Vote Now

Air Berlin

"Great service and friendly crew"

Verified Review | New York JFK to Berlin. Great service and friendly crew. When I booked, I saw some people reporting bad reviews about them, I was sceptical. I must say I was beyond happy and grateful that I flew with them.
AircraftA330 DH4
RouteNew York JFK to Berlin
Date FlownMarch 2017

"cabin crew was unfriendly"

(Denmark)

Verified Review | Abu Dhabi to Berlin. The cabin crew in our section was unfriendly. When asked for milk for my coffee she just waved it, never said a word, no smiles, no response in English. I had the person next to me translate. Nobody looked at passengers when we entered the plane, the crew talked to each other and we were just not greeted with a smile like all other companies I have flown with. I had to make this review, as it was not a good atmosphere, I felt really uncomfortable and it was quite a long flight.
RouteAbu Dhabi to Berlin
Date FlownMarch 2017

"enjoy free baggage allowance and seat selection"

(Russian Federation)

Verified Review | Flew Air Berlin from Milan to Berlin. Of course, you should not expect lots of comfort here (the seats are quite narrow) and there is no free food, but for a short-range flight it's not that critical. What you get is reduced price and nice Topbonus frequent flyer program which allows to collect miles fast. Once you achieve Silver tier, you can continue buying relatively cheap tickets, but also enjoy free baggage allowance and seat selection.
RouteMilan to Berlin
Date FlownMarch 2017

"young cabin crew was polite and professional"

(Italy)

Verified Review | Flew Air Berlin to Vienna for a short business trip: they are the only option from Linate airport and for me it is much better than flying Austrian from Malpensa since I can save half an hour drive to get to MXP. Bought my ticket in December and paid about EUR 180,00 including one checked bag and seat selection. Both flights were perfectly on time, check-in was a breeze, the young cabin crew was polite and professional and and planes clean and modern. More than enough to be satisfied and to declare that I will surely fly them again for short haul flights inside Europe.
AircraftA320/A321
RouteMilan to Vienna
Date FlownMarch 2017

"cannot really expect my luggage"

(Poland)

Verified Review | Munich to Warsaw via Berlin. Air Berlin was late about an hour at boarding, at departure 2hrs. In Berlin I had to transfer to connecting flight to Warsaw, which was to depart 30 min before the first flight's late arrival. Hustling off the plane, there was no bus to bring us to the terminal, which literally was 15m away. After 5 min, there was a bus to bring us these 15m. Inside the terminal, I was running to catch the next flight. It took about 5 min, just to notice me boarding the plane right next to the one I came in with. After having seated, we were told that we need to wait for another 30min because one passenger did not show up but his luggage was loaded, so it had to be unloaded. About 2h late departure. Arrived in Warsaw, I was told my luggage did not arrive, because there was too short time in Berlin to transfer my luggage. Air Berlin staff knew this already in Berlin, but decided to tell us upon arrival in Warsaw. However, how was there 30 min to unload luggage but not to load transfer luggage? Being left without christmas presents and without any clothes one day before christmas, I was also told that before 2 days after christmas I cannot really expect my luggage. Thank you Air Berlin for ruining christmas. Never again.
RouteMunich to Warsaw via Berlin
Date FlownDecember 2016

"the airline looks better"

Verified Review | Berlin Tegel to Bucharest. I would start my review with the regret that Air Berlin has stopped flying to Bucharest and those were one of the last flights operated by them. I know it is tough to keep pace with Ryanair but since Air Berlin has moved towards a quality service experience for its customers, maybe it would have been nice to get this experience on this route too. I must say that since I fly Air Berlin (and that is a lot of time) I only had once or twice that my flight was delayed. And those flights to/from Bucharest were both ahead of schedule. I have read it is not always the case but from my experience and point of view, I was really impressed to see so many flights on time. The aircrafts they are flying are new (I suppose the kept only the new ones in their fleet after the restructuring last year) and as a topbonus platinum I always get a seat with extra leg-room which makes flying with them a joyful experience. There are some things that are disturbing: the inflight entertainment system only shows ads of Air Berlin and their partners together with their destinations, over and over again. This becomes too much after some time and they never change. They have an App which you can use on your own device for WiFi and entertainment, but for my surprise you had to pay for watching TV-Series as well, not only for using the WiFi. They are many airlines which offer this service for free. Another thing that I find not right are the prices for the in-flight snacks and drinks. I understand that this is a new market strategy (is it really part of that high quality experience they are talking about?) but there are operators offering decent prices, not 3,5€ for a mineral water. And the coffee was really bad: a bag exactly like tea infused in hot water. I would expect more quality from their famous "signature" coffee. I think things are changing and the airline looks better like it used to be some years ago. The cabin crew members are more friendly but there is still much to do. Many people say it has the corporation mentality and they attention for client is low and that is partially true. I think being closer to the client in any way will make this airline better.
RouteBerlin to Bucharest
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"just an unpleasant flight"

Verified Review | Berlin to Abu Dhabi. XL seats are good, great leg room and I found the seat very comfortable to sit on. Everything else was quite sad! Crew was cold and except for one flight attendant there were no smiles. None of them seemed happy or enjoying their job. Food was very disappointing, actually shocking how little it can be, and I am not a big eater. It was just an unpleasant flight.
RouteBerlin to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"do not recommend Air Berlin"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Munich. I started flying with Air Berlin from Germany to the US for business during a period of strikes by Lufthansa. I did a few flights with them with a few minor problems (delayed flights, delayed luggage); I kept using them as I had already a bunch of miles and a gold status, but the last one was very bad and is the last drop. Connecting in Berlin will require you to change terminals by walking outside and going over security again. Their lounges are so bad that are almost always worse than the comparable regular waiting areas from better airlines. A lot of their web site is not working, specially if you are accesing it from outside of Germany. Their phone app is buggy and of very limited functionality. It is very hard to get hold of them on the phone, you have to navigate a maze of menus to get there and then wait for long periods of time. Their phone service is very fragmented, once I get to talk with someone it often happens that he or she can not do what I need and I need to call again. My average has been four calls to get anything done; this is in total with waiting and menu navigation about 45 minutes. Their phone service is not 24 hours, if you are in a different time zone than Germany you may have to actually wake up in the middle of the night to call. It is practically impossible to make use of miles for flight upgrades in their own flights. It is effectively impossible to use their miles to upgrade or buy any service from other airlines on the network. Booking an award fligh on their own flights requires you to call them, again, this is difficult; you cannot do it online. My last return flight was cancelled and I arrived with a 12 hour delay back home, losing a whole work day; they didn't offer lounge access during my 12 hour wait at the San Francisco airport. Now they are delaying and dragging their feet with lots of bureaucracy to pay the compensation mandated by EU regulations. This is just what I can remember in one go, the list can go on. I definitely do not recommend using Air Berlin.
RouteSan Francisco to Munich
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"never fly with them again"

(Spain)

Verified Review | The flight from Berlin to Abu Dhabi is supposed to be sold in collaboration with Etihad. However, the experience of Air Berlin is million miles away from what I have experienced on Etihad. The staff use German as their first language of contact all the time - even on the fifth time when I spoke to them, they would still answer in German. They hardly ever smile or keep an eye contact. When the entertainment is switched on, you have to go and ask for the headset. They expect you to bring your own. We took off at 21.30 and received first refreshment 2 hours into the flight - I managed to watch a whole movie before they offer a glass of water. Considering that it's a night flight, they wait with delivering the supper until it's 2 am. Hardly anyone was still awake. Considering the food, they could hardly offer less: three spoons of overcooked pasta with tomato sauce, four crackers and two slices of cheese. And do not try to ask for another glass of wine - they never look at you. Terrible service and will never fly with them again.
RouteBerlin to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"not be a returning customer"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Stockholm to Düsseldorf return with Air Berlin. This was a cheap trip for me, except for the luggage which was well priced but all in all, a cheap trip. The seats were nice and the seat in front of me did not recline too much leaving me with good space. But then again I am a 1.61m short girl. The crew was not too pleasant or attentive. No help was given with the luggage at all, they just stood there. A girl next to me kept her cabin bag model large in an empty seat next to her during the whole flight, while I was forced to put my soft jacket on the floor under a seat. She could have asked to put it in the compartment for me - I got what I paid for I guess. Air Berlin thank you for taking me to Germany for a reasonable price but no thank you, I will not be a returning customer.
RouteStockholm to Düsseldorf