Air Berlin

Review by (United States) 29th July 2015

With a business class ticket we got into the admiral club at JFK. Club was neat, comfortable, offered two cocktails and pre-flight snacks including a corn bisque which was quite good. Boarding the plane was quick and soon enough we were airborne. The A332 is roomy but the seats in business were tight and at times a bit uncomfortable. Without an air control, the temp got really sweaty and hot. Sleeping was rough! Food was sufficient but there was no prior cocktail service. Nothing was offered. After asking, the FA was cordial and served us the drinks of choice. Service was professional and exceptionally quick. Flight was safe and upon arriving on route to Rhodes, the lounge in Germany was a great place to get a rest and some complimentary breakfast, the lounge was better than AA's admiral's club at JFK. Dependable but nothing special for a business class service. Would rather fly American Business.
RouteJFK to Düsseldorf

Review by (Germany) 27th July 2015

The new business class is outstanding. Service is top notch, so are the food and drink. The seats are comfortable and have a massage function included. The way they are placed gives you loads of privacy. Way better than Lufthansa, KLM etc.
AircraftA330-200
RouteTXL to LAX via DUS

Review by (United States) 21st July 2015

Excellent experience. Good entertainment selection for the long flight, good food for airline food.
Type Of TravellerFamilyLeisure
RouteChicago to Bucharest via Berlin

Review by (Germany) 18th July 2015

Check in Cologne was nice and fast and no problem, topbonus number was checked. Boarding was nice and fast, we were welcomed when entering the aircraft. Flight crew informed about flight and cabin crew did a nice job. I got one coffee and a glass of water with a nice muesli bar. You can choose between salty and sweet, all of this is for free. Baggage at Berlin Tegel was fast and we arrived on time. Return flight was the same only the plane was a Bombardier propeler plane, which I like because seating is 2-2 and you can see more. Crew was fine again and this time I choosed salty and got a bag of prezzels. Since this was a small plane, we were bused to gate, but it was fast again. Air Berlin is a good airline and I booked again CGN-TXL-CGN with them.
RouteCGN to TXL

Review by (Austria) 17th June 2015

Good checkin, fast boarding. Free magazines during boarding. Free soft drinks and a sandwich. The staff on board were very friendly and attentive. I can recommend Air Berlin.
RouteTXL to VIE

Review by (Germany) 4th June 2015

I flew non-stop TXL-JFK on 13 March and I was extremely surprised about Air Berlin's new Business Class service. Let's not mention TXL airport though. The rotten airport (including the Air France Business Lounge gates and boarding area) is a disgrace which I will not blame Air Berlin for. However once I boarded the plane the service was so amazing - like in good old times. I got greeted by my name. Blankets slippers amenity kits are individually brought to you with a smile. The new flat seat feels more like a private cabin than a seat - much better than Lufthansa's new Business Class or AA's new one that I used recently too. The food and bar service was like in a restaurant - including a special dish of the day that was not on the menu. Last not least: The flight attendants were tremendously kind and attentive.

Review by (Germany) 4th June 2015

Flew from Stuttgart (STR) to Hamburg (HAM). The online check-in worked without problems and really fast. On the airport you could choose between a few magazines and newspapers you were able to take on the flight (no fee). The flight itself was on time and the staff was very friendly. Even on that short flight (around 50mins) we got offered a drink and a snack (Lindt chocolate or crisps). At leaving the airplane we got Air Berlin chocolate- hearts. The flight back was excellent too. The online check-in worked and the flight was perfectly on time. Very friendly staff and good service again. The flight attendant accidentally spilled a drop of coffee because of turbulence. She gave me two more chocolates as excuse which I found very kind. At all I can say that Air Berlin is a very good airline especially for German and European flights. Also the value for money is very good. I would definitely recommend Air Berlin.

Review by (United States) 20th May 2015

March 20th 2015. Flight 7001 from Miami International to Rome via Dusseldorf. The boarding started around 3.15pm. After several hours inside the plane we were informed by the captain that they were trying to fix a "leak". After two more hours we were instructed to disembark the aircraft with our carry on and wait inside the terminal. Neither water or any type of food or snacks were offered by Air Berlin employees. Early evening we were told to board the aircraft again with all our belongings to our incredible surprise we stayed inside the plane again for more than two hours. Finally the captain informed the passengers that now the aircraft was having computer "issues" and we would have to sleep in Miami without any hint as to when the next plane will be ready for us to continue to Dusseldorf. Early next morning I went to Air Berlin counter just to find chaos and indifference to all passengers from the day before. The employees did not know when the next plane will be departing so I run to American Airlines who provided me with connections to Rome.

Review by (Australia) 20th May 2015

In May 2015 I caught the flight from Chicago O'Hare to Berlin Tegel. The aircraft was an Airbus 330. I was allocated a window seat but had no window. A woman who had paid an extra $50 for a window found herself in the same position but was not given a window. The aircraft was very overheated and had no individual air vents above the seats. The individual lights above my seat illuminated my neighbour rather than my seat. There were inadequate numbers of toilets for the large number of passengers. This resulted not only in severe discomfort for passengers but the water supply ran out in the toilet closest to me resulting in toilet paper not being flushed. The food was as cheap and nasty as I have ever had in Economy. I am not tall but had very little leg room. I could do very little work not only due to the shortage of space but the intense heat of the aircraft. The TV and movie selection was OK but not great but the TV screen in the back of the seat in front of me kept skipping or freezing every time the passenger in that seat vibrated the seat - extremely irritating. On approach to Berlin droplets of water started to drip on me and the passengers around me. On arrival the aircraft parked a very long distance from the terminal building. We were bussed to the terminal - this took about 10 minutes. We were then kept on the bus for another 10 minutes before being released into fresh air. The terminal for Air Berlin at Tegel turned out to be a shed with only 4 customs officers for hundreds of non-EU passengers. It took about an hour in a line to clear customs. (EU passengers cleared in minutes due to their automated passport readers.) I am a QANTAS frequent flyer and ended up on Air Berlin because it is a One World partner with QANTAS. How Air Berlin managed to join that partnership of good to excellent airlines is a mystery only the executives of those airlines can answer. I will be complaining to QANTAS and Air Berlin directly. The small number of flight attendants worked very hard and were pleasant but I felt sorry for them.

Review by (United Arab Emirates) 11th May 2015

Booked a flight back home to Abu Dhabi from Berlin with Air Berlin not by choice as I actually booked it through Etihad Airways. The whole experience left me rather bitter and I really don't see the value add from Etihad Airways in partnering with Air Berlin. The following were my experiences with Air Berlin: 1) Couldn't reserve a seat on Air Berlin since my reservation code was tied to Etihad's. Had to make a call to Air Berlin but the initial response from them was to call back Etihad since they couldn't see my reservation in their system. However Etihad told me to call them back again since the flight was to be operated by them and they should see it in their system. After calls to-and-fro Air Berlin managed to retrieve my reservation and assist to reserve a seat (which came with a fee). 2) Baggage limit was only at 23kg. My outbound flight from Abu Dhabi to Frankfurt which was operated by Etihad Airways itself was 30kg. So I had to pay for the excess since I needed to bring back lots of stuff back from my trip. To make things worse the counter at Tegel Airport could not accept my credit cards apparently again because the reservation code was tied to Etihad's and so the payment couldn't be booked to release my boarding pass. So I made a mad dash to withdraw cash and had to go to a Baggage Service counter in exchange for a receipt since Air Berlin does not handle cash. From this experience I will not consider Air Berlin for long-haul flights anymore (being charged for seat reservation and low baggage limit) as there are many other alternatives that can provide more value and cost savings. Nor will I fly with any of the Etihad Airways partners anymore since their systems don't seem to be well-linked up with each other.