Guangzhou Airport

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Similar experience when arriving during December. Total disorganisation meets you upon arrival - the Chinese have no concept of Transit Passengers so everyone has to Book Out and then Book In! China Southern staff then brought Passports and Boarding Cards for the onward journey to Manila - they did not speak English and it took 10 minutes to distribute three Passports.

(South Korea)

It's freezing baffling and poorly organized. Even the color scheme evokes misery. We had the misfortune to have two 5 hour layovers there in the course of a week. Both were awful experiences. The ridiculous way they handle transfers - taking your passports and then waving them around to a large group of people is strange. Then you go through additional security where they are sure to confiscate things that got through your departure airport fine. In the terminal the selection of restaurants is very poor. Each was overpriced and the food was awful. One of the restaurants offers a plate of pringles for ten dollars. The stores are strange - I bought a bottle of water at the same store during each layover. That same bottle of water cost me a different amount each time. The price they charged my boyfriend for a can of beer was in two currencies - they wanted two dollars and two yuan. I'm pretty sure they were just arbitrarily choosing prices. The place was the bleakest airport I've ever been in and I never want to go back.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

If you fly into CAN during the winter bring plenty of extra clothing. No heat. It is the largest most disorganized coldest airport I have ever entered and departed. International to domestic or domestic to international is the worst I have ever seen. But the schedule of flights is great. You can get to any where in the world form CAN so I guess you cannot have the best of two worlds. Just prepare to be cold during the winter.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Looks like an impressive building but with some problems. Transiting was a hassle as mentioned by others before. There are long queues at security and probably due to Asian Games they will frisk everyone. The worst part is the smoking areas at the international departure are a serious design flaw. There is no separate room with proper separate ventilation system. The smoking areas are just designated corners right next to the washrooms nursing rooms and drinking water! Worse there is one smoking area for every two boarding gates. All the international holding areas for the boarding gates are filled with putrid smoke. While my family with children were waiting there for 4 hours waiting in transit we had to escape to somewhere near the immigration counter further away from the boarding gates. Anyone coming to Guangzhou who doesn't want to inhale second hand smoke please bring a gas mask.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

We passed through CAN as transit passengers. We missed our connecting flight because there was no one at the transfer desk for China Southern Airlines for a good half-hour after we arrived causing us to miss our flight. We were rebooked on a flight several hours later giving as ample time to enjoy the departure area. Transfers at this airport even between international flights require passing through immigration and the process seems fairly disorganized. Someone takes your passport you wait and wait and wait not knowing what's going on. Eventually you are escorted to the departures area where you have to pass through another security checkpoint. When we were there security staff were not allowing transit passengers to take through bottles purchased in the duty-free areas of their initial departure airports which caused considerable argument from passengers. Once through security the departures area is spacious and clean enough. There is no airport-wide wi-fi although one can surreptitiously find a connection and log on if standing close enough to one of the airport lounges. There are a number of the standard kinds of duty-free liquor tobacco and luxury goods shops and several souvenir shops. The one bookstore has books and magazines only in Chinese. There are some restaurants/snack bars with comfortable chairs and good views of the tarmac and planes and staff don't seem to mind if you camp out there for awhile if you order something. Food prices are probably high for China but didn't seem outrageous. Still given the badly organized transit procedures and in our case apparent lack of concern for customer service from airline staff. this airport is best avoided if you're only transiting through it.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

New metro service to the airport is filled to crush levels not ideal for travellers. Flying to Brisbane but it was written as Bu Li Si Ban on screens causing much confusion. Food was ridiculously expensive with an apple juice in a small high ball glass costing almost AU$10 or 58CNY. Outside the airport would only be 5 or 6CNY. Security was very tight due to Asian Games being held in GZ. There is a golf cart taxi service too to get from one side of the airport to another due to the expansive size of the place.

(Thailand)

I found the check-in system confusing to say the least. Eventually I saw a small line with mixed nationalities and decided this mist be the Thai flight to Bangkok. I was right. But there was no signage to indicate this. just a blank screen. And on the departure floor there was only one money change. Despite several flights a day to Bangkok they dont change baht. They couldnt even tell me what the exchange rate was. But they would give me US$$. I decided to take a chance and change it in Bangkok. Smart move as it turned out as there is no commission fee. If looking for somewhere to eat go down to the floor between departures and arrivals. A quick example - a capuccino down there was 32 CNY and on the departures floor 65 CNY. And its the latter price if you wait until after clearing immigration. The customs line on arrival hasn't changed from a previous comment.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

We were transit from Bangkok to Hong Kong through Guangzhou. Be very aware when transiting in CAN! Upon approaching customs you inform the agent that you are transit passengers. He or she will not stamp your passport but then will take the passport and boarding pass for the continuing flight and give it to a man in uniform who stuffs it into his back pocket and orders you to stand in an area six feet from customs with the other transit folks. After gathering three or four passports this uniformed character runs off to an office. I observed this occurring for five or six additional passengers. Then after about twenty minutes a young lady in uniform returns with a stack of ten or twelve passports - you must follow her around and point our your passport with she finally gives back to you. The boarding pass has a bunch of new stamps on it and you are led through a gate (with this group of unrelated transit passengers) and through a new security point and back into the gate area. A very intimidating and sloppy process - would not recommend that anyone ever transit through CAN. Later we found the terminal dirty and cold expensive and most employees were useless in explaining our six our delay in the continuing forty minute flight to HKG.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Modern and clean. Clearing customs was slow and frustrating due to only one line being available for foreigners despite other custom officers having nothing to do. Received bags around 35 min after leaving the aircraft which is a little slow. Finding the check in desk for a connecting domestic flight was difficult due to a lack of signage and airport staff sending me the wrong direction despite showing my ticket. Was stopped by an english speaking man pretending to be airport staff and asking for my ticket and money caution advised. Airport has many restaurants shops and money exchangers. My general impression was good but it can be a little difficult for the first time visitor.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Very new airport and far better than the old Guangzhou airport BUT - I have passed through this airport three times once missing my plane and twice nearly missing my plane. Reasons are the amazing queues everywhere from the check in to (especially) the security control. I do not understand why this has to be so much less efficient than Shanghai or Beijing? Last time I came at 6:30 for an 8:25 plane (domestic flight to Shanghai) and reached it just in the nick of time. Therefore be early. Apart from that though nice and spacious the lousy quality is giving it away: Leaky roof piping atrocious toilets with broken local electronic equipment. No international newspapers etc. despite being an international airport. And the walkways are dominated by these battery driven transportation cars for passengers which are outright dangerous due to sheer speed. In other places such cars are for the disabled here they seem to be only for the lazy ones.