Best Cabin Crew

Air Berlin

"typical budget service"

(Czech Republic)

Vienna to Punta Cana via Düsseldorf, with Air Berlin for the first time. Check in went rather smoothly. A320 from Vienna to Düsseldorf has had more leg space than the transcontinental A330. On the way to Punta Cana we were supposed to have the very new aircraft that should have the internet connection. To our dismay the stewardess first announced that possibility only to deny it after 10 minutes without any explanation. The onboard WiFi was present, but locked. On our way back another A330 has had so little leg room, that flight for us above 180 cm was a real pain. All in all the airline is a typical budget service, with a pompous advertisement and a less real value.
AircraftA320 / A330
RouteVIE to PUJ via DUS
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"okay alternative to Lufthansa"

Frankfurt to Berlin with Air Berlin. The plane had a very tight seat layout. Would have been painful to fly longer than 1-1.5 hours in Economy, and I am normal sized at 180cm. I think they had a better distance between seats when I flew mid-range last time. Service is okay, boarding by groups is perfect, unless you go to the plane by bus, as happened in Frankfurt. It is an okay alternative to Lufthansa on the same destination.
RouteFRA to TXL

"glad to fly Air Berlin"

We flew Dusseldorf to Marrakech return on Air Berlin and were satisfied. Quick boarding service, mainscreen entertainment on the flight back (A320), a little snack and free soft drinks and juices. Hot meals and other snacks can be preordered or bought on board for I think fair prices. The flights were on time and the crew friendly, I'm glad to fly Air Berlin.
AircraftA321/320
RouteDUS to RAK
Date FlownFebruary 2016

"pretty much as expected"

(Denmark)

Copenhagen to Malaga via Berlin. First time with Air Berlin and it was quite ok. CPH to Berlin the flight was very open and so plenty of space. The transfer in Berlin was a bit of a hassle as it seems it is undergoing some construction work. The waiting area was terrible and that might be enough to reconsider Air Berlin as a good option. The second leg also fine, it was a bit more tight than the first, but staff was friendly enough and it was pretty much as expected. To me Air Berln does well enough for a discount airline, but cannot stack up with the other airlines in the higher segments.
RouteCPH to AGP via TXL

"had a great experience"

New York JFK to Düsseldorf with Air Berlin. On the return flight I was not able to understand what the pilot was saying, but aside from this, all the flight attendants spoke very good english. The entertainement during the flight was great, many choices of movies and TV shows for everyone. I thought the food was particularly good and the portions were perfect. Overall we had a great experience with Air Berlin.
RouteJFK to DUS
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"attendants were professional "

New York JFK to Berlin, and Air Berlin would charge me over 50 Euros to reserve a seat in advance, but I was able to reserve an aisle seat for free at the airport check-in. The flight was full and the plane felt very cramped: seats are narrow with minimal pitch. I ordered vegetarian meals for dinner and breakfast and they were good. The flight attendants were professional and friendly. The entertainment options included a modest range of new and classic movies. We left the gate at JFK about 30 minutes late, but arrived at TXL about 30 minutes early.
AircraftA330-200
RouteJFK to TXL

"most unpleasant flights"

(Denmark)

It was my first flight with AirBerlin involving changing flights, from Budapest to Copenhagen via Berlin Tegel. It was a very disappointing experience. It started with the online checkin system, that did not work so I could not choose between seats. On both airplanes there were plenty of empty rows and seats but online it did not work to choose. The first flight from Budapest to Berlin was fine, luggage was checked in all the way - but when arriving in Berlin Tegel nobody had mentioned that I needed to change terminal myself, from the Airport's old main terminal to one of the new terminals far away and that I had to walk there myself plus needed to go through security again. Not a very pleasant transfer. And then landed in Copenhagen only to realize that the luggage had not come on the plane from Berlin. Plenty of other passengers had the same problem and ground service said that there was only 4 pieces of luggage with the plane. In their marketing Air Berlin tries hard to wash off their budget airline image by pointing to their world wide route net and collaboration with Etihad and other airliners. But it was one of my most unpleasant flights involving transfer ever, and it was really a budget airline trying to pretend being something else. For point to point flights they are fine. For stopover flights, use another airline.
RouteBUD to CPH via TXL

"equipped with Wi-Fi"

Dusseldorf to Bilbao via Palma on a very modern aircraft with sharklets. Cabin staff very friendly. First aircraft was equipped with Wi-Fi including various movies and series on demand via the Air Berlin connect app. Also offering internet connection for affordable price. Both flights on time.
AircraftA321 / A320
RouteDUS to BIO via PMI
Date FlownDecember 2015

"poor service level"

Air Berlin flight Dusseldorf to Barcelona was okay, but my luggage was missing for 4 days and I needed to buy things for personal use. Luggage was supposed to arrive the next day but it took 4 days (almost 5 days actually). I saved all the tickets of my purchases and went to the airport personally twice. No result at all. I sent the bills to the head quarters of Air Berlin. The total amount was EUR191. After a hefty email contact, which did not go smoothly, they first offered me reduction on my next flight. I did not agree, I wanted to be compensated for my extra expenses like any normal company would do. The time between the emails and their replies took ages. You cannot call them anyway, because they don't seem to have a real customer service. Only because I kept on sending them emails all the time, they offered me a refund of 50% of the total costs. This is not what I would suggest of a customer service, but at the end I had to accept it, this was the best I could get. Poor service level towards customers! Would not consider recommending this company to others.
RouteDUS to TXL
Date FlownJuly 2015

"Cramped seating"

Berlin to Funchal, and Air Berlin continues its way from a once renowned airline with a high quality service to a an airline very much the style of Ryanair. Cramped seating (this was always the case with Air Berlin) and onboard service that consists of non alcoholic beverages and a small pretzel and this is for a flight of 4.5 hours. Everything else needs to be paid extra. If you want to have something to eat they charge your between 8-11 Euro. Cabin crew was friendly though.
RouteTXF to FNC