Guangzhou Airport

(China)

Even though it is more recent than Pudong Terminal A it is already falling apart. Today most of the escalators and moving walkways seemed to be out of order. This is the same as 2 months ago. The toilets are disgusting and filthy. Cars which in other countries are for transporting the disabled are here for rent and are driven at reckless speeds through the crowds. The queuing is bad at the best of times the number of checkpoints is too small. (Checking the old reviews I found that I had written a similar comment before in 2009 - seems that nothing ever changes at Guangzhou airport only that the equipment is now even more decrepit than in 2009).

(Taiwan)

This review is on the two international to international connections I had earlier this month. Transit Immigration: there are a whole jumble of lines with an unclear demarcation between transit and non-transit flows and no clear signage. Queue jumping/cutting is rampant. Security screening: Transiting passengers are funnelled into a single line for security screening. Only one metal detector/x-ray machine. Terminal looks nice on first sight but that's about it. This was the coldest terminal I have ever encountered. Despite promises of a "transit lounge" in the China Southern Airlines Magazine there is actually no such lounge (at least in the international side). It is nigh impossible for non-china customers to get an Internet connection. Decent number of shops but not much variety. There are only 3 eateries. Bathrooms were scarce and filthy. To top it all off nearly all of the customer service personnel were very rude. All in all falls far short of expectations as a supposedly "modern airport."

(Sweden)

I have travelled through this airport twice on a return trip Stockholm to Sydney. It was a transit stop only both times but took 3 hours to get through customs. English is poor communication is poor and service is poor. They lost my bag. I saw it on the carousel and said it needed to be re-checked and a new luggage tag assigned. Staff said they would do it and that I couldn't go down to do it myself.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Hanoi-Guangzhou-Beijing. Landed from Hanoi it was easy to walk through immigration and customs. China Southern does not tag luggage through to Beijing so I had to pick up my luggage and check-in again in Guangzhou. Immigration was fast staff friendly and helpful. There are plenty of signs to direct transit passengers at CAN. Before immigration there is a counter for international-international transfer. After immigration and luggage pick up area there is a domestic transfer area so you don't have to go outside then upstairs to check-in. It was a relatively easy process. Domestic boarding process can be painful. There are A and B areas and you need to check your boarding carefully. Two areas have different security checking points. It took me another 30 minutes to go through the long queue and pass the security check. There are plenty of shops restaurants and cafes at CAN. Toilets are not that clean. Overall transit at Guangzhou airport was not as bad as I expected.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

As a transit passenger travelling through to Melbourne outbound and Amsterdam via Beijing on my return on both occasions this airport was hopeless. Not only were there long immigration queues but I was asked to fill out two separate forms which were not made clear making it necessary to re-join the back of the queue on both occasions. Once through immigration my passport was taken without explanation and following a 10 mins wait I was ushered out of the airport despite being in transit. I had to check myself back in again with no direction and made to sit on the floor with other transit passengers for 2 hours with no water or toilets. Airport staff were rude unhelpful and didn't speak English. My experiences in this airport have ensured I will never travel through Guangzhou again.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Vancouver to Guangzhou connected to Nepal. Very clean and very large. We arrived for a 2 hr layover and then connected to another international flight. Had to go thru security get photographed and passport stamped before re-entering the departure level. Also had to go thru security frisk and handbag xray. The xray person was very angry at everyone and all she did was yell and scream in Chinese. No one had an idea what was going on. The other staff member tried in broken english to help passengers run the gauntlet of this abusive female. When we returned we ran thru the same procedure except the staff was nice. As a matter of fact I left my wallet and the xray machine and the 2 staff members tracked me down in the airport and returned it. Talk about excellent service. Well done Guangzhou!

(Thailand)

One of the worst airports I've experienced. The staff have poor English skills. The airport is disorganized. The queues at security check were extremely long and I spent 1 hour there at customs and that was enough for me in Guangzhou Airport.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Sydney to Manchester. The flight was via Beijing and Amsterdam. When the flight arrived an official pointed my self and several other passengers to a corner took our passports and motioned for us to stay there. We were quite worried and had no idea what was happening. 15 minutes later he came back with stamped passports and pointed us towards some steps. With difficulty we worked out which direction we were supposed to be heading. On the way back a similar situation took place. This time about a dozen of us has about an hour to get from one plane to another our passports were taken and only at this point were boarding passes issued. One lady was arguing with the airport attendant who had taken her passport then lost it. It took several other passengers to point out that she had taken the ladies passport. After running to get to the plane going to Australia it set off 30 mins late due to other passenger not being able to get there on time. I will never take this route again.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Paris to Hanoi via Guangzhou return a 16 hr transit time on the way in and 8 hrs on the return. The transit area is small albeit rich in hard seats. No room to relax and sleep. Shops overpriced no books in English available restaurants overpriced security staff particularly rude and impolite the boarding calls are loud and attacked my nerves. There was no available free drinking water on the way back. I managed to place a call to Vietnam using my French Visa card - I was charged EUR 42 for 1minute. Yes 42 EUR. I will never again travel via Guangzhou - no sense of customer relationship customer management and comfort facilities.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Was curious what CAN would be like before I flew there. The airport was humid and the air conditioning system was not turned on when I arrived at 5am. Eventually it was turned on when the crowds started coming in around 7am. I was transferring through the airport and I did not have to queue for more than 2 mins at any counter. It is a very large terminal and I could see janitors cleaning the area from time to time. The smoking areas were located downstairs along with the lavatories too but I managed to spot another lavatory on the same floor as the departures. A lot of seats were allocated in the waiting area and I found a corner to sit and rest for 8hrs waiting for my next flight. China Southern has really applaudable transfer staff. Avoid the over priced shops and restaurants in the departure hall.