Frankfurt Main Airport

"the worst experience ever"

Trip Verified | Frankfurt Main Airport is the worst experience ever. Having been re-routed through FRA to UK, I was required to land, collect bags in order to connect. At passport control, having been first off the plane, I was redirected about a quarter of a mile to a different checkpoint that had only one operator and a single queue with a plane load in front of me. I walked back to the original control gates and sailed through those in under a minute- but only after a long, stressful and hot walk. Baggage carts cost a Euro, but the card readers don’t work, so if you don’t have a coin you must carry your bag. Carts cannot be taken everywhere (including the transit shuttle between terminals, and many lifts) so you have to keep re-renting them. Lifts don’t cover all levels in the terminal so you have to exit one lift and cross to another to complete a journey to the top floor (terminal transfers). The information desk ‘customer advisor’ was extremely rude when I asked him to call my airline I was connecting with to advise I was running to checkin, after a late arrival and clumsy route between airlines. He told me “ They won’t care.” On pressing him to call for me he said “I’ve been working here 10 years and the answer’s no!” I missed my connection, which was the last flight to London. FRA was suffering workers strikes the following day and 90% of flights were cancelled, so I got the train to Düsseldorf and a flight home from there. I will never again attempt to connect through Frankfurt (or fly there) if I can possibly avoid it.
Date VisitApril 2018

" will avoid using Frankfurt"

Trip Verified | Absolute disgrace. Unfortunately had to transit on a journey from Miami to Birmingham. First of all it is quite a trek from Terminal Z to Terminal B. Thankfully we had nearly four hours between flights. On arrival at Terminal B we were directed to an alternative security check because the queues were shorter. After standing in line for 20 minutes we were advised that the machine was ‘kaput’. Back to the original security check area where the queues were absolutely horrendous with many very stressed passengers whose flights were boarding. After another wait of some 30 minutes we eventually cleared security. Our next transit flight in Germany is in Munich, a far more civilised, pleasant and efficient airport. In future will avoid using Frankfurt whenever possible!
Date VisitApril 2018

"rude, inattentive, and officious staff "

Trip Verified | We were going Lufthansa from Birmingham out to China and back. Going out Frankfurt they lost our bags. Coming back they took over one and a half hours to go through security at Terminal B with the result that people were missing flights. It was an obvious go slow with rude, inattentive, and officious staff deliberately delaying passengers. There were 13 scanning machines available but only two operational and in those each passenger took 5 minutes to go through. Disgusting treatment. Worst I have ever seen anywhere in the world. Got on the plabe back to Birmingham and the captain announced that although the passengers had made the flight no ground staff were available to load the bags so we waited another 20 minutes until some loading crew could be sent to load the plane. Ridiculous.
Date VisitApril 2018

"Very impressed with this airport"

Trip Verified | Very impressed with this airport. Luckily we came at a quiet time (4pm with flight at 6.30pm) but it’s very clean and tidy, helpful people in most areas wearing red jackets. Quick monorail between terminals and a lot of options in terms of food and shopping. Honestly very impressed, the only issue is I am flying Ryanair and they are awful. Good signage and it’s seating areas / smoking areas are cosy and nice!
Date VisitApril 2018

"try to avoid this airport"

Trip Verified | Try to avoid this airport if possible. Security is a mess. There is nothing positive here - parking is expensive, long walks, escalators often do not work, most likely you need to go by bus since there are not enough gate positions or they are to costly.
Date VisitApril 2018

"1 hour to go through security"

(Portugal)

Not Verified | It took me more than one hour to go through check-in and security check and missed the flight. Was told by Lufthansa Ticket counter that security airport staff have been conducting a slow pace working rhythm in order to claim for higher wages - totally unacceptable. What a horrible situation for me, as I could only get a seat back home 24 hours later.

"rude and ineffective"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | I fly a lot via various airports all over the world. I have never seen so unprofessional, rude and impolite security staff as in Frankfurt Airport. They yell at elderly people, they move slowly, they are extremely unhelpful. I have had this experience not once and not twice but every time I make a transit in Frankfurt. Complaints to the senior staff does not help. These people (security staff, especially ladies) are still rude and ineffective. I will never fly via Frankfurt again.

"a total disaster"

Trip Verified | On March 18-19, I was flying (Lufthansa) from Houston to Bilbao via Frankfurt. The incoming flight from Frankfurt to Houston was late; so, our flight from IAH to FRA was delayed too. As a result my connection time in FRA was shortened from the expected 1h 40min to about 1h. I could make it still, if not for two stupid things that they have in place at FRA. First, they make you go through the border control even if FRA is not your final destination within the EU. Second, once you are through that border control check, you must go through an additional security check. And that is a total disaster. I wasted an unbelievable 1h and 45 minutes in that line! Nobody of the numerous Lufthansa personnel and FRA personnel passing by that line stopped and offered us help or advice. Apparently, huge lines to security checks are totally normal at FRA. When I finally got to the hall with security scanners and personnel, only two of the three scanners were working, and while I was going through the check they shut the second one down! (Likely, as a result of that, my colleague who was standing in that same line few meters behind me wasted nearly 3 hrs in that line!). There were a total of 20 airport personnel in the security check hall at that time and only three of them were (kind of) working. All others were on a typical "Italian strike" - standing along the perimeter and doing exactly nothing. The "security check" itself was a total joke: there were no signs of items allowed or prohibited, no oral instruction from the FRA personnel, they did not really pay any attention to what was in our bags. Compared to the security check that we went through in Houston (quick, professional, polite, thorough, efficient) this was a complete disaster. When I complained to one of those "hardly working" FRA personnel about my wait time, he said "Thank you" in response. Needless to say, I missed my connection. To rebook, I had to stand in yet another line for 30 min or so. And, then was a 6 h-long sitting in a Lufthansa business class lounge (overcrowded, understaffed, with poor selection of foods) and waiting for the next flight to BIO. Needless to say, that certainly was not the experience I expected when paying Lufthansa $6K for my ticket.

"it's a nightmare"

Not Verified | Horrendous. The rudest, most unhelpful staff I have ever come across. My first flight to Frankfurt was delayed so I had to run for my connecting flight. At security they slowed me down on purpose when they saw I was rushing and shouted at me that it was my fault my flight was delayed which it certainly wasn't. One of the men at security was growling at me like an animal. They made no effort to try to get me through quickly and even seemed annoyed at me which is just ridiculous. I do not recommend connecting at this airport, it's a nightmare and you have to walk for 30 mins to get to your next gate.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"Very difficult to get around"

Not Verified | Very difficult to get around. Signs indicating how to get to other terminals are absent, so are signs how to get to the sky link. Security was ridiculously slow. Most bags were opened and items individually inspected. Probably the least organized airport I have gone through in Europe so far.