Top 100 Airlines

Air Berlin

"the failures of Air Berlin"

Verified Review | Copenhagen to Los Angeles via London. When booking our flights we paid a lot more money to have specific seating arrangements and food. We were booked to fly from Copenhagen to Los Angeles via London. We arrived at the airport 7:30 a.m. and stood in line until the check in agent opened at 9:00 a.m. I was the only one there standing in line as I wanted to beat the crowd. We checked in and went to security and they said our flight had been cancelled. Went back to agent and she said "No" flight had not been cancelled and the security were mistaken. We went back to security with some airline person with us and went through. We tried to find out which gate our flight was at and it was not listed. We finally found an Air Berlin agent at another gate. They said they could not help me as they could "only see their own flight on their computer screen". I persisted and finally they checked and said to go to gate 23 which we had been at. No one was there and it was 20 minutes until boarding. We left and started searching for some other help. After at least 2 attempts with various agents (not Air Berlin as they are not at that airport) our flight had been cancelled prior to our arriving at the airport. Air Berlin did not contact us about that. Air Berlin had transferred our reservations to British Airways but no one had told us. We went to British Airways (BA). We were fortunate to ask for help from an airport employee who walked us to various agent windows talking to them in English and Dutch and finally got us some answers. All of this is over a multi hour period of time. We found out from BA that when Air Berlin had made the reservations they had failed to make arrangements for the seating requirements we had paid for (aisle seat, extra leg room as one of us has medical conditions that require this). British Airways said they could not make any changes to our tickets from London to the USA until we landed in London. That is a whole other story as that was difficult and stressful even though BA was working with us; it was just too late to make many changes on an already "booked flight". BA were finally able to make the needed changes but it took much time and was a devastating experience due to the failures of Air Berlin. In each airport we tried to speak to Air Berlin, London Heathrow and LAX, there were no Air Berlin employees at that time. Our luggage is lost and Air Berlin did not provide any "claim checks" to us so we are sitting here now, not knowing where our luggage is (Air Berlin told us that it was already on the BA flight which was not true) or if we will ever see it again as we have no claim check tickets. Any Air Berlin employee we were able to speak with briefly at the Copenhagen airport were rude and dismissive. They had no interest in even talking to me and it was only because I am persistent that I had any contact with them.
RouteCPH to LAX via LHR
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"gone are the free snacks"

A surprise today on my regular Air Berlin domestic flight from Munich to Hamburg. Boarding normal but a new concept on board. Gone are the free snacks and drinks - the only offer now a paid on board menu. No difference at all to Easyjet or Ryanair. A shame as the previous offer was an alternative to Lufthansa. Lots of communication about "business class" which is just economy with a choice from the menu. A 400€ sandwich - no thanks.
RouteMUC to HAM

"barely enough legroom"

Verified Review | We were flying with Air Berlin around Pentecost from Düsseldorf, Germany to Calvi, France (Corsica) and back for vacation as a family of four persons. Overall the flights were ok. But there are two negative things I'd like to point out: If you're a tall person over 1,85m (6'00"), there's barely enough legroom for you to sit comfortably for more than one hour. Secondly, the flight back to Germany was delayed by about 20 minutes because an Air France plane blocked the runway for a long time but there was no information given to us, while we were waiting for takeoff. The cabin crew (especially on vacation fligts like ours) may not be the youngest but were the frendliest staff I have encountered.
RouteCLY to DUS
Date FlownMay 2016

"had good flights on Air Berlin"

Air Berlin on 1 September from Dusseldorf to Copenhagen. Connected from an American flight from Chicago and I love to transfer at Dusseldorf. Easy airport for connections - a quick pass thru immigration and you are in the EU and can walk to other gates. Flight was to board from gate 82 but then switched last minute to gate 79, so caused some confusion. Boarded full flight quickly - push back and smooth take off. Drinks served and BOB offered. Flight attendants smiling and friendly. Landed on time and bags off in reasonable about of time. I have had good flights on Air Berlin and no complaints.
RouteDUS to CPH
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"planes were not the cleanest"

(Greece)

Verified Review | Thessaloniki to Nuremburg. Two weeks before flight they change the departure time. Both flights with A320, the planes were not the cleanest that I have seen. You have to pay to select your seat, even if you wait for web check-in (30 hrs before flight) computer selects your seat, you have to pay to change it. You have to pay for food. Only free in flight service are: biscuits / potatoes chips, coffee, soft drinks. Flight attendants were helpful and friendly. IFE only drop down screens with flight paths and advertisements.
RouteSKG to NUE
Date FlownJune 2016

"service was precise"

(Hungary)

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi to Berlin with Air Berlin. Nothing to be sniffed at. We had a slight delay, we arrived 20 minutes later due to the traffic at AUH. Aircraft interior is rather puritan, no overwhelming place to pack. However, I must say that even though German airlines are not famous for their comfort, these A330 seats were really good. I could sleep for an hour or more. I woke up for the food. This 6-hours-flight was an enjoyable experience for me. Service was precise. Food was not bad at all, although not very good either. It was a German way to fly. I could recommend it. It meets the international standards, I do not think they are better or worse. It's simply German.
AircraftA330-200
RouteAUH to TXL
Date FlownAugust 2016

"great value airline"

Verified Review | Cologne to Berlin and my first time on Air Berlin. The cabin area was clean, seats very comfortable and recline, which is fantastic considering they are a budget airline. The food beverages given on board are also a surprise and selling point based on the fact their competitors (Easyjet and Ryanair) don't offer this service. The cabin crew could have been more welcoming but the service they gave was satisfactory. Great value airline.
RouteCGN to TXL
Date FlownJuly 2016

"had a good experience"

I flew Dusseldorf to Berlin return and had a good experience. The flights were on time, I checked in through my smartphone which saved a lot of time at the airport and was easy and fast. During the flight drinks and a snack offered, which will be history soon, but no problem on such a short flight. Flight attendants have problems to hand out drinks to everyone before landing anyway. I like to fly on Air Berlin and can recommend this airline.
AircraftA320 / A321
RouteDUS to TXL
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"we have not hit rock bottom yet"

Verified Review | It's sad having to add another negative review to my last review of 29 July of Air Berlin's Dusseldorf to Milano-Linate service. I am trying to avoid Air Berlin as best as I can - due to their bad service and punctuality record and inferior cabin product compared to Eurowings, Lufthansa, Swiss and even Easyjet. But for an afternoon flight from the Dusseldorf region to Milano, AB8746 at 15.35 is the only option. Having taken this flight twice in less than 2 months, it really leaves me angry to again experience significant delay of almost 1 hour for this flight on 1 September - for my previous flight on 7 July it was 40 mins. While the airline sent a message by email (that I missed), Dusseldorf airport provided no information about the delay. Also, the gate staff only announces the delay 15 mins prior to departure? Surely, the airport should have known for at least 2 hours. Studying the departure boards, I see that Air Berlin had to cancel two flights (Munich and Stockholm). So maybe I should count myself "lucky" to only be delayed. My last review was titled "from worse to worse" - it just seems, unfortunately, that we have not hit rock bottom yet.
RouteDUS to LIN
Date FlownSeptember 2016

"they did not care in the least"

Verified Review | Munich to Berlin. Flight and plane were fine and normal, however I did find the seats a bit cramped. The problem came on landing. We had flown from Dubai and our luggage transferred to the Air Berlin flight 6196. When we got off in Berlin it was not marked where to go so we followed others who were walking out. Just at the exit doors I noticed we were exiting and asked the guard where to go for luggage. He only said "go to Terminal C lost baggage". Once you are just 1 inch out the sliding door you can not go back to get your baggage. Ok follow policy blindly with no common sense, thats what EU is all about I guess. Once at the lost baggage it was chaos as about 20 airlines had turned over their lost baggage to a 3rd party company called WISAG. It took one hr in line to reach a man who only said "go file a claim on line" thats it. "Go use the iPad over there". The lady ahead of us was German and was totally outraged and the SA man being us in line had also done the very same thing too. The next day we came back and again after 1 hr in line they looked at the screen and said "Nope its not listed here" and "we still have 18 carts not yet unloaded back there from last week". We then went up to the Air Berlin counter in the terminal and they just looked at us with a blank who cares look and said "go back to lost luggage" thats all, no help at all. They did not care in the least. We went back again at 11 pm and finally got one of the men (there were ever only 2 there) who took some compassion on us when I said 'my wife cancer drugs were in her bag and our tour group left tomorrow'. He said "maybe I saw them yesterday" and he actually went back and found them. We had been in a state of despair what to do, totaly zero information or help by anyone at Air Berlin. I will never fly with them again. Also Service from WISAG was the I worst service I have ever seen in the world.
RouteMUC to TXL