Finnair

"lost my luggage"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Helsinki. Finnair cancelled the flight and lost my luggage before I even left the airport. This may happen although it is very upsetting. What is not acceptable is the that the luggage had not left the airport and they lost it, no trace of it. They had no information about where my luggage was and were not helpful over the phone. It took them 2 weeks to locate my luggage, and when I asked for compensation, I sent a form and got no answer. Moreover, the airline's customer desk has no telephone number; I have been trying for weeks to understand what compensation I can expect, how much I can receive for my extra costs due to the cancelled flight and lost luggage, but they make themselves unavailable. The answer time for an email is 2-4 weeks, but 3 weeks have gone now and no answer yet. Just an errand number that I can use to file more complaints. It shows that the airline is not prepared when they have issues, or maybe they have so many problems that they do not want a passenger to call them and ask for instructions regarding what to do.
RouteStockholm to Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2017

"service onboard was good"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Bangkok via Helsinki and my flights to and from BKK were delayed. The service onboard was good but the customer service at the customer care center is non existent. You have to contact them several times before they answer back. Upon my arrival at the airport to check in I received a message that my flight was delayed. No one informed me about my rights according to the EU's legislation. Glad that I knew about it. I contacted Finnair regarding this but they made it very difficult to find the right form to fill in. Unlike for example British Airways where you can find the form easily and they compensate you within a few days. My flight was delayed on Dec 21 and all I got from Finnair is "I'm going to investigate to find out what happened and will get back to you." I know what happened, all I want is my compensation that I am entitled to. Also, I got to the airport in HEL to catch my flight but I ended up standing in line for an hour because the passport controls were not open. In the end I only had 10 minutes left before boarding and I did not get to use the lounge at HEL. Like I said, the service onboard was good. The flat bed on A330 was nice and I managed to get a good sleep. Business class cabin was not too crowded which was good. Finnair provides wifi service onboard that costs about €20 for the entire flight unless you are a Finnair plus gold card holder, then it's free. The internet was very slow so on the way back I just used my 1-hour complimentary wifi because I just thought it was not worth paying for. The IFE is ok, not so many good movies to choose from. The selection of music you could choose from was strange, well, it's not for everyone.
AircraftA330-30o
RouteHelsinki to Bangkok
Date FlownDecember 2017

"service way below standards"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Miami to Vienna via Helsinki in February 20917. MIA-HEL in on an A330-300 (wet leased from IB) connecting to HEL-VIE on an A320 (which this time was actually operated by AY). In MIA, AY uses the F-gates - which means if you are arriving from a connecting Oneworld flight (e.g. AA), you have to get completely out of the secure area, walk through terminals D and E to get to terminal F and go through security again (TSA was friendly and fast). In addition, AY uses pay per entry Club America as its lounge, which is a depressing and dismal facility, e.g. bar closes at 9 pm (i.e. two hours before scheduled departure), food nonexistent - the poorest lounge for an intercontinental flight I have encountered for a while, even the domestic AAdmirals Club at DFW was better. The lounge closed at 9.30 pm, again scheduled (!) departure time of the flight was 10.55 pm. Really, what is AY thinking. Also no separate WIFI access and the generic airport WIFI was not working, either. Later, when it worked it was limited to 30 minutes. Whole experience at MIA was not worthy of a Oneworld carrier. When boarding, AY did not accept boarding passes issued by AA, you had to exchange them for ones issued by AY. This again was a first time leading to additional time to be spent in line to have them exchanged. While U.S. based carriers never accept boarding passes issued by a foreign carrier, European airlines normally do. So much for seamless Oneworld integration. Finally, boarded an A-330-300 which was wet leased from IB (now this makes 5 out of the last 6 flights I booked with AY that were sold to me as a flight to be operated by AY, but later outsourced to another company). However, IB is at least a decent airline; three of the flights were outsourced to low cost carriers. Seats were lie-flat a 1-2-1 configuration; good and comfortable. Onboard, service was way below standards. No wine card available. The white wines offered was a French one, which I (or the cabin crew) was not familiar with and an unusual choice of a Riesling from New Zealand, which turned out be actually decent. Even basics such as sparkling water were not available. The cod from the menu turned out to be a much too dry piece of salmon; with a starter was that was salmon as well. The meal was just about edible, but far from being good and nowhere comparable to the meal out of HEL. IB FA's were attentive but limited by what AY gave them to work with. Early arrival in HEL and disembarkation by bus (no gate position). This did not happen to me, that an intercontinental flight did not have a gate arrival at a major airport, since i stopped flying via FRA, where this happens quite regularly. During the flight I talked to the single AY flight attendant on board and she told me that the reason for all this outsourcing was a severe and structural shortage of pilots to cover the scheduled routes, so this situation will likely continue. AY even used dismal Hi-Fly on some North American routes. I am sorry to say this, as AY was for long one of my favorite choices for travel to Asia and the Nordics, but they seem to have completely lost it. I do not think I will use them for a while. Maybe things will eventually better again. Definitely avoid the MIA route. Otherwise, transfer in HEL was easy and fast and AY's Schengen lounge was tremendously busy, but with good food offerings (e.g. tasty Finnish game stew) and decent wine. HEL-VIE was a regular European service with economy seats in C (middle seat left unsold).
AircraftA330-300 / A320
RouteMiami to Vienna via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"I cannot recommend Finnair"

(Austria)

Trip Verified | Vienna to Miami via Helsinki back in January 2017. Used check-in desk at airport, where only two counters were available. Very slow moving line, but not too many people in line, so waiting time was acceptable. Finnair use a shared lounge in VIE, which is sort of OK, not great and in line with the other lounges at VIE; also the lounge is situated before security. Boarding was efficient and service on board was friendly, attentive with nice Finnish hospitality. Cabin crew was present in the cabin through the flighte. Food served was good without being great (beef with mash and cooked vegetables; no other choice available) and drinks nice. Overall a very good flight. Economy Recaro seats with a 3-3 layout with the middle seat left unsold. Seat pitch was good. Early arrival into HEL. Transfer in HEL was a pleasure (10 minutes gate to lounge incl. passport control). Finnair lounge in the Non-Schengen area was comfortable with decent hot and cold food options and including decent wines. Arriving at the gate boarding had already begun in an orderly fashion. Was then very surprised to find myself on an A-330-300 wet leased from IB without any prior information that this flight will not carried out by AY. However this time it was at least IB which in C is a quality carrier and an airline I actually like to use for transatlantic flights. (Last time I booked AY flights all three legs have later been outsourced to low cost AB and a local company called Norra Air). Cabin had a 1-2-1 layout in C with lie flat seats. IFE was AVOD with visually good screens, but unresponsive touch screens. Iberiacabin crew was friendly, but not well trained about Finnair service items. Chose baked cod with kale for the main course, which was excellent and of restaurant quality. The starter was just ok and wines offered just average. However, dinner was served as a one tray service like in Y, although this was a day flight. Also, not all elements of the menu were served, e.g. the signature soup service was missing. FA’s were not really present between meal services. A chicken snack was served before landing, which was tasty as well. Slightly late departure and arrival was not an issue. While the overall experience was not bad I cannot recommend Finnair as 4 out of my last 5 flights were outsourced to other companies after the booking was made for an AY operated flight, you obviously do not know what you will actually get when you book.
AircraftA320 / A330-300
RouteVienna to Miami via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"a good price quality ratio"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Zürich to Helsinki. Finnair provides a good price quality ratio. Planes are clean, toilets also, staff is friendly and beverages are fresh. Finnair is selling a good feeling. I’m traveling often and it’s luxury to fly with Finnair. I cannot say I would enjoy flying that much since I’m such a coward but on this holiday I realized how safe their planes feel.
RouteZürich to Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2017

"cabin crew were nice and helpful"

Trip Verified | Flew Helsinki to Zurich with Finnair. Brand new A321 with Sharklets, the flight left on time and arrived on time, the cabin crew were nice and helpful. Good flight for inside Europe. The cabin interior is very white, clean and the seats are quit nice for a flight of this duration. The seat had a tablet holder which is very practical. No Wi-Fi yet on this flight.
AircraftA321 Sharklets
RouteHelsinki to Zurich
Date FlownDecember 2017

"worst company I've flown"

Trip Verified | Never again. Rude, slow, cheap airline. I was flying Moscow to New York via Helsinki. The flight was delayed for no reason, we were sitting on the plane with no apologies or explanations given. The flight was 40 min late (and the layover in Helsinki was 40 min) so the plane for NewYork left the minute we landed (there were 20 passengers going to NYC). They've collected us from the plane by the bus, brought to the airport and made us go through security for our transfer/connecting flights. There was no other flight to NYC this day, so Finnair sent some of us to London to catch a flight to NYC from there and some passengers had to to to NYC through Hong Kong! I had a third flight out of New York (for which I was late), and Finnair refused to take care of it because it was not a Finnair flight, (it was Delta flight and Delta took care of it with no problems). Overall the company looked clean but very cheap: seats uncomfortable, poor choice of food, flight attendants smily, but unhelpful. Flight entertainment is nonexistent- not even a single magazine, except "shopping" (forget the movies). I could not believe my eyes - I expected a good European service, not third world poor country service. I can see from reviews Finnair flights are often delayed or cancelled, it's absolutely the worst company I've flown (and I fly a lot, including lowcosters).
RouteMoscow to New York via Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2017

"they had problems with the supplier"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Helsinki-Oslo-Helsinki, both legs delayed about 40 min. Flight to Oslo a normal Finnair flight. On return flight they said that they had problems with the supplier and that's why they can't serve any food. Really? Guess it was more a lie than the truth. If they would have service in one hour flight they should have more attendants. Finland has two official languages: Finnish and Swedish. No announcements in Swedish at Helsinki airport, also on return flight extra announcements only in Finnish and English.
RouteHelsinki to Oslo
Date FlownDecember 2017

"FA's on all flights very courteous"

Trip Verified | I fly Finnair regularly, long haul to Asia through Helsinki and actually find them pretty good. In October flew Amsterdam - Helsinki - Guangzhou in A330, now - Hong Kong in A350. I like the A350 much better, herring bone seating more private and seats more comfortable. Also IFE system more up to date, with better info and screens. And the tail-camera on the A350 is really a great feature (esp. during take off and landing). Leg room in the short haul business class (AMS-HEL vv) is not great, but middle seats left free so no cramped feeling. The A330 I travelled with a partner, sat next to each other and found little storage with both seats and the window seat having to climb over the aisle seat, once flat. Not too comfortable. Return flight we chose single seats, much better in these aspects. The A350 1-2-1 setup is better. Found the seats comfortable for reading and watching movies, lying flat a little cramped at the feet but still got some good hours of sleep. For both long haul flights Wifi available, 1 hr free, extra hrs chargeable (but reasonable). Connection, once set up, stable and fast enough to work on e-mails. Send/receive bigger files not recommendable. Could not fault check in services in Amsterdam and transfer in Helsinki went smoothly. Transfer security in Helsinki with Guangzhou return flight almost empty, with Hong Kong return very busy (20 mins). There is a short connection channel, but also that one seemed pretty busy. All in all Helsinki airport well organized, but very crowded. So rushing through is a challenge. Lounges in Amsterdam and Helsinki both packed, even the Premier lounge in Helsinki. Guangzhou lounge not the best (CS lounge much better), in Hong Kong you can use Cathay or Qantas, both are fine options. FA's on all flights very courteous and service minded, no complaints. Food quality decent, the Finnish specials a fine addition. Individual food service, no trolleys, works well. Given the reasonable ticket prices, compared with other carriers from Amsterdam or Dusseldorf to southern China, for me Finnair is definitely a good choice.
RouteAmsterdam to Hong Kong via Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2017

"delayed flights, rude staff"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Delhi via Helsinki. We booked the flight 8 months in advance. Upon arriving to the airport, we were told we had been put on standby and they could not guarantee there would be room for us on the plane. Not explanation giving as to why. We had 40 minutes to switch flights in Helsinki. The plane arrived 30 minutes late, giving us 10 minutes. While in the air, we asked the stewardess if they could call ahead and warn their colleagues that our plane we be late and ask if they could wait for us as we might be a few minutes late, we were told that we had to make the call ourselves (while we were in the air). On the way back to Sweden, my inflight entertainment system was broken. I asked if I could switch to a seat with a working entertainment system, and were told the only available spaces were in premium economy class, and they could not to seat me there. I was offered a 20 euro voucher and 1 hour of free WiFi. Upon saying that I did not think that was a sufficient compensation for staring into the seat for the next 10 hours and again asked to get a new seat, the stewardess simply stormed off. Upon asking another stewardess I was given WiFi access for the entire flight. Why the first stewardess insisted on giving only an hour I do not know. All in all: delayed flights, dysfunctional entertainment systems and rude service staff in both directions. Will not be flying with them again.
RouteStockholm to Delhi via Helsinki