United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  4 January 2014 by S Feick    (USA)

My first and undoubtedly last time flying United. The experience started out bad and then went downhill from there. On the first flight, from Pittsburgh to Chicago, we had to disembark before take-off because of a broken hydraulic, the delay was a few hours and we barely made our connecting flight. The second flight, Chicago to Nashville, was delayed because the lavatory staff never showed up to empty the bathrooms. Our first flight home was delayed because of a broken intercom. The connecting flight home, Chicago to Pittsburgh, was supposed to take off at 1.28pm and arrive at destination at 3.49pm. We boarded the plane and waited for take off, then were told to disembark because there was no flight crew. What they promised to be a short wait turned into six hours. Six hours of sitting at the gate with a $7 food voucher, hoping a crew would eventually be found. The woman at the desk encouraged us to go to customer service, but the employee at the end of that line told us the wait was too long and we should return to our gate. Unfortunately, later flights to Pittsburgh were all booked to capacity. When a crew was finally found, hours later, they were greeted by us like celebrities. Once the crew was settled, the passengers were boarded, and the plane was de-iced, the eventual take-off time was 7.30, six hours after it was supposed to. The only positive part about this flight was the kindness of the pilots and flight attendants. Their sweet attitudes and understanding were what kept us from completely melting down. United did offer us a discount for a future flight, but it really isn't a fitting compensation for the huge inconvenience they caused us.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 January 2014 by K Bohlke    (USA)

I was flying to South Dakota and on the way there United Airlines caused us to miss our connecting flight, they made us check our bag at the gate but would not bring them up to the plane until the last possible minute and this was after sitting on the runway for 20 minutes with no explanation as to why. On our 5.40 am return flight we heard another passenger saying that her flight from Chicago to Atlanta had been canceled. We had received no notification, no e-mails or anything notifying us that our connecting flight had been canceled. Put on the 7.00 flight. When we went to the gate (over an hour early) we watched as the flight changed times and gates multiple times, when we finally thought everything was over and we were going to board soon I looked up at the standby screen and saw that the seat that was on my boarding pass had been given away. When I went up to the counter all I was told was that "We have no record of your reservation, someone else has your seats. Sorry". We were sent from person to person at the counter. Told all they could do was put us on standby even though we had the boarding passes in our hands with the seat numbers. Finally able to get seats on the flight that was supposed to take off at 7.45, finally pulled out onto the runway at 9.45. The is the worst flying experience of my life and I will never set foot on a United flight again.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by L Long    (USA)

Dulles to LAX - flight delayed 2+ hours, not one edible thing offered for free for 5 hour flight and they even charged to watch the flight map! The attendants were a nice bunch of people but otherwise a truly unfriendly skies experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by Bernadette Eichner    (Australia)

I recently flew SYD-LAX with United. The last time I flew United was 30 years ago and I'm sure this was the same aircraft and same crew as I had on that flight. I cannot believe they are still flying 747-400s between Sydney and USA. This time I had my teenager travelling with me - no on-demand entertainment and no tablets for hire made for a very unpleasant 19 hours - in seats that feel like an iron bench and staff that have learned 100 ways to say "No" and I can say with complete certainty, I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by G Wey    (USA)

Shanghai to Nashville via Chicago, Sep 2013. Delayed 2 hours leaving Shanghai, sat on the runway for 2 hours, instead of letting us sit in the airport. On the flight, had several rude flight attendants. Flight ran out of wine in economy section 2 hours into a 14 hour flight! When they passed the meals, we did not have the opportunity to look at a menu ahead of time to see what side dishes went with the entrees. The stewardess did not want to take the time to tell us what else was on the menu with each entree. Arrived late in Chicago. Asked United agent for assistance to catch our flight to Nashville. He said," That isn't going to happen"! We waited in line over an hour to find out how we were to get home. Very unorganized and appeared short staffed at desk where we waited. Of course, we missed the last flight of the day. Given a $7 voucher to eat dinner in Chicago and a $7 voucher to eat breakfast in Chicago the next day! Put up in a hotel for the night. Arrived home the next afternoon. I am very disappointed with their lack of customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by W Walker    (USA)

I used to fly United and Continental on a regular basis. The new seating and smaller bathrooms were horrible. We used frequent flyer points to travel and even with those will never fly this airline again. In fact, we will pay twice as much just to not have to travel with them. I watched in horror as a father who took his baby into one of the newly configured bathrooms get stuck and unable to get out of the aforementioned bathroom. He had to put the baby on his shoulder and duck down to exit. This was not an exceptionally large man. The new pockets on the seat backs can't even hold a small book. Why put them there if they are useless? No more movies? If this is the new no frills airlines perhaps they should charge appropriately.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by T Saucier    (USA)

The worst customer service experience ever! I purchased 3 round trip tickets and confirmed seating assignment 4 months ago. Today they automatically reassigned the seats for the 1st leg of the return to the very last row of the plane and split up the party. And would not provide any seat assignments for the 2nd leg of the trip. I called to get these re-adjusted and was told by their customer service manager "to read the contract of carriage". I've flown many airlines for many years and have never been so astonished by the rudeness and lack of willingness to service the customer.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Dianne Brimstein    (USA)

Dec 22 2013, flight 3429 to Greenville / Spartanburg S.C. returning on Dec 2013 to Chicago O'Hare, flight 3429. My flight on Dec 22 was announced that it was delayed in the last hour before boarding. The information she kept giving us was not correct and kept announcing longer delays. Once on the plane we were told by the pilot and stewardess that the plane was being repaired which took 30 hrs, so we actually had no plane right from the start and told of no delays until the last hour. I am very disappointed in this service and find this very unprofessional.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2013 by Jake Smith    (UK)

Manchester - Washington Dulles on Boeing 757. I'm a regular traveller to the US and decided to give this route a go. Wish I hadn't. Single aisle aircraft is not a good idea on trans-atlantic routes. Moving around the plane was no so easy because of the single aisle. Had to pay for inflight drinks at about $7 a go. Meals were so-so. Service levels on US carriers not anything like as good as the European. Next time I will revert to the British Airways services via the wonderful Heathrow T5 - its worth the extra travel time for a superior inflight experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by Tammy Ong    (USA)

We recently flew 4 times with United (Amsterdam-New York-Costa Rica-New York-Amsterdam). The flight to/from United Airlines is by far the worst airline a person could use for travel. Let me first start by saying we booked our flight for Dec24 2013 in early Oct with our seats assigned. We arrived at Louisville international Airport, when they issued our tickets our seats were not together. We showed the counter help our booked flight and seats and she notified the supervisor who in turn changed our seats to be together. Then we arrive in Denver and we are boarding the second flight when we are told we needed to see the desk because there was a problem with my husbands ticket. The girl at the desk said she didn't know how to fix the issue so she notified the supervisor. He accused my husband of missing his first flight. Then he placed us once again in separate seats and when I told him that wasn't right his words to me were "well then don't go". This airline has no idea about good customer service. I'm dreading my trip back to Louisville this Sunday!

United Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by H Castle    (USA)

SAN-IAH-AMS/AMS-IAH-LAX-SAN in economy plus. Flights on time, food on international segments decent, planes clean, IFE worked properly, service friendly, and baggage arrived with me. Travel met expectations. I've done this trip a few times previously and have never had a complaint.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by B LaPoint    (USA)

Out of 5 flights, none of which were on time. All were between a half an hour to a full hour late. My first three were to Alaska from New York with stops in D.C. and Denver. The result of these flights running late made it so I didn't have the time to stop and grab something to eat between planes. Not having a credit card, the flight attendants would not allow me to purchase any food. The last of these late, United-run planes, was also veru unpleasant due to the screen being stuck on almost maximum brightness in front of my face the entire time I was trying to sleep because the armrest controls were not working. Arrived at the airport around the departure time of my connecting flight, usually not a problem, I've had airlines hold planes for me and others before but not this time. The plane left right as I got in. I am now stuck hundreds of miles from home. Luckily, I had the opportunity to catch a flight only four hours later than my original on American Airlines. If that opportunity didn't arise, I would have had to somehow stay in Chicago.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 December 2013 by Dick Hoefsloot    (Netherlands)

We recently flew 4 times with United (Amsterdam-New York-Costa Rica-New York-Amsterdam). The flight to/from Amsterdam was reasonably OK. However, we were very disappointed about that lack of courtesy by the stewardess. Instead of asking: "Would you like the chicken or beef meal Sir", she simply shouted "chicken or beef" and then shoved the tray in our hands with a brisk "here". Also no printed menus were provided to show the meal choices on forehand. The fasten seatbelt signs were left on for two hours (with only slight turbulence). I got told off for going to the toilet, but my girlfriend had to wait nearly a quarter of an hour before the stewardess let her through to the toilets (although she first asked permission). During all that time she was left standing in the aisle because the staff did not want to shift the coffee trolley back a couple of rows. During this time the seatbelt signs were still on and there was turbulence. Very inconsiderate and inconsistent! The inflight entertainment system on the flight to/from Costa Rica was horrible. We saw the same short "B-quality" movie about 8 time. We noticed that only about half a dozen other passengers paid the required US$ 7.99 to watch the direcTV programs. On both flights United probably earned less than 100 US$ from this pay-per-view system that made 2% of the passengers happy and 98% miserable. Not even the flight map was provided for free!

United Airlines Customer review :  25 December 2013 by T Xavier    (USA)

DEN-EWR-CDG/CDG-IAD-DEN: Flew with United round-trip to Paris last week in economy plus. Flights all arrived on time(flight out of Newark was over an hour late departing but b/c of very strong tailwinds arrived on time in Paris). Both transatlantic flights had personal video, which was nice, meals were OK, flight staff were professional. While the economy plus seats aren't any wider, the extra legroom was a help on the flights. Based on this experience, I'd fly United to Europe again.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax