Volaris

"staff impressively efficient"

Verified Review | Mexico City to Tapachula. Given the fair number of negative reviews, I was a tad nervous about flying Volaris but the price was right. Takeoff was late by an hour or so due to the airport (a dozen other flights by various airlines got delayed as well). Airport staff were impressively efficient about getting me to the right queues and gates, including several individuals who spoke English. Seating was typical for a budget airline anywhere. No luxuries but everything clean, polite and okay in general. I don't doubt that problems occur with Volaris and that I was fortunate – still, I'd fly with them again.
RouteMEX to TAP
Date FlownNovember 2016

"poor service"

Verified Review | Cancun to San José with Volaris. They cancelled our flight (which they seem to do a lot reading other reviews). I called the airline to ask what to do next. They did not want to explain why my flight was cancelled and told me to be able to move it to 9 or 10 days later. I said that 9 or 10 days later is obviously too late and not a reasonable offer. I asked for a refund, which they refused. They wanted to cancel the ticket and keep the money without a reasonable solution. This is totally unacceptable which I of course told them. After getting angry they suddenly could offer me a flight the next morning. Please do not choose this airline. The risk that they cancel the flight is huge and you will have problems getting a good alternative. This makes the airline expensive rather than cheap, with poor service and lack of other advantages.
RouteCUN to SJO
Date FlownNovember 2016

"service is horrible"

Colima to Tijuana with Volaris. Service is horrible. Never will I nor my family will take this airline. Flight attendants are there to assist and to have pleasant flight not to just look pretty and greet you in. I know it's a budget low close airline but at least give free water and coffee complimentary as part of the service. I fly alot would rather pay that extra cost to fly with major airline like Areomexico or Alaska to fly to Mexico. So the best advice is to pay that extra $30 to $50 to get better service and comfort.
RouteCLQ to TIJ
Date FlownOctober 2016

"everything was good and on time"

Verified Review | Having read all the negative Reviews, I was a bit nervous before my flight from Monterrey to Puerto Vallarta with Volaris. The only issue I had was with the online check-in. There I could only assign seats which cost extra which was annoying. So we went to the "normal" check in counter at MTY, service was fast and they put me next to my girlfriend so everything was fine. The flight was on schedule and even arrived earlier in PTV (about 15 minutes). On the way back everything was good and on time. If you are used to European low cost carriers Volaris has about the same quality in terms of seating, service etc. Only the on-board lugagge is a bit smaller but you are allowed to check a small bag (~15kg I think). This is a low-cost airline (although from a European stand point the tickets are not that cheap), and as such it is really good (or at least my one experience was).
RouteMTY to PVR
Date FlownOctober 2016

"aircraft clean and comfortable"

Cancun to Aguascalientes with Volaris. A family trip from Cancun to my parent's home. Professional airport agents providing swift check-in and directions to gate. Boarding process a bit chaotic with some people on wheelchairs making their way through steep stairs to board the aircraft. Aircraft clean and comfortable. No inflight service - but prompt arrival to our destination. I fly Volaris as my last option because you basically have to plan for everything, including number of luggage pieces, along with their weight and dimension. This last one is always a favorite of this airline. If the length, by width, by height exceeds their specific size, you will be charged. This is how the low ticket prices becomes expensive very quickly, not to mention the disturbing experience of feeling nickel-and-dimed. Agents know this but I think their pay depends on their vigilant eye.
RouteCUN to AGU
Date FlownAugust 2016

"very pleased with the airline"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Flight Mexico to Denver. After reading the many negative reviews for Volaris I was concerned when I figured out it was the only airline that would fly direct to Denver. I had to fly my son (6 years old) by himself for the first time so he could study abroad. So I could feel more secure about the transaction, I traveled to the airport in Mexico City to purchase the ticket. With the unaccompanied minor fee it was a total of 9000 pesos aprox. They recommended to arrive 3 hours early on the day of departure. When we arrived at 7 am to check in and the ladies were very nice. They gave us the forms to fill out for customs and immigration and the release and deliverance for my son. We then proceeded to check the baggage where we handed them the forms plus the tourist FMM form we recieved when we entered the country along with the passport. They put everything in a bag like thing with a lanyard that they wear on the flight. They told us to return at 9 am sharp. I was beyond scared for him because I thought he was going be the only minor on the flight. When we returned there were about 14 other children that were also flying solo. It made me feel so relieved. They called out the names of each child for check in, then proceeded to security where we said our goodbyes and one by one recieved their lanyard to wear. They proceeded through security where we waited for their flight to leave. My son called me and said he was sitting down playing with his game and the plane was ready to leave. I tracked the plane until it arrived in Denver where my aunt was waiting for him. After the plane arrived he took about an hour in customs where the attendants from Volaris released him to my aunt after her signature. Once I called my son and asked him how the flight was and how he was treated, he said it was good and that they gave him chips and water and didn't even ask him for his 10 dollars (which I had given to him just in case). I am very pleased with the airline and hope to encounter the same experience when I fly with them.
RouteMEX to DEN

"dissatisfied and disappointed"

(Mexico)

I will not use this airline again! My wife with my 2 little girls (6 & 2) were coming from Tapachula to Tijuana, scheduled to arrive in Mexico City, at 12:55pm. Volaris decides to change the flight from Mexico City to Tijuana from 3:47pm to 8:00am! That makes no sense at all. So now my wife and daughters were stuck in the airport hoping to get a flight any time during the day back to Tijuana. The agent on the phone said there was nothing he could do - he had the tenacity to tell me I should've called 24hrs prior to get a better option. There's no justifying reason for Volaris to have made that change in times, it makes no sense for them to give her a schedule she cannot keep up with. Very dissatisfied and disappointed.
RouteTAP to TIJ
Date FlownAugust 2016

"breach of privacy and security"

Verified Review | Cancun to Mexico City. On Aug 9 I bought online, after much difficulty, 2 flights from Volaris, and received my confirmation code. But at the airport on Aug 11 it did not exist - they said it was a problem with my Visa, that it did not authenticate. So I was forced to buy a more expensive flight on the spot with my Mastercard. I had to threaten to scream at the airport, because they just kept telling me to go away from the check-in desk! It was a horrible experience, I had to be very stubborn (because I was desperate) and finally they agreed to give me a discount certificate for the price difference. They said the problem was with my Visa, that if it doesn't authenticate in 3 hours after purchase on Aug 9, the reservation code is not good and you don't get the email confirmation or a cancellation email. But actually, my Visa was charged, on Aug 10, and 3 times! On Aug 11, at the airport, there was no record of this or my original reservation code. I'm still waiting for Volaris to return my money, more than CAN$1000. More problems: I never got an email about the first or second (successful) flights, but now I get emails that are for other customers, every day! It is a breach of privacy and security. It is also spam. I have sent Volaris many messages about this, on Facebook and by email, to 3 different addresses.
RouteCUN to MEX
Date FlownAugust 2016

"pay or throw it to the trash"

Guadalajara to Tijuana. Terrible. I have a toddler flying with a car seat at 11pm, they told me I could not check It in for free at the bottom of the airplane when it clearly states on their website this is done without any additional feeds. I flew 4 times from Tijuana/Guadalajara/ Cancun back and forth within these two weeks, nobody said anything until our last flight coming back to Tijuana from Guadalajara. They were trying to charge us 1000 pesos in order for me to be able to add in on the bottom of the plane all because it had cup holders so they considered it too be non infant! Ridiculous! Extremely disappointed. They said pay or throw it to the trash. 3 rating for the service inside the airplane.
RouteGDL to TIJ
Date FlownJuly 2016

"experiences were very positive"

My experiences were very positive. I traveled from Tijuana to La Paz and back in May 2016 and in April-May 2015. The planes were on time and the people were friendly. The seats were more spacious and more comfortable than the economy passenger seats in the US based airlines. One checked bag is figured into the ticket pricing. The above seat stowage of carry on bags was ample for good sized bags. Food could be purchased, which was not a problem for me. I was thoroughly pleased and will definitely travel with them again.
RouteTIJ to LAP