Frankfurt Main Airport

"airport has really deteriorated"

Not Verified | Frankfurt airport has really deteriorated in terms of service and usability. Immigration was especially bad today, 8 July 2018. The staff were extremely unhelpful. This was despite being told that our flight was in 30 minutes and the queue extremely long. We were told to just wait! Well, we waited and waited until another staff member told us to go to a further passport control (by the way, we did ask if there was another passport control and were told to wait). We still didn't make our plane because the plane had left the gate before the departure time stated (another story) but if we were given clearer instructions at the first passport queue, we would have made the plane with time to spare. Not all the staff were bad, the last officer was very helpful but it was too late for us. The signage was not very good, we deplaned, the signs pointed us to go up, to a closed section and we had to go downstairs again. The officer there could have given directions rather than stand there. I felt bad for the families with kids, being dragged around.
Date VisitJuly 2018

"very nearly missed the connection"

Trip Verified | KBP-FRA-DTW. Travel agent assured me 1 hour 40 minutes was "ample." Here's a blow-by-blow description of how I very nearly missed the connection: 1) I printed out KBP-FRA and FRA-DTW boarding passes on Viking cruise ship. 2) Flight from KBP arrived exactly on time. 3) Some German policeman boarded the plane and required everyone to show a passport to get off it. Very silly - no one could have boarded the plane in Kiev without a passport. Did he fear we threw our passports out the airplane windows? This delayed each passenger by only 10 seconds, but the cumulative delay was large. 4) Slow bus ride to the terminal. 5) Walk long distance to get near concourse Z, from which flights to US leave. 6) An arrow points up, either by a mountainous staircase (need rope, ice ax, crampons, and oxygen tank for ascent) or an escalator. The staircase is roped off. The escalator is running fine - empty! Some guard won't let anyone get on it. Crowd of about 300. I wailed loudly that I was in danger of missing a connection, multiple people in crowd nicely let me "take cuts" near the front. Finally the guard relented and let us get on the escalator. Go to concourse Z. 7) Lufthansa required us to check in (show boarding pass and passport) to proceed to security. Huge crowd. Repeat appeal to move to front, again successfully. 8) Passed through security with little trouble (much more efficient and courteous than TSA). 9) Lufthansa required us to check in (show boarding pass and passport) to proceed to gate. Huge crowd. Repeat appeal to move to front, again successfully. Yes, this step is an exact duplicate of step 7. 10) Arrive panting at gate. 11) Very fortunately, boarding delayed by 20 minutes (plane left 20 minutes late and arrived at DTW on time).

"personnel very unprofessional"

Not Verified | Had to travel in and out of this airport, after United Airlines messed up our connecting flights from Newark to Barcelona. First, my husband is a handicap person, they isolated us from the beginning, and I had to ask them if the airport was always that empty, because we were literally alone with the personnel in an office. They were so slow, we lost our flight and had to wait in that awful airport for 5 hours. Not to mention when we had to go through customs another nightmare, personnel very unprofessional, they didn't speak English or Spanish, they were yelling in their language, we didn't understand what was happening, since we didn't have any problems in the USA with our carry on bags. Poor escort man, was telling them to please speak to us in English, but none of the 2 custom persons knew English. After losing 1/2 hour there, trying to understand them, they told us to go back and check our bag in. The gentleman that escorted me back there, told me that I was not in the US. My husband had to wait for me, in the wheelchair, behind an armed police officer who was treating us as criminals, just because we were carrying more than 4 ziplocs bags with our liquids for 21 day vacation time, with 1.7 ounces. Same we used every year to travel. Make sure your Airport are equipped with professional Custom's employees and that they are able to speak a universal language, which is English. Hope that I never have to go through this airport and experience again.

"awful airport"

Trip Verified | All of the previous reviews have said what I would say about this awful airport. I would like to add, do these comments reach the airport director? Does he or she care? Is anyone doing anything about the lack of personnel, shuttles, wheelchairs to handle the volume of passengers? I am sure Lufthansa pays landing fees why are passengers coming off planes loaded into buses to the terminal? Our experience was so bad my husband had to use his oxygen because of the long distance to the terminal. Yes we requested a non existing shuttle or wheelchair paid for business class, 1 hour 20 min connection & that's how long it took to reach the gate with 5 min to spare.

"huge queuing lines"

Trip Verified | They promote the German organization and efficiency, but Frankfurt Airport seems to have been forgotten. What a mess! Huge queuing lines, only one or two agents for boarding passes scans, no information desks, rude personnel. This is a third-rate airport! Please do yourself a favor, never transit here! Or at least have like 4 or 5 hours between flights. Some people was almost crying because they were about to miss their connection due to slow procedures. Germany at its worst!
Date VisitJuly 2018

Frankfurt Main Airport customer review

Trip Verified | We were in transit from Croatia to Mumbai via Frankfurt and landed in Terminal 1B. It took us 90 minutes from the time we landed till we reached our connecting gate C15 of Terminal 1. The connecting train kept announcing the destination as Terminal 2. After leaving a few trains we decided to just hop on and voila! it stopped at Terminal 1C! Surprise! Then Security just took forever. It seemed as they were working in slow motion. Same person scanning and then physically inspecting while everyone patiently waited. We were appalled to find there was almost no shopping, only one kiosk cafe service cold fast food trash, non functional charging stations and only one toilet with long queue. It seemed worse than a no frills terminal. Out of 4 hours of layover, we spent 1.5 in reaching our gate and rest twiddling our thumbs. Did not know Frankfurt was such a bad airport. Quite a poor impression of German hospitality.
Date VisitJune 2018

"unprofessional, rude and impolite"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Flying for business from Istanbul (IST) via Frankfurt (FRA) to Shanghai (PVG), all with Lufthansa. I arrived on time in FRA and had 1 hour and 15 minutes until my flight to PVG, which should have been plenty of time. I had to transfer from bus gate B to another gate Z within terminal 1 which was fine, it take normally only a few minutes. But then I got to security screen there was a long queue. When I finally got through security I had to run for my flight and only just made it in time. For my return flight PVG–FRA–IST arrived early morning at 0530. As frequent traveler with Star Alliance Gold status I spend again 55 minutes in the fast lane queue waiting to go through security. This was early morning, it must be much worse at busy times. I fly a lot via various airports all over the world. I have never seen so unprofessional, rude and impolite security staff as in Frankfurt Airport. They yell at elderly people, they move slowly, they are extremely unhelpful. I have had this experience not once and not twice but every time I make a transit in Frankfurt. Complaints to the senior staff does not help. These people are still rude and ineffective.
Date VisitJune 2018

"rarely enjoyed the experience"

Trip Verified | I have flown through FRA a few times now, both for point-to-point flights and also connecting, so I feel I've developed enough of an experience to write an evidence-based review. And sadly, I have rarely enjoyed the experience. The airport is huge, as we all know, with massive numbers of passengers every single day, but despite this the airport seems to have failed to keep up with the demand when it comes to providing services. My entire experience of FRA seems to involve queueing for long periods of time as (far too few) staff slowly work through the crowds of people. On arriving at the airport regional train station, I headed for a shuttle to the other terminal to catch my flight. Clearly, not enough shuttles run. They are constantly overflowing with people, with no space to sit unless you're lucky. Check-in was also a very slow process, and of course security was too. I can't be the only one who likes to fully advance through the security screening before relaxing and seeking out a coffee etc? However, in FRA (at least in some cases), that is not a good idea. After advancing through all the various stages of screening, I arrived at the area of gates D1-D4. There is only a small shop to get some water/sweets/souvenirs. All the restaurants and cafes are before security, which I also find to be a poor airport design. I will say the airport is fairly clean and well-signposted, so you're unlikely to get lost. Just don't get there in a hurry to catch a flight!
Date VisitJune 2018

"Staff were slow and lazy"

Trip Verified | Flying home from New Zealand I had to transit through Bangkok and Frankfurt. Both flights from Bangkok to Dublin via Frankfurt were with Lufthansa. I arrived in Frankfurt 15 minutes early at 5.45am so I had 1 hour and 45 minutes until my flight to Dublin, which should have been plenty of time. I had to transfer from one concourse to another within terminal 1 which was fine, it only took a few minutes. But then I got to security where there was a long queue. I spent over an hour in the queue waiting to go through security. Many other people who were running late for their flights were ignored when they asked staff. Only half the security lanes were open causing the long queues. The staff were searching each and every bag individually. Staff were slow and lazy and rude. I am a regular traveller and I have never experienced such delays, or incompetence at airport security. And this was still early in the morning, it must be much worse at busy times. When I finally got through security I had to run for my flight and only just made it in time.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Avoid transit in Frankfurt"

(Croatia)

Trip Verified | Although the incoming flight was slightly late we still had a good hour to change within terminal B for our flight to Zagreb. To our horror the quest for security screening stretched for miles and the lone guy controlling the fast lane would not let us through insisting we go to the back of the line even though boarding was immanent. Luckily there were two of us so my son stayed nearby and called me when, inevitably after a few minutes, Zagreb was called to the fast lane. I told him he was being an idiot as people on their own would have no way of knowing when to go to the fast lane. The police offered advice that next time we should come earlier, even though this was a Lufthansa approved connection. It was so disorganized. Avoid transit in Frankfurt or make sure you have at least two hours between flights.