Vote Now

Air China

"I would never use Air China again"

Verified Review | London Heathrow to Xi'an return via Beijing. I would never use Air China again. They rescheduled two flights, one before we went and another before we returned. Then the return connecting flight from Xian to Beijing was almost two hours late which caused us to miss our flight back from Beijing to Heathrow. They had to get us new flights back to London, mine was via Paris and my wife and stepdaughter had to go on a separate flight via Madrid. The reason for this they told us was they couldn't get us 3 seats together on the same flight. Later my wife told me she saw at least one guy sleeping across 3 seats on her flight, so this was utter rubbish. Total time to travel door to door coming home was almost 40 hrs - ridiculous for a journey that should normally take 24hrs. I've travelled to China many many times over the past 10 years and have never missed a flight with any other airline. As if this wasn't bad enough the food is absolutely disgusting as well and the inflight movies were dated and a waste of time. No apologies received from any staff at Air China - total disgrace. The flights were cheap and you get what you pay for - never again!
RouteLondon to Xi'an via Beijing

"Extremely rude crew"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Delhi via Beijing. Never travel with Air China. Did not even serve coffee or tea? Extremely rude crew and the ground staff. Did not have my special meal which I had ordered on line and refused to acknowledge that they received it in spite of my showing them the Air China printout. I had to go hungry as I could not eat the chicken they offered. The entertainment was terrible and they only had 6 movies. Half of the time the entertainment did not work.
RouteSan Francisco to Delhi via Beijing
Date FlownApril 2017

"I would choose another airline"

(Estonia)

Verified Review | Ho Chi Minh City to Stockholm via Beijing. Not good experience with Air China. Staff not too friendly, food is not good - on a 10 hour flight we got chicken and rice twice, would have preferred two different meals. Not many new movies, one of our group PTVs was broken. We had a delay and missed our connecting flight, we got a hotel in Arlanda which was good, but no dinner (we got breakfast though). Next time I would choose another airline.
RouteHCMC to Stockholm via Beijing
Date FlownApril 2017

"never fly Air China again"

Unverified | My flight Air China from JFK New York to Beijing was delayed by 3 hours causing us to miss our connecting flight to Phuket. They threw us in a hotel with no help or guidance. We had to ask around the airport to figure it out. Then our flight the next day from Beijing to Phuket was delayed by another 2 hours. When we go to leave Phuket several days later our flight is delayed again by 2 hours. Moral of this experience: I will never fly with Air China again.
RouteNew York JFK to Phuket via Beijing

"Avoid if you can"

(Lithuania)

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Auckland via Beijing. Avoid if you can. It was my first time I used Air China, as it was cheaper option for our way from Frankfurt to New Zealand and back. It is hard to say what was worse - Air China or transfer in Beijing airport - but both were an experience I would recommend to avoid. Out of four flights three were late. Flight PEK-AKL was delayed over 4 hours and only after waiting more than two hours in freezing Beijing airport some water, biscuits and blankets were delivered in "grab-if-you-fast" style. Cabin comfort is low - older aircraft cabins are worn-out, while in the new Boeing 787 legroom was painfully short. Service looks like forced one - with no smile and not-so-well hidden wish to kill you when asking for a second drink or refill. Food is not tasty regardless your choice of chicken/rice; beef/rice, pork/rice of seafood/rice. Same as choice of movies in onboard entertainment - unless you are big fan of Chinese cinematography. As most flights have transfer in Beijing, this is another experience - with multiple checks, queues even in night time and huge spaces that get quite cold after sunset. And I am still waiting for checked-in luggage that was stopped in Beijing due to "security reasons".
AircraftBoeing 787-9 / 777-300
RouteFrankfurt to Auckland via Beijing
Date FlownApril 2017

"a 14 hour layover in Beijing"

Verified Review | Taipei to New York via Beijing. Why you should not fly Air China. The flight from Taipei to New York seems a bit cheaper on the surface but there's a 14 hour layover in Beijing. So you need a hotel for that. Which, with a bit of drama I managed. Don't get the hotel in the terminal, get the one outside. Yes, they don't answer the phone, but it's still a valid if ultra ghetto place to sleep. More seriously when I got to NY I found the lock on my suitcase was broken. Checking I found the following missing an old Windows laptop, clothing, an iPod and iPad. I asked them for compensation but they're diligently stonewalling me with 'this is not the right number', 'you must claim within 7 days'. Even though I've called all the numbers and the emails they've sent me show someone in Air China got their documents emailed back inside the 7 day window. Right now they're just ignoring emails. Another interesting thing they said was 'did it have a lithium ion battery?". The Windows laptop didn't as it happened. The iPod and iPad obviously did. But does that mean they can remove them without compensation? Because it sure seems that way.
RouteTPE to JFK via PEK

"basic service throughout"

Verified Review | Bangkok to Los Angeles via Beijing with Air China. Overall, I received basic service throughout the flights. A bit like a budget airline. My connecting flight from Beijing seemed a little better when there was also an entertainment system to keep people busy. Food was basic, chicken and rice or noodles, offered on both flights, however a good range of drinks offered. During my time at check in at Bangkok, the service was abysmal. After queuing for an hour and 20 minutes at check in time (there were still a lot of people behind me queing) I was met by rude staff. I felt very upset by the way I was treated. Sometimes a smile or someone being polite goes a long way, especially having to wait in long queues when you also have a 23 hour flight ahead.
RouteBangkok to Los Angeles via Beijing

"it was not very good"

Verified Review | Shenzhen to Frankfurt, and it is my first time flight with Air China, and it was not very good. First, the international lounge at Shenzhen airport is too small. It is only about 150 meter squares, and they do not have shower room. Second, the aircraft looks old, and there are a lot damages on the chair. The TV do not work very well, it is working very slow, and the most important thing is that they do not offer pajama and noice canceling earphone for business class passengers. But the food onboard looks nice, but it do not taste as good as I expect.
AircraftA330-300
RouteShenzhen to Frankfurt
Date FlownMarch 2017

"seats looking worn and dirty"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | Moscow to Hong Kong via Beijing. Moscow SVO Airport terminal 2F is a scary terminal with very rude and not so orderly security process. Boarding was a free for all, no priority given to passengers with special needs, business class or Star alliance high tier members. Air China ground staff did not seem bothered neither as they were chatting with themselves with arms folded watching the mess sorting out by itself. Once onboard, despite the seats looking worn and dirty, the cabin attendants were amazing. Addressing passengers by surname, kneeling down to speak and engaging in friendly but not overly intrusive small talks. The lady noticed I bought caviar and offered some dry ice. Landed in Beijing late and the nightmare restarted. We were greeted by poorly dressed Air China staff, turned out, all Air China staff in Beijing Airport were poorly groomed. They barked out orders only in Mandarin and to other Russians who do not speak the language, they resorted to pushing and pointing to the transfer zone, very long queue to get our boarding cards stamped and when I asked a question to an Air China staff if that was the right queue, she told me 'only sticker, only sticker', so I went off to look for another queue and was sternly turned back by airport security to ask me to rejoin the sticker queue. Turned out what the lady meant was she was there only for people with a sticker (those that had tight connections) and I should not ask her questions. It took over 40 minutes to clear the 'transit boarding pass stamp' and security formalities. Reached the lounge with 50 minutes to spare but was turned away by the lounge agent telling me that the connecting flight was already ready for boarding. It was a lie as after a 15 minute stroll to the boarding gate, it was not for another 20 minutes before boarding commenced. Once on board, the excellent inflight experience returned. Such a shame that the airline could not get its acts together on the ground - at least ask the Beijing ground staff to be nice or just dress properly for their job,.
RouteMoscow to Hong Kong via Beijing

"choose another airline"

(Japan)

Verified Review | Tokyo to Milan via Beijing. Horrible experience, not recommended at all. Maybe worse food ever for an airline (and I fly quite often), on-board entertainment system was half-broken (the movie froze every ten seconds so I couldn't watch anything). Cabin crew are really rude, no smiles no matter what, asking for a glass of water gives you back a annoyed face. Ok, it is quite cheap, but really, give you a favour and choose another airline.
RouteTokyo to Milan via Beijing