SATA International

"cancelled 3 of the 10 flights"

Verified Review | Great flights, but my wife and I flew SATA from Boston to Terceira, Azores on April 26, 2017, seats 25F, G. The 4.5 hour trip was on time, leaving Boston about 10.20 pm. The plane was new, the seats comfortable — nicer than what we have recently had on trans-Atlantic flights, the dinner tasty (although served at midnight Boston time) and service excellent. The return trip was equally pleasant. We hope to use SATA for travel to Portugal (with a "free" stopover in the Azores on the way home) likely in the fall 2018. So, I give SATA high marks for comfort, service, food, and value. However, our flight from TER to BOS on May 4 was also cancelled, the plane, due to technical reasons, never left Lisbon. Some 200 of us sat at the airport waiting for the plane, every half hour or so there was an announcement that there would be another announcement later. Not until an enterprising would-be traveler tracked down an airline rep did we get meaningful information. Eventually the flight was cancelled and SATA arranged good quality lodging, local transportation, and meals: excellent dinner, good breakfast, and lunch. We were rescheduled to return to Boston, returning some 26 hours late. So, in our 10 days of experience with SATA they cancelled 3 of the 10 flights from TER to BOS. The two flights we were on, however, were excellent. Further negotiation: pursuant EU regulation (EC 261/2004) I requested 600 euros each for me and my wife as compensation for the cancellation. SATA began a negotiation: first, offering me two 50 % off vouchers (I would though pay the tax) for travel in the next year. I responded requesting the total of 1200 euro; SATA countered with an offer of two 75 % off vouchers (I pay the tax) good for two years. I asked for the 1200 euros; SATA again countered, suggesting this would be their final offer, with two 100 % off vouchers (I pay the tax) good for one year. It is my dwindling hope to reach an agreement with SATA without involving the EU.
RouteBoston to Terceira
Date FlownMay 2017

"experience was simply horrible"

Verified Review | Toronto to Ponta Delgado. I want to concur with the other review on this airline published May 23rd. My experience on May 21st was simply horrible. I had to cancel my flight with Sata and ask for reimbursement. That's sad as I was really looking forward to visit the Azores. But the company decided to cancel the flight from Toronto to PDG and postpone it to the 22nd. I got no help upon arrival in Toronto, no forewarning at my point of departure (in Montreal) by anyone associated with the company, no instructions in Toronto, a tentative rebooking of seat that did no comply with the original request on planned flight, a very long wait at the counter in Toronto with only 1 employee to assist hordes of travellers angry and at loss, and to top it all, being told that the return flight was not guaranteed as a strike was and is looming early June. At least the employee of Sata promised the company would reimburse in full my ticket and promptly returned me at my point of origin. But I'm still waiting for that reimbursement and so does my travel agent!
RouteToronto to Ponta Delgada

"Flight entertainment zero"

Verified Review | Toronto to Lisbon RETURN, aboard old A330. Smooth Flight both ways. Crew took three hours to serve main meal. Breakfast a little bag of cookies. Flight entertainment zero. Only four old movies, one children's. Hard and uncomfortably seats. Some not reclining. Only one 23Kg suitcase allowed, extra you have to pay on an expansive flight priced ticket. Don't recommend.
RouteToronto to Lisbon

"I will fly them again"

Verified Review | Boston to Lisbon. I enjoyed my whole experience flying on Azores Airlines. It was a great experience from beginning to end. It was a value for my ticket, the boarding process was great the inflight staff were fantastic. Airport staff great. I will fly them again!
RouteBoston to Lisbon
Date FlownMay 2017

"crew was friendly and efficient"

(Portugal)

Verified Review | Ponta Delgada to Porto with SATA International. As usual it was very complicated to book with this airline, specially where it concerns to carrying my pet as this airline as no concept that pets and respective owners need to travel together and that when I make my reservation I need to know weather or not my pet will be able to travel with me. The staff at the airport counter was very nice and friendly when I was paying for my pet. Boarding was fast and simple and the plane departed with just a small delay. We did arrive on time though. The airplane was a very old but well kept Airbus A310, with the usual amount of space but far less pitch than on newer A320, with the new seats. The airplane was tidy and clean. No entertainment system, except for some very old CRT monitors displaying some adverts and some short movies, with no sound at all, not acceptable for a flagship airliner. No wifi was available. The crew was friendly and efficient. Food was decent, with a sandwich, a dessert, some drink and coffee or tea, but the bread was a bit dry and stale. The amount of permitted checked in luggage is very good for this price.
RoutePonta Delgada to Porto
Date FlownApril 2017

"great value way to travel"

Verified Review | Funchal to Toronto via Ponta Delgada. I continue to have favourable experiences on this airline. First leg from Funchal, Madeira to Ponta Delgada was on a Q400. Easy check in, friendly cabin crew, good cockpit announcements and the star of the show was the great sandwich snack served on a 2 hour flight. The next leg to Toronto was on an older Airbus. Food was OK at best, generous beverage service, friendly cabin crew and on time arrival. It was an older plane but had seat back entertainment. This is a great value way to travel to Madeira.
AircraftQ400
RouteFunchal to Toronto via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownApril 2017

"Thanks for nothing SATA"

Verified Review | Toronto to Lisbon via Ponta Delgada. Our departure flight was cancelled and we did not leave Toronto until more than 24hrs after our scheduled depature and to make things worse we were not notified of the cancellation or delay until we waited in the check-in line at the airport. So now we've lost a day of our vacation we then learn that there is not assigned seating because the airline is using another airlines seating so passengers are quite unhappy. The new flight left Toronto late, stopped in Ponta Delgada before arriving in Lisbon. We get to baggage claims only to learn that my luggage was missing even though it was checked in with my husband's luggage, and his luggage arrived. I reported my lost luggage to lost and found and was given a care package that had a one day supply of toothpaste and deodorant, socks and a t-shirt and a promise that I would be contacted once they found my luggage. I called the airline daily to find out when I would receive my luggage and was told it would be delivered to the Airbnb where we were staying. We spent 3 days in Lisbon, Portugal and my luggage was never found. On the last day I contacted the airline to say we were leaving the following day to Barcelona and I was told my luggage would be delivered to where we were staying at in Barcelona. Well that didn't happen either. One agent told me my luggage was found in Ponta Delgada and the following day I was told my luggage was still in Toronto and they would bring it to my Airbnb in Barcelona because it wouldn't arrive in Lisbon before we left. I have called and emailed Sata International in hopes of retrieving my luggage. After numerous phone calls and several unanswered emails to Sata International I am still unable to retrieve my luggage. I arrived at Barcelona airport and asked the Sata International rep that checked me in and she said she has nothing to do with lost luggage just check-ins and her tone was very rude and belittling. I made my way through the airport, frustrated that I could find someone to guide me to Sata international's lost and found luggage area. When I finally found it, it was closed and had a sign in Spanish on the door (not helpful to people who don't speak spanish). I ended up finding an information desk and was told that I would have to exit through arrivals and go back through the security checks to get back to my departure gate and then contact the airline when I arrive in Canada to ask that my luggage be delivered to my home. This is the worst treatment I have ever experienced by an airline in my more than 30 years of flying. I will never fly Sata International again. Being in a foreign country with no luggage for you entire vacation, not speaking the language and having to use your spending money on clothes to wear is not a pleasant experience. My vacation is over and I still do not have my luggage or information as to when I can expect to get it. Thanks for nothing SATA International, thanks for nothing!
RouteToronto to Lisbon via Ponta Delgada
Date FlownApril 2017

"flight's luggage did not arrive"

Verified Review | We travelled on Flight S4301 from Lisbon to Toronto on Feb 10th. Firstly, the entertainment system did not work on our flight to Lisbon on Jan 7th and still was not working on Feb 10th flight. Most importantly we never check baggage when flying: however SAT Azores limits cabin baggage to 8kg so we reluctantly checked two small bags weighing approx 10 kg each. Arriving in Toronto the whole flight's luggage did not arrive on carousel 9 for 1.5 hrs. Other flights landed after us and had baggage on carousels before they got thru customs e.g. Georgetown, Port of Spain, Miami and Reykjavik. 1.5 hrs to get luggage is totally unacceptable - no one can leave for a connecting flight without taking luggage thru customs. This caused undue stress and frustration for the whole flight.
AircraftAirbus 330
RouteLisbon to Toronto
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"Inept baggage handling"

(Portugal)

Boston to Terceira. Inept baggage handling. I flew into Boston on Delta. I picked up my bag after the flight and hand carried it to the international terminal and checked it in at the ticket counter. The agent tagged my bag, gave me the barcode (attached to my boarding pass) and I was happy. Next day I arrived in the Azores but my bag didn't. Where was it. SATA had no idea. Five days later I receive a phone call from Delta at Boston. They have my bag and want to know what to do with it. I called SATA to tell them. After 9 phone calls (placed on hold then dropped) and several emails (none answered) I called the SATA desk at Boston and explained my frustration. The agent, very polite, said "I'll send someone over to pick it up... it's there, I've checked, and it will be on the flight tonight." Nice... it didn't happen. I called Delta again, they still had it. As of now, 7 days later, still no bag, still no help from SATA. The Delta agent is now trying to route the bag on TAP, through London and Lisbon so I can get it before I have to return to the US. SATA is the only game in town for direct flights from the Azores to Boston. If they had competition they would be out of business.
RouteBOS to TER
Date FlownDecember 2016

"worst airline travelled with"

Toronto to Ponta Delgada. Paid for seats in 1st row of plane due to my husband having a knee replacement surgery not long before our trip, worst seats on the plane, people crawling on top of us to use washroom since they were told that they could not go across in the business class section, constant line-up to use toilet which was right beside the seats, disgusting. Contacted airlines and received this response: "Please accept our most sincere apologies for the delay in sending our answer. We inform that, at the time you purchased your preseat, a fee was paid in order to guarantee the service. At this moment regular seating reservation is not subject to the payment of a fee, however, should you want special comfort seats these are still paid. We apologize for the inconvenience but, since you travelled in the seats reserved, we cannot refund any amount. Additionally we inform that we have forwarded your comments to all departments involved so that they are aware of your dissatisfaction and so that any changes may be implemented in order to improve our services and conditions onboard our aircrafts." This is the worst airline we had ever travelled with, we ended up sitting in the back of the plane on some of their broken down seats just to get away from the traffic and washroom in the first row. Shocked at how they treat their customers, will never fly with this airline again.
RouteYYZ to PDL