Air China

"unprofessional and rude"

Trip Verified | London to Osaka via Beijing. On first flight - Bags lost on flight to London by ground staff in Beijing. Also, Air China does not allow iPods to be turned on during the whole flight, despite mine being an iPod classic and thus effectively having the wireless abilities of a potato. The seat belt sign is also not turned off on any of my flights with Air China, and you are often told off when you go to the toilet. This is obviously ridiculous on a 10 hour flight. First flight from London to Beijing was delayed by three hours, meaning the connecting flight to Osaka was missed. There was a 14-hour delay until the next flight, the next day. No apology from anyone and made to queue for four hours in Beijing Airport for a hotel and visa. Provided with a hotel, but despite officials claiming to put me with someone of the same gender, I was put with a Korean woman. I was severely uncomfortable and I can only imagine how she must have felt. Finally got on the connecting flight and my tray was covered in stains, which the hostesses repeatedly ignored when I asked to wipe away. Unprofessional and rude, and will not fly with again.
RouteLondon to Osaka via Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"staff professional and helpful"

Trip Verified | Flew Paris to Melbourne via Beijing with Air China, we were happy with both flights. The first plane was very comfortable and both the ground staff and flight staff professional and helpful. We found the standard of English on both flights to be at a good level, being native English speakers living in France we can appreciate the effort it takes to communicate in another language. The food on both flights was of an acceptable standard in view of the cost of the flights.
RouteParis to Melbourne via Beijing

"a very bad experience"

Trip Verified | Osaka to London via Beijing. Very unhappy with Air China. My luggage was delayed (lost) on the outbound flight and was not delivered to my address in Japan for 2 days. A Christmas Present was removed from the luggage and I don't understand how it passed through London security, but not through Beijing. Plus on the return flight although I paid for and reserved a window seat on the leg from Beijing to London I was told that I could not have the seat that I had booked. Finally my luggage (including all other transit passengers luggage) was delayed on the return flight and has not yet arrived - promised delivery to my home address after 2PM on 6 January. There has been no offer of compensation for either the inconvenience or additional costs incurred in delivering the luggage to my University address as the luggage had to be delivered to my home address. All in all a very bad experience flying with Air China and I would definitely not recommend them to anyone,
RouteOsaka to London via Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"shocked by the customer service"

Trip Verified | Melbourne to Shanghai. The Air China online check in is useless. I couldn’t print or email my boarding pass. When I called the phone number provided on their website, the person on the other side of the line was impatient and again, useless. He didn’t know or couldn’t be bothered to explain how to get my boarding pass printed. He kept telling me to use Firefox or IE. The problem still wasn’t solved after I tried Firefox, and everyone knows IE is not available for MacBook and it has been discontinued. His attitude left me helpless. I called the phone number of Melbourne Centre, no one answered. At this stage, no one could help me. Being a Chinese myself, and living overseas for a long time, I am shocked by the customer service standard provided by Air China.
RouteMelbourne to Shanghai
Date FlownDecember 2017

"will never recommend Air China"

(South Korea)

Trip Verified | Seoul to Paris via Beijing. I bought a ticket to fly from Seoul to Paris (with a flight transfer in Beijing) in order to spend Christmas and the New Year with my friends and my family. My first flight was from Seoul to Beijing on the 23rd December was supposed to take off at 6:10pm. The flight was delayed several times and finally took off at 11:35pm. I asked to the Air China staff to change my ticket and get a direct flight from Seoul because I was sure I will never get my transfer. The Air China was very unfriendly and did not care to help. Beijing to Paris : my original flight left without me, because my flight from Seoul arrived very late. I arrived to Beijing airport and was asked to line up in order to get a new ticket. I arrived to the staff, handed him over my passport and my flight ticket. He confirmed me that I could not take the original flight and had to take a flight departing on the 24th of December at 1:00pm! I asked him if there was no other flight departing earlier. He answered me that there were not earlier flights. Then I asked him then if he could upgrade my ticket from economy class to business class. He then stood up and yelled at me. I had to accept to take another flight at 1:00PM at an economy class seat I could not choose at the very back of the plane. The airport staff was terribly unfriendly and unable to communicate. Until I arrived to Paris, I was not sure if my suitcase was in the airplane or not. I finally took my new flight at 1:00pm and arrived at 5:45pm in Paris. I arrived to Paris at 5:45pm instead of 6:45am. I arrived to my home very tired. I will never recommend Air China to anyone.
RouteSeoul to Paris via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2017

"will not recommend for travel"

Trip Verified | San Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing. My husband followed several times through email and also through call center for knowing status of upcoming flight on 23 December but there is no response as on date 21 December. They haven't replied for meal request. Airline has no importance for even business class guest and will not recommend for travel.
RouteSan Francisco to Mumbai via Beijing
Date FlownOctober 2017

"pleasantly surprised"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | I recently flew Air China economy class from Los Angeles to Tokyo via Beijing. The LAX-PEK leg was on a Boeing 777-300. The flight departed LAX around 12:40am on time. I had an aisle seat. The seats were comfortable with reasonable legroom and were slightly wider than other airlines. The seat back entertainment had limited number of movies and TV shows, but I was more interested in sleeping than watching a movie. The flight crew did a reasonable job serving the after departure meal and breakfast. The meals were edible, nothing special. One complaint I have is they could have been through the cabin more often with water and juices during the flight. I gave myself several hours for transit through Beijing. This was reasonably fast and I had no problems. On the Tokyo leg the flight was on an A321. The interior of this plane was a bit tatty. The seats were comfortable, but a little thread bear, but tolerable for a short 2 hour 40 minute flight. Again on this flight the flight crew could have been through with water or juice more often. After seeing previous reviews I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised.
AircraftBoeing 777-300 / A321
RouteLos Angeles to Tokyo via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2017

"Worst experience of my life"

(New Zealand)

Trip Verified | Auckland to New Delhi via Beijing. Worst experience of my life. Flight took off from Auckland, flew for a few hours, then the pilots realise that there is an engine problem and lands back at Auckland. Then they kept misleading the passengers to wait for an hour, to get the problems solved, but kept delaying more. Eventually we are told to return the next day for the next flight. No compensation provided. No hotel rooms provided. Passengers were stranded from different locations without even knowing if the airline will book further connecting flights or not. No courtesy towards passengers. Rampant language problem. The flight hostess didn't even understand English. We were stranded in Auckland for a day, sleeping in the airport. After returning to check in counter the next day, they didn't take our issue or priority and we were the third last people to get our boarding passes, that too through a different route. But the next flight got delayed as well by over 8 hours. Now we are stranded here, and going to miss our connecting flights again. The airline staff are very rude and not being helpful in our matter.
RouteAuckland to New Delhi via Beijing
Date FlownDecember 2017

"on board staff were unhelpful"

Trip Verified | Bangkok to London via Beijing. Boarding was a disaster! Family of 5 with pushchair was so disorganized. No care given and despite pushchair requested at the gate at Beijing it went through to baggage claim which at 1.30am and the immigration nightmare that awaited us this was a real issue. The aircraft was too hot and on board staff were unhelpful with helping with seat location and general assistance with luggage and narrow aisles whilst carrying children. Children’s meals were placed in front of the children and the foil containing the food was piping hot. Very dangerous. I told the hostess who remained emotionless and walked off expressionless. 5 hrs into the flight I was told I could not listen to my music on iPhone? Seats are very uncomfortable. Inflight entertainment is ok however the handset is dated to the 1980s so it doesn’t work and frustrates you trying to access films. Toilets are disgusting and not maintained by crew. Urine on floor and no toilet roll replenishment. I will never fly Air China ever again. Avoid!
AircraftBoeing 777 widebody
RouteBangkok to London via Beijing

"My flights were fine"

Trip Verified | Tokyo to Houston via Beijing. My flights to and from Japan were fine. As far as the flight, outside of the casual method of boarding everyone at once, the flight had no problems. The food was typical airline fare. The attendants were friendly. The entertainment was a little glitchy but it didn't ruin my experience. They say not to use digital devices onboard but that didn't seem to be enforced on either of my flights. I'm sure some people might think this review is a plant (related to an employee even) but I want people to know that I had a normal flying experience and think staff should get credit where credits due. They worked hard to make passengers happy. If not for a flight that had more connections, I'd consider flying with them considering the bargain price.
RouteTokyo to Houston via Beijing