SATA International

"friendly staff"

Overall, a very good experience with SATA International from Toronto to Madeira in poor weather conditions. Rapidly deteriorating weather (snow, ice and wind) delayed the departure from Toronto for about 3 hours. When conditions improved, and after a complete deicing, we were one of the first planes to leave. SATA automatically rebooked us for our missed connection in Ponta Delgada and we arrived at our final destination about 4 hours later than scheduled. Pretty good food and wine on board. Friendly staff from check in to arrival. There was a small luggage problem in PDL that was resolved brilliantly by SATA ground staff. Great price.
RouteYYZ to FNC via PDL
Date FlownDecember 2015

"this was not their problem"

Boston to Lisbon with SATA International, and we booked a package deal with SATA that included a car rental. One month after returning home, the car rental company charged us for repairs for damages that we did not incur. When I contacted SATA they were abrupt and told me that this was not their problem. Beware!
RouteBOS to LIS
Date FlownNovember 2015

"difficulties at the airport"

Toronto to Ponta Delgada. If you fly SATA (or any Portuguese airline) and have difficulties at the airport, ask for their "livro de reclamacoes" or complaint. All Portuguese businesses have these and pay heavy fines for complaints. I have done this several times and things change for the better very quickly. If they say they do not have one, it is a lie.
RouteYYZ to PDL
Date FlownJune 2015

"worst I have seen"

I feel very strongly about the service I did not receive with SATA, which from Boston to Ponta Delgada and back was the worst I have seen. The food was was equally bad. Our return flight was late, causing us to miss our connecting flight. We booked through a different airline and did not notify SATA about the connection. The ground crew told us that there was nothing she could do. She then proceeded to turn her back on us and walked away.
RouteBOS to PDL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"disdain I have for SATA"

As I sit here in yet another airport, hundreds of dollars later and still trying to get home, I am struggling to find the words to adequately describe the disdain I have for SATA. My entire vacation (original flight and hotel) has now been cheaper than trying to get home from it due to SATA's incapability to maintain their flight schedules and communicate effectively with their customers. Departing from Boston, there were delays costing us to lose an entire day in Lisbon, instead of Terceira. On an inter-island flight to Sao Miguel, there were delays costing us several more hours of an already short day and a half trip. Returning home; however, was the straw that broke the camel's back. Unspecified delays cost me to miss both flights I needed to make to home. Because it was a SATA delay, and not a United (my retuning flight) issue, United wouldn't cover the costs of re-issuing my flight home, nor would they put me up in a hotel for the same reason. Several hundred dollars, 20,000 hotel points and a day later than expected, I am back in an airport, hopefully getting home later this morning. I will never recommend this airline, which is a shame because the Azores were a lovely place I would highly recommend people visit. If SATA is their only option for reasonable prices getting there, they would have better luck swimming across the ocean themselves.
RouteBoston to Terceira

"the worst lounge"

My complaint is about the SATA International lounge in Boston. It is the worst lounge and the most unfriendly and unhelpful people. Our flight was delayed, and I asked them when they were putting food out, because all they had out were crackers. They said they weren't putting any food out. I've been in lounges all over the world, and this lounge is the worst. Priority should not be associated with this lounge, it is very low budget.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownDecember 2015

"last time we will fly them "

This is the last time we will fly with them now there is a competitor on the route from London to Ponta Delgada flying all the year round, and 3 of us are flying now for the price of one seat on SATA. SATA continues to offer poor time keeping and cancellations, poor inflight service, no entertainment, basic food and bags delayed on a regular basis. After 18 years of having no choice - we are now off.
RouteLGW to PDL
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"service continue to be awful"

The SATA International BOS-LIS flight was fine, with only a slight delay. For this segment we flew Business Class as we do every summer. Don't expect much in the way of service, just a larger seat and a better meal. Service quality has noticeably declined each and every year over the past several years. The return segment was LIS-PDL-BOS, At the check in counter we could tell there was a problem, however the agent was not advising us of what it was. We had our business class seats for the LIS-PDL flight, but not for PDL-BOS. There was a change of planes in PDL and the layout of the new plane did not have sufficient business class seats. After 1 hour at the counter we were advised of this. The counter agent could not assist with the issue and was not apologetic at all. We finally spoke with a supervisor and we explained that the reason we fly business is for health/medical issues and legroom was a necessity. He advised that here was nothing he could do. The flight from PDL-BOS was awful. The flight was operated by a "mystery" carrier, HIFLY who was covering for SATA. The flight crew was very young, inexperienced and there was no interaction between them and the passengers. The SATA branded meal was awful. Dry chicken breast and dry, inedible potatoes. Throughout the whole ordeal, no apologies, just advise to seek a refund. The flight ruined an otherwise great vacation. It has been 6 weeks and 4 follow up emails since my complaint to customer service with only we are working on the issue. Without competition on this route, for which the Azores has given exclusive rights to SATA, service will continue to be awful due to the monopoly on these flights. If there were other non stop options form Boston I would use them without hesitation.
RouteBoston to Lisbon
Date FlownAugust 2015

"cabins very deteriorated"

(Italy)

From Lisbon to Sao Tome and back. Both the flights were on time, but the boardings were chaotic. Old aircraft, cabins very deteriorated and few comforts. Uncomfortable seats, small pitch and poor legroom. the Inflight entertainment was poor. On the way back to Lisbon the plane was very dirty. Decent food, but lack of choice for beverage Crew friendly, but that was the only positive thing.
AircraftA310-200
RouteLisbon to Sao tomè
Date FlownNovember 2014

"worst company I have ever known"

(Portugal)

Unfortunately, SATA is the worst company I have ever known. I have been living in Ponta Delgada for 6 years, and not a single time any flight operated by SATA was on time. Last time it was a delay of 12.5 hours on flight Ponta Delgada-Lisbon, we have been waiting for about 3 hours to rebook our connection flights, they have not provided a hotel ("book it yourself through internet, but no more than for 80 euros, otherwise we will not pay it back"). In Lisbon they lost my luggage and I have been waiting for 2 more hours. Moreover, during the last year they have lost my luggage 4-5 times, almost every time when I travel, they have already to issue the card of "regular luggage lost" for me.
RoutePonta Delgada to BRU via LIS