Volaris

"miles behind others in its class"

Verified Review | Mexico City to Puerto Vallarta. Mexico's budget airline is miles behind others in its class. After booking two cheap flights (chiefly because 1 free bag is included), we were greeted with the rude awakening of getting what you pay for. Horrendous customer service, shady booking practices, no legroom, dirty planes, flight attendants with attitude, and questionable pilots. We even made the mistake of booking two flights before we knew what we had done. The first misstep we encountered was right from the get go in the booking system. They try to "offer" you a second bag (that they add on to the reservation by default) on top of the already free first bag for an additional $30. If you don't catch it, good luck getting any money back as Volaris customer service has a "politic" of no refunds even if that extra bag was never even at the airport - a fact that would easily be verified by seeing the extra bag tag was never scanned. They also seem to take up a position of passing off customer service to other departments as we called the call center's Mexican number only to have them tell us to contact them in writing. Upon doing so they tried to send us back to the call center and even gave us a US number (since we needed English assistance it would seem) that was not in service. When the written response produced no results, we were told to contact the feedback department to tell them about our experience. It was at this point we’d had had enough and felt we should warn people and help them avoid our nightmare instead.  After that, the hits just keep coming. Dirty undersized/broken trays. No legroom at all even for a 178 cm tall (5' 9") person sitting next to us. To top it all off the flight attendants on our flight from Guadalajara to Cancun ignored us and never brought the water we asked for even when they were walking by with the drink cart. Is this assessment of Volaris' business harsh? Not likely from what we've heard, and also not from our personal experiences with them and other carriers. If we were to recommend a Mexican airline for your travels (which is also the airline our agent recommended in the first place), Interjet's legroom was fantastic, drinks were good, flight attendants were polite, and we never had a reason to deal with customer service so our rating for them is a solid A+.
RouteMexico City to Puerto Vallarta
Date FlownAugust 2017

"express my great dissatisfaction"

Verified Review | Guadalajara to Chicago. I am taking the time to express my great dissatisfaction with my family’s experience while flying with the Volaris Airline. I am responsible for purchasing and organizing my mother’s flight during her vacation, she required a direct flight and that is what I confirmed when I purchased her flight ticket. On the way to Guadalajara, all went well and she made it safety to our family. However, on the return, she went to the airport at 5pm to catch a 7:15pm scheduled flight that apparently did not exist. She had a reservation that was not respected by the airline. We were never notified of the change until she stepped up to your ticket counter to check in. The airline has my email and phone number that would have made us accessible. But we received no communication about the change. My mother was made to believe that she mistaken about her reservation despite showing the ticket counter a screenshot of her reservation. Other patrons who complained at the same ticket counter over the exact same reason must have put up a better fight than my mother because she witness how a group of 5 women were put on a direct flight with sister airline. My mother is not the kind of person who would behave belligerent in public, I only regret not being present by her side to advocate on her behalf. She was put on a flight that had a 6 hour layover to Mexico City, only 2 days after a major earthquake , which not only made it undesirable for anyone to travel to Mexico City, it was also unsafe. She was hungry, tired, and she received no apology for the unprofessional flight experience she received. You can be sure that I will never reserve any flight with Volaris and will be sure to let everyone we know about our experience with this airline. I suggest that if Volaris sells a flight ticket, that they also inform people that their flight is subject to be changed without any notification, unless you purchase for additional amount their flight insurance . Evidently, that was necessary to insure that she actually keep her direct flight.
RouteGuadalajara to Chicago
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"never recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Guadalajara to San Francisco. I will never recommend this airline to any person flying to or from Mexico. My complaint comes from their lack of competency. On August 7, 2017 my family and I were flying back home after a two week vacation in Mexico. Our flight was scheduled to depart from Guadalajara International Airport at 7:16 am local time. We got to the airport about two and a half hours before departure but the airport was a complete mess from all angles. people lining up in lines that just went in circles and agents sending people to lines for domestic flights when they were flying international and vise versa. After about two hours in line and only minutes left for our flight to depart, it was finally our turn to get our boarding passes. I handed the ticket agent our passports along with my wife's U.S. green card. The agent scanned my kids passports and mine before getting to my wife's passport and green card. After the agent looked at my wifes passport he asked for her green card. My wife and I insisted to the agent that the green card was handed to the agent along with the passport but to no avail. After asking the agent to look around him to see if he had misplaced my wifes green card, he asked us to step aside to tend to other passengers. When he was done with the passengers he asked what we, as a family, wanted to do in regards to only my kids and me fly back home or if we all wanted to stay. While I was arguing with the agent to look one more time around him, I saw the Green card next to him in sight. After seeing that he had made a mistake and almost kicked my family off a plane due to this agents carelessness, the agent made no effort to apologize and stayed silent.
RouteGuadalajara to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Avoid using this airline"

Verified Review | Guadalajara to Sacramento. I arrived at Guadalajara airport 3 hours before my departure flight at least that was what the airline requested all passegengers to do, the Service crew at Guadalajara airport had only one line for all international flights that included Portland, Oakland and Sacramento and some other flights so try to imagine how big this line was they had us waiting 2 .5 hours standing waiting in line to be checked in. They did not had enough personnel to accommodate all international flights in one single line, all passengers were really tired and upset to the point that one customer started confronting the ground crew and all passengers applauded this passenger for voicing their frustration so obiously we end up departing late from Guadalajara to Sacramento. Avoid using this airline at all cost.
RouteGuadalajara to Sacramento
Date FlownAugust 2017

"never make up for their mistakes"

Verified Review | Tijuana to Culiacan. I have been flying Volaris for years now. I love the flight, but hate how they constantly screw the customer on any changes or cancellations. I guess they get away with it because they are a Mexican company. the latest fiasco was I purchased a ticket. 3 hours later tried to cancel, but they wouldn't let me and get my monies back. I spent hours on the phone with them. They tried to change my ticket instead. they only had change flights that were non direct, probably knowing I wouldn't do it. The direct were available per the online booking, but they never showed those flights if you wanted to change your ticket. It went on and on and on. hours and hours. They would never make up for their mistakes which were numerous.
RouteTijuana to Culiacan
Date FlownJuly 2017

"service was horrible"

Verified Review | Querétaro to Cancún. I am flying with a 8 month old, a 5 year old, a 12 year old and my wife. My 8 month old baby carriage is a two piece as most of them are since she is so young. One is the baby seat and the carrier. We called ahead of time and made sure we could take it and we were told that we had to check it in as one of our bags, which to start is crazy since many airlines allow you to take your stroller to the door if the plane and check it. When we approach the service desk they wanted to charge it as two separate bags. Stroller being one and the car seat being the other. We told them that it's one stroller but it comes in two pieces due to the age and they did not want to hear it, just wanted us to pay for an extra luggage. After a 5 minutes argument I found a garbage bag where I folded my stroller and place both the stroller and car seat attachment into the plastic bag and finally was able to check it as one bag. The service was horrible and I will not recommend this airline to any one traveling with young kids.
RouteQuerétaro to Cancún
Date FlownJuly 2017

"seating is too cramped"

Verified Review | Guadalajara to Sacramento. I am a partially disabled senior and I fly back and forth across the border with a cat. I cannot recommend Volaris. The seating is too cramped for a 4.5 hour flight (I am not tall or obese). The desk attendant at the Guadalajara airport lacked training and was unable to deal adequately with my situation. I was charged additional fee for my checked luggage as between the time I booked and paid for the flight, rules had changed, and did not get the seat I requested and paid for. Kind seatmates on the plane interfered for me as the stewardess did not speak English and my Spanish wasn't good enough (or she just didn't want to listen). You are truly pesoed to death on this airline. Everything but a cramped plastic seat is mas dinero.
RouteGuadalajara to Sacramento
Date FlownApril 2017

"least legroom I have ever tried"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Puebla to Cancun. Quick check in in smallish Puebla airport. Service was ok for a budget airline and the plane left on time. Ticket was pretty cheap. Believe had bought an extra which allowed bags to be checked. They were out of food and snacks for sale. Had the least legroom I have ever tried.
RoutePuebla to Cancun
Date FlownApril 2017

"saving the money was not worth it"

Verified Review | My girlfriend and I live in San Diego, and saw that it was cheaper to walk across the Mexican border and fly out of Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas then it was to fly out of our regular airport we like to use, San Diego Airport. We saved about $300 total on our flight. However, saving the money was not worth it. When we got to the airport, we arrived 1.5 hours early. The staff said we could not check our bag for an hour. About an hour passed and we were furious and they allowed us to check our bag - but don't worry, they charged us an extra $50 for our bag we had already brought on the way there. When we finally got into the terminal, we noticed that our flight should have been boarding, and we asked the front desk why we were not. They said they didn't know. We googled our flight, and it said it was delayed for 5 hours because of the rain, it was 85 degrees and sunny outside, both in Cabo and Tijuana. We are so frustrated with our experience and will never fly with Volaris again.
RouteCabo San Lucas, Mexico to Tijuana, Mexico
Date FlownMarch 2017

"not be flying Volaris again"

Verified Review | Mexico City to Los Angeles via Guadalajara. I had a reservation on Saturday Feb 25th for a nonstop flight from Mexico City to Los Angeles, departing at 11:37am, purchased weeks in advance. On February 22nd, just a few days in advance, I received an e-mail saying that my flight was cancelled. No explanation was provided. I was told to call to reschedule. The first time I called, I waited on hold for 15 minutes, never reached anyone, and finally hung up. The second time I called, I waited on hold for 10 minutes before finally reaching someone whose English was difficult to understand, and whose phoneline was filled by background noise. She told me that there were only two options for getting back to Los Angeles. I could either take a nonstop flight departing at 8pm and getting me in to Los Angeles late at night, or I could leave at 7am in the morning for Guadalajara, and then fly from there to Los Angeles. I chose the 7am option, which required me to get up at 3:30am to get to the airport in time. All in all, it was a terrible experience. I have never had a flight cancelled like this by any other airline, and then to have the only other options be a flight very early in the morning or late at night, and to not offer to compensate me was terrible. Not to mention the awful experience with calling the customer service phoneline. I will not be flying Volaris again.
RouteMexico City to Los Angeles