Top 100 Airlines

China Eastern Airlines

"rude service by most cabin crew "

Verified Review | Shanghai to Paris was the first time I have flown with China Eastern Airlines, and I won't be using them again. It was booked as a package through a travel agent, so we didn't actually choose it. The seats were okay and the food was okay but the service was slow and some Chinese cabin crew were rude and annoying. For example one of them kept nudging and walking into me as we walked by and spilt cold water over me - I said be careful and she ignored me. No apology nothing. Then we had to sit through and watch a stupid exercise video all in Chinese for half an hour near the end of the flight when some of us were watching films, TV or the map and others were listening to music. Some very strange ways and rude service by most of the cabin crew so I won't be using them again.
RoutePVG to CDG
Date FlownMay 2016

"avoid at all costs"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Melbourne via Shanghai. Never fly China Eastern Airlines. We paid for Business Class due to the need for flat bed seats. We got an old plane with seats that didn't recline fully meaning a sleepless flight. The reason for the delay in departure was blatantly untrue (icing on the wings - the outside temp was 9ºC) as was the reason for the excessive cabin temperature (27ºC). We were told that was the normal temperature passengers liked, but after a couple of hours of complaining of the heat, an honest attendant told us the air conditioning wasn't working! We moved seats after a sleeping member of cabin staff was moved out of one of the seats. There was a poor choice of food and it was lukewarm, as the attendant seemed unable or unwilling to heat it to the correct temperature. There was a terrible choice of films. Our stopover was Shanghai, a horrible bleak airport, where we were met by rude and unhelpful ground staff and had to find our own way to a shabby VIP lounge. This was a very long way from where we had entered the airport. Our luggage was left out uncovered in the rain, so when we got to our destination, we found the clothes in one end of my husband's soft case, were very wet. All in all it was a dreadful experience. I can't stress enough that this is an airline to avoid at all costs,even if, as in our case, it came highly recommended. China Eastern haven't the foggiest idea of what good service is, particularly if the passenger has paid the extra cost for Business Class.
RouteLHR to MEL via PVG
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"China Eastern was terrible"

(China)

Verified Review | Shanghai to Honolulu with China Eastern was terrible. Hope to never have to fly them again. Traveled with my pregnant wife and two kids both under the age of five. They had no personal tv on the seat back in front of you. Hoarded their water and ice, my wife had to beg them for more than one glass of water. The wine serving was tiny and by the time I asked for a refill they had no more wine. I think each cart had just one bottle of red wine for a few hundred people.
RoutePVG to HNL
Date FlownApril 2016

"have understood nothing "

Verified Review | Shanghai to Delhim with China Eastern Airlines. A Hindu Meal (purely vegetarian) was requested with the booking, and the airline served me meat, rice and cabbage. I am an English speaking person, and complained to the cabin crew, but they pertained to have understood nothing - this was despite the fact they were speaking English as per their own convenience during other conversations.
RoutePVG to DEL
Date FlownApril 2016

"journey itself was awful"

Verified Review | Phnom Penh to London Heathrow via Shanghai with China Eastern. The usual cramped seating, that we expected. A 7/8 hour stopover in Shanghai. We also knew about this but the company (cheapo air) emailed me to say it had changed and they said they would put £3.85 back onto my credit card? We were so confused by these mails that we had to go to the airline in Phnom Penh to make sure that everything was ok. The journey itself was awful. The meals, that you kind of look forward to on these long haul flights, were dreadful - even the Chinese passengers were not eating them. We ended up hungry as we just couldn't eat. Then to top everything off, the steward spilled a cup of hot coffee over my boyfriend!!! They gave him a few dollars by way of compensation and apologised profusely, but maybe they need some extra training.
RoutePNH to LHR via PVG
Date FlownMarch 2016

"a really nice experience"

Verified Review | Sydney to Shanghai, and a new W330 with the latest seat configuration. We left on time outbound and arrived a little early. A little late leaving without an announcement but arrived on time. Lovely FA's each way with good English and the food was fine. Nice selection of wine and a reasonable drink menu. Entertainment/movies were average but ok. Only downside was the lack of quality headphones, certainly not noise cancelling. Comfortable seating with plenty of space for storage. The layout of 1-2-1 leaves plenty of room. Cabin temperature fine. Boarding etc was fine although the lounge in Shanghai is just terrible. Not even a handle on the toilet door! Overall a really nice experience.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSYD to PVG

"disgrace of an airline"

Verified Review | Hopeless disgrace of an airline. At least two flights ex Guangzhou to Wuhan cancelled on evening of 17/04/16. Bad things hapoen, of course, but China Eastern could not have made a worse job of handling it if they had actually tried. No communication and zero apology for what is now a totally sleepless twelve hour delay, almost all of which has been spent in different lines/queues (four just to get my bag back, which took so long [but was not optional] that it was almost time re-check it by the time I found it). I fly in and out of and through China a lot. This is the last time I will use China Eastern. Avoid.
RouteCAN to WUH

"major attitude issue"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Manila via Shanghai Pudong with China Eastern, and I echo other reviews you get what you pay for. But this airlines has a major attitude issue with their cabin staff. I was trying to turn my cell phone off, the plane was not moving at all, the door was just closed. A cabin staff who was checking on seat belts saw me she screamed at me in Chinese, she saw what I was trying to do to turn off my phone. Her face was so red I was scared.
RouteJFK to MNL via PDG
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"get what you pay for"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Flew Bangkok to Paris via Shanghai with China Eastern Airlines. After reading all the reviews I was a bit worried about flying with them, but in the end it wasn't that bad. You get what you pay for. My first two flights were operated by very old planes, and to my surprise, on the flight from PVG to CDG they didn't even have PTV's so it was a very boring flight. From CDG to PVG the plane was brand new, and entertainment system was nice. PVG to BKK was operated by Shanghai Airlines, quite new aircraft although not very clean. The worst part of the flight was transiting in Shanghai, it took me nearly 2 hours to validate my boarding pass and go over the security check. Food was also not very good, although crew came around with drinks quite a few times during the flight. All flights were on time and my checked bag arrived quite quickly as well. Maybe I was lucky, but this airline is not bad.
AircraftA320, A330
RouteBKK to CDG PVG
Date FlownApril 2016

"warm welcome from cabin staff"

Verified Review | I am extremely happy flying domestic first class with China Eastern from Beijing to Shanghai. At Beijing Airport with premium check-in and lounge. This something you will not find in the US. Onboard was a very warm welcome from the cabin staff who were friendly. At first I swapped seat with some guy who wants to sit with his friend. So, I got his window seat and didn't really like it. Later I asked to switched to an aisle seat and was no issues. The only problem I had with flying in China is I have to turn the phone completely off. This is a business trip and I needed to take some notes/emails on my phone. Ended up writing it on a piece of paper. On boarding, drinks and hot towel were provided. The food (I believe I had the Chicken) was the same as economy food and nothing special. The plane was very clean. All magazines were up to date.
Cabin FlownFirst Class