top100_2016

ANA All Nippon Airways

"configuration feels a bit cramped"

(Japan)

Short flight (50 min) from Osaka-Itami to Tokyo-Haneda. I reached Osaka Airport pretty early, and the staff were willing to transfer me to earlier flight on the spot without charging me any fee (probably because I am Star Alliance Gold). ANA B787 domestic configuration feels a bit cramped, with very little recline angle, very limited choice of beverages, and no food service. It was a very short flight, so I had no problem only having a cup of apple juice and a glass of water. Luggage delivery at Tokyo-Haneda took forever (even for Gold passengers). The belt did not move until almost 20 minutes after plane's arrival at gate. This really needs to be improved.
RouteITM to HND
Date FlownJuly 2016

"flight attendants helpful and friendly"

Verified Review | Flew ANA from Los Angeles to Narita to Shenyang and return. One passenger was booked using UA miles. One passenger was on paid ticket. Had trouble paying using a US credit card, then switched to a debit card the payment went through. Aircraft was clean, flight attendants are helpful and friendly. Passengers were very quiet in cabin. Boarding process was very quick. Food service were excellent. Seat pitch was 34 inches which was critical to stretch legs, better than most of 31-32 inches seats on most of the airlines.
RouteLAX to SHE via NRT
Date FlownJune 2016

"non-practical protocol"

Verified Review | Booked a trip from Austin to Malaysia via Narita from United / ANA and had the worst experience. I was forced to run around Narita airport for nearly 2 hours. I was stopped at the transit check point in Narita as airport security said the tripod I was carrying was longer than their allowed measurement and was considered security item so I couldn't hand carry it. It wasn't even an issue when I was passing through the US immigration and there wasn't even warning about these dimension restriction when I got my tickets. I don't mind not hand carrying it but ANA staff had me check out from the immigration, go to the check in counter to check in my tripod, then go thru the immigration again. The airport was filled and badly ventilated. I didn't even get to enjoy my lounge experience, was drench in sweat and had to run to the gate as the gate was about to close. The staff could have just checked my tripod at my gate which would have saved me all the hassle from running thru the immigration checkpoints. Such a non-practical protocol that they have just irks and zaps all the previous good experience I had towards them. And having done this to a Premier 1K and Gold Alliance customer says a lot about their service.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteAUS to KUL via NRT
Date FlownJuly 2016

"flight attendants were fantastic"

NH802 on 12 Jun 2016, served by a 77W (Boeing 777-300ER). As this was a codeshare flight with UA, and my ticket was under UA, I had to check-in under ANA since this was the first leg of my journey, even though subsequent legs of my journey were under UA. However I was unable to do online check-in, and after a call to the ANA call centre they said their system to process check-in for codeshare flights was down. Eventually had to check-in at the airport, and was allocated a middle seat as there were no window or aisle seats left. Didn't seem like a good start to the journey, though so far interface with customer-facing staff (whether call centre or check-in counter) were positive. On board, the middle seat in the middle row on the 77W actually turned out to be perfectly fine, as there was additional space between the two middle seats. This provided more room than the usual middle seat. The in-flight entertainment worked fine and was decent, but could have a wider variety of offerings. The seat-back was fixed, so when you recline your seat bottom moves out instead. Not very comfortable when you "recline", but I was not looking to sleep so I was not too bothered. The food was good (I had the Japanese meal - why not, since I'm flying a Japanese airline), and the service by the flight attendants were fantastic (always with a smile, very polite, and intuitive). I was particularly amused when I was taking photos out of the window on the cabin door in-flight, and a flight attendant offered to take a photo "of" me - she actually meant to help me to take a photo of myself, as she thought I might be interested to take a photo. I appreciated her initiative in anticipating customer's needs, despite the initial misunderstanding. Towards the end of the flight, candy was served, together with postcards for those who love memorabilia. Overall, the food and service were the stars of the show. Flight took off and landed on time.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteSIN to NRT
Date FlownJune 2016

"meal service is very efficient"

Verified Review | Trip Routing - Manila - Haneda - Vancouver - May 2016. ANA Deserves their 5 star rating. Manila airport Terminal 3 is a bit chaotic but check in line moves quickly and agents are fast and efficient. The true experience begins when you are greeted at the aircraft door by the wonderful flight attendants. The Japanese have mastered the art of "Customer Service". FA's are friendly, courteous and with smile that never goes away. Meal service is very efficient as they show in pictures what is being served and all you need to do is point and comes your hot, delicious and well presented meal. On my longer leg, HND-YVR, 2 meal services were offered and there's an in-between snack and drink service all the time. FA's are seen throughout the entire flights. FA's walking up and down the aisle checking on every awake passenger and offering drinks or food. FA's are also on standby in the back area galley and awaiting for any passenger call. I know this because I get up almost every hour to stretch and FA's never failed to ask me if I needed anything. Economy Seats are comfortable and legroom is sufficient. Aircraft is clean and smells fresh.
AircraftBoeing 787 Dreamliner
RouteMNL to YVR via HND
Date FlownMay 2016

"seating is very comfortable"

Verified Review | I fly ANA frequently since I am based primarily in Japan and they offer the most flights available to my most common destinations. This particular route from Tokyo to Hong Kong is the one I fly most frequently (at least 2 times round trip per month). The seating on board this flight is very comfortable both in Economy and Business Class sections. Business Class has a different layout compared to that of other plans I have been on which is a 5 seat row set up. 2 seats on the outside with a single in the center between the 2 aisles. Staff and crew on this flight are very nice and professional and there is at least 1 or 2 FA's who speak very good English. At Narita and Hong Kong, both flights usually use gates at the far end of the terminals so best to make sure not to be late otherwise you will need to hurry to make the flight. Meal is served on a single tray at one time unlike appetizer, main course then dessert individually like on other ANA flights Regarding WiFi availability, I have not used it and not sure if is available on this flight.
RouteNRT to HKG
Date FlownApril 2016

"IFE content needs to be improved"

(Japan)

Jakarta CGK to Tokyo HND on brand new B787-9 (international config.). ANA has a really well-maintained, clean cabin with corteous cabin attendants. However, IFE content for economy class needs to be improved, also food menu for breakfast for this red-eye flight. Serving plain porridge with a piece of shrimp looks and tastes very cheap. Baggage handling at Haneda was also very slow. I'm a Star Alliance priority member but had to wait for 40 minutes near the belt. In-flight WiFi prices are also too expensive, at least compared to competitor Singapore Airlines
RouteCGK to HND

"have no complaints"

(Japan)

Tokyo to Naha (Okinawa) on old B777-300. Full service airline. 2h30m flight without food or snacks, with very limited choice of drinks. We have no complaints since our tickets were value fares, so quite cheap, but if we need to pay full fare with such service, it would be overpriced. Other than this issue, ANA really pays attention to its cabin cleanliness, check-in efficiency and baggage handling. All in all not too bad.
RouteHND to OKA

"they were friendly"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Jakarta. ANA has always been professional, and this time they were friendly with Indonesian passengers by adding some oral guides spoken in Indonesian, even though there is no Indonesian native on board. Fresh choices of food and drinks. Clean cabin and toilet. However, the 3x3x3 seat layout on Boeing 787 feels a bit cramped and stiff. Economy class dessert is mediocre. Cabin service polite but slow at the same time. IFE choices limited, a Japanese airline without many Japanese movies added.
RouteNRT to CGK
Date FlownApril 2016

"impressed with the airline"

Verified Review | Kuala Lumpur to Tokyo Narita was the first time me, my wife, and daughter have ever flown on ANA, and we were left impressed with the airline. Everyone from the check-in counter staff, ground staff, and cabin crew were super friendly, efficient, and helpful throughout the whole trip. Onboard, the seats were quite comfortable and spacious, compared to seats on other A380's and B787's. Food was served fast, heated, and tasty. IFE was very user-friendly and had enough entertainment for the 7hr journey. Flight crew were checking on us and our child and always on hand to help. Plane was very clean and loved the Boeing 787. Only slight complaint was how the plane was parked away from the terminal, instead of gates and how we needed to take a 5 minute shuttle bus to Narita Terminal 1. Will definitely recommend ANA and opt to fly with them again in the future.
RouteKUL to NRT