Top 100 Airlines

China Eastern Airlines

"China Eastern was terrible"

(China)

Verified Review | Shanghai to Honolulu with China Eastern was terrible. Hope to never have to fly them again. Traveled with my pregnant wife and two kids both under the age of five. They had no personal tv on the seat back in front of you. Hoarded their water and ice, my wife had to beg them for more than one glass of water. The wine serving was tiny and by the time I asked for a refill they had no more wine. I think each cart had just one bottle of red wine for a few hundred people.
RoutePVG to HNL
Date FlownApril 2016

"have understood nothing "

Verified Review | Shanghai to Delhim with China Eastern Airlines. A Hindu Meal (purely vegetarian) was requested with the booking, and the airline served me meat, rice and cabbage. I am an English speaking person, and complained to the cabin crew, but they pertained to have understood nothing - this was despite the fact they were speaking English as per their own convenience during other conversations.
RoutePVG to DEL
Date FlownApril 2016

"journey itself was awful"

Verified Review | Phnom Penh to London Heathrow via Shanghai with China Eastern. The usual cramped seating, that we expected. A 7/8 hour stopover in Shanghai. We also knew about this but the company (cheapo air) emailed me to say it had changed and they said they would put £3.85 back onto my credit card? We were so confused by these mails that we had to go to the airline in Phnom Penh to make sure that everything was ok. The journey itself was awful. The meals, that you kind of look forward to on these long haul flights, were dreadful - even the Chinese passengers were not eating them. We ended up hungry as we just couldn't eat. Then to top everything off, the steward spilled a cup of hot coffee over my boyfriend!!! They gave him a few dollars by way of compensation and apologised profusely, but maybe they need some extra training.
RoutePNH to LHR via PVG
Date FlownMarch 2016

"a really nice experience"

Verified Review | Sydney to Shanghai, and a new W330 with the latest seat configuration. We left on time outbound and arrived a little early. A little late leaving without an announcement but arrived on time. Lovely FA's each way with good English and the food was fine. Nice selection of wine and a reasonable drink menu. Entertainment/movies were average but ok. Only downside was the lack of quality headphones, certainly not noise cancelling. Comfortable seating with plenty of space for storage. The layout of 1-2-1 leaves plenty of room. Cabin temperature fine. Boarding etc was fine although the lounge in Shanghai is just terrible. Not even a handle on the toilet door! Overall a really nice experience.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSYD to PVG

"disgrace of an airline"

Verified Review | Hopeless disgrace of an airline. At least two flights ex Guangzhou to Wuhan cancelled on evening of 17/04/16. Bad things hapoen, of course, but China Eastern could not have made a worse job of handling it if they had actually tried. No communication and zero apology for what is now a totally sleepless twelve hour delay, almost all of which has been spent in different lines/queues (four just to get my bag back, which took so long [but was not optional] that it was almost time re-check it by the time I found it). I fly in and out of and through China a lot. This is the last time I will use China Eastern. Avoid.
RouteCAN to WUH

"major attitude issue"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Manila via Shanghai Pudong with China Eastern, and I echo other reviews you get what you pay for. But this airlines has a major attitude issue with their cabin staff. I was trying to turn my cell phone off, the plane was not moving at all, the door was just closed. A cabin staff who was checking on seat belts saw me she screamed at me in Chinese, she saw what I was trying to do to turn off my phone. Her face was so red I was scared.
RouteJFK to MNL via PDG
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"get what you pay for"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Flew Bangkok to Paris via Shanghai with China Eastern Airlines. After reading all the reviews I was a bit worried about flying with them, but in the end it wasn't that bad. You get what you pay for. My first two flights were operated by very old planes, and to my surprise, on the flight from PVG to CDG they didn't even have PTV's so it was a very boring flight. From CDG to PVG the plane was brand new, and entertainment system was nice. PVG to BKK was operated by Shanghai Airlines, quite new aircraft although not very clean. The worst part of the flight was transiting in Shanghai, it took me nearly 2 hours to validate my boarding pass and go over the security check. Food was also not very good, although crew came around with drinks quite a few times during the flight. All flights were on time and my checked bag arrived quite quickly as well. Maybe I was lucky, but this airline is not bad.
AircraftA320, A330
RouteBKK to CDG PVG
Date FlownApril 2016

"warm welcome from cabin staff"

Verified Review | I am extremely happy flying domestic first class with China Eastern from Beijing to Shanghai. At Beijing Airport with premium check-in and lounge. This something you will not find in the US. Onboard was a very warm welcome from the cabin staff who were friendly. At first I swapped seat with some guy who wants to sit with his friend. So, I got his window seat and didn't really like it. Later I asked to switched to an aisle seat and was no issues. The only problem I had with flying in China is I have to turn the phone completely off. This is a business trip and I needed to take some notes/emails on my phone. Ended up writing it on a piece of paper. On boarding, drinks and hot towel were provided. The food (I believe I had the Chicken) was the same as economy food and nothing special. The plane was very clean. All magazines were up to date.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RoutePEK to SHA
Date FlownMarch 2016

"flying experience is acceptable"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | I flew China Eastern Airlines from Changchun to Hong Kong on via Shanghai Pudong. The first flight (an A321-200) was pleasant despite the fact is was near full capacity. The legroom was ample compared to similar aircraft from other airlines that I had flown. Inflight entertainment from drop down cabin screens. The cabin crew were courteous, but unable to communicate English fluently. The meal was served shortly after take-off plus drinks and hot beverages. The second leg from Shanghai Pudong was an older version A320 with classical seat and limited seat pitch. I found it difficult to move my leg and any movement is restricted. A big disappointment as it was not equipped with in-flight entertainment. Inflight meal was slightly better, probably because this is an international flight and provided with ice cream as well. Overall flying experience with China Eastern is acceptable though it is not the best China based airline that I had ever flown it.
AircraftA321-200 / A320-200
RouteCGQ to HKG via PVG
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"should have a better grasp of English"

As other reviewers have stated, we were interested in the low fares offered by China Eastern. We actually flew out of Chicago on the first day the route from Chicago to Shanghai was offered. The check-in line was a nightmare, but we excused them given it was their first day in O'Hare airport. The flight left an hour late, but arrived in PVG on time. The plane itself, which was a relatively new 777-300ER, was comfortable and our seats were great (though we had to swap with another passenger so my wife and I could sit together). The long flight to PVG was one of the smoothest flights I have ever experienced, so I would give a high rating to the pilots. Unfortunately, that's about the extent of the positive aspects of this airline. Their flight attendants really should have a better grasp of English if they are going to keep adding North American routes. It was frustrating to communicate even simple requests. Perhaps the greatest downfall of this airline is being based at the Shanghai airport. That place is dreadful and cause enough for us to avoid China Eastern from now on. While the pilots and the planes earn nice marks, the language barrier and the horrific transfer experience mean we will be using another airline next time.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER