Porter Airlines

"the flight was cancelled"

Verified Review | Toronto to Ottawa. Delays and cancellations. This airline used to be very good when it first started out. On-time and reasonably priced. There is not a single time I have flown with them over the last three months if the plane has left on time, and during the last 2 flights, including today, the flight was cancelled and I was put on another flight - first 2 hours later, and today, 10 hours later. This is for a flight that lasts 50 minutes in the air. Porter has almost on the hour flights to Ottawa, but they put me on a flight that is 10 hours away and ruined my plans. In addition, the call centre takes on average 40 minutes to talk to someone, all the while hearing "your call is important to us". The seats are shabby and frayed, aircraft is dirty, airport staff are sullen. The only good thing is that their snacks are good - hardly a reason to fly with them.
RouteToronto to Ottawa
Date FlownJuly 2017

"will never travel them again"

Verified Review | Porter is the worst airline I have ever flown with and will never travel with them again. My flight was cancelled and rescheduled for the next day. My rebooked connection was delayed three times. Ultimately, I arrived at my destination 24 hours late. The worst part was the customer service. Gate agents would tell us one thing and the people in line behind us another. Employees had no training and did not know what to do to accommodate customers. My original flight was two months ago and I have had zero response from customer service and no follow through on the vouchers that were promised to us at the gate. I need a simple piece of paper that state that the flight was indeed cancelled, and the reason, so that I can submit it to my travel insurance. Customer service cannot even be bothered to send this documentation. So I am about to lose out on my insurance coverage because their customer service just doesn't exist.
RouteWashington to Halifax
Date FlownJuly 2017

"customer service was terrible"

Verified Review | Do not use Porter Airlines. The flight itself was fine. Pretty smooth for the type of planes. My flight was delayed since the day before. It was delayed 2 additional times while waiting at Toronto and still did not leave in a timely manner and there as no weather or otherwise justifiable issue. Customer service on the phone was terrible even when I spoke to a supervisor. Save yourself! Don't do it! I read poor reviews and still gave it a chance.
RouteToronto to Montreal
Date FlownAugust 2017

"does not use text messaging"

Verified Review | Flight cancelled 4 hours prior, without any reason given. Weather is sunny and clear both in Toronto and Timmins. Online check in requests cell number to reach passengers for important messages. Text message re: cancelled flight not received - never sent. Upon questioning customer service at Porter (on hold for 63 minutes), Porter does not use text messaging for important information, only email! Always check your email, never assume that Porter will text you critical information, such as flight cancellations. According to customer service: we communicate by email. My call to customer service ended in being disconected by a supervisor after repeatedly questioning why the flight was cancelled. Bottom line, don't rely on Porter airlines for reliable scheduled flights, and if you do, check your email, not your texts to see if the flight has been cancelled for no apparent reason. Air Canada is my next scheduled flight.
RouteToronto to Timmins
Date FlownAugust 2017

"cancelled with 1 hours notice"

Verified Review | My flight from Sudbury to Toronto today was cancelled with 1 hours notice. I picked a mid day flight expecting that I would be re-booked on the later flight if there was a problem. Well as I feared my flight was canceled, but I was automatically re-booked on a flight tomorrow instead of later today. I have a hotel reservation in Toronto tonight and an early appointment. I can't get through on the phone to Porter. Been on hold for hours and disconnected once already. Avoid this terrible airline that can't even answer their phones.
RouteSudbury to Toronto

"avoid this airline"

Verified Review | Montreal to Windsor via Toronto. Extremely long delays both from Windsor to Montreal on July 29th and from Montreal to Windsor on August 12th. We chose to fly as opposed to driving to Montreal to be fresh and full of energy during a scout camp. However, on July 29th, instead of landing in Montreal at 4pm, we landed after 8pm, and didn't get to our camp until 10pm, at which time it was too late to set up our camping area and we had to sleep on the ground under the sky. On a way back, our flight was delayed again 4 hours. All in all, over 8 hours spent at the airport, hungry, with nothing to do. And we paid a lot of money to travel comfortably - ironically, friends who decided to drive got to the camp and back to Windsor ahead of us. Please avoid this airline at all cost. Terrible service and no respect for passengers! They should be giving us a refund!
RouteMontreal to Windsor via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"not worth whatever discount"

Verified Review | Sudbury to Chicago via Toronto. Booked a weekend trip to Chicago - outbound flight cancelled Friday evening due to weather. Flew out the next morning, but ended up stuck in Toronto for over 7 hours waiting for a connection to Chicago (would have been faster to just drive there!!). Almost every flight that day was significantly delayed and it seemed like half were cancelled for no apparent reason. We arrived in Chicago 24 hours after the scheduled arrival, which essentially cut our vacation time in half. It seems that random cancellations and extensive delays at Billy Bishop are pretty much guaranteed when you fly with this airline. Avoid at all costs, not worth whatever discount you think you are getting.
RouteSudbury to Chicago via Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"step up and face their problems"

Verified Review | Halifax to Toronto. I started flying Porter Airlines this time last year, they were a perfect solution to the many trips I've taken to and from Canada. However, my last experiences have been nightmarish. My girlfriend and I started our trip at Billy Bishop Airport (YTZ) in Toronto, our flight was scheduled to leave at 5:45 on a Friday. We arrived at the airport around 4:00 to an extremely crowded check-in counter and mile long security line. The line was serving no function as customer service representatives were pulling people out of the line based on their flight number. Not to mention, the flight updates were coming simultaneously with the scheduled times of departure. We waited about an hour in check in, where we gave up and brought our supposed checked luggage back to our apartment. At that time we found our flight was delayed further. Long story short this process delayed us around 5 hrs from the time we were supposed to fly until we found out part of the leg of our trip from Montreal to Halifax was cancelled around 11pm. We gave up and went home. We ended up rebooking with Westjet - and flying out the following night. Coming to the end of our trip. We were scheduled to fly again with Porter from Halifax - a stopover in Montreal - and to arrive to Toronto. Our flight was set to leave at 7:30 pm from Halifax, it was delayed before we got in. Then we boarded around 8 pm, then deplaned due to mechanical failures in the bathroom. This delay put us back another hour. At that point a porter representative explained to us that since we delayed our flight so long. Billy Bishop would be unable to accommodate us due to their curfew. So our options were Pearson or Hamilton. Which was just a bold face lie, when we got in the air they told us Pearson Crews were on strike and we were headed to Hamilton where a shuttle would bring us home. I'm usually not one to complain, but this airline has been totally oblivious to the basic needs of their customers. As we landed in Hamilton, an automated voice came over the intercom with a pre-recorded message. Then the stewardess pulled out a binder to read a standardized apology on behalf of the airline. Saying "we're sorry, we have arranged a shuttle, there will be no refunds" - "we hope you have enjoyed flying porter". At some point this company has to step up and face their problems head on, and take some responsibility for the service that they value providing.
RouteHalifax to Toronto
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Worst customer service "

Verified Review | Newark to Toronto. On my arrival in Newark I was told the flight was cancelled due to rain in Toronto and they had rebooked me on another flight 2 days later - 2 days later? I say how's that possible? They said nothing could be done at counter that I needed to call. So I called and waited on the phone for 3 hrs to have someone pick up and hang up on me. Called again and waited 2 hrs to have to same thing happened to me. I called a 3rdtime and waited 2 hrs and still no answers by that time I gave up and went to bed. Worst customer service I've ever experienced
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"the lack of communication"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Toronto to Boston. Flight delayed at 30 minute intervals, no announcement on what has caused the delay. No indication of whether the flight will actually depart. The service levels are amongst the worst I have ever seen from an airline. This airline cannot be recommended simply due to the lack of communication and indifference to customers.
RouteToronto to Boston