Guangzhou Airport

"Airport signage is poorly put together"

Not Verified | This was the first time we have flown with China Southern. The selling point was the cheaper airfare featuring free airport hotel for passengers with an 8 hour transit and above. We thought that would be a great rest after such a long flight from Amsterdam. Upon arrival, there were barely any detailed signs to explain the process that we had to endure. There was only 1 customer service member on behalf of China Southern who explained in bits and pieces, that we fill a temporary visa application form followed by "take a number" sticker. He was only able to take 10-15 passports at a time which lasts up to 2 hours per call. The Custom Officers took their time to process our passports. Even after a few of us who had our passports back to go, we were stopped and had to wait again because our visas were not signed off properly. Thereafter, we rushed around looking for the hotel accommodation counter in the airport, which sends us up and down escalators as the Airport signage is poorly put together. We then had to wait around for a bus to take us to a hotel of our choice. We arrived at Guangzhou airport at 7am and did not get into a hotel until 12.30pm.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"less than expectation"

Trip Verified | Less than expectation for a Tier 1 Chinese City International Airport. Still long way to go for an International Airport Standard. Totally not recommended for transit or international arrival of departures. Would still be pretty average for a domestic Chinese Airport, Shanghai Hongqiao is a far better Chinese domestic airport with better terminal, shopping and dining options.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"still lacks some fundamental facilities"

Trip Verified | The Airport at Guangzhou though modernised still lacks some fundamental facilities for passengers. There is a long wait for security clearance, and the ground staff are not adequately trained to advise passengers of the various clearance procedures. The Airport signage is complex and needs to be reviewed. Ground staff performance very poor.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"absolutely no facilities whatsoever"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | The most terrible airport with the worst staff and absolutely no facilities whatsoever. I made the terrible mistake of travelling through China Southern Airlines and had a transit at Guangzhou Airport for 13 hours. Under usual circumstances, a passenger with stay of >8 hours is given a hotel as per the airline policy however it is not true. Airport staff declined and did not issue transit visas. I had to spend 13 hours at the airport with limited wifi, no recliners or proper chairs. More so, the money exchange does not even accept any currency other that USD and none of the lounges accept card payment. Food is overpriced and even their McDonalds is strange with only 4 combos on the menu to choose from, nothing else at all. Worst experience. Never going back.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"few employees speak English"

Not Verified | Very few employees can speak English. I realize not everyone does, but there are so many tourist and if they want visitors, they need to speak some. The employees are rude! Told me there was no where to eat. I had a long layover. I was able to find a restaurant that charged me $30 USD for 2 small bowls of noodles. The gift shop wanted $16 USD for a bag of M&M’s. Unfortunately I didn’t get a visa to go in to the City. I hope I never have a layover here again.

"dirty, old and so hot"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | Arriving mid-morning from Amsterdam we found ourselves waiting for over 2 hours to get through customs for our “Visa Free” 2-night stay. There were just 2 customs officials on for hordes of arriving passengers with maybe 10 others just standing around behind these 2. When we were but 2 away from the counters they put another one official. The female official my partner approached for all to hear yelled “give me your passport hurry!” The “where is you visa, why are you here, quickly!!” At this time, I was up with an official next who was laughing at the treatment my partner was receiving from this screaming female. My officer asked to see our departing ticket and I advised that my partner had my ticket out of the country currently showing the other official. He proceeded to ask for this from his colleague who screamed “they should have two copies” and to my partner “give this to him now!” We were both appalled by the treatment we received for no other reason than we had to wait over 2 hours to get through customs. What a way to start our shopping trip in Guangzhou. Had we a choice we would have jumped on the next plane home rather than stay. Perhaps this swayed our opinion otherwise but the airport was dirty, mostly very old and so hot! Our flight home was delayed 3 hours due to apparent “weather conditions” which was interesting as after doing an internet search I found no untoward weather conditions anywhere on route. The airport incredibly hot once again. I hope never to have to return!
Date VisitAugust 2017

"great shopping varieties"

(China)

Verified Review | Singapore to Shanghai Hongqiao round trip transit in Guangzhou. I was surprised that despite my first leg was delayed for both ways and left me less than an hour for my connection, I managed to make it on time. The ground staff drives a vehicle to send transit passengers (international to domestic and domestic to international). Because of this, I did not have time to explore the airport, but I suppose it is a great airport in terms of ground services and shopping varieties.
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"Just not acceptable"

Unverified | Arrived from Sydney, 2nd July at 6pm. Had a 6 hour layover, which was fine. Boarded flight bound for Amsterdam on time at 11.15pm. Advised by cabin crew of one hour delay due to weather. I am an airplane person and do not accept this explanation. No further advice until takeoff at 6.00am. There was a near riot on the plane which resulted in police removing one passenger. I noted that there were a number of arrivals during this time, but no departures. I'm aware that the Chinese Air Force regularly close the airspace for their own needs. Not sure if this was the cause or not. I do note that flying recommenced at daylight, which seems a little suspicious, and made me wonder if the delay was down to a systems failure of navaids at the airport. I will not now consider any flights routing through China in the future, and I believe that many others are probably coming to the same conclusion. A six-hour on board delay is shocking, and more so when there is no indication of why or how long one will be on the aircraft. In the end the passengers were on this aircraft for 19 hours between boarding and arrival in Amsterdam, and there are other flights that boarded earlier that were bound for long-haul destinations, that would have fared worse. Just not acceptable.
Date VisitJuly 2017

"I am not complaining"

Verified Review | Had a layover at Guangzhou for 5 hours and was pleasantly surprised after reading some of the reviews. On our trip out we had a quick change over 30 minutes and the staff were excellent getting us through to board our next plane. We were issued stickers and were whisked through. On our way home we made sure we had an empty bottle so we could fill up with the free fresh water which is on offer, also boiling water, so if you are organised and have some Tea bags get your self a cuppa as well. The coffee is very expensive $20AU a cup but on the other hand I found the cheapest airport beer ever at the A02 gate shop $3 330ml so drink beer and water and you are laughing. There are massage chairs which worked out at $14AU for an hour. Also near the massage chairs there is soft seating with a few spots you can stretch right out. There are a couple of good restaurants that take card and a few places that don't. McDonalds for the brekky deal is $7AU. Good to have $20AU in chinese currency. Still not Singapore but when you get deals like Southern China have to offer I am not complaining.
Date VisitJune 2017

"Minimal communication from staff"

Verified Review | 7.30pm flight to JFK New York was delayed due to weather - nowhere to sit as to be expected when you cram hundreds of people into 1 holding area with a few seats. Some passengers ended up sitting on the floor, squatting or perching on low metal rails around the holding area. Minimal communication from staff as to whether we could expect to leave that night, or whether we could head back upstairs to the main area with more seats/lounges whilst waiting. Boarding finally opened at 9.30pm, 2 hours post-scheduled departure time. Terrible service from China Southern Airlines staff - minimal explanations in English regarding changes in boarding gates. Was advised to wait at gate A02 multiple times, only for us to recognise other people who had been queuing ahead of us for the same flight actually boarding at a different gate at the very last minute. Noticed a China Southern Airlines staff member holding a cardboard sign stating "New York" when the crowd finally cleared. Went to ask staff again and told "oops yes, final call at gate A05". If we hadn't been keeping an eye out for familiar faces or noticed the cardboard sign, we would've missed our flight - unbelievable in an age where most airports have electronic signs and also gate staff to make announcements. Waited onboard the plane for further 2-2.5 hours (now 12am), only to be finally told that flight was now cancelled as the plane had been struck by lightning and had sustained damage. Herded back off the flight onto buses towards the terminal where it was utter chaos as China Southern Airlines staff just stood around telling people to wait for further information. There were literally hundreds of people (from cancelled flights and also passengers waiting to board other flights) were waiting in a stuffy holding area with no food or water. Eventually a group of us demanded that we be provided with temporary accommodations and finally China Southern Airlines herded us all upstairs (for what we assumed was customs/immigrations as this was never actually explained). After waiting in line for 1.5 hours, got to the front of the immigration queue and was denied access as we hadn't gotten proper paperwork. China Southern Airlines staff literally just stood around dumbfounded, despite us explaining that we did not have proper paperwork as we were only meant to be transiting through the airport. Cue further chaos as more passengers were met with the same dilemma after lining up for 1.5-2 hours. Thankfully I am able to speak and understand some Mandarin and was able to communicate these frustrations to China Southern Airlines staff, however it then fell to me to translate for the other passengers because CSA staff could not / would not speak in English! Absolutely appalling! Ended up in a group of American, Filipino, Singaporean, Australian, Colombian passengers so that I could translate for them. After voicing our frustrations, we were finally led around a grand tour of the airport before finally getting through to the other side of immigration (and thus the temporary accommodation that had been arranged) - 3 hours after getting off the flight. Unfortunately this was not the end of our saga but that is the gist of it. Apart from the hotel, there was no provisions made for food or toiletries. Worst experience ever. ** asked FOR TICKET
Date VisitJune 2017