Airline of the Year

China Eastern Airlines

"worst service I have ever received"

Verified Review | Chiang Mai to Vancouver via Shanghai. I will never book with this airline again. China Eastern Airlines was the reason I missed my connection flight home, and they handled it terribly. There was no announcement saying we would be departing late or landing late. It was 10 hours into the flight when I found out we would be arriving late, so I showed my boarding pass to the staff. They were rude, and basically laughed saying I "would not make it, need new flight". No one helped me. When we landed it took about 2 hours of waiting with 15 other people to find out what was happening with our connection flight. We were finally told that we were put onto a flight the next morning, 12 hours away - then to be told that this airline would not put us in a hotel for the night. $10.00 food voucher and that was it. Reimbursement? Maybe we would get one in 2 months. Maybe. The flight staff was rude, and snarky. No empathy, and no apologies. The worst service I have ever received on an airline.
RouteChiang Mai to Vancouver via Shanghai
Date FlownMay 2017

"no interest in customer service"

Verified Review | Kolkata to Vancouver via Kunming. While in India I required an extension of my ticket to complete dental work. Cost in India; $300. In Canada, $3,300. Every effort to reach the airline by e-mail was ignored. Phoned twice, and received bogus e-mail address. Time spent on calls were more then the time it would have taken to let me know I was entitled to an extension. Only found this out in Kolkata airport 3.5 hours before flight home. Needed 4 hours. Lost time waiting to enter airport as received itinerary, not a ticket. On return wrote to manager in Vancouver. Also ignored. Feeling is they sold a ticket by computer, and had no interest in customer service. Total lack of humanity. As a result, despite the savings in airfare, I would highly recommend that customers not take this airline as outside of in-flight aspects, it lacks a human component.
AircraftA330-200
RouteKolkata to Vancouver via Kunming
Date FlownMarch 2017

"by far the worst airline"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Phnom Penh via Kunming. This is by far the worst airline. Sure, I got my ticket $560 but that doesn't mean I have to take the trip to hell. I departed from SFO to Kunming with a delay. Their customer services seem to know very little of English, and nobody speaks English at all the transfer airports in mainland China. At all airports that we were transferring from, No WiFi, No signs to navigation to proper transfer points. Their meals sucked. I strongly suggest do not take this flight.
RouteSan Francisco to Phnom Penh via Kunming
Date FlownMay 2017

"never fly with China Eastern again!"

Unverified | Okinawa to Rome via Shanghai. I don't be even know where to begin. First we booked our flight 3 months ahead and China Eastern kept changing the route which caused overnight layovers in Shanghai and Moscow. The flight from Okinawa to Shanghai was the worst. The flight attendants were rude and ignored us. The food was so-so. Then leaving Rome we had to buy a whole new ticket to fly with China Airlines because China Eastern did not let us know we needed a visa to stay in Moscow overnight. So when we called China Eastern to see if they could find us another flight they did nothing but look up one flight said it was booked could not refund us or give us credit for it. So we had to find a flight last minute and pay a grand. We will never fly with China Eastern again!
RouteOkinawa to Rome via Shanghai

"was pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Shanghai to London. I booked China Eastern with low expectations, however was pleasantly surprised. The aircraft was modern and clean. The business class seat was similar to Cathay Pacific, and seats have direct aisle access and recline into a very comfortable and private flat bed. The food I was pleasantly surprised. I'd read bad things so opted for the Chinese options. If you are flying a Chinese airline, then you would expect the Chinese food to be good and it was. One meal I would go as far to say it was delicious. On the return leg, I did try a Western option (lamb) and it was tasty. The crew were courteous and attentive. I can understand how non-Chinese speakers might come across frustrations as some crew had limited English. The lounges are less inspiring but ground staff were generally helpful. Priority boarding was well organised and efficient
RouteShanghai to London
Date FlownMay 2017

"$490 USD which I thought was fantastic"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Hong Kong via Shanghai. I came across a round-trip offer for $490 USD which I thought was fantastic. However, I soon realized that China Eastern Airlines has horrible reviews. I took a leap of faith and went with them. I arrived at LAX, and line wasn't too long but the amount of agents helped it go quickly. I checked a bag without any hassle and made my way through security. When boarding was announced they had agents holding up signs indicating where you should line up. It was a pleasant experience and once I boarded I was surprised at how much leg room and space I had for a basic economy seat on this aircraft. Food service was mediocre but it's economy. The in-flight entertainment had a lot of good american films but not so much tv shows. The staff spoke fairly decent English and provided very good service. The only issue I had was with China Government regulation that says people cannot operate cell phones on flights but iPads and laptops are ok?? That doesn't make sense. We arrived in Shanghai on time and departed for Hong Kong on time as well. Both flights were fine and the same level of service for the return trip. I would highly suggest China Eastern given their price. However, I always prefer a nonstop flight if I can so the layover wasn't ideal but that wasn't China Eastern's fault.
RouteLos Angeles to Hong Kong via Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2017

"satisfied with this flight"

(China)

Verified Review | Baoshan to Guangzhou via Kunming. Very satisfied with this flight: clean aircraft, comfortable seats, quite tasty food but the highlight was service by a young female FA who professional, proactive and offering business class service. She even asked me for my Chinese name, in order to properly address me. To my surprise they offer white and red wines, something I have found unusual on China Southern narrow body domestic flights. I really enjoyed the flight.
RouteBaoshan to Guangzhou via Kunming
Date FlownApril 2017

"never had big issues with them"

(China)

Verified Review | Guangzhou to Baoshan domestic flight on 13APR, seat 41L. The flight consists of 2 flights with an approx. 1hr stop in Kunming. The first leg newish aircraft, very comfy seats with adjustable headrests. The staff was very polite and helpful, however they didn't approach to say "hello" to SkyTeam Gold member (as they're required by their management). I saw them greeting their own program's FFs, also delivering them food before others - a nice gesture I think. The food was quite tasty and they're not scared to offer pork options. On other Chinese airlines it's just beef or chicken in economy class. On arrival in Kunming all passengers continuing to Baoshan have to exit the aircraft and exchange their boarding passes inside the aerobridge - I think this step is unnecessary and just time wasting. The other leg in a very old B737-700, just a water handed in during boarding but for a 50min flight it was OK. I saw many negative flight reports about China Eastern, however I have never had big issues with them and recommend them.
RouteGuangzhou to Baoshan via Kunming
Date FlownApril 2017

"flight was brilliantly priced"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Shenzhen via Shanghai, and my experience was fine. The plane was clean and new, food acceptable, we left and arrived on time, seats were comfortable, movie selection adequate, staff polite and efficient. Only slight annoyance was total ban on cell phones, even if in flight mode. So if you want some music bring another media source. Best of all the flight was brilliantly priced. So no complaints.
RouteLos Angeles to Shenzhen via Shanghai

"Food wasn't spectacular"

Verified Review | Booked my trip from Sydney to Shanghai due to special fare. Sydney to Shanghai leg was flown by A330, plane was ok, entertainment screen was quite big. Food wasn't spectacular but was edible, in fact, not much different to Qantas anyway. Crew members' English were reasonable, the only negative was the fact the cabin temperature was a bit too cold. HangZhou to Sydney flag was flown by A320, old plane, no entertainment at all, though it didn't affect me much, I slept pretty much the whole way through, crew were nice overall.
RouteSydney to Shanghai