China Eastern Airlines

Review by (Singapore)

Arrived early, made seat request. Check in staff totally ignored you and gave you seat that was allocated. No explanation, nothing. No smile, no apologies. First and last time I will fly on China Eastern Airlines.
RouteShanghai to Singapore
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (China)

In summary, if you have another choice besides China Eastern, take it. The planes are modern and so are the entertainment systems, but that's about the only positive aspect. My main complaints are as follows: 1) The planes are rarely on time. I fly China Eastern frequently within China for business due to lack of choice (there are few domestic airlines and they're all about the same quality) and I would estimate that their on-time departure rate is less than 20%. If I'm only delayed one hour I feel lucky. On this particular flight we were stuck at the gate for ~1.5 hours. 2) Their policy on electronics is outdated. Mobile phones in flight mode cannot be used during the entire flight. Also, most other airlines now allow small electronics to be used during takeoff/landing, but not China Eastern. 3) I love Chinese food, but what they serve is awful. I'm from the US originally, and I thought US airline food/service was bad, but China Eastern takes "airline food" to another level of inedible. 4) The service is also not friendly and intrusive. When you want something like water it's hard to get their attention, however, when you're sleeping mid-flight they'll make it a point to wake you for the meal service.
RouteShanghai to Paris

China Eastern Airlines customer review

Review by (Czech Republic)

I flew from Taipei to Dubai via Shanghai and Kunming. The experience was horrible from beginning to end. I often take low-cost airlines (WizzAir, Ryanair), so my expectations of service quality are not high. But the huge difference is that those low-costs clearly state the limitations, so you know what to expect. Not China Eastern. My Economy ticket included 2 pieces of baggage of 23 kg (46kg in total). It wasn't written on my ticket, maybe because I bought it through Airtickets24. I arrived at the airport with one suitcase of 31 kg. They strongly insisted that I have to repack it to 2 separate pieces, so I had no choice but to buy a box and to check-in with two huge pieces of baggage (both half-empty. I will never understand the logic behind this (Economy plus and Bussines can check-in 2 pieces of 32kg, so it wasn't the problem that 31kg is too heavy for one piece). I was told that my baggage would be sent directly to Dubai, so I don't have to pick it up for my 14 hour over-night layover in Shanghai. But when I arrived there, they changed the info, I had to pick it up and spend extra money to store it at the airport. The check-in at the Pudong Airport in Shanghai was a mess. My flight wasn't listed on the board. I had to stand in the queue to ask where the check-in is and then stand in the long check-in queue for an hour. The staff were not nice at all, the flight attendants probably don't know what a smile is and they spoke to me only in Chinese, only after my puzzled look would they repeat it in English. The food was not edible and I got the noodles for all of the 3 meals? To be fair, the snacks that came with it were edible and drinks were OK, so I could eat something small. You are not allowed to use your phone even in flight mode during the whole flight. However, you are allowed to use your laptop, tablet or Kindle in flight modes. On the first flight we were waiting 1.5 hour for take-off, of course without the possibility of doing anything except sitting straight in our seats (even no reading). It was hot onboard after 5 hours. As I said: terrible experience.
RouteTPE to DXB via PVG
Date FlownAugust 2015

Review by (Netherlands)

1 hr flight within China. Booked in China but website doesn't take foreign credit cards. Booked via tour operator and that worked out fine. Surprised that MU-website showed sold out seats but there were plenty at the tour operator's site. Flight smooth. Limited English, snack literally thrown at me and attendants refused to collect the garbage. They just put it in the seat pockets. All in all quite ok.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteXian to Jiuzhaighou

Review by (Vietnam)

I have never experienced such a dreadful service. The flight from Ho Chi Minh to Shanghai was delayed and I was notified even considering that was an overnight flight. At the Ho Chi Minh airport no one took responsibility or tried to communicate with Shanghai to report the delay and ensure that passengers in transit can be transferred as soon as possible to the next flight. When I arrive in Shanghai it was even worse. The ground staff did not speak English, no one could help me or tell me where should I go to change my flight to Beijing. I had to pick up my luggage and find the check in counters and someone who can guide. Staff had limited English skills in a large international airport and I had to consult about 6 counter desks without any positive response. Finally I was booked in the next flight. And while waiting the staff at the business lounge told me that my flight did not have a time of departure and offered me to change me in another flight 1 hours after! No one could ensure if my luggage will be changed to the new flight even. As I said really the worse airline ever. I'm writing this waiting at the Shangai airport for my flight to Beijing (whenever that happen).
RouteHo Chi Minh to Beijing via Shanghai

Review by (Singapore)

PVG-SIN on Shanghai Airlines aircraft but operated as China Eastern flight. My previous trip with China Eastern Airlines a year ago was delayed 4-8 hours both directions, but I'd thought they would do better this time round. Both credit cards on ceair.com was repeatedly rejected and had to call the service hotline to make a booking. Airline hotline took the booking, but declined to take down my FF (told me to look for my partner airline, basically it is not their responsibility). Check-in directions were confusing at PVG (went to the wrong international flight counter) and check-in staff wasn't that helpful. Plane was new, but service left much to be desired. Blankets ran out halfway through the cabin and I was basically told "sorry but you are on your own!". The toilet was in a messy state (I will leave it at that). Passenger next to me decided upon himself to take up all 3 seats next to me and left his feet exposed while sleeping - the stench was unbearable and I had to tell the passenger off. The hard product means little if it is not backed by its service. There was good variety for food but it would have been unfamiliar for anyone outside of China. Considering that I paid over $1k for this economy ticket, this is one of the worst value for money I ever had.
RoutePVG to SIN

China Eastern Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

I flew business class. The seat was uncomfortable, but the worst thing happened on the ground. In both cases, I had to layover in Shanghai for 24 hours. The first time, they said it was my mistake. The second time, the plane was late, and the fellow pushing my wheelchair told my Chinese traveling companion that the plain would be delayed until 4 pm and then left us in a crowded, noisy, uncomfortable waiting room. The staff said they were going to give the passengers lunch - although I couldn't see how that would be possible. We went upstairs, fortunately there was an escalator there, ate and came back to find nowhere to sit, and no new information. We went back upstairs, and 30 minutes later were approached by a young man with a wheelchair. He did not speak English, but informed my companion the plane had left without us. Finally, they gave us a ticket to Bangkok and I had to pay for a hotel and he flights to Chiang Mai - about $400. Through it all the ground staff was rude, inconsiderate and unresponsive.
RouteYantai to Chiang Mai via Shanghai

Review by (China)

MU is certainly not my preferred airline in China, however on this route there is no choice. Plane left on time, clean and pretty new. The nuisances are: No recognition of your Gold Skyteam membership, bags even with priority tags always last on the belt, preparing for landing 30 minutes before actual touch down, which means they wake you up to put your chair upright and open up the sunshades. Cannot comment on food, as I do not eat airline food. Coffee is horrible watered down slightish brown liquid - no diet sodas. English? Forget it.
RouteDhaka to Shenyang via Kunming

Review by (Canada)

Vancouver to Beijing and Shanghai to Vancouver with 3 domestic flights: Beijing to Xi'an; Xi'an to Wuhan and Chongqing to Shanghai and was mostly satisfied. The long haul flights had pillows, blankets and headsets prepared on each seat. Three meals were provided with some choice and were decent by airline standards. A glass of wine was included with the main meal. Water was offered on a regular basis. Tea, coffee and soft drinks also available. Good selection of Chinese, International and Hollywood movies as well as games, e-books and other entertainment. On arrival in Shanghai Pudong we learnt that our ongoing flight to Beijing had been cancelled due to bad weather. Although we were transferred to an earlier flight we had to collect our luggage and collect new boarding passes which had already been prepared. This process was somewhat confusing and the boarding passes lay on the counter like a deck of cards with passengers randomly going through them to find their own. The information board showed that the new flight was delayed with no ETD or whether it would even be leaving that day. A rep came to explain the situation. He spent 10 minutes giving a Chinese explanation and in English, simply said we do not know. Suddenly he received a call on his mobile and said we may be boarding. After a mad rush to the gate it transpired that this was not the case after all and everyone returned to what seats were available, or the floor. Half an hour later the flight was officially called and we were on our way. The shorter, domestic flights offer food service but no entertainment. On one occasion we experienced a 2 hour delay after we had boarded the plane, due to a sudden storm. Dinner was served during this delay, before take off, and was a good use of time. I do not know what the flights cost as they were part of a tour package, but based on service and comfort I would recommend China Eastern Airlines.
RouteYVR to Beijing via Pudong/Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2015

China Eastern Airlines customer review

Review by (United States)

One our recent trip to China we flew China Eastern Airlines on 5 different planes and all were on time. The planes were new. The food was edible and plentiful. No complaints about this airline. We would fly with them again.
RouteLAX to PVG return