Top 100 Airlines

SATA International

"thank you to the crew "

Verified Review | I was a passenger on SATA flight # S4232 from Boston to Terceira on April 27th. Midflight, I started feeling very hot and nauseous. One of the flight attendant that passed by me noticed that I did not look good and asked me if I needed anything; that’s when I asked for a glass of water and she immediately came back with it. Few minutes went by and she returned to ask me if I was ok and if I needed anything else to let her know. At this point, I decided to get up and go to the bathroom and while I was waiting for my turn, I fainted. When I came back to my senses I was in business class with the cabin crew members surrounding me and providing water soft drinks and instructions on what I needed to do to recover. They also got a passenger nurse to check my vital signs to ensure they did not have to deviate the airplane to the nearest airport. Thank you to the crew members of SATA flight S4232 for your professionalism and wellbeing of your passengers!
RouteBOS to TER
Date FlownApril 2016

"don't recommend them at all"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Porto to Ponta Delgada with SATA Azores. Good choice if you like being insulted by the crew. The crew was very rude and didn't care much for the passengers, at one time, one of the crew members decided to remove my bag from the overhead bins and gave it to another passenger to hold it! I was stunned by this and was even more amazed when the crew member went away and left my belongings being hold by a complete stranger. I called for the attendent and asked why was a stranger holding my personal luggage and if he wasn't going to put it in the overhead compartments, the crew member did but put my bag no in it's orignal place but some seats up ahead, so I called him again and asked him why he had removed my bag from his original place and he said it was to put another passenger's bag. Then, came a female crew member who arrongantly sent him away, put my bag back where it bellonged and proceded to tell everyone on the plane that I was very angry because my bags where too far away. I couldn't believe how a crew could be so rude. If the company knew the plane was full, why didn't they asked people to check they luggage at the boarding gate so it was sent to the cargo bay and make boarding and seating easier. The crew wasn't by any means pleasant and seemed like they were doing us the favour of carrying us onboard. And the price wasn't that cheap! Very high indeed. Food was terrible, inflight entertainent was a joke and the flight was late. Don't recommend them at all.
RouteOPO to PDL
Date FlownApril 2016

"staff seemed quite disorganised"

(Portugal)

Flew SATA International from Lisbon to Boston. Aircraft quite old no personal TV screens. The food was very poor and very limited choice. We did not get a drink for one and half hours after boarding the plane. The staff seemed quite disorganised but were polite. I have flown with Air Transat across the pond and they seem a bit more organised and better food and aircraft.
RouteLIS to BOS
Date FlownMarch 2016

"friendly staff"

Overall, a very good experience with SATA International from Toronto to Madeira in poor weather conditions. Rapidly deteriorating weather (snow, ice and wind) delayed the departure from Toronto for about 3 hours. When conditions improved, and after a complete deicing, we were one of the first planes to leave. SATA automatically rebooked us for our missed connection in Ponta Delgada and we arrived at our final destination about 4 hours later than scheduled. Pretty good food and wine on board. Friendly staff from check in to arrival. There was a small luggage problem in PDL that was resolved brilliantly by SATA ground staff. Great price.
RouteYYZ to FNC via PDL
Date FlownDecember 2015

"this was not their problem"

Boston to Lisbon with SATA International, and we booked a package deal with SATA that included a car rental. One month after returning home, the car rental company charged us for repairs for damages that we did not incur. When I contacted SATA they were abrupt and told me that this was not their problem. Beware!
RouteBOS to LIS
Date FlownNovember 2015

"difficulties at the airport"

Toronto to Ponta Delgada. If you fly SATA (or any Portuguese airline) and have difficulties at the airport, ask for their "livro de reclamacoes" or complaint. All Portuguese businesses have these and pay heavy fines for complaints. I have done this several times and things change for the better very quickly. If they say they do not have one, it is a lie.
RouteYYZ to PDL
Date FlownJune 2015

"worst I have seen"

I feel very strongly about the service I did not receive with SATA, which from Boston to Ponta Delgada and back was the worst I have seen. The food was was equally bad. Our return flight was late, causing us to miss our connecting flight. We booked through a different airline and did not notify SATA about the connection. The ground crew told us that there was nothing she could do. She then proceeded to turn her back on us and walked away.
RouteBOS to PDL
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"disdain I have for SATA"

As I sit here in yet another airport, hundreds of dollars later and still trying to get home, I am struggling to find the words to adequately describe the disdain I have for SATA. My entire vacation (original flight and hotel) has now been cheaper than trying to get home from it due to SATA's incapability to maintain their flight schedules and communicate effectively with their customers. Departing from Boston, there were delays costing us to lose an entire day in Lisbon, instead of Terceira. On an inter-island flight to Sao Miguel, there were delays costing us several more hours of an already short day and a half trip. Returning home; however, was the straw that broke the camel's back. Unspecified delays cost me to miss both flights I needed to make to home. Because it was a SATA delay, and not a United (my retuning flight) issue, United wouldn't cover the costs of re-issuing my flight home, nor would they put me up in a hotel for the same reason. Several hundred dollars, 20,000 hotel points and a day later than expected, I am back in an airport, hopefully getting home later this morning. I will never recommend this airline, which is a shame because the Azores were a lovely place I would highly recommend people visit. If SATA is their only option for reasonable prices getting there, they would have better luck swimming across the ocean themselves.
RouteBoston to Terceira

"the worst lounge"

My complaint is about the SATA International lounge in Boston. It is the worst lounge and the most unfriendly and unhelpful people. Our flight was delayed, and I asked them when they were putting food out, because all they had out were crackers. They said they weren't putting any food out. I've been in lounges all over the world, and this lounge is the worst. Priority should not be associated with this lounge, it is very low budget.
RouteBoston to Ponta Delgada
Date FlownDecember 2015

"last time we will fly them "

This is the last time we will fly with them now there is a competitor on the route from London to Ponta Delgada flying all the year round, and 3 of us are flying now for the price of one seat on SATA. SATA continues to offer poor time keeping and cancellations, poor inflight service, no entertainment, basic food and bags delayed on a regular basis. After 18 years of having no choice - we are now off.
RouteLGW to PDL