Air China

"very satisfied with their service"

Trip Verified | Flew Frankfurt to Hong Kong via Beijing. Air China offers great value for money and a decent, but not outstanding quality and service. I have flown Air China on around 30 legs now and I am very satisfied with their service. Value for money is unbeatable for some of their deals. Inflight meals are okay, beverages offered as well. Nothing outstanding but everything you would expect or need. Inflight entertainment is alright, a mix of Western and Asian movies. The fleet is not the most modern and in a few occasions the entertainment is not working in some seats. (1 out of maybe 50). I had one damaged bag which I claimed damaged and received 50 euro. On another occasion, my bag did not make the extremely short layover and was sent to my hotel 3 hours later. Air China however does not allow the operation of mobile phones, not even in flight mode! I would like to highlight that on my last trip I missed my plane due to my own fault and the Air China hotline rebooked me on the next available flights (2 legged flight!) Free of charge! I would choose Air China again any time and with the frequent special offers and really low prices, I certainly will.
RouteFrankfurt to Hong Kong via Beijing
Date FlownNovember 2017

"guy on Air China desk was very rude"

Verified Review | Los Angeles to Manila via Beijing. When i arrive in LAX the Air China crew told me to wait for a while because my name was not on the computer yet, after an hour ago standing and waiting for them they told me to just go to the boarding area and the boarding pass from Beijing to Manila they said it will give it to me in Beijing china so i got the boarding pass from lax to china. Flight arrives PEK around 5pm china time after almost 13 hours flight, all passengers ride the bus when we go down from airplane, then after 8 to 10 minutes the bus stop, and all passengers walk for another 10 minutes or so then ride the train go to customs area. Arrive in customs area after 35 minutes standing it was my turn, then the customs told me to go to Air China desk first and get my boarding pass, so yes I go to that booth and was waiting for almost an hour it was my turn. The guy on that Air China desk was very rude, he kept saying No English, No English and keep pointing me to go somewhere else. I told them that I'm gonna miss that flight if they won't give me boarding pass, but they are like robots there. Make the story fast i send a msgs in USA that they won't give me boarding pass and I will miss or catch the next connecting flight because Air China refuse to give me a boarding pass in Beijing. My husband save the day, he call the airline, so they give me new confirmation number, i give the confirmation number on the Air China desk and the guy very same guy i talk an less than an hour ago refusing again to check my name on the computer. AFter a few hours they change workers, and i got a chance to show my confirmation number and they put me on the next flight. I was almost 28hrs stuck in Beijing airport, then when i arrive in Manila baggage was gone.
RouteLos Angeles to Manila via Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"I will never again fly this airline"

Verified Review | Business class from Guangzhou to New York via Beijing. On top one of my bags never made it. This happened during my outbound flight too and I missed a work day. Promised it would be delivered by the morning and received it at 1pm. There was at least 5 people with missing luggage. Waste of our time. Also, the Chinese ground staff support at JFK was super rude when I went to inquire on my missing baggage. The long haul cabin food was the worst I've had in a premium cabin. My entertainment system was broken. The flight attendant was nice enough to switch my seat. Service was okay. Please think twice before flying Air China. I will never again fly this airline.
RouteGuangzhou to New York via Beijing
Date FlownNovember 2017

"worst airline I have ever flown"

Verified Review | New York to Tokyo via Beijing. This is by far the worst airline I have ever flown. Although it’s marginally less expensive than some other airlines it’s not worth the headache. Every single person we encountered that worked for this airline was rude and showed no empathy. The food is hardly edible and drinks are barely edible. The real nightmare started when we missed our return flight. They would not put us on another flight later that day or the next day. When we offered to buy new tickets to Beijing to make our connection to New York they informed us that our second leg of the trip would not be honored because we missed the first flight, change fee or buy completely new tickets. They also said that they could not change or sell any tickets from the two airports in Tokyo. How is this possible? We walked to the American Airlines counter and bought two tickets to JFK. I’m utterly disgusted at how irresponsible and unreasonable Air China is. Passengers miss their flights all the time.But to be so unreasonable to people that are thousands of miles away from their home countries is unfathomable.
RouteNew York to Tokyo via Beijing

"consistently horrible"

Verified Review | Manila to Vancouver via Beijing. You have to give one thing to Air China, they are consistent. Unfortunately, they are consistently horrible. From ground staff, customer service agents, to in flight personnel, this company needs to revamp its customer service. I personally wish I wasn't lured by their great seat sale - I'd rather pay three times for a ticket to fly with a company that cares for its passengers. They caused me a lot of grief, and a little communication would have gone a long way at making my travel with them smoother. This is a company that lacks flexibility, empathy, and the know-how to be able to retain customers. Judging by their track record online, they seem to be effective at creating disloyalty. Do yourself a favor and read the Terms and Conditions of their ticket before purchasing, if you can't be bothered, look for another flight with another airline.
RouteManila to Vancouver via Beijing
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"recommend you choose another airline"

Verified Review | Sydney to Soul via Beijing. If you need to change anything relating to your ticket you will be charged double what you would have paid through your Travel Agent. For example, if you need to amend your flight you will be charged a $AUS300 administration fee per ticket. Literally 2 minutes work! If you want to upgrade prior to departure the cost is double (in some cases more) compared to if you booked prior to departure. We do multiple OS trips a year and we will never ever fly with Air China again. Don't get stung! Food is appalling, staff have very poor english and the overall experience will wreck your holiday. With all the choices of airlines available, I strongly recommend you choose another airline, even if it costs slightly more.
RouteSydney to Soul via Beijing
Date FlownOctober 2017

"seats were roomy and comfortable"

Verified Review | Manila to New York via Beijing. Stewardess were very helpful, seats were roomy and comfortable. My seat reclines to a bed so I can lay down and sleep. There are two seats per area so you have plenty of leg room, big screen tv/entertainment system with remote in front of you, USB charging station, comforter, noise cancelling head phones and supply kit. There is Chinese or western cuisine, I had both and these were good enough. Choices of wines, liquor and beer very nice. Air China has a big business lounge in Beijing. Plenty of food and drinks with WIFI. Onboard Air China does not allow the use of Mobile Phones or Tablets/Ipad due to Gov't regulations although some people watch movies in their tablets/Ipad and no one bothers them that I can see. Communicating with the cabin staff sometimes is challenging because most of them are not very good in English although they know what to do when providing services. You can ask as many drinks as you can consume and they will accommodate you. You should move quicker while in Beijing because you might not have enough time to your connecting flight if the gate is very far, you may need to ride in a golf cart to speed up your getting to the gate/lounge (drivers ask for tips). Changed to smaller plane in Beijing en route to Manila. My layover was less than 2 hours and the flight took another 4.5 hours to Manila which was not bad. The smaller plane did not have an entertainment system. Other than lacking individual entertainment, the food was good enough.
RouteManila to New York via Beijing
Date FlownOctober 2017

"all announcements in Chinese"

Verified Review | Flight delayed with no explanation. They had us move to different terminal which was on the other side of the airport. All announcements were in Chinese and not translated. Zero effort to communicate. I understand delays but I’ve flown enough to know what good customer service is. I will never fly this airline again.
RouteLos Angeles to Beijing

"experience was pleasant"

(Thailand)

Verified Review | Singapore to Beijing return. Both flights were delayed with the Bangkok to Beijing flight delayed by over 30mins. Arrival in Beijing was almost 1 hour late. The cabin was neat and tiny. Each seat came with a personal TV screen with a selection of movies and short programmes though quite limited. There was some turbulence during both flights but it seems like the seat belt signs were put on throughout most of each flight eventhough the turbulence had long passed. There were blankets provided although some were sealed in plastic bags while others were just folded without any packaging giving the impression that they were recycled from the previous flight. The cabin crew was efficient and attentive. The flight experience was pleasant although slightly marred by the other passengers who dropped their blankets and pillows in the middle of the aisle or those who insisted on walking around when they were not supposed to. Checking in in Bejing can be quite a chaotic experience. There are counters for domestic flights and dedicated counters for international flights for specific locations. The counter staff in Beijing was efficient but no communication or smile was provided. In contrast, the counter staff in Singapore was proactive, friendly and pleasure to deal with. Air China has lots of potential to be an excellent airline and I will fly with them again if the price is right.
RouteSingapore to Beijing
Date FlownAugust 2017

"Air China is a disgrace"

Verified Review | Beijing to London Heathrow, business class. Having flown out on Thai Airways, my trip plans changed and a last minute visit to China meant I got booked onto this return flight. I like China, I know and like the Chinese people, but this airline is just unbelievably awful. The lounge in T3 PEK airport was so crowded and hot, food absolutely vile, and I thought getting onto the flight might improve things. No! My neighbour sat and hacked up phlegm for most of the trip, occasionally spitting this into his glass or cup. God knows what germs he was spreading. The seat was okay, but cabin was dirty and had a pungent and very unpleasant smell. Forget the IFE as choices are typically Chinese limited. After the lounge food offering, it got worse on the flight and truly resembled and smelt like dog food - and this was the western choice I opted for. Final elements of enjoyment was when I walked to the toilet about halfway through the flight and noticed 4 cabin crew (in full uniform) spread out fast asleep on some vacant business class seats! Air China is a disgrace to Star Alliance, the Chinese, the airline business at large, and I strongly urge you to reconsider before ever setting foot on one of their planes. (I flew 2 domestic sectors with China Southern and they are much, much better airline).
RouteBeijing to London