Airline of the Year

Air Berlin

"Never fly this airline"

Verified Review | Düsseldorf to Boston. Never fly this airline. The worst by far. They cancel flight and move people to different flights with different destinations. Then you are on your own. You have to buy new ticket to wherever your destination is. They hassle you to collect what you paid. No apologies or regret in their actions.
RouteDüsseldorf to Boston
Date FlownMay 2017

"friendly and service orientated crew"

(Hong Kong)

Verified Review | New York JFK to Berlin Tegel. My first experience with Air Berlin and quite impressed. While there were delays with boarding at JFK and it took an hour for baggage to be delivered to the belt in TXL with no explanation from ground staff, inflight they were very good. Comfortable seat, nice food, acceptable wine list and extremely friendly and service orientated crew. For the short hop across the pond and direct into Berlin I'd choose them again. Had I not checked bags and had the significant delay with baggage delivery in TXL, this flight would have been seamless.
RouteNew York JFK to Berlin Tegel
Date FlownMay 2017

"never fly with airberlin again"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Munich to Stockholm via Dusseldorf. Horrible service (lengthy information on our flight in German, a very short in English, I did recognise Stockholm so I assumed the we might miss our connection). At airport no information on flight being delayed, no one in boarding booth, Lady in next booth didn't speak English. Stewardess spoke German and unintelligible English, never got a chance to buy a sandwich on either flights, never offered free coffee. I will never fly with airberlin again. I much more prefer Norwegian, great price with professional service (I fly regularly to UK with them).
RouteMunich to Stockholm via Dusseldorf
Date FlownMay 2017

"I haven't got on board"

(Belarus)

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Berlin Tegel AB6588 is cancelled. Firstly they asked to wait for 2 more hours and then cancelled. The worst airline, terrible! I'm staying in a huge line to get my money back. Can't say anything about their service - I haven't got on board.
RouteFrankfurt to Berlin Tegel
Date FlownMay 2017

"I would fly Air Berlin again"

Verified Review | Berlin to Abu Dhabi. The flight had a slight delay, but nothing serious. We had a remote gate and walked like 50m to the parking spot of the plane. I like the 2-4-2 configuration, because we travelled as a group of 2. We had a window and an aisle seat. The seat width is good, but the seat pitch was poor. I am 1,82m and my knees touched the seat in front of me. It is not as abd as on other airlines but it could be better. I couldn't sleep on this flight at all. But the rest of the fight was enjoyable. We had a very friendly and attentive stewardess and the food was delicious. One of the IFE screens across the row stopped working and one member of the cabin crew changed it immediately. All in all I would fly Air Berlin again, if there is no better alternative.
AircraftA330-200
RouteBerlin to Abu Dhabi

"excessive baggage fees"

Verified Review | Copenhagen to Munich via Dusseldorf. I've just been swindled by Air Berlin. When I booked the trip, I was given one piece of baggage in the fare. When I called them to add a second piece they charged me $101 for it. I was stunned. I was expecting $25 - $35 perhaps for the second bag. They even sent me an email advertising extra baggage for 10 Euros if I booked it more than 30 hours out. That's a laugh. They must be into false advertising. Maybe I'm living in an unrealistic world, but with high status on United, I get two free bags on Lufthansa every time I use them and could have flown them more cheaply had I known about the excessive baggage fees. Moreover, I'm flying Air Berlin and Flybe to London City airport a few days later. They told me that I have to book my baggage at the airport because of the interline ticket, which is bound to be even more expensive. I will never fly Air Berlin again.
RouteCopenhagen to Munich via Dusseldorf
Date FlownMay 2017

"incompetent and disorganized airline"

Verified Review | I traveled from New York to Warsaw in April 2017. Returning from New York was delayed two hours so I missed the connecting flight to Warsaw. Air Berlin put us on a flight to Amsterdam and on another flight from Amsterdam to Warsaw. On top of that my luggage was lost and I had to wait three hours for it to arrive. Air Berlin get on the ball. Never have I seen such incompetent and disorganized airline. Never again will I fly Air Berlin.
RouteNew York to Warsaw via Berlin
Date FlownApril 2017

"worst experience with an airline"

(Romania)

Verified Review | Bucharest to Miami vis Sibiu, Munich. My worst experience with an airline so far. 3 weeks before departure, they changed dates and hours - technically I could choose to get my money back, but buying from another company with such short notice would have been much more expensive - what I paid for was Bucharest to Miami with one stop, what I got was the same with 3 stops - what I paid for was Miami to Bucharest with one stop, what I got was the same with 2 stops. I had to book a hotel room for one night in Berlin because the flights were not in the same day after the change they made (still waiting for a refund), and they failed to deliver the luggage in Miami. It arrived after 2 days - out of 4 Air Berlin flights, 3 were delayed by approx 1 hour each. AirBerlin call-center is bad. They say on the web-site is 24h, but that's not true. If you call them when they don't work, they don't say come back at operating hours. They just let you listen to bad music indefinitely on your own expense. and when they do answer, they even give incorrect answers (like saying Bucharest to Munich is a direct flight, which was certainly not.
RouteBucharest to Miami
Date FlownApril 2017

"Reserved seat was ignored"

Verified Review | Frankfurt to Palma de Mallorca. Reserved seat was ignored, it looks not unusual. My family booked 4 seat together beforehand in website. But boading pass we got in airport forced us to seat far location each other. One lady kindly changed her seat for my son 8 years old to my next seat. She was forced to seat separately with her husband instead. My wife and daughter 11 years old are forced to seat one by one separately.
RouteFrankfurt to Palma de Mallorca
Date FlownApril 2017

"how useless Air Berlin are"

Verified Review | I recently flew from Bangkok to Warsaw with Etihad. No problems with the Etihad flight but they code share with Air Berlin for the Abu Dhabi to Berlin leg and again Air Berlin on the Berlin to Warsaw leg. The fun began when I was informed my Berlin to Warsaw flight was cancelled resulting in me hanging around for hours for the next flight - ok that's a pain but not the end of the world. What happened next just proved to me how useless Air Berlin are. Having arrived in Warsaw I then found out they had lost all of my 3 bags, the handling company in Warsaw could tell me nothing because they rely on Air Berlin for information and I was one of over 100 people who had the same problem . I tried to get information on what was going on but you can not - there is no telephone no to speak to someone just a website that tells you they are looking for the bags, which is just frustrating not helpful. After 4 days of wearing the same clothes all my bags were found but no offer of an apology or compensation for me having to spend 4 days with no clothes to change and no toiletries to freshen up.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Warsaw via Berlin