El Al Israel Airlines

"food was really good"

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Amsterdam. We arrived at the airport at 2:00AM. We did electronic check-in which took 5 mins. We boarded the airplane at 5:00 and took off at 6:00. The seat was comfortable, and it had a headrest that you can lower, higher or fit to your head! After the takeoff we got beverages and 45 mins into the flight we got our food. You can choose your food when you purchase the ticket. The food was really good and IFE also great. You can download EL AL's app into your phone and watch movies, play games, see the map and even you can chat with other passengers without internet. (The planes has an internet connection). We landed at Amsterdam after a great flight.
AircraftBoeing 737-900ER
RouteTLV to AMS
Date FlownOctober 2016

"the worst airline experience"

Tel Aviv to London Heathrow. Travelling with an infant yet no chance of securing a bulkhead seat and no seatbelt for the child. Shockingly bad value in premium economy. Nothing to separate it from standard economy: neglible leg room difference, still 3 seats in a row etc. Drinks service laughable: the only alcohol was red wine; no beer, no white wine, no spirits. Soft drinks served in little paper cups without ice. Check in was a nightmare of queuing for nearly 2 hours at the national airport to simply complete pre-check in security for the national airline. Israel should be ashamed. Quite honestly, from start to finish the worst airline experience I have ever had.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteTLV to LHR
Date FlownOctober 2016

"shocked at the quality"

Newark to Tel Aviv with El Al. Our first time to the Middle East. While not inexperienced travelers, we were shocked at the difference in quality and comfort of this airline. The seats were dirty, smelly and worn out. Once the meal service was over so was customer service. The flight was approximately 12 hrs long (extra tiring by anyone's standards). However, the flight could have been endurable had the lights in the cabin not been turned out, the tv not been broken with no help from cabin crew, refreshments been regularly offered, water would have been nice (I went in search of an attendant but no sightings), the bathrooms were disgusting with no one to report the problem to. The food - I understand the need to serve a kosher meal to those who require it but, we were a plane full of passengers that didn't require this. We were not given the choice. Who serves a hard roll cold with no butter? And sorry but, chopped salad for breakfast? Horrible. We were herded through the airport onto the plane and off again like cattle. The security questions were patent and a joke. If we are ever called to the Middle East again which I don't foresee, flying El Al will not even be considered. Flyers Beware.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteEWR to TLV
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"terrible from start to finish"

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Tel Aviv. Terrible experience from start to finish. The cabin staff servicing our area of the plane were very rude and unattentive. Our row of seats and numeorus others were missed when handing out hot towels etc and the same also happened with breakfast as we had to ask for our meals. We were seated opposite a family who obviously worked for the airline and they received all of the attention, including seconds of meals before we'd even been serviced. Just before arrival I was told that my luggage did not make it onto the plane, even though they had been checked through from Sydney and there was a 3-hour stopover. The staff at Lost & Found at Tel Aviv airport were not helpful at all and very hard to communicate with. Was told to ring the airport again the next day to check progress on luggage but was only able to leave a message asking for a return call, which never happened. My luggage ended up arriving 4 days later. I was told to keep my receipts for any clothing I had to buy because of luggage delay and I'd be compensated by the airline but their online claim forms crash and do not work. Have tried 3 times but impossible to complete. Overall a very forgettable experience and would advise not to use this airline.
RouteHKG to TLV
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"were asked to pay for re-booking of flight"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Bangkok. We planned a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia in very high detail, about six months before traveling; flights and ground services were booked and were reserved accordingly. On July 3rd, 2016, we left with high expectation, a group of five people, to fly on EL AL flight LY081, planned to depart at 2230. We had a connecting Vietnam Air flight to Hanoi, with a layover of two hours and ten minutes, significantly higher than from conventional MCT. Although we did an early check in early, and left our contact information, EL AL did not update us directly on the two-hour delay in flight. We heard of this delay only on the way to the air field. The magnitude of the delay was reveled when it was too late to book an alternative connecting flight, while we still had the opportunity (free seats wise). We had to wait for hours before the flight left, almost 3 hours after the scheduled time. We arrived to Bangkok after an exhausting flight in El Al's old 747 plane, amazing to see this plane is still in service (seat handles ashtrays openings, still existing). Upon arrival to Bangkok, EL AL representative escorted us, trying to help us find a connecting flight. We were on a "waiting list" for Vietnam Airlines flight, which was scheduled to leave at 1905. If we had gotten on this flight, there would have been a minimal damage to our trip itinerary. We were delighted when we learned that we had seats available on this flight. But, we were asked to pay for re-booking of flight. EL AL were not willing to paying the additional $120 per person for this change. In order to avoid extra costs (cancellation of hotel reservation, change an itinerary, etc.), we decided to pay the above amount and to clarify the matter with EL AL, in a later stage. Unfortunately, the payment process prolonged and the flight left without waiting for us. When we turned to EL AL station, to arrange the next connecting flight, they declared they cannot help us, and told us to come back on the next day. We had to stay another night in Bangkok and cancel the ground services booked and paid in Hanoi, Vietnam. We found ourselves the first alternative connecting flight, that had seats available (Thai Air), and paid $ 350 per person. It goes without saying that since the trip was carefully planned, on a daily and even hourly basis, we had to make changes and concessions and disrupted our enjoyment.
RouteTLV to BKK
Date FlownJuly 2016

"whole rows or sections were missed"

Verified Review | It has been almost 30 years since I flew to Israel and I thought I would always fly El Al. Yes the security is great but it was far below par on many things. Flew from Perth to Tel Aviv via Hong Kong and Bangkok. The main complaint I have is the way satff give out beverages and food. Not just once but several times was this done so haphazardly that whole rows or sections were missed. I had to ask the staff to return to give a section food, at which point I was told we were all sleeping, we were not. Towels were given out to sections and missed with others. Bottles of water were given out and then not to others. It was like they started well then just forgot where they had got up to. Just not good enough.
RoutePER to TLV via HKG and BKK
Date FlownJuly 2016

"a blatant untruth"

(Israel)

Verified Review | I had not flown El Al for years and had almost forgotten why I avoid this airline. We booked a flight with Iberia from Tel Aviv to NYC with a stopover in Madrid. The first leg was with an El Al flight to Madrid. Take off was delayed due to an unfortunate illness of one of the passengers, the plane was freezing and when I requested a blanket I was told that there were none. We landed in Madrid one hour late and were assured by the pilot on the p.a. system that a representative of the connecting flight would accompany us to the gate for our flight. In fact El Al had already e-mailed the passenger service to send us to a hotel until the following day. I could easily cope with this delay but had great difficulty with a blatant untruth. I will make every effort not to fly El Al in the future.
RouteTLV to MAD
Date FlownJune 2016

"inflight entertainment was shocking"

We recently flew to Israel on El Al from Hong Kong. We had a short layover but this is very common and we were also delayed 1.5 hours. Surely 3 hours is enough time to get our bags on board? No, bags were lost and were only sent to us two days later. The inflight entertainment was shocking, the movies were on a loop so you had to keep checking, tray tables falling apart and the aircraft was so old. The second flight we had booked was from Israel to Bangkok and then we a flight from Bangkok to Hanoi. El Al sent no message to us to say it was delayed and we had checked in. Not even an email. It was delayed 2 hours due to a flight coming late from the previous destination. El Al showed no remorse that we were going to miss our flight to Vietnam, even so they wouldn't even write us a letter for insurance. I emailed the customer service email as I was instructed to and was told "we will do our get back to you in 21 days". Clearly not a priority. We got to Bangkok and sat with Vietnam airlines for 4 hours on stand by and they finally said there was 2 seats but we needed to pay. They are a disgrace, we spent 24 hours running around airports because of their disorganisation and lack of care. Will not fly them again.
RouteTLV to BKK
Date FlownJune 2016

"very good experience"

Verified Review | Tel Aviv to Toronto with El Al. Flight on time, plane clean with very comfortable seats. Inflight entertainment via I Pad is not as good as competitor's offerings. Crew exceptional friendlyand caring - without being overbearing. Flight leaves just after midnight and arrives before 7AM in Toronto, allowing for a full night sleep. All in all a very good experience.
RouteTLV to YYZ
Date FlownMay 2016

"staff very attentive and friendly"

(Austria)

Verified Review | A very nice experience overall flying from Tel Aviv to Vienna. Flight was on time, security process and boarding very smooth. Cabin staff very attentive and friendly. Seat comfort okay, leg room was average like on any other mid-range flight. No personal IFE but a movie was screened in the overhead monitors. Aperitif with a snack and a hot meal (two choices, very delicious for airplane food) were served. I chose them because the ticket was more than 100 Euros cheaper than Austrian Airlines for the same route, next time I will chose them for the quality I have experienced.
RouteTLV to VIE