Frankfurt Main Airport

"unprofessional, rude and impolite"

(Turkey)

Trip Verified | Flying for business from Istanbul (IST) via Frankfurt (FRA) to Shanghai (PVG), all with Lufthansa. I arrived on time in FRA and had 1 hour and 15 minutes until my flight to PVG, which should have been plenty of time. I had to transfer from bus gate B to another gate Z within terminal 1 which was fine, it take normally only a few minutes. But then I got to security screen there was a long queue. When I finally got through security I had to run for my flight and only just made it in time. For my return flight PVG–FRA–IST arrived early morning at 0530. As frequent traveler with Star Alliance Gold status I spend again 55 minutes in the fast lane queue waiting to go through security. This was early morning, it must be much worse at busy times. I fly a lot via various airports all over the world. I have never seen so unprofessional, rude and impolite security staff as in Frankfurt Airport. They yell at elderly people, they move slowly, they are extremely unhelpful. I have had this experience not once and not twice but every time I make a transit in Frankfurt. Complaints to the senior staff does not help. These people are still rude and ineffective.
Date VisitJune 2018

"rarely enjoyed the experience"

Trip Verified | I have flown through FRA a few times now, both for point-to-point flights and also connecting, so I feel I've developed enough of an experience to write an evidence-based review. And sadly, I have rarely enjoyed the experience. The airport is huge, as we all know, with massive numbers of passengers every single day, but despite this the airport seems to have failed to keep up with the demand when it comes to providing services. My entire experience of FRA seems to involve queueing for long periods of time as (far too few) staff slowly work through the crowds of people. On arriving at the airport regional train station, I headed for a shuttle to the other terminal to catch my flight. Clearly, not enough shuttles run. They are constantly overflowing with people, with no space to sit unless you're lucky. Check-in was also a very slow process, and of course security was too. I can't be the only one who likes to fully advance through the security screening before relaxing and seeking out a coffee etc? However, in FRA (at least in some cases), that is not a good idea. After advancing through all the various stages of screening, I arrived at the area of gates D1-D4. There is only a small shop to get some water/sweets/souvenirs. All the restaurants and cafes are before security, which I also find to be a poor airport design. I will say the airport is fairly clean and well-signposted, so you're unlikely to get lost. Just don't get there in a hurry to catch a flight!
Date VisitJune 2018

"Staff were slow and lazy"

Trip Verified | Flying home from New Zealand I had to transit through Bangkok and Frankfurt. Both flights from Bangkok to Dublin via Frankfurt were with Lufthansa. I arrived in Frankfurt 15 minutes early at 5.45am so I had 1 hour and 45 minutes until my flight to Dublin, which should have been plenty of time. I had to transfer from one concourse to another within terminal 1 which was fine, it only took a few minutes. But then I got to security where there was a long queue. I spent over an hour in the queue waiting to go through security. Many other people who were running late for their flights were ignored when they asked staff. Only half the security lanes were open causing the long queues. The staff were searching each and every bag individually. Staff were slow and lazy and rude. I am a regular traveller and I have never experienced such delays, or incompetence at airport security. And this was still early in the morning, it must be much worse at busy times. When I finally got through security I had to run for my flight and only just made it in time.
Date VisitJune 2018

"Avoid transit in Frankfurt"

(Croatia)

Trip Verified | Although the incoming flight was slightly late we still had a good hour to change within terminal B for our flight to Zagreb. To our horror the quest for security screening stretched for miles and the lone guy controlling the fast lane would not let us through insisting we go to the back of the line even though boarding was immanent. Luckily there were two of us so my son stayed nearby and called me when, inevitably after a few minutes, Zagreb was called to the fast lane. I told him he was being an idiot as people on their own would have no way of knowing when to go to the fast lane. The police offered advice that next time we should come earlier, even though this was a Lufthansa approved connection. It was so disorganized. Avoid transit in Frankfurt or make sure you have at least two hours between flights.
Date VisitJune 2018

"never had to wait for more than a minute"

Not Verified | I have lived in Frankfurt for about a year and a half and have flown in and out of this airport probably around 50 times both for business and for leisure. The trains only go to terminal 1, but there is a skyrail between the two terminals, and I have never had to wait for more than a minute for it. If you take the regular metro (S-bahn) then the airport is only three stops from the main train station, but there are also the regional and ICE trains with no stops between the two. (But those aren't as frequent, so I usually just take the S-bahn). The low cost airlines fly from terminal 2. After "boarding" you may have to take a bus and for some airlines, the planes are parked all the way on the other side, so this is a slight annoyance. Tip: Just wait to be one of the last people to board / de-board and you might end up in a bus half empty, plenty of seats.

"security was worse"

Not Verified | Worst airport on Earth. Passport control was idiotic. The line was completely through the terminal. Passengers cutting in line. Agent had no logical thought. Security was worse. The agent couldn’t even figure out that a stroller wouldn’t fit. They get annoyed if you don’t speak German. Then you get to the gate clearance which has 1 agent. Next stand and wait for bus. If I ever come back here I know I will have been sent to hell.
Date VisitJune 2018

"long waiting time at security check"

Trip Verified | Very long waiting time at economy class security check. None of the staff care. Made the flight only on the last minute because my wife was one check earlier and made the boarding staff wait.

"inefficient, rude, uninformative"

Trip Verified | Security at this airport is appalling. Inefficient, rude, uninformative. I am a seasoned international traveler and know the rules. My bags were chosen for secondary security. This meant that everything was removed from both bags and put into trays. No careful looking at items, no unzipping of bags. She then stepped away, leaving me to reload my belongings. Completely unnecessary. If at all possible, avoid this airport. Munich and Amsterdam are much better and more efficient ports of entry and exit.
Date VisitJune 2018

"plagued by regular strikes"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | This airport is plagued by regular strikes of Lufthansa Staff, airport employees and employees of public transportation. Plus there is a limitation to take off after 11pm so if your flight is at night and is delayed, you might have to overnight in Frankfurt!
Date VisitMay 2018

"Worst experience ever!"

Not Verified | Employees that work here are the worst, unfriendly, not willing to help, extremely rude! For this reason I would never visit Frankfurt and will avoid this airport at all times. Worst experience ever!
Date VisitMay 2018