China Eastern Airlines

"prompt with drinks and food"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Singapore. After being initially concerned about our travel team booking me on China Eastern (prices were high due to Chinese New Year) I conceded to China Eastern. GATE: Quick and efficient. We were promptly placed on a bus to the plane. At the plane, the staff were waiting to check boarding passes (this was the only feeling of rush with passengers pushing to get onto the stairs for some reason) Boarding was friendly, they quickly identified me as a westerner and spoke decent English to welcome on board. Take off I was told to take my headphones off before take off which seems normal for China Eastern. The crew in Economy were young, but good with English. were prompt with drinks and food. They rotated the cabin with water almost every 20 minutes. Food was okay some Pork thing with rice and watermelon as the desert. Standard Economy food. IFE Screen was clear, but limited options. about 8 Blockbusters and only 10 TV options. Headphone socket was temperamental, but this seems to be the norm in economy now. I have to be honest to say it was more enjoyable than the Singapore Airlines flight I did on the way to Shanghai. In saying that, this was my first flight with China Eastern.
RouteShanghai to Singapore
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"chose because of it's low fare"

(China)

Trip Verified | I chose China Eastern from Guangzhou to Kunming mainly because of it's low fare and Kunming is the hub for China Eastern. The aircraft is Boeing 737 which is new and could provide 12 first class seats. However the cabin crew were too busy to provide a good service during the fight. The foodsin flight are too salty and the coffee is not hot enough.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteGuangzhou to Kunming
Date FlownMay 2017

"this is very untrustworthy"

Trip Verified | New York to Manila via Shanghai. I tried to get my middle name to delete one letter which a 3rd party made me put on. I went to the airport to try to get this changed as it was almost impossible to get anyone on the phone live and I did not have the time to wait. When I went to the airport with all the supporting documentation they did absolutely nothing to help me on the then scaring me into thinking that I would not be allowed to get through emigration in that I should buy in additional last minute ticket at 2 to 3 times the price. I tried numerous times while on vacation to rectify the problem and all they did was talk to me like I was in the 3rd grade and did absolutely nothing to help the which was a scare tactic. Of course on the very intelligent person and did not listen to anything they said and when on my trip and took the risk and of course immigration let me pass as I hide all the supporting documentation. I write this review because not everyone has the same intellect nor experience that I have and many people get scared and to find another last minute ticket which could be 2 to 3 times the price of the original ticket which to me and again this is just my opinion but to me this is very untrustworthy and is a scam in my opinion which is my right to state.
RouteNew York to Manila via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Service is awful and messy"

Trip Verified | Horrible airline! I supposed to take Jan 29tth China Eastern flight from Toronto to Shanghai, (too much to describe the details of the mess). Now on Jan 30 I am still stuck in the airport waiting with all the other same people. It’s horrible! Service is awful and messy. People are getting angry because we are just told the system still not fix yet and need few more hours to fix. That means we need to wait another day. And there is no any arrangement yet. This is my first time to try China Eastern airlines, I feel very upset!
RouteToronto to Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"worst airline I've ever flown"

Trip Verified | This is by far the worst airline I've ever flown. Flight was delayed for three hours causing me to miss my connecting flight from Shanghai to Guangzhou. The chairs were narrow with little to no leg room. Most flights allow you to use cellphone after 20-30 mins take off but phones are prohibited for the whole entire flight with this airline. After I landed in Shanghai, there was three employees to help about 70 people who needed accommodations. They just wrote a flight number on my boarding pass and told me to get my bag with no further instructions. They did provided transport to and from the airport but I almost missed it because they didn't announce that they were leaving in English, which I get that it's not a English speaking country but there were many foreigners like me that didn't understand what wasn't going on and just needed reassurance. We were driven to our hotel, more like cockroach tower, thirty mins away from the actual airport. The next morning I was driven back to the airport three hours in advance for a domestic flight. Needless to say after my first experience with China Eastern I wasn't looking forward for my trip back to Toronto with them. But oh boy, it got worst. My route was from Guangzhou to Shanghai then Toronto. On my flight was Guangzhou to Shanghai, a trip that usually take 1 hour and 30 mins took about 3 hour and 30 mins. The flight took off on time but due to some fog i Shanghai the plane landed in another airport to refuel. This was what they said and even writing it out now it made no sense. There was obviously a technical error on their end where they needed to stop at another airport to refuel. When I arrived in Shanghai, my flight to Toronto was actually delayed so I had a chance to still fly out that day. But I wasn't informed of this until after they told me to wait for my luggage, which took about 1 hour to come out, and by the time I got my luggage the flight already closed their doors. There were once again only three people to help ~40 people to redirect their flight. I was forced to stay a night again, another cockroach tower and this time even further from the airport. After all of this happened, when I was checking in, the employee was using his phone the whole time while checking me in. He was so invested on his phone that I had to tell him to give me back my passport after everything was done. This is not just one act of horrible customer service executed by china Eastern but multiple and to many paying customers.
RouteGuangzhou to Toronto via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"food options were all tasty"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Sydney. A complimentary limo service from Shanghai hotel to PVG which luckily arrived early, as the queues for security at PVG seemed endless. The PVG lounge was well equipped with showers and plenty of quiet zones with charging facilities and a good range of food and beverages. Better and more quiet in the upstairs area though. On board and closed up ready to go on time and arrived in SYD a little early. Seating layout was the older 2-2-2 but OK for a good sleep with the seats flat, although the cabin was kept a little too warm for my sleeping habits. Sleep took priority over IFE so I cannot comment on that. The food options were all tasty, with good, attentive service and plenty of snacks during the flight if needed. Spirit offerings eventually had to be refused as the servings were becoming a little too frequent. Good service levels on the return international flight. This was the first flight allowing phones to be switched on in flight mode following a relaxation of the rules by the government.
AircraftA330-200
RouteShanghai to Sydney
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"friendly staff and tasty meals"

Trip Verified | Sydney to Shanghai. Complimentary limo service to airport was appreciated with quick check-in on arrival. Skyteam lounge at SYD OK. Closed up and ready to go on time, but delay experienced at gate of 20 minutes with no explanation. Made up most of lost time on journey. Good service by friendly staff and tasty meals, both Western and Chinese options, with regular offers of wine and spirits throughout the trip. Lie flat seats were not tested as it was a daytime flight with the IFE system providing adequate entertainment options. Internal flights in China taken later to Harbin, Xining, Chengdu and Shanghai were on time with same good service levels.
AircraftA330-200
RouteSydney to Shanghai
Date FlownDecember 2017

"overall impression is positive"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Madrid to Shanghai, "old-style" Business class configuration (2-2-2). Seats are quite comfortable, fully reclinable, but very little privacy (if any). Boarding quite smooth. Entertainment system good but not the latest version, and headphones not noise-cancelling. Despite business class not completely full, they didn't have enough menus for everyone: me and my neighbor had to change choice as they didn't have enough Chinese menus on board, as well, not all wines listed are available. In any case, food was quite tasty. Overall, a good flight with China Eastern Airlines, had a good sleep, and overall impression is positive. There is WIFI on board (albeit, not really fast).
RouteMadrid to Shanghai

"professional, and customer-oriented"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Hong Kong via Shanghai. The service has always been excellent and the flight attendants on China Eastern are the most hard-working, professional, and customer-oriented. Just because their English skills may be lacking doesn't mean they are providing subpar service. I've had the same positive experiences with China Southern and Shanghai Air regarding customer service, and they all post generous partner mileage accrual with little delay, and offer elite status member benefits at airports (like priority boarding and lounge access) without having to make a request. And the China Eastern and Southern lounges put our stateside lounges to shame in terms of food offerings and comfort!
RouteLos Angeles to Hong Kong via Shanghai
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"disrespect to me as a customer"

(Russian Federation)

Trip Verified | Krabi to Moscow via Shanghai. Quality of service is very low. Me and my wife checked in 3 bags in Shanghai airport, but got only 2 tags. We didn't notice it at first. Then right before the flight a manager of China Eastern approached us, showed photo of one of our bags and told that due to some issues they were not able to send it with our plane. He said that there was no problem and that the bag would be sent with the next plane. When we arrived to Moscow, another manager of China Eastern met us and confirmed, that everything was okay and the bag would be sent with next plane. Sounds good, right? But since then we didn't get not only our bag - we were not able to get any information from China Eastern! Shanghai hotline doesn't work, people in Russian office know nothing and can't get any information. Eventually they just stopped answering my phone! Even baggage claim service of Sheremetyevo airport can do nothing! They send requests and get no answer from Shanghai office of China Eastern! It's is utter disrespect to me as a customer and total lack of management skills. It's been 6 days since we arrived and I'm losing faith in ever getting my bag back. And to add cherry on top of this mess - due to lack of luggage tag I wasn't able to get insurance for lost luggage. ((( Speaking about other impressions from the flight: food was good when we were going from Shanghai to Moscow, and OK when from Krabi to Shanghai. Seats were narow and not really comfortable, entertainment was OK, Wifi was poor.
RouteKrabi to Moscow via Shanghai