China Eastern Airlines

"No updates and no service"

Trip Verified | 2nd time this week flown with Eastern and the usual no communications service given. 1 hour delay then sat in plane for an hour then deplaned and waited at gate for a new plane for hours. No updates and no service. This flight was booked about 12 weeks ago and they have moved the departure day twice. Chinese airlines are new to planes and they cant treat their customers like they do in a domestic sales situation. I trade out of hundreds of factories in China and most have a one sale attitude and dont understand they should treat customers well to keep reciprocal trade. Eastern still has that mindset but international customers won't tolerate flight changes, late service and lack of communications. Get your act together!
RouteShanghai to Brisbane
Date FlownJune 2018

"missed my connecting flight"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Shanghai was delayed by 2 hours and I missed my connecting flight to Osaka as a result. China Eastern put me overnight in a hotel and provided a shuttle bus to and from the hotel. The hotel provided dinner and breakfast on the following day. The airline provided 2 meals and a snack on the SFO - PVG flight. The food onboard and inflight entertainment are okay. The free Wi-Fi onboard is alright, but not many websites and apps can be browsed due to restrictions. I appreciated the airline putting me up in a hotel, rather than spend the night at Pudong airport.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A321
RouteSan Francisco to Osaka via Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2018

"unreliable customer service"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to New York via Shanghai. Due to weather, the airline decided to dump us off at Chicago O'Hare airport instead of our final destination to NYC. At their counter, we were told we would receive a full refund for our flight from Shanghai to NYC plus any expenses for hotel stays and buying our own ticket to find our ways back to NYC. My refund took months! I had to contact customer service multiple times and each time I had to argue with them about what i was told at the Chicago desk. When I finally heard from them about the process of my refund, they would not refund me the flight from Shanghai to NYC. The only customer rep I trusted was the manager at the O'Hare desk. When I inquired why they left out the flight refund, he said their staff were incorrect in stating they would refund passengers for the ticket. When I asked why this happened, he said HQ at that time told them they would, but that they changed their mind on it. Shady airline, unreliable customer service. They only stay in business because their tickets are the cheapest.
RouteBangkok to New York via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"uncomfortable seats"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Beijing. An uncomfortable configuration aircraft with difficult and uncomfortable seats. On Time flight, poor meal and no entertainment. Quick ground service, but: when you encounter a problem there is no reference, and customer service ignores any duty.
RouteShanghai to Beijing
Date FlownMay 2018

"I wouldn’t recommend this airline"

(China)

Trip Verified | Guangzhou to Shanghai. Customer Service is woeful. Unfortunately, I have to regularly fly with this airline so I became a member of the Eastern Miles Club in order that I could accrue some points. I didn’t want the points so much as recognition for the flights. Because I am a westerner, I am almost always get placed up the back of the plane with the other westerners. So, I thought, if they recognise me after all these flights, I might move to the front. For the last 3 months, I have had a new passport (a renewal). We are not allowed to update our accounts with the passport number, we need to call the hotline. I called the hotline and they told me helpfully to email the details to their help desk. I emailed the help desk and they told me I need to call the hotline. And so it goes, back and forth, neither party willing to do anything at all beyond what they want to do or need to do. After 7 emails, with the same request, I am frustrated and stuck. They wont upgrade the passport number and they wont recognise the points. I cant “start again” because that would mean buying a new mobile phone number. When flying with them, could someone please advise the airline that airline issued earphones plugged into their entertainment system, does not affect flight controls. With religious fervor, literally 30 -40 mins before we land, everything is cleared and closed. No phones, no headphones, no entertainment, no kindles - nothing. Sit still and read Chinese Duty Free magazines. Ground staff at check in - very business like, process bound and perfunctory. They remind me every time, what I am about to face over the next few hours. Generally speaking, I have found cabin staff good. They just don’t enforce the rules, particularly as it relates to other passengers playing videos on high volume while we are taking off! I ended up fixing the problem myself. I wouldn’t recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteGuangzhou to Shanghai

"no customer service"

Trip Verified | I had the worst time with China Eastern for my flight Paris to Brisbane via Shanghai. I only found out at Paris airport that my 2nd flight was cancelled and that the company put me in another flight 24 hours later. I got stuck in Shanghai for 29 hours while I was supposed to be back at work. They didnt apologise, didnt give me any explanation, didn't try to put me in another flight, staff were extremely rude and I had to ask to have an hotel booked and paid by them. (I went to see 3 different desks and all of them acted the same). The hotel they took me was in the middle of nowhere, dirty and no-one could speak English. Yes, the tickets are cheap but I would not recommend this company because if something happens they would not care and they have no customer service.
RouteParis to Brisbane via Shanghai
Date FlownMay 2018

"never fly with them again"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Cebu via Shanghai. The flat bed was okay but that’s all. It is very annoying that they don’t have a menu for each passenger to read, they just go to your seat and show you the menu and you don’t even have time to think because there’s only 2 choices! So after the take off i slept and missed the dinner but when i woke up I asked them what’s for dinner and they gave me 2 choices. I got the chicken but it was so bad like it was a bit cold and they did not even bother to heat it up. In the menu there were lists of dessert like ice cream so I asked them if they have any and they just laugh and said “oh no ice cream”. They don’t have some chips but they have some left over chocolates. The entertainment system has very limited choices. I mean if you will spend for business class maybe just go for a better airlines and you’ll pay the same amount of money and will surely get what you’re paying for. My luggage was supposed to be part of the priority ones but it came out very late! Also the flight from Shanghai to Cebu was also very disappointing as they dont have dinner and the flight attendant told me it is because it is only a 3 hour and 50 minutes flight. I will never fly with them again!
RouteLos Angeles to Cebu via Shanghai
Date FlownMay 2018

"how bad this airline is"

Trip Verified | New York to Manila via Shanghai. I booked December 2017, my mistake was i read the reviews after I booked the flight. From then i kept on checking my flights online and until march 30 it was valid until i didn't see my flight from Shanghai to Manila. I called the airline right away, but their customer service cant speak enough English that the only thing they told me was “no information” 5 times. Every week i kept calling until a manager told me that my Shanghai to Manila flight was cancelled and its either they rebook my ticket or refund. But according to reviews, they dont really get the refund so i just asked for a rebook. I arrived in Shanghai in 7pm and the flight they book me going to Manila was the next day 6:55pm. I didnt argue and just accept the flight without any compensation, free hotel. I waited in the airport for almost a day without social media. After I arrived in shanghai, i didn't know that i have to get out and get a 24 hr transit since my flight will be the next day. And i couldn't check in a well because it was to early for the next day flight. I can go on and on about how bad this airline is.
RouteNew York to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2018

"the flight wasn't too bad"

c✅ Trip Verified | vSingapore to Seoul via Shanghai. Decent flight with reasonable entertainment and price worth. I bought my tickets to 2 weeks before the trip. It was about at least SGD500 cheaper than Korea Air, Asiana and SQ during cherry blossom season in Korea. Noting that this flight was cheaper than Scoot (budget airline). This was my first flight with this airline and I was prepared for the worst and hoping that I am safe and my luggage were in the right place. Turns out that the flight wasn't too bad. Service was nice, food and drinks were ok. I have a 2hr stop over in Shanghai and everything was on time. The seats were clean. Other customers may not give you the most pleasant experience (a lot of noisy tour groups) but that is not within airline's control. They gave out pillows if you need. Blankets can be taken off plane if you want. One thing I dont like about this airline is their lack of control on how many cabin luggages a customer can bring in. So many customers brought 2 to 3 big bags that cannot even fit in cabin and a lot of customers were not able to use the cabin due to these greedy customers. It will be dangerous if this plane were to get any accident if you need to evacuate but you will probably get jammed along the way because too many luggage blocking the path. I haven't seen any other airlines allowing this before.
RouteSingapore to Seoul via Shanghai
Date FlownApril 2018

"They yelled at passengers"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Ho chi Minh via Shanghai. I traveled With my spouse and 2 little infants, I purchased children's seat and somehow they given separate seats. Two of under 2 old sons can't sit without us. System need to improve. Flight Shanghai to Ho chi Minh was delayed for 90 mins without any announcement. Ground staff need to improve. They yelled at passengers without any reason. All flight entertainment and meals was okay. Free hotels if flights layovers 12 hrs.
RouteLos Angeles to Ho chi Minh via Shanghai