Top 100 Airports

Air Berlin

"service was impeccable"

Verified Review | Flew Air Berlin from Düsseldorf to Miami. Service was impeccable. Flight attendants were available all the flight and trying very hard to please passengers. Food presentation was great and very tasty, Business class seats E and F are to be avoided. Very difficult to get in/out. Shoulder width very restricted.
AircraftAB330
RouteDUS to MIA
Date FlownJuly 2016

"poorly handled once we landed"

Verified Review | The flight from Stockholm to Dusseldorf with Air Berlin was fine, despite a 2.5 hour delay. What was terrible was how poorly Air Berlin handled passengers once we landed in Dusseldorf. The stairs weren't ready for our plane when we landed, finally the stairs arrived and we were loaded onto buses. At the gate which we were dropped off via bus, the door into the airport was locked and airport personnel wouldn't unlock for us. Our entire plane load of people were standing in a stairway, trying to figure out what the hold up was. It was very stressful. Then the bags were delayed another 1 to 1.5 hours because they weren't unloaded and were sitting on plane. This was very disappointing to see how all these issues were so poorly handled. When I contacted Air Berlin, they didn't have anything to say, except that since we were only delayed 2.5 hours on the front end of our trip, the rest was basically not their problem. I won't fly Air Berlin again, they clearly don't care.
RouteARN to DUS

"on time and efficient"

We recently traveled on an Air Berlin flight from Los Angeles to Dusseldorf direct. We flew Coach on the way out and business class on the way home. Both flights were okay and uneventful. We paid extra to sit in the emergency row on the outbound flight. On the way back we were in business class which is nice. The staff were efficient but not overly friendly. We were served soft drinks and a dinner on the coach portion of our flight. The food was ok and after dinner the flight attendant came around with bottled waters. The staff disappeared for a few hours after dinner. They would come if called but otherwise they were not around. I would fly the airline again without hesitation. The airline was on time and efficient. The price we paid was great.
RouteLAX to DUS
Date FlownJuly 2016

"staff very attentive and friendly"

New York JFK to Krakow via Berlin with Air Berlin. Because of the short layover time, and the affordability of the tickets, it proved to be our best option as it was only slightly longer than a direct flight. We took the overnight flight from JFK to TXL on an A332, flying in economy. We made sure to get to the Airport very early, but check in was very quick and smooth, so we had ample time to do everything we needed to do. Our flight out was delayed for about 50 minutes, which is typical of almost any flight out of JFK, but because of our short layover in Berlin (just under 2 hours, plus having to go through customs) this did worry us. We were only able to get center aisle seats. The seats themselves, while comfortable to sit in, did not offer much leg room for someone like me who is 6'3" so the long haul flight was a bit uncomfortable in the later hours. The entertainment screens on our seats seemed to work, but not very well, but we tried to sleep much of the flight, so we did not fidget with it too much. The flight included diner after take off, and a light breakfast before landing. Meal was better than one would expect for economy class airline food. Staff was very attentive and friendly. We arrived in Berlin about an hour behind schedule, and because of this, the airline made a point to find anyone who had a short connection and move the up in the customs line, so they could catch their next flight. We were a bit worried, especially since we had to connect in a different terminal (and this meant going back through security at TXL). Luckily, everything moved quite quickly (German efficiency) and we made it to our connection gate with 25 minutes to spare before boarding. The second leg, was a short flight from TXL to Krakow. This was on a smaller turbo prop plane, a DC-H8. While the plane felt a bit older on the inside than the A330 we had just flown on, the leg room was much, much better. We had seats on the wing, just behind the props, but we didn't find this to be any louder than a normal flight. The flight itself was nice, and as before, the flight staff was friendly. Overall, we were very satisfied with our flight and our experience. Our only issue was on our return flight. A few days before we were scheduled to leave, we had a death in the family. This would require us to stay a few days later. Our ticket package did not allow for rebooking, but I was hoping they could work with us with options on what we could try to do. Unfortunately, they offered none, and the person I talked to did not seem interested in going further than telling me, 'There is nothing we can do for you.' Given the circumstances, I was hoping we could have figured out something, but instead, we had to book a flight through another airline (which ended up being cheaper than what it would have cost to book the return through Air Berlin). Disappointed there, but given all the good service we had up to that point, I would still fly with them.
AircraftA332 / DH8D
RouteJFK to KRK via TXL
Date FlownMay 2016

"chosen to treat me badly"

Verified Review | I haven't written a review of an airline before, but this company's lack of professionalism really stands out. My partner and I originally booked a convenient 1½-hour afternoon flight within Europe. Air Berlin then cancelled the flight and changed our itinerary (in fact, changed it twice) so that in the end it involved an early-morning departure and a 5-hour journey via a city in the opposite direction. The e-mails they sent about this were weird and confusing. We were going to simply cancel the flight, but when I contacted Air Berlin they said that they would at least reimburse the cost of staying at an airport hotel the night before, so we agreed. But then, after the flight, they refused to make the reimbursement. Instead they offered me a voucher, which I just find insulting - why on earth would I want to book with them again? I fly a lot with budget airlines, and of course have experienced plenty of delays and frustrations over the years, but have never before felt that an airline has deliberately chosen to treat me badly. Crazily, their "Guest Relation Team" has put time into sending me a string of rude e-mails. It would have been more cost-effective for them to simply pay the hotel bill, as they had committed to do.
RouteSTR to VCE
Date FlownApril 2016

"low language knowledge of the crew"

Verified Review | Flew Air Berlin from Zurich to Alicante. Quiet flight, on time. I was somehow surprised about the low language knowledge of the crew in German, English and Spanish. None of them in the economy cabin was able to understand and speak at least two of these idioms which was understandable for the customers. Another detail: Even if Air Berlin is loosing cash with its operations, they still serve you a free (awful) snack in the economy cabin.
RouteZRH to ALC
Date FlownJune 2016

"they will not honour this"

Verified Review | When searching for tickets from Zurich to Palma return, I found the best price on a Swiss travel search site, however I noticed on Air Berlin website "best Price Guarantee" option, where they claimed to refund any difference in price. Hence as I realized last final page where you click "Book Now" did not show details of the flight I copied every single step of the booking process for the claim. Even despite the fact that I provided every single print screen of the whole booking journey indicating cheaper price, Air Berlin refuses to cover the difference. Even weeks after the claim price was still lower at the Swiss travel search site, and I directed Air Berlin to check it, they still refuse to cover the difference. What is the point of the guarantee if they will not honour this? I regret booking directly through them!
RouteZRH to PMI

"seats were the worst"

Recently flew from Boston to Florence via Düsseldorf with Air Berlin. Good entertainment system and meals. Seats were the worst I have experienced in many years of transatlantic flying. On return flight chose XL seat and it was a great improvement. Luggage was lost on both the outgoing and return flights.
RouteBOS to FLR
Date FlownJune 2016

"managed to make the flight"

(Finland)

We were booked on flight AB3165 on May 27th from Faro to Helsinki via Berlin. We had pre-booked seats with extra legroom and some food. Although the flight was some 40 minutes late taking off we managed to make the flight to Helsinki AY918 in time. I just like to say that we had a very pleasant flight the whole way thanks to very nice cabin attendants on both flights. We fly to Faro and back about four times per year and always try fly Air Berlin. So a big thank you for looking after your customers.
RouteFAO to HEL via TXL

"it was chaos"

Verified Review | We had delays on our return flight with Air Berlin from Budapest to Frankfurt. This was not the problem because all flights seemed to be delayed. The first problem was check in, we could not check in ahead of time because of a lack of access to the internet but we had to check our bags anyway. We were 2nd in line to check in, 20 minutes to get to the desk to check in. The employees were non-communicative about the delay in the process. Boarding was chaos. There was an additional delay in Berlin, not a problem, we figured it would give them time to load our luggage from the previous flight. Not one bag was unloaded from the plane in Frankfurt. An entire plane full of luggage was lost? They let us wait at the carousel at 1am for over 30 minutes before it was announced that all passengers must fill out a lost luggage form. It was chaos there too, people pushing and shoving to get a paper at the desk, they didn't have enough for everyone. 2 days after landing my husband finally reached someone who told him none of the luggage was loaded on the plane. I have 2 problems with this: 1) If they knew they didn't load any luggage on the plane, why didn't they give the passengers the lost luggage paper on the plane to fill out during the flight? That would have spared us another hour at the airport. 2) It seems that it was more likely that the airport workers decided not to off load the plane. We finally get our luggage 2.5 days later. I will never fly Air Berlin again.
RouteBUD to FRA