China Eastern Airlines

"the airline is cutting cost"

Trip Verified | I took China Eastern airlines flight from Shanghai to Singapore which departed at 0005am on 18th July 2018, on a business class, the seat was spacious, the meal on board was a disaster, the dim sum basket I ordered was so poor presentation and so little, I requested some champagne during my meal period, but only half glass champagne served, there was no refill offered. I believe that the airline is cutting cost. Ground staff was robotic, cabin crews were friendly on board.
RouteShanghai to Singapore
Date FlownJuly 2018

"not use this company anymore"

Trip Verified | Paris to Shanghai. The flight was on time and the flight crew friendly. Nonetheless I have negative points: the screens were put into service long after takeoff and we were told to remove our headphones long before landing, the meal was average and the amount Insufficient, the bread served after the meal, the wine was served in the bottle 0, 75cl and poor quality and finally my luggage did not arrive at destination. I travel very often but will not use this company anymore.
RouteParis to Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2018

"value for the price paid"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Manila via Shanghai. China Eastern offers a good business class product on the Boeing 777. The seats were lie flat and the in-flight entertainment was good but limited with the selection of movies. I took all Chinese offering for the meals and they were excellent. My Advice is to stick with the Chinese options do not go for western selection which is limited as the majority of passengers are Chinese one should follow the locals for meals. The cabin crew in Business class has one or two people who speak English. Seats are very comfortable I was able to sleep for 6 to 8 hours going to Shanghai. The bad is Shanghai as the new terminal is not open so all incoming China Eastern flights park at the new terminal then you get bused to current terminal. No issue with doing the transit it is simple just follow the signs and complete it with the electronic machines that read your passport and boarding card. Then off to the Business class security line which is where you may have to wait 10 to 15 minutes. Finally the last flight to Manila was great on a smaller Airbus A321. The seats were good and the dinner offered was either Chinese or Western. Again stick with the Chinese option. I saw one western guy take the western option which he did not eat and asked for the Chinese option after. Great value for the price paid plus the Sky miles earned.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2018

"I was pleasantly surprised"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | Manila to New York via Shanghai. I was hesitant to fly China Eastern because of the bad reviews I’ve read. But the fare was a bargain so I took the risk, and I was pleasantly surprised. Although the IFE was limited, there were enough good films that kept me entertained for 15 hours. Food was okay. The cabin crew were friendly and accomodating despite the language barrier. I would fly China Eastern again.
RouteManila to New York via Shanghai
Date FlownJune 2018

"No updates and no service"

Trip Verified | 2nd time this week flown with Eastern and the usual no communications service given. 1 hour delay then sat in plane for an hour then deplaned and waited at gate for a new plane for hours. No updates and no service. This flight was booked about 12 weeks ago and they have moved the departure day twice. Chinese airlines are new to planes and they cant treat their customers like they do in a domestic sales situation. I trade out of hundreds of factories in China and most have a one sale attitude and dont understand they should treat customers well to keep reciprocal trade. Eastern still has that mindset but international customers won't tolerate flight changes, late service and lack of communications. Get your act together!
RouteShanghai to Brisbane
Date FlownJune 2018

"missed my connecting flight"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Shanghai was delayed by 2 hours and I missed my connecting flight to Osaka as a result. China Eastern put me overnight in a hotel and provided a shuttle bus to and from the hotel. The hotel provided dinner and breakfast on the following day. The airline provided 2 meals and a snack on the SFO - PVG flight. The food onboard and inflight entertainment are okay. The free Wi-Fi onboard is alright, but not many websites and apps can be browsed due to restrictions. I appreciated the airline putting me up in a hotel, rather than spend the night at Pudong airport.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A321
RouteSan Francisco to Osaka via Shanghai

"unreliable customer service"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to New York via Shanghai. Due to weather, the airline decided to dump us off at Chicago O'Hare airport instead of our final destination to NYC. At their counter, we were told we would receive a full refund for our flight from Shanghai to NYC plus any expenses for hotel stays and buying our own ticket to find our ways back to NYC. My refund took months! I had to contact customer service multiple times and each time I had to argue with them about what i was told at the Chicago desk. When I finally heard from them about the process of my refund, they would not refund me the flight from Shanghai to NYC. The only customer rep I trusted was the manager at the O'Hare desk. When I inquired why they left out the flight refund, he said their staff were incorrect in stating they would refund passengers for the ticket. When I asked why this happened, he said HQ at that time told them they would, but that they changed their mind on it. Shady airline, unreliable customer service. They only stay in business because their tickets are the cheapest.
RouteBangkok to New York via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"uncomfortable seats"

(Israel)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Beijing. An uncomfortable configuration aircraft with difficult and uncomfortable seats. On Time flight, poor meal and no entertainment. Quick ground service, but: when you encounter a problem there is no reference, and customer service ignores any duty.
RouteShanghai to Beijing
Date FlownMay 2018

"I wouldn’t recommend this airline"

(China)

Trip Verified | Guangzhou to Shanghai. Customer Service is woeful. Unfortunately, I have to regularly fly with this airline so I became a member of the Eastern Miles Club in order that I could accrue some points. I didn’t want the points so much as recognition for the flights. Because I am a westerner, I am almost always get placed up the back of the plane with the other westerners. So, I thought, if they recognise me after all these flights, I might move to the front. For the last 3 months, I have had a new passport (a renewal). We are not allowed to update our accounts with the passport number, we need to call the hotline. I called the hotline and they told me helpfully to email the details to their help desk. I emailed the help desk and they told me I need to call the hotline. And so it goes, back and forth, neither party willing to do anything at all beyond what they want to do or need to do. After 7 emails, with the same request, I am frustrated and stuck. They wont upgrade the passport number and they wont recognise the points. I cant “start again” because that would mean buying a new mobile phone number. When flying with them, could someone please advise the airline that airline issued earphones plugged into their entertainment system, does not affect flight controls. With religious fervor, literally 30 -40 mins before we land, everything is cleared and closed. No phones, no headphones, no entertainment, no kindles - nothing. Sit still and read Chinese Duty Free magazines. Ground staff at check in - very business like, process bound and perfunctory. They remind me every time, what I am about to face over the next few hours. Generally speaking, I have found cabin staff good. They just don’t enforce the rules, particularly as it relates to other passengers playing videos on high volume while we are taking off! I ended up fixing the problem myself. I wouldn’t recommend this airline to anyone.
RouteGuangzhou to Shanghai

"no customer service"

Trip Verified | I had the worst time with China Eastern for my flight Paris to Brisbane via Shanghai. I only found out at Paris airport that my 2nd flight was cancelled and that the company put me in another flight 24 hours later. I got stuck in Shanghai for 29 hours while I was supposed to be back at work. They didnt apologise, didnt give me any explanation, didn't try to put me in another flight, staff were extremely rude and I had to ask to have an hotel booked and paid by them. (I went to see 3 different desks and all of them acted the same). The hotel they took me was in the middle of nowhere, dirty and no-one could speak English. Yes, the tickets are cheap but I would not recommend this company because if something happens they would not care and they have no customer service.
RouteParis to Brisbane via Shanghai