Vote Now

Air Berlin

"the airline looks better"

Verified Review | Berlin Tegel to Bucharest. I would start my review with the regret that Air Berlin has stopped flying to Bucharest and those were one of the last flights operated by them. I know it is tough to keep pace with Ryanair but since Air Berlin has moved towards a quality service experience for its customers, maybe it would have been nice to get this experience on this route too. I must say that since I fly Air Berlin (and that is a lot of time) I only had once or twice that my flight was delayed. And those flights to/from Bucharest were both ahead of schedule. I have read it is not always the case but from my experience and point of view, I was really impressed to see so many flights on time. The aircrafts they are flying are new (I suppose the kept only the new ones in their fleet after the restructuring last year) and as a topbonus platinum I always get a seat with extra leg-room which makes flying with them a joyful experience. There are some things that are disturbing: the inflight entertainment system only shows ads of Air Berlin and their partners together with their destinations, over and over again. This becomes too much after some time and they never change. They have an App which you can use on your own device for WiFi and entertainment, but for my surprise you had to pay for watching TV-Series as well, not only for using the WiFi. They are many airlines which offer this service for free. Another thing that I find not right are the prices for the in-flight snacks and drinks. I understand that this is a new market strategy (is it really part of that high quality experience they are talking about?) but there are operators offering decent prices, not 3,5€ for a mineral water. And the coffee was really bad: a bag exactly like tea infused in hot water. I would expect more quality from their famous "signature" coffee. I think things are changing and the airline looks better like it used to be some years ago. The cabin crew members are more friendly but there is still much to do. Many people say it has the corporation mentality and they attention for client is low and that is partially true. I think being closer to the client in any way will make this airline better.
RouteBerlin to Bucharest
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"just an unpleasant flight"

Verified Review | Berlin to Abu Dhabi. XL seats are good, great leg room and I found the seat very comfortable to sit on. Everything else was quite sad! Crew was cold and except for one flight attendant there were no smiles. None of them seemed happy or enjoying their job. Food was very disappointing, actually shocking how little it can be, and I am not a big eater. It was just an unpleasant flight.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteBerlin to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"do not recommend Air Berlin"

Verified Review | San Francisco to Munich. I started flying with Air Berlin from Germany to the US for business during a period of strikes by Lufthansa. I did a few flights with them with a few minor problems (delayed flights, delayed luggage); I kept using them as I had already a bunch of miles and a gold status, but the last one was very bad and is the last drop. Connecting in Berlin will require you to change terminals by walking outside and going over security again. Their lounges are so bad that are almost always worse than the comparable regular waiting areas from better airlines. A lot of their web site is not working, specially if you are accesing it from outside of Germany. Their phone app is buggy and of very limited functionality. It is very hard to get hold of them on the phone, you have to navigate a maze of menus to get there and then wait for long periods of time. Their phone service is very fragmented, once I get to talk with someone it often happens that he or she can not do what I need and I need to call again. My average has been four calls to get anything done; this is in total with waiting and menu navigation about 45 minutes. Their phone service is not 24 hours, if you are in a different time zone than Germany you may have to actually wake up in the middle of the night to call. It is practically impossible to make use of miles for flight upgrades in their own flights. It is effectively impossible to use their miles to upgrade or buy any service from other airlines on the network. Booking an award fligh on their own flights requires you to call them, again, this is difficult; you cannot do it online. My last return flight was cancelled and I arrived with a 12 hour delay back home, losing a whole work day; they didn't offer lounge access during my 12 hour wait at the San Francisco airport. Now they are delaying and dragging their feet with lots of bureaucracy to pay the compensation mandated by EU regulations. This is just what I can remember in one go, the list can go on. I definitely do not recommend using Air Berlin.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteSan Francisco to Munich
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"never fly with them again"

(Spain)

Verified Review | The flight from Berlin to Abu Dhabi is supposed to be sold in collaboration with Etihad. However, the experience of Air Berlin is million miles away from what I have experienced on Etihad. The staff use German as their first language of contact all the time - even on the fifth time when I spoke to them, they would still answer in German. They hardly ever smile or keep an eye contact. When the entertainment is switched on, you have to go and ask for the headset. They expect you to bring your own. We took off at 21.30 and received first refreshment 2 hours into the flight - I managed to watch a whole movie before they offer a glass of water. Considering that it's a night flight, they wait with delivering the supper until it's 2 am. Hardly anyone was still awake. Considering the food, they could hardly offer less: three spoons of overcooked pasta with tomato sauce, four crackers and two slices of cheese. And do not try to ask for another glass of wine - they never look at you. Terrible service and will never fly with them again.
RouteBerlin to Abu Dhabi
Date FlownFebruary 2017

"not be a returning customer"

(Sweden)

Verified Review | Stockholm to Düsseldorf return with Air Berlin. This was a cheap trip for me, except for the luggage which was well priced but all in all, a cheap trip. The seats were nice and the seat in front of me did not recline too much leaving me with good space. But then again I am a 1.61m short girl. The crew was not too pleasant or attentive. No help was given with the luggage at all, they just stood there. A girl next to me kept her cabin bag model large in an empty seat next to her during the whole flight, while I was forced to put my soft jacket on the floor under a seat. She could have asked to put it in the compartment for me - I got what I paid for I guess. Air Berlin thank you for taking me to Germany for a reasonable price but no thank you, I will not be a returning customer.
RouteStockholm to Düsseldorf

"wouldn´t recommend it"

Verified Review | Hurghada to Munich. As somebody who flies various times per year I can say that this was the worst flight I've ever been on. First of all the positive : the service was unexpectedly well. On a four hour flight they served alcoholic beverages and some snacks for free what is not usual these days on low cost airlines. The worst part of the whole flight were the cramped seats. I´m 1,98 m tall (6'6ft) tall so I couldn't find any comfortable position. My knees hurt and I didn't have any space to rest my legs. Asked at the check in for a emergency exit row-seat they wanted to charge me 39EUR what is unjustifiable towards clients of my height. So I spent three hours standing in front of the toilets to avoid pain. This was the first and last time I've booked Air Berlin. If they aren´t able to provide decent space or service for tall costumers I see no reason to pay for a flight with them. Wouldn´t recommend it.
RouteHurghada to Munich
Date FlownJanuary 2017

"don't care about their customers"

Verified Review | Rhodes to Paris via Berlin. They made me pay a fee for lugagge (115€). They did not deliver the luggage on time, I had to wait 5 days and call the airport every day. My luggage arrived 5 days later damaged and my kitesurf board that was in the bag as broken. After contacting them for 5 months they still never did anything, they did not even send me a single message or gave me a call. They don't care about their customers.
RouteRhodes to Paris via Berlin
Date FlownAugust 2016

"ended almost 24 hours later"

Verified Review | It started in New York City and it all ended almost 24 hours later in Florence. The flight from NYC to Dusseldorf was 2 hours late (supposedly for an unspecified “change of equipment”) hence my flight from Dusseldorf to Florence had to be rerouted. Therefore I had to fly from NYC to Dusseldorf, Dusseldorf to Vienna (Austria), then from Vienna to Rome (IT) the from Rome to Florence. 4 flights. My baggage was lost and given to me after 3 days. On my way back, the flight from Florence to Dusseldorf was cancelled therefore I missed my connection flight for NYC. I spent 12 hrs in the airport in Florence without Air Berlin answering to my and all other passengers’ complaints. After 12hrs of waiting they put me on a flight to Rome. Arrived in Rome, they say that hotel rooms are waiting for us. I spent the night in the lobby of a Hilton Hotel with fellow passengers because staff at the hotel said that Air Berlin didn’t email them about our arrival. At 3:30am I went to the airport and boarded a flight to Dusseldorf, then one to Berlin, then one to New York. I got to NYC with a 24hrs delay. An offensive 5 Euros voucher for lunch was given to me.
RouteFCO to JFK via DUS / TXL

"outstanding experience today"

Verified Review | Dusseldorf to Los Angeles in Business class. Outstanding experience today. Amazing cabin crew with attention to detail. Great food choices as well and very comfortable seats. Enjoyed the inflight entertainment system as well. Usually fly on Lufthansa or Swiss but Air Berlin is much better in business class in my opinion.
AircraftA330-200
RouteDUS to LAX

"inconvenience and rudeness"

Verified Review | Stockholm to Chicago. Air Berlin is the worst airline I've had an experience with. I landed in Chicago after four months of studying abroad in Sweden, only to see that myself and my friend didn't have any of our luggage arrive. This was on December 22nd so this clearly affected how our holidays were going to be spent. After calling, and calling, and emailing, they had lost my bag, found it again, lost it in Copenhagen, found it again - finally 6 days later on the 28th I received my bags. I missed a trip for Christmas, giving presents, all of my personal items etc. Air Berlin was rude about the process and I would never recommend flying with them if you have baggage. Air Berlin get a solid two thumbs down for inconvenience and rudeness.
RouteStockholm to Chicago