Jetstar Airways

"a tight squeeze on long haul flights"

Trip Verified | JQ 62, B787-8, 10th April 2018 (7 hrs 45 mins). I arrived about two hours before my flight and the check in process took about 50 min to complete. The immigration and security screening process took about 20 mins despite the airport being relatively busy. The Duty free shops in Ho Chi Minh airport offer competitive prices for spirits and other duty free items when compared with Australian airports. There are a limited selection of snacks and drinks by the departure gates, however they are 2-4 times the price when compared with a convenience store in the city. The flight started boarding about 40 mins before departure and the aircraft left the gate on time. I was seated in an aisle seat 34G, the Jetstar seats are charcoal leather and are relatively comfortable, however the seat pitch is only 30 inches which makes it a tight squeeze on long haul flights. Jetstar had a credit card only policy on this flight for all on-board purchases which can be problematic for those passengers without a credit card. There was good selection of new release movies, V shows and games on the IFE ($10 onboard or $9 pre booked). There are a few free TV shows available however these were predominantly short 15-20 mins fishing programs from the Top End. There were a reasonable range of snacks, hot food and sandwiches available from the on board menu although priced relatively high. It would be nice to see Vietnamese Beer (Saigon/Hanoi brands) on the beverage menu to add to Jetstars limited selection of beers on-board. The crew on the flight were friendly and helpful and dealt with some minor issues that occurred on the flight adeptly. The flight offered great views over the Australian Outback around Alice Springs, Broken Hill about 1hr+ before landing in Sydney. The flight arrived a few minutes early into Sydney, however we had to wait on the apron while an aircraft was pushed back from our assigned gate.
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Sydney
Date FlownApril 2018

"charge you $60 if carryon is over"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Brisbane. Worse airline! Cheap for a reason. Bad customer service, they just treat you like a number. They change flights, charge you $60 if your carryon bag is over by just a little bit, they make you walk to the plane from the gate even when if it's raining bad, they just do whatever they want! And their planes are small and uncomfortable
RouteMelbourne to Brisbane
Date FlownApril 2018

"will never use Jetstar again"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Bali. Its cheaper to go with an airline that offers luggage and meal for a family. They charge an arm and a leg for luggage but the problem is You have to purchase luggage both ways if you have purchased a return ticket. I purchased a return flight from Melbourne to Bali, on departure I added on luggage 25kgs thinking this will also be added on my return? No it didn't, you have to pay extra for luggage on return "how ridiculous is that" because its a family off 5 i had to purchase 5x luggage going to bali and then 5x luggage returning home from bali. Do the math its cheaper to fly with another airline that offers all. After my flights I'm still being charged for inflight meals the problem is I can't speak to any humans about these false charges that jetstar is taking out from my credit card, you have to email back and forth to get your complaint heard or dealt with. My return flights was in March 2018 it is now the end of April and jetstar is charging my credit card for inflight meals even though it was paid in full at the time off my flights. I'm still waiting for my refund and hope Jetstar will erase my credit card details off there system. The food was horrible but because i had 3 kids i had no choice but to purchase meals. I will never use Jetstar again that was the first and last.
RouteMelbourne to Bali
Date FlownMarch 2018

"not a good airline at the best of times"

Trip Verified | Jetstar Max Bundle is a complete rip off and simply awful! Much better to fly economy on a premium carrier like Thai Airways instead for around the same price. Jetstar is not a good airline at the best of times. I wouldn't fly Jetstar, but when I need extra baggage allowance (40 kg's as I sometimes have to travel with a lot of technical equipment for work) it has been a good option in the past. But Jetstar gets worse and worse as an airline year after year. I got the Max Bundle as I thought it would make the flight more comfortable and would reduce the cost of adding 40kg's anyhow. Neither was true. I did not get my upfront seat selection! The upfront area of the aircraft for max bundle is behind a whole section of economy class seats that weren't even available as an up front option with the max bundle. So the whole upfront seat selection is a lie. What else do you get with the Max bundle. One really small bad 'meal'. Apparently a voucher to use on another Jetstar flight if you cancel. I didn't need to, but I can imagine the process is at least as awful as the rest of the booking process. What you don't get with the Max Bundle: A blanket or anything to make the flight more comfortable. Inflight entertainment. All that costs a lot more. You also don't get the seat you book. It also took 45 minutes for the luggage to arrive at the carousel from this Jetstar flight. Conclusion: Don't buy the max bundle on Jetstar, fly economy on a premium carrier like Thai for approximately the same price.
RouteBangkok to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2018

"must be scratching for revenue"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to Melbourne. Jetstar must be scratching for revenue - the plane was approx 3/4 full but they weighed everyones hand luggage. I was caught when checking bag in I had even upgraded from carry on to 15 kg - it turns out i could have taken some in my carry-on. They dont even give you any over, then hit me $ 15 per kg. I get being strict when plane is full but it was no where near capacity. I was 2.5 kg over.
RouteAdelaide to Melbourne

"penny-pinching method"

Trip Verified | Brisbane to Melbourne. After having previously tried to ensure that my baggage met the requirements and was within the size allowed for carry on luggage, I proceed straight through check-in not believing my carry on to be problematic. However, at the gate the airline staff weigh your baggage to ensure you meet the 7 kg weight requirement. I would understand this policy for excessively sized pieces, however, my bag came in at 8 kg and as a result of this occurring at the gate was forced to pay $60 for this bag that was 1 kg over the weight limit. This is clearly a penny-pinching method. Had the fee been appropriate for the additional weight carried I'd have had no problem. However, by this point I'd paid just as much as a Virgin or Qantas flight where this sort of penny-pinching isn't experienced. I don't recommend this airline as they clearly don't care about customer experience or service. In future I'd rather fly Tiger airways than Jetstar.
RouteBrisbane to Melbourne
Date FlownApril 2018

"I enjoyed the 787 aircraft"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Phuket. Check in (after my flight with domestic Jetstar Melb to Syd) was fine and surprisingly quick. The flight also left and arrived on time and I enjoyed the 787 aircraft. The staff were very helpful and polite as well , The international food that can be purchased has deteriorated on Jetstar. The food (2 minute noodles and a very average chicken parmigiana) was nothing to get excited about even for economy food. Air Asia was much better. IFE entertainment was very limited as well. There was a very restricted choice of movies and music. I wasn't even able to access the music . When I mentioned this to one of the staff he said he'd check. I heard nothing more. I was also annoyed that Jetstar constantly changed the flight schedules. Not easy when one has limited time . I was lucky my boss was reasonable and allowed me to change my vacation times. But again I did appreciate the staff, the 787, easy check in and punctuality.
RouteSydney to Phuket
Date FlownMarch 2018

"staff were very helpful and friendly"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Sydney. Overall an enjoyable flight. Check in was no problem and the plane left on time I enjoyed the ham and cheese toastie that I prepaid. The staff were very helpful and friendly as well. There was no IFE which was no problem for such a short flight.
RouteMelbourne to Sydney
Date FlownMarch 2018

"cancelled because there was no pilot"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | My flight from New Plymouth to Auckland was cancelled because there was no pilot. I missed my connecting flight and had to pay over $600 to get another ticket to go to Australia which in fact I had already paid. All I got from Jetstar was a sorry. Shame on you Jetstar. Get your act together or better still reimburse people when they have proof they missed connecting flights, or pay for those flights, even better.
RouteNew Plymouth to Auckland
Date FlownApril 2018

"enforce more on baggage policies"

Trip Verified | Auckland to Christchurch. Check in, boarding and bag-wait took way too long - so inefficient. Really should have enforced more on baggage policies as people brought too many bags. Pre-flight conditions weren't even checked: my seatmate had tray table down while the plane took off.The stewardess didn't even care. Take off & landing were really smooth. A320 was really old, and interior cabin smell gave people headache. Tray tables weren't cleaned properly. Toilet was clean though.
RouteAuckland to Christchurch