ANA All Nippon Airways

"thoroughly excellent experience"

Not Verified | Kuala Lumpur to Washington via Tokyo. Simply amazing! Efficient, genuine service, delicious food, lots of leg room. Attention to detail and safety. I am a convert. I have lived in SE Asia for several years and usually fly home to DC via the Middle East as I have found service and pricing the most competitive - until now! After flying ANA, I may never fly any other airline for my long haul to the US. My flight with ANA was one of my best flight experiences in Economy on any carrier. I found the service to be superior, attentive but not intrusive - friendly, efficient and genuine. The food was scrumptious - go for the Japanese if you can - quite good! I also had a delicious chicken tandoori on the leg from Tokyo to KL. I don’t fly for the food but theirs was certinaly a plus. Enough snacks to manage the 14 hours from DC to Tokyo, plenty of water and juice served in the cabin throughout the flight and requests were responded to promptly efficiently and with sincerely kind service. Clean bathrooms for the whole flight. This really stood out. I actuallly watched an attendant clean the bathroom 3 or 4 times on the flight! And another insisted on cleaning it before I used it on another flight. How nice to have clean bathrooms for the whole flight! (Not often the case on other carriers on my long haul flights from SE Asia to DC). One note - make sure your flight from Tokyo to DC is operated by ANA (not United) as they are exceptional. Often the flights are code share with United, and the leg from Tokyo to DC is operated by United - which is only slightly better than taking a public bus in the sky. I also had to change my return flight and ANA customer service made that a pleasant experience. A thoroughly excellent experience from start to end.
RouteKuala Lumpur to Washington via Tokyo
Date FlownNovember 2017

"would 100% recommend this airline"

Verified Review | Sydney to Tokyo Haneda route in August 2017. Had read many glowing reviews and was very excited to fly with such well regarded airline. I was not disappointed. Their air hostesses take customer service to the next level, being professional and very polite. ANA fly a much more convenient route to Tokyo from Sydney than Japan Airlines, going to Haneda airport instead of Narita (Haneda is much closer to the city than Narita). ANA also fly quiet, more new aircraft (Boeing 787-9) than airlines like QANTAS which fly the same route and a similar time with much older aircraft (747). The 787 allows better air regulation in the cabin and can deal with turbulence quite well which helps with sleep in a red-eye flight. It was nice to have a flight where the food tasted really good. Was at restaurant quality which is surprising for airline food. IFE was pretty good, with a decent selection of new movies for all ages, including some of my favourite studio ghibli films. Seat was pretty comfortable with a good amount of leg room for someone who is almost 6 foot in height. Overall this airline was fantastic, with awesome service rounding off a great flight experience, I would 100% recommend this airline for anyone travelling to japan, and will consider as a first option when travelling in the Asian region
RouteSydney to Tokyo Haneda
Date FlownAugust 2017

"The best flight ever had"

(Israel)

Verified Review | Osaka to Ishigaki. The best flight ever had in terms of service quality starting the ground services, lines and all, the stuff is always on to serve and make the flight more convenient for the costumers. the plan was clean without a single spot. perfect! The food was also very good, not the standard airplane food that you find in the usual flights. Thanks ANA
RouteOsaka to Ishigaki
Date FlownOctober 2017

"better even than other Asian carriers"

(Panama)

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Shanghai via Tokyo. This review is about the transpacific segments of a LAX-Shanghai trip I took on ANA aboard a 777-300ER. I rarely fly ANA because it is usually very far from being the cheapest carrier on any routing I take. On this occasion fare was within striking distance, so I decided to blow a few hundred extra dollars on them. It turned out to be a good choice. These people are light-years ahead of anyone else I've flown, especially US carriers, but in my opinion they do better even than other Asian carriers like Asiana and Singapore. The business class seat is truly excellent; spacious, comfortable, the dining table is brilliantly designed to give great space on which everything fits- the meal tray, the drinks, the phone, everything. But where they truly stand out is in their service. Their people are invariably polite, attentive, gracious, and pleasant. The only thing to criticize about the whole experience is the awful OnAir wifi, which is between slow and useless, on top of being expensive. Everything else is so top-notch that there is literally nothing to find fault with. The seat is so good, and the service is so well planned, that I barely felt the lack of connectivity. I read, and I slept, and got to China and back feeling like the long hours of travel (usually the part I like the least) were well spent. The whole experience, from check in to baggage retrieval, is thought through with convenience in mind. I can't afford to fly on them each time I go to Asia, but if your budget allows, or if their fare is not hugely above your next alternative, this carrier is really second to none and is well worth a few extra dollars for a stress-free and enjoyable transit.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLos Angeles to Shanghai via Tokyo
Date FlownNovember 2017

"cabin staff ignored me"

Verified Review | London to Tokyo return. The service from London to Japan was pleasant and air hostess made me feel welcome. However on the return the cabin staff ignored me when I asked for water or tea. My partner was pestered to move seat forward by staff so that older folks behind us had enough leg space! I was so annoyed as I have paid for my seat and checked on to see if seats was moved back. I was approached by staff later asking me to put down the window shutter when the cabin lights were down. I felt that they were more concerned about Japanese passengers then non Japanese passengers. I didn't complain to air hostess at time as I wanted to just go home. However this experience has totally discouraged me to fly with ANA again.o
RouteTokyo to London
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"privacy being the focus"

Verified Review | We flew business class to Tokyo from San Francisco on ANA. The cabin layout is unorthodox with privacy being the focus, even in the middle section where my wife and I sat. Seating was 1-2-1 configuration. Seat was comfortable and an extra long piece of cushion was provided if you need more support. Plane looked very clean and all the controls worked perfectly. Sleep was no problem with the lie flat seat. The Japanese food selection was excellent. Lots of fish on tap. I didn't try the western menu. FA all slim, young and very attractive Japanese females. Did not see a male FA in our section. FA's very friendly and efficient. English not always 100% fluent but didn't matter. Adds to the overall experience. There were only 12 BC passengers so I had the lavatory to myself almost. Will definitely fly with ANA in BC to Japan in the future.
RouteSan Francisco to Tokyo Narita
Date FlownOctober 2017

"food and IFE were disappointing"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | Originally booked to fly BWI-ORD-NRT-KUL on 14 October but BWI-ORD was delayed for over 4 hours so I had to be rebooked out of IAD on 15 Oct. PY to NRT and Business to KUL. Check in at IAD was surreal. I was waiting in line for the ANA counter to open and what a ceremony! The check in staff lines up in front of the check in desk, bowed and wished everyone a good morning in Japanese. Then they silently and graciously got on with their duties. The check-in staff were excellent but the ANA airport manager was really rude and unpleasant when I approached him to ask him a question about the wait for the wheelchair for my mother. That was the only bad experience of the journey. There were many apparent important looking Japanese people travelling on this flight and the ANA staff were bending over backwards to accommodate them at the expense (in my opinion) of other pax. PY passengers had access to the Lufthansa Business class lounge which was simply awful. Only cold food on offer. Boarding was done well and efficiently at IAD airport. Again, service on board was excellent but the food and IFE were disappointing. Mid flight from IAD to NRT, we were served a chicken sandwich which was essentially one slice of bread with a few strands of chicken and mayo. It was not accompanied with any chips or any other snacks which was disappointing for a flight of 13.5 hours. There were two main meals of small portions and again an odd combination of Western/Japanese items. NRT-KUL was in Business class due to the carrier changing the aircraft so we were upgraded to the 787 C class cabin which had a seating configuration of 2-2-2. The beds were angle type and not flat. The food on C class was definitely much better and was attractively presented. Overall, it was a good journey and I would recommend ANA.
AircraftBoeing 777-300, Boeing 787
RouteWashington Dulles to Kuala Lumpur via Tokyo
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Cabin attendants were superb"

(Malaysia)

Verified Review | KUL-NRT-ORD-BWI, 21 September 2017. Last leg on UA as a codeshare. KUL-NRT on Y class due to absence of PY on this sector. Top marks for check in staff at KUL, boarding done well and I was travelling with a wheelchair pax and everything was faultless. Cabin attendants were superb, friendly and caring and fussed over my 83 year old mother who was travelling with me. Call bells were answered promptly and always politely. Each disabled pax was assigned a FA when deplaning to ensure that things ran smoothly. The downside, food and entertainment were sub par. They have a funny mixed menu where even if you order a Western meal, you get elements of Japanese food on your tray and vice versa. The IFE was lacking, especially on the long NRT-ORD flight. The Y seats were tight and narrow and would have been uncomfortable for any journey longer than the 7 hours that it took to get to NRT. From NRT-ORD, we had bulkhead window seats, in a 2-4-2 configuration in PY which was okay. There was a leg rest but the drawback was that the screen was mounted on the wall. There was a reasonable amount of recline, seats were wide but you could not stretch your feet out completely. That's okay as it was not designed to be business class. We were given noise cancelling headsets, slippers, ear plugs and other amenities. Deplaning in ORD was fine and thankfully we had a lovely attendant who transported us from terminal 5 to terminal 1 for our UA flight. I would highly recommend ANA but please improve your IFE and sort out your menus.
AircraftBoeing 787, Boeing 777-300
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteKuala Lumpur to Chicago O'Hare via Tokyo
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"highly recommend flying with ANA"

Verified Review | Nagasaki to Sydney via Tokyo Haneda on 12 October 2017. Both flights were excellent. Check-in process at Nagasaki was crowded, but all passengers were checked in with ample time to spare. The seats on the plane were in a 3-4-3 configuration, and there was a standard seat width. However, the legroom was brilliant - I was able to stretch my legs all the way, and I am 6'3" (192cm). Inflight service consisted of a drink and a small snack. Transfer in Tokyo was smooth and was also where I experienced first-hand how helpful ANA staff really are - I realised I did not have my passport about 5 minutes before the plane was to board, and the staff immediately leapt into action. Two began furiously calling on phones at the gate, and three left to go looking around at all the places I had been in the airport. They even told me that they would delay the flight until it was found! The passport was eventually handed in to the information desk at the airport and one of the staff then went to pick it up and delivered it to me. After this somewhat dramatic start to the second flight, the rest of the journey was smooth, The legroom was again impressive, and the seats were comfortable enough for me to catch a few hours of sleep. I would highly recommend flying with ANA whenever you have the chance, and they are probably the best choice for flying to Japan.
AircraftBoeing 777-200 / 787-9
RouteNagasaki to Sydney via Tokyo
Date FlownOctober 2017

"super friendly cabin attendants"

Verified Review | Nagoya to London via Tokyo Haneda. Chaotic check-in at Nagoya airport, although everybody got checked in by the deadline. Smooth boarding and punctual gate departure. Very clean cabin onboard the Boeing 737. One drink was served on this short 1 hour flight. Smooth transfer at HND, with great shopping choices. The Boeing 777-300ER has configuration of 2-4-3 across, with fixed-shell seats. Not the most comfortable economy seats as when you fully recline, your legroom really reduces greatly. But it is still well above average. Food was absolutely delicious (Japanese beef sukiyaki), and the cabin was kept clean all the time. Inflight entertainment was good with lots of choices of movies/videos/audio. However the flight map function did not work for the whole flight. Special mention to the super friendly cabin attendants who offered superb service, as well as friendly chats in the gallery. Overall, extremely good experience and will fly long haul on ANA in the future.
AircraftBoeing 737-800 / 777-300ER