China Eastern Airlines

"it was a decent flight"

(Malaysia)

Trip Verified | Hong Kong to Shanghai. I was scheduled to fly 2 days after Typhoon Mangkhut. Although both their English & Chinese website has very poor announcement on the flight status whereby I have to call to their customer service center China to check it out myself but to be honest, it isn't that bad after all. I was able to switch to an earlier flight without paying for anything at the check in counter and the flight to Shanghai was smooth. Very decent amount of legroom space (coming from someone who takes budget airline quite often) however there's no in-flight entertainment which is fine since it's only a 2 hour flight. The food was OK, well you pay what you get for. Everything was alright, my luggage did not went missing nor was it damaged either. Overall, it was a decent flight and for the price that I paid for it was worth the bucks.
RouteHong Kong to Shanghai
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"avoid this airline for good"

Trip Verified | Ho Chi Minh City to Kunming . I typed in the name correctly in their corresponding boxes and even on the ticket it shows the correct name but I got rejected at the ticket counter anyways because they claimed that in their data system the order of the name does not match the order on the passport. They basically said it doesn't matter if it's correct on the booking ticket because it's not correct in their data. This might be the scam from the airline or the agent (at that airport). How am I supposed to know what's going on with their system and what order they go by and how do I have control over that? Not sure what order they go with and if they keep in mind that half of the world has the order of the name as First - middle - Last and the other half of the world goes by the order of Last, Middle, First. They also did not allow name change (for a fee) and forced us to buy a new ticket. It is a cheap airline but the cost in the end was double the amount. The airline also refused to refund the original ticket. I will just avoid this airline for good!
RouteHo Chi Minh City to Kunming
Date FlownAugust 2018

"worst airline I’ve ever flown"

Trip Verified | Shanghai to New York. Where to start with this airline. If I could rate a 0 or even negative I would. From the customer service at the check in desk to the actual flight. This is hands down the worst airline I’ve ever flown with. Not once did I feel safe on any of the 3 flights I took with them. The food is terrible, the service is ghastly, the temperature is freezing, the inflight entertainment is boring, and the seats are tiny and I’m 5 foot. If you lose something on these flights, trust me you’ve lost it for life. Even their customer service is after the fact is horrible. Trust me when I say avoid at all costs.
RouteShanghai to New York
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"the worst flying experience"

(China)

Trip Verified | My flight from Shanghai Hongqiao to Seoul Gimpo was the worst flying experience I have ever had: I was lied to and forced to change to a flight leaving from and landing in different airports with no help or compensation. I was denied boarding at the gate, after having successfully checked in and passed security and immigration, by staff who told me that “the Korean government doesn’t like Russian nationals to fly from SHA to GMP”. I discovered this was a complete lie, as confirmed by Pudong Airport Immigration and Seoul Incheon Airport Immigration. In reality, staff at Pudong told me the China Eastern flight was likely overbooked, and I was lied to so I wouldn’t complain. I was forced to change to a flight leaving from a different airport (Shanghai Pudong), 4 hours later, and given no help in transiting to that airport (2 hour transit in rush hour). Staff were rude and said: “Take the subway if taxi is too expensive for you.” I was made to land in Incheon instead of Gimpo, adding two hours to my final destination. Every single airport official I have spoken to was shocked by how China Eastern would lie to me, and provide such terrible treatment of their customers to cover for their own mistakes. I left official complaints in both English and Chinese. Never heard back. Impossible to get through to an actual human being.
RouteShanghai to Seoul
Date FlownSeptember 2018

"wasn't really bad at all"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Guangzhou via Shanghai. I was expecting to pass a really bad moment but it wasn't really bad at all, they were in-flight Wi-fi, good meals and all my luggage were at Guangzhou when i arrived. The only thing is that we got a 2h delay on Shanghai departure (layover) but it seems quite normal in China. Je m'attendais à une catastrophe à la lecture des reviews sur differents sites... Mais au final quasiment tout s'est bien passé, il y'a le wi-fi dans l'avion, la nourriture était trés bonne et enfin tout mes bagages sont arrivés a guangzhou sans problémes. Seul petit soucis, un retard de 2h au départ de shanghai (correspondance) mais cela est monnaie courante en chine.
RouteSan Francisco to Guangzhou via Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2018

"luggage allowance only 20kg,"

Trip Verified | The aircraft from Delhi to Shanghai was delayed for more than 3 hours. There are many passengers who connects through Shanghai, thus, the connecting passengers are very anxious to say the least as they are likely to miss the connections. The luggage allowance on this airline is only 20kg, much less than the competitors which is 30 KG. They will charge you $25 for each extra kilogram. On the way to Pu Dong airport, there is no boarding bridge, thus, you have to take the shuttle bus to the terminal.
RouteDelhi to Shanghai
Date FlownAugust 2018

"airline was a total failure

Not Verified | Sydney to Madrid via Shanghai. The airline was a total failure. The staff were rude and not helpful at all. My flight was seriously delayed because of typhoon and I didn't catch the connecting flight and they refused to arrange me to a flight with their code-share partners. They told me that they did not care even if I complained to their corresponding department. On my way flying back, my boarding passes could not be printed out because of some reasons I didn't know. The check-in staff called me a trouble-maker. They were very impatient and rude.
RouteSydney to Madrid via Shanghai

"price was a winner"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Shanghai. First trip with China Eastern in Business Class. Easy Check in, polite, friendly. Through the security line with out issue. MU uses Air France's Lounge at Chicago. Nothing special and gets a bit crowded, but all the same simplistic at best. Boarding was efficient. Business Class passengers had to make their way through the crowd, but once at the front, smooth and acceptable. Had seat 7L. Escorted to the seat with a warm welcome. Seat was spacious and roomy compared to American's 787 on the same route. Flight attendants went out of their way to be pleasant, spoke English well and the friendly service was on par with Cathay Pacific. There is a small business section with rows 6/7 behind First Class and eh galley, before getting to the main part of the business cabin. Take one of these seats! Movie selection was limited, but there were enough shows to help pass the time. Food was very good. Soup quite tasty and was offered seconds. Great Cheese Board with 5 selections, as well as Ice Cream and the normal other items. Seat was a bit hard, but was able to move around easily. For the price it was a winner of a flight. Give it a try and expect nothing and be pleasantly surprised
AircraftBoring 777-300
RouteChicago to Shanghai
Date FlownJuly 2018

"missed the check in time"

(Hong Kong)

Trip Verified | Shanghai to Hong Kong. I missed the official check in time for flight MU505 to Hong Kong by 3 minutes, which I admit is my fault, but given that a typhoon just hit and raining outside, not much empathy or sympathy by the staff. Without luggage to check in, I had plenty of time to clear customs, security, order a coffee and probably wait another 20 minutes at the gate before boarding starts. Instead the counter rep just says I've missed my flight without suggesting alternatives like "Let me put you on the next flight or something." He directed me to 2 separate other counters for no reason then says I have to purchase a new ticket at a premium to change to later flight. Later I found out this was not necessary after I paid. Tried to find the on shift manager and he questioned me by saying if I had bought the ticket at a China Eastern ticketing counter as if I went to the wrong place. As someone from Chinese descent and living in Hong Kong, I wish I could proudly say there's a world class airline from China. Clearly, China Eastern is not currently nor will be one anytime soon. China Eastern Airlines have not only not improved it services but have regressed to an airline not deserving of the privilege to operate.
RouteShanghai to Hong Kong

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | eanAmsterdam to Kuala Lumpur via Shanghai. Horrible customer service. They delayed our luggage. We were put on standby, but we got our tickets. So we took the planned flights. Arrived in Kuala Lumpur, they delayed our luggage. And nobody is responding, though email, website, phone and even nobody at the office! They say that we arrived to late at the gate, which is incorrect. We were there in time, straight after we dropped off our luggage.
RouteAmsterdam to Kuala Lumpur via Shanghai