Air Berlin

"was one of my favourite airlines"

Verified Review | Düsseldorf to Catania via Rome. Booked Alitalia, got Air Berlin. I was prepared for delays and even cancellations, because of the insolvency of Air Berlin. And indeed: our original inbound flight from Catania tot Düsseldorf with a change in Milan was cancelled, but within 10 minutes we were moved to the direct AB-flight CTA-DUS. Even better. So we had two punctual flights, with a friendly crew and reasonably priced drinks. Leg room was awful however. I like the small route screens on Air Berlin aircraft. But it's all over since Air Berlin stops flying in a few days, so no recommendation. Pity, because Air Berlin was one of my favourite airlines. Never had any problems.
RouteDüsseldorf to Catania via Rome
Date FlownOctober 2017

"very positive experience"

Verified Review | Milan to New York return via Dusseldorf. I had a very positive experience with AirBerlin - on all four of our flights. The prices were phenomenal - all four of us flew economy roundtrip for less $2,200 - although they did charge me quite a bit for seat reservations - with 2 small kids, you can't really make a good case for 'oh honey sorry you get to sit to that stranger." Everything ran on time. The seats are as about tight as most US airlines - though not as bad as United's back rows. But we fit fine, video was working (with lots of options for watching), food was ok-ishand the attendants were quite helpful and very nice. Really, I have no complaints. And yes, I did check in luggage on the way back - because who doesn't overshop in Italy? - and I got them back in NYC. We were all nervous about this due to all the bad review of lost luggage. In fact it is why I am writing the review - as I promised myself I would write a good review if we arrived home intact with a good experience. I fly Business for work - I was expecting worse but was very pleased as were my husband two kids (8, 10)
RouteMilan to New York via Dusseldorf
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Definitely avoid if you can"

Verified Review | Berlin to Prague. Worst experience I’ve had for a while! They announce 2 hour delay, then no info until we understand that once they have a plane they must wait for a new crew. Very bad organisation and communication. Definitely avoid if you can, lost my time and couldn’t make my meetings.
RouteBerlin to Prague
Date FlownOctober 2017

"happy their service"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Berlin, our first flight was cancelled but they arranged me other flight. Next day I use Air Berlin also this time their service was on time and good service and cabin crew - they are very friendly and helpful. I was very happy their service.
RouteFrankfurt to Berlin
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"don't recommend it at all"

Verified Review | Berlin to Warsaw. This is worst experience I had. Staff are really rude. They don't have enough information about flight. I had three different information last 10 minutes. I have been waiting for my flight over 2 hours and flight is delayed. And Airberlin's staff still can't give any information about flight. I don't recommend it at all.
RouteBerlin to Warsaw
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Worst airline ever, poor customer care"

Verified Review | Worst airline ever, poor customer care. Representatives are rude and not helpful. My flight from San Francisco to Prague (with only one connection stop) was cancelled without any notification and explanation as to why. Air Berlin representative was not helpful at all. We were told that we would be flying via a different airline, however, didn't give any information regarding flight number, refused to print any documents proving that we had the new flight with a different airline. In addition, they gave us a flight with two stops (we could have find tickets much cheaper with two stops). Do not recommend this airline, they just lost two customers. On my way back another Air Berlin representative was extremely rude, plus she overcharged us for overweight luggage (we had to pay 100 euros for 27 kg luggage). On the board they didn't offer any drinks (water or coffee) from Prague to Berlin.
RouteSan Francisco to Prague

"cheating their customers"

(Czech Republic)

Verified Review | Bonn to Prague via Berlin. Absolutely bad experience. I bought flight at 5pm from Berlin and instead they put me on flight at 9pm. Nobody was able to explain me why. After staying in line for almost an hour to actually talk with someone they tell me that I have flight for today so they don't understand why is my problem - if they would tell me up front that the flight at 5pm will not happen I would fly directly from Bonn to Prague at 7 pm. These people are cheating their customers.
RouteBonn to Prague via Berlin
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"pricier than budget airlines"

Verified Review | Helsinki to Berlin return. the terminal in Berlin looks like an abandoned warehouse. The Boeing 737 had the A320 safety sheet. The seats were leather, and quite worn out. The flight left TXL on time. I am an Emerald member on one world however they did not recognise me on this flight nor the departing flight (no greeting, benefit, drinks, nothing). They charge 2.5 Euros for a cup of tea and the inflight entertainment via wifi must be purchased. Not recommended as they are pricier than budget airlines.
RouteBerlin to Helsinki
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"Not a good first impression"

Verified Review | Berlin to Geneva via Dusseldorf. Not a good first impression. First segment no order to boarding process just one long line regardless if your seat assignment. Delayed 30 minutes announced 10 minutes before scheduled boarding time. No explanation why. Onboard, the least amount of legroom I have ever experienced. Take off was finally one hour later. Second flight delayed 35 minutes to late arrival of the aircraft.
RouteBerlin to Geneva via Dusseldorf
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"nice crew and comfortable planes"

Verified Review | Unfortunately Air Berlin has gone broke, but they are still flying. I was a bit apprehensive because of the insolvency and the bad performance earlier this year, but despite the situation it was great: very punctual - even half an hour earlier on the inbound flight, nice crew and comfortable planes. Since Münster/Osnabrück is a small airport, one is at the gate within 5 mins of entering the building and boarding is very quick. On both flights we had an Air Berlin plane, a Niki flightnumber and a TUIfly crew. B737 showed its age but was fine. Paid 7 euros for a currywurst. A bit steep but it was excellent. Nice flight over Cologne and Lake Geneva with view of the Alps. I was out of Palma airport within 20 mins after touch down (only hand luggage) which was very good for such a big airport. Big surpise on the inbound flight: I was assigned an emergency seat for free. The normal cost is 25 euros, so this was very comfortable. We even got the famous AB chocolate heart at leaving the plane. It's a pity AB is about to disappear. I have flown quite a lot with them and it was always fine. The only reason I don't recommend them is the insolvency, because they're suspending flights already.
AircraftBoeing 737/A321