Vote Now

Volaris

"online booking system is a nightmare"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Due to fly Volaris from Puerto Vallarta to Tijuana. The online booking system is a nightmare. Never functions correctly. I tried 3 times to book online. Phone customer service charges you more money than the online system. But the online system never works! The customer service staff are completely unhelpful. Will never fly with this company again. They hide extra charges everywhere. Your ticket price doubles and you don't know why.
RoutePVR to TIJ
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Volaris will not refund us"

Verified Review | Chicago Midway to Durango. Purchased same day flight tickets at 10:30 am for 12:15 pm due to a death in the family in Mexico. We live an hour away from the airport and arrived at 11:20 and were not allowed to get on the plane. We were advised doors were closed early at 11:15. I tried to cancel and they stated "the policy is you have to arrive 3 hours before your flight". Again 4 tickets were purchased same day at 10:30, arrived at airport at 11:20, for 12:15 flight. My family sat there, the plane did not leave until 12:30. Volaris will not refund us due to "the policy". I explained this was an emergency, and I am devastated that such a big company can not refund due to the situation.
RouteChicago Midway to Durango
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"crew was friendly and efficient"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Leon/Guanajuato to Los Angeles. Online booking and check-in was easy, website was easy to navigate. This is a low-cost airline and we knew that when booking, so we did know what to expect. The baggage policy is unusual, one checked bag per person is free, but medium size cabin baggage is not. We paid USD12 upon booking for one cabin bag. In addition small items such as handbags and laptops are free. We found the rules clear and had no issues. The aircraft was new, built 2016, clean and in very good shape. The legroom was VERY cramped, so it was not a top comfortable 3hr flight. There is no entertainment system, and nothing onboard is free, even water carries a price. Some snacks and drinks are advertised in the menu card, but no advertised sandwiches were available, only peanuts and chips etc. The cabin crew was friendly and efficient, some spoke decent english. The flight departed and arrived on-time which we consider important. If one accepts the low-cost airline policy, this is very good product. It is easy to find better comfort/service using legacy carriers, if prepared to pay up.
RouteLeon/Guanajuato to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"the leg room was terrible"

Verified Review | Cancun to Tijuana via Mexico City. The only good thing is that Volaris planes are newer. But they didn't have sandwiches as they forgot to load them on a 3hr flight. No TV's, radio or entertainment. My husband is 6' and the leg room was terrible for him. Aeromexico at least has IFE and they lend you headphones, and the leg room is way better.
RouteCUN to TIJ via MEX

"I am so infuriated"

Verified Review | Denver to Guadalajara. I can't emphasize enough how utterly terrible Volaris was to me yesterday. I paid to bring my pet. I complied with their published policy which states clearly "the health certificate must have validity for at least 5 days" before travel. Her certificate had validity for 30 days. 30 is more than 5. Using the words "at least" means "at a minimum" not "at a maximum". The employees at the ticketing counter don't understand the definition of the words used in their policies and refused to give me a boarding pass. I was able to fly with the same certificate on a different airline the next day without issue, other than the fact I had to pay out of pocket for the new ticket. I am so infuriated I can hardly breathe. I paid for a ticket and they agreed to provide the service I paid for, given I met their conditions. I met their conditions. They stole my money.
RouteDEN to GDL
Date FlownDecember 2016

"airline is like a comedy show"

Verified Review | Never fly with Volaris. We travel globally regularly, this is our worst experience and the airline is like a comedy show. The flight from hell from San Francisco to Mexico City. 3 hours delay initially - on boarding they said 19 passengers that had waited over 3 hours didn't have seats, offered incentives to stay behind, that was accomplished and another hour. We boarded the plane then were told the weight is much for the plane 17 passengers will have to get off. They offered $900 complementary flights another time, with Volaris as incentive. Finally when there were 4 passengers still over the quota, last passengers to booked in were existed the plane. Shocking to experience, that took another hour, 5 hours late now - got to Mexico City no terminal free waited until they got staff to bring 2 buses to pick us up - the stairs to walk were loose and staff had to help some passengers out. Waited 2 hours for the baggage to get into the airport. Connecting flights were again missed. We arrived safely, that's a plus. We had to reorganise our plans. So many people had crying babies, children and so many missed connecting flights. Care factor for passengers nil from the airline. The mind boggles at how this airline meets the strict global requirements to operate.
RouteSFO to MEX
Date FlownDecember 2016

"still have not issued a refund"

Verified Review | I was supposed to take a round trip to Morelia from Chicago with Volaris. I arrived at the airport at 5am 2 hours before my flight and checked in my bags. I ended up paying $185 dollars for overweight luggage on both of my bags. I got a boarding pass and went through security down to the waiting area before boarding my flight. After a couple of hours waiting they announced that they had canceled the flight and directed all customers back to the customer service desk for further information. By the time I was waited on, the 2 clerks that were on duty were very worn down with all people's complaints and arguments since they did not have any other flights they were offering refunds. However, the Volaris employee at the airport could not give me a refund for the overweight luggage that I had just paid nor give my husband an immediate refund for the canceled flight so I could catch another flight as I had to be in Morelia the same day. Instead he gave me a phone number to call (Volaris customer service) and they would resolve the problem and issue a refund of all charges; in addition he gave me a code number for a $200 dollars bonus that I could use on a future flight (they offered the same thing to all passengers to make them calm down so they would just leave the service desk at that chaotic moment). My husband ended up booking a flight out of O'Hare airport to Guadalajara the same day. After many, many calls to Volaris they still have not issued a refund for the flight, the overweight charges and the $200 dollars bonus money that they offered, saying that the code they provided at the airport was invalid.
RouteMDW to MLM

"staff impressively efficient"

Verified Review | Mexico City to Tapachula. Given the fair number of negative reviews, I was a tad nervous about flying Volaris but the price was right. Takeoff was late by an hour or so due to the airport (a dozen other flights by various airlines got delayed as well). Airport staff were impressively efficient about getting me to the right queues and gates, including several individuals who spoke English. Seating was typical for a budget airline anywhere. No luxuries but everything clean, polite and okay in general. I don't doubt that problems occur with Volaris and that I was fortunate – still, I'd fly with them again.
RouteMEX to TAP

"poor service"

Verified Review | Cancun to San José with Volaris. They cancelled our flight (which they seem to do a lot reading other reviews). I called the airline to ask what to do next. They did not want to explain why my flight was cancelled and told me to be able to move it to 9 or 10 days later. I said that 9 or 10 days later is obviously too late and not a reasonable offer. I asked for a refund, which they refused. They wanted to cancel the ticket and keep the money without a reasonable solution. This is totally unacceptable which I of course told them. After getting angry they suddenly could offer me a flight the next morning. Please do not choose this airline. The risk that they cancel the flight is huge and you will have problems getting a good alternative. This makes the airline expensive rather than cheap, with poor service and lack of other advantages.
RouteCUN to SJO

"service is horrible"

Colima to Tijuana with Volaris. Service is horrible. Never will I nor my family will take this airline. Flight attendants are there to assist and to have pleasant flight not to just look pretty and greet you in. I know it's a budget low close airline but at least give free water and coffee complimentary as part of the service. I fly alot would rather pay that extra cost to fly with major airline like Areomexico or Alaska to fly to Mexico. So the best advice is to pay that extra $30 to $50 to get better service and comfort.
RouteCLQ to TIJ