Finnair

"worst airline I have flown"

Trip Verified | Delhi to Paris via Helsinki. This is the worst airline I have flown, the least helpful one and hence I would not advise anyone to fly this airline. My mother and I had the same type of ticket, the same number of finnairplus points, and whereas I was able to get a business upgrade, my mother was not able, not because of the lack of seats for upgrade, but simply because there was something wrong in their computer system regarding her reservation. I could not reach the airline by phone as it said their line was congested, though I tried more than 30 times. I explained my problem to them through their chat on internet. Although two different agents asked me about the details of her and my ticket, once I gave these details to them, they never answered back. So this is a loss of more than 450 euros with which I had bought sufficient points for our 2 upgrades. I am amazed that an airline is unwilling to correct a computer problem and behaves so impolitely.
RouteDelhi to Paris via Helsinki
Date FlownMarch 2018

"service was friendly and attentive"

(Mexico)

Trip Verified | This is my first time with Finnair. My flight was between Ivalo in Finland and London Gatwick. It was a 3 and a half hour flight on an A319 in economy class. Ground service in Ivalo was ok, quite immpersonal but efficient. On board, service was friendly and attentive. A sandwich and soft drinks were provided without cost. Food was ok. There was no entertainment on board. The aircraft was clean and well mantained. Space between seats was reduced but still acceptable. It is definitly a good option to fly in Finland.
RouteIvalo to London
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"nothing better than a no-frill"

Trip Verified | Finnair is nothing better than a no-frill or low-cost Carrier. But the positive point first: Finnair is still a safe airline when it comes to the technical reliability. And the planes are clean. But that's it! If one chooses Y-class you don't expect more than Coffee, Tea, Blackberry juice an Water. But never order water with gas unless you're ready to pay for. (HEL-ZRH flight time 2h30) Hopefully you never have to contact the customer service (apparently an unknown word for Finnair). If you get an answer you rather are very very patient. Don't expect a reply within a month or so. I did wait also more than half a year. And if you hear anything you probably read something else but not an appropriate answer to your question. There is the possibility to chat. I asked how I can change the return flight. The lady told me there are different possibilities: by phone or in their site when I'm logged-in. I told her I'm logged-in but cannot find a button like "change flight" or something similar. No answer. After some minutes and the question is there still somebody on the other end I were advised to call Finnair. It seems they don't know even their own site.. Once on a trip to Asia in c-class I did contact Finnair but received an answer after returning home. Very useful.It gives me the conviction the management won't change anything on their "Finnair light" concept. Or probably the top management is incapable
RouteHelsinki to Zurich

"Not worth the stress"

Trip Verified | Finnair is really 2 airlines. The first is the international glossy one which I flew from NY to Helsinki. Helsinki airport is really nice. Then there is the old Stalin style Finnair. It is horrible, horrible, horrible. Flying Helsinki to St. Petersburg, Russia was a nightmare. They use a 'Nordic Alliance" old turbo prop plane which has teeny tiny overhead cabins. In the freezing winter, in terrible weather they bus you onto the tarmac and you wait in line to board. I saw mothers with newborns worrying out that their baby had to be exposed without proper bundling to the elements, and I really sympathized. The staff on the local routes are nasty and crude. The food is non-existent. However, the absolute worst part is the strange standards they apply when trying to leave St. Petersburg. I flew out with the same luggage I flew in with. No difference. However, the standards at check in in St. Petersburg only allow for 8kg of carry on luggage. This is for an international flight. I did not have this problem in NY, nor Helsinki to St. Petersburg. Then the overhead luggage for the turboprop plane is not international standards. I take the same piece of carry on with me all over the world - no problem. The overhead bins for the turboprop were miniscule. I had to take my bag apart, put it in checked luggage, and then pay $88 USD for the privilege of being overweight 2kg because I was forced to put my carry on into my checked luggage. So - NY to Helsinki - luggage fine Helsinki to St. Petersburg - luggage fine St. Petersburg to Helsinki - luggage not fine Helsinki to NY - out of my hands. Then at the gate I saw a woman who had a backpack, and it was a little tall. They refused to let her board the turboprop plane with it and she missed her flight. Finnair is ok on an international direct flight. If you have to change planes or syphon off to one of their local routes its a disaster. Not worth the stress, service or anything else. Will reroute through Moscow on Aeroflot to avoid this nightmare again. Shame on Finnair for such inconsistent and shoddy service. Hats off to the international crew, and 0 stars to local service.
RouteSt. Petersburg to New York City via Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"full service carrier or low cost"

Trip Verified | Zurich to Helsinki return with Finnair. Both flights were on time, Cabin Crew were professional and the seats were comfortable. But the service was less than on other so called full service carriers in Europe (eg. Swiss, Lufthansa). IFE was non existent, food had to be paid for. Finnair needs to decide if they want to be a full service carrier or a low cost carrier. The one in the middle as they are now, does not appeal to me. But i like their Nordic Branding.
AircraftA321 / A320
RouteZurich to Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"miss my connecting flight"

(Italy)

Trip Verified | Dec 11th, I was supposed to fly from Milan to Osaka through Helsinki. My flight in Milan was delayed for 3 hours which caused me to miss my connecting flight to Osaka. I was forced to spend a night in Helsinki as there were no more flights and no more seats to Osaka for the next few days. Also on the 12th December there were no direct flights to Osaka. "Customer service" in Helsinki was rude and dismissed my complaints, they also didn't allow me to get warmer clothes from my checked in luggage because they had already transferred them to my next flight (there was a snowstorm in Helsinki on the 12th and I was forced to buy extra clothes to keep warm and change). I had to fly to Seoul because I was reassured that it would be the fastest way to reach Osaka, well it was not! The flight was again delayed for 4 hrs and caused me again to miss my flight in Seoul - Osaka. During these 4 hrs spent on the plane, no food or snacks were offered and they ended up serving dinner around midnight (we boarded the plane at 6 pm). Once I finally reached Korea I was offered no assistance at all by Finnair and was told to contact Korean Air to handle the missed connection. My luggage was lost as well. It has been almost 2 months since I filed the complaints demanding compensation but still no reply they also don't provide me with an address. During my return the TV wasn't working so I asked for help but they never helped, I had to change seat myself or I would have gone 10 hrs without any entertainment they also have less/old films compared to other airlines. Never again.
RouteMilan to Osaka via Helsinki
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"One of the worst experiences"

Trip Verified | Osaka to Munich via Helsinki. I was flying Business class from Osaka to Munich with a stopover in Helsinki. The connection flight from Helsinki to Munich was delayed for about 2h. After arrival in Munich no luggage of any passenger was showing up on the baggage carousel. An announcement was made all passengers have to go to Aerogate B, nothing else said. Not knowing what Aerogate B even meant I joined people leaving the arrival Hall. After 10 minutes walk to section B in the arrivals hall I saw already a big queue in front of a counter – the counter was called Aerogate, so the right one. Still no announcement, people didn’t know what was going on, everybody was left in in the dark about what was happening. After queuing up for 45 minutes a smaller sign saying Service desk lost & found was readable, so I started figuring out myself the entire baggage of every passenger was left behind in Helsinki. After queuing up for almost 1,5 hours no announcement explaining what happened was still made, no apologize, nothing. I asked at the counter why people were left in the dark until the end, and he asked me if there wasn’t an announcement in the plane? One of the worst experiences I ever had flying in Munich Airport and with Finnair. I hope I at least still get my baggage back at some point.
RouteOsaka to Munich via Helsinki
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"I wouldn't use Finnair again"

Trip Verified | I booked a flight from London to Bangkok and back from Phuket to London via Helsinki. When I looked at my booking online, I noticed that they changed the flight times for the flight from Phuket to Bangkok which ended up with a connecting time at Helsinki of 15 min. As this sounded a bit short for me, I called the customer service center to ask as to why I had not been informed of the change in schedule. (I got an E-mail earlier when they informed me that one of the booked flights changed flight times about 5 min!) The Finnair agent offered me flights on another day, which I refused. Then he offered me a flight with Qatar airways via DOH which I accepted although I don't like a long haul flight being divided in 2 short sectors. The flight to Bangkok was boarded by bus transfers which wasn't very comfortable on a freezing evening. In my section a very unfriendly and slightly overtaxed flight attendant gave me the menu and later asked for my preferences. The offered reindeer stew didn't meet my palate nor did the fish (Herring). The third choice (chicken), which I would have liked to have, had gone and the flight attendant informed me that they only had had 4 portions to begin with (for 45 business class passengers!) on these flights. Pre dinner drinks were offered as well as wine for dinner. To get a drink replenished you always had to ask. I had a good sleep, but although the price paid was quite affordable I wouldn't use Finnair again.
RouteHelsinki to Bangkok
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"All around nice experience"

(Finland)

Trip Verified | Flew Bangkok to Helsinki. All around nice experience. Only downside was the rather cold and clinical feel to the cabin. Great to see use of Finnish products and produce throughout the experience. Some products from my pre-flight shopping never made it to the plane and was quoted a wrong price for it!
RouteBangkok to Helsinki
Date FlownDecember 2017

"do not care about customers"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Gothenburg via Helsinki. Worst flight ever. We didn't actually book Finnair, but got them as codeshare for American Airlines. We flew British Airways and AA outbound from Sweden but got Finnair as operator on our inbound back to Sweden (via Helsinki). As a start, the online check in gave me and my wife seats in different rows saying there was no adjecent seat available, 3 minutes after online check in started (24h prior to departure). So I contacted Finnair online service, who said that they was so sorry but the plane was full. However, she recomended that we buy an upgrade to Economy Comfort. Then we both could sit together and have more legroom. Nice try. We tried once more at the check in/bag drop counter. But the Finnair staff at JFK didnt even bother to check if there was any possibility to change seats. Instead he turned and wanted to weigh our carry-ons. The bags weighed between 9-11 kg and he then prompted that Finnair rules was max 8 kg. We flew out with AA/BA who had 23 kg carry-on allowance wich we pointed out. He just laughed at us and said that no one allows 23 kg since that would be dangerous. So my wife had to repack our bags at the counter, for 3kg overweght. When I asked fo speak with a manager, another check in staff entered obviously playing manager and just said that this was a Finnair flight with Finnair rules. Then they all laughed and bid us a nice day. By the way, when my wife had unpacked and take out her camera from bag we were forced to check in, the man behind the counter turned again. - "Oh, it was a camera in the carry on? Then it would have been allowed". Serously!? We pay good money to fly with them and are handled like something the cat dragged in. I really hope people stop flying with this type of airline. They do not care about their paying customers, the only care about the payment and then obviously hope that you dont show up. And god forbid you bring anything aboard.. This was the first time with Finnair for us and for sure the very last one. We will never accept any codeshare iternarys flown by these ungrateful clowns. By the way there where several empty seats aboad this by Finnair standard "absolutley to the limit full airplane". By seeing other reviews on this site, this seems to be a common scam to sell upgrades. So my recomendations, if you are going to cross the Atlantic choose any other company than this. They all handles check in better and all of them has up to 23kg carry on allowance.
RouteNew York JFK to Gothenburg via Helsinki