Vote Airport

Air Berlin

"pretty much as expected"

(Denmark)

Copenhagen to Malaga via Berlin. First time with Air Berlin and it was quite ok. CPH to Berlin the flight was very open and so plenty of space. The transfer in Berlin was a bit of a hassle as it seems it is undergoing some construction work. The waiting area was terrible and that might be enough to reconsider Air Berlin as a good option. The second leg also fine, it was a bit more tight than the first, but staff was friendly enough and it was pretty much as expected. To me Air Berln does well enough for a discount airline, but cannot stack up with the other airlines in the higher segments.
RouteCPH to AGP via TXL

"had a great experience"

New York JFK to Düsseldorf with Air Berlin. On the return flight I was not able to understand what the pilot was saying, but aside from this, all the flight attendants spoke very good english. The entertainement during the flight was great, many choices of movies and TV shows for everyone. I thought the food was particularly good and the portions were perfect. Overall we had a great experience with Air Berlin.
RouteJFK to DUS
Date FlownJanuary 2016

"attendants were professional "

New York JFK to Berlin, and Air Berlin would charge me over 50 Euros to reserve a seat in advance, but I was able to reserve an aisle seat for free at the airport check-in. The flight was full and the plane felt very cramped: seats are narrow with minimal pitch. I ordered vegetarian meals for dinner and breakfast and they were good. The flight attendants were professional and friendly. The entertainment options included a modest range of new and classic movies. We left the gate at JFK about 30 minutes late, but arrived at TXL about 30 minutes early.
AircraftA330-200
RouteJFK to TXL

"most unpleasant flights"

(Denmark)

It was my first flight with AirBerlin involving changing flights, from Budapest to Copenhagen via Berlin Tegel. It was a very disappointing experience. It started with the online checkin system, that did not work so I could not choose between seats. On both airplanes there were plenty of empty rows and seats but online it did not work to choose. The first flight from Budapest to Berlin was fine, luggage was checked in all the way - but when arriving in Berlin Tegel nobody had mentioned that I needed to change terminal myself, from the Airport's old main terminal to one of the new terminals far away and that I had to walk there myself plus needed to go through security again. Not a very pleasant transfer. And then landed in Copenhagen only to realize that the luggage had not come on the plane from Berlin. Plenty of other passengers had the same problem and ground service said that there was only 4 pieces of luggage with the plane. In their marketing Air Berlin tries hard to wash off their budget airline image by pointing to their world wide route net and collaboration with Etihad and other airliners. But it was one of my most unpleasant flights involving transfer ever, and it was really a budget airline trying to pretend being something else. For point to point flights they are fine. For stopover flights, use another airline.
RouteBUD to CPH via TXL

"equipped with Wi-Fi"

Dusseldorf to Bilbao via Palma on a very modern aircraft with sharklets. Cabin staff very friendly. First aircraft was equipped with Wi-Fi including various movies and series on demand via the Air Berlin connect app. Also offering internet connection for affordable price. Both flights on time.
AircraftA321 / A320
RouteDUS to BIO via PMI

"poor service level"

Air Berlin flight Dusseldorf to Barcelona was okay, but my luggage was missing for 4 days and I needed to buy things for personal use. Luggage was supposed to arrive the next day but it took 4 days (almost 5 days actually). I saved all the tickets of my purchases and went to the airport personally twice. No result at all. I sent the bills to the head quarters of Air Berlin. The total amount was EUR191. After a hefty email contact, which did not go smoothly, they first offered me reduction on my next flight. I did not agree, I wanted to be compensated for my extra expenses like any normal company would do. The time between the emails and their replies took ages. You cannot call them anyway, because they don't seem to have a real customer service. Only because I kept on sending them emails all the time, they offered me a refund of 50% of the total costs. This is not what I would suggest of a customer service, but at the end I had to accept it, this was the best I could get. Poor service level towards customers! Would not consider recommending this company to others.
RouteDUS to TXL
Date FlownJuly 2015

"Cramped seating"

Berlin to Funchal, and Air Berlin continues its way from a once renowned airline with a high quality service to a an airline very much the style of Ryanair. Cramped seating (this was always the case with Air Berlin) and onboard service that consists of non alcoholic beverages and a small pretzel and this is for a flight of 4.5 hours. Everything else needs to be paid extra. If you want to have something to eat they charge your between 8-11 Euro. Cabin crew was friendly though.
RouteTXF to FNC
Date FlownDecember 2015

"cabin staff were friendly"

(Sweden)

In July we travelled home from Portugal after a 10 day trip in Albufeira. As I live in southern Sweden, our closest airport is Malmö Airport but it does not serve as many airlines and destinations as Copenhagen Airport, which is also close to us. Unfortunately there were to direct route from FAO to CPH, therefore we hade to make a stopover in Berlin-Tegel Airport. We flew with Air Berlin. The cabin staff were friendly and were always ready to help if anyone needed it, they even gave us recommendations for which food in the menu they thought was the best. AB offered drinks and snacks for free, on both of the flights. It was very nice, either you could pick a chocolate kex or some crisps. The seats were as comfortable as any other airline, I was sitting by an exit on our FAO–TXL flight and therefore I had some extra legroom. After landing, they offered some chocolate at the exit. Would definetley recommend and fly with Air Berlin again.
AircraftBoeing 737-800, A319-100
RouteFAO to CPH via TXL
Date FlownJuly 2015

"cabin staff charming "

Munich to New York JFK via Dusseldorf on Air Berlin business class. Ground service helpful and friendly. On JFK flights, welcome drinks served during boarding (champagne, juice, etc). On-time departure. Very good food on outbound flight (DUS-JFK), worse on inbound (the catering from JFK is awful). Cabin staff charming and friendly. Business Class is the same as Etihad Airways, and all seats have direct aisle access. Thank you for this very pleasant journey.
AircraftA330-200
RouteMUC to JFK via DUS

"would choose again"

I flew Dusseldorf to La Palma return on Air Berlin and was satisfied. The A320 on the way to La Palma had really low seat pitch, it was better on the A321 on the way back, possibly an inch difference. A snack plus free non alcoholic drinks were served, I paid for a warm meal on both flights and it was good. The flight attendants were friendly and mobile-check-in was easy and fast, no waiting time at the airport. We had a good flight and would choose Air Berlin again any time.
AircraftA320/321