SATA International

"far and away the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Lisbon via Ponta Delgada. We fly with some frequency and this is by far and away the worst airline I’ve ever experienced. Rude, zero customer support, vague, and no accountability when flights are delayed. Getting a coupon for lunch doesn’t really recoup over 24hr of lost travel time and hotels. Awful experience.
RouteToronto to Lisbon via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownMarch 2018

"infamous for being unreliable"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Lisbon to Horta. It is infamous for being unreliable due to having an ancient fleet and the temperamental weather in the Azores. My own experience with the airline is reasonable once on board, but very negative on the way there. Initially, I had booked a Business Class ticket because these are flexible and the website promises "free" changes and refunds, and because of the luggage allowance and comfort. When I asked to change the ticket to a different flight on the same day, staff asked for an "admin fee". I pointed out that the website promised this was free, but they ignored this and insisted. I showed them screenshots, showed them the terms and conditions of the ticket, but they would not budge. Ultimately, I cancelled the ticket (which also cost an admin fee despite being promised this was free) because this airline is dishonest, and doesn't deserve the extra revenue. So I booked an economy ticket. When, I realised that the luggage allowance wasn't going to suffice, I checked the website to see if I could pre-pay for extra luggage. There was no such option, but some quick maths revealed that it was cheaper to buy a ticket than to pay for the 23kg of luggage allowance each ticket includes. So, after again looking through the terms and conditions and not finding anything which precludes passengers from buying more than one ticket, that's what I did. (Incidentally, I did the exact same thing for the British Airways flight taking me to Lisbon). After checking in online and choosing two adjacent seats for myself, I turned up at the airport to drop off the luggage. Things did not go well. Staff told me they were cancelling my second ticket. Not only that, but they told me "this is a no refund fare" so they cancelled it without refunding, then charged me the full amount for the extra luggage. I repeatedly asked them to show me which terms and conditions I had broken (none), and which policies they were following (also none), but to no avail. They would not even answer the questions. I pointed out that British Airways had accepted the same solution without a problem the day before, but they just shrugged. It was like talking to - and asking questions of - a brick wall. As I was the only customer there, it wasn't even as if they had a queue of people to worry about - they just would not try to resolve the situation. If you look at the Azores Airlines website, you'll see that their rules and terms are rudimentary. They look as if they were copied from a template document, without being updated by anyone. When faced with any scenario they aren't used to, staff will try to make the problem go away, without any regard for passengers' rights, or legal contracts. They also will not respond to your written complaints (I complained over a month ago) or the Online Dispute Resolution Service their site links to. Unfortunately, when booking a flight with Azores Airlines, you take the risk that the airline takes your money and doesn't hold up its end of the deal. The flight itself was uneventful. On-board staff were ok, and a ham and cheese sandwich was served. There was no vegetarian option (even though I ticked a box during booking), but for a 2.5 hour flight, it's not the end of the world.
RouteLisbon to Horta
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"disappointed with this airline"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | Porto to Ponta Delgada. Well, we started with a 2 hour delay with no properly explained reason, one time they said it was due to snow when the airplane was leaving Frankfurt on a prior flight, another time they said it was due to bad weather in Portugal. Check in was quick and I have to admit the ground crew was really good on briefing me about what could happen and at what hour I should go to the airport but I could notice they didn't really knew why the plane was so late. The flight was moved from 22h00 to 1h15 and we were told although we were entitled to a meal voucher all restaurants were already close and that was indeed true. So I went to the waiting room after a 2h delay, having had a early meal to be able to meet the original departure time (I had already had my meal when I was informed that the flight had been delayed) and was already hungry and sleep when I arrived at the waiting area. Once there, and after waiting for almost an 1h one of the staff member appeared and simply said that our flight had been postponed for another 2h30 with no more explanation and immediately went away. Very rude. We were left for 2h30 in a extremely cold and drafting waiting area, with no food, no drinks, nothing. Not even vending machines could be used. After about 5h delay the plane took of. It was old, clean but not very comfortable. Crew was ok but never nice, and food was boring and unremarkable to say the least. No inflght entertainment or wi-fi was available and the crew never dimmed the cabin lights. It was very frustrating, we were sleepy, late, tired and needed to get to work soon in the morning and they didn't even let us have some sleep during the flight. Horrible. We finally arrived at 4h45 local time, when we should be arriving at 23h. I lost part of my work day the next day and had an horrrible night. It was not a nice flight, the crew was not nice or sympathetic and I was very disappointed with this airline.
Date FlownDecember 2017

"they refused to dim the lights"

(Portugal)

Trip Verified | A mess of a company. Booking was fast and simple and I even got a very good price for my flight. Check in was also ok but then came the notice that the flight had been moved from 22.00 to 1.30am. I called the counter in Porto and they were very polite (as usual) and very professional, explaining that the flight had been moved so was the limit for luggage drop off and even warning me that due to the incoming bad weather I might not be able to fly at all. Arrived at the airport, the girl on the check in was very nice and I decided to go to the company's counter to check if I could be compensated for the delays, they were excellent, giving me the legislation, explaining in more detail the reason for the delay and told me they could give me a voucher meal but that because of the late time (almost midnight) all restaurants were closed. I thanked them and refused the offer as it would be of no use for me and decided to go to the boarding gate and that is when it all went bad. When at the boarding gate, we were told with no further explanation that our flight had been moved yet again to 3.15am, the reason being that snow at Frankfurt had delayed the departure of the plane early on, except that no other flight form Frankfurt had been delayed more than 2, maybe 2.5 hours. We had to wait in a very cold corner of the airport, with no drinks, no food, no assistance and no heating. Finally we boarded the plane, old plane, in good shape and very clean. Not the roomiest seats, no entertainment whatsoever and no wifi. Crew were ok but not nice and food was acceptable. What was not acceptable was the fact that they refused to dim the lights so we could sleep or at least rest during the flight. We finally arrived at our destination, after a very slow flight (not only were we delayed but the plane flew slower than usually) and it was about 5.00 when I got my bags, way behind the 23.20 schedule. Of course I couldn't make it to my work merely 3h later, very bad situation and it messed up my entire week. Cheers for the Porto ground staff at the counter, they were very nice and helpful!
Date FlownDecember 2017

"not helpful or friendly"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Porto to Ponta Delgada. The waiting times for check in were simply absurd for a 180 passengers flight. One line for regular passengers and 3 for priority is not acceptable. Waiting to board and the flight was late (as usual) and the company didn't bother to tell the customers and staff at the gate were totally oblivious of passengers, almost as if we didn't exist. Boarding was long and confusing because this airlines lets passengers carry everything they want into the cabin and then there is not enough room for passengers to store their belongings. Seats were not that roomy, they were ok but the new Airbus seats on the TAP and EasyJet give so much more space and are much more comfortable. No entertainment apart from some small and far way screens showing some boring adverts about the Azores, with no sound. No music, no usb port or mains to charge the mobile and no Wi-Fi. This could be ok if the flight wasn't that expensive but it was. Plane looked clean, the key word here being "looked" because as soon as I opened the seat pocket in front of me to store my wallet I noticed how dirty it was. Cabin crew was not helpful or friendly by any standards and serving the meals was embarrassing to say the least. They started serving from the front of the plane and took forever, then for no logical reason they started collecting the trays from behind leaving no time for passengers to finish the meal and even trying to hurry them up. Very rude. For some reason, although I had finished, the steward didn't collect my tray and even after 2 passengers seating next to my tried to call his attention he didn't care and ignored them so another passenger standing in the aisle, next to the cart did his job for him and very nicely took my tray and put it in the cart. Cabin crew's chief was the worst, bordering on rude. He looked very experienced but he was very pretentious and when he asked me if I would want coffee or tea and I replied with "can I have both, please?" - he stared at me as if I was asking for the most outrageous thing in the world. That was nothing compared to what he did to the passenger in front of me. He asked the lady if she would want sugar or cream with her coffee and she said yes please, one bag - so the chief of the cabin crew asked her of cream or sugar? and the lady replied very politely I said a bag, so sugar, please - and he lost his temper and shouted almost as if talking to a toddler. "Lady, one bag can be of cream or sugar, I don't guess what you want!" News for him, cream was not being served on bags but sugar was. Food was dry, without flavour and the bread was very hard to chew. We did arrive late, as always and no apologies where presented. Redeeming grace for the this company: When still at Porto I had to contact the SATA desk and those people over there were amazing. Very professional, very nice and kind and with a great sense of humour.
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"this airline was just horrible"

Verified Review | Boston to Lisbon. My experience with this airline was just horrible. My girlfriend and I were scheduled to depart for Lisbon on September 5th. We bought our tickets 4 months in advance. On the day of our trip we found out while attempting to check in our luggage that the flight had been cancelled and when asked the reason for this cancellation the employee at the counter refused to explain and merely offered to reschedule our flight. I can't stress enough how profoundly irritated I was with this situation. We had made a car reservation which we lost for failing to pick up the vehicle in Lisbon by the stipulated time. We had to pay a fee for the late check in into the house that we had rented as well as pay for an extra day that we lost with the delay. It is my opinion that not only did they fail to explain the reason for this cancellation they also failed to offer any compensation for the tremendous hassle they caused us. I will not travel with SATA ever again and i will certainly make sure that none of my friends do either.
RouteBoston to Lisbon
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"looked like novices"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | To start with check in and boarding was very long and staff was not particularly nice. Has usual, we boarded late and departed after the scheduled time, to be honest I can't remember a SATA flight departing on time. Plane was old, reasonably clean, it could be much better if you take into consideration it was the first flight of the day. Seats were old and with not that much legroom and no entertainment on board, just some old CRT screens showing some boring adverts to the Azores and with no sound to go with it. Crew was ok but never really friendly and didn't bother much in the way of helping passengers with luggage. Smiling a bit more wouldn't hurt them either. No sales were done. When it comes to the meal that is when everything goes really bad. Service was slow, just a few choices of soft drinks, wines and beer. The meal itself was the usual sandwich with very hard bread, seemed like yesterday's leftovers, very hard to chew and the filling was uninspired to say the least and lacking heavily on taste. The little cupcake for desert was ok. Then the crew came and started taking «all the trays«. All the trays isn't the correct term here, maybe "some trays". For some unknown reason the left mine behind, I tried to warn them, they didn't care, them the two passengers next to me called for the staff but he didn't care too, so one of the passengers got up and called him again. The crew was really not paying any attention to what they were doing or to the passengers. When the plane was preparing to land, much to my amazement, several passengers had to get up and walk to the back of the plane to get the used trays to the crew because the crew had done such a poor job collecting them. It was painful to look at such a bad performance from the crew, they almost looked like novices or something. As usual, we landed late.
RoutePonta Delgado to Porto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"cancelled 3 of the 10 flights"

Verified Review | Great flights, but my wife and I flew SATA from Boston to Terceira, Azores on April 26, 2017, seats 25F, G. The 4.5 hour trip was on time, leaving Boston about 10.20 pm. The plane was new, the seats comfortable — nicer than what we have recently had on trans-Atlantic flights, the dinner tasty (although served at midnight Boston time) and service excellent. The return trip was equally pleasant. We hope to use SATA for travel to Portugal (with a "free" stopover in the Azores on the way home) likely in the fall 2018. So, I give SATA high marks for comfort, service, food, and value. However, our flight from TER to BOS on May 4 was also cancelled, the plane, due to technical reasons, never left Lisbon. Some 200 of us sat at the airport waiting for the plane, every half hour or so there was an announcement that there would be another announcement later. Not until an enterprising would-be traveler tracked down an airline rep did we get meaningful information. Eventually the flight was cancelled and SATA arranged good quality lodging, local transportation, and meals: excellent dinner, good breakfast, and lunch. We were rescheduled to return to Boston, returning some 26 hours late. So, in our 10 days of experience with SATA they cancelled 3 of the 10 flights from TER to BOS. The two flights we were on, however, were excellent. Further negotiation: pursuant EU regulation (EC 261/2004) I requested 600 euros each for me and my wife as compensation for the cancellation. SATA began a negotiation: first, offering me two 50 % off vouchers (I would though pay the tax) for travel in the next year. I responded requesting the total of 1200 euro; SATA countered with an offer of two 75 % off vouchers (I pay the tax) good for two years. I asked for the 1200 euros; SATA again countered, suggesting this would be their final offer, with two 100 % off vouchers (I pay the tax) good for one year. It is my dwindling hope to reach an agreement with SATA without involving the EU.
RouteBoston to Terceira
Date FlownMay 2017

"experience was simply horrible"

Verified Review | Toronto to Ponta Delgado. I want to concur with the other review on this airline published May 23rd. My experience on May 21st was simply horrible. I had to cancel my flight with Sata and ask for reimbursement. That's sad as I was really looking forward to visit the Azores. But the company decided to cancel the flight from Toronto to PDG and postpone it to the 22nd. I got no help upon arrival in Toronto, no forewarning at my point of departure (in Montreal) by anyone associated with the company, no instructions in Toronto, a tentative rebooking of seat that did no comply with the original request on planned flight, a very long wait at the counter in Toronto with only 1 employee to assist hordes of travellers angry and at loss, and to top it all, being told that the return flight was not guaranteed as a strike was and is looming early June. At least the employee of Sata promised the company would reimburse in full my ticket and promptly returned me at my point of origin. But I'm still waiting for that reimbursement and so does my travel agent!
RouteToronto to Ponta Delgada

"Flight entertainment zero"

Verified Review | Toronto to Lisbon RETURN, aboard old A330. Smooth Flight both ways. Crew took three hours to serve main meal. Breakfast a little bag of cookies. Flight entertainment zero. Only four old movies, one children's. Hard and uncomfortably seats. Some not reclining. Only one 23Kg suitcase allowed, extra you have to pay on an expansive flight priced ticket. Don't recommend.
RouteToronto to Lisbon