Porter Airlines

"the opposite of helpful"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Washington. Speaking to customer service agents was the opposite of helpful. I was told by three agents regarding a delayed flight: “The aircraft is unsafe to fly today.” - “They are fixing your aircraft” - “There is bad weather” - “Your flight hasn’t arrived because of mechanical issues at its origin” - “It is too cold to fly right now” The agents at the service desk were rude, short and had no knowledge of anything happening. Every 10 minutes I received a delay update and each time I inquired why, there was a new and unrelated excuse.
RouteToronto to Washington
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"taken off the flight"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Boston. I will never fly with this company again. We were supposed to be leaving at 5:15 pm and didn't leave until 9 pm. When we arrived in Toronto to get our connecting flight we were promised we would be able to make, but we missed it because we were "taken off the flight". Everyone told us different information and no one was sympathetic.
RouteToronto to Boston
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"missed our family dinner"

Trip Verified | Toronto to Halifax. The 4th time flying with them in a row where the flight is 1-3 hours late. This time we missed our family dinner (it’s sunny and clean in both places). When you write them they never answer back and staff at their desk get mad at you when you ask politely why it’s late. It used to be great I don’t know what happened.
RouteToronto to Halifax
Date FlownAugust 2017

"onboard service was impeccable"

Trip Verified | Toronto City to Quebec City. My experience with Porter Airlines was exceptional. The trip out of City Airport was easy, convenient and fast. The Porter check in staff were courteous, efficient and answered my questions. The waiting lounge Porter uses was quiet and comfortable. Our flight left sharp on time and onboard service was impeccable. Overall it felt like flying the old fashion, elegant civilized way.
AircraftQ-400
RouteToronto to Quebec City

"last time with Porter"

Trip Verified | Definitely last time I fly with Porter! My flight to Ottawa was late by 1-hour. Then flying back to Toronto they cancelled my flight (almost an hour before). I had to pry information out of the service agents. They weren't very helpful. But I was lucky enough to get on standby and make it home the same day I was meant to fly out.
RouteToronto to Ottawa
Date FlownNovember 2017

"they denied to pay anything"

Trip Verified | Porter Airlines delayed my return flight from Toronto to Timmins on November 9, and it was a disaster ultimately diverting to Hamilton (which they failed to tell everyone until boarded and door was locked so we were trapped and not headed to our destination). Beware, they do this on late flights I've come to learn. The flight did not post a delay but did not board and no announcement was made prior to the scheduled departure time of 5:45pm. At 5:52pm I received an e-mail notification of a delay to 6:15pm. Shortly after that, the ground staff announced the delay and said it was a short delay “due to scheduled maintenance” (which made no sense as I assume you do all scheduled maintenance at your hub in Toronto or the GTA). At 6:03pm I again received an e-mail notification of a delay to 9:20pm. There were no updates provided every 30 minutes per their ”Delayed, Diverted and Cancelled Flights” policy. At 7:43pm I again received an e-mail notification of a delay to 9:35pm. There was no further information provided in respect of what was happening during all of this, which we later found out Porter was flying up another plane and the one we were supposed to fly on had been taken out of service). At 8:25pm I received an e-mail notification of a delay to 9:45pm. This made it 4 hours, which according to their ”Delayed, Diverted and Cancelled Flights” policy meant passengers should be provided with a meal voucher – This did not happen. At 9:52pm I again received an e-mail notification of a delay to 10:00pm, at 10:23pm I again received an e-mail notification of a delay to 10:20pm. Eventually, the flight boards and there was no warning about what was to occur next. Once everyone was on board and the plane door closed the Captain came over the PA system and said that we would not be going to Toronto but rather to Hamilton, Ontario (over an hour away by car) – there was no other detail provided. I asked the Flight Attendant what this meant and she said that we would fly into Hamilton and then a shuttle bus would take us to the Royal York hotel (not to the Island Airport to be able to get my car – which you could not get off the island given the delay). Several passengers demanded to get off the plane – this meant a further delay, by now it was approximately 10:30pm. I asked if I could fly out the next day and was told I could, so I decided to get off the plane. When I got to the counter inside the terminal at Timmins the agent said that the morning flight had been cancelled, again another fact not shared prior to my decision to disembark. They also told me the midday flight around noon was full on November 10th and I could not get on that flight, leaving the only option the 5:45pm flight the next day. I was told Porter would not provide a hotel in the circumstances but I could make a claim, which I did and they denied to pay anything other than $8.00 for a meal. I had meetings in Toronto on November 10th so I had to fly out in the morning, that left my only option to purchase a one-way ticket with Air Canada on a 5:20am flight (cost $392.42 CAD), plus meant additional expense to transit from Pearson Int’l back to the Island to retrieve my vehicle.
RouteTimmins to Toronto
Date FlownNovember 2017

"choose another airline in the future"

Verified Review | Super delayed flight from Sault Ste. Marie to Toronto. Captain couldn’t speak clearly with blurred English. I feel very unsure about why I chose Porter Airlines. So many others on this flight missed connections to other flights due to waiting times. I would definitely choose another airline in the future.
RouteSault Ste. Marie to Toronto
Date FlownNovember 2017

"book with a more reliable airline"

Verified Review | I will never fly Porter again. I thought I would try their airline because they fly into Bishop in Toronto rather than Pearson, which is closer to downtown. Their fares were also a little cheaper than Westjet and Air Canada. However, it turned out to not be worth it whatsoever. My original flight was delayed for hours, then finally after continuous delays, they cancelled it altogether because Billy Bishop does not allow planes to land late in the night. They rebooked me for a flight the next day, which I couldn’t take because I would have missed the event I was flying for in the first place. I requested a full refund, and they said they would process it, and over 14 weeks later I have not gotten any money from Porter. I have called them multiple times, and each time the wait is over 30 minutes on hold to be told that my refund is processing. The next time I had to fly to Toronto, I took Westjet. Even though one of my Westjet flights was cancelled, they gave me a place to stay for the night and provided transit to the hotel. Porter absolutely refuses to reimburse you for any travel costs, even though I went back and forth from Newark with no flight. Do yourself a favor and book with a more reliable airline, especially if you have something important to do.
RouteNewark to Toronto
Date FlownJuly 2017

"I was pleasantly surprised"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Return flight from Washington Dulles - Toronto City Airport. I was a bit worried about flying on Porter after reading all the negative reviews but I was pleasantly surprised. Almost everything worked well, flights left on time, inflight service was good and seating was good considering I am a large guy. The only drawback was that on the return leg, the waiting lounge in Toronto City Airport was busy making seating a bit of a problem. Also, the ground service for wheelchairs on arrival into YTZ was a bit haphazard and poorly organised with staff palming off their responsibilities to each other. There was free coffee and snacks in their lounge and on the aircraft. In fact, they were serving wine and beer for a one hour flight. Based on my experience, it was a quick and painless experience.
RouteWashington Dulles to Toronto City Airport
Date FlownOctober 2017

"still posting on time departure"

Verified Review | Toronto to Montreal. Any flight can be late but Porter still posting on time departure 45 minutes before flight leaving more than 75 minutes late. "Wait in lounge" long after late posted departure time. Little information from staff - "waiting for crew but guessing when they might arrive". Dirty and old plane.
RouteToronto to Montreal