China Eastern Airlines

"return flight the most horrifying"

Verified Review | Seoul to San Francisco via Qingdao. I am doing this review for the sake of the passengers who are thinking of taking China Eastern Airlines as their carrier to their next destination. Your hard earned money will never be worth it by flying this company. The outbound flight from San Francisco to Seoul Korea via Pudong Airport was seamless. However, you cannot check in online if the ticket you purchased was not directly from their website. Check in in San Francisco was prompt. No hotel accommodation if you are changing flights between two different airports. I used the Mercure Hotel outside of Hongqiao Airport in Shanghai. The return flight was the most horrifying. First, the check in agent could not use my ticket. Someone perhaps already “checked me in online”. I have informed the check in agent that I have not done so, and basically they are calling me a liar for saying that. The whole ordeal of trying to figure out what happened to my reservation, after calling the Shanghai office, took about an hour; just to sort out the problem of which CE could have handled properly. The hotel accommodation I was provided was located at the outskirts of Pudong. I was arriving at Hongqiao about 9:45 p.m. local time, and the travel between these two airport is about an hour with no traffic. The person who picked me up transported me into a family size car with no signs whatsoever that it partners or contracts with CEA. One will be freaked out if they do not put enough courage to trust the driver and staff who spoke no English. Handsome Hotel in New Pudong Area, this hotel makes you feel as if you were in North Korea. Morning came as I connect to my other flight, I made it Qingdao. My flight from Qingdao to San Francisco was scheduled to depart at 12:30 p.m. local time. 12:00 p.m. came, no announcement that the flight will be delayed. No reason, no staff, no explanation. One, two, three hours passed no staff to explain to their passengers what the deal is. You get one staff who spoke only Chinese and a bit frustrated if you ask her to translate in English whatever she just announced in the paging system. Finally we were provided with packed meal with a whole bunch of preserved side dishes. Still no explanations as to why our flight is delayed. Came 8 o’clock p.m., finally our plane was on-sight and the gate agents started to finally show up. Passengers were aggravated and just angry about the whole ordeal. CEA should always put a gate agent or a customer service representative to provide information regarding up to the minute information about the flight. We were left out with no clue for 8 hours, we were not allowed to leave the airport because our passports were already stamped as “departed” and we were not allowed to do so by the immigration officials. We were delayed for a total of 9 hours, with no palatable meal, no explanation, no sense of compassion from the staff about our flight. At 8:30 p.m. we boarded the flight to San Francisco and some of the passengers became very physically obnoxious to the CEA agents. I could only understand their frustration. CEA should not even be in business if they continue to observe this kind of business relationship with its customers.
RouteSeoul to San Francisco via Qingdao
Date FlownJuly 2017

"would fly with them again"

Verified Review | Chicago to Denpasar via Shanghai. I was a bit nervous about this airline, but actually I was fairly impressed. The aircraft was new and clean with TVs in each seat. The economy seats were comfortable and had some recline. There was a selection of Hollywood movies as well as Chinese movies. Some of the foreign movies had English subtitles, some did not. There was also some Chinese TV but very few American shows. There was no WiFi on my flight, and they ban cell phone use. The staff was courteous and understood English, but don't expect to have a conversation with them. This flight was overnight. My main gripe was that they would turn on all the lights in the cabin and make announcements every 4 hours or so to serve food, even in the middle of the night. The food selection was hit or miss. They had the option of Western or Chinese food and some sodas to pick from or tea. They came through the cabin every hour or two to serve water. Overall, exceeded my expectations and I would fly with them again.
RouteChicago to Denpasar via Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"No rebooking. No refunds"

Verified Review | Shanghai to Melbourne. We got off to a bad start when after my JFK - PVG flight landed I was told the Shanghai to Beijing portion was cancelled. As I collected my bags and headed up to the ticket counters to rebook, get a hotel, and wait for the next flight, I was stopped by a young man who was Airport Services looking for lost tourists and he took me to a grumpy ticket agent. A scrap of paper was handed over to me with a new flight number and time. I asked for a hotel. I was told there was no hotel because it was a domestic flight. I said I've just come in from New York, but I was told no hotel, no refund, just given a paper slip with a flight number and time handwritten on it. It gets better. When I said, I need a hotel to staff, he said he knew a place. He asked me if I had a credit card. Well, I could just get my insurance to pay for a night. He drove me to Hotel Land and negotiated a $250 AUD room with a scrummy Chinese breakfast. I paid. I was tired, in need of a shower and figured - insurance, that's why you get it. The next day, I have a 1:10pm flight and they said that getting the 10am shuttle from the hotel would mean I'd have plenty of time if there was traffic and security delays. I agreed. I did not want to be late or miss a flight. I get to the airport at 10:06am. Check in took 40 minutes. Security 10 minutes, and then the tranquility of a near dead terminal. Forty minutes until boarding and I'm ready to go. Oh - gate change, here's a boxed lunch for your trouble, flight's delayed for a bit. After all these announcements, I ask the woman next to me how long she thinks a bit of a delay will be. Her response, about four hours. After three hours, we are hustled onto a plane that has magically appeared. We actually board. On the plane, my seat has that concave, butt dent and forward tilt that makes me want to sit on my hands, a book, anything to stop me from tilting out into the seat ahead, but it doesn't matter. I fall asleep and then a stewardess says "We're not sure how long we're going to be here so, the captain has asked us to get off." Its about 5 o'clock now. Another dinner, more hours and finally "your flight is cancelled!" It's 8pm. That's when the fighting starts. No rebooking. No refunds. If you want out, its $3600 to get back to Sydney. Take it or leave it. I took it.
RouteShanghai to Melbourne
Date FlownJuly 2017

"cabin staff service are terrible"

(China)

Verified Review | Kunming to Guangzhou. Ground service nice and I don't need to wait a long time to get my boarding pass, but I need to go through the the whole airport to get to the Lounge. Lounge offers meals and staff lead me to the airplane. Boeing 737-800 with entertainment system in first class and a new plane with 12 domestic first class seats. The cabin staff service are terrible and food taste bad. China Eastern is better than Air China but still need to improve their cabin service.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteKunming to Guangzhou
Date FlownMay 2017

"Very bad management"

Verified Review | Nanjing to Sydney. It is now 5.5 hr delays which they have been pushing back further every hour. No clear information and no solution to work out. Very bad management of the situation, and no clear information, and most disappointing. The cheap price isn't worth the uncertainty. I don't mind the lack of amenities, but it is an airline, not a parking space operator. Waiting indefinitely is not part of the deal, and if you are flying on congested routes then you ought to have a backup plan.
RouteNanjing to Sydney
Date FlownJuly 2017

"business like attitude from staff"

Verified Review | China Eastern website is net easy to navigate but I was finally able to choose a seat after spending some time to search. Check in at Los Angeles for my flight to Seoul via Shanghai was quick and professional. Agents at the gate were very business like. The B777 appeared very new and was clean. The business like attitude continued with the flight attendants throughout the flight - courteous but never warm. The plane was only about 60% full so there was a lot of room to stretch out. Food and IFE were adequate and not unlike other airlines I have flown. PVG is a big airport and the CE staff were again business like. I did not interact with the gate agent for my Seoul flight so nothing to say there. Flight to Seoul was 100% full. Left a little late but arrived on time. Flight attendants were methodical and never smiled. At times they could seem a little rude. Since I don't speak Chinese I could never understand them but they seemed a little curt to most of the passengers. Overall I got to where I wanted to go on a clean plane and generally on-time for an amazing price. Food and IFE were reasonable and my bags got arrived when I arrived.
RouteLos Angeles to Seoul via Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"very bad experience"

Verified Review | Avoid China Eastern if possible. I flew with them 3 times from Beijing to Shanghai and every single flight was delayed. When I asked them why? They always gave the same answer: "bad weather conditions" even there was no bad weather in China. When I asked how long is the flight delayed? They said :"no time". So you might wait up to 7 hours at the airport. Besides this they do not communicate with passengers, provide terrible service, and they have horrible food onboard. I think the real reason is the issue with a air traffic control. Very bad experience!
RouteBeijing to Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2017

"cancelled due to bad weather"

Verified Review | Shanghai Hongqiao to Beijing. I used mileage to redeem this flight and originally I booked MU5119 which departs at 1700. When I arrived at the airport, I was told that MU5119 and two more subsequent flights were cancelled due to bad weather in Beijing. At the ticket counter, I was offered MU5125 to depart at 2000, but at the check-in counter, the staff told me that MU5117 schedule to depart at 1600 but delayed until further notice still have a seat. Meals were provided at the gate during dinner time and we took off at 2128. This flight was operated by a new A330-300 aircraft, the IFE was responsive. I appreciated the help from the airport staff.
AircraftA330-300
RouteShanghai to Beijing
Date FlownJune 2017

"ridiculous refusal of check-in"

(China)

Verified Review | Shanghai Hongqiao to Shenzhen. When arriving at Shanghai about 2.5 hrs before departure, I was told that the originally booked flight had been cancelled and I was rebooked to a later flight. Flight delay and cancellation in China due to weather condition are quite normal. I went to check-in counter just to find that aircraft was still at Beijing and I was refused for check-in. I was told to wait till the aircraft departed from Beijing. I had to stand somewhere in the termincal with my big luggage. It is terrible and I never had such ridiculous refusal of check-in. After standing almost 30 minutes, I was pointed to a check-in manager, who helped me get my boarding pass and luggage checked in. Flight was delayed by almost 2 hours. Flight was smooth and service on board quite attentive. Seat was old version of business class seat, which was used as first class for domestic flight. Seat was very uncomfortable in sit position, but quite comfy when in flat position for a short flight of 2 hours.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteShanghai Hongqiao to Shenzhen

"Poor customer service"

Verified Review | New York to Seoul via Shanghai. Worst experience with this airline. Poor customer service round trip from the helpless crew in JFK to the rude and lost in Shanghai. They rather have empty seats unfilled, and customer comfort is not a priority wish I could say more. Never again for sure.
RouteNew York to Seoul via Shanghai