Top 100 Airlines

Air China

"definitely not worth it"

Verified Review | Manila to Houston via Beijing. Beware Air China On the second week of a five-week visit to the Philippines, ITN travel agency informed me by email that our return flight on Sept 1 was cancelled by Air China without explanation. I was given the option to fly on Sept 2. I agreed, but never received confirmation. Since I booked through a travel agency, Air China would not let me access their website to get seat assignment, flight status, or communicate with them. So I emailed ITN almost every day the next two weeks for confirmation but they said Air China still had not resolved the problem. They gave me a phone number to call in California because Air China needed passport info, ID, etc, which I know they already had. I use my cellphone but every time I press 1 for English, I got cut off. When I used a landline to call long distance twice, I was put on hold for 15 minutes. I gave up. I finally flew to Manila from Davao province where I was staying and went to the airport at 4:00 AM to avoid traffic, and cut through a long line to an Air China counter. After a lengthy explanation, I was given confirmation and had to wait another 15 minutes to get a copy because the copier was in the fourth floor. September 2 we were finally on our way with stopover in Beijing. There, they had mechanical problems and flight to Houston was delayed four hours and we missed our connection. In Houston IAH, Air China offered no meal voucher, no hotel accommodations, or taxi fare. We were left on our own. No help at all from Air China personnel. Next day we flew to Charlotte via United Airlines, two days beyond our original schedule. The money we saved could not compensate for the stress, no sleep, and exhaustion I went through. I arrived home and was sick for a week. Definitely not worth it.
RouteMNL to IAH via PEK
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"will not recommend to others"

(Taiwan)

Taipei to Shanghai. Terrible arrangement for flights affected by typhoons. No email nor text message notice when flight cancelled due to typhoon, while other airlines flying exactly the same day, same time, same route operates normally. When asked about arrangement for flight cancelled, the only reply is: no transfer to other airlines, no food nor hotel arrangement assistance, but given another Air China reservation 2 days later. Ridiculously, that new reservation turned out to be "not recorded" on their check in counter, and we became on "waiting list". Then the flight was delayed without notice, the food was awful. Not a pleasant journey for my family and I, and will not recommend to others.
RouteTPE to PVG
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"ticket is by far the cheapest"

Verified Review | London to Singapore via Beijing. The aircraft is one of the newest, and the entertainment system has improved quite a lot since I travel. The meal, particularly the first one from LHR to Beijing is one of the best. The crew smiled, although their English could be improved. A water run every 30 minutes or so which is great. The seat pitch is good, as Boeing 777 is still running by 9 seats rather 10 per row. No wifi onboard. The flight from Beijing to Singapore, and final section from Beijing to LHR has been delayed for 1 and 2 hours respectively. They delivered exceptional value for money, as the ticket is by far the cheapest. The only minus point is that they do not give the exit row even at counter check in, claiming you have to pay for it - when boarding is completed, people need to fight for those seats which have become free now - why you not give people free in the first place, very strange.
AircraftBoeing 777 / A330
RouteLHR to SIN via PEK

"a smiling crew"

(Brazil)

Verified Review | Having read previous reviews, I was worried about flying with Air China from Beijing to Osaka. Everything was indeed a nice surprise. Very fast check-in, where my Star Alliance Gold was immediately honored, lounge offered nice chinese food with a large choice of beverages, as well as fast Wi-Gi (no Google, no Gmail). Quick boarding in a brand new aircraft, with a respectable pitch. Hot meal with free wines and beers, offered repeatedly. And, most important of all, a smiling crew, who dealt with a significant delay with a lot of attention.
RoutePEK to KIX
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"need to refurbish their older A330-200"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Honolulu to Beijing. I was quite nervous traveling with Air China but I was on tight budget for summer holiday, so I decided to take the risk. Food was not bad. My IFE did not work, but film choices were not bad. Flight attendants spoke in English to my friend who does not speak Chinese and they smiled. Air China might need to refurbish their older A330-200 aircrafts, especially the inflight entertainment system. The economy class seats are nearly as hard as stone
AircraftA330-200
RouteHNL to PEK
Date FlownAugust 2016

'crew provide better service"

(China)

Verified Review | I usually fly with Air China,but there is no vacant seat in business class,so I have to choose economy class seat. However,the crew in economy class provide better service than I expected. I told one of the crew that I am a vegetarian,unfortunately,I forgot to reserve a meal for myself, and I was surprised that the crew got me a special meal with vegetable and egg during the meal-service time. I really appreciated.
RoutePEK to XIY
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"really bad customer service"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Shanghai to Beijing. Extremely bad customer service. Flight was cancelled due to "bad weather", although other airlines had still operated flights into Beijing. However, after a long talk with the ground staff, I was rebooked onto another flight the next day. This was a quite old and disgusting Boeing 737. We had to wait in the plane for about one hour before finally had taken off (with over 30°C outside) and I had to sit in Economy Class although Premium Economy was booked. Food (some kind of chicken) wasn't good as well (just eatable). I asked at the counter to get a refund of the difference between Premium Economy and Economy, but they told me that they are not responsible for this ocasion and that I should contact the European customer service although I'd booked the ticked online from the official Air China website. Back home and now already 4 days ago, I've sent a mail to Air China in Austria but haven't got a response till now. So maybe I'll now take measures to get some money back. Summarized, never fly Air China unless you want your flight to be delayed (over 70% chance!!) or even cancelled with a really bad customer service as well.
RouteSHA to PEK
Date FlownAugust 2016

"crew are not interested"

London to Chongqing via Beijing. I use Air China purely as it has the most frequencies as I travel to China frequently. The aircraft are normally dirty, crew are not interested and service is very poor. The seat belt sign remains on all the time as they quote safety, even when turbulence. Constant announcement and very old IFE makes the journey a pain. I am a member of their frequent flier and tried to use points to get a free ticket or upgrade, firstly the website does not allow it, so I emailed the frequent flyer club, no response, so I emailed again. Was told not available - I asked for other dates and not available. Basically it's a joke and you cannot use points. Terrible airline.
RouteLHR to CKG via PEK
Date FlownAugust 2016

"neither friendly not unfriendly"

(China)

Verified Review | Shanghai to Beijing. Plane was okay, new Boeing 747-8. Crew as usual neither friendly not unfriendly. Food was served and I wonder why they serve an empty bread. When I checked what was on the heated baguette provided I found to my surprise a tiny peace of meat in the middle and the rest was just bread. But I do not understand why Air China seem to be incapable to get some advisor to be at least a decent international airline. The food really sucks, they better serve nothing.
RouteSHA to PEK
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"unpleasant to say the least"

Verified Review | I flew with Air China from London to Manila via Beijing with my family. I tried to check-in online a day before our flight and its system does not work and gives me a lot of error messages for no reason at all. This left us no option but to check-in physically at the Heathrow Airport. Because of my inability to check-in online and select a seat, the entire family – my wife and 12-year old son were also seated apart! On our way back to London via Beijing, and given my bad experience with its online check-in system, I tried again to use its online check-in system on the hope that it will work. I used it 2 days before our flight but simply suffered the same plight for this horrible flight. The system simply does not work. Our flight back to the UK was unpleasant to say the least. The crew is rude, and I thought that their rudeness may be due to their inability to speak English but it was not. The food is no good either.
RouteMNL to LHR via PEK