Top 100 Airlines

Air China

"terrible airline service"

Hangzhou to San Francisco via Beijing with Air China. Terrible airline service, will never fly with Air China again despite competitive pricing. The first plane delay was our flight from Hangzhou to Beijing, our flight is at 11 am. When we check in at 9 am, the counter service did not notify us at all that the plane will be delayed. We go to the gate to board the plane at 10.40 am and we just find out that the plane will be delayed until 12.30 pm. We have to catch Beijing to SFO flight at 3.10 pm and that will leave us with only 40 mins to transfer. The person at the gate ask us to go back to the counter to change the flight to 12 pm. Once we are at the counter, we ask the person at the counter to switch the flight, we got into some argument and she told us that 40 minutes should be enough to transfer the flight which is extremely ridiculous - We finally get her to do the work to change the flight for us but we have wait to until 11.30 am to confirm that the 12 pm flight won't be delay - with the help from the manager, we got written commitment that the airline will be responsible for the cost of delay. We also ask her to ensure that they will correctly move our luggage that already check in to another flight. She just brush us off and told us that it will be taken care of. We are suspicious and we can't do anything at that moment. We finally get on the plane but it was delayed for 20 minutes. We finally make it to the connecting gate at 3.30 pm. When we land in SFO, our luggage was not there. We were trying to file complaint through phone but were ask to write it to customer service via e-mail. Got a reply that I should call local service (same number that we call before). Worst experience ever.
RouteHGH to SFO via PEK

"seats extremely comfortable"

Verified Review | Singapore to Ulaanbaatar via Beijing. Had little choice in choosing operators to Ulaanbataar from Singapore. Either Air China or Korean Air were only valid options but big difference in pricing and timings so was forced to fly Air China. The A330-200 standard economy seats were extremely comfortable for 6-7 Hour flight to/from Singapore Beijing. I am 6ft 3. No issue with legroom or pitch. Aircraft was clean. All flights left and departed close to on time. One delay from Beijing due bussing operations. Cabin crew were pretty attentive. Checked Bags arrived no problem despite very tight connections. In-Flight Entertainment offering for English speakers was quite limited (bring an iPad) and the food offering was very substandard. Ground Staff in Beijing were quite rude. The very bad transit in Beijing can be very frustrating for international transit passengers - 2 needless queues. This is an airport security requirement and appears to be outside airlines control. Recommend sitting in front of aircraft for all arrivals into Beijing to be at the top of the queue.
RouteSIN to ULN via PEK
Date FlownMay 2016

"lack of information an outrage"

Verified Review | Worst flight I have had with a 23 hour delay on the flight from Paris to Beijing. After providing a hotel for the night the next day we had to wait 7 hours at the departure gate with the flight being delayed more and more, with nobody from Air China to inform us or help us. We had no information at all about what was going to happen or our next flight. We finally took off the next day, 23 hours late with only the information that we would be taken care of in Beijing. In Beijing they provided a hotel room that I had to share with a stranger and gave us the new flight time but couldn't help for my last connecting flight which was not with them. Finally arrived in Melbourne with a delay of 27 hours and I had to rebook and pay for my last flight to Hobart. I would never recommend Air China, the lack of help and information was an outrage.
RouteCDG to MEL
Date FlownMarch 2016

"a wonderful experience"

Verified Review | Sydney to Beijing with Air China and a wonderful experience. Staff were courteous, food was excellent and plentiful both in the lounges and on the planes. We were met and whisked through Beijing airport at lightning speed with the loveliest of chaperones. Price for the tickets were about a third of what you would pay on any other airline. This airline is definitely the best value for money. Didn't bother with the in flight entertainment, so can't comment on that.
RouteSydney to Beijing
Date FlownMarch 2016

"penny wise and dollar foolish"

Ho Chi Minh City to Washington via Beijing with Air China. The international flight from Beijing to Washington was better than the flight from Vietnam. The short 5 hour flight was very cramped, with no inflight entertainment. They also lost 40+ pieces of luggage. They did return it within two days, but without an apology. The layover in Beijing was too short, and both times I almost missed my connecting flight. The flight is cheap, but sometimes I feel penny wise and dollar foolish.
RouteSGN to IAD via PEK
Date FlownApril 2016

"you get what you pay for"

Verified Review | I had read a lot of the reviews about Air China and I was prepared for the worst for my flight from Bangkok to Washing Dulles via Beijing. For the most part nothing went wrong. The flight was delayed for one hour which actually suited me since I was running late to the airport. The flight to Beijing was full of empty seats so it was great to stretch out and really relax. There was no entertainment screens on the back of the seats but I didn't expect there to be for a 4-hour flight. I chose to eat some type of rice meal with veggies and cuts of ham (I think?) and it was nothing to write home about. I couldn't even finish it but you get what you pay for and for a $500 dollar ticket I wasn't complaining. When we got to Beijing the transition to our next flight was pretty simple since the layover was about 5 hours. When it was time to start boarding we squeezed into the bus and took a short ride over to the plane that'd be bringing us to Washing Dulles Int. This place did have entertainment on the back of each screens. I enjoyed the selection and it made the flight go quickly. As for the meals they offered chicken and rice and duck and rice. I chose the duck and it was ok, again nothing to brag about. If I had one thing I didn't like I'd say the time they made us wait to eat the second meal almost felt like torture. Next time I know to bring snacks along. The second meal I chose the beef and noodles and it was actually pretty good. The side was some dark chopped up root-type plant that had a flavor similar to seaweed (it was good). I didn't even bother to try and eat the last meal they handed out. It was a 3-set of sandwiches comprised of 1 tuna, 1 ham and 1 cheese. The turbulence never got too bad, the staff were constantly moving around to assist people and most importantly the flight got us from point A to B safe and sound. Again you get what you pay for and I'd like to think I got my moneys worth.
RouteBKK to IAD via PEK
Date FlownApril 2016

"treated with such disrespect"

Verified Review | Phuket to New York JFK via Beijing with Air China. This airline literally ruined the end of my vacation. First of all, the crew from the ticket counter to the airline stewardesses were rude. During the 13 hour flight, the food was disgusting and I was provided the equivalent of 2 dixie cups of water. When I asked for 2 more cups of water, I was told I was only allowed 1! When I asked the second time, I was told to go into the galley and get it myself. I have never been treated with such disrespect. On the way there, in my weariness from traveling 32 hours, I left my tablet in the seat pocket. When I called the airline once I got to the hotel and realized it was missing, I was told that it was not their responsibility and that I would have to deal with the Phuket airport. I called them and of course no one spoke english. Upon returning to the airport at the end of my trip, there was zero Air China customer service attendants to be found and their office was empty. To add insult to injury, while in Bejing on my 1 hour layover, the ticket attendant literally yelled at me and fellow passengers that we were 'slow' and needed to 'hurry up' to make our next flight to JFK - our plane had just arrived! Once getting to JFK, my luggage was nowhere to be found. I had to go to the Lufthansa counter to report my lost luggage becausee (surprise!) no Air China employees could be located. I was told that nothing was in the system tracking my bag and now, 4 days later, my bag is still no where to be found. I can't even file a missing bag claim with Air China because there is no customer service number and in order to file, you must mail or fax (what is this, 1980?) to a number that is provided by the local lost and found office which is unobtainable because no one answers the phone at JFK lost and found and no one returns calls. Long story short, saving money is not worth it. The $200 I had saved has now cost me over $2500 in lost valuables with no remediation.
RouteHKT to JFK via PEK

"major attitude issue"

Chengdu to Tokyo. The crew service is horrible and they have major attitude issue. The food is lousy, and no inflight entertainment on a 5 hour flight. They close the washroom before landing 20 mins in advance. Even it is urgent, crew doesn't allow passenger to use toilet after it is closed. All mobile devices are not allowed to use during the flight. (Editor Note: it is the CAAC in China, not the airline, that apply cabin securing times and ban use of mobile phones in flight mode)
RouteCTU to NRT
Date FlownDecember 2015

"would fly again for that price"

Verified Review | I flew Air China from London Heathrow to Hong Kong via Beijing return. I booked the tickets with Air China because they were extremely cheap at £340. I was prepared for a bad experience but I was pleasantly surprised. The cabin was relatively spacious in 3-3-3 layout, better than Emirates who use 3-4-3. The IFE system was pretty good with an alright selection of movies. Not as many as you might have on Emirates, BA etc but enough hollywood movies in English to entertain you for an 11 hour flight. There are about twice as many Chinese films as there are English. On my outbound the showcase film was Star Wars VII and on return it was The Revenant: a better selection than expected. Each seat came with a blanket and a pillow - the pillow was comfortable. Food was ok, choices of one meat with rice or a different meat with noodles and for breakfast a choice of Chinese (congee etc) or Western (omelette etc). The food and drink selection has nothing on other airlines but you get what you pay for. Flight were on time and flight attendants were attentive with good English and regular water services. On the return trip they lost my luggage in PEK. The bag was delivered to my home 4 days later but I had to make the calls to HKG and PEK Air China baggage offices to chase it up as the agent in London couldn't tell me even if the bag made it on the first flight. Overall very pleasantly surprised with Air China, excellent value for the money paid. Caution with checked baggage, I know I was unlucky and everyone else's bags arrived, but I would fly with Air China again especially for that price.
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER
RouteLHR to HKG via PEK

"a very pleasant flight"

Verified Review | After buying a great price ticket to Tokyo with Air China, regretted it after reading reviews. In the event I had a good flight. Everything was on time, service was just fine. The food was ok - better than I've had on some flights with other airlines. I had a screen on the seat in front with 40-50 movies to watch, some of which were pretty new releases / blockbusters. I couldn't see what the problem was. My cushion had a tiny stain on it, at this price - big deal. I have to wonder what people expect when buying a bucket shop ticket - it got me there, which was all I expected but it was a very pleasant flight. My onward flight to Tokyo was similarly good but without the inflight entertainment. Have to say that after 11 hours in economy my posterior was starting to complain. I kept waiting for bad stuff I'd read about to occur and it never did. Maybe I got lucky but I thought it was great value for the money I paid. BA or ANA would have cost me almost double what I paid and I would use Air China again without hesitation and, they didn't lose my luggage on a 1hr 20 transit and the staff were nice to me.
RouteLHR to HND via PEK