Finnair

"mostly ups, a few downs"

Verified Review | I didn't even plan on flying with Finnair, it was destiny who put me on this flight. Or rather, it was a spontaneous cancellation of my actual flight which I had with KLM - one day before departure. But this review is about Finnair, that other story will be told another day. So I got put on the Finnair route from Berlin Tegel via Helsinki Vantaa to Kansai International at 2.30am in the morning, about 11 hours before departure. I woke up with this new flight on my phone and thought to myself "Sure, why not? Finnair is supposed to be pretty nice". The trip from Tegel to Helsinki was nice, but nothing spectacular. A typical intra-european flight on a better-than-budget airline. Okay legroom, drink and a snack on a 2-hour-flight - the typical treatment for Economy Class. In Helsinki, I had a 90-minute-layover which will become important again later in the story. At that time, everything was fine though. Nice airport and more than enough time for me to transfer to the intercontinental flight to Kansai International. The plane on the long haul fight appeared very modern and very clean. The crew was very courteous and left no wishes open (economy class wishes, that is). The legroom was one of the few things that left some room for improvement (more than for legs) - on a very similar-distance flight with Lufthansa it was designed more generously. The entertainment offer included several recent movies as well as a number of more classic ones - less than on other intercontinental flights with different carriers but quite enough for the 10 hours of the trip. I never quite got all the run-down jokes on airplane food - most of the times I had it it was pretty decent, even very tasty on several occasions (esp. when flying with Korean carriers). Finnair made me understand the humour behind it to a degree. Out of two meal choices, only one was left when I was served - the macaroni casserole. It was dry, unseasoned and rater disappointing. Maybe that's why the other meal option ran out so fast. Sitting in the back of the plane, I had no choice but to swallow what was left. In fairness, the other components of the meal and the breakfast meal were tasty! The flight itself was very smooth and when putting everything together, I had an experience on the plane that I am definitely keen on repeating. When leaving the plane at Kansai International, I thought for a moment that I am the lucky recipient of special VIP treatment. An information board with my name on it greeted me right after entering the airport building. Unfortunately, the only thing it said was "Please refer to the baggage desk for further information". This is where the 90-minute-layover from Helsinki comes back into the story. While 90 minutes is enough time for a human to transfer from one plane to the other, baggage sometimes is not as quick. This was the case, as the lady at the counter informed me. I was left without clothes, electronics and cosmetics on the first day of my trip. Also, I hadn't slept for about 22 hours. However, the bureaucratic process of sending my baggage straight to the hotel went smooth and fast and Japanese efficiency showed its beautiful face. One day later, my backpack was delivered to the hotel. The refunding process for the clothes and cosmetics that I bought as replacements went fast and without problems. To sum up, my experience with Finnair had mostly ups and a few downs. Looking back, I wouldn't hesitate to travel with them again. Recommend.
RouteBerlin to Kansai via Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"a rather average Business Class product"

Verified Review | Flew Finnair Business for the first time on 12/9/17 from Singapore to Helsinki. Return from Vilnius to Singapore on 4/10/17. All 4 flights were on time, crew did their jobs, not outstandingly but also no complaints. But the reverse herringbone 1-2-1 seats were narrow, hard and pillows too soft for any neck support. Hence, sleep quality is not good. Movie range was a little too limited, more so for Chinese movies. Food was fine, but very average for Business class. Worse is, on our return leg from Helsinki to Singapore on 4/10, our pre-ordered main course of Reindeer meat did not materialise because of a breakdown in communication - what a shame on Finnair! Counter staff at Vilnius Airport was also very rude. Wondered why Finnair would allow a sulky faced and rude woman to be in charged of checking in their Business Class passengers in Vilnius? Lounges in Sinapore are Qantas and Dnata, with both providing good food but Qantas being much more spacious. Lounges in Helsinki are fine, too, though with a poorer food selection than the lounges in Singapore. The lounge at gate 50 has more shower cubicles though. Overall, a rather average Business Class product. Would only fly Finnair again if their prices are on Promo and/or offer better connectivity in Europe.
RouteSingapore to Bergen via Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2017

"been very stressful to me"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Bangkok to Manchester via Helsinki. I was issued a voucher last year due to a terrible seat given in business class the year before. As the time for the voucher came up to use I tried to use it. Yet it could not be used without a activation code. The only way you can communicate with this airline is via messenger and then they respond without reading the facts and sometimes it takes days. I was given the wrong information from inadequate staff who had no idea how to solve the questions. I still haven't used it and had to use alternative airlines to return on my journey. This boarding pass I paid as I couldnt find out how to use the voucher. I took up my complaint on the return. As nobody would pass on my comments to their customer service department. Again no email to contact just fill an online form. I was told it would take 2 months for a response. Eventually we start again and they refuse to reissue the voucher which has now expired. I tried to share the full dialogue I had had with all staff but they would not give me an email to do so. In the end you have to accept their offer which comes by email - but you cannot respond. They extended for one more month and yet still nobody will give me the activation code? Disgraceful service. This has been very stressful to me as I was trying to get back early to the UK Due to my father being sick. I have several family members who will verify this facade. So now I get an extension to use this pathetic compensation of 200 Euros which is an insult anyway. Yet I still have no activation code to use and nobody will respond again!
RouteBangkok to Manchester via Helsinki
Date FlownJune 2017

"Cabin crew mediocre"

(Finland)

Verified Review | London to Helsinki. Flight on time. Cabin clean. Cabin crew mediocre. Some flight attendants friendly, some unfriendly. Complimentary blueberry juice and coffee. Greek pasta salad awful and expensive. They need to improve good they are selling with high prices. Not recommend Finnair intra-European flights.
RouteLondon to Helsinki
Date FlownAugust 2017

"now the shame of Finland"

(Finland)

Verified Review | Helsinki to London. Flight delayed 2h 20min because there was some original aircraft and we flew finally with plane which original destination was Singapore and there was too much fuel for London. Rude gate agent said "sorry about delay" and we got during boarding juice and biscuits. A350 looking nice but there were in the cabin lot of broken parts fixed with tape. Maybe too cheap materials. Cabin crew mostly friendly. Free blueberry juice, water, coffee and tea. Pre ordered omelette very small and not very tasty. Not worth 13€. Captains announcements was not very informative. Because delay we missed the train in London and didn't see Liverpool game we had tickets. Sometimes happens but we feel that Finnair is not really sorry. Their way handle situations like this is very unprofessional. Avoid Finnair. Once quality airline is now the shame of Finland.
RouteHelsinki to London

Finnair customer review

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Flew Stockholm to San Francisco via Helsinki. This flight was ok. On time, and fairly comfortable - in so much as coach class is ever comfortable. But, the food was unbelievably bad. It was inedible. I was on an 11 hour flight from Helsinki to San Francisco. Two hot meals were served, they were so bad, both of them, that none of the people in the surrounding seats could even think about eating the food. It was mushy brown meat substance with mushy green substance and vast amounts of salt. I fly over 150,000 miles a year. I eat a lot of airplane food, and while none of it is good, these Finnair meals were like Siberian Prison food or something. If you fly Finnair, bring lunch.
RouteStockholm to San Francisco via Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"good seats with decent pitch"

Verified Review | Finnair flights to Tallinn via Helsinki. Both legs on time, good seats with decent pitch. Nice warm dinner and free flow of any drinks were served on the first leg, second leg with a chocolate bite and no drinks. My ordered special meal was not on board, but the alternative was good. Service best comparable to the one you get with KLM.
AircraftA321 and E190
RouteZurich to Tallinn via Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Very disappointed in this company"

(Belgium)

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Seoul via Helsinki. Took out two new powerbanks without any warning. Put a letter in my suitcase with a contact form. After contacting they say if I want my items back I should pick them up in Helsinki within 30 days, otherwise they will be stocked away. No other solutions offered. Very disappointed in this company.
RouteAmsterdam to Seoul via Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"pray your flight is not cancelled"

Verified Review | Helsinki to Singapore via Zurich. This review is mostly on the latest cancellation experience I had with Finnair, which I sent them emails repeatedly on this for 3 weeks however yet to receive a reply (not even a reply to say that my request is being processed/ investigated). So my flight from Helsinki to Singapore was cancelled and I was re-routed with Finnair and Singapore Airlines via Zurich. For the cancellation experience, the ground crew did not inform us on the cancelation until 2 hours after the planned departure time. The ground staff did not provide us information on the new booking arranged for the passengers. We were sent to an airport hotel and I had to call the airline hotline where I only knew about my new booking around 4 am (after calling repeatedly and being put on hold), to only get 1.5 hour sleep before my next flight. The airline also did not honour the confirmed business upgrade on the previous and I was returned back to Economy (this was a big issue since I had neck pain issues and I didn't bring my neck pillow). As for the HEL-ZRH Finnair, the seat pitch was good. The airline provided basic F&B. There was no inflight entertainment or WiFi. Cabin crew service was good but not extra ordinary. I would recommend the flight, however just pray that your flight is not cancelled. I was treated better on LH, SQ and TK during cancellations/ delays; where they were more professional than AY.
RouteHelsinki to Zurich
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"I used vouchers to upgrade"

Verified Review | Singapore to Helsinki. I have flown Finnair since I worked with a Finnish company since 2009. I have maintained the platinum member for 3 years in a row. I used upgrade vouchers to upgrade for this flight, the platinum membership of Finnair provides such vouchers. The seat was comfortable, able to recline to 180 degrees. The cabin staff are almost all Asian and provides Asian hospitality. There are four types of meals to choose on business. There is enough space to put a (small) laptop, iPad on the compartment on the side of seat. Slippers and basic amenities are provided. The blanket was warm but covers only half of the body. Inflight entertainment has 3-4 new movies however don't even bother looking at the TV series - all are quite old (I gave them feedback on this yet never been updated; the family guy series for example has been the same series for 3 months in a row) Wifi is provided throughout the flight for platinum members and is quite stable, however not stable or strong enough to download/ watch netflix movies on laptop/ iPad. However for the price of the flights and the upgrade voucher its worth the value.
RouteSingapore to Helsinki