Volaris

"least legroom I have ever tried"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Puebla to Cancun. Quick check in in smallish Puebla airport. Service was ok for a budget airline and the plane left on time. Ticket was pretty cheap. Believe had bought an extra which allowed bags to be checked. They were out of food and snacks for sale. Had the least legroom I have ever tried.
RoutePuebla to Cancun
Date FlownApril 2017

"saving the money was not worth it"

Verified Review | My girlfriend and I live in San Diego, and saw that it was cheaper to walk across the Mexican border and fly out of Tijuana to Cabo San Lucas then it was to fly out of our regular airport we like to use, San Diego Airport. We saved about $300 total on our flight. However, saving the money was not worth it. When we got to the airport, we arrived 1.5 hours early. The staff said we could not check our bag for an hour. About an hour passed and we were furious and they allowed us to check our bag - but don't worry, they charged us an extra $50 for our bag we had already brought on the way there. When we finally got into the terminal, we noticed that our flight should have been boarding, and we asked the front desk why we were not. They said they didn't know. We googled our flight, and it said it was delayed for 5 hours because of the rain, it was 85 degrees and sunny outside, both in Cabo and Tijuana. We are so frustrated with our experience and will never fly with Volaris again.
RouteCabo San Lucas, Mexico to Tijuana, Mexico
Date FlownMarch 2017

"not be flying Volaris again"

Verified Review | Mexico City to Los Angeles via Guadalajara. I had a reservation on Saturday Feb 25th for a nonstop flight from Mexico City to Los Angeles, departing at 11:37am, purchased weeks in advance. On February 22nd, just a few days in advance, I received an e-mail saying that my flight was cancelled. No explanation was provided. I was told to call to reschedule. The first time I called, I waited on hold for 15 minutes, never reached anyone, and finally hung up. The second time I called, I waited on hold for 10 minutes before finally reaching someone whose English was difficult to understand, and whose phoneline was filled by background noise. She told me that there were only two options for getting back to Los Angeles. I could either take a nonstop flight departing at 8pm and getting me in to Los Angeles late at night, or I could leave at 7am in the morning for Guadalajara, and then fly from there to Los Angeles. I chose the 7am option, which required me to get up at 3:30am to get to the airport in time. All in all, it was a terrible experience. I have never had a flight cancelled like this by any other airline, and then to have the only other options be a flight very early in the morning or late at night, and to not offer to compensate me was terrible. Not to mention the awful experience with calling the customer service phoneline. I will not be flying Volaris again.
RouteMexico City to Los Angeles
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"online booking system is a nightmare"

(Mexico)

Verified Review | Due to fly Volaris from Puerto Vallarta to Tijuana. The online booking system is a nightmare. Never functions correctly. I tried 3 times to book online. Phone customer service charges you more money than the online system. But the online system never works! The customer service staff are completely unhelpful. Will never fly with this company again. They hide extra charges everywhere. Your ticket price doubles and you don't know why.
RoutePVR to TIJ
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Volaris will not refund us"

Verified Review | Chicago Midway to Durango. Purchased same day flight tickets at 10:30 am for 12:15 pm due to a death in the family in Mexico. We live an hour away from the airport and arrived at 11:20 and were not allowed to get on the plane. We were advised doors were closed early at 11:15. I tried to cancel and they stated "the policy is you have to arrive 3 hours before your flight". Again 4 tickets were purchased same day at 10:30, arrived at airport at 11:20, for 12:15 flight. My family sat there, the plane did not leave until 12:30. Volaris will not refund us due to "the policy". I explained this was an emergency, and I am devastated that such a big company can not refund due to the situation.
RouteChicago Midway to Durango
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"crew was friendly and efficient"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Leon/Guanajuato to Los Angeles. Online booking and check-in was easy, website was easy to navigate. This is a low-cost airline and we knew that when booking, so we did know what to expect. The baggage policy is unusual, one checked bag per person is free, but medium size cabin baggage is not. We paid USD12 upon booking for one cabin bag. In addition small items such as handbags and laptops are free. We found the rules clear and had no issues. The aircraft was new, built 2016, clean and in very good shape. The legroom was VERY cramped, so it was not a top comfortable 3hr flight. There is no entertainment system, and nothing onboard is free, even water carries a price. Some snacks and drinks are advertised in the menu card, but no advertised sandwiches were available, only peanuts and chips etc. The cabin crew was friendly and efficient, some spoke decent english. The flight departed and arrived on-time which we consider important. If one accepts the low-cost airline policy, this is very good product. It is easy to find better comfort/service using legacy carriers, if prepared to pay up.
RouteLeon/Guanajuato to Los Angeles
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"the leg room was terrible"

Verified Review | Cancun to Tijuana via Mexico City. The only good thing is that Volaris planes are newer. But they didn't have sandwiches as they forgot to load them on a 3hr flight. No TV's, radio or entertainment. My husband is 6' and the leg room was terrible for him. Aeromexico at least has IFE and they lend you headphones, and the leg room is way better.
RouteCUN to TIJ via MEX

"I am so infuriated"

Verified Review | Denver to Guadalajara. I can't emphasize enough how utterly terrible Volaris was to me yesterday. I paid to bring my pet. I complied with their published policy which states clearly "the health certificate must have validity for at least 5 days" before travel. Her certificate had validity for 30 days. 30 is more than 5. Using the words "at least" means "at a minimum" not "at a maximum". The employees at the ticketing counter don't understand the definition of the words used in their policies and refused to give me a boarding pass. I was able to fly with the same certificate on a different airline the next day without issue, other than the fact I had to pay out of pocket for the new ticket. I am so infuriated I can hardly breathe. I paid for a ticket and they agreed to provide the service I paid for, given I met their conditions. I met their conditions. They stole my money.
RouteDEN to GDL
Date FlownDecember 2016

"airline is like a comedy show"

Verified Review | Never fly with Volaris. We travel globally regularly, this is our worst experience and the airline is like a comedy show. The flight from hell from San Francisco to Mexico City. 3 hours delay initially - on boarding they said 19 passengers that had waited over 3 hours didn't have seats, offered incentives to stay behind, that was accomplished and another hour. We boarded the plane then were told the weight is much for the plane 17 passengers will have to get off. They offered $900 complementary flights another time, with Volaris as incentive. Finally when there were 4 passengers still over the quota, last passengers to booked in were existed the plane. Shocking to experience, that took another hour, 5 hours late now - got to Mexico City no terminal free waited until they got staff to bring 2 buses to pick us up - the stairs to walk were loose and staff had to help some passengers out. Waited 2 hours for the baggage to get into the airport. Connecting flights were again missed. We arrived safely, that's a plus. We had to reorganise our plans. So many people had crying babies, children and so many missed connecting flights. Care factor for passengers nil from the airline. The mind boggles at how this airline meets the strict global requirements to operate.
RouteSFO to MEX
Date FlownDecember 2016

"still have not issued a refund"

Verified Review | I was supposed to take a round trip to Morelia from Chicago with Volaris. I arrived at the airport at 5am 2 hours before my flight and checked in my bags. I ended up paying $185 dollars for overweight luggage on both of my bags. I got a boarding pass and went through security down to the waiting area before boarding my flight. After a couple of hours waiting they announced that they had canceled the flight and directed all customers back to the customer service desk for further information. By the time I was waited on, the 2 clerks that were on duty were very worn down with all people's complaints and arguments since they did not have any other flights they were offering refunds. However, the Volaris employee at the airport could not give me a refund for the overweight luggage that I had just paid nor give my husband an immediate refund for the canceled flight so I could catch another flight as I had to be in Morelia the same day. Instead he gave me a phone number to call (Volaris customer service) and they would resolve the problem and issue a refund of all charges; in addition he gave me a code number for a $200 dollars bonus that I could use on a future flight (they offered the same thing to all passengers to make them calm down so they would just leave the service desk at that chaotic moment). My husband ended up booking a flight out of O'Hare airport to Guadalajara the same day. After many, many calls to Volaris they still have not issued a refund for the flight, the overweight charges and the $200 dollars bonus money that they offered, saying that the code they provided at the airport was invalid.
RouteMDW to MLM