Vote Now

Air China

"try to avoid Air China"

(Spain)

Verified Review | Hong Kong to Madrid via Beijing. Hong Kong to Beijing flight should've landed at 21:00 but we took off at 2200hrs! I lost my connection in Beijing to Madrid and Air China gave me a hotel room (it seems that some passengers had to share the room with unknown people!) and a seat in the CA907 flight the day after. When I arrived in Madrid, I didnt find my baggage: it will arrive 2 days later. Service on board is poor: it's a very long flight but the food was not enough (especially beverage: 2-3 glass of beverage in 11-12 hours, are you serious?), seats uncomfortable (it wasn't possible to reclinate it very well), hostesses and stewards are rarely nice and they couldn't communicate properly with non-chinese passenger because of their so limited english! They didn't know how to tell me at which time we will be landed or what I have to do when in Beijing. The most funny thing is Air China sent me an email to communicate me a change of hour of a flight, and the email was partly in english and partly in chinese! And then they sent me the same email totally in English - 4 days after my landing at home! Try to avoid Air China.
RouteHong Kong to Madrid via Beijing
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"disgusting service and attitude"

Verified Review | Bangkok to London via Beijing. I've never written a review before but I'm so appalled by Air China's service that I need to warn others. My flight from Bangkok to Beijing was delayed due to snow in Beijing which meant that I missed my connecting flight from China to London. I wasn't mad at this as bad weather conditions can't be helped but the staff at Air China were unhelpful beyond belief, weren't accommodating or understanding at all and didn't even have the customer service to even apologise for the inconvenience! 10 stranded Brits were appalled by the way Air China handed the inconvenience and that all Air China did was put us on the same flight the next day and barked at us that they would arrange a hotel for us. To make things worse not only could Air China then not retrieve our luggage which we asked for after we waited for it for over 2 hours telling us rudely to just "wait more". It took them a total of 4 hours from when we landed, to take and just leave us at a hotel without even translating what had happened to the hotel staff. We all then were left to argue against the hotel staff about an agreement that they had in place with Air China which was that it was two people to a double room regardless of who, and if we wanted a single room to ourselves we had to pay, which meant that we had to stay in a room with complete strangers! Absolutely ridiculous and unsafe! The hotel staff were equally not accommodating or understanding, we were provided with food but were only allowed one bottle of water per person for the night. The next day, we asked Air China if anything could be done for the massive inconvenience and just got a rude "no". I'm disgusted at the way Air China operate and their rude staff and couldn't believe that they treated us like the inconvenience was our fault. It was so stressful and looking back to the events, it's unbelievable how we've been treated. When I asked to speak to the manager about how long we had to wait for our transport to our hotel, he just barked at me in limited English telling me to just "wait, it will be soon". It's disgusting customer service and attitude, I urge people to not use them as it is not worth saving a bit of money to be treated in this way and ruining your holiday.
RouteBangkok to London via Beijing
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"experience was better than average"

Verified Review | Melbourne to Beijing. The tickets were so much cheaper than any other airline so I figured it was worth at least trying. I couldn't work out how to order vegetarian food when getting the ticket and then when I tried to call the airline to make the request for the special meal I couldn't get through. I was a little worried as it's a very long flight not to eat on. The plane wasn't super flashy but it was a normal plane with screens in the seats for every passenger and there were a lot of Chinese movies (it is a Chinese airline), but there were more than enough English speaking films. The cabin crew were polite. I explained the situation as far as the vegetarian meal and they apologized but let me know that they had no record of request for my vegetarian meal. The meals were served around me and then a hostess stood over me, with a meal that had located a spare one from business class. For the voyage back I was able to request the vege meal and received the same service all the way back to New York. So it's all relative, it's the only time I ever flew Air China but I figured people are way more likely to make bad reviews to vent a bit, my experience was better than average.
RouteMelbourne to Beijing

"seats were comfortable"

Verified Review | Guangzhou to Frankfurt via Beijing. Because of the price we paid for business class we were surprised about the value we got. Guangzhou to Beijing we were in domestic first class because there is no business class on this flight. The staff was friendly and food and drinks was a lot. Beijing to Frankfurt the staff was also nice. The seats were comfortable and we could lay down 180 degrees. What was not so good was the movie selection at the inflight entertainment. The choice was less and unknown movies. Also WIFI connection was not available on the flights.
RouteCAN to FRA via PEK
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"very low marks for Air China"

(Poland)

Unverified | Economy class on Warsaw to Beijing route. Full flight, departed almost on time. Cabin a little bit tired and dirty. Plane was quite dated. Cabin crew without any smile, even some of them unfriendly. Food choices limited and even during first service after departure from Warsaw we were not able to order glass of white wine, cause as crew said "no have yet". Strange that just after take off during first round of drink service they were out of white wine. We ordered red wine instead, but it was all what we can have - 20 minutes later they were out of red wine and beer as well. I know that plane it is not a restaurant, but anyway strange. Old IFE system with poor screens and limited offer inside. Language skills of crew also very limited. In general, very low marks for Air China.
RouteWarsaw to Beijing
Date FlownOctober 2016

"the fare was pretty good"

(Austria)

Verified Review | Air China from Vienna to Barcelona return. We took advantage of this 5th freedom flight on the way from Beijing to Barcelona with a stop in Vienna from where we flew. It is more convenient to fly on a widebody aircraft, even on a relatively short route such as this one. And the fare was pretty good, with checked bag included and an inflight meal. For our dates, lowcost airlines such as Vueling were selling this route for the same price, so why not try Air China? First disappointment came shortly after take off, when they told us they don't have vegetarian meal we ordered a few months in advance, and the flight attendant just came to us with her list to show us we're really not on the list. Not very professional. Otherwise the onward flight was fine. On the return trip, after being ensured by the checkin staff, we were served the vegetarian meal, which was just ok. Edible, but not good compared to other airlines. The flight attendants were polite, but not very personal and when they spoke English, you could not understand it anyway. And even though the plane was 2-3 years old on both ways, it wasn't very clean, in one of the toilet cells there was a missing lock, so in order to lock the door you had to use your nail to move the lock. The seats had a small IFE touchscreen, with a very slow system, a very very few Hollywood movies and a lot of Chinese movies; they had a very good 3D map flight information system though. So an okay experience, I wouldn't mind flying with them on long haul if the price was a lot cheaper than other airlines.
AircraftA330-300
RouteVIE to BCN

"the worst airline ever"

Verified Review | Newark to Ho Chi Minh City via Beijing, and Air China are the worst airline ever. Do not know how they are in business. One month before my international trip they canceled my return flight for reason "irregular operations" and gave me no reasonable alternatives for rebooking (3 days ahead or like 4 days after the initial date - and no hotel or compensation offered for the inconvenience). There were available flights that day but they refused to rebook me on different flights if i didn't pay extra, given the prices are now so expensive a month ahead. So essentially they canceled my trip last moment. I had to take the refund and get new tickets which were now twice the price. Also their wait times to get in touch with customer service are about 1 hour - ridiculous to the extreme.
RouteEWR to SGN via PEK
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"the worst customer service"

Unverified | Bangkok to London via Beijing. Air China provided me with the worst customer service I have ever seen. My partner could not fly with them because he missed one of his 5 last names from the boarding pass (fine I get that) but after 5 hours of being on the phone trying to fix it, there was nobody available or capable to make the change. The food absolutely sucks, so I'd pack your own. On the way back my bag got left in China, which the lady at Heathrow said had happened for the 3rd day in a row. I contacted Air China via the email address I was given, to be passed onto someone else, who said that was the wrong email and I should have emailed within 7 days. Which I did but they take at least 5 days to reply. Do not be tempted by cheaper tickets. The experience just isn't worth it.
RouteBangkok to London via Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"their staff didn't speak English"

Verified Review | Delhi to Washington via Beijing. My flight was first delayed by more than 12 hours and I was made to miss my connecting flight from Beijing. I was still asked to board this flight from Delhi by Air China staff even though they knew that they won't be able to provide me connecting flight. So they lied to me. After reaching China the rude staff again told me that we don't know which your next flight will be, and I have to go and talk to the ticket office in the morning, and it was 11.30 in night. I was sent to a hotel where the staff was very rude and denied to help or cooperate. Once somehow after managing to reach to the airport in the morning (I had no China money) I had to run around the ticket office so I can find the flight for US. I was left stranded in another country just like that with no further information. After fighting at ticket office for long time, I was given next flight for 8 hours later, and I had to spend entire day on Beijing airport and my luggage was also not transferred to the next flight. I had to stand 3 hours in front of lost and found to pick my luggage for next check in. And their staff didn't speak English.
RouteDelhi to Washington via Beijing
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"austere and not at all friendly"

Verified Review | We recently flew from Los Angeles to Bangkok via Beijing. When we arrived at LAX, the Air China desks were a little hard to find (it appeared that they do not maintain a normal presence there but rather use a communal check-in area for less frequent airlines). The attendants were fast and got us seated where we wanted. The flight left on time and the plane was new. Economy for a long flight is never pleasant, but for the most part it was a decent trip. Meal service initially was delayed, but it was served hot. Typical airline food, but free beer was nice. Overall, the FAs were rather austere and not at all friendly. We landed in Beijing, and it was a nightmare. Our connecting flight was delayed about 3 hours and the cattle-call in the area was exhausting. They loaded us onto trams to take us out onto the tarmac to board a very large widebody aircraft when it appeared many normal departure gates were open. We were dressed for the warmth of Bangkok, and it was below freezing in Beijing, so the 100 yard dash across the tarmac to board the 700-200 was miserable. As a side note, the International Terminal at Beijing was freezing cold as well and the security seemed excessive. The flight from Beijing to Bangkok was in a much older plane, with no individual IFE systems, which made the flight quite boring. For the money though, it was hard to beat (about $700 roundtrip).
AircraftBoeing 777-300ER / 777-200