China Eastern Airlines

"terrible treatment of passengers"

Verified Review | New Delhi to San Francisco via Shanghai. This was probably our worst flying experience. The worst part was our treatment in Shanghai, we had to spend 18 hours in Shanghai and the airline did not provide any food or accommodation and did not take care of food preferences on the next day flight. Worst of all, they asked for money to store out luggage for extra 18 hours as if it was our fault that were stranded there. Our flight from Delhi to Shanghai was delayed by 6 hours. We were provided food vouchers but no place to stay in a lounge. This was inconvenient, but treatment was okay. Our layover in Shanghai was only 1.5 hours, so we missed Shanghai - San Francisco flight. They put us on the next day's flight, meaning we had to stay at the airport for 18-19 hours. They did not provide any accommodation even though we asked for it repeatedly. We are from India and eat vegetarian food, and no food was provided for all 18 hours. They asked us for 13,000 INR (about 200 USD) for storing our luggage for 18 hours. That is ridiculous. We did not pay. As a result, they gave our luggage back and we had to check it in again the next day! Our preference for Shanghai to SFO was vegetarian food, but they said in the next day flight that the preference applied to last day's flight only, and they don't have any vegetarian food. So, we were without food during the flight too. I cannot recommend enough to keep away from this airline. Terrible service, and terrible treatment of passengers!
RouteNew Delhi to San Francisco via Shanghai

"meal was so poor"

(China)

Verified Review | Xi'an to Xining by MU2307 on July 6th. My seat was 7L in the first class. The seat is light color. I haven't sat in any seats like this before. The meal was so poor that it was only contain six pieces of fruit and two cakes. However, cabin crew were patient and friendly.
RouteXi'an to Xining
Date FlownJuly 2017

"attendant was very rude"

Verified Review | Beijing to Sydney via Nanjing. I checked in at about 12pm midday on 1st September at the Business Class counter in Beijing. The male attendant was very rude. He snapped at me and during the entire 10 minutes or so, he did not look me in the eye, say hello, please, thank you or good bye once. He did not smile at all, other than when he asked his assistant to explain to me that they didn't know where my bags were and that there was no lounge in Beijing. When I was boarding, I was the 2nd in line. When I reached the counter, another male ground staff member snapped at me to stand to the side. I watched as dozens of Economy class passengers passed through. When I asked what was wrong, he snapped back at me, again while looking at the table rather than at me, that Business class passengers had a VIP bus. Then when there were no economy class passengers left, he let me through. When I reached the boarding access-way we had to go down the stairs. A female ground-staff member asked for my boarding pass, and when she saw that I was a Business Class passenger she shouted to the bottom of the stairs, what I presume to be “He’s Business Class, he’s Business Class”. When I reached the bottom of the stairs I was directed away from the transport bus which was right there, to another bus about 20m away between some pylons and other things on the tarmac. The VIP bus then arrived last at the plane and we waited again for all the Economy passengers to board and I was about the last to board the plane, having been about the first in line when the gate first opened.
RouteBeijing to Sydney via Nanjing
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"our flight was cancelled"

(China)

Verified Review | We booked First class tickets from Xi'an to Shanghai. In the morning, we got message on our mobile that our flight was cancelled due to thunder shower at Shanghai and were asked to rebook our ticket. We tried almost whole morning to get connected. There was no special line for First class passengers. Then we were informed that all flights on the same days were fully booked and we had to fly on the afternoon of next day or we had to rebook the tickets at airport. We rushed to airport just to find that hundreds passengers were waiting and there was no First class counter. After long time waiting, we were given 2 options: one to fly the next afternoon and the other to fly to WUX, an airport 150km away from Shanghai. When asking possibilities to transit somewhere, I was told that MU can only fly us once to any airports we wanted and we had to pay for additional flights to PVG. What a joke! We had to accept flying to WUX. We sat in the lounge from 6PM to 2:30AM before flight took off at 3:00AM. To my most surprise, after 10:30PM, there was no staff in the lounge and there were no snacks or food any more. There were only very loud automatic announcements saying “We are sorry to announce that flight… was delayed or cancelled” repeated endlessly. Arriving at WUX, we booked a taxi to Shanghai, of course paying all costs ourselves. I recommend to take airlines other than MU should you wish to travel in China. HU and CZ are much much better. Or high speed train is another good option.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteXIY to WUX

"Very unpleasant staff"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Shanghai to Moscow. The departure delayed 2 hours. All the passengers waited before a departure gate all this time with no information about a current departure time. The airline provide an extremely old plane A330-200 for a long (almost 10 hours) flight. The seats are almost broken and uncomfortable. No entertainment system like TV, international radio,veriety of music etc, except few main TV's in a main row of seats with a Chinese movie without any translation. Also radio was in Chinese? but the earphone plug was broken. Staff speaks English in intermediate level. After the take off I ask the person for changing a place, since the first row was free. She allow me to do it and I move all my stuff to a new place. After few minutes she returned and told me I must go back since this place cost additional money. Very unpleasant staff. China Eastern it is a far cry from Aeroflot I usually fly. It was my first, but definitely a last flight with this airline.
AircraftA330-200
RouteShanghai to Moscow
Date FlownAugust 2017

"crew helpful and friendly"

(China)

Verified Review | Xining to Xi'an on July 9th. It was my first time to flew in first class with China Eastern Airlines. The crew were helpful and friendly. I'm not satisfied with the food because there were only two cakes and some fruit. The seat was very comfortable so I fell sleep in a short time. The inflight entertainment contained latest films.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteXining to Xi'an
Date FlownJuly 2017

"Avoid taking China Eastern"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Fuzhou via Shanghai. Avoid taking China Eastern Airlines at all cost. First of all, the flight from JFK was delayed for four hours. The scheduled departure was 4:25pm, and the plane didn't leave until 8:15pm. Upon arrive on PVG, the customers were informed that the transferred flight from Shanghai to Fuzhou has already departed. The flight from PVG to FOC is under the same flight number MU588. The flight departed as the customers are arriving at PVG. Worst of all, they don't have anything arranged for another flight until the next day.
RouteNew York to Fuzhou via Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2017

"attendants keep shouting loudly"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Xian via Shanghai. The female cabin attendants keep shouting loudly to passengers seated on aisle seats "Be careful, Be careful!" as they pass by pushing food/drink wagons, instead of "Excuse me!" Their level of English proficiency is very low. Almost none of them speak Japanese, either. No information is given by China Eastern on Internet that passengers with economy tickets must pay for wine on international flights. No charge for beer, however. The flight from Xian to Shanghai on Aug. 7 was delayed more than 90 minutes; however, no explanations for the delay were made available to passengers at all. Consequently, I missed my connecting flight 539 from Shanghai to Tokyo Haneda. Again, I was left in complete limbo as to if I would be able to get on another flight. And if so, which flight? Even if I wanted to ask for somme information at the boarding gate for Haneda flight, there were no ground crew available there for two hours! Where as the Japanese keep on apologizing in such circumstances without giving enough information for delays, the Chinese never apologize whatsoever.
AircraftA330 / A320
RouteTokyo to Xian via Shanghai

"food was low quality"

Verified Review | I have never been on a more neurotic airline than China Eastern. Let me explain. For the flight from Diqing to Kunming you cannot use headphones upon take off or landing, which is absolutely ridiculous. They refused to take off in the rain which delayed my flight 6 hours. The food was low quality, but expected given the price. There is no beverage choice.
RouteDiqing to Kunming
Date FlownAugust 2017

"worth cheap price of ticket"

Verified Review | New York to Fuzhou. The crew was really nice and seats were also comfortable since it can be rotated 180 degrees. They gave us free wifi. Even though it wasnt that great you can still watch something on youtube on 240p with a vpn. The food was not that great though. For the inflight entertainment there was a selection of western and eastern movies and tv shows. The experience was worth the cheap price of the ticket.
RouteNew York to Fuzhou