United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

Read United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines customer trip Reports

United Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by D Skees    (Australia)

Flew United SYD-SFO in Economy Plus. Paid $200 for exit row seat, so unlimited legroom. Staff business like but not rude. Soft drinks offered soon after takeoff. Dinner was basic but that was actually welcome - steamed chicken, 4 slightly shrivelled chips, veg, tiny Apple pie, drinks offered again. Water was offered twice during overnight and a midnight ham roll and Tim Tam for those awake. Breakfast was omelette and barely recognisable sausage. IFE was shared screens, but I used iPad. Overall, not as unpleasant as I had feared.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Eve Law    (USA)

Flight from Midland to Salt Lake City was great. Both planes were small but that was fine. The crew were great and the reason I purchased the tickets was because it was the fastest flight. The layover was short and it was easy to find my next gate. We left and arrived on time. On my way back however, totally different! I had a 6.20 flight and arrived at the airport at 4.30. The line for United Airlines was so long, it extended the length of the terminal and out of the door. I stood in line for 1 hour and 20 minutes! No information given and the line did not move very quickly at all. Finally at 6 am, a woman working for United started walking down the line asking if anyone was going on the 6.20 flight to IAH. Over 30 people left the line to stand in yet another line for an additional 10 minutes. No explanation was offered, no apologies given. We were rushed through first class passenger line of security and I boarded the plane at 6:15 am. The plane was half full because everyone was still waiting in line. Our flight left at 6.45 because we had to wait on all the other passengers. The pilot did his best to make up time in the air and I made in time to make my connecting flight. I still have no idea what happened in SLC, it seemed to me like a lot of laziness and poor customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Gibson Ken    (UK)

Flew Dublin - Newark - Washington Dulles on 6th March on a B757 and then a D8. The cross Atlantic flight was fine, on time, reasonable seat, good choice of movies etc. but the food was very poor - potatoes hard as was the bread, no choice - it was meat or meat. On the hop from Newark to Dulles I was surprised how noisy it was though I was close to the engines. United seem to call people forward now by group number as printed on there boarding pass as opposed to seat number blocks. Not sure it helps and fail to see the logic of filling from the front back - getting the people at the back in first means less blocked aisles.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by I Ishak    (USA)

It has taken me in excess of an hour to resolve what should be a simple matter on the phone with their customer service, flights are always late (which I understand is not always the airline's fault but most of my late flights result from insufficient crew, which they can do something about). The coach cabin is a mess and even first class, which I usually take, is sub par. Last time I flew first class they gave me a hard time when I asked for milk for my toddler children! Not to mention that they ran out of food. I already had low expectations for them but I did not expect to bring my own food to first class. Avoid at all costs.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by G Nishihira    (USA)

NRT-BKK. Uneventful trip on a route about to be abandoned by United. Surprising considering the 747 was packed to the brim. Boarding was chaotic and those of us in business class had no idea where to line up to board. Nice hard product, but uninspiring service and meal. Overworked flight attendant working business class in the dome got the job done though. Pilot had Channel 9 (air traffic control) activated which is one of the nice features that only United can claim. The RCC lounge at NRT has much to be desired - hands down had the worst cappuccino in my life there.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 March 2014 by L Res    (USA)

Flew from Newark to Denver where United decided without any form of communication to hold 2 of our bags to arrive with the next flight to Denver 3 hours later. After arriving in Denver we waited at the baggage carousel for nearly an hour until we were fully convinced 2 of our bags did not make the flight. Throughout the night we tried calling different customer service numbers of United and could not get a straightforward answer. 20 hours later our bags reached us. On our flight back from Denver to Newark the entire flight was boarded, seat belts fastened, welcomed by the pilot, until another announcement from the pilot came on and I quote "there is a small problem. Should be a quick fix that will take best case 30 minutes". 10 minutes later we are told to deboard the plane because this "quick fix problem" has caused the plane to be completely out of service. As we all deboard, our entire flight is told to go to one customer service desk with 4 representatives. Nearly an hour later we finally get up to the representatives and all I hear is a potential flight to Houston, reboard the out-of-commission plane at 3.30 or wait until tomorrow. Save yourselves the trouble and aggravation and never fly United Airlines!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by Glenn Turnley    (Australia)

LAX-JFK and return. Never flew United previously so after reading many reviews had lowered my expectations. I thought it was pretty good. I paid extra for more legroom which was well worth the money. Cabin crew came through the cabin regularly offering water or juice on the JFK-LAX leg in particular. The seats are more comfortable than Qantas economy, and likewise the entertainment was a bit better also. My biggest complaint is the amount of luggage/baggage United allow passengers to drag onto the plane. If you are Group 5 (aisle seats) and the last to board, all the bins are full of people's stuff from seats away! Even a pre-boarding offer to check wheelie bags for free due to a full flight was met with disinterest. It really is one area needing tightening up.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by S Cooperman    (USA)

Traveling out of New Orleans Louis Armstrong airport for business around 2 pm on 3/5/14. Baggage check was totally disorganized. I was directed to a kiosk by one of the agents then waited 15 minutes after I had checked the bag electronically for someone to come and tag it. When an agent showed up to tag the bag they were clearly not in a hurry. Then my flight was delayed. Maybe there's no rush at check in because United flights are late so often.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by P Thomas    (Austria)

Washington to San Diego and San Francisco to Washington. Old planes, not enough overhead storage for the amount of cabin luggage they allow people to lug in. One stewardess had a shouting discussion about the oncoming superbowl from the front of the plane to row 39. No free food on a 5 hour flight, no drinks except water and fruit juices of doubtful quality. Online entertainment is a joke! Never again!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by F Atkin    (Canada)

Flew UAL 218, first class from HNL-ORD then connected to UAL express ORD-YWG. Service better than expected. 777-200 had recliner seats with no flatbeds for an 8 hour flight. No inflight entertainment as WiFI was not working and the old school entertainment system had already been removed. In-Charge offered all passengers compensation through UA Website. Offer on the web site was $125 off the next UA Flight for US residents or 10% off next UA flight to be used within 1 year for international travellers. Dinner and breakfast were served. Quality of both meals were OK and reminded me of Y class meals from days gone by. Ice cream sundae cart made the rounds after dinner. First Class Attendants ensured beverages were topped up and one FA even made sure water glasses were topped up while passengers slept. Difficult to find a comfortable position to sleep in recliner chairs. However, the ticket price was reasonable for the passenger space offered on the aircraft. For an 8 hour overnight flight, First class should offer flatbeds IMHO. UAL Express connector flight ORD-YWG ran 1 hour late due to off loading of baggage when connecting passengers failed to show. Almost an expected delay on any airline these days.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 March 2014 by G Boothman    (UK)

LHR-IAH-GUA. Prebooked upgrade 3 wks before travel. Check in easy with assistance from staff. Flight left on time and arrived on time in Houston. Flight attendants were friendly and the food was pretty average. You pay for your own alcohol which I don't have a problem with but theirs is expensive. Entertainment selection ok. Prem econ seats offer nothing more than extra legroom, about 4" but was worth it on long haul. Nothing to complain about there and using Houston for transit we were impressed with the speedy immigration channels which took much of the hassle out of using the States. IAH-GUA also on time and again a typical short flight with nothing special but nothing to complain about.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Naomi Riley    (USA)

I used to like flying United, but the last couple of trips have really make me think about other airlines. I had to fly to Honolulu in January to take care of my mom for 2 weeks. They canceled my departing flight. My flight from Houston was delayed 2 hours and there was no personal TV on the flight. Flying home it was the same. I had to return to Honolulu in Feb. The flight to and from had no personal TV. I am not a savy personal and do not have I- pads or any personal electronics (and there were many other people like me on the plane) so using Wi-Fi did us no good. Sitting on the plan for 8 hrs plus with no entertainment really did not go over well.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Robert Martin    (USA)

May 27 through June 10 2014.The customer service for this airline really needs to be greatly improved. I book my flights in advance so I can have what I want and schedule what I am doing when I get there. So to have my flights canceled and rebooked for a flight that doesn't even come close to when my connecting flight leaves the airport is a bit stupid. Now I have to have a longer flight just to get where I want to go by flying in the opposite direction of where I want to go. To top it all off, I wasn't even notified of the change. Now I have to change my plans so I can accommodate the airlines wishes. Next time I think I will book with another company that I have had no problems with.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by L Pulliam    (USA)

LAS-LAX-RNO. One way trip at the last moment due to family matters. Had enough miles in the bank to make this work. The schedule was perfect, albeit a change of planes in LAX, but only a short layover. Took off from Vegas a few minutes late. A short flight from LAS to LAX and the flight attendants passed by twice with beverage service. The plane was comfortable, the flight good and we were in LAX before I knew it. Connecting flight from LAX to RNO was fine. Another short jaunt and again the attendants made two beverage stops. I brought my own food on to the plane so I was good. I know problems can arise that are out of our control, but maybe I am one of the lucky one's. United has always done right by me. I know if I board a plane with a smile and say hello I will get that right back. I don't always expect the flight crew to be lavishing over me in economy by any means. A smile on either end goes a long ways. I have done many short and long hauls with United over the years and only once did I have an issue. United has treated me well and has my business.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 March 2014 by Juan Wayne    (USA)

I've been a United 1K member for 2 years, 7 year Platinum member on Continental prior to the merger of the two airlines. I fly over 100k miles a year on business and used to enjoy flying however over the past 3 years United has been a nightmare to fly and do business with! Loyalty means nothing, customer service is non-existent and upgrades uncommon. Schedules are terrible with multiple connections, expensive tickets and they're flying more and more excruciatingly uncomfortable regional planes! Been flying a different airline starting this year since they offered elite status for flying a few thousand miles during a certain timeline, so far so good!

United Airlines Customer review :  4 March 2014 by Gisele St-Aubin    (Canada)

Hong Kong to Newark on March 1. Flight crew was tired and cranky with bad attitudes across the board. One in- flight announcement was literally a snide "buckle your seat belt, it's bumpy". Where other airlines turn a galley into a quasi-lounge area during such a long flight (15 hours), we were told there was to be no loitering around the galley or toilet areas. I will avoid this airline as much as possible in future. The only positives were the entertainment system and that the flight was on time.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by John Nusbaum    (USA)

My wife and a friend were flying to San Francisco last night and their flight was delayed from 8pm to 9.30pm. When they were finally on board they found that no meals of any kind were available on the 5 hour flight to the destination. My wife was only able to get two small glasses of water and a glass of tomato juice. If this is a sample of the way that United Airlines treats it's passengers these days we won't be booking any travel with them in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Ted Uchacz    (Canada)

United cancelled our flight to Florida about 16 hours prior to our trip. You would think that with 16 hours to work with they could find a way to get a plane to the city I live in. Our travel agent had to scramble to make alternate arrangements with another airline. Now we are going to have to spend over twelve hours travelling and stop at one more airport. I am very angry with United's lack of compassion with our dilemma and diligence at arranging alternate flights to get us to our destination. I will never book with United Airlines again!

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by Barry Vogel    (USA)

EWR to AUA round trip business class. The flights were the flights from hell. The crew was unpleasant. The plane was very old and should have been retired long ago. The food, if you want to call it that, was awful to say the least. I'm easy going and I couldn't find anything positive to say. Save your money and never go UA business class.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 March 2014 by K Castle    (USA)

Traveled to Denver from Rochester, NY on United twice in the past month. Every plane had a mechanical problem resulting in having to re-book multiple flights because of missed connections. In January, I sat on the Tarmac for 3 hours in Rochester because someone had forgotten to drain the water out and it took that long to de-ice. On my return flight from Denver, I had to be re-booked 3 times due to mechanical issues and sat in the airport for 8 hours. The only reason I finally got out was because a connecting flight from Idaho landed too late and they refused to hold the plane. In my most recent flight out of Rochester in February, the altimeter was broken and we waited 6 hours for parts to be flown in from Atlanta. Oh, and - I had paid extra for aisle seats in Economy Plus and ended up in the middle seat in the back of the plane. Now I have to contact Customer Service as no one in the Service Center in the Denver Airport is authorized to do so. I am dreading the return flight home. I will be flying on other carriers from now on.

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax