Finnair

"The service was very slow"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Frankfurt via Helsinki. Business class check in and I get the seat 1A Window side. If you sit straight your head touch the side wall. The front wall is maybe 60 cm from you. If you want to toilet and your neighbour is sleeping you have to climb over the person. The food was economy class standard. The flight start close to midnight but the meal comes very late so you are not able to sleep because of light and cabin traffic. The service was very slow and unfriendly. I was very disappointed about the small space, the low level food and the slow service. Where is the benefit between economy and business class at Finnair. Only the price ?
RouteBangkok to Frankfurt via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2018

"would fly Finnair again"

Trip Verified | Amsterdam to Tokyo Narita with Finnair. The bagage drop off in Amsterdam was extremely slow. There was a long queue and only two people from groundstaff were available for the check-in. The third groundstaff member at the business class desk was playing on her phone instead of helping passengers with the bagage drop off, while there were no business class passengers. It took almost 50 minutes to get my bag checked in. After security and a quick coffee it was already time to board one of their older A321's. The flight was completely full and we made an on time departure from Amsterdam. For short flights the comfort on board was OK. The first round of service was coffee or tea and later there was a second service with water, orange juice or blueberry juice which tasted quite good. Other food items were available on purchase. The flight landed with no delays at Helsinki. Helsinki airport was a zoo with lots of passengers connecting to the outbound Asia flights in the afternoon. After a 90 minute layover it was time to board the A350-900 to Tokyo. Boarding went quick and this flight was packed to the max as well. No empty seats in economy for sure (I should have booked the economy comfort seat in advance but I guessed the seat next would remain empty. Bad choise!). The legroom was sufficient and the seat was quite comfortable although I found the seat to be a bit narrow. The flight departed on time and after an hour the first meal service started. The meal quality (lamb sausages) was average. The entertainment product on the A359 is very good even in economy class. Large and bright screens and lots of movies or series to choose from. After the meal service there was a round of coffee and then the cabin crew disappeared. In the rearward galley there were drinks, savory items and chocolates available. I didn't get any sleep unfortunately because I found the cabin to be very hot. There are no individual air vents on the A359. One our before arrival the breakfast was served which contained a mushroom-omelette and a blueberry yogurt. Quality and quantity was good! Narita airport was a breeze in the early morning! After leaving the aircraft I passed migration and collected my bags in less then 15 minutes. I would definitely fly Finnair again on flights to Asia.The only downside was the groudstaff at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport. When you know the flight is fully booked, make sure there are more then two members available for the bagage drop!
AircraftA321 / A359
RouteAmsterdam to Tokyo via Helsinki
Date FlownMay 2018

"she didn't say bye to me"

Trip Verified | Helsinki to London and one of the cabin crew was extremely rude. When it came to serving the drinks she didn't bother to ask me if I wanted anything and served others around me. I noticed she did not converse with a lot of the passengers but only gesture to them, as she was not in the mood for conversation. When collecting the rubbish, she grab things from people. And when getting ready for landing, she grabbed bags some people were holding and shove it under the seat in front, without asking them to do so due to landing shortly. At the end of the flight, as I was walking past her, she didn't say bye to me. I decided to say thank you to her to see if she would at least acknowledge me, but she looked away from me and did not respond.
RouteHelsinki to London
Date FlownMay 2018

"I am changing from Finnair"

Trip Verified | Kansai to London via Helsinki. I paid and booked a seat 9D from Helsinki to London. However, my flight from Japan was delayed and my original flight from Helsinki to London was cancelled. So Finnair gave me a seat 30D which is the back block. I requested the refund as I paid and booked the front seat. Finnair refuse my refund as 'any seat should be paid extra to reserve.' I do not understand their logic at all. Finnair also said that I should have checked in advance to keep the front block seat. If you paid and booked the seat, why should I check-in in advance? I believe that Finnair is making excuse not to refund. In addition, their in flight entertainment is poor - movies are not changed for long time. Moreover the Finnair staff at Helsinki airport are arrogant and not helpful at all. Now I am changing from Finnair to somebody else.
RouteKansai to London via Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2018

"it is just a waste of time"

Trip Verified | I’ve made 16 flights with Finnair this year, 30% - 40% of them ended with problems because of the significant delays, 2 of them had to be rescheduled (one time I had to stay one additional night in Helsinki, another time to wait for more than 8 hours for another flight). I was thinking that I would be constantly flying with this airline, because it was comfortable for me in terms of timing, but after this experience I will never get back to this airline, it is just a waste of time, stress and additional costs. I would also add as a significant disadvantage the low efficient work of Helsinki Airport. Conclusions: if you have a chance, avoid Finnair, even if it proposes lower price of ticket!
RouteSt. Petersburg to Zurich via Helsinki

"Finnair as its best"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Bangkok to Helsinki. Daytime flight from Bangkok started late due to a computer issue but the captain kept us informed about the delay. The full Business cabin was served by a very attentive, friendly and polite crew - Finnair as its best. The main meal was quite tasty which isn’t always the case when starting from an outstation. Wines were really good. Although the late arrival, a great flight.
RouteBangkok to Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2018

"feels more like a low cost carrier"

Trip Verified | My first Finnair flight on a new A321 from Helsinki to Amsterdam. Thanks to Emerald status i got priority boarding. That can be helpful because the storage space in the lockers is limited so that late comers may find no space for their hand luggage. Seat 10A is an emergency exit seat so there is not a seat in front. This gives lots of legroom and is comfortable for a 2.5 hour flight. Service is friendly and having Emerald status also gives you a free newspaper of choice and a free beverage, where others had to pay. Unbelievable that this new plane has no screens for flight info. The whole experience feels more like traveling on a low cost carrier.
RouteHelsinki to Amsterdam

"A fantastic service"

Trip Verified | Dublin to Helsinki. I booked with Finnair to travel to Northern Finland for an Easter break with the family. Everything was clean and on time. In flight tv showed our live departure from cameras under the plane and we were served complimentary tea, coffee or blueberry juice. The children were also given a Moomin sticker each. A fantastic service and I would be delighted to travel with Finnair to Helsinki and beyond. A special mention to the crew who had a good few years of experience under their belt, extremely professional and courteous throughout. Other airlines should take note, it was free for all of the family to sit together as long as we did not mind an allocated seat, the farce of having to buy seats to be assured to sit beside small children should be stopped and I am glad Finnair don't have this policy.
RouteDublin to Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2018

"the service was attentive"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Munich to Helsinki. This was a 2h 20min flight, which was competed 20 minutes faster than the scheduled time, which was excellent. The plane was a well-kept A320, although it didn't have the usual Finnair screens with a real-time indication of the map location and heading of the aircraft. The staff was very friendly and the service was attentive. I'd booked an extra-legroom seat in Economy, which had more space than seats in Business, since there was a seat missing in the row in front. This was therefore a comfortable flight. Food was available for purchase, a short flight like this doesn't really require a free snack. Paying for purchases took no time at all using contactless payment. All in all, a reliable and quick A to B.
RouteMunich to Helsinki
Date FlownApril 2018

"wont even get the rewards miles"

Trip Verified | Singapore to Oslo via Helsinki. I booked business class tickets, and was told that because I had used one portion (forward journey only) I wouldn't get a refund if I cancelled the return leg, and the price to change the flight was astronomical. As good as the inflight experience was, the unwillingness to help clients is archaic. And I am more angry that I wont even get the rewards miles.
RouteSingapore to Oslo via Helsinki