United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Nicholas Edwards    (USA)

Flew from LAX-LHR in Global First on the 777-200. Pros - Overall it is a very comfortable seat, nice and soft bedding with a mattress pad, small cabin (only 8 seats), great inflight entertainment system, and friendly service. Cons - Food was subpar for international first and the appetizer was a spring roll and a coconut rubbed shrimp skewer - very similar to what you might find in a cheap cocktail party. Soup was served in a teacup sized bowl, main was ok, desert was ok too if you like ice cream as that is the only option. If United wants to compete with other international first class, it needs more refinement, style, and "class" in their product. As I used award miles for this seat, it was perfectly fine. I would only fly first on an upgrade or on an award ticket, otherwise it is not worth the money.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Emily Franks    (USA)

What a ridiculous flight. My husband and I had to first had to wait over an hour to check our bags from Colorado to Alaska. Then our flight was over an hour late because of delays loading luggage. We missed our connecting flight and we had to wait in Anchorage with our three month old son for 8 hours. We didn't get a meal voucher or anything. The staff that worked for United told us that we weren't entitled and it was too bad. They gave everyone free movie on the plane but my husbands didn't work. I had already paid for a movie so it didn't matter on my screen. Will not be flying United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by C Fisher    (USA)

United looks appealing simply because it offers more choice and times. In previous years, it has been my first choice. Each time I was hoping the problem was just a fluke. The last 3 United flights all had huge delays and poor handling of the situation. The delay was not reported until after boarding time and passengers were not assisted with missing their connecting flight. Staff were rude and the planes were not very clean. United has grown too big to properly handle itself. If your looking for quality, not quantity, United is not the airlines to pick any more.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

NRT-SFO, upper deck B747. Check-in was quick and easy going. Avoiding UA depressing lounge, went to ANA one, which was not so so better. Wines not good. Food really uneatable (chicken). Desert: high calories ice cream with artificial flavor dressing. All of this to be avoided by healthy persons. Nice IFE, but much more limited than on B777. Old seat , but much more comfortable than B777 ANA's.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

SFO-SAN. B737-800. Everything fine, quick and easy, but luggage did nor make it. It arrived two flights later. Mysteries of UA/SFO.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by M Dennison    (UK)

Flew from LHR to Orlando via Washington. At LHR the staff were very helpful in sorting out our ESTA cock-up (kids' passports had been changed since applying for ESTA). That is the only positive about United. The seats are uncomfortable and cramped, the choice of in-flight entertainment poor (even if you could see it on the minuscule seat-back screen) or for the 2 hour flights pay-TV, and the food absolutely disgusting. No snacks offered (I guess they are worried people will fill up on these having tasted the food), although available to purchase, and no complimentary alcohol. Attendants fairly average, and could certainly do with a better corporate uniform on trip out. On way back distinctly poor. Most worrying was the man who was on our plane, and about 20 mins before take- off realized he was on the wrong flight, only when somebody else came to sit in his seat. How is that allowed to happen on United from Washington? From a security point of view it is unbelievable, and I wonder how the poor bloke fared trying to find the correct flight. Oh yes and over-booked flights, which I thought were a 20th century thing.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by A Duell    (Australia)

I flew UA from New York to LA and had to buy $10 headphones if I wanted to watch the TV. I also booked the flights with my partner and put us seated together and when we printed out our boarding tickets they had moved us so we sat separately on the flight. We then flew from LAX to Sydney Australia. Once again they had separated us. We were extremely annoyed that we had to spend a 14 and a half hour flight sitting in between strangers when we booked to sit together. There was no complimentary alcoholic beverages and the good food always ran out by the time it got towards the end of the plane which a lot of people complained about to the staff. Overall I would never recommend UA to anyone. Splitting up couples and putting single riders between them is a joke and not good enough.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Monique Cormier    (Canada)

Travelling from Ottawa to Maui on December the 28/2014, my experience with staff was not pleasant, some of them were very rude and impolite. Service was pitiful, not picking up garbage. At one point I had to take my own trash to the back of the plane, where staff were standing and chatting between themselves. If I can help it, I will never travel with this company again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Hendrix Andrew    (USA)

I used United in the past for domestic flights in the US and it was average, I thought it would be fine to use them to travel abroad. Price was the same as any other good or average quality airline. No less. Seat Comfort: average for domestic seat comfort with the disadvantage that there is no pillow, blanket, or other accessories offered. Food and Beverages: Here, the situation started bothering me. The only available food was for sale! The only beverages were water, juice and such. Everything else was for sale. Inflight Entertainment: The only provided entertainment was also for sale, even to listen to music you had to pay. Staff Service: I guess this varies but it was pretty poor. Some flight attendants were not courteous and shouted at passengers who stood up at awkward times. $1000 USD, 6 hrs trip with no entertainment, no food (only beverages), rude attendants and semi-domestic flight seats. Moreover, since only beverages were served, there was a more than 6 people line to use the restrooms at all times for the last 3 hours of the flight. After traveling to Europe and South America for the last two years in different airlines, I think this is a very poor service for such a high price. Other airlines give full service for about the same price!

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Candace Burns    (USA)

Flew round trip Houston to Honolulu in Business Class costing over $6,000.00. The seats didn't recline enough to sleep comfortably. The foot rest was manual and difficult to operate. The seat was not as wide as a normal business class seat. There was no TV monitor, only wifi via the United app and your personal screen device. No one on the flight was aware of needing a personal device on the flight. There were no outlets available to charge a personal device if you had one, and the wifi kept going out. The selection of movies was not current. Older movies and TV shows were the only thing available. The meals were awful, pasta and sauce and a burrito, the return flight had the same offerings other than a pathetic breakfast sandwich with paper thin ham. No amenity kit was offered on the red eye return flight. There was nothing upgraded or business class about this flight. I do not recommend this airline for the trip to Honolulu from Houston.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by S Crapnell    (Australia)

Flight 1252 to LA. Flight started off delayed 20 minutes then out to 40 minutes. Then we boarded and sat for a further 20 minutes. No communication from the staff regarding the delay until the standard 'loading some late luggage" excuse. Really poor. Flight finally pushed back over an hour late with very little comment from a cabin crew that were largely anonymous. Crew standards are pretty ordinary. Never again with UA.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by James Wallace    (USA)

Hong Kong to Newark in Business Class. Good flight attendant and a very comfortable bed. Unfortunately, the Fasten Seatbelt Sign came on at least 8 times during the 14 hour flight and many times for the smallest turbulence which most passengers ignored. However, a very loud recorded message came on every time that said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign, please make sure your seatbelt is securely fastened". Because of this announcement, I could never sleep more than 90 minutes at a time.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

Flew SFO LAX and ICN - SFO in Business as part of a RTW ticket. I continue to see improvement at United. On the short hop to LAX, I was in F and the drinks were served in glass as opposed to my last experience when they were in plastic. The FA was friendly and very present. On the transpacific leg, I was on the Upper Deck. I continue to really like the UA Business Class seat. It has more positions and the space is well designed. The dinner was quite good - Cioppino - and nicely served. Most US crews lack the energy and enthusiasm that one finds on foreign carriers but the service was friendly and attentive. I have no complaints.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Candace Burns    (USA)

Paid over $6,000 for business class ticket to Honolulu. This is an 8.5 hour flight. Seat was smaller than any other business class seat I've experienced - no recline and very uncomfortable. Meals were worse than usual airline food, a sad dish of penne pasta and tomato sauce. Second meal was a burrito wrap! Entertainment was pathetic. No monitor, only WiFi which did not offer any new releases and service was sketchy, lost connection several times. Staff was average, competent, but certainly not $6,000+ of friendly skies. Will avoid flying this airline if at all possible. So not looking forward to the return trip. Would change plans, but united charges $200.00 for any changes.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by T Allen    (Australia)

We flew from SYD to LAX in United Airlines Business Class, B777 service in December 2014. We were quite pleased with the overall experience. The seats proved to be comfortable in the sitting position. They were a bit too narrow though for comfortable sleeping even for a 5'2" woman. In comparison, my wife stated that her recent Business class long-haul flights on Qantas and Emirates had much better seats for sleeping primarily due to the greater width. She found it very difficult to get to sleep on the United seat although she noted that the United seats were more comfortable in the seated position. The length was felt to be adequate. Storage space was minimal but adequate for our needs. TV screens were very generously sized and of good quality. Food service was excellent in quality as well as the attentiveness of service and friendliness of the staff throughout the flight - deemed to be slightly better than both Qantas and Emirates in that respect. Overall a good experience so perhaps United is making effort (apparently successfully) to improve its quality of service in recent months.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Torwich James    (Ireland)

I flew BFS-EWR on November 3rd and returned December 3rd 2014. United is one of the worst airlines that I've ever travelled with. IFE was broken on both flights, the cabin crew were indifferent and some were down right nasty, the food was horrible. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by R Goralewicz    (USA)

Flew to Cancun in early December from NYC. To return to NYC we arrived at the airport in Cancun more than 2 hours before flight to find the United service desks in complete chaos. The line to check in stretched the entire length of the airport. No one was sure if they were on the right line as the signage was very confusing. No other airline had such problems. Very stressful and unpleasant. Will not fly United to Cancun again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by B Duston    (USA)

I recently returned from a round-trip from Charlotte-Rochester, NY with change of planes in Dulles on the outbound and Newark on the inbound. The trip was fine. Flight attendants on all flights were very professional. Ticketing crew in Charlotte and Rochester were nice. I used the lounge in Newark and was pleasantly surprised. Food was limited to snacks, but that was to be expected (why US airlines do not have lounges with food selections akin to those of international airlines is beyond me). But two unexpected plusses were the presence of showers (which I did not use) and free alcoholic beverages (albeit of limited varieties). Still, the lounge was a pleasant alternative of the hub-bub of Newark. I am a fan of propeller planes and was not disappointed. Both flights in and out of Rochester were on props. I will fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by B Nuss    (USA)

The first leg of our flight was substantially delayed so when we landed in Houston there was no time to eat. Had we known that the next leg was also going to be delayed, we would have just delayed boarding and grabbed something. From Houston to Aruba, the flight attendants were unfriendly and cranky. They began to offer food for purchase only to find that there was only enough food for the first 1/3 of the plane. On this long flight, they only came through the cabin once for beverages. A week later found us at the United counter because one member of our group of three had mysteriously been dropped from the reservation. It took over an hour to get United to see the error. Then, of course, the flight from Aruba to Houston was delayed, but at least we didn't have to wait on the plane this time. Flight attendants were at least cordial and offered beverage service twice. They offered food as well, but we had learned our lesson and ate in Aruba! Late getting into Houston so had to run (again) to catch our next plane for our final destination. The gold has definitely worn off the United name, it's just sad that they have taken Continental (which I used to love to fly) down with them.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by C Roney    (USA)

Right now sitting at LAX on the taxi way for 40 minutes waiting for gate to open - ridiculous. This is after 5+ hour flight from Lihue, HI. This is very poor management.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Patrick Michaels    (USA)

I have been thinking of switching my loyalty from US Airways, where I am a Million Miler. I am a mere silver on United but decided to add some miles on a round-trip from JFK to LAX, with a return through IAH to get a rare domestic ride on a flat BX seat in the internationally-configured 787. Completed the outbound yesterday in a 1 year old 737-900, with 20 "first class" seats. When the FA's started taking meal orders. The FA first goes to a young lady in the seat in front of me and informs her of the two menu choices. He then moves back to my row (4) and asks the woman next to me which she wants. He then looks at me and says he will be back. Then he works the other side of the aisle. He appears to be randomly moving between seats. Finally he gets to me and there is only one choice and he explained they have been instructed to service the FC cabin in order of United priority. In other word, the 16 nonrevenue upgrades get their choice compared to the schmuck without a lot of status who used real money (and not a small amount).

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by S Jordan    (USA)

United has stopped providing complimentary alcohol on international flights. Flight between Asia and US, they put us on a plane with no individual TV screen but the sharing overhead projector TV with pre-scheduled movies during a 12-hour flight. On my recent trip I traveled extensively with Cathay Pacific and Singapore which offers first class customer service to all travelers. I originally chose United based on its extensive hubs domestically and internationally expecting better travel planning and experience. With the increasing routes from CX between US, London, and Asia, and the abundant options of good airlines domestically (Southwest, JetBlue, Virgin), I'd much rather put a little effort to plan my trip than to travel miserably with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by J Harkin    (USA)

I was returning into Houston and catching a United flight from Houston to New Orleans. As usual for United, they cancelled the last flight into New Orleans for "maintenance reasons." Told they could have fixed the problem, but would have had to call in a new flight crew and they don't want to spend the money - it's cheaper to book passengers into a hotel. This has now happened to me and close family members no less than five times in the last couple of months. It has become a routine practice with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by C Palmateer    (USA)

Flew Business class earlier this month, Dulles-LAX round-trip. Seats were better than coach, but not by much. They recline only a little. Staff on the red-eye back to Dulles served a snack immediately, what is the point of that? I just wanted to sleep at midnight! Then they were noisily talking and carrying on throughout the flight, with the galley lights on the whole time. No curtain to block light, no attempt by them to keep their voices down so people could sleep. On the trip from Dulles to LAX, my inflight entertainment system didn't work.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by A Jones    (USA)

This was my first transatlantic flight and it was miserable. Being 6'4" the legroom was not nearly sufficient. Food wasn't worth the calories and lacked all flavor. Staff is indifferent and we left ORD 90 minutes behind schedule. I know it's become cliché to hate on United, but it Really is subpar. I've since flown Aer Lingus, American, Turkish, British and KLM over the same route and all were better (American was a tie, I'd say).

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Breffni McGeough    (USA)

Every winter United Airlines serves up the same "we do not care" service and "Do not even ask us to care" as it's simply more than they wish to even dream of fixing. Every winter flights leave Denver for the 30 minute hop into Aspen. Every year some flights may not land safely and the captain turns the plane around and takes the entire group back to Denver despite having three other airports at lower elevations that would place everyone within an hour to 90 minutes by bus or rent a car to Aspen but they make zero effort to make any contingency plan for this regular occurrence year after year. On the flight return to Denver the air hostess nor pilot make any effort to make any arrangements and at the counter upon arrival of course we wait another 30 min for a gate and the pilot answers are weaker than the air hostess. Then they try to pile all of us like cattle at the one service counter where the zig zag line crawls us through to one sour puss to tell you it's an act of God which excuses every lack of genius displayed on a regular basis. Each and every winter. Useless company #1 Award. I only gave them one star because I had to. Grooming is something else too with hair hanging out all over the place.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by A Van Brunt    (USA)

It's shocking how bad this airline can be. Flying out of Chicago-the United hub-we were delayed 2 hours while maintenance searched for a "no go" part to secure the carts in the galley. How such an apparently essential part was unavailable anywhere on the O'Hare property is unbelievable. It was a completely preventable delay and yet we received no apology from the crew.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by T Wiseman    (USA)

Late into Denver, switched to Late flight to Chicago but they dropped our names off the seating chart so we all had spread out horrible seats, given a motel in Chicago turned out to be a scam, (had to pay for motel), because no more final destination flights until next day. Some very nice service, but mostly very unfriendly, rude, horrible service people work for United. On way back same thing. Two hour delay for final destination and had to get another room waiting for, guess. Which led us to meet another rude service person in customer service dept. So, I will never fly the Un-friendly sky's of United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Bell Greg    (Australia)

I flew United First Class San Francisco to Seattle (Dec 2013), returning Jan 2014. I was appalled at the service, or lack of! No food or drink service at all, and this was in First Class! Ground crew at Seattle were terribly rude, and should not even be employed in the service industry. United is the worst airline I have had the misfortune to travel on!

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by B Aune    (USA)

Sat in 24D on an Airbus 320 from Seattle to Newark. This is a standard aisle seat located on the right side of the aircraft just a few rows behind the over-wing exit rows. It is one of what I call the "back-of-the-bus" seats featuring the new Slimline Recaro seating. In light of the trend by most of the domestic air carriers to squeeze as many seats/rows as possible into their airplanes, the best thing I can say about this seat is that it was adequate in terms of breadth, leg space and comfort. If you are 5' 10" or less in height, or a somewhat taller person with short legs, you will be able to sit in this seat and still have a couple of inches between your knees and the back of the seat in front of you. In other words, you don't have to sit upright and uptight and feel as though you cannot move or are frozen in place. The lumbar support of the seat back is neither better nor worse than any other typical economy/coach-class seat on United Airlines. I do wish that the seat cushion itself was more supportive - it felt soft and thin - perhaps because the density of the foam, filler or stuffing material used is lacking. On a long flight this seat may become uncomfortable and cause you to squirm a bit or want to get up and move around. Seat recline has been reduced and I was only able to move/tilt the seat back about two inches. Fortunately, for me, the middle seat on this flight was empty and that made my specific seat feel less confining and more bearable as I could spread out a bit (likewise for my seatmate in the adjoining window seat of this row). The staff appeared competent and the service itself was decent. The plane appeared relatively clean and well- maintained. Lamentably, there was no in-flight entertainment system whatsoever, which seems to be the trend on the smaller Airbus and Boeing aircraft operated by United. To reiterate my earlier comment, this seat was adequate and tolerable given the trend by the airlines of reducing seat pitch on their aircraft. Stated simply, it represents the new standard in air travel for the average passenger traveling on a budget.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Lagstein Marvin    (USA)

My wife and I travelled first class from Orlando to Newark recently. We were surprised to see there were no PTVs on the plane. When it was time for meal service, we were told there was chicken dinner or a salad. We both don't eat chicken, so we ordered salads - we were told they were out of salads. Policy for the 12 first class seats - 6 salads and 6 chicken dishes. Out of luck! We had cookies for dinner.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by P Duffy    (Canada)

Orlando to Denver to Edmonton - because we had problems printing our boarding passes, we went to airport, and a courteous member of staff printed off our boarding passes for us. Because of that, today, we simply walked to security and went through. We only had 1 carry on bag each, and one pack sack each. The staff announced that we could take our carry on bag, and they put tags on each of them for us, and we dropped them off at the circle, just as you boarded the plane. Our bags went straight through to Edmonton. Due to technical problems we left about 1/2 hour late, but that was ok. Before we got off, the staff read off the gate of connecting flights. That saved everyone a whole lot of time. We made it to our next plane - had about 10 minutes and that plane had to wait for our baggage. There were other passengers in our position also The staff were excellent. No food except to buy, not staff's fault. No TV's, again not staff's fault. The seats were very comfortable.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by L Spencer    (UK)

LHR-SFO-ACV. Flight leaving LHR cancelled, ground staff at Heathrow rude and obstructive, wouldn't confirm flight was cancelled even though I called United direct who confirmed flight cancelled. United app also stated flight cancelled after 90 minute wait in departure lounge. Transfer to Newark flight, which was then delayed leaving Heathrow as SFO passengers transferred onto this flight. Overnight accommodation provided in Newark. Return flight from SFO-LHR all London based crew, utterly rude and disinterested in the role that they are paid for. 7th flight this year with United, only airline that gets me to my final destination. Crew rude when I walked to the back galley to purchase duty free, told me it was the busiest hour of the flight as were serving breakfast before landing at Heathrow, I only went direct to the galley as message on screen advised 15 minutes remaining to buy duty free. Crew member told me she hated that message and that she would have to come and have a private word with me for purchasing duty free. Flight already booked for Feb 2015, luckily booked with flight miles so know not to expect a great service.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by S Winer    (USA)

Fly the Friendly Skies of United? There's very little that's friendly about United, they have become an airline of lesser quality than the budget airlines of the world. Connecting business class flight from Auckland to San Francisco via LA. The first leg was non-stop on Air New Zealand which was excellent and connected in LA to a business class flight to SFO. When we presented our ticket at the United lounge in LA we were refused entry because it was a business class "domestic" flight but were offered entry as a guest of another person we had met on our flight from NZ. Sadly, the lounge was a worn out mess, nothing more than crackers and cheese slices in packets, Internet access that was just a bit faster than the old dial up connections - nothing like any of the lounges offered by carriers we had flown elsewhere in the world. On the tired, worn plane a minimal offer of chips or cookies and beverages. The worst part is that the personnel seemed tired of being caught between management decisions that have reduced the quality of service to nothing more than a poor commodity and travelers that resent the carrier.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by D Arnold    (USA)

Flew IAH-HNL-IAH in First Class on November 20- 24. I have flown this route several times in the last 15 years and since United took over, the flying experience has taken a serious nose dive. Since this route is taken by people mostly cashing in frequent flyer miles and there are not that many "paying" passengers, United has decided that we do not deserve the amenities that are available on other routes. The first class cabin seats are very uncomfortable and are nowhere near the first class seats of other carriers for long haul flights. The plane had no inflight entertainment and there was not any power ports for charging personal devices - and this was not just first class but the entire plane. If there was another direct flight to Hawaii from Houston on another carrier I would take it. Flying to Hawaii on Continental was a fairly good experience, the food was good and the seats were comfortable even though they did not fully recline.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by Jerry Freeman    (USA)

Booked flight from Newark to St Maarten months in advance - booked an aisle seat and a ctr seat together, United changed our seats to a window in next to last row and a window in the last row with seats that don't recline. Also paid for TV and only had the choice of 4 movies-no TV shows - no free snacks. We will do our best to avoid United airlines in the future!

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

Was happy with the service in First Class on this quick flight from LA to Houston on United's 737-900. Seat was comfy and the food satisfactory. Nothing outstanding but good enough.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Jorge Sanchez    (USA)

I flew with United Airlines to save money but it turned out to be a mistake. I was traveling to Guatemala City from Dallas making a connection in Houston. We boarded the plane then shortly after got off due to a maintenance issue. Not once were we asked if we had a connection flight or explained to how they would help us get to our destination nor did they give us any updates. I had to ask what to do. I was supposed to be at my destination at noon. I arrived at 10.30pm. Similar incident on my return - took me all day. Bad experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Gilberto Brambilla    (UK)

PVG-LAX and IAH-LHR. Both flights were very comfortable. Seat and food is good. The only issue with the dreamliner (787) is the lack of proper window blinds. On the flight Shanghai-Los Angeles I was near the window facing south, meaning that I always had the sun in front of me. Although the window transparency can be chanced, it cannot be completely darkened, and this is an issue when you want to sleep.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by L Richard    (USA)

Flew United from LAX to IAH non-stop on an aged Boeing 737-700. The flight departed 25 minutes late for no apparent reason (no explanation given). Luggage was still being loaded 25 minutes after scheduled departure. Plenty of people that should have gate-checked luggage were wandering the plane looking for overhead bin space with no help from crew. There was no snack, pay only food options. Nonetheless, the crew was somewhat friendly, passing frequently, even offering warmed up chocolate chip cookies to some of the kids, although some had to share one cookie.

For this 9 hour flight from Houston to Buenos Aires, United uses a very old 767-300 with a 2-1-2 configuration in business class. The seats are the old Continental flat-bed seats which are angled ever-so-slightly towards the window. Although it's a flat bed, the bed is very narrow and at my 190cm I could not stretch out. Felt like sleeping in a coffin! Also, when you have to go to the bathroom, it's quite the operation to step over your neighbour without waking them up. The service and food were OK although the plastic champagne flutes and the character-less dull white dinnerware could be improved upon.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

GIG-IAH-NRT. I succeeded in sending my luggage directly to NRT. No need to pick it up at IAH and then check it again. Flight 1: GIG check-in staff very nice. Lounge (GOL low cost) very poor and packed. Flat seat 9D, very nice. This part of Business class is much more noisy, because close to engines. To be avoided at all costs. FA's very pleasant and smiling. Decent food. Poor drinks. Smooth 9 hours flight, with constant info form flight deck. Surprising wide choice of IFE On time. Had to go through immigration and security in IAH. Lounge staff very pleasant. Food awful. Alcoholic beverages charged (>US10,00 a glass). Fantastic shower, and shower staff. Flight 2: Seat 1L. The best seat on board, much more space, 3 windows, Silent. Same aircraft by coincidence. FA rather unpleasant and rude. Take it or leave it. Very bad food. Horrible Champagne. A nice white Bourgogne that ended after 30 min. At 11.50am lunch was completed, then, believe it or not, no food during the next 12 hours! A tray with 2 types of frozen sandwiches was available, in a corner, self service. United is saving money on a 14 hour flight on food? One hour before landing greasy breakfast. Luggage quickly delivered.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by C Charmaine    (USA)

I may be done with United. Have had gold or platinum status for years but am getting increasingly concerned with linking flying to shopping and spending more money. As much as I hate to give up the three bags, the comfortable lounges in airports, it is becoming too stressful to keep up. I have almost lost respect for the airlines. Shop till you drop seems to be the key here. We are losing miles, we have to spend more, shop more, buy the credit card. No other alliance does what United does.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by K Chharath    (USA)

First off, let me preface that I am not a frequent flyer so I tend to give airlines the benefit of the doubt if there is ever any problems. In the past 6 months, I have flown two round trips with United, one was non-stop and the other had 1 connecting flight. Every single one of those flights were delayed by an average of 2 hours. I would understand if there were weather conditions that cannot be foreseen but all the delays happened in Florida and California, both of which had great weather. I even signed up for text alerts to get notified of these things and my alerts either came in an hour before the scheduled departure flights or never came I'm at all. That defeats the purpose of the alerts because you should to be at the airport about 2 hours prior to your flight. When I went to ask the staff at the counter at the airport, they all seemed clueless and was not able to help me alleviate my concerns at all. Some were even downright rude and short with me. These inconveniences have almost cost me to be stranded at the airport because those my friends and family were not able to pick me up. I am more than furious at the less than poor customer service that United has to offer. I've spent hundreds, probably even thousand, of dollars to travel with this airline but I've failed to receive the proper service and professionalism from their staff and company overall. It is sad to say but I will not be flying with United Airlines anytime again soon. I would rather pay a bit more for other airlines just to ensure that I will receive the kind of service that I should be receiving as a customer.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Rick Field    (USA)

United 1064 on November 25 from Newark to Boston. I think United must go out of their way to design a seat as pathetic as is in row 32 on their 737-700. These are narrow, don't recline and have no legroom. I travel a lot on business. Luckily I generally have a choice in airlines and I wont be choosing United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by N Leblanc    (Australia)

Flew Business class between Australia and California (Sydney to San Francisco, and LA to Melbourne). It was my first time flying Business class as I normally fly Economy or Premium Economy and as such I was looking forward to it. Overall I was very disappointed: food was average, toilets were dirty and did not appear to have been cleaned, difficult to get the staff's attention, staff not willing to smile even when I was smiling at them, meal service was disjointed (on one flight they offered a bread roll and some wine after I had finished my main course, on the other flight they took my glass away for a refill and didn't bring it back), and the staff kept on bumping me when they walked past. The only good thing was the beds lie flat, but otherwise I was very disappointed and I found that the Premium Economy on other airlines is much better (such as Qantas, Virgin or Singapore). I will not waste my money on United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by N Kapur    (USA)

I took a United flight from GRU (Sao Paulo) - IAD (Washington DC) in Business First. When I first came to the airport I saw the flight would be delayed for 5-10 minutes. The flight time was originally 12.05 am but because of the delay it was supposed to depart at 12.15 am. So it was ok. But then after I board, the flight does not leave until 12.40 am because they were waiting for passengers to board so obviously some passengers were late. In Air, the flight crew was nice but they seemed like old United flight attendants to me. So they seemed a little cold to me. But the flight was good and I slept for 4 hours out of the 8 hours. I was glad the flight attendants gave my son the executive dining with out him asking. But the flight entertainment was ok. So it was an ok flight and it was better than the average United flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Richard Dorn    (USA)

I did my first transatlantic travel with UA premium economy on 11/15/2014 IAH-MUC, 767-400ER. Plane was clean, entertainment systems fully functioning, great service onboard. Food was a bit underwhelming, but it's economy so not much can be added there. Beverage carts made fairly frequent trips. Crew did a good job.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by D Wilson    (Canada)

Don't pay extra for business on United. We just flew United from Vancouver to Oahu, via San Francisco and are now on our way back. We paid the extra for business class - the "breakfast" on our first flight consisted of a scone. On a 6 am flight you don't exactly have a chance to grab a bite before departure. There was WiFi on this flight and it had personal TVs, which are better than nothing, but not quite up to what we are used to with Air Canada. We barely made our connection in SFO - our bags were not so lucky. The next flight had personal TVs, but no Wifi. The latter would have been really useful on the long flight. At least we finally got breakfast. The flight crew was inattentive on both flights. On the way home the long haul flight back to the mainland did not have personal TVs or overhead screens but it had WiFi! That was great for as long as my laptop battery lasted but alas, the old seats had no power outlets or USBs so my joy was short-lived. Both of our seats were not capable of staying in the upright position and would slowly recline. We chose United over Air Canada as we didn't want an overnight flight home. Next time we will go direct with WestJet and cram into their tiny seats in exchange for a direct flight that operates at a convenient time. We wish Air Canada would put back their daytime flight home. In summary - service and amenities on United are inconsistent even in United First. Even when they are at the top of their game, it's all pretty marginal.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by C Piszczek    (USA)

Horrible customer service at SFO. United flight was delayed into SFO from Vancouver so I missed my connecting flight to San Diego. We got into SFO at 11.50. I am still waiting in line with similar stranded passengers at the customer service area at gate 82 where there are two attendants helping 100 plus people. The attendants at the gates will not help us even though there is no line. This is deplorable. SFO is a United hub. There are United employees and gate attendants everywhere and yet there are only two people willing to help all these stranded passengers. I have been stranded many times with many other airlines and have never had such poor service. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Watson Liz    (Australia)

I travelled with United for the first time last week. I was travelling business class and was a little apprehensive. The staff were fantastic, very friendly and welcoming. The food was also very good - on both legs (from Melbourne to LAX). The flat beds extremely comfortable with very soft pillows. Not as many frills and extras as other airlines business class but if you can afford this for a long haul flight - the legroom and ability to stretch and sleep is worth it.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

Last week flew ORD-IAH-TYR/SHV-IAH-FLL-IAH-ORD in a mix of 737-900 (updated interior - great), EMB-135, and A319. All mainline jets were in Econ Plus or Emergency Row so leg-room was great. Most flights on-time and service was good. It's so hit and miss with UA as one flight had great service and the next mainline flight was bitter flight attendants. Regional flights were good - flight attendants had personality and very friendly service. Entertainment on some flights and others nothing but a shared screen with a movie released a year ago. Other than the IAH-ORD flight all on-time. Fare was decent so overall a good trip. With UA's new requirements for miles flown and price paid, I won't get Gold Status next year and that will reduce my flying with them more than this year.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Desmond O'Neill    (Ireland)

BOS-LAX, Boeing 757: Had booked Premium Economy for two people 6 months ahead, arrived at check-in in BOS to be told by unhelpful and off-hand staff that 'booking not assured until you check-in', allocated economy for the 6 hour flight and money refunded. Excuse of 'change of equipment' from A319 to 757 not tenable as latter has even more Premium Economy seats. On arriving at gate discover that Premium Economy seats are available but now have to pay an extra $36! Customer service in United completely unrepentant of being asked to pay extra for the distress. Actual seats fine but would not recommend using United for Premium Economy on the basis of this experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Raymond Pratt    (USA)

HKG-SFO. I've always loved the 747 for its speed and comfort. Nevertheless, a 12 hour flight is always a daunting experience but I am happy to say that this flight was wonderful. The multinational staff exceeded themselves and the food was of a standard I was not expecting. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the flight, I even got 6 hours sleep too. Good job United and thank you for the pleasurable experience!

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by C Samuel    (Thailand)

IAD-LAX. Paid full fare First Class only to be shocked upon check in at IAD airport that my selected seat was not confirmed. Though UA ground staff at check in counter were quite helpful, they couldn't do anything except asking me to go to boarding gate and wait the problem to be resolved there. I was told UA does overbooking in all classes. I was looking forward to this flight enroute in First Class as I was connecting to BKK hence I wanted to relax. Alas I wasn't able to relax as I had to ask UA team for every 10 minutes for an update. Finally after a long argument with the gate staff I was given a a First Class seat by an arrogant lady who made one feel that she did me a great favor although it was within my right. Nothing special on this full B737-800 flight. Seat was ok with in-seat video but can't recline much. Having been at Jetblue Mint previously ones can't help but compare the value vs benefits.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Saketh Rahm    (USA)

Just flew DEN-LAX-MEL and return SYD-LAX-DEN. I was apprehensive about spending 16+ hours with United internationally as I avoid US carriers for long flights due to overall poor service, I was however pleasantly surprised. All flights left on time with early arrivals. Outbound flight was on new 787-9, aircraft was great and seats in Business very comfortable. Entertainment with wide variety and crew were splendid on this run (old CO crew)- very chatty and went above and beyond for passengers. Return flight the same though crew a little older/colder (UA crew). 777 on return was 2-4-2 in Business which is a little ridiculous but seats were all fully flat. Where United is not up to par is inflight catering- food almost inedible on both routes- wines good though.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by E Hernandez    (USA)

EWR-MEX-EWR. Flights operated with early arrival in both directions. Super friendly on-board staff and top-notch gate people who are all an asset to the United team at both the EWR and MEX stations. The in-seat TV ads come on to annoy you, even if you've turned the TV off. I felt like they should be paying me for constantly having to turn it off.