Guangzhou Airport

"staff were friendly and helpful"

When doing any trip, you research. I read the reviews of the prices for food and beverage at this airport, so that was no surprise. But I found it to be clean, bathrooms, seating areas etc. It was winter almost and it was heated. Staff were generous with directions. I had a 6 hour in transit wait. Was comfortable even though it was near 12.10am, staff were friendly and helpful.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"avoid the food and beverage if you can"

Large modern airport but had to board a B777 from a bus which is a long climb if you are not too able. Some staff were more helpful than others and there was a bit of a language problem with signage, often a situation at many airports. Avoid the food and beverage if you can, I paid $10.13 for an Americano coffee, prices are in Yuan only. China Southern flights are good value and my four were all on time.
Date VisitNovember 2016

"facilities are easy to be found and accessed"

It is not bad at all. All signs are displayed clearly and all facilities are easy to be found and accessed. The Customs is a bit slow but still acceptable. Security checks are fast and efficient. Boarding gates are too far away sometimes and the transit buses are too busy, which made the experience a bit disappointing. In general I feel this is one of the best airports in China.

"It wasn't that bad"

Had transits totalling 8 hours. Was dreading this given reviews I had seen. It wasn't that bad. Yes the food and drink is limited and it is expensive but in my travels I haven't found too many bargains at any airport. The restrooms are clean and spacious. There is cool and warm water available and the departure area is clean and spacious. Appreciate that there is limited ability to stretch across most seats but there are a few available where this is possible. If you can take Yuan you are probably better off than trying to use credit cards. Coffee is a real killer with prices ranging from AUD $6 to $15. I got a $2 iced coffee out of a vending machine (but this only took notes).
Date VisitNovember 2016

"transiting international to domestic was a nightmare"

I transited through Guangzhou twice on the following routing - New York - Guangzhou - Beijing, and then Kashgar - Urumqi - Guangzhou - New York. My experience transiting international to domestic was a nightmare. My flight from New York landed at 5.25am, and my flight to Beijing was scheduled for 8am. I barely made it due to a number of bottlenecks that really shouldn't exist in any international airline hub. 1) Landing. Instead of the aircraft taxiing to a jetbridge, we parked at a remote stand and the airport used 3 buses to bring us to the terminal. As I was seated in the back of the plane I was on the third bus of three which meant that we had to wait for every last passenger to leave the aircraft, including those who needed extra assistance in using the rickety stairs to exit the plane - total time standing on the bus waiting for the last passenger to finally board - 15 minutes. 2) Immigration. After reaching the terminal passengers transiting to other international flights were routed through one door, while those of us transiting to domestic flights were sent through the main immigration area. Luckily my flight landed just ahead of 2 or 3 other flights and so there were maybe 50 people ahead of me in the "foreigner" line. In spite of this it took almost 30 minutes to clear immigration. There were only four immigration officials on duty and the airport employee responsible for managing the line kept diverting Chinese passengers to "our" line (in spite of Chinese passengers having automated e-channels and a number of their own immigration officials, and basically zero line). By the time I got to the front of the line there were approx 150 anxious foreigners behind me waiting. Total time spent waiting - 30 minutes (had I been 10 minutes later it likely would have been well over an hour). 3) Baggage. All information I'd read told me I'd need to collect my bags an then recheck them after customs. This appears to no longer be the case but I spent 15 minutes waiting until I asked. - 15 minutes 4) Security. Before transiting to my next flight I had to wait almost 40 minutes in line to get through security. They let one passenger "in" a a time who then has to empty his bag of electronic devices, put it through the machine, get through the metal detector etc. before the next passenger was allowed to start the process. Incredibly inefficient and first class passengers (we assume) kept cutting the line leading to flared tempers with some economy class passengers steadfastly refusing to let first class passengers skip. - 45 minutes. 5). Transiting to domestic section. You are then asked to climb on board a 12 seat buggy that will leave when full for the domestic terminal - 10 minutes 5. The flight information screens are not intuitive at all. I couldn't even find my flight. They are small TV screens that appear to have no methodology as to what they display. I had to ask an attendant to tell me the gate. She did, but then sent me in the wrong direction, wasting around 10 minutes - 10 minutes. Overall the inbound experience was extremely stressful. The outbound experience on the other hand (going from a domestic flight to an international flight) was incredibly fast and smooth. 5 minute wait at immigration, 2 minute wait at security, the international departures area has plenty of signs/screens and the experience was much more like what I have experienced in Hong Kong or Singapore.
Date VisitSeptember 2016

"transfer and arrivals was terrible"

(Israel)

Verified Review | The queueing for domestic transfer and arrivals at the passport control in Guangzhou was terrible. The worst I have seen - we almost missed a connection despite having 2 hours 20 minutes. I have instructed my travel agent to avoid using this aitport in the future. The queue system was in groups - not even an organised line. I have no experience about any other facilities as I was all the time in line

"long queues"

Never again will I use this airport. Long queues for customs and immigration and because of this I actually missed my connecting flight to Beijing. The transfer staff were very unhelpful but I did manage to get home even if it was later than expected. Prices for coffee were extortionate. Would not recommend going there unless all the queues for immigration etc are improved massively and the staff given training on how to help passengers not hinder them. Having air conditioning would be an advantage.

"plenty of seating"

(New Zealand)

After reading so many poor reviews of Guangzhou airport, I was expecting the worst. To our delight, we found the airport clean, bright, with plenty of seating, good range of food options, free wifi (and we didn't need a Chinese cell number) and the signage in English. Food was expensive but no more expensive than Charles de Gaulle airport which we left. Staff also helpful and spoke English.
Date VisitAugust 2016

"international arrival is so limited"

(China)

The place for international arrival is so limited, small and the sign is not apparent. Nobody will check your plane ticket to ensure that you have take you baggage and when I was focusing my phone and missed the place to taking baggage, that I had to wait my friend to help me take that. I think the arrival place before the customs check should have a sign to remind the people about this.
Date VisitJuly 2016

"too expensive for the quality"

(Philippines)

Delayed, cancelled and rerouted. After transiting this airport, I've experienced everything. Always due to "bad weather" even if the sky is perfectly clear. Food in restaurants are too expensive for the quality. Very few choices, mostly local dishes available
Date VisitJuly 2016