Air China

"I was pleasantly surprised"

Verified Review | Washington to Shanghai via Beijing. Food mediocre, but I have yet to be impressed by any airline food. The stopover in Beijing was a little stressful, not quite long enough, would have liked an extra half hour. I am confused why this airline has such bad reviews. I was dreading having to fly with them after reading all that but I was pleasantly surprised. Really not a bad airline, if you're on a budget in particular it's a good choice. No phone rule on plane is annoying, but not enforced very strictly.
RouteWashington to Shanghai via Beijing
Date FlownAugust 2017

"were on the average level"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Barcelona to Vienna was a first leg on the flight from Barcelona to Beijing. About 40 minutes queue at Check -in counters. Despite of Barcelona to Vienna flight being within European Union, they forced to go through immigration (and consequently the same in Vienna upon arriving) and it was not convenient and took time. The flight was quite smooth, without delay. Food and services were on the average level.
RouteBarcelona to Vienna

"Everything was awful"

Verified Review | Beijing to Los Angeles. I did not anticipate the sub-par quality of this horrid airline. Everything was awful - improper disclaimer or explanation as to portable charger in baggage (security seized it), very late flights with no heads up. The single worst airline food my wife or I could ever imagine eating (I'm a vegetarian, she's not, and we both found the food to be incredibly awful, and, on this particular flight, they changed our seats without our knowing, and provided awful cramped seats instead - and wouldn't offer up any of the many empty Premium Economy or Business Class seats in apology. This, paired with the PRC's absurd rules on no phone use in the plane made everything with this airline just miserable. Horrible bag weight limits too.
RouteBeijing to Los Angeles
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"worst customer service"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Beijing in July and ended up on the tarmac at LA for six hours as they supposedly had two flat tires. At the end of the flight in Beijing they offered us a piece of paper that would supposedly compensate us for the delay. When we took the piece of paper to the Air China desk in Beijing, they said the delay was due to weather (which was a lie), gave us a certification paper that we were indeed aboard and the delay was valid, but informed us that we had to take the paper to the U.S. to procure our compensation. When we did, they just told us to call their customer service line, which we did, and never heard back from them. So we contacted our travel agent, who then contacted Air China, and had this to say about them: "I called the reservation and they don't take care of the refund. Then they gave me the email for customer service and nothing from them. This is the worst customer service I ever experience."
RouteLos Angeles to Beijing
Date FlownJuly 2017

"with on-line arrival"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Xining to Chengdu. Many domestic flights in China are not known for their great service, however on this flight I was impressed with the efficiency. The flight left 10 minutes ahead of schedule. Once airborne, the captain gave a welcome and information announcement in Chinese and English. The inflight service was basic, but efficient. Overall, a pleasant experience with on-time arrival.
RouteXining to Chengdu

"very pleasant experience"

Verified Review | Beijing to San Francisco. I had a very pleasant experience. Flights were on time both ways. The crew were great and best price ever. I will fly with Air China again.
RouteBeijing to San Francisco
Date FlownAugust 2017

"attempt to offer basic service"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Chengdu to Xining. Air China seems to make an attempt to offer basic service. My main complaint with Air China is the lack of information when there is an irregular operation. On a recent domestic flight, the flight was about 1 hour late however there were no announcements as to why (either in Chinese or English), no information available on airport flight screens, and no ground staff in sight. When suddenly the flight was ready to board the gate opened and there was a mad rush to get on the plane. Once on board we waited for a long time before we finally took off. Again, no information announcements were made. In flight, service consisted of a snack of stale nuts and water. Flight attendants seemed stressed and frowned for most of the flight.
RouteChengdu to Xining
Date FlownMay 2017

"Service is average"

Verified Review | Taipei to Frankfurt via Beijing than the opposite went really well. Service is average, seat quite good for being an Asian airline (and I am very tall) and there was no problem for me. I only found the airline website a bit obsolete. I was a bit afraid about their luggage restrictions but nothing went wrong.
RouteTaipei to Frankfurt via Beijing

"bare minimum standards"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Frankfurt via Beijing return on Air China business class. Considering the price, I have no satisfaction. 12 hr sth business class for only less than USD 2000, especially also considering Japan's peak summer holiday season. Tokyo to Beijing legs both use small A321 aircraft; limited recline on the business class seats. No inflight entertainment provided behind seats like Asiana Airlines. Beijing to Frankfurt on a Boeing 777-300ER with 2-2-2 lie-flat business class seats. Air China basically provides bare minimum standards of business class service, champagne, French red and white wines as well as spirits and liqueurs. They can improve contents of IFE and business class menu (e.g. to supply beef and fish instead of sausages and chicken, they look and taste cheap to business class passengers). Cabin crew provided enough courtesy to business class passengers.
AircraftA321 / Boeing 777-300ER
RouteTokyo to Frankfurt vua Beijing

"Seats were comfortable"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | My wife and I took a round trip from Hong Kong to Newark via Beijing on A330, Boeing 777-300, and Boeing 737-800. All 4 flights we took was delayed for 1 hour respectively. The journey in general was good. The airplane was fairly new and in pretty good condition. The food and beverage were good. Seats were comfortable. Power socket was provided in B777-300ER for laptop and tablet. The only discomfort was the air temperature was a too high on flight from HK to PEK. Our outward flight transfer time was as long as 12 hours, Air China provided free overnight accommondation including shuttle. However, they should improve the online check-in system. We were unable to check-in our outward flight due to some internal error of its online system, but it worked in return flight. The entertainment system on Air China fleets was designed for those who speaks and reads Chinese. The touch screen of my wife's seat (both outward and return flights were not working) she had to make use of the fixed controller instead. Both journeys were good, not bad honestly.
AircraftA330 / Boeing 777-300ER / 737-800