Jetstar Airways

"become worse each year"

Trip Verified | Don’t waste your money and time. Jetstar has increasingly become worse each year. We have had four flights cancelled. You end up paying more for accomodation when your flight is cancelled - once after a 12 hour wait, they wanted to send us back home! We had to argue to get a cheap, dirty accomodation organised near the airport. The next time another flight was cancelled and we were offered accomodation and we said, “NO”. Never trust where they put you. While waiting around at the airport you also spend so much money for food and lose your precious holiday time. Better to spend a little more and secure your holiday and business travels with other reliable airlines. The worst is the staff and clearly their lack of quality training. They have no desire to help you out, inform you promptly and show a compassionate attitude during cancellations. They are slow as turtles on land and couldn’t care less about customer care. We have had three flights cancelled due to engineering issues. Their aircrafts are unreliable and the engineers unable to deliver speedy and quality repairs. How can they have so many issues so often?? I feel scared to get on their planes. We will never fly with Jetstar again. Not only are the prices cheap - all other aspects of Jetstar is cheap. Don’t waste your money and time.
RouteSydney to Tokyo via Gold Coast
Date FlownJuly 2018

"seat was unbelievably tight"

Trip Verified | Adelaide to Perth on the 14th of June with Jetstar Airways. Flew on a relatively new Airbus A320, when compared to some of the older ones in the fleet. Although I was seated close to the front (8D), the seat was unbelievably tight in terms of seat pitch, which is okay for shorter flights like Melbourne/Sydney, but for a longer flight I’d try and buy an exit row seat next time! Crew were okay, but nothing to write home about. The customer service manager wasn’t overly pleasant when she informed me of my $15 voucher (as I’d purchased a Starter Plus fare). I had purchased this fare for the bargain basement price of $99 (plus $45 for the starter plus bundle), so I can’t complain too much. It was good value for what I’d paid, but there are better airlines around for only a few quid more.
RouteAdelaide to Perth

"a wonderful flight"

Trip Verified | BNE-PPP on the 21st of June. Due to an early check-in, I was treated to an upfront seat (2C) instead of the original 9D I was given. Ground staff in Brisbane were wonderful, and the all-male crew onboard this mid-afternoon flight to Proserpine were terrific! It certainly got my Whitsunday holiday off to a terrific start! Overall, a wonderful flight at a good price! I’ve noticed that on shorter hops, Jetstar is much better, but on longer flights (over 2 hours), it’s better to upgrade to an exit row seat, or fly another airline.
RouteBrisbane to Proserpine

"tremendously inconvenient"

Trip Verified | Hobart to Melbourne. Two flights, two issues. First, flight from Hobart to Melbourne cancelled, no notification, no reason given for cancellation. All of my contact info was correct and I was on a local phone system (received texts and email from other people). Next flight was three and a half hours later (it took off much later than that). I asked to be put on another flight as I had a meeting in Melbourne at 5. Jetstar refused because they had a later flight. Offered refund, but I had to eat all the fees, so the full refund was about 60%. booked on a Virgin flight for $200 more, but got there. Second, a policy issue. Flying from Cairns to Hobart via Melbourne. Jetstar will NOT check baggage through. Had to retrieve bags in Melbourne re-check them (and go through security, wait at check-in counter all over again). When I asked an employee why we could not check through he said that they were such a budget airline that they refused to pay for someone to sort the bags as they come out of the plane. He was completely embarrassed by this policy. From a customer standpoint it is tremendously inconvenient. I will never fly with Jetstar again!
RouteHobart to Melbourne
Date FlownJuly 2018

"very good flight with Jetstar"

Trip Verified | Very good flight with Jetstar. Plane was a bit messy though. Food was great, really good cheap travel food on Jetstar. Cabin crew were great and very helpful. Jetstar is the best cheap travel airline by far. Way better then Tigerair or anything like that. At Gold Coast airport it was self check in and bag drop. Although there were a couple of Jetstar people walking around not really doing much. One again, very good flight with Jetstar, but as always, room for improvement!
RouteGold Coast to Melbourne
Date FlownJuly 2018

"best cheap travel airline"

Trip Verified | Melbourne (Tullamarine) to Gold Coast (Coolangatta). Very good flight with Jetstar. By far the best cheap travel airline I’ve ever been on. Not really any help at Melbourne. Self check in and the odd couple of Jetstar people walking around. We checked in online so we just bag dropped our bags. A bit of a wait at boarding but I guess that’s cheap travel for you. Me and my family had starter plus so $30 (Australian money) on food, drink ect. Legroom a bit little but it was a short flight to be fair. No TVs on the domestic flights but if you fly international with Jetstar you’ll have TVs. Again, very good flight with Jetstar.
RouteMelbourne to Gold Coast

"service is unacceptable"

Not Verified | Melbourne to Newcastle. My 8pm flight was cancelled without providing sufficient explanation. They refused to give me a flight the following morning. I had to fly into Sydney airport 2.5 hours drive away. This level of service is unacceptable.
RouteMelbourne to Newcastle
Date FlownApril 2018

"given a different meal"

Trip Verified | Paid for the package including hold baggage, a meal on the flight and the pre-selected seats. We selected the meal online but on the flight we were given a different meal and told "This is the meal you selected, all passengers with that package get the same meal". I didn't even try the provided sandwich. I knew I wouldn't like it and it looked terrible. Another in our party tried it and said it was awful. Also tried to upgrade baggage beforehand but the site wouldn't accept either of my bank cards. I believe it was because I was on mobile but they told me their site works on mobile and it was a problem with my card. Two cards failed to work and one notifies me if the payment is declined so I know there was no problem on my side. Luckily, I left the option on as unpaid so wasn't charged extra at the airport. They didn't tell me this was an option while I was on the live chat with them though. An on the subject of the live chat, anything typed into the box, even if you don't press send, is sent to the agent. They only record messages which are "sent" which can mean accidental pastes are sent (perhaps a password for example?) and they have no record that their employee received it. Also, if you want a copy of everything said in the chat, you have to speak to a different team. This is basic functionality available in most live chat services. I contacted them with a complaint. The first response was just excuses and the offer of a voucher which can only be used by me and expires in 6 months. I live in the UK so completely useless. I contacted them again and they said they had forward some of my comments on to the development team around the live chat but nothing was said about the meal or voucher. The only positive things I can think of is the we made it to our destination and the ground staff at Sydney were helpful.
RouteSydney to Queenstown
Date FlownMay 2018

"a few unoccupied seats"

Trip Verified | Darwin to Sydney. Jetstar does not have self service kiosks in operation at Darwin Airport, however online check in is available up to 1 hr before departure. Check in for domestic flights opens 2 hrs prior to departure and closes 30 mins prior to departure. The flight boarded about 15 mins prior to departure, there were a few unoccupied seats towards the rear of the aircraft and some passengers managed to get three seats to themselves. Prior to take off the captain gave a quick description of the route and the expected weather in Sydney. A quick food and beverage service was offered just after take off, the cabin lights were dimmed shortly after the service finished. The flying time to Sydney was 3 hrs 55 mins.The flight was smooth and most people managed to get some sleep. The flight went into a holding pattern just North of Sydney to wait for the 6am curfew to be lifted at Sydney Airport.
RouteDarwin to Sydney

"friendly and attentive"

Trip Verified | A320-200 Sydney to Darwin.Boarding commenced 25 mins prior to departure and left on time. Information on the flight was provided by the cabin supervisor. Shortly after take off food and beverage for purchase was offered throughout the cabin, snacks were offered - $5 Soft Drinks $4 & Beer starts at $8. The leather seats are comfortable but have a limited seat pitch.The crew were friendly and attentive and dealt with customer requests efficiently.There is no wifi or ports to charge devices on the aircraft which can be frustrating on the longer domestic flights over 3hrs. The flight arrived a few minutes ahead of schedule.
RouteSydney to Darwin