Frankfurt Main Airport

"had to wait literally another hour"

(Czech Republic)

Not Verified | What a horrible airport if you have to get your luggage and check in again. Usually I have my luggage checked through to my final destination. This time however I had two separate tickets due to a spontaneous change of plans. It took 45 minutes for our luggage to show up at baggage claim. Later after we checked in for our onwards flight we had to wait literally another hour at the security check. If you connect in Frankfurt make sure your luggage is checked thru. Otherwise consider at least 4 hours for your connection if you want to connect without stress.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"airport is surprisingly bad"

(Norway)

Not Verified | This airport is surprisingly bad for an airport in a modern and generally efficient country: 1) It takes a long time (40 minutes or so) to get your luggage. 2) The security control is incredibly slow and with a big line (I waited at least 30 minutes). 3) The staff are rude. 4) There are no carts to place your hand luggage in. 5) There are shops that sell Rolex watches but few shops that sell souvenirs or gifts for your children. 6) Gate changes happen without your noticing it.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"The line of people was immense"

(Poland)

Not Verified | I will do everything possible to avoid this disaster of an airport. The security service was a total nightmare. I was transiting from New York through Frankfurt to Warsaw. My incoming plane from NY landed on time. I had a one hour connection time. Had to get over to terminal one by air train, no problem. But then hit the B gates security line. There were only two x-ray conveyor belts running and they merged into just one body scanner. Complete bottleneck. There were about 12 conveyor belts there, just not manned. The line of people was immense, at least hundreds of people, maybe a thousand. Despite my asking each person in authority if I could move to the front of the line as I would miss my flight, they did nothing. And even worse, the people manning the lines were deliberately moving very slowly. Once I got my things on the belt and I saw that the man there was not pushing them forward to the moving belt into the x-ray machine, I just jumped over from the body scanner line to move them forward and the guy yelled at me “don’t do that again”. If he was doing his job, I would not have to. Anyway, took forever and of course I missed my flight. The airline then refused to rebook me, saying my previous flight had landed on time and I had enough time to get to the departing flight. They wanted me to pay for a new ticket. After 30 minutes on the line to the airline in Warsaw, I convinced someone finally that the no show was not my fault and got rebooked. But the ground staff forgot to connect my luggage to my new ticket. Luckily I checked with the departure gate agent who spotted this mistake and put it in the system. Then the flight was delayed because the crew to load the luggage was late. For the first time ever I heard a plane captain get on the PA and complain about the ground luggage services, saying he had written personal letters to the aiport to improve this. Unbelieveable. Overall, the worst was the security line, clearly under-manned, slow moving (Italian strike?) and rude. And then they have no responsibility when they cause you to miss a flight. Unless I have to fly to Frankfurt itself, I will avoid this airport like the plague. What happened to German efficiency and organization?
Date VisitMarch 2018

"rudest, most unpleasant experience"

Not Verified | Frankfurt security clearance (for transit passengers) is the rudest, most unpleasant experience I have had. Not once, but three times in succession. I was shocked to hear and see the rudeness of the security guards, the female ones in particular, for relatively simple issues, such as a piece of paper in my pocket. Given all the stress in air travel, the last thing one needs is extremely unpleasant agents shouting orders at disoriented passengers, many of them elderly residents, who struggle to understand the barking orders. For me, it is not worth it. I plan to fly over the Pacific next time, just to avoid Frankfurt. I would suggest that all these guards need some humanistic training.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"long waiting times at security"

Trip Verified | Avoid if possible. It's always long waiting times at security. They never open enough control points - in fact, you always have to wait. God knows why you have to pay for that lousy service. Long ways and often elevators are out of order. Also lots of delays and many flights from outside positions for which you have to take a bus which is either extremely cold (in winter) or overheated.

"customs is a nightmare"

Not Verified | Security was fine. Customs is a nightmare. As a business traveller take any other connector; forget this. I am putting this airport on blockout for all team future travel. Expect much better. Munich, Paris and Heathrow rank way ahead. Nightmare to make connection

"Very unhelpful staff"

Trip Verified | Very unhelpful staff. Delayed flight leaving only 1/2 hour connection yet no assistance given getting from depths of T1 A to T1 B. We were told to just rush. Passed many an empty cart and staff happy to have a chat. We were told there was no security - yet a huge line at boarder control (despite traveling from France to UK via FRA) and no assistance to fast track.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"The signage is very bad"

Not Verified | Very difficult to find things, especially if you are not flying Lufthansa. It took me almost an hour to find where to check in for Delta. They don't post your departure gate, I had to ask at the info kiosk. I have flown into and out of many major airports and Frankfurt was the worst I have ever experienced. The signage is very bad. I will avoid flying in or out of Frankfurt in the future.

"Appalling security line"

Trip Verified | Appalling security line taking 1 hr at boarding gate. Delaying departure of BA913. Staff unhelpful, obstructive. Only one line open until departure time of flight. Deliberately slowed people to only 1 person per station for 3. All officials denied responsibility and refused to issue complaint forms.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"a terrible and unacceptable experience"

Not Verified | Frankfurt security staff were unacceptably rude, treating me with no respect. The female guard that checked my bag made a disproportionate fuss about liquids, which I have never seen in any other airport, whether US, Britain, Middle East, or anywhere else. As I tried to reach into my bag to show the liquids I had in ziploc bags (three bags instead of one, each one with a few items - my terrible offense), the female guard slapped my hand. Even though I had left the ziploc bags on top of my stuff, for easy identification, she proceeded to empty my whole suitcase onto the dirty, old containers where goodness knows how many bags have been, all the while speaking German, clearly speaking contemptuously of me and my fellow passengers. All in all a terrible and unacceptable experience.