Top 100 Airports

China Eastern Airlines

"worst experience I have ever had"

Verified Review | Chengdu to Shanghai. I have not flown China Eastern since 2009 because I had such a bad experience with it. I decided to give it another go, and was handsomely rewarded for this largesse with the worst experience I have ever had in a business/first seat. I showed up to the airport and had 15 minutes to kill in the lounge. The hostsess meets me at the door and physically bars me from entering, saying that my flight is going to board early. I know this is utter nonsense, because I have never seen a China Eastern flight take off on time, much less early. I then explain to her that I have bad knees, and that I may need assistance to get to the plane on time if they are boarding early. I ask if I could catch a ride on one of the electric vehicles. She flatly refuses me, and after I asked why, she said it was a 100RMB charge if I did. I get to the gate, early, and of course, they are not boarding early. I wait 15 minutes again, and the counter person directed me to get in the back of the line for coach after I showed her a first class ticket. They boarded late, as I knew they would, and then upon getting on the bus, driving around the airport, we walk up the rickety steps to the plane. And no drinks for first class passengers - the flight is too short, the flight attendant tells me, followed by "maybe just this flight", and the worst meal I have ever had on a plane. On landing, we start down a jetbridge, and I think, great, we get a reprieve from the stairs. Nope. Halfway down the jetbridge, we are directed down more rickety stairs to another bus, even though the airport is literally five feet away. I give one star only because -4 stars is not possible.
Cabin FlownFirst Class
RouteCTU to PVG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"attendants polite and correct"

Verified Review | Return flight on A330 in C with China Eastern from Shanghai to Auckland. Contrary to what was expected, A330 on this route also had the herringbone new business class seats. Very comfortable. Quite spartan business class service, with acceptable food, but poor service. Attendants polite and correct, but do not go further to cater for individual needs, make it a nice experience, serve another wine etc. But if you look for a good seat that allows you to get some hours of sleep, it is excellent. On the way back, the aircraft was old with old seats. However, the old seats are also full lie-flat and not at all bad. Both ways pyjamas supplied, and slept well. Inflight entertainment was OK, with some nice international films. Very acceptable and entertaining in fact. Flights also on time both ways. Food relatively simple, but imaginative and with good portion of vegetables. Chinese food really quite good.
RoutePVG to AKL
Date FlownAugust 2016

"don't know if I would recommend"

Shanghai to Phnom Penh. We were very disappointed to learn that we could not check in two bags per person at the time we checked in. The China Eastern Airlines website states very clearly that each person is allowed two check ins without further cost. Because we had to bring one of our smaller pieces of luggage through security we lost several items. Our flight was MU759 on the 18th of Aug from Shanghai to Phnom Penh. I don't know if I would recommend this airline.
RoutePVG to PNH
Date FlownAugust 2016

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Nanjing to Xi'an and later from Xi'an to Shanghai with China Eastern. Considering a large number of critical reviews I was somewhat apprehensive of flying with China Eastern. However, I was pleasantly surprised. The check in was easy, both flights arrived on time and on both flights meals were served: a hot meal on the first flight and a sandwich on the afternoon flight to Shanghai. The baggage was promptly delivered on arrival. Overall, a positive impression.
RouteNKG to XIY
Date FlownAugust 2016

"China Eastern has lots to learn"

Verified Review | The cabin offers nice full flat seats. Cabin staff were correct. The amenity kit does not offer much. Pyjamas are offered which I appreciated. The seat is good to sleep in, with a thick duvet, that can double as mattress, as the cabin was very hot. The food was acceptable, but not on par with that offered on airlines like KLM, Air France or Korean. No choice of wines, the menu is just opened and you have to make a choice on the spot. The portions are small. The Chinese dish was nice however. No choice of wines, just a glass is given (wine was good though). Not asking if any more was desired etc. Dining is more a necessity than something to look forward to. The selection of movies was quite good. The maintenance of the cabin was poor, with loose seats or cover elements. A bit cheap. The business lounge in Shanghai is the worst I have ever seen in a large airport. In fact, there are many lounges with every couple of gates. Seats very uncomfortable, rather poor food, lots of noise, not nice to spend a long layover. China Eastern has lots to learn from its Skyteam peers, even simple things that do not cost money. For a good sleep on a long flight without long connection it is good value for money.
AircraftA330-200
RouteAMS to PVG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"attendants unfriendly and distant"

(China)

Verified Review | Beijing to Nanjing with China Eastern Airlines. The flight was seven hours delayed, every airline employee at the airport gave different excuses, so I assume none of them was right. Beyond that, staff at the Beijing International Airport was not able to speak English. They used some translation app on their mobile phone to "talk" to me. The comfort of the seats was horrible, far too small, seat pitch made for very small people, not for people like me (6'4"). Food was terrible (a cardboard box with a dry piece of bread and a dry piece of cake plus one bag of dried apple slices). Drinks were served in half-cup sizes, ie. the already very small paper cup was only filled half. Flight attendants were unfriendly and distant, in other words: a farmer treats his livestock much better than the flight attendants of this airline treat their paying customers. No in-flight entertainment except some advertising videos on the overhead screens (no personal screens). Terrible airline! Would like to give -1 stars in every category, if possible.
RoutePEK to NKG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"competent service for a very cheap fare"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Shanghai Pudong. I booked with some trepidation after reading less-than-flattering reviews of China Eastern. I was also aware that this particular flight was on average an hour late, and not infrequently several hours late or even cancelled. Fortunately, the experience exceeded these low expectations. The plane was quite new, the cabin airy and spotless, if relatively spartan. Seat comfort was good. Onboard service was professional and efficient. We were served a hot meal (spaghetti bolognese) even though this was a mid-afternoon flight. To be honest, this was filling more than anything else, but the dessert of fresh melon chunks was refreshing. The flight departed about half an hour late and endless taxiing on arrival in Shanghai added another half-hour delay. We had to take a bus to get to the terminal. All in all, nothing spectacular but a reliable and competent service for a very cheap fare.
RouteHKG to PVG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"procedure was lacking basic logic"

My experience wasn't as bad as some of the horror stories here, but they made my return travel unnecessarily painful, which could have been avoided. My issues are not with the on-board experience, which was acceptable. On my flight, there was no individual entertainment, but we had a collective screen. This means China Eastern had to find a compromise in terms of entertainment, a common denominator, which turned out to be - a cockfight. The real problem with China Eastern was their logistics. I flew with a partnership between Air France and China Eastern, going first from Geneva to Paris, from Paris to Shanghai, and finally from Shanghai to Phnom Penh, and three weeks later the exact opposite sequence. There were absolutely no issues the first time round, the Air France ticket counter issued three boarding passes, and my luggage was sent all the way through. However, for incomprehensible reasons, the return wasn't as easy. China Eastern check-in refused to issue all three boarding passes, giving me only the boarding pass to Shanghai, and insisted that I leave the airport at Shanghai, only to check in again, for a flight that was to connect four hours later. So I wasn't able to go through the regular transfer circuit, instead I had to go through immigration, customs, and then check-in procedures all over again. Chinese officials did not understand why I was to leave the airport since my flight was leaving a mere four hours later, and neither did the check-in lady, admitting that this procedure was lacking basic logic. It took me a lot of explaining each time, so the whole process took three hours. I did not have to check in my luggage again, because surprisingly, my luggage was allowed to transfer immediately to Paris, unlike me. However, this actually proved to be a problem. They refused to send my luggage any further than Paris, which meant that I had to leave the system again, to wait for my luggage and recheck it, even though by this time I had already acquired both of my remaining boarding passes in Shanghai. I had 1.30 hours transfer time in Paris, but due to significant delays in getting off the plane this was reduced to 25 minutes. In this time I had to pass the French border check, customs, wait for my luggage, run to another terminal, check in my luggage, and go through security again. Exhausted from a long flight, I ran all the way, begging the other passengers to please let me cut in line. Fortunately everyone in Paris (CDG) was very nice. Once more, the check-in lady admitted that this was all very unusual, not understanding why I hadn't received three boarding passes, and why my luggage had not been checked all the way to Geneva. Fortunately for me I made my flight in the nick of time, but not thanks to China Eastern, whom, through a serious lack of logic in their logistics made a stressful day out of a journey that could have been very straightforward.
RoutePNH to GVA via PVG
Date FlownAugust 2016

"ground staff were not at all helpful"

Sydney to London and London to Guangzhou via Shanghai with China Eastern. To be fair, the inflight staff service was alright and they were pretty friendly. The worst bit was that my connecting flight from Shanghai to Guangzhou was cancelled twice. The staff onboard and on the ground were no help at all, they were impatient, rude, and unhelpful, directing me to different lines. I spent 7 hours at Shanghai Airport being sent to different queues where the staff there just shrugged and didn't care. I stayed until midnight where luckily one staff member was nice enough to help us reschedule our flight (our flight was cancelled that night). They offered no accommodation, no apologies, despite it being their issue. I spent 300 AUD on accommodation out of my own pocket. The next morning I was again told my flight was cancelled, the main issue was that if I don't fly to Guangzhou and use that part of the trip, my flight back Sydney would be waived too. After struggling at Pudong airport for another 8 hours, the next day, I decided to go to Hongqiao Airport and was lucky enough to get a China Southern flight to Guangzhou. Although China Southern had flight delays, the staff apologised and offered free meal services. I was told to call the China Eastern service centre to check whether my flight from Guangzhou to Shanghai and back to Sydney was cancelled, the call centre advice was dreadful. Tired of their service, I spent another 1000 AUD and bought a ticket from Hong Kong to Sydney via Cathay Pacific, the Cathay Pacific service was much better. I would never fly with China Eastern again.
RouteSYD to LHR via PVG
Date FlownJune 2016

"worst airline I have ever caught"

Verified Review | Seriously not worth wasting your money, China Eastern is by far the worst airline I have ever caught. I had to catch 4 flights (Sydney to Rome via Shanghai, and London to Sydney via Shanghai with China Eastern, all flights were international 10+ hours flights and I regret taking this airline. Flight is always delayed and they tell you after it is already delayed and you’re sitting at the gate or on the plane waiting. China Eastern never warns it’s passengers or give them advance notice that there will be a delay. Every single flight I took had this problem, the worse was Shanghai to Rome. Everyone was waiting at the gate for 3 hrs and the board does not say ‘delayed’ and the airline workers do not tell you how long you have to wait for, they just give you a bad attitude and say “just wait”. On all 4 flights the flight attendants were rude. They complain under their breath right after you ask for a cup of water or if you are standing at the back to stretch your legs. It’s like they are trained to be rude, if you don’t want to serve people, don’t be a flight attendant! I heard 2 female attendants complain right in front of my face about how annoying I am in Chinese because I am standing with 4 other people at the back of the plane. They do not offer basic needs. No tooth brush set, no extra blanket. You cannot ask for another blanket if you are feeling cold, the flight attendant will say “one per person”, I had no one on the seat next to me so I asked to be given a blanket. the flight attendant says he “can’t find it”, I didn’t even see him try to find one. I was not the only one surprised by this on a 10+ hour international flight. Everyone who is considering this airline due to the low cost, please don’t. Just pay a little bit more and get China Southern or a better airline that treats you like a human. You will find that you wasted your money going through all these problems, and it is much better to be comfortable and treated like a person for a long international flight. This is going to be my first and last time with this airline.
RouteLHR to SYD via PVG