Frankfurt Main Airport

"shocking every time I land"

Not Verified | I fly in and out of this airport atleast 10-15 times a year. It is shocking every time I land from an international flight and then have to climb many stairs at the gate carrying bags as there is no escalator or elevator available. A small one that can only be operated by an employee is there and unless you are in a wheelchair they won’t allow you to use it. I had knee surgery and the stairs are difficult, especially carrying a small suitcase. When I am in the airport, I get nearly run over on each visit by one of the employees for FRA driving their silent golf carts. Twice, including today, I had one literally come within an inch of hitting me from behind as I was walking and then they yelled at me to let them go by. They had no passengers and they were driving fast and quietly. If this was the first time, I would say it’s an isolated incident. But it happens so frequently here, it’s almost an epidemic. I go through many airports around the world and have never experienced worse and repeated incidents of reckless driving and abusive employees to us, the passenger/customers that they are supposed to be serving for a positive travel experience as we use their facilities. Would avoid this airport completely if I could and didn’t have to make other international connections. Whoever manages and runs this airport needs to either lose their job or if they want to keep it, do a massive overhaul in their employee training and policies and also improve the access for passengers who need assistance and are handicapped.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"It all sounds like a bad-taste joke"

Trip Verified | The security check is too far-fetched. I missed my connecting flight because of unnecessary delays. The staff thought that there was a long object (metal I suppose) in my hand luggage. I had departed from Dublin airport (where you have to even take your shoes off in order to pass the security check). Meanwhile the suitcase had not been opened for any reason. Not to mention that there was no time, as the first flight was already late and I had to run to catch the next one. My suitcase was retained to be checked and I was asked to open it, which I did. I asked what the problem was and the employee showed me on the screen what he was looking for. I immediately told him that this was probably part of the make and that I didn't have such an object. He started rummaging in the suitcase, he opened my toothbrush container, checked my plastic hair accessories (more than 2 times, another shape and size compared to what he said he was searching after). Not to mention that he was kind of looking for the 'object' at the wrong places in the suitcase. It was supposed to be nearly on the top, from where the handle is pulled up, when it is being rolled. He misused the suitcase zippers and he was carrying it around from the opened lid, which is supposed to be a lid and not a handle. Please note that I offered more than once to empty the contents out, so as to x-ray just the suitcase (and possibly locate what he was looking for). In the end, after he had taken his time, he concluded that there was nothing there but for the suitcase infrastructure and he let me go. My flight had already departed. If they want travellers from connecting flights to pass a second security check, they should 1) state it, so as to book flights with a suitable time gap between the flights 2) or have a separate place to go through such travellers quickly. It's rare that connecting flights have to repass security checks. Most travellers are on business travels and their time is invaluable. Last but not least, I asked for information at an info point and I had to wait for the employee to finish checking at her phone before addressing me. She did not even understand English (totally unacceptable when you work for an international airport and your post is at connecting flights). I told her that I wanted to file a complaint because I was delayed at the security check etc and she understood that I had lost my suitcase. It all sounds like a bad-taste joke.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"it was easy to navigate"

Not Verified | Being at Frankfurt only for transit, it was easy to navigate to your next flight. However, having booked a business class ticket, I was allowed to enter the business lounge at Frankfurt. The only problem I found was that there are two lounges, one on the A floor of Terminal A and one of the Z floor, one floor above after passport control. This was rather confusing. The airport however is very clean and well maintenanced. The queue at passport control was short and the people were evenly distributed to 4 queues.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"deplane to buses in a snow storm"

Not Verified | Upon arrival in Frankfurt, we were informed that we would have to deplane to buses in a snow storm. Additionally, we had to wait for an outrageous amount of time for the stairs and buses to arrive. Finally, the buses, in driving snow, were parked as far as possible from the plane, forcing elderly people and childern to brave slick and driving snow conditions on both the steps and the far too long walk to the bus. The extreme incompetence displayed all around is disturbing. I travel frequently for business and this ticket cost more than $10000. There has be some standard for service and professionlism, none of that was to be found today. As a result of this horrendous display, I will no longer fly Luftansa unless I have no other choice.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"Avoid it if possible"

Trip Verified | I have had to fly from/to Frankfurt now for 20 years and it is getting worse and worse every year. Security (especially at T1) takes forever and half of the flights have an outside position were you loose another half an hour after landing until you can finally leave the terminal. Avoid it if possible.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"request was not in the system"

Trip Verified | I was assisting two older people with difficulties walking, apparently at the Lufthansa check in in the US my request for mobility assistance was ignored and upon arriving in Frankfurt I was told our request was not in the system. Having less than 1 hour to reach a connecting flight we started to walk to the departure gate, along the way it became visible they can no longer walk, I have asked more than ten of their employers representing the mobility service and none of them wanted to enter us in the system to receive help. By the time they were visibly exhausted, one lady representing the mobility system looked at our boarding passes, checked in the system and five minutes later told us she can help us, asking who can help she drove off. This is a fraction of the misery I experienced trying to use their birocratic system populated with uncompassionate people but designed to help people that need assistance.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"be at least, 3 hours before departure"

(Panama)

Verified Review | This is airport is modern and clean, but huge and a little impersonal. It left us with a kind of mixed feeling. 1) Passport control (in and out) is a nightmare with a bunch of people, trying to get there right row. We were with my older parents. Fortunately, an officer saw us and helped us move to another, quieter row. 2) As we mentioned in another opinion, the employees did not seem very friendly and you can not find information booths easily. Signals are not enough clear. 3) You have to go through an endless processes of immigration and checking in your handbags, coats, luggage, etc. We understand that it is for our safety. We recommend to be at least, 3 hours before departure. 4) Unlike Heathrow Airport you can not find a wheelchair that you can use, in our case the Airline failed in this service as it happened to us. 5) The gate B62 is awful and it looks like a 19th century factory.
Date VisitNovember 2017

"improve your signs, they are a disaster"

Verified Review | I flew through Frankfurt, and had only 45 minutes to transit from B to C16. On the way I saw the sign shown in the photos (two views), which pointed me up the stairs to gates C13-20. However when I went up the stairs there were no C gates, just the Skyline to DE. And at the point where I took the photo there were no other signs to C16, so with rising panic I realised I had no idea where to go, and only a few minutes to get there. There was no-one around to ask, so I phoned Information and spoke to a man who tried to help, but neither he nor I knew where I was, so I was none the wiser. Then I saw someone further along the corridor and went to speak to him. I could then see round the corner to the right, in the distance, a sign to gates C13-20! So instead of going up the stairs, I should have ignored the sign, continued straight on and turned right at the end. Obvious, really! Please Frankfurt Airport, improve your signs, they are a disaster.

"Really unfriendly staff"

Verified Review | Really unfriendly staff, I have visited airports where the staff were really friendly. It is really sad that they treat you so poorly at the security check. I know that security is important but they could treat you in a human way. You are forbidden to smile to a co-passenger. Hope to never have to come at this airport again. Awful experience.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"I'd choose any other airport"

Verified Review | My wife and I arrived from Singapore 80 minutes prior to the departure of our flight to Manchester UK. Our boarding passes, issued by Singapore Airlines, showed the Gate Number as B24 so we proceeded to there immediately checking every Departure screen as we passed, every one showed the Gate Number as B24. Whilst sitting at the Gate for a while and hearing nothing but announcements for a flight to Istanbul which was late, I checked via the internet and discovered that the Gate had been changed to Z15, I went to the desk and asked a) what was the correct Gate and b) where was Z15. The lady at the gate confirmed that there had been no announcements and had to call the Airport Admin Office, not Lufthansa, to discover the correct gate, after some five minutes she confirmed that the Gate was indeed Z15 and gave us brief directions as to getting there but suggested that it was too far away. My wife suffers from Arthritis so I ran ahead and eventually made it to the Gate with little time to spare. Security at the Gate told me to sit and catch my breath, I'm 70, prior to going back for my wife which I did and she would pass the Hand luggage through the Security Scan (the third time since we arrived in Frankfurt Airport). Returning to the Gate we discovered that the flight had left already as they have to be airborne prior to a curfew time. We were directed to the Lufthansa Service Desk, another journey, the length of the airport, after waiting some 30 minutes we were finally able to explain to someone what had happened. Lufthansa said that it was the Airport that changed the Gates and that they had no control over it, however they issued us Boarding passes for free flights the following morning and called a hotel for us to see if they had a room at a slightly reduced rate which they did. There was a free Shuttle bus to and from the hotel. The following morning, prior to leaving the hotel, we checked on the Frankfurt airport Website for the Gate Number, it said B22 which was different from the one on our Boarding Passes, ie B26. Upon arrival at the airport the Departure screens were showing a third gate number, B30, checking at the desk we discovered that the number on the screens was correct. Prior to our departure we checked the Gate No on numerous occasions and it remained the same. We explained to the person at the Gate what had happened the night before and also the three Gate numbers that morning, he laughed and said that it was always happening at Frankfurt Airport, very seldom did the first Gate notification ended up being the Gate the departure was from. My thanks to Lufthansa for issuing us with tickets for the following morning and for finding us a hotel but as for the airport and its organisation I'd choose any other airport than them in future.
Date VisitOctober 2017