Vote Now

China Eastern Airlines

"price almost half of Korean Air"

Verified Review | Toronto to Manila via Shanghai. At Toronto quick and efficient check in, lounge was fine, decent food drinks offered and seating was good. The crew managed to communicate with me in English just fine, the food choices were good and tasty - the drink list looked quite good but I stay away from alcohol when flying. Inflight entertainment was a bit limited but for my taste was ok - just a bit dated. The seat was perhaps a little too firm for me but being able to lay flat made all the difference. Transfer in Shanghai was simple, the lounge in Shanghai is very busy and it could use more comfortable seating and more food choices. Flight to Manila was delayed three hours do to atc issues and is common in China. For the price I paid (almost half of Korean Air or Cathay) they compare very favourably. Areas for improvement are meal presentation and for staff to come through the cabin more often inflight to see if the pax need anything. The IFE needs more choices and more recent titles. I didn't use the wifi as it was impossible to sign up in advance using the website from Canada - their website needs drastic improvement from the Canadian side certainly for non Chinese speakers. I found it impossible to register on the website for their frequent flyer program.
RouteToronto to Manila via Shanghai

"No screens, nothing"

(New Zealand)

Unverified | I flew China Eastern from Auckland to Shenzhen via Shanghai. I booked tickets for $650 one way, so the value wasn't bad. However, for a long haul flight (16 hours flying time in total) you'd expect there to be some form of inflight entertainment, but there was absolutely nothing. No screens, nothing. The food was average, and drinks were served occasionally - once every 3 or 4 hours unless you ask for one.
RouteAuckland to Shenzhen via Shanghai
Date FlownDecember 2016

"food is much improved"

Verified Review | Flew on MU565 from Shanghai to Singapore with China Eastern Airlines. I had a wonderful flight onboard this new B777-300ER. The check in staff was very helpful and efficient. The touch screen IFE is very sensitive and the seat is more than comfortable. The food is much improved compared to the past. Additional drink services available from the friendly crews. We departed and arrived on time. Overall, well done, China Eastern.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteShanghai Pudong to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"experience was not a great one"

Unverified | New York to Seoul via Shanghai. My experience flying with China Eastern was not a great one, particularly because of the small seats and the lack of decent entertainment to choose from. My shoulders were nearly in the seats next to me and it was a battle for the armrest for the 14 and 16 hour flights. The seats seemed very firm and weren't comfortable to rest in at all. It didn't help that the Chinese woman next to me kept spitting into a cup, making the loudest noises ever to do so. Aside from the small seats in Economy, the movie selection was not great by any means. I was able to choose from a couple that I found interesting, but I ran out of viable options pretty quickly thereafter. Lastly, I had purchased my tickets 5 months before the trip actually took place and had chosen aisle seats for every flight. On my way to New York, I was given my aisle seats. But on the way back, I was sat in a middle row seat, in the middle of the plane, for both legs of the trip. I was not at all thrilled. It didn't help that I became ill on the flight and was not able to freely walk around whenever I pleased. Overall, if it were up to me, I would never fly with China Eastern again. But with their prices being so low, it can be hard to pass up sometimes.
RouteNew York to Seoul via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"more than the worth it"

Verified Review | New York to New Delhi via Shanghai. I read all the reviews and was worried about travelling with China Eastern. Flight departed on time, check in crew did not even see my baggage weight (last time British Airways harassed me for check in baggage). Boarded flight, staff made every effort to communicate in English. They are pretty fluent and helpful, know the basics of conversation. Anyway, 10 hour layover in Shanghai, went pretty smooth and reached my destination. Book a premium airline business class ticket if you have higher expectations, more than the worth it for 500-800$ flights.
RouteJFK to DEL via PVG
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"do not recommend China Eastern"

Verified Review | Kunming to Vancouver. China Southern Airlines is much better than China Eastern. I flew back home a few days ago, and in my eticket my transit was in Guangzhou and they gave me a hotel to stay as my transit was for almost 12 hrs. But when I returned my connecting flight was in Kunming, and it was China Eastern instead of China Southern. The story was same almost 12 hrs of waiting time but China Eastern didn't gave me any hotel to stay - I had stay the whole night at passenger rest room and it was so painful. This was the first time my route was changed and I thought that it will be same. This time travelling back home to Canada was really painful and exhausting with China Eastern. I don't care about food, language etc but what bothers me is comfort. Every time I travelled through China Southern they gave me hotel with free breakfast. I do not recommend China Eastern Airlines.
RouteKunming to Vancouver
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"don't fly with this airline"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Vancouver via Shanghai. It's simple, don't fly with China Eastern if you don't speak the language or are traveling alone. I was an Australian solo female traveller and wow do I regret flying with this airline. The airline staff could not speak English in both Shanghai and Vancouver. The cabin staff could not speak English either and could not help me fulfil simple requests. The promises given to me by airline staff were not fulfilled by onboard staff and I was blamed for misunderstanding which was far for true. I found that customers who spoke the language were treated with first class service compared to those we didn't. Going forward, I highly suggest that the airline employ fluent English speaking people who can accommodate to those who don't speak the langauage especially when do operate out of Australia and Canada (both mainly English speaking countries). Don't fly with this airline.
RouteMelbourne to Vancouver via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"you get what you pay for"

(China)

Verified Review | Chicago to Guangzhou via Shanghai with China Eastern. I booked the ticket just 2 days before departure. The fare was quite low, but you just get what you pay for. Headphones were not provided until the plane reached the cruising altitude. You could do nothing during the 30-min period when the plane was taxiing to the runway. WiFi was unavailable during the whole flight. Flight map was also shut down until late. A flight attendant explained that this is because flight map was not allowed to see in US air space. What an unbelievable explanation I've ever heard about! Meals were really bad and no fresh fruits were provided. During the 14-hour flight, no snacks other than peanuts were available. Cabin service was nearly zero aside from meal and drink serving, and it seemed that some of the cabin crews were not willing enough to help the passengers. The planed arrived PVG 35 min ahead of schedule, but it was hold on the tarmac for nearly 45 min until we reached the gate. The second leg to Guangzhou was also all about waiting. We boarded the plane on time, but were hold for an hour before push back due to air traffic control. I finally arrived at CAN at 1:00am, hungry and exhausted. I will definitely avoid China Eastern next time, even though they might offer the lowest price.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteORD to CAN via PVG
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"not satisfied with the food"

(Indonesia)

Verified Review | Beijing to Shanghai. I don't have any expectation on using this airline since I don't know much about it. Ground service was okay, nothing special. When I boarded the aircraft it was clean and legroom was okay but no inflight entertainment and for some reason the seat still have 3.5 mm jack. Cabin crew was helpful. But I am not satisfied with the food served, since they only gave a lemon tea and nuts for 2 hours flight! I get the same price for domestic 2 hour flight with Garuda, and Garuda serve a full meal and inflight entertainment!
AircraftA330-300
RouteBeijing to Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"food on China Eastern dreadful"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Paris CDG via Shanghai. Cheap, but on flight out the first leg (by Air France) was delayed by 9 hours meaning arrival in Shanghai while the airport was closed and there was no access through the Transfer lounge. Food and service from Air France, to be fair, was excellent during the flight. All sectors flown by China Eastern (one out and two back) were endured, more than enjoyed. In common with other airlines they like to fly long legs with lights out, irrespective of the time of day at take-off, landing or midflight locations. Inflight entertainment was OK for English speakers but poor for Francophones on the China Eastern legs. Food on China Eastern was dreadful and the dinner service was poor. You get what you pay for, I guess.
RouteMelbourne to Paris via Shanghai