Top 100 Airports

Royal Jordanian Airlines

"choose between three different meals"

(Austria)

Verified Review | We were doing Umrah and were flying from Vienna to Jeddah via Amman and from Medina via Amman back to Vienna. The Airbus offered 32" legspace in economy class which was very comfortable and the In-seat personal TV offered a huge entertainment programm. Food was delicious and you could choose between three different meals.
AircraftA320/321 / Boeing 787
RouteVIE to JED via AMM
Date FlownJuly 2016

"#1 worst of the worst experiences"

Verified Review | Basra to London via Amman with Royal Jordanian Airlines. In 35 years of frequent travel, my most recent trip (and first experience with RJ) becomes my #1 worst of the worst experiences. 6-Jul-16 06:30 hrs (scheduled departure 08:45 hrs) - we went to check in at RJ counter in Basra and they advised us (8 of us from several different companies), that we were booked on 8-Jul. - After first saying our travel agents made the change, they finally admitted RJ made the change the night before, with no notice to our respective travel agents - then said no seats available, then said only economy, finally at 09:30 hrs (flight was delayed for 1 hr) they booked us on our original seats! - why, because of the delay, we would miss our onward connections to London, and they would rather us stay for 2 more days in Basra than try to get us home! - flight departs +/- 09:45 hrs and arrives Amman about 11:50 hrs - in Ammam, we are unable to make our 12:00 hrs connection, RJ did not hold the plane and they refused to consider any other options than to rebook flights to 1 day later. 7-Jul-16 scheduled departure of 12:00 hrs is announced to be delayed to 12:30 hrs. We board the plane and wait until 13:15hrs for passengers arriving from a delayed flight - finally depart about 13:30 hrs local time, arrive LHR and disembark at 16:45 hrs local time. I run to my next connection and get to the BA gate at 16:55 hrs, just as boarding is announced for a 17:15 hrs departure, only to be told by BA that the boarding pass I was issued in Amman was no longer valid, and that RJ had transferred the ticket to Air Canada departing at 10:10 hrs 8-Jul-16. BA unable to get access to the ticket, so unable allow me to board the flight - RJ did not advise me nor had anyone meet me at the gate to advise me that a change was made. - I run back to the Terminal 3 RJ airline transit desk only to be greeted with a 'closed' sign - BA desk was able to phone RJ and I was instructed to go through immigration and meet a representative at Zone F for my hotel and onward flight booking - because RJ couldn't be bothered to greet me at the arrival gate, and it took me some time to track them down, I had missed the next connecting AC flights at 18:00 hrs and 18:40 hrs (via Calgary) RJ was a complete cluster job from the moment we first tried checking in at Basra, with no customer service, and no sense of passenger ownership, I now sit in a transit hotel at Heathrow, and a 22 hr journey has turned into 60+ hr journey.
RouteBSR to LHR via AMMA
Date FlownJuly 2016

"the crew shines"

Flew Royal Jordanian Airlines, 2 May, Amman - Chicago on RJ263 - Crown Class in 787. Dedicated check-in area for Crown Class passengers which is really nice. Completely separated from the main check-in area with personalized service for a quick check-in and baggage check. Also - they have an immigration point after check-in that is exclusive to Crown class so it's very fast. The lounge upstairs is very nice - great food selection and drinks. Boarding was delayed a bit but that is typical in the middle east. Friendly welcome and shown to our seats. Given a welcome drink and menus for the flight. Smooth take-off and served a nice lunch course by course. I love that - makes me feel like the old days of flying. And you can get as much as you want. In-flight entertainment isn't the best - that is where RJ can approve - but was ok in between naps. The crew shines - taking pictures of me and my travel partner, asking about how we enjoyed the flight. Landed on-time and just took a bit of time to get our bags- but overall excellent flight. Always have enjoyed my Royal Jordanian flights
RouteAMM to ORD
Date FlownMay 2016

"no smile, no greeting"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Flew from Kuala Lumpur to Amman with Royal Jordanian Airlines. No smile, no greeting, no acknowledgement from the flight crew upon boarding. Earphones were thrown to the passenger, literally if they were asleep, other airlines would have the courtesy to at least stuff it in the seat pocket. The flight crew had limited English command? Phrases like "What you want", "seat up", "NO" in harsh tones is just unacceptable. During distribution of meals, food was given to us without asking what options we wanted, my partner does not eat beef and a beef tray was just left and the staff member simply moved on. During the 9 hour flight I did not see staff complete a water run through the Y cabin. All these little gestures go a long way for passengers that are trapped especially in the middle seat.
RouteKUL to AMM
Date FlownJune 2016

"very comfortable lay-flat seats"

April 20, Chicago O'Hare to Tel Aviv via Amman (RJ264) in Crown Class with Royal Jordanian Airlines. Check-in was friendly and bags tagged to TLV. Lounge access is the Air France/KLM lounge which had plenty of food and drinks. Boarding was typical for middle east flights - a mess. Turkish Airlines 773 next to us in a small boarding area so passengers were getting confused which line to get in. There were maybe 20 people in wheelchairs that boarded first after a 30 minute delay. Then Crown class and frequent fliers. Greeted at the aircraft door and walked to our seats - very comfortable lay-flat seats that would end up being perfect for the 11.5 hour flight. Welcomed by flight attendants with water/juice, headphones, menu and amenity kits. Smooth take off and service began promptly. Meals served from a cart so it really makes you feel special and like the old days of flying. You can have as much food as you want, served with a smile. AVOD was ok - this is where RJ disappoints. Not a lot of selection for movies or TV shows. If they add to this the product will be flawless. Lay-flat bed allowed for 6 hours of sleep which was great. Nice pre-arrival meal served and survey forms passed out. Our main attendant helped my mom learn some Arabic and was so friendly - taking pics for us together. Landed 30 minutes late but had 3.5 hours to connect. Transit is easy at AMM and we were in the Crown Lounge in minutes. Lots of food and drinks in the lounge - and then see the TLV flight is late. Boarded from a bus an hour late to the A320 plane. Economy full but Crown had 5 passengers and 1 RJ security man. Drinks served on the ground but nothing from take off to landing. It was a 27 minute flight so not a big deal. Landed and bags off in 30 minutes. Overall a great flight - delays seem common on RJ but would fly them as my choice to the middle east.
RouteORD to TLV via AMM
Date FlownApril 2016

"cigarette behind cockpit door"

(Jordan)

Verified Review | As a frequent traveller in the Middle East I have the privilege to enjoy various Gulf carriers, which in most cases offer amazing service and safety experiences. Living in Amman I often have no other choice but to fly with Royal Jordanian. An experience that I mostly regret because of the unacceptable inflight smoking practices. I have very little else to remark about Royal Jordanian which I consider a reliable and responsible carrier, other than the smoking practices. As a non-smoker I am particular sensitive to the unpleasant smell of cigarettes. Even worse when I am trapped on an RJ flight, like in my most recent flight experience RJ610, 17/04/2016 from Amman to Dubai. It is sad that passengers are advised by law to adhere to the strictly enforced non smoking rules - except the ignorance of the flight deck, where officers allow themselves to rise above international regulations. Fact is that smoking is not permitted in the cabin and lavatories. If I discount the presence of an unknown smoking passenger hidden in an overhead compartment, the only two remaining options are: an air freshener with distinct cigarette scent or a quick cigarette behind the cockpit door? I would love to know what the Airline Regulations and Standard Operating Procedures regarding smoking at the Cockpit are?
RouteAMM to DXB
Date FlownApril 2016

"attentive and very polite"

Flew Royal Jordanian Airlines from Amman to Hong Kong via Bangkok. Hardware: The seats are lie-flat that is the same model found on United's 787 and 767 BusinessFirst in a 2-2-2 layout. They are upholstered in beige colored leather. A plush pillow and duvet were provided on each seat and a Black "Aigner" branded amenity kit was given out to each passenger along with printed menus. The IFE is touch-screen with hi-def screens but average offering of international movies/TV programs. Software: The first segment from AMM to BKK were staffed by Jordanian crew, the crew proactively go around the cabin and greeted each passengers by name, they were very attentive and very polite. Upon boarding, the crew offered each passenger a small cup of Arabic Coffee as a pre-departure drink. BKK to HKG was staffed by Thai crew led by a Jordanian purser. The crew on this leg does not appear they want to be there at all. During meal service, I was told that my first choice of meal (Curry) was not available despite there were only six passengers in the business class cabin of which one was the flight engineer, one was the security guard, two were travel agents traveling on industry discounted tickets and I was one of only two who were fare paying passengers. Instead of offering the meal choices to the fare paying passengers first, the crew decided that the flight engineer and security guard were more important as they were served the curry. Asked to speak to the purser and he gave me an excuse that the meal choices were first come first serve. Apparently seat 1A was not close enough for the crew to ask first. I was also told by the purser that oneworld Emerald status does not mean anything to their airline and that he does not care if passengers bring their businesses elsewhere. Very surly and arrogant way to speak to a frequent flyer passenger traveling in premium cabin. Also no apology whatsoever was given for the 45 minutes delay in arrival. Information from the flight deck was very limited.
RouteAMM to HKG via BKK

"compensated with friendliness"

I booked this flight from Frankfurt to Bangkok via Amman return for its suitable departure time in Bangkok but mainly for its competitive price. For a budget airline, it was fine. Yes, there were delays. Yes the check-in took a long time. And yes the flight attendants were not so professional and smooth as with more upmarket airlines. But they compensated this with friendliness. The A320 was old, somewhat worn-out, but empty. The 787 was new but full. The fellow travelers matched the budget price point but were not too annoying. Since I was not expecting very much from the on-board meals, they were fine.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 787
RouteFRA to BKK via AMM
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"not very proactive on drinks"

Normally fly Qatar Airways but took advantage of the recent Royal Jordanian Airlines sub-£1k fares in business class to Bangkok out of London – so my review is using QR as a benchmark / reference. Overall, my first experience of RJ was of a good 3 star airline. Excellent new business class class seats on 787 across all 4 legs – seat 1D is a good choice as this seems to have greater foot-well space compared to the others which looked a bit tight. Food was decent but felt throughout all flights that cabin crew while pleasant enough were not very proactive on drinks, coffee etc. In fact the male crew just seemed to leave all the work to the female crew who seemed rather over-worked. Also 2 of the 3 pilots on the final leg from AMM-LHR spent most of the flight occupied in the lie-flat seats while leaving the control to a FO. Never seen this happen before and struck me as quite strange. AVOD was quite limited but very easy to navigate. Would use RJ again and one of the their key selling points at this price-point is their One World alliance membership.
RouteLHR to BKK via AMM
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"A321 and not Boeing 787"

London Heathrow to Khartoum via Amman with Royal Jordanian. A321 and not Boeing 787 as advertised. Left Heathrow a bit late but arrived in Amman nearly on time. Cabin crew were efficient, plane was clean, and food was satisfactory. Flight was not full. A319 for onward flight to Khartoum-an older plane but on time. Again crew efficient and another reasonable meal was served. Inflight entertainment was basic. Return flight from Khartoum to Amman left on time, but only after security checks both in the airport and on the aircraft. RJ has warned that security checks have been modified. Flight to Amman an old but clean A319. Cabin crew were efficient but did not deal with screaming children who seem to run up an down the plane at will. Amman to London again no sign of the advertised 787 but another A321. Flights on time. Three hot choices for the meal and food was good. Overall a good trip. Khartoum airport is a nightmare - allow plenty of time - it has few facilities.
AircraftA321 / A319