China Eastern Airlines

"cancelled with a simple text message"

Not Verified | Shenzhen to Shanghai. Would like to review the booked flight but it was cancelled with a simple text message - flight cancelled. No alternatives, nothing. Fortunately as had booked business class through the Chinese agent Ctrip was able to arrange a replacement flight for us, but only after I called them. Actually it’s not worth complaining about. This is an airline from the cultural revolution, customer service means nothing. Rebooked on MU5356 as expected, rubbish service - seats that should be used in military vehicles. Tourism in China is not exactly a pleasure, and even worse with China Eastern as the carrier.
RouteShenzhen to Shanghai
Date FlownNovember 2017

"seat is excellent"

Trip Verified | New York to Hong Kong via Shanghai. I have to say I was motivated to write this review in large part due to the generally negative reviews I had read on China Eastern prior to taking my first flight. These reviews are so negative I almost cancelled my booking to use Avios points on Cathay. However on actually flying them I was truly impressed by the flight. The seat is excellent and felt the same as the one I had flown on in Air France recently (also excellent). I managed 9 hours of sleep, a record for me. The service was professional if a little robotic although the FA constantly checked if I needed anything else during meal service. Once meal service was done the FAs pretty much disappeared until breakfast although there was a self service food station left out. Entertainment system was limited but that’s my only negative.
RouteNew York to Hong Kong via Shanghai
Date FlownNovember 2017

"The attendant just shrugged"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Kathmandu via Kunming. In February this year, my husband and I found a great deal on a flight to Nepal for $903.61CAD. The flight was with China Eastern Airlines, booked through Flighthub. We thought it was too good to be true, we were right. Icouldn't find any reasons as to why the tickets were so cheap, so we purchased them and began to plan our trek through Nepal. The itinerary clearly stated 2 layovers, one in Vancouver, and one in Kunming China. We would fly Vancouver to Kunming China (arriving at 19:25) where we would have an overnight layover. Our flights to Kathmandu left the next day at 16:05. I made sure to research the Visa requirements for China and we did not require a Visa for this layover. I booked our hotel in Kunming for our overnight stay. Fast forward to our departure date. We flew from Edmonton to Vancouver without any problems. As we were waiting at our gate to board our flight, I was paged to come to the boarding podium (10 minutes prior to boarding). I was informed by the China Eastern attendant that my husband and I would not be allowed to board the flight as we did not have Visas for China. I explained to her that we did not need them as we were flying into and departing from the same city, and we were in China for less than 24 hours. She then informed me that there was an additional layover in Guangzhou, which put us in the country for 26 hours (2 hours over our time allowed without a Visa). I was furious and demanded an explanation as to how an additional layover (that makes the difference between being able to enter a country or not) was not listed on our itinerary. The attendant just shrugged and told us to downstairs to the China Eastern Air ticket desk. We watched our flight to China depart as we scrambled through the airport to find the desk. Upon arrival we were greeted with someone who I can only assume was a robot. We explained our situation numerous times and requested to be reassigned to a flight that could get us to Nepal. The attendant found numerous flights that would get us there, but refused to book us as she said we had to call China Eastern air even though we were standing right in front of her. The only thing she could say was "sorry" with a shoulder shrug, over and over and over. We called, and low and behold, we were transferred to another robot with three phrases "Im sorry" "I don't know" and "I can't." So as my husband attempted to sort things on the phone with the China Eastern rep, I called a Flighthub rep. The Flighthub rep informed me that this was China Eastern's fault and that they needed to fix the situation, while the lady at the desk is telling me that it is Flighthub's problem. The Flighthub rep asked me if he could speak directly to the China Eastern desk rep so I handed her my phone and informed her that he wanted to speak with her. She threw up her hands and kept saying "NO," refusing to take my phone. This went back and forth, each attendant blaming the other, acting like a bunch of children.. Meanwhile, the only solution that the China Eastern rep (on phone) had was that we could get on the exact same flight in two days from that time, which would leave us with the same Visa problem. Not a solution at all.
RouteEdmonton to Kathmandu
Date FlownMay 2017

"the worst airline experience"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Osaka via Shanghai. Flying with China Eastern was the worst airline experience I've ever had. On my way back to the United States from Japan, I was told at check-in that although my reservation was supposed to be Osaka > Kunming > San Francisco, that I would actually be stopping in Shanghai for a quick plane change before going to Kunming. I asked them if I needed a 3rd boarding pass for that in-between time or if they could provide an itinerary with the times and they said it would be unnecessary because it wasn't a full layover and staff would help us once we were in Shanghai. When I got to Shanghai, we had to go through Chinese customs. All of us with this route were taken together by staff. However, I was the only non-Chinese citizen and was held back. They said they needed my new boarding pass or an itinerary to let me through. I went to the China Eastern desk in Shanghai to see if they would provide this, they refused, so I went back to customs. Basically I kept being sent back and forth between customs and the China Eastern desk for hours that I eventually got left by staff and all the other passengers were taken to Kunming and I was left stranded in Shanghai with no clue what to do. After about 6 hours of this they finally re-booked me on a direct flight back to San Francisco from Shanghai. But the staff was extremely rude and yelled at me for not forcing my way through customs (although all they needed to do was print my itinerary for me and it wouldn't have been a problem). After being re-booked I was taken to another area to wait for another hour for a shuttle to take me to a hotel (it was about 1am at this point). The shuttle finally came and it was an unmarked van driven by two casually dressed men. I waited in the shuttle for an hour with no update about where we were going and when we were leaving. Eventually other passengers started being loaded in. They filled up the van completely, with people standing in corners (and once again, this is just a normal van, not a bus or anything meant to be stood inside of). We got to the hotel and the hotel told us that we were going to have to share rooms with other passengers. Luckily there were some Chinese people in the group who knew they were just trying to scam us and talked the hotel staff into giving us our own rooms. Therefore, it's clear what sort of sketchy hotel China Eastern had chosen for us. Luckily the next morning I was able to get out on my new flight but only after about 8 hours of being mistreated by their staff. I will never fly them again no matter how cheap and would never suggest anyone else do either.
RouteSan Francisco to Osaka via Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"customer service is zero"

Verified Review | Vancouver to Delhi via Shanghai with my family (my two daughters 9 and 2 yrs, my wife). On check-in I requested to give me front seat, they denied to me, told me its 1st come 1st serve. After boarding they serve dinner. I already booked Asian vegeterian meals which was confirmed. But they served my family non veg. I showed my itenary which shows all veg meal confirmed. They told me they dont have any information about it. Then they serve us a dessert, rice, pok choy and bread roll - we returned our meal. After 9 hour they serve the meal again, and I thought the crew will find some veg meal for us as we were super busy ate nothing for last 12 hours. But at the end I find all the pessengers were served meal except us. I ask them where is our meal, they replied only non veg left and run away. It was disgusting they know we are vegetarian - they even dont try to serve fruits or some veg salads. I asked one of the crew member to call the supervisior or give me the complaint book, and finally she went and bring two asian vegeterian meal. I was shocked they told me they dont have this meal twice, and only when i got mad they give me this meal. Also most of the crew dont know the basic English, it was hard to communicate with them. Their customer service is zero.
RouteVancouver to Delhi via Shanghai
Date FlownOctober 2017

"much below what you expect"

Verified Review | Moscow to Xian. worst ever experience. The baggage was 3.5 days delayed! No compensation were given for the clothes I needed to buy. The customer service redirected me to the airport and stopped replying. In general, service, food, drinks are much below what you expect from business class.
RouteZurich to Xian via Moscow
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"No signs or help from ground staff"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Toronto via Shanghai. Flight delayed from 2am to 15.00 so after complaining was transferred to Cathay Pacific (good) via Hong Kong to Kuala Lumpur. Return flight on 26 Sept. delayed from 2am to 4am and sat in departure lounge until 4am and then told to come back for 10am departure, only given $4 food voucher for burger King! We were told bad weather in Shanghai (checked online and 32 deg and raining only). So they delayed telling us to come back at 10am to avoid the 8 hour hour notice to avoid giving us hotel. Left at 10am and arrived at Shanghai 3pm, connecting flight at 12:15 pm was missed. No signs or help from ground staff. After 2 hours manged to get flight for next day at 9am via Tokyo to Toronto. Again had to queue for visa and then then for hotel. No one spoke a word of English! After another 3 hours (9pm now) put on bus to hotel 50 mins away. Arrived at 9.50 pm and after getting room got a terrible meal, and told them I need to leave by bus at 6 am. Slept at 11.45 pm but hotel manager banged on door at 4.55am telling me to check out and take bus for 5 am. No time so missed 5am bus and waited for 6.30am bus (again no food). Bus broke down 10 km from airport at 7.30am!. No explanation no instructions!. So flagged a taxi and taxi took me to wrong terminal even after I showed him the flight info! By now its 8.15am so scrambled and pushed my way through security and immigration to board plane at 8.50am. Relief but not for long - my seat screen not working. Glad to land in Tokyo (different world) and board Air Canada to Toronto, arriving 27 hours later than original flight and after traveling for 52 hours!
RouteKuala Lumpur to Toronto via Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"worst airline I've ever flown"

Verified Review | Sydney to Hong Kong via Shanghai. By far the worst airline I've ever flown with in my life. Staff are terrible, can barely speak English, food is inedible, no spirits are available, customer care is non existent, entertainment systems are extremely poor, cabin was dirty etc Etc. We are Qantas platinum frequent flyers - we agreed to fly with China Eastern after being assured that our Platinum status points/frequent flyer points would be equal to those given on Qantas and that we would have the same level of service. This was a downright lie - no status credits, barely any points ans non existent service. I was horrified at the lack of care from the China Eastern staff - they clearly don't care about the customer, they turn the lights off as soon as the first "meals" are served and you are expected to simply be quiet for the remainder of the flight. We fly home on Tuesday and I am dreading the flight. I thought Jetstar was the most budget-style airline you could get, but CEA takes the cake. The worst part about it is that the Qantas flights were actually cheaper. I've learnt my lesson, never ever again! Avoid at all costs.
RouteSydney to Hong Kong via Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"people smoking in the bathrooms"

Verified Review | Flew business class roundtrip from New York JFK to Shanghai. On the return trip, we had 15 hours of turbulence, the cabin was hot, and there were people smoking in the bathrooms. I notified a flight attendant and in in broken English she responded "Yes, it's ok". I was woken mid-flight and asked if I wanted meal service and was unable to get back to sleep. Unlike most airlines and business class, on China Eastern you cannot get any refreshments outside of scheduled meal times. The bathrooms ran out of toilet paper and required cleaning.
RouteNew York JFK to Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"terrible treatment of passengers"

Verified Review | New Delhi to San Francisco via Shanghai. This was probably our worst flying experience. The worst part was our treatment in Shanghai, we had to spend 18 hours in Shanghai and the airline did not provide any food or accommodation and did not take care of food preferences on the next day flight. Worst of all, they asked for money to store out luggage for extra 18 hours as if it was our fault that were stranded there. Our flight from Delhi to Shanghai was delayed by 6 hours. We were provided food vouchers but no place to stay in a lounge. This was inconvenient, but treatment was okay. Our layover in Shanghai was only 1.5 hours, so we missed Shanghai - San Francisco flight. They put us on the next day's flight, meaning we had to stay at the airport for 18-19 hours. They did not provide any accommodation even though we asked for it repeatedly. We are from India and eat vegetarian food, and no food was provided for all 18 hours. They asked us for 13,000 INR (about 200 USD) for storing our luggage for 18 hours. That is ridiculous. We did not pay. As a result, they gave our luggage back and we had to check it in again the next day! Our preference for Shanghai to SFO was vegetarian food, but they said in the next day flight that the preference applied to last day's flight only, and they don't have any vegetarian food. So, we were without food during the flight too. I cannot recommend enough to keep away from this airline. Terrible service, and terrible treatment of passengers!
RouteNew Delhi to San Francisco via Shanghai