United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by S Bennett    (Ireland)

I booked a return trip to Las Vegas via Dublin. On the return trip the seat in front of me was an emergency exit. The seat itself appeared to be broken, when the passenger in this seat put the seat in the rest position, the seat reclined back so far that the space left to me was extremely confined. When I asked the cabin crew if I was obliged to have this person sitting "on top" of me she stated he was allowed to put his seat back. As a result I sat for 6 hours approx with no reasonable space in front of me. I got no food as there was no room to let down my food tray.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by T Daniels    (USA)

Both coming from and going to our destination the check in staff were very rude and difficult to work with. We've always been around 50 pounds for our checked bags, sometimes a little over, sometimes less and most airlines don't care as long as you're close enough. Not United - it's 50 lbs exactly or they won't take your bags. Their check in staff are normally pretty unhappy and rude. What makes it even more ridiculous is most people just shift the weight to their carry-ons - meaning the airplane is still carrying the exact same amount of weight.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by J Marcos    (USA)

I recently flew from SFO to Cancun and back. First off, I had to pay for poor entertainment offered inflight when other airlines offer better entertainment for free. I mean, I paid for movies that I can't even pause when I use the restroom (ridiculous). Secondly, no food was served for this long flight. Even some chips or light snacks would have helped. Thirdly, the seats were meh, I have had better seats. It is a forgettable experience except for the bad parts like the entertainment system. If given the chance, I will not fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by Hunsa Punnapayak    (Thailand)

UA838, BKK-NRT, Biz class. Flight was packed. Wonder why UA would discontinue BKK with the planed loaded with passengers. Laid flat seat. Sat on the upper deck near the cockpit. UA Biz were pretty crowded. Food was mediocre. Breakfast choices were Thai noodle or omelette. Grilled sandwich prior to landing was delicious.

UA79, EWR-NRT, Biz-First. This is a long haul flight about 14 hours on a Boeing Dreamliner with staggered seats. Would have been nice for privacy but unfortunately seated next to a guy who had cold and sneezed around most of the time. Mid flight snack placed in the galley was minimum. When I went there most were gone. Toilet was poorly stocked with only 1 liquid soap bottle. Flight crews were nice. Amenity kit came in a lousy tin can but it is said to be a collectible one.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by J Willis    (UK)

UA29, 14/03/14. Friday evening departure from Newark and the airport was busy, however the check in and bag drop facility was well organised so wasn't queuing long. Onboard the flight the 777 was full so it did feel quite claustrophobic, the seats were not very comfortable but the legroom was ample. The flight only took 6 hours 15 minutes but the cabin crew were friendly and worked really hard and managed the meal service and two drinks runs before turning the lights off. Breakfast was served an hour and half before landing and consisted of a warm croissant and a small fruit salad. The flight landed ahead of schedule in to Heathrow and I was again fairly impressed with United.

UA 468, SFO-PHX, First Class. UA 1265, PHX-EWR, First class. Typical domestic UA first which is nothing more than a bigger seat and free food. Ordered SW Chicken salad but got tasty beef with noodle instead. First class fare is not reasonable. If purchased separately way too expensive for what you get.

UA838, NRT-SFO, Biz class. This is a long haul flight with amenity bag. Japanese food selection was Okay. Mid flight snack was placed quietly in a galley. Good thing was the arrival lounge at the SFO to freshen up and shower after landing. This lounge closed at noon and quite difficult to locate. It is on a lower level on the way to terminal 3, if you walk from the international terminal. Info desk did not know about the UA arrival lounge.

UA 837, NRT-BKK, Biz. Sat on the upper deck to avoid the large Biz crowd. Flight was so packed. Hope UA consider to continue its operation to BKK again in the near future. Food was mediocre with beef steak. Japanese crews were polite and nice.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by Schaefer Betsy    (Canada)

March 12th 2014, flight UA200 was okay but we landed in Houston an hour late and were told our connecting flight UA5189 was cancelled. We were at Terminal B and at this point the service provided by United Airline Airport staff was very poor. Instead of providing us with a direct flight to Toronto we were put on 2 connecting flights, these were delayed repeatedly until they were cancelled. We finally asked after waiting for 2 hours if there were any other flights to get home. We were put on an Air Canada flight to Toronto leaving at 2pm but told to go to terminal D to secure our seats and boarding passes but then were told to go to another Terminal and eventually found out this flight was leaving on March 13th a day later, not 2pm on March 12th. Finally we went to counter 1 where a staff member helped fly us back to Toronto. We unfortunately had a 2nd overnight flight and although we left Honolulu on March 11th at 7pm we only landed into Toronto 6.45am, Thur March 14th. The only saving grace was Air Canada offered free movies. We flew UA1715 and UA219, March 4 2014. Very long uncomfortable flight-no entertainment unless you paid. Very poor experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by J Willis    (UK)

UA28, 9/3/14. Noticed online that aircraft had been changed from 777 to a 767-400, which wasn't an issue as the 400s have AVOD entertainment similar to 777 and are far superior in comfort than the older 767-300. The service on this flight was good after the food service there was plenty of drinks runs and the cabin crew were happy to oblige when you went to galley for more. I only purchased one alcoholic drink on this flight as united charge $7 for a beer which in my view is a bit steep for a long haul flight but typical of an American carrier. Having flown with united before I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed and most importantly I got from a to b at a reasonable price.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 March 2014 by A Rosen    (USA)

March 8th 2014, myself and 6 family members and friends were scheduled to fly at 3.15pm from Punta Cana to Newark. Of course the usual 45 minute delay in boarding was to be expected, but by the time we got onto the tarmac and boarded the plane there was additional 2 hour delay. Finally by 9pm, 6 hours after we were supposed to depart, we were told the flight was canceled and would be rebooked the following day on flight 1762 at 2.20pm. Back through customs, back to pickup up our luggage and then most of the passengers went onto a bus to a hotel, to be returned the next day where the process was started again. 2 more hours to repeat check-in of luggage, security, and immigration. To add insult to injury, United canceled another scheduled flight on Sunday and stranded 200 other customers so we could fly out. Boarding in the 90-degree heat, they revealed to us that there were new mechanical problems with the replacement plane. They delivered us back to the terminal where we sat like cattle again, without any information at all. This was by far the worst travel experience I have had in 40 years of traveling. United airlines gave only an empty apology by text message on our arrival in Newark referring us to a website to claim a minor token gift which could never compensate us for disastrously poor customer service. The 2 lost luggage bags that arrived 24 hours after we arrived in Punta Cana the week before seemed almost trivial in comparison. What a shame!

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

YQB-ORD on 13 March. One reason for such low rankings is that I never actually ended up on a UA plane. Scheduled to fly out on the non-stop from Quebec City to O'Hare at 8am. The day before UA emails me that the flight is cancelled and they put me on a flight at 11.50am via EWR. Nope - not on United. Online showed the plane from EWR on-time into YQB, but it never landed. Around 11.30 am the departure board shows a 3 hour delay for departure. There is not a single UA rep at the gate - and no one ever shows up to tell people what is going on. The pilots and flight attendant who are to work the trip to EWR didn't have any idea and were embarrassed that one heard it was a mechanical problem while the other heard it was weather. Every other airline into YQB was operating on-time or with 10-15 min delays due to snow in Quebec - all but United. I spent over an hour on the phone with my corporate travel trying to get on another flight - the first United agent wouldn't help my travel agent so she called back and got someone else willing to help. I ended up on Air Canada to YUL and then to ORD. Air Canada was fantastic! United - what is wrong with you? I never say never but unless it is mandated I fly on UA I won't do it. I was Platinum with them last year and Gold this year but I'll stick with American or Air Canada.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by S Lewis    (USA)

UA5713, New York City, NY - New York-LaGuardia (LGA) to Washington, DC - Washington-Dulles (IAD)on 3/13/14. The new round of checks on size of carry on is being handled in a way that has convinced me that I should never fly United again. While my bag was not over the size, the agents take joy in making you size it, and have the "got you" attitude. I am convinced the lack of space in carry on bins will no longer be a problem because any business traveler or preferred customer will have enough sense to fly with another airline. It is amazing how far United will go to alienate it's good customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by Michael Fenn    (UK)

Birmingham (BHX) to West Palm Beach (PBI) via Newark (EWR) Business Class. Outbound 25 Feb Inbound 10/11 Mar. Reading some of the reviews about United it would seem to be an airline to avoid, however as it flies from my local airport I am more than happy to fly with them. The flights listed above all departed on time or within 10 minutes of schedule, all arrived early allowing for hassle free connections. The service by both check in staff and onboard staff was perfect, a lot of passenger complaints for this airline relate to staff attitudes, well the attitude question works both ways, some passengers are downright rude to check in and cabin crew. I have one or two gripes about the flights, I am amazed at what is allowed on board as hand luggage are these people so important that saving a few minutes by missing baggage reclaim is of paramount importance to them. The entertainment system was not fully functional on the international legs. All in all the whole experience was a pleasant one, I would recommend this airline for people in the West Midlands flying to the US, albeit travelling in Business makes a difference but the premium economy and economy cabin looked to be ok as well.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by M Kunkel    (USA)

On return flight to Denver, plane waits for 15 minutes at DIA, as ground crew is on break and between shifts even though docking space is open and available for our plane. The one checked bag I had, on a direct flight from Calgary, did not make the plane, even though I arrived for check in at Calgary, in plenty of time. As this was a small United plane, it was oversold. With so many carry ons checked in below, I and multiple other passengers had their luggage shifted to another plane. After waiting at the baggage carousel for 30 plus minutes, all 3 lost baggage claim stations at DIA were unattended on a Sunday afternoon for over 30 minutes. When staff finally sashayed out, the baggage reps stood for several minutes behind their computers, talking to no one. The last 6 United flights in the past year, that I and my family have taken, have all resulted in some form of delays, lost luggage, or rude staff. I did not receive my luggage until 50 hours after my flight landed.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by M Metts    (USA)

Flew SLC to ORD then ORD to DCA, both flights were great. The crew on both were very friendly and professional. We arrived early on both flights. I was in economy plus so plenty of leg room. Direct tv was available on ORD to DCA leg. I have flown a few of the discount airlines lately and was reminded how nice it is to fly United. Great trip!

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by R de Haan    (Canada)

Travelled to Mexico with a family of 5. United changed our flight to Mexico at the last minute causing our arrival to be over an hour later almost negating our travel to our resort. The morning of our return I received email confirmation indicating that our connecting flight from Newark to Syracuse was cancelled. During several hours of trying to reach them and receive a new flight to get home we were finally told that we would have to stay in Newark until the next available flight. Our flight from Cancun to Newark we wanted the inflight entertainment and wanted to pay for 3 screens. Between the armrest functions not working or the unit not recognizing cards we were only able to get one screen to work. My seat was actually broken and kept reclining back on its own. When we arrived in Newark on Wed March 12 2014 we were advised that we would be able to come to that airport to standby over the next few days in order to get one or two out at a time. We are a family of 5 with two daughters. We then were told that we could fly out on the 17th of March 5 nights later at our own expense. The cancellation 13 hours before was apparently for weather but when we landed the weather was a little bit of rain. We ended up renting a vehicle one way to Syracuse from National and a 4 hour drive later we were in Syracuse. I have flown United before without issue and were extremely disappointed with the airline on this trip. I will not be flying United next vacation that is for sure.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2014 by T Harig    (USA)

Flew VIE-FRA-IAD on 5 Jan 14, all economy. First leg was on LH1237 on a A321, second leg UA933 on a B777. Was prepared for a steerage experience on UA but felt the economy seat was surprisingly comfortable and the dinner ok as well. However there was a charge for wine/beer on this international flight of 9 hrs. I contrast this with the LH flight from VIE: complimentary sandwich and complementary wine/beer on a 90 min. flight! Try getting that on a US domestic flight!

United Airlines Customer review :  14 March 2014 by Joe Mosman    (USA)

I flew to Nashville via a connection in Houston. The first flight, a 60 seater, was overbooked by 7! The gate agent was totally overwhelmed. When I said I might "volunteer" to give up my seat she asked what the code for Nashville is. Agent came on and off the plane a dozen times before we finally left, 15 minutes late. Return flight from Nashville to Houston was cancelled and the robot computer rebooked my for 5.40am the next morning. All flights on original travel date were overbooked. Got to Nashville Airport and half of UA's Expressjet flights were cancelled or delayed. Every gate had the wrong flight posted and they reshuffled right before departure. Aircraft taxied for 15 minutes, then sat on the runway for 20 minutes. Not one word from the cockpit. Upon arrival in Houston, we sat for 10 minutes until someone showed up to pull up the boarding bridge.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 March 2014 by Michele Laplante    (Canada)

We had a connecting flight from Chicago to Montreal at 7.30pm and boarding time was at 7.00pm. Got to the airport 2 hours before our flight and decided to get a bite to eat in the terminal but first we checked the screens and our flight was on time. Left the restaurant 30 mins before boarding, when we go to the flight screens we had seen that it said cancelled we did not understand why? Told that the crew had not shown up and that there were no other flights available meaning we were stuck in Chicago until the next morning. 5am wake up to catch the new flight they had scheduled us on. Got to the agent at our gate and saw the agents panicking, told it would take 30 minutes to get the problem sorted. To top it off, my father booked a first class seat, the plane did not have a first class so he asked for an exit row seat, however they wanted to charge him almost 40$ when he had already had a first class seat to begin with.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by S Felton    (USA)

Booked a flight in December 2013 for a trip to Palm Springs in March 2014 - at that time had seat assignment - little did I know that booking in advance does not guarantee you a seat on the flight - they over booked the flight and I was bumped off my 7 am flight and spent 15 hours in San Fran airport compliments of United Airlines. Waited all day to get on a standby flight (7 that went through that day all over booked) - would have been bumped from the 11 pm flight, they rescheduled me on (after bumping me in the am) had I not checked to make sure I was "guaranteed" on the flight. Make sure that when you check in your ticket has a seat assignment - if it says "see agent" make sure you go early and hopefully get it taken care off - What a terrible disregard for peoples time from United. Feel bad for the ticket agents who I watched all day get yelled at by others who were bumped unwillingly!

United Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by R Ravindra    (USA)

Possibly the worst airline to fly internationally. Such a shame compared to other European and Asian airlines. Traveled on the ORD-MUN. Flight was delayed due to leakage in cargo. Apparently they found it after every one boarded the plane. Planes are ageing. Entertainment system kept rebooting automatically. Each reboot taking 5 minutes. Service was pathetic. FA's never tried to help. Beverage rounds were few and in between. Overall has been a very bad experience whenever I have flown United. Avoid it like plague.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Brian Reilly    (USA)

I am forced to fly by United Airlines from were I live, because they are the only airline at my local airport. I haven't flown them on an international flight since the late 90's. It was a bad experience then, my latest trip was even worse. If you're looking for bad seats, bad meals, people who hate their jobs, then this is your airline. They charged me an extra fee of $100 (USD) for my extra check in bag. I had to pay high prices for any drinks with alcohol on an International flight. They flew us home (9 hour transpacific flight from Tokyo) with a fixed cabin TV screen. No power outlet for electronics and flight attendants that made you afraid to ask for a drink of water.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax