Frankfurt Main Airport

"worst major airport in Europe"

Trip Verified | Probably the worst major airport in Europe. I have travelled through the big European airports of Amsterdam, London Heathrow, and Paris CDG, but they all are so much better and modern compared to Frankfurt. The terminal signs all point to different directions. The waiting time at security is extremely long and tedious. The terminals are drab and old. It takes a lot of navigating to go between the two terminals. There are few seats available. Even rarer are places where you can charge electronic devices. Some of the staff the rudest, while a few are friendly. The wifi connection is unstable, and goes on and off.

"Delays, lines, chaos"

(Uruguay)

Trip Verified | Avoid this airport at all costs. Delays, lines, chaos everywhere. An hour and a half is simply not enough time to get a connection flight. Flew in from Kraków yesterday. No passenger bus upon plane's arrival (passengers unloaded on to tarmac). Had to wait. Finally get to terminal and run through airport. Have to go through immigration/border control. Not one desk, but two. Finally get through there, and literally have to run again to gate. Once I get to the gate, plane is boarding and they tell me I have to get secondary screening, and man takes me back about 15 gates (where I already ran past) so they can swab my shoes and carry on bag. 15 mins later, again, I run back to gate to barely catch flight (no bathroom break here). Seriously, I didn't go to Frankfurt to work out! Absolutely ridiculous, chaotic, and barely possible. Less than 2 hour layover and you will miss your flight if you have the same encounters I did. No excuse for one of the biggest European airports to be this unorganized. I understand security and have never run into this at Munich, either London airports, or Brussels, or even any American airports. Security is definitely important, but this airport is out of control. Pages and pages of complaints with few compliments, and all complaints are basically the same. Blame the federal police or the airlines - never Frankfurt airport's fault!

"not a lot of signage"

Trip Verified | Awful airport. So many queues, too many security check points. I had to queue twice for one of these lines because a security personel forgot to stamp my boarding pass. Easy to get lost in because not a lot of signage, and once you’re in a terminal hall there’s no place to find your connecting flight info unless you walk out to the main hall. Only one charging station, which is also in the main hall.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"endless lengthy queues for security"

Not Verified | The good aspects (clean and refurbished, good shops, nice looking coffee places and potential to be a good Senator lounge) are eradicated and irrelevant if you struggle to get to them. The struggle/barrier is due to probably the worst security queue shambles I have witnessed in years. The airport had (at 4pm, 13/09/2018) endless lengthy queues for security. This was made worse by (unbelievably) shutting further lanes as the queue lengthened. The experience was perhaps the slowest moving and hopeless security process I have witnessed for sum time. Even the supposed Fast Track Star Gold was anything but 'fast' - taking 30 minutes. As its all so slow, the process gums up as people close to missing flights have to jump the queue. Then others get delayed going through and then get late too and create more (needed) queue jumping. I never thought I'd see an airport security process worse run than New York, but Frankfurt has managed to take that crown. (At least the Frankfurt staff were polite, no doubt under considerable pressure as there clearly are not enough of them or machines).

"unorganized, endless queues"

(Austria)

Not Verified | I like to fly fra for US and european destinations. Clean, organized, short waiting time at checkpoints. However I was astonished when I flew to Mumbai from c gates terminal 1: unorganized, endless queues, contradictory or absent guides and marks, personnel evidently overloaded and at the edge of unfriendliness. Wifi only per registration.

"airport to be avoided"

Not Verified | Passengers in transit have to go through security checks - all alcohol bought at the departure airport had to be put in the bin! An hour lost for queue through security checks even though we were in transit! Staff ignored us when we asked to be fast-tracked so we dont miss our connected flight! Rude and unprofessional staff, chaotic and overloaded airport to be avoided if only possible! Never again! My worst experience!
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"avoid Frankfurt by any means"

Not Verified | Probably the worst airport in Europe. I didn’t check the ticket that my secretary booked for me and didn’t notice that I had to go through this structural absurdity. Since, I consider to either fire her or spoil her coffee with Tabasco for at least a month. Flights are always late or connections are inefficient. They made us wait in the plane for one hour in Wroclaw because Frankfurt controllers don’t provide any authorization. It’s like there’s a constant storm over Frankfurt. In one word, avoid Frankfurt by any means, better to take a bus or a boat. Thank you Germany for your Deutsch Qualität, but you know what, keep it for yourself.
Date VisitSeptember 2018

"Not one of the best experiences"

(Finland)

Not Verified | Not one of the best experiences! Having lived in Frankfurt years ago, I well remember the original terminal, which functioned very well, however when flying back to Finland the newer Terminal 2 was used. Having checked the check-in counter number carefully, it was not east to find, in fact it was touched away in a corner, with no obvious signage. I have always been critical of London Heathrow, but at least their signage is clear and continuous, something Frankfurt could learn from, in addition the air conditioning was awful, unpleasant and virtually non existent. The public toilets were, from what I experienced awful, filthy and lacking products, it is as though they have never been checked. Security was slow, with dated equipment, quite a contrast from leaving Helsinki, where it was quick, courteous and certainly the most up to date technology. Perhaps the management should look at these comments, as I am certainly not the only one to be disappointed with Frankfurt am Main airport.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"requested us to wait in a bus"

(Tunisia)

Trip Verified | To go from the gate to the airplane, the personnel requested us to wait in a bus. Wa have been waiting for 15 minutes in a tunnel where air circulation was not working (or working very poorly). The bus had its doors open and we were breathing for 15 minutes rejected air from cars, buses and other means of transport using that tunnel. One lady (passenger) was feeling bad and was about to fall down.

"no trolleys available"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | We departed from Frankfurt airport, flying to New Zealand via Singapore. We had a rental car for the duration of our 4 weeks stay and pick up and drop off are easy! My gripe is that there are no trolleys available immediately where you drop off the car. When I finally found the trolleys there is a €1 charge which can only be paid by credit card. These trolleys should be free of charge as for example in Singapore and many other airports around the world. There should be more food and beverage outlets near the Gates.