Top 100 Airports

Air Berlin

"excellent and efficient"

(Jordan)

Verified Review | Flew Cologne to Berlin with Air Berlin. Ground crew were excellent and efficient in the boarding process and such, and so were the cabin crew. The flight arrived on time. The service offered - free of charge - consisted of a salty or a sweet snack and a drink. This was great for such a short flight. Transferring at Berlin Tegel could not be easier. Berlin to Keflavik on-board service offered consisted of the same snacks, which was not really enough, however, you could purchase meals onboard, but I found the prices to be rather steep. The flight arrived early. Also, the Lindt chocolate hearts they give out at the end of the flight are a nice touch. Overall, would fly Air Berlin again if the prices where attractive.
AircraftBoeing 737, A321
RouteCGN to KEF via TXL
Date FlownAugust 2016

"I felt properly caged in"

I fly Sydney - Frankfurt about once a year to visit family and normally fly Singapore or Etihad Airways. This was the first time I flew Air Berlin long-haul for one part of the journey (under Etihad's code). I had opted against booking an exit row seat because the flight was only 6 hours, however as soon as I sat down in my seat I realized that had been a bad mistake. I'm quite tall (1.77cm or 5'10) and while I never find airline seats in economy to be spacious the legroom on this flight was ridiculously small. I had to sit all the way at the back of my seat to not touch the seat in front of me with my knees. Once the child in front me decided to recline his chair all the way back for the entire flight I felt properly caged in. The service was friendly and efficient - I was surprised they sell you snacks rather than making these complimentary - they're not exactly a budget airline, at least my ticket price can't be called cheap. They hand you a bottle of water which I loved as I drink a lot during these flights but in reality it was to reduce the staff's workload as they weren't seen for hours after the meal service. We departed and landed on time and communication from the captain and crew was adequate. Check-in was uneventful - what you'd expect. The inflight entertainment wasn't overwhelming but good enough to pass the time (VOD screens for everyone, slightly smaller than I'm used to).
RouteDUS to AUH
Date FlownJuly 2016

"getting worse and worse"

Verified Review | Air Berlin's service and punctuality record is getting worse and worse and I avoid using this airline now when I can. My last flights, AB 8746 in July from Düsseldorf to Milan and AB 8731 in 13 June from Milan to Berlin were delayed. Communication with AB is difficult, waiting times at the hotline can be over 15 mins - only to speak to badly trained staff. On Sunday 12 June (I had an email informing me of a cancellation of my direct LIN - TXL flight for 13 June), I had to call the hotline three times to find alternative ways of getting to Berlin (in this case via Vienna). I ended up being double booked - hence the many calls. As a OneWorld Sapphire member (through BA), I am also frustrated that AB is gotten worse in seat selection. While not so long ago, a Sapphire member would get priority seats, this is not the case anymore and seats can only be booked from row 15. So, as it happens, on flight AB 8476 on 7 July, rows 3-14 were almost completely empty. Seating is also really bad and cramped - not more difference to Ryanair. On 7 July, the plane was not cleaned properly, maybe to make up for the delay of 40 mins? Another "policy!" to alienate frequent and business travellers is the restrictive hand luggage check before security at some German airports. I would understand if AB was a low-cost airline trying to make some more money by passengers checking in luggage. However, AB is still charging tariffs closer to Lufthansa than Easyjet or Ryanair, so it should at least try and show more flexibility for its passengers, particularly business travellers. In any event, I don't think that AB goes anywhere near the standard I would expect from a One World airline.
RouteDUS to LIN

"service was impeccable"

Verified Review | Flew Air Berlin from Düsseldorf to Miami. Service was impeccable. Flight attendants were available all the flight and trying very hard to please passengers. Food presentation was great and very tasty, Business class seats E and F are to be avoided. Very difficult to get in/out. Shoulder width very restricted.
AircraftAB330
RouteDUS to MIA
Date FlownJuly 2016

"poorly handled once we landed"

Verified Review | The flight from Stockholm to Dusseldorf with Air Berlin was fine, despite a 2.5 hour delay. What was terrible was how poorly Air Berlin handled passengers once we landed in Dusseldorf. The stairs weren't ready for our plane when we landed, finally the stairs arrived and we were loaded onto buses. At the gate which we were dropped off via bus, the door into the airport was locked and airport personnel wouldn't unlock for us. Our entire plane load of people were standing in a stairway, trying to figure out what the hold up was. It was very stressful. Then the bags were delayed another 1 to 1.5 hours because they weren't unloaded and were sitting on plane. This was very disappointing to see how all these issues were so poorly handled. When I contacted Air Berlin, they didn't have anything to say, except that since we were only delayed 2.5 hours on the front end of our trip, the rest was basically not their problem. I won't fly Air Berlin again, they clearly don't care.
RouteARN to DUS

"on time and efficient"

We recently traveled on an Air Berlin flight from Los Angeles to Dusseldorf direct. We flew Coach on the way out and business class on the way home. Both flights were okay and uneventful. We paid extra to sit in the emergency row on the outbound flight. On the way back we were in business class which is nice. The staff were efficient but not overly friendly. We were served soft drinks and a dinner on the coach portion of our flight. The food was ok and after dinner the flight attendant came around with bottled waters. The staff disappeared for a few hours after dinner. They would come if called but otherwise they were not around. I would fly the airline again without hesitation. The airline was on time and efficient. The price we paid was great.
RouteLAX to DUS
Date FlownJuly 2016

"staff very attentive and friendly"

New York JFK to Krakow via Berlin with Air Berlin. Because of the short layover time, and the affordability of the tickets, it proved to be our best option as it was only slightly longer than a direct flight. We took the overnight flight from JFK to TXL on an A332, flying in economy. We made sure to get to the Airport very early, but check in was very quick and smooth, so we had ample time to do everything we needed to do. Our flight out was delayed for about 50 minutes, which is typical of almost any flight out of JFK, but because of our short layover in Berlin (just under 2 hours, plus having to go through customs) this did worry us. We were only able to get center aisle seats. The seats themselves, while comfortable to sit in, did not offer much leg room for someone like me who is 6'3" so the long haul flight was a bit uncomfortable in the later hours. The entertainment screens on our seats seemed to work, but not very well, but we tried to sleep much of the flight, so we did not fidget with it too much. The flight included diner after take off, and a light breakfast before landing. Meal was better than one would expect for economy class airline food. Staff was very attentive and friendly. We arrived in Berlin about an hour behind schedule, and because of this, the airline made a point to find anyone who had a short connection and move the up in the customs line, so they could catch their next flight. We were a bit worried, especially since we had to connect in a different terminal (and this meant going back through security at TXL). Luckily, everything moved quite quickly (German efficiency) and we made it to our connection gate with 25 minutes to spare before boarding. The second leg, was a short flight from TXL to Krakow. This was on a smaller turbo prop plane, a DC-H8. While the plane felt a bit older on the inside than the A330 we had just flown on, the leg room was much, much better. We had seats on the wing, just behind the props, but we didn't find this to be any louder than a normal flight. The flight itself was nice, and as before, the flight staff was friendly. Overall, we were very satisfied with our flight and our experience. Our only issue was on our return flight. A few days before we were scheduled to leave, we had a death in the family. This would require us to stay a few days later. Our ticket package did not allow for rebooking, but I was hoping they could work with us with options on what we could try to do. Unfortunately, they offered none, and the person I talked to did not seem interested in going further than telling me, 'There is nothing we can do for you.' Given the circumstances, I was hoping we could have figured out something, but instead, we had to book a flight through another airline (which ended up being cheaper than what it would have cost to book the return through Air Berlin). Disappointed there, but given all the good service we had up to that point, I would still fly with them.
AircraftA332 / DH8D
RouteJFK to KRK via TXL
Date FlownMay 2016

"chosen to treat me badly"

Verified Review | I haven't written a review of an airline before, but this company's lack of professionalism really stands out. My partner and I originally booked a convenient 1½-hour afternoon flight within Europe. Air Berlin then cancelled the flight and changed our itinerary (in fact, changed it twice) so that in the end it involved an early-morning departure and a 5-hour journey via a city in the opposite direction. The e-mails they sent about this were weird and confusing. We were going to simply cancel the flight, but when I contacted Air Berlin they said that they would at least reimburse the cost of staying at an airport hotel the night before, so we agreed. But then, after the flight, they refused to make the reimbursement. Instead they offered me a voucher, which I just find insulting - why on earth would I want to book with them again? I fly a lot with budget airlines, and of course have experienced plenty of delays and frustrations over the years, but have never before felt that an airline has deliberately chosen to treat me badly. Crazily, their "Guest Relation Team" has put time into sending me a string of rude e-mails. It would have been more cost-effective for them to simply pay the hotel bill, as they had committed to do.
RouteSTR to VCE
Date FlownApril 2016

"low language knowledge of the crew"

Verified Review | Flew Air Berlin from Zurich to Alicante. Quiet flight, on time. I was somehow surprised about the low language knowledge of the crew in German, English and Spanish. None of them in the economy cabin was able to understand and speak at least two of these idioms which was understandable for the customers. Another detail: Even if Air Berlin is loosing cash with its operations, they still serve you a free (awful) snack in the economy cabin.
RouteZRH to ALC
Date FlownJune 2016

"they will not honour this"

Verified Review | When searching for tickets from Zurich to Palma return, I found the best price on a Swiss travel search site, however I noticed on Air Berlin website "best Price Guarantee" option, where they claimed to refund any difference in price. Hence as I realized last final page where you click "Book Now" did not show details of the flight I copied every single step of the booking process for the claim. Even despite the fact that I provided every single print screen of the whole booking journey indicating cheaper price, Air Berlin refuses to cover the difference. Even weeks after the claim price was still lower at the Swiss travel search site, and I directed Air Berlin to check it, they still refuse to cover the difference. What is the point of the guarantee if they will not honour this? I regret booking directly through them!
RouteZRH to PMI