Vote Airport

Royal Jordanian Airlines

"with pleasant staff"

We ended up flying Royal Jordanian from London to Hong Kong via Amman because we were travelling at Christmas time, when flights are expensive, and they had the cheapest seats we could find. I regularly travel on British Airways, and the RJ staff were equal or better than BA. The food was fine, but you don't travel economy and expect gourmet food. I think my only major issue with RJ is that on long flights such as the ones we took, it wouldn't kill them to give out free alcoholic drinks. Our tickets were well over £500 each, and a couple of glasses of wine surely wouldn't have broken the bank! Fortunately I read that they charged for drinks before leaving, so I bought a bottle of wine for the flight in duty free at Heathrow - make sure you get one with a screw top! The flights were all slightly late leaving, but not by much - we were late leaving Heathrow and Hong Kong due to airport congestion. The planes were fine, the A330 fairly new I think and the 787 very new, and feels spacious inside, with a seemingly taller ceiling. Flying to Hong Kong via Amman made it a long journey, about 18 hours going and over 24 coming home, due to a 6 hour stop in Amman, but there are many worse airports to spend a few hours in than Amman - try Addis Ababa or Nairobi. Amman airport is modern, spacious, airy and clean with has good loo's etc. There are several bars and cafe's, McDonalds etc and good (and cheap) duty free shops. Royal Jordanian isn't going to set your world on fire, but it is a good airline with pleasant staff and modern aircraft, operating through their hub in Amman, which is not such a bad place to spend a few hours if you have a stopover there.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 787
RouteLHR to HKG via AMM
Date FlownDecember 2015

"dread our return flight"

Bangkok to Tel-Aviv via Amman, and our flight with Royal Jordanian was among the worst we ever had. The crew was non-existent most of the time and when approached, less than accommodating. The food trays were distributed during the first half hour of the flight, then the crew disappeared until two hours before landing, when another food tray was given. If one required a glass of water (over a 9.5 hours flight!) we had to approach the crew in the screened-off galley and request one. No stewardesses passing by offering a drink or any other refreshments except for the very poor meals. The seats were cramped and uncomfortable, with pieces falling off and no leg-room, an ancient, unmodernised entertainment system. The only plus was that the flight arrived on time. It was a great relief stepping off the plane. I dread our return flight in a week's time.
RouteBKK to TLV via AMM

"seats were comfortable"

(Jordan)

Flew Royal Jordanian Airlines from Amman to Paris return. Airport staff at Amman efficient and polite, while at Paris airport was disorganized. The airplane was clean and was modern (appreciated the onboard entertainment) and the seats were comfortable. Food tasted delicious for economy class on both legs and they offered 3 main course options. Cabin crew friendly and helpful. My complaints are that before landing the toilet was dirty and required cleaning, and the ticket price is high.
AircraftA319 / A320
RouteAMM to CDG
Date FlownSeptember 2015

"flights on time"

Amsterdam to Bangkok via Amman with Royal Jordanian Airlines, and all 4 planes I took were pretty new with inflight entertainment and not bad leg room. Checked in online, all flights on time. The food was standard airline quality. I am rating this as 5 out of 5, basically because it is what you should expect from an airline.
RouteAMS to BKK via AMM

"would never recommend"

(Qatar)

Doha to Beirut via Amman with Royal Jordanian. I would never recommend this airline. Our flight was delayed in Qatar, and that made us miss our connecting flight from Amman to Beirut. Once we reached Amman Airport the front desk staff told us that we will have to wait for 6 hours in order to connect with the available flight. When we started telling them that this is not an option since we have babies with us, they were very rude, and told us to go decide what we want to do then come back to them. What is worse is that the connection flight was delayed another time for another hour. So we ended up waiting for over 7 hours in the airport with our children. I would understand that problems may happen with flights, but the rudeness I experienced with the Royal Jordanian staff was the worst ever. Moreover, they had no control over their flight details, since it was showing on the screen that boarding started and no one was their to check the passports and tickets of the passengers. It was even showing last call on the screen, and still no one from the staff showed up.
RouteDOH to BEY via AMM
Date FlownDecember 2015

"never fly Royal Jordanian"

London to Bangkok via Amman. Unreliable, uncaring and unfair! No room at the Inn at Christmas for Royal Jordanian passengers who are left stranded at a full hotel after RJ cancel their onward flight, then RJ staff leave passengers to fend for themselves. The problems began when there were been 4 minor changes to my flight times over the past few months. The last change happened the day before I flew when they cancelled my 3.00am Boeing 787 flight from AMM to BKK and put me on an A330 9.30 flight to BKK on 17th December. When arriving in Amman airport, there were no staff to meet anyone to tell them what to do. We had to wait an hour before we were all bussed to the hotel at 1 am in the morning. The bus was overcrowded and had people standing in the aisles which is a safety hazard. The coach dropped the load of people off at the hotel who were unprepared, understaffed and unhelpful. It took a further 90 minutes sort out the mess and to check some people into a room, but there were not rooms for most of the passengers as the hotel was full. At around 2.30 in the morning, with no one from RJ any where around, I left to come back to the airport and slept on an airport bench. In the morning I wanted a shower in the RJ lounge. But they were extremely poor in the crown lounge at Amman airport. The sink hadn’t been cleaned, the shower door didn’t close, therefore water went everywhere and you can’t get the soap out of the dispenser because the door won’t close. Also the toilet seat was broken and you have to pay $15 for the privilege. It took nearly 2 weeks for RJ to respond to my complaint email, with a ‘sorry, but there’s nothing we can do, but we hope you fly with us again. What a joke of customer service. Dreadful airline, they change and cancel flight, treat passengers badly and then don’t even do anything when you complain. Never fly Royal Jordanian. There are plenty of choices, don’t risk it!
RouteLHR to BKK via AMM

"staff absolutely useless"

Medina to London via Amman. Royal Jordanian Airline is the worst airline I have ever used. The staff - as we walked in to the plane we were told you can sit wherever you would like, this meant that giving us designated seats was completely useless as people were searching for new seats because other people had taken their own. But the most shocking part was when the plane had decided to take off when they had not even allocated a couple and their 7 month old baby seats yet who were still standing in the isle. After getting off at Amman, the staff were even more disorganised - we landed at 1.45am and waited for transfer until 6am in the morning, to be taken to a hotel for only 2 hours and then bought back to the airport for our flight at 12pm. When we asked staff why it takes so long to sort out transfer, the airline had said it was the driver taking too long or we didn't have our transit forms completed. Every country I have been to before make people fill in these forms on the plane, and we weren't even given these forms till the end of the 5 hours. The Royal Jordanian Airlines staff both on and off the plane are absolutely useless.
RouteMED to LHR via AMM

"can pre-book your seat"

Heathrow to Bangkok return via Amman on Royal Jordanian. Three sectors out of 4 were on a Boeing 787, very comfortable and good TV screen - Ifound plenty of watchable films. The final sector was on an A330, which seemed outdated compared to the 787 but was standard compared to other airlines. The food was adequate but be aware if you order Alcohol you will be charged for it - soft drinks are free. Transit in Amman is a joke, very chaotic and very rude Security Staff, I had goods confiscated from me, (which are not prohibited) - when I questioned them they became rude and aggressive. I am sure the goods were then shared out between them as a bonus! Check-in staff at LHR were very good, at Bangkok they were rude. As said many of the Cabin crew are surly and non smiling but some are. Whenever I pressed the call button for a drink etc they always came and I did not have to wait. My only criticism of Ground and Cabin crew (excl LHR) is that during the boarding of flights they do not board by Seat row, it gets very chaotic and the Cabin crew do not act to make the process smoother. On my Amman-LHR flight, many passengers were walking around the cabin asking other passengers to swap seats - this lead to a delay. You can pre-book your seat on RJ website in advance, so do that to ensure your party sit together. To pre-book just go to Manage booking - enter your reference number and enter few bits of extra info and then you can to it. I would have no hesitation in flying Royal Jordanian again.
AircraftBoeing 787 /A330
RouteLHR to BKK via AMM

"found them excellent"

I was nervous about flying Royal Jordanian based on previous review but found them excellent. I flew from Abu Dhabi to Amman on an A320 aircraft - it was half empty in business and the service was very warm and friendly. Old style recliner seat was comfortable. A few days later I flew from Amman to Heathrow in Boeing 787 and it was excellent. The crew was excellent and food was outstanding - served on a large tray in a buffet style at your seat, and very tasty. Champagne and wine excellent and the seat was nice and lie flat. View is excellent with the larger windows. I wasn't watching the in flight PTV but it needed to be reset maybe 5 times - would have been annoying if I was watching. I may have been very lucky, but wouldn't hesitate to fly them again.
AircraftA320 / Boeing 787
RouteAUH to LHR via AMM

"avoid Royal Jordanian"

(Brazil)

Do a favor to yourself by avoiding Royal Jordanian Airlines. I flew them from Amman to Larnaca and was supposed to return and then fly to Zurich. Bad idea. Service sloppy and cold, staff look tired and overloaded with work, on board they served a cheap cheese sandwich with orange juice, for the price they charge they should do a little better. Cabin crew sloppy and uninterested. The plane needs an urgent refurbishment, on the way back they cancelled my flight and refused to book me with another carrier, I was so lucky my tickets were issued with mileage and I could change it to another airlines by phone. Never again.
AircraftE175