United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Linda Bunting-Blake    (USA)

Our trip from Quito, Ecuador to Lincoln, Nebraska was supposed to take 12 hours, but included a four hour delay in Houston and a 9.5 hour delay in Denver. Weather was not the problem. United should have re-booked us when their mechanical failure and four hour delay was apparent in Houston. Ours was a 26 hour ordeal, with many of those hours standing in line waiting for service and that was completely avoidable. What did they offer? A $7 food voucher.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S McMillan    (USA)

SFO-CDG-SFO. Over the past couple of years, I have had the opportunity to travel internationally on both United and several foreign carriers. United's First Class or Business First Class service and amenities are no better than those in economy on the foreign carriers. Outbound we didn't get drinks prior to take off as the flight attendants were spending way too much time chatting with the other passengers. The meals were satisfactory, though I am getting a bit bored with the ice cream sundae. The inflight entertainment worked well, though it would have been nice to have different choices on the return flight. The only thing United's front cabin had going for it was more comfortable seats than in the back of the plane, however, even that comes with a "but". On the 767, the pods next to the window have very limited room for your feet when in the flat position. The aisle seats do seem to have more room. I travel weekly for work, so I will continue to fly United, but if I were a leisure traveler without frequent flyer status, I would choose another airline. (United treats it leisure passengers very poorly - they board last, often have no bin space, and are generally treated shabbily.) United barely lives up to its three star rating.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Nick Roberts    (Australia)

Flew from Los Angeles to London. All alcoholic drinks are charged. This is a first for me on an international flight that isn't a budget airline. The drinks service took twice as long as normal due to the charging process. Staff were clearly embarrassed by the policy and apologized for it. Will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by E Ramesh    (USA)

I have flown this airline (on the way to Ukraine) twice in the past. This time I flew to Frankfurt, Germany. Each time has been progressively worse. Every flight was delayed, beginning with my flight out of Huntsville, and on each connecting flight. One time they said it was some latch was broken or something to do with the luggage conveyor belt to load the suitcases into the airplane. Another time someone forgot to turn the AC on in the airplane and it was 90 degrees inside (it was a hot day). Each delay was at least an hour. The flight attendants were rude, and quick tempered. They snapped at myself and other passengers I observed on more than one occasion. They seemed to always be in a rush, and as I was sitting in an aisle seat I was rudely bumped into by one of them as they flew by. No apologies were made. Oh, and the service was usually late and the food was of questionable quality as well. In short, it was such a miserable experience it almost made my trip to Germany not worth it. The seats on the 747 were so jam packed together I always felt squashed into the neighboring passenger. Their computers were broken at the airport and so there was another half hour delay, getting through customs was horrible enough on my return trip but dealing with United's mess was just reprehensible.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Maria Gonzalez    (USA)

Sheer incompetence to deal with cancellations. First, they do not communicate them. Secondly, the staff are rude and never apologizes for the inconvenience caused. Thirdly, they are unable to get you onto other flights in a timely manner. How is my experience? I haven't been able to start my trip yet. A 48 hour delay so far. Two trips to the airport. Two hours on the phone. And six hours waiting in line to get a new flight, plus two more to get the luggage that had already been checked in. I am trying to go on a vacation of seven days that has already been reduced to five, after having paid over $3,000. I am a seasoned air traveler, and have had many flights cancelled in my life. But I have never come across such incompetence and rudeness. Never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by J Young    (UK)

Travelled with United on 6 flights from 23/05/2014-08/06/2014, Heathrow to Las Vegas to Hawaii and back. On the 6 flights we were only fed two meals from Heathrow to Houston and Washington to Heathrow. We queried this with the customer services and were told in Washington that they do supply food on interior (domestic) flights, shame we were not informed of this before we flew with them. We changed our flight from Newark, New York when we arrived at Heathrow at the start of our holiday because they asked us if we would, obviously New York was overbooked which resulted in us missing our connection to Las Vegas. They were unhelpful at Houston and put us on Standby. We thought the cabin crew were scruffy, unhelpful and lazy. I asked for a small bottle of water to be told that they did not have enough so could not give me one. They did serve enough drinks on the flights so what were they doing. I will never fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Cleeren Patrice    (Belgium)

We flew from IAD to BRU with United. (Boeing 777). Very nice cabin crew, normal catering, good flight. Flight was delayed but we got good information from the flight deck.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by A Reynolds    (UK)

We took a business class flight from London Heathrow to Houston Bush, round trip. On the flight to Houston, the video screen at my seat, my wife's seat and several other seats did not work at all. The flight crew tried to fix it but couldn't. They promised to have someone contact us for some credit. Never heard from them. On the return flight, the seat would not recline, the movies continuously skipped, there was no music available, and the food was awful. Flight crew tried to fix it. No luck. Flying BA from now on.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Doldon Mark    (Canada)

Very poor quality service. Lack of in seat entertainment on 5 hour flights, even in Business class, is simply unacceptable in this day and age. I was also refused access to a lounge, on an international business class seat, because my son, in a wheelchair, was flying economy on a school trip. Basic customer service would have seen the airline allow us to enter the lounge.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S Latimer    (USA)

Why is it that United is the only airline that cancelled a flight from Denver to Omaha due to weather but all the other airlines going to and from Denver only delayed? Of course, because we are having poor weather they can blame it on the weather which means as a customer we cannot recoup anything from them and we have to then wait until a pm flight when we are scheduled on the first flight out of OMA. I wonder how many times this airplane has been cancelled in the last couple of weeks, it sounds as if this airlines has an issue with mechanical problems and only wants to bandaid the problem. I am all for a company making money but not at the expense of the customers who are paying their bills!

United Airlines Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Firman Hadi    (Indonesia)

Flying EWR-NRT with Flight UA 79. Boeing 777. Punishing 14-hr flight in cramped seating condition. Everything about this plane is run down, from seating to carpeting. Food is terrible and served in plastic tray covered with ripped aluminium foils. Breads are served out of bundles of plastic bags instead of bread baskets. What are we in jail? Ridiculous!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by W Shandera    (USA)

IAH-PTY and reverse. Pleasant staff, decent food, plane rather small for business class, no musical options in entertainment system.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by Robert Redfern    (USA)

We flew from SFO to FRA and returned from OSL to SFO on UA. The service for these international flights was good, the cabin staff helpful and professional, and the flights on time. The seats in cheap economy were extremely cramped and offer little hope of rest. The flight over had a large contingent of passengers from the Indian subcontinent who did not take the hint to settle down and rest when the crew turned down the lights, and yakked the night away, oblivious to requests to quiet down. Not UA's fault, but they could have been a bit more pro- active to settle these people back into their seats for the long flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 June 2014 by J McCormick    (Taiwan)

TPE-SFO-TPE. Economy Plus. B-777 aircraft. United has become a very average airline. Economy"plus" seats are really not much better than normal economy, especially if you can get regular economy seats near exits or bulkheads. Food was mediocre. Flight attendants were considerably older than other airlines and seemed to be worn out, as evidenced by their indifferent and even sarcastic attitudes. Compare them to All Nippon, for example, where the attendants are super friendly and bend over backwards for passengers. The return leg was late out of SFO by about 90 minutes. The one saving grace for this United flight was the price which was significantly lower than other TPE-SFO non stops. So I guess you get what you pay for. Recommended for price, but if you can afford it, any of the Asian airlines offer better service.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by L Veal    (USA)

I recently flew in the first class section of a United Airlines 757 from Orlando to Dulles (about a 2 hour flight). The only things to like is that I arrived promptly on schedule, and my seat was larger than a coach seat. Otherwise, there is absolutely no reason to fly first class on United domestically. I asked for a blanket, and was told after some time that "the supervisor said we don't stock blankets on flights from Florida". Then, less than 1 minute later, a different flight attendant brought a large clear plastic bag full of blankets onto the plane and put them into a closet in first class! I'd just left Disney World and the contrast of the Disney quality of service versus United's was stark. I began to wonder if the safety and evacuation training for United employees is better than their customer service training, otherwise you better hope you never need them!

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by John Tegel    (Canada)

YYC-IAH-MUC in Y. As an Aeroplan Elite, I got premier access check in and boarding which was greatly appreciated. I also like that United seems to be making an effort to control oversized carry-ons. As a result, both flights, even the full flight to Munich, left with all bags in the cabin. Planes were comfortable and clean (A320 and 764), with adequate room for my 5'8" self. Crews were generally fantastic, a real surprise given United's reputation. I like United's boarding structure, as it prevents a mad dash to board and worked very well, making boarding easy and comfortable. Only gripe is food on 10 hour IAH-MUC flight- small dinner and then before landing, a mini croissant and small fruit cup- This is what I usually get on YYZ-MUC, but that is a 7 hour flight. I expected more on this longer route, and can imagine that some larger passengers were quite hungry! Connection in IAH was also very easy, no security screening required, no bus or train either, even though I had to change terminals. Very impressed!

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Annette Nyst    (Australia)

What a shame a wonderful Airline like Air New Zealand code shares with United Airlines. After a wonderful flight with Air New Zealand from Australia we then flew business with United within the United States. The 6 hour flight between New York and Los Angeles was a nightmare. From the small old plane to the noise from where the stewards were working( they couldn't help the noise as the work area is so small). Not to mention the very small unclean toilet. None of United earphones seem to work (I now know why most people on the flight had their own). The whole flight was a nightmare. I will never fly United again or recommend them.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 June 2014 by G Howell    (USA)

Our connection in San Francisco got cancelled due to aircraft maintenance. This was in the very early morning so there were no additional flights available for 5+ hours. After some research of the flight number that got cancelled, this flight had been cancelled 2 additional times in the previous 3 weeks. That's one cancellation per week for this one aircraft. After we made it from San Francisco to LA for our re-route, the LA flight was delayed an hour due to late aircraft arrival. Once we boarded, we waited on the plane for 1 hour after everyone was boarded and settled in. Pilot originally said it was due to weather and admitted it was due to "paper-work" before takeoff. Unbelievable. We landed 8 hours after the original time we were told. United uses primarily outdated planes with no on-demand in-flight entertainment. When they do offer their on-demand entertainment like Live DirecTV, it costs money. Long flights (7+) could offer good personal TVs but that is rare. Wifi is unheard of, my flight months ago was promised wifi but once boarded they claimed the original plane had to be switched so no wifi. Customer service is atrocious also. We were offered $7 each for food at the airport we had to wait at, but that's it. I know a friend who had two flights cancelled in the same night due to airline problems. As a MileagePlus cardholder, much more is expected. When we tried to get upgraded on our re-routed flights, the guy said "Oh, this is a mileage flight". This is the worst American airline aside from Spirit Airlines. Fly JetBlue or Virgin America if possible.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by A Hanafi    (Canada)

I'm satisfied with my first couple of flights with United, May-June 2014. I flew transatlantic, EWR-Zurich and LHR T2-EWR, I tried outbound on a premium plus seat for 125$ add on, pretty comfortable. I'm only disappointed because I did not receive my special meal as requested, the air hostess asked me to confirm with United's customer service centre next time. Otherwise arrived on time, clean, comfortable although too cold cabin. Good entertainment. I'm giving United also a good satisfaction rate because of 100% mileage earned on my loyalty program of another Star Alliance member.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by M Ferguson    (UK)

I was surprised at such a pleasant experience. We flew two US internal flights. The first was on time, the second twenty mins late due to a minor technical fault. We were impressed with the monitors in the gate area showing available seating on the aircraft and probable departure time. We had no problem with carry on baggage. On the first flight people who had not checked in bigger bags were given labels, and picked up their bags when they got off the plane. Plane was clean, staff friendly, coffee OK, and the seat comfort was OK. No complaints - and I have to say I have suffered a lot worse.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by D Finden    (USA)

AMS-ORD, 11 Jul. I had a most wonderful flight on United from Amsterdam to Chicago. The flight attendants were warm and made the experience one to remember. The flight departed and arrived on time. The new business class seats are great, though I did not try the lie-flat option. I was in the pair next to the galley - fair warning, the freezer compartment is next to the aisle seat and does make noise - need to wear your headphones. Food was great - had Thai chicken for main. However, to repeat, it was the flight attendants that made this flight one of the best I have experienced.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by T Halsey    (USA)

This has been the worst travel experience I have had. My original flight was cancelled, I was not informed of this until I arrived at the airport. This should be standard protocol to notify passengers that the flight is cancelled. On top of that the customer service is atrocious. As I was reasonably upset and asking customer service to find me another flight she tells me that the next flight to my destination is boarding now, but you cannot get on it. They put me on a connecting flight to Chicago, 4 hours later. 4 hours later all Chicago flights were delayed another 2 hours. Meanwhile flights are boarding all around me. I strongly advise you to stay as far away as possible from United.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by W Joseph    (USA)

Leaving Newark yesterday, the gate agent announced that "all overhead bin room was full" as boarding group 4 (out of 5) was beginning to board. They forced gate check of all carry-on bags for all the remaining passengers. On boarding, there were tons of open overhead bins with room remaining, including one right at my seat! Many people complained - the kind cabin steward explained that "sometimes they just start gate checking toward the end because the bins are usually full at that point". My bag was taken right outside the airplane door - the agent could have actually asked the first class cabin steward ten feet away, if their walkie-talkies don't work. They added 30 minutes delay at the destination waiting for luggage unnecessarily for all those people? Why are advertising that we are allowed "one carry-on bag and one personal item", and flying planes that do not have enough space for them? On my last United flight, they made me check my carry-on bag because it didn't easily slide into their sizer, though it would have with a push, and would easily fit overhead. United has adopted a new policy and attitude about baggage that is Draconian - they should be ashamed. I will not fly United even though they have the only non-stop flights to my most frequent destination.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 June 2014 by James Wallace    (USA)

Quebec City to Newark on a regional jet. When I checked in at the airport, I was told the flight was delayed 2.5 hours due to Newark traffic problems. There is no Star Alliance lounge at the airport. Listening to podcasts on my computer, I heard a boarding call after only a one hour delay. After boarding the plane, the captain said he was expected a smooth flight. The fasten seatbelt sign was never turned off during the smooth flight which makes one wonder if they ever turn off the fasten seatbelt sign on this flight. Customs and Immigration were done in Newark, unlike other Canadian airports.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Charles Kennedy    (UK)

TXL-EWR-LAX in Y. Had wanted to take the 757 flight from Berlin to Newark since the route was opened up by Continental. Since the merger between the two airlines is far from complete, I knew the crew would all be Continental and knowing how poorly the new United is perceived not just by customers but staff too, the old- fashioned Continental Airlines flight bag I hauled out of the back of my closet scored me a glass of champagne as I passed through the forward galley en route to my economy seat. Left on time, catering was decent (one area the new United hasn't yet cut to the bone) although movie choices were limited to new releases, so I read my book and did some work. Immigration at Newark was relatively painless due to the early scheduled arrival time of 1200, beating the afternoon rush. Short visit to the United Club which is comfortable although the snack options are awful. For the second leg to Los Angeles found myself back at the gate I'd arrived at. Some infrequent fliers consider narrowbody hardware unsuitable for long haul as it is “cramped” or “claustrophic, take it from someone who flew on the same 757 all the way from Berlin to LA, the size of the seat is the same as the biggest planes (except 10-abreast 777s, where it is considerably narrower) and the smaller numbers at boarding, baggage claim and immigration mean small is beautiful. The second leg to California was quite decent, enjoyed a chicken-and-blue- cheese wrap for sale and the view of the North American continent unfolding beneath our wing. Arrival into LAX was on-time and baggage delivery was prompt. No complaints – this time.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by M Ferguson    (UK)

I read the reviews of this airline and was terrified. However, we flew San Antonio to Dulles and Dulles to Boston and we were impressed. OK so the leg room is not fantastic, but its better than many. The plane was reasonably clean, the staff friendly, and the coffee drinkable. Furthermore the flight to Dulles was on time. The Boston one left about 20 mins late due to an error light re the toilet showing in the cockpit, but again the plane was clean and the staff friendly and efficient. No complaints.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Raymond Miller    (USA)

My family and I flew United to Mexico for a wedding. We were scheduled to return to the United States on Monday 5/9/2014. Our scheduled flight was delayed 3.5 hours due to weather in Texas. This was understandable. The rest of this journey was not. In Mexico we were switched from our connecting flight due to the scheduled departure time. The flight we were switched to departed prior to our arrival at the Houston Airport. My family, along with several others in our same situation then attempted to obtain another flight. The United personnel at the Houston Airport were very rude and not at all helpful. We spent over 16 hours in the airport with no blankets, pillows or cots. I will never again fly United. The delays were one thing, but the attitude of the employees was completely unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 June 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

F class, KOA-LAX. A warm crew was the bright spot in an extremely inferior product. Small tray with all courses at the same time followed by a cookie in a paper bag. For a 5 hour flight this is ridiculous. Hawaii routes are served with the oldest run down aircraft. Leg room is adequate but entertainment option is pathetic. For first class Hawaiian is the only way to go. United is just sad.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by Steve Rabin    (USA)

UA1284, EWR-SFO, 14 May 2014. No IFE or WiFi on a transcon? That's what I found when flying on brand new 737-900.  I've flown UA's older -900s and they have DirecTV-okay, you have to pay for it, but it's still better than nothing. The flight itself was pleasant, the new seats reasonably comfortable. One thing I've always liked about UA is that at least one flight attendant comes out every 30 minutes or so and has cups of water or the beverage cart coming around. But no entertainment? I could have flown Southwest, they don't claim to have IFE on their flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 June 2014 by S Wahl    (USA)

The relatively short commute between Durango, CO and Cleveland, OH was the worst trip I have experienced. I have never had any trip, since the inception of Denver International Airport, that has gone without an aircraft maintenance problem. This recent trip held me hostage on a small aircraft and at the airport for 8 hours. I have never seen such an appalling record of mechanical breakdowns as I've seen with aircraft at Denver's airport. Both the departure and return trips were plagued with mechanical problems. The return trip was on board an aircraft meant for short duration flights of less than 1 hour, and was used for a trip spanning over 3 hours. When we were supposed to circle the airport for a short period of time, we had to divert to Cheyenne, WY to refuel. The plane was too small to carry the necessary amount of fuel. As a result, I missed my connection and waited 7 hours before taking off to my final destination. On the outbound trip, we had to return to DIA due to a mechanical failure of an engine. We had already flown 45 minutes, and instead of landing in an airport we were close to, we had to fly back 45 minutes, wait for another plane, and take off in the middle of the night. We landed at 12.45 am. I have flown from different cities (Manhattan, KS and Albuquerque, NM) to Alaska three times, and not once did I experience any problems with aircraft. The main difference was that none of these trips included United Airlines and Denver International Airport.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Pipitone Nicolo    (Italy)

Washington Dulles to San Diego Intl Airport. Flight UA1512. October 25th 2013. The worst experience I have had with ground staff - unhelpful, difficult to reach. Flight OK but I would not recommend this airline to anyone and I certainly will not fly UA again.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by D Prentice    (UK)

LHR-IAH-CUN-IAH-LHR. Flew United Airlines, they upgraded me to Economy Plus for free due to my disability. I enjoyed my flight. Staff really helpful. Food was alright.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by K Hammer    (USA)

First flight was cancelled, never got any notification that our flight was rescheduled for the following day. Got to the airport they representatives re re-routing the flights were not nice at all. I couldn't believe that there was no discount or free bag check offered. I will never fly united again, worst customer service. We were suppose to be in Vegas by 3pm that day. We did not arrive until 3am the next day.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 June 2014 by Khawla Amin    (Qatar)

This was my first and hopefully last time on a US airline. The short 45 minute flight from Dubai to Doha was an ordeal. Draconian security for this flight only, terrible old plane, unkempt rude flight staff, a 2 hour delay with no apologies. Some Americans might rate United Airlines highly maybe because they are used to the generally low quality of most if not all airlines in the United States, but for someone used to the superior services of Qatar, Emirates, Etihad etc, this proved to be a really bad experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Clark    (USA)

ORD-DCA, and BWI-ORD. Overall the experience was very good. All flights departed and arrived on time, and all employees were friendly. The trip was through a tour, so the price or value cannot be determined. Security on Monday at O'Hare was very crowded, so be sure to allot enough time. Boarding was organized, and most bags were checked at the gate because the overhead bins would have been to crowded. The seats on board were very comfortable, and recline was decent. The plane was an A319 that has not been reconfigured with the slimline seating. Crew was very nice and efficient, and Inwas given an entire can of apple juice. We arrived at National Airport on time, and the bags were very fast to come off of the carousel. The airport is very convenient to access downtown DC. Return was at BWI, which is only 20 miles outside DC, however traffic was a nightmare and it took almost an hour to get there. Gate agents at the airport were very friendly and efficient. Security is very smooth here, and the airport is overall pleasant. Boarding was quick, and the flight was operated by a 737-900ER. The seats were comfortable, and no one bought the direct TV. Recline wasn't much which made sleeping difficult, but I was not in economy plus. The crew on board were nice, but not as good as others. The flight arrived on time, and bags were quick to come out of the carousel. United seems like they are beginning to overcome merger issues now.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 June 2014 by A Clark    (USA)

April 26, FLL-CLE. My friend flew with miles, and I flew for $400. Not bad considering that it was booked 3 weeks in advance, and during a popular travel time. Check in crew and gate agents at FLL are outstanding. So friendly and willing to help out. The check in crew were smiling and friendly, and helped out with checked bag issue. The gate agent was the best I've seen. She was so helpful to the passengers in wheelchairs, and kept everyone fully informed. The crew onboard were friendly, and very attentive. Always asking customers if everything was ok, and picked up trash frequently. Somehow the flight departed 40 minutes late, due to there being only one operational runway in FLL. We didn't hear the captain inform us about it, or speak once during the flight. The flight was completely full. The flight was on a A320 with the new slimline seats. The legroom was adequate for my height of 5' 10" however the seat was very hard, and didn't recline very far. I purchased the wifi, and for $5 was a great deal. No music or overhead screens on this plane. Connection through Cleveland was very easy, and the airport was very easy to connect through. Flight from CLE to ORD was 60% full and had another great crew. They were very enthusiastic. The flight was operated by a 737-700 with very comfortable seats. Not one person on board purchased the over priced direct TV. Flight arrived on time, bags quickly arrived at carousel. Overall, United was decent. A bit overpriced, but was on time with friendly service.