Guangzhou Airport

Guangzhou Airport customer review

The airport has that common architectural "airport" feel but compared to even mediocre airports in the United States this one fails on many levels. There is no Starbucks no wifi and no English magazines. I flew to Guangzhou from Incheon then from Guangzhou to LAX. 4 hour layover which turned into a 5 hour layover. I had a meal at one of the restaurants. $15 dollars for a plate of dumplings and a Chinese soda. Even though your computer or phone may pick up the "free airport wifi" you will quickly notice that it requires a username and password and that the "English" link on the log-in website doesn't work. The bathrooms were dirty and required going downstairs. The seats were cramped and uncomfortable.

(New Zealand)

My husband and I recently transferred from international to domestic at Guangzhou when flying from Vietnam to Beijing with China Southern Airlines without any troubles. We had read other travellers comments before arriving and once we got there found it hard to believe that people were talking about the same airport. We found everything to be very well laid out with clear sign-age in both Chinese and English as well as most of the staff being able to speak enough English to help point us in the right direction. We arrived with 4 other flights and more staff were immediately added to process all of the travellers so that we did not have very long and booking into our next flight at the transfer desk was fast efficient and friendly. Airport security is very rarely full of smiles so why would this airport be any different? Having said this the security personnel were very professional and courteous treating us better than other international airports I have travelled through. On a whole the airport is clean there are plenty of shops restrooms smoking rooms and eateries and it is easy to navigate; I wouldn't hesitate to travel through here again.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

I went through Guangzhou airport from Sydney with transfer to Kunming. It was an early flight so things went pretty smoothly. Although I flew China Southern business class China Southern does not allow the use of its facilities. The public toilets are not international level. Customs seemed ok but having read other reviews I allowed plenty of time and only had carry on luggage and my briefcase. There's only overpriced kiosk /shops that sell the usual soft drinks and Chinese snacks. I paid something like $8au for an ice drink/dessert frappe think.

(China)

Only ever used CAN for domestic travel for which it is ok. The good: direct bus service to many nearby cities; check-in and security check quite fast; very short walk after arrival to the baggage claim area and baggage arrives within minutes. The bad: terribly overpriced restaurants filthy toilets uncomfortable seats in the waiting area. Overall the quick check-in and security as well as baggage delivery (just) outweigh the negatives for me.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Very very poor example of an international airport dirty unfriendly staff free wifi but only if you are Chinese. No ATM or money changer in the departure lounge so unless you have a credit card RMB or American dollars you can't do anything. Would not recommend this airport.

(South Korea)

After reading the horror tales of transferring flights in CAN the whole process of customs and screening to get to the international departures only took 25min. The process has obviously been streamlined there were 4 counters to handled the international transfers. A quick scan of the passport and a stamp is all it took. The biggest delay was the security screening as there was only one x-ray machine in use. In the international departures you can use a credit card if you spend more than 50 Yuan. However the food and drinks are over priced.

(China)

Even though it is more recent than Pudong Terminal A it is already falling apart. Today most of the escalators and moving walkways seemed to be out of order. This is the same as 2 months ago. The toilets are disgusting and filthy. Cars which in other countries are for transporting the disabled are here for rent and are driven at reckless speeds through the crowds. The queuing is bad at the best of times the number of checkpoints is too small. (Checking the old reviews I found that I had written a similar comment before in 2009 - seems that nothing ever changes at Guangzhou airport only that the equipment is now even more decrepit than in 2009).

(Taiwan)

This review is on the two international to international connections I had earlier this month. Transit Immigration: there are a whole jumble of lines with an unclear demarcation between transit and non-transit flows and no clear signage. Queue jumping/cutting is rampant. Security screening: Transiting passengers are funnelled into a single line for security screening. Only one metal detector/x-ray machine. Terminal looks nice on first sight but that's about it. This was the coldest terminal I have ever encountered. Despite promises of a "transit lounge" in the China Southern Airlines Magazine there is actually no such lounge (at least in the international side). It is nigh impossible for non-china customers to get an Internet connection. Decent number of shops but not much variety. There are only 3 eateries. Bathrooms were scarce and filthy. To top it all off nearly all of the customer service personnel were very rude. All in all falls far short of expectations as a supposedly "modern airport."

(Sweden)

I have travelled through this airport twice on a return trip Stockholm to Sydney. It was a transit stop only both times but took 3 hours to get through customs. English is poor communication is poor and service is poor. They lost my bag. I saw it on the carousel and said it needed to be re-checked and a new luggage tag assigned. Staff said they would do it and that I couldn't go down to do it myself.

Guangzhou Airport customer review

Hanoi-Guangzhou-Beijing. Landed from Hanoi it was easy to walk through immigration and customs. China Southern does not tag luggage through to Beijing so I had to pick up my luggage and check-in again in Guangzhou. Immigration was fast staff friendly and helpful. There are plenty of signs to direct transit passengers at CAN. Before immigration there is a counter for international-international transfer. After immigration and luggage pick up area there is a domestic transfer area so you don't have to go outside then upstairs to check-in. It was a relatively easy process. Domestic boarding process can be painful. There are A and B areas and you need to check your boarding carefully. Two areas have different security checking points. It took me another 30 minutes to go through the long queue and pass the security check. There are plenty of shops restaurants and cafes at CAN. Toilets are not that clean. Overall transit at Guangzhou airport was not as bad as I expected.