Finnair

"FA's on all flights very courteous"

Trip Verified | I fly Finnair regularly, long haul to Asia through Helsinki and actually find them pretty good. In October flew Amsterdam - Helsinki - Guangzhou in A330, now - Hong Kong in A350. I like the A350 much better, herring bone seating more private and seats more comfortable. Also IFE system more up to date, with better info and screens. And the tail-camera on the A350 is really a great feature (esp. during take off and landing). Leg room in the short haul business class (AMS-HEL vv) is not great, but middle seats left free so no cramped feeling. The A330 I travelled with a partner, sat next to each other and found little storage with both seats and the window seat having to climb over the aisle seat, once flat. Not too comfortable. Return flight we chose single seats, much better in these aspects. The A350 1-2-1 setup is better. Found the seats comfortable for reading and watching movies, lying flat a little cramped at the feet but still got some good hours of sleep. For both long haul flights Wifi available, 1 hr free, extra hrs chargeable (but reasonable). Connection, once set up, stable and fast enough to work on e-mails. Send/receive bigger files not recommendable. Could not fault check in services in Amsterdam and transfer in Helsinki went smoothly. Transfer security in Helsinki with Guangzhou return flight almost empty, with Hong Kong return very busy (20 mins). There is a short connection channel, but also that one seemed pretty busy. All in all Helsinki airport well organized, but very crowded. So rushing through is a challenge. Lounges in Amsterdam and Helsinki both packed, even the Premier lounge in Helsinki. Guangzhou lounge not the best (CS lounge much better), in Hong Kong you can use Cathay or Qantas, both are fine options. FA's on all flights very courteous and service minded, no complaints. Food quality decent, the Finnish specials a fine addition. Individual food service, no trolleys, works well. Given the reasonable ticket prices, compared with other carriers from Amsterdam or Dusseldorf to southern China, for me Finnair is definitely a good choice.
RouteAmsterdam to Hong Kong via Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2017

"delayed flights, rude staff"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Stockholm to Delhi via Helsinki. We booked the flight 8 months in advance. Upon arriving to the airport, we were told we had been put on standby and they could not guarantee there would be room for us on the plane. Not explanation giving as to why. We had 40 minutes to switch flights in Helsinki. The plane arrived 30 minutes late, giving us 10 minutes. While in the air, we asked the stewardess if they could call ahead and warn their colleagues that our plane we be late and ask if they could wait for us as we might be a few minutes late, we were told that we had to make the call ourselves (while we were in the air). On the way back to Sweden, my inflight entertainment system was broken. I asked if I could switch to a seat with a working entertainment system, and were told the only available spaces were in premium economy class, and they could not to seat me there. I was offered a 20 euro voucher and 1 hour of free WiFi. Upon saying that I did not think that was a sufficient compensation for staring into the seat for the next 10 hours and again asked to get a new seat, the stewardess simply stormed off. Upon asking another stewardess I was given WiFi access for the entire flight. Why the first stewardess insisted on giving only an hour I do not know. All in all: delayed flights, dysfunctional entertainment systems and rude service staff in both directions. Will not be flying with them again.
RouteStockholm to Delhi via Helsinki

"Not a great experience"

Trip Verified | First time on Finnair flying from Zurich to Helsinki. Decided to take it as part of a OneWorld round the world ticket. Not a great experience. Flight was delayed and one of the worst planes I’ve flown in Europe. Plane was old and dirty, seats were uncomfortable (basically a narrow economy seat with an open in the middle, called business class), and boarding took forever as they let people on with 3 to 4 bags. Hoping for a better long haul flight on A350 to Singapore (if I even make connection), but starting to set the Finnair bar pretty low.
RouteZurich to Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2017

"Thank you and never again!"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Miami to Helsinki. Baby stroller lost and was "found" and delivered 1 week later. I was making an online check in for a return flight, however airline thought it will be better for me to take a seat by the toilet on a last row, instead of window seat in the middle. Thank you and never again!
RouteMiami to Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2017

"last flight with Finnair"

Verified Review | Avoid Finnair. London to Delhi via Helsinki. Flight AY121 from Helsinki to Delhi got cancelled. The management of the situation is as pathetic. They made us wait for 3+ hrs before cancellation of flight and rebooking is a complete disaster. They have no clue about what they do. Unfriendly, uncooperative, showing attitude staff and they don't get anything actioned. I had a similar case earlier in an overbooking situation. For me it was the last flight with Finnair. The product isn't worth it anyway.
RouteLondon to Delhi via Helsinki
Date FlownNovember 2017

"service onboard was excellent"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Helsinki. Finnair is a very good airline, at least in Business Class. I am surprised to see Finnair so low in the ranking after KLM for instance. The airplane was a new A350, service onboard was excellent and food was among the best I have had on an airplane. Overall an excellent experience.
RouteBangkok to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"they had to upgrade a few passengers"

Verified Review | Geneva to Helsinki. This was a small plane; the first surprise I got was when the check in lady (bearing in mind there were no signs of Finnair at the check in desk, only a small banner) that it was a fully booked flight and thus they had to upgrade a few passengers to business. It was a 2x2 configuration and the business class was basically full like economy. I stared back and saw that the only difference between me in business and the economy section was that I was located in front and had better drinks and food. The seats were the same. Cabin service was good but the food variety was basically the same in all the Finnair business classes I have been so far. My tip is unless you get upgraded the business class only worth it if you want to have a good dinner.
AircraftEmbraer 190
RouteGeneva to Helsinki
Date FlownOctober 2017

"cancelled without providing reason"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | My flight from Hong Kong to Helsinki was cancelled by Finnair less than 24 hours before departure without providing reason and the first available flight is 4 days later which was totally unacceptable. Their cancellation undoubtedly ruined my holiday. One month has passed and they said they were still investigating the case. I am furious that they refused to shoulder any responsibility to compensate us for the losses. You surely will not recommend an airline who never listens to their customers, right?
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Finnair refused to compensate"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Helsinki. I was supposed to fly with Finnair on 30/9 at 0025am. I received SMS & email message at 13:18pm 29/9 that flight was cancelled and they are working on my reservation. I heard nothing from them and took the initiative to contact them and finally got through via chat service. I was told that the earliest flight out indirectly would be 3/10 and directly 5/10. Such delay was totally unacceptable and we decided to cancel our flight. We have incurred penalty cost due to pre booking of hotels and tour groups. Finnair refused to compensate these. I would not recommend Finnair to any travelers from such bad experience on their part in handling crisis, failing to arrange alternate route for customers within 24 hours, failing to admit responsibilities of the problem that they created, compensate customers on cost we incurred due to their fault and their handling of customer complaints have been terrible
RouteHong Kong to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Overall a good experience"

Verified Review | Manchester to Nagoya via Helsinki. Main flights Helsinki to Nagoya and return were both enjoyable and a good experience. Both flights were on time with efficient and pleasant staff who appeared to enjoy their jobs. Choice of entertainment on board was varied and plenty of choice. Adequate legroom with blanket and pillows provided. Food provided was excellent and choice of alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks excellent. In between meals staff kept coming round with drinks, water and ice cream nothing was too much trouble for the cabin crew. Overall a good experience and would not hesitate to use again, thanks for being part of our memorable trip to Japan.
RouteManchester to Nagoya via Helsinki