United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

United Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by J Smith    (USA)

Terrible experience flying UA from SFO to IAD. Very poor customer service all along the continuum. First, my return seat assignment was changed from an aisle to middle seat without my knowledge (no one would correct the error by phone), then there was a 5 hour delay leaving SFO. Upon arrival at IAD we found our luggage had been loaded on a different plane that would not arrive at Dulles for another hour. Because of the 5-hour delay it was almost midnight at this point. The next day we had to go in search of our own luggage at the "lost luggage" distribution center. United Customer service staff was of no help. Talk about the unfriendly skies.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by F Thomas    (USA)

Cheap, cheap, cheap. Golly, how expensive would it be to let people watch the TV news on an all-day plane ride, or allow 'free' Wi-Fi which is free everywhere else in the western world? A few snacks, anything? Had a lovely cheerful flight attendant between San Francisco to Newark, but all the airline nickel-and-diming takes all the fun out of what used to be half the fun: getting there-or back. It's as though they hate their passengers and make the trips as miserable as possible, seats too narrow for a normal rear end, aisles two skeletons could not pass in, no place to put your legs if you have two, seats that recline an inch and a half, charges for even a small bag, everything. Back to cars and trains or staying home, I think, it is just too exhausting and annoying and expensive to fly anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by D Stevens    (USA)

My wife and I flew business/first class on United Airlines from Maui to Denver with a plane change in LAX. Our flight on 2/5/2015 from Maui to LAX was UA417, an ancient 757-200. We paid a total of $4,924.40 for two round trip tickets. Flight 417 was more like riding an old, dusty city bus. Keeping in mind that we were in first class, we were offered only a small bag of potato chips. That was it. We were told that there were no more snacks and we could have only one bag of chips. The flight attendants mainly sat in their jump seats the whole time just chatting or snoozing. The purser was pretty snotty when asked any questions. We had the old style seats that didn't recline much. And, beyond our belief, on the ongoing flight from LAX to DEN we had lay-flat beds. For a flight lasting less than two hours. We sure could have used those lay-flat beds for the over-ocean portion. We've avoided United for several years now, and from now on will continue to avoid them.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by M Formston    (Australia)

Recently flew from Sydney to the US on United and a bunch of internal flights within US and returning home on United. Read a lot of negative reviews about United before I travelled so was a bit sceptical about the whole experience. I'm an average meat and three veg type of guy, if I pay a beer price I don't expect to get Champagne service. Who does? I was more than happy with the service provided given the fares I paid. I recall only once one of the internal flights was delayed and it really wasn't a big deal. I would definitely fly with United again. I really think some people need to get a grip, they want silver service for bargain basement prices. You get what you pay for and I was more than happy with United. No hesitation to fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by B Doshi    (USA)

Travel from Newark to BOM direct and back Delhi to Newark direct. Paid for extra leg room but didn't feel much different. Food leaving Newark was good. On way back from India it was terrible. The veg breakfast was not edible. On return at Newark, they could not unload checked bags for over two hours. Those with connections missed them. No apologies were made or compensation provided. In the future, will prefer any other airline to United and are considering canceling our United credit card. Worst airline in business today.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by M Johnson    (Japan)

Flying UA in F (oxymoron alert) from ORD to NRT. Our 13-hour flight was delayed for three hours after we had boarded because of radio issues. About 30 minutes into the wait they opened up the main door, and with temps outside around zero the F cabin quickly became a freezer. I could actually see the breath of the pax in 4A. The cabin itself was tired and dirty, with tissues stuck between my seat and the wall. The toilet rubbish bin overflowed about halfway through the flight and was never emptied. The toilet seat was filthy by the end of the flight. WiFi was broken. On the bright side, the amenity kit comes with a United-branded ballpoint pen and comb. The food, apart from a cold but well-cooked tenderloin steak, was largely inedible. The “sausage” that came with the dry, crusty omelette was a hard brown puck of mystery meat. Food in ANA Y is far better. There was no wine list, because there were only four mediocre wines and some cheap sparkling in 375ml bottles. Service was not rude for the most part, but below economy standards on any Asian carrier. I had to wait 10 minutes to get a cup of dishwater coffee. When the woman seated next to me asked what the squid sushi was, the FA replied (with a smile, to be fair), “Don't ask me, I don't make it.”The shoulder harness that F pax are required to wear on takeoff and landing was extremely uncomfortable. When I remarked on this (politely and with a smile) to the FA while putting mine on, she patronizingly replied, “We can endure anything for a few minutes, Mr. Johnson.”Will never, ever fly United long-haul again.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by Mews Tom    (USA)

I have flown United my whole life. It had been ten years since I had flown. This last week we flew from the mid west to the pacific coast using nothing but United. It's natural to have delays from weather related issues, but We didn't have any to worry about. What has completely destroyed my desire to fly anywhere again is the complete lack of planning, customer service and treatment from all the personnel we had contact with. Our delays, service, and vacation was substandard because we chose this airline. I will not recommend this airline to anyone.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 February 2015 by A Malman    (USA)

Overall based on a round-trip flight between IAD and SFO I would give United 0 stars. On the outbound leg, there was a medical emergency on-board and the United flight crew was totally unprepared to handle the situation. If a medical kit was on-board, it wasn't made available to the medical personnel who tried to provide assistance and it took 15 minutes for the Flight attendant to bring a wet towel to help cool the patient down. Our return flight was delayed by almost 5 hours with not even "we apologize" for the delay from United. Then our bags were placed on a different flight that didn't arrive until 1 hours after our flight and the bags didn't show up at the airport until 4 hours after we landed. Again no apologies from United. then we got numerous texts from United about the status of our bags. One even claimed the bags arrived at IAD 2 hours before we did. Most of the customer support folks at the Baggage Claim customer support were surly and not the kind of people who should be working in customer support.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

SFO-HND/NRT-SFO in First. The outbound flight was so not First Class. The crew never addressed anyone by name-I think there were 6 of us and when my aisle mate had trouble finding the chest belt, the FA motioned and pointed rather than walking to the seat to assist. The dinner was OK but there was no style in its presentation-or of any of the meal. The crew was present when necessary but had no real interaction with any passengers that I observed. The breakfast was insipid. Again poorly presented, eggs lukewarm and the potato patty was soggy and blah as was the some-kind-of sausage patty. All in all, it was a simply so far off the "First Class" moniker that I arrived feeling nothing but annoyance. The return from Narita was much better. United still lacks any sense of presentation or style but the crew was friendly, present and engaged. The meals were both better than those on the inbound, more tasty and hot, but still far off the mark that is achieved by other airlines, not only in First but even in Business. I used miles but had I paid the full freight, I would have been furious at what was delivered. I will give UA credit for its hard product. The seat is comfortable and has plenty of storage area and the IFE is good.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by C Geurts    (Canada)

From the moment we tried to check in at the Spokane Airport until our return from Costa Rica a week later, we felt like we were just a major inconvenience to the entire Airline. At check in the staff member rolled her eyes while informing us we were in the wrong line and it went downhill from there. No smiles, no greetings, no nothing - flight crew were grumpy, and detached. When I asked what was on their food menu for purchase, another roll of the eyes and was informed it was in the book in front of me. Leaving the plane you could almost hear the flight crew heave a sigh of relief the flight was over and they were rid of us, the entire plane load. We were pried into our seats with a shoe horn and never in all my travels have I felt so claustrophobic - the 3 hour leg of the trip was almost unbearable to sit through. No leg room, small seating and the person ahead of me nearly had his head in my lap when reclining. Given a choice, this would be an airline choice of last resort.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Sarah Kiarie    (USA)

I recently flew from Indiana to Kansas City with a connection in Chicago. My flight from IN to Chicago was delayed by two hours causing me to miss my connection and stay another night. The staff at the ticket counter were very rude and not helpful at all. The next day my flight from Chicago to KS was delayed again because of another plane coming late. Two and a half hours later we finally take off. All the staff can say is sorry for the delay. Needless to say, I will never fly with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by A Clark    (USA)

Chicago to St. Louis round-trip. All flights were on time with friendly service. Midday in Chicago, I cleared security in 10 minutes. Mobile boarding pass is very helpful. Boarding was quick and easy. Flight operated by Shuttle America E-170. The plane was very comfortable with lots of legroom in standard economy. I am 6' and had no problem. Return was equally as easy. St. Louis security very quick. This flight was operated by Trans State ERJ- 145. It was fine for the hour flight, but anything longer would have been unpleasant. Narrow seats and aisle, less legroom, low ceiling, seats falling apart, very loud engines and lots of turbulence. Flight attendant very nice. Arrived 20 minutes early. The cost was definitely worth it over driving or amtrak given the punctuality. No inflight entertainment was offered on either flight, which is fine for such short flights. I arrived an hour be fore both flights, but could have got there much later. I recommend United, and usually don't have issues with them, and plan to fly them, again in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by R Paterson    (USA)

AUS-IAH-LGA in F. First segment on a new E175 in Economy Plus. Actually really surprised at the comfort of the seat despite all the negative press about the new Slimline product. Of course this flight was only about 30 minutes but for a regional hop not bad at all. Continuing segment was on A319 in F. Seat was moderately comfortable but pitch was lacking and by the end of this 3 hour flight I was definitely eager to deplane. Service was attentive and professional however and drinks were consistently refilled. Food could have been better but what else is new. Overall, I was pleased with this journey and despite being loyal to AA would consider UA again if traveling to one of their hub cities.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Vitalij Zabelo    (Lithuania)

I have no idea why they call travelling United "flying the friendly skies". I have not seen even one friendly FA during my two flights. During SJU-EWR leg we weren't even greeted while boarding the plane. It felt like a sarcastic joke when they showed a safety video at the beginning of the flight with smiling crew greeting you, since all you see on board is sad, tired, unprofessional crew. The flight was 90 minutes late due to an electronic glitch in one of the plane's systems. Even though many were going to miss their connections in FRA there were no apologies given - just a statement of facts. Pilot announcements consisted of mumbling something intelligible into a PA system couple of times and when it was brought to the attention of a FA she responded "Oh yes, I know, I could not understand him either". Thirdly, it is a meal service. Food itself was inedible, but this is a common trend of many airlines, so I did not have any expectation in regards. The main issue was what they call service on board United, or total lack of it. There were no smiles, no "enjoy your meal", no "what would you like", just appalling "what do you want" and throwing it at your table - truly "the friendly sky"! There was a row and a half of passengers forgotten during the beverage service and FA had to be reminded to serve us some drinks. I understand mistakes and miscommunication may happen, but a little "sorry" would be the right word to say. There were none! And lastly is the seat comfort. I understood that new United modus operandi of the economy class is to squeeze you towards the back of the plane into old uncomfortable seats with no leg room (in which no one should be allowed legally to seat for more than 2 hours) so you would spend a hundred or so bucks for the Economy Extra next time you fly with them. I also, however, do believe that even the most affordable on-board service class should include some basics of travel and hospitality: decent amount of leg room (not extra, but just sufficient), acceptable service and a friendly crew. Anything beyond that should be considered extra and come for a price, of course, that customer will chose to pay or not. Since United has obviously different point of view in this regard, I will avoid flying them next time.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by J Bankston    (USA)

Houston to Narita and Narita to Houston - dirty plane, restrooms not cleaned during the flight, and staff could learn how to serve with a smile from almost every Asian airline. Only positive was the flights were on time. We should not be treated like cattle and rude attendants who complained about the merger of two airlines rather than even attempting to serve the passengers. Oh and the meals were 1/2 the quality of ANA, Delta, Air France or KLM.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 February 2015 by Robert Mroz    (USA)

Up at 3 am for a 6 am flight from Buffalo to Miami with stop in Newark. Buffalo to Newark bathrooms on plane out of order. They were to tell us before we boarded but did not. Arrive Newark 8 minutes late. First ones off aircraft, onto shuttle at terminal "A" to terminal "C". Race through airport no time for bathroom stop, arrive gate to be told they sold our seats. They had to know we were on the flight because they had our luggage. Very angry workers directed me to service desk where they booked us on a flight 12 hours later to Miami where we had to pay for another hotel for a night because the car rental company that we booked through was closed. The plane was still at the gate while we were making other arrangements. I am a frequent flyer and will now utilize another airline.

SJU-EWR-FRA. First leg in the Economy Plus seat located next to a toilet with a broken door that would not close by itself - very annoying. Inhospitable, apathetic crew. No greetings, no smiles, robotic service. EWR departure 2 hours late. No apologies, just stating the fact. Old cramped seats, filthy toilets, nasty food, no complimentary alcoholic beverages, unfriendly, incompetent, under-trained crew with same "we do not care" attitude on EWR-FRA leg. Why they call themselves "flying the friendly skies" is still a mystery to me! In general, if United domestic service is bad, its transatlantic one is just appalling. I wonder how they manage to compete with other airlines and still sell their tickets, since there are so many choices now. I would never recommend this airline to anyone!

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by R Shankar    (Australia)

Recently flew from Boston to San Francisco on a 757. First at the check in where Star Alliance Gold Passengers have to pay for an extra bag. Then to the lounge - dirty and too full. Then onboard - crew so grumpy and super senior rude crew. Very limited service and no smiles at all. Crew just wanted to get their job done so they could chat amongst themselves at the back of the Y class cabin. Honestly I dread flying this airline - UA has to be the worst airline in the Star Alliance. SQ, TG, NH, TK please teach them how to serve their customers better!

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Uwe Langhammer    (USA)

Flew IAH-DEN-IAH on A320 last week and we had the Personal Entertainment Option (Beta). I guess after Beta unfortunately we have to pay for that too. Both flights on time and nothing to complain about.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Erich Struzyk    (USA)

I have been a loyal UA Mileage Plus customer since 1984. On my last flight from FLL to SFO (Flight 1645 on 2/1/2015) I was not admitted into the FLL Lounge - despite me having presented a very valid UA Club Pass, which I received last week in relation to my new Chase MP Explorer Visa Card. Even the remark that I travel on First Class did nothing. The lady in the lounge claimed that the United Passes I got from Chase were falsified! They were not as UA customer service later confirmed. The flight itself was a horrible experience: None of very old blue leather seats in First Class reclined. There were no foot-rest (which is standard even in many Economy Classes around the world - for example on Turkish Airlines). The United First Class Seat was at least 30 years old, with a sealed armrest ashtray. The food was horrible and cold and a stewardess did not know the difference between white wine and champagne. The Video system on my seat had no audio. The much touted "Wi-Fi” did not work - I could not connect. I conveyed to UAL that they should not use such equipment on long-haul flights. The flight in First (which really was not a First Class experience at all) cost me 50.000 Miles. I will frequent other airlines from now on.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 February 2015 by Downing Rupert    (Canada)

FRA-ORD-LAX-OGG. All flights were in clean planes with enough legroom (I've 183cm of height). IFE on international SEA-IAH-LIM return. This was a good trip outbound in business class. The lie flat seats in the B767s on the Lima leg were excellent, crews were attentive. My wife broke her leg in Peru so we had a medically assisted evacuation back and the service was excellent, wheelchairs, attendants, etc. all good.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by S Jansen    (Germany)

FRA-ORD-LAX-OGG. All flights were in clean planes with enough legroom (I've 183cm of height). IFE on international flights depends on the aircraft, but on B777 and B767-400 its working well with a good choice of movies. Staff friendly (with one exception), food compared to other airlines (e. g. Lufthansa) much better. We missed our flight in ORD due to a 45min-delay in FRA for which United was not responsible. We could Hotel vouchers in Chicago, flew to LAX and OGG the following day and arrived in Maui about 20hrs late. OK, we missed one day in Maui, but we got compensation (350USD for each passenger).

United Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by Mohammad Afsar    (USA)

Frequent flyer here. Worst flight experience I have had. Flight was supposed to be 53 minutes long. Got 44 minutes delayed due to late arrival of the plane. After boarding, 15 minutes delay due to "technical difficulties". Smallest plane I've been in. Even though I wasn't planning on checking in my backpack, the plane was so small that most passengers had to give their carry on luggage to the flight attendants to pick up from the luggage claim later. After landing (59 minutes after we were supposed to), the baggage claim carousel wasn't turned on until 35 minutes later! 2 other flights' passengers have landed after us, collected their luggage from the carousel next to ours, and left. Finally, 40 minutes after landing (which is unusual for a domestic flight at a small airport), they started providing our luggage. The only good part about the whole flight was the behaviour of the pilot and the attendant. My ride was waiting outside for an hour and a half and I was extremely embarrassed. Never again.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 February 2015 by P Kerins    (Canada)

Recently travelled from Fort Lauderdale to Vancouver on 2 different United Airline flights. I have never complained to an airline before about leg room until now and have been travelling since 1976. If you tried to seat your pet into an area as small, I think you would be answering to a higher authority. That's how bad it is folks! They actually allow passengers to recline their seats during the flights so you know the rest of the story!

United Airlines Customer review :  30 January 2015 by Tom Wooge    (USA)

In-flight service is long out the window, video entertainment is endless infomercials and the last scraps of legroom have vanished into thin air. On a recent full flight from Newark to Los Angeles a new super skinny seating was encountered that climbs to a whole new altitude of pain and suffering. When reputable airlines change to slim seats, the airline gets more seats on the plane and passengers get a bit more legroom, but at United, this would never fly. United, now using Continentals short-haul 737-900s on long-haul routes, has extra extra seats that don’ t quite fit. To make passable exit row clearance, seats behind are compacted to even less than their typical 30-inch seat pitch on this aircraft - less than the 31-inches specified for many other flights - and much less than the 32-inches United advertises when selling economy seats. My seat had only 2-feet clear butt-to-shin with perhaps an additional 4-inch knee-high seatback thickness - probably a 28-inch pinch - or less! When the passenger in front tried repeatedly to recline - there being no extra room, it was impossible. The passenger drew a cabin attendant to complain that I would not allow the seat to recline. The attendant seriously explained to me that the passenger had purchased a ticket entitling them to my leg space and may fully recline the seat. Unfazed, the attendant told me that if I wanted extra legroom, I should have purchased an“Economy-Plus” seat. I asked how much it would cost, but there were no free seats - at any price. I explained that I did not need extra legroom, just sufficient room - which they were not providing. Not reconciled to the laws of physics, the attendant continued insisting that this was all my fault - that I was taking up space that I was not entitled to - and had me turn sideways, putting my knees in the aisle so the seat could recline. My shoulder was now in the way of the seat. I could not turn back either, and complained that the vending carts would hurt my legs even more than the seatback. Only then did the attendant finally suggest that the other passenger switch seats with their adjacent small child. For $25 a luggage bag had more space than me - and was treated much better!

United Airlines Customer review :  30 January 2015 by C Copeland    (USA)

My family and I flew United for the last time over the holidays. We bought tickets the previous March in order to get direct flights to the west coast and seats together. We chose to fly out of Logan - very inconvenient for us, but the only airport offering a direct flight. A few weeks before our trip, we received an email telling us that our flights had all been changed. Now, we were leaving hours earlier, getting in hours later, with stopovers both ways. These flights were on Christmas day and New Year's Eve - clearly, a few hours made a huge difference. Also, our seats were no longer together. I will never fly United again. Customer service is terrible.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by L Singleton    (USA)

Never again will my family and I fly with United Airlines! We flew in from Sacramento to San Fran and we missed the connecting flight to Hawaii because of their delays. We had to wait 2 hours then fly up to Seattle and then to Hawaii which made a 5 hour flight over 6 hours! On the way back from Hawaii we had a flight connecting us from LAX to Sacramento but missed it once more because we were sitting on the Tarmac for 40 minutes doing nothing. There were no more flights to SAC so we had to spend the night in LA. My husband, 2 sons and I are now missing work, and my 2 other children are missing school. Missing the flight once was bad enough but a second one is totally unacceptable. Both times the planes we needed to get on were sitting there and we were only late by minutes and they wouldn't let us on. We missed a whole day in Hawaii because of it. Also on the flight with UN from Hawaii to LA there was no complimentary food.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by I Williams    (Switzerland)

London to Costa Rica via Newark. Check in was quick and efficient. flight to Newark left on time and we landed 20 minutes early. The 777 was clean, well equipped and comfortable. In Flight service excellent and food and drinks plentiful and good, including the ice cream and caramel that was very impressive. Transit through Newark was somewhat long but that is nothing to do with the airline. Flight Newark to Costa Rica was on time. Aircraft was a 737 of some age but the seat was fine and the crew excellent again. Food and drinks again good for a short haul flight. So my experience of United was a good experience and well worth trying as the tickets are good value and extremely competitive against other carriers.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by J Clifford    (USA)

MDT-IAD-LAS-ORD-MDT. Other than the leg from Dulles to Vegas the trip was largely a non-event. Even that leg the only real complaints I have is that it (B-737) was fully booked, and the WiFi system on the plane was spotty. I do not recommend paying for the on-board WiFi systems until you've spent some time in the 'complimentary' area to make sure the system is working properly. The MDT-Dulles leg was a 25-minute trip not especially worth discussing. The Embraer 145 is a nice little plane, the single-seat arrangement on the one side of the cabin does make a nice opportunity to get both a window and aisle seat. LAS-ORD was aboard an older 757. Seats were more comfortable than the 737, but in-flight entertainment was limited to basically an old Discovery Channel program on overhead CRTs. On the other hand, it was free, so I guess you get what you pay for. This plane was also fully booked, but got lucky with a smaller woman in the center seat. ORD-MDT was aboard an A-319. Seats were comfortable. Inflight entertainment was available over a wi-fi connection to my tablet. Worked like a charm. Large selection of programming. Plane was about 80% booked, and I got lucky with an empty center seat. On all 4 legs, cabin crew was attentive and reasonably pleasant. Flights were on time, or at least close enough that I had no trouble making connections. Notes: Bring a tablet or something to occupy yourself with. When the in-flight entertainment is right, it works well. When it's not, you'll be twiddling your thumbs without some way of entertaining yourself for hours. Do use the United app. Having the boarding pass on the smart phone - and getting all the necessary updates through the app - made things easier. It worked reasonably well. When traveling within the US (on any airline), don't go non-stop coast to coast. 5 hours on a fully-loaded plane is miserable (and, lets face it, they're all close to fully loaded today). An hour layover in some place in the middle is now a welcome respite, and no longer a nuisance. Be prepared for delays. Stuff happens on every airline - mechanical and weather. My reading of the other reviews complaining about United strike me as largely problems that every airline is guilty of in some way, shape or form. It is simply the reality of airline flight in 2014. Airline travel just isn't what it was 20 years ago, when the planes were half full, so there was more room, and the cabin crew was not so rushed.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by Epstein Dominique    (France)

Flight 914 from CDG to MCI with connection at Washington Dulles, on Jan 14, in Economy class. The product featured by United is sub-standard. Of course, ageing aircraft in the main leg (767) is clean and well maintained, and this is the minimum you can expect from one of the largest airlines in the world. Check-in, boarding operations, baggage, everything ok. Seats are standard. VOD is poor, with very limited options, and not user friendly. The music program was out of order for this flight, and films not plenty. Besides, on individual screens, maps are not detailed, and this system is less advanced than 20 years ago (I am not joking) in Asian companies. Also, flight information is given exclusively in feet, inches, miles, just if the metric system does not exist in the rest of the world! Regarding meals, they are almost edible. We had chicken with some sauce (more sweet than sour), a large salad with a too smallish cup of dressing (good), and a kind of sponge cake pompously christened crumble – wrapped in a cello paper, printed European quality, but made in Alabama. All in a very small slippy tray, complimented with picnic cutlery (100% plastic). And, of course, passengers have to pay 7.99 $ for one beer. Ridiculous. By the way, a sandwich (not bad) was served before landing, but do not expect more than water between meal and snack. Fruit juices, ice creams and other open bar is a dream out of reach at United. Attitude of cabin crew very professional (attendants have apparently about 20/25 years experience), working efficiently but not cheerful (friendly skies, really?), in very bland uniforms which could be copied from Railways of the 70’ Being familiar with Asian and Middle East airlines, I find United well below what you may expect from such a large corporation.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 January 2015 by R Cahill    (USA)

United Premium Economy is a gamble, it seems to be directly dependent on the type of aircraft you are flying. On a 777 the seats are nice and spacious, the services (seatback entertainment) are premium and you can really feel the extra legroom making the extra charge totally worthwhile. On a 747 the opposite is true, I had more room in Economy on an Airbus than I did in Premium Economy on a 747. On the 747 I couldn't even fit my very small backpack under the seat in front of me and what little legroom I had was obstructed by a large piece of plastic. The aisles were noticeably narrower as well, which made every beverage service an exercise in getting smacked with a cart (not fun on a 13 hour flight). I did notice there was an extra seat in every row on the 747, which is probably were all that extra room went. Also relying on the old school movie screens meant that even if you were trying to sleep a bright light was shining in your face. On the bright side as always the crew were nice, courteous and professional. Long story short though? If you're going to spring for the Economy Plus make sure you're on the right type of plane, it makes a big difference.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by L Lloyd    (USA)

I flew to London on the so called "Dreamliner". United is so bad, they have now changed out the seats in coach to the same tiny seats for short commuter flights. United plus is not a better seat or service, just more leg room which is the least of the issues unless your over 6 feet tall. Beer and Wine are now $7 each! They are free on European airlines with more comfortable seats. I used to be bothered when they cancelled direct flights from Houston to Paris. Now I don't have to chose between United and Air France!

United Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Alison Pockat    (USA)

We had truly horrible service from the first flight out to the last flight of the return trip. United booked us to fly into Newark to connect with a flight out of JFK - we got the joy of finding this out when we checked in. On the return flight from Zurich, the cabin crew announced that they were short staffed due to management cut- backs. Translation, in our case where we were seated near the rear of the plane, is that we got one small sandwich six hours into the flight. I would have killed for a glass of water and maybe some food. Then our connecting flight to Raleigh was cancelled due to 'weather' and therefore we were responsible for our own sleeping arrangements. The 'weather' in Raleigh was drizzle. Our bags went American and arrived on time. A complaint to United was not even met with an apology. Instead they offered of a $100 voucher for future travel with them!

United Airlines Customer review :  26 January 2015 by Alex Ross    (Uzbekistan)

I try to avoid flying United when I can but as I was with Continental I sort of inherited their frequent flyer program. So my review is of a recent flight this last summer but also of their frequent flyer plan which unless you are a Business flyer, I would avoid. It's almost impossible to move up to Gold with them. I flew 50K miles, flew on them 4 times but failed to spend 5000 dollars on their tickets because I live overseas and usually fly Turkish and claim the miles because I thought they were in the same alliance which it turns out isn't really true - at least not for United. The flight we took was from London to Houston. Cancelled because it's United and we were placed on a flight to NYC in an effort to get us to a flight that connected to Texas which we missed so then they put us on a flight to Chicago so that they wouldn't have to pay for a Hotel etc ad nauseam. Funnily enough our flight back to London from Texas had one leg cancelled because it's United and they told us to drive from Austin to Houston but that's another story altogether. The plane we were on from London to NYC was just about clean enough, my gluten free meal was gone because it's United (My flight had been cancelled and my meal with it) and the entertainment system was down because, it's United. Needless to say I am now with the FF program of Turkish Airlines and will never fly United again unless it's impossible due to US monopolistic practices. Don't fly United.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 January 2015 by A Chung    (USA)

LAX-MEL - B787-8 - Overall a good flight. Equipment changed from a B787-9 to a B787-8. Not too disappointed since it was still a Dreamliner, but the change to the smaller aircraft had the consequence that a baby was moved from the forward business class to the 3 Business rows in the mid-section. A baby on 16 hrs flight - not recommended. Flight departed from LAX 1.5 hr late. Basically waited on board for 1.5 hrs. Everyone had already boarded so we were in this plane for at least 17 hrs. Flight uneventful, new Dreamliner is a really great airplane, large windows, very airy cabin. Seat is good except that not every seat has direct aisle access. Inflight Entertainment great, good selection of movies, TV shows. Service was attentive (above usual United average), Food was decent. Unfortunately United does not supply their Business customers with Fast passes for Melbourne Airport Immigration, so waited almost 1 hr to get through on top of the 1.5 hr delay. All in all a great plane and can recommend if you are traveling to Melbourne.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 January 2015 by S Isom    (USA)

I am currently sitting on the flight that was supposed to depart at 6.05 am from NY to Dayton. It is 6.40 am and we have not taken off. We have been sitting on the plane for almost an hour due to "maintenance issues." I am not going to make my connection and this is after the exact same issue on the flight I took to NY. I was sceptical to book a flight with United based on anecdotal experience with friends and family, but now I am experiencing it first hand on both legs of the trip. The first flight of the day and it is delayed? It is evident how United does business. By the way, no word on when we are leaving.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by T Mastomaki    (USA)

UA163, GUM-ICN, 1/5/2015. We sat in the airplane 1.5 hours before departure, due to a missing logbook. Add 5.5 hours to destination, makes 7 hours total time in ac. Breakfast was served, it was small and below standard. Flight attendants were hard to find for any extra drinks. 2.5 hours prior to destination, captain turned on fasten seat belts sign due to turbulence, hence terminating inflight service. There was no turbulence, we were on top of the cloud layer. There was no turbulence during descent as well. I feel the seat belt sign was turned on to avoid further service to passengers. Inflight entertainment was poor quality. The small movie screen had continuous static, making it impossible to watch.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Andrew Gibson    (USA)

MAN to EWR RT BusinessFirst. I have been a loyal CO customer for about 20 years and have tried so hard to like the new United but my patience has definitely worn out. The service inboard is simply too hit or miss and, increasingly, miss. The FA's treat passengers like a necessary evil to be served minimally and with zero smiles or grace. The service is functional at best and once completed the FAs hide behind the curtain. Worst still their planes are already showing signs of ageing - on the outbound flight my moms seat reclined minimally and then jammed so she had to spend the rest of the flight bolt upright (she refused to switch with me). Notably the same seat was still broken 10 days later when she took the same flight home on, clearly, the same plane. Crew were indifferent to the seat problem. BA and Delta both have far more dependably good service and UA has simply stopped trying. I did a DL Gold status match for 2015 so will ditch UA after all these years. Shame but they just don't deserve my business anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Michel Perrin    (Brazil)

IAH-GIG-B767/400. In the morning, on United Airlines on-line check-in I could see that Aircraft would not be a 777 but a 767. At night , on departure, mess was absolute. Seats had been re-marked separating couples, etc.. Departure was delayed 2 hours due to Cargo issues resulting of Aircraft change (which was NOT unexpected). Late 1h45 mn at arrival in Rio. No Amenities pouch (why?). Unacceptable food for International Business class: Ugly and dry. Overcooked. IFE was the same as 2 months before. How ? Seat remains flat and comfortable. FA's tried their best, but passengers were upset.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Marcus Nyberg    (Sweden)

Dallas - New York - Stockholm. I have previously promised to never fly United again after a couple of extremely poor flight and customer care experiences. Now I end up on two United flights once again because that seemed to be the only option. This time the experience was slightly better. The staff is still a bit grumpy, the entertainment system is below average, the food is among the worst I have had in the air, and the check-in processes are a bit strange. Nevertheless, I ended up coming home on time without being too frustrated!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Knut Lind    (Norway)

Flying now United Airlines round the world starting from Europe. Never again on a UA flight unless it is the last choice. They started me on a feeder flight from Oslo to Frankfurt only to tell me that they pushed me 24 hours on their flight to Chicago, because they simply cancelled the flight that day. I did not accept and got across with Air Canada, but ended in Toronto rather than USA. Had 5 internal flights in the US, scheduled time seems an approximate time, not a target for UA. I boarded in Washington on UA803 via Japan with same flight number going to Singapore. After boarding we sat excess 1,5 hours in the plane awaiting for UA to finish their maintenance. Arrived Tokyo only about 40 minutes late, but was told too late to board the 803 flight to Singapore. On arrival I had a good 30 minutes and only hand luggage. Tough luck, same flight number means 2 different airplanes on the two legs, and no margin to be late crossing the Pacific. 6 hours waiting with shifting to Haneda. Business class and Star Alliance Gold card means nothing to UA's level of service. Never UA again.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Reynold Bryan    (USA)

I flew from San Francisco to Managua and the overall value and service was typical for United. United has the worst food and in-flight entertainment in the industry. The flight attendants want to serve you food immediately after the flight begins so they can chatter in the forward and rear galleys of the airplane. Low fat potato chips and cookies are not a snack they are the lowest cost food options that you can offer your customers. United Airlines overall is of the worst carriers for inflight services in the airline industry. I was in Business/First and they wanted me to pay for both the internet and DirectTV, why don't you just consider me a customer that hates your airlines and that will avoid you at all costs.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Daniel W MacDonald    (UK)

Newark to Fort Lauderdale on 13th January 2015. Flight on time and aircraft clean. Decent seats with good legroom in premium economy. What lets them down in the complete disinterest and discourtesy of their staff, from check in and throughout the journey. No smiles, no interaction, no welcome on boarding, just generally no customer interaction at all. I am a silver member and frequent flier with BA and their staff are far far superior in terms of customer interaction at all points in the journey. Overall not a bad airline at all, they just don't live up to their logo "Fly the friendly skies".

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

SFO-SEA-SFO. A320 + B737/900. Late on departure in both cases. On time at arrival in both cases. No frills. Check- in smooth and as an alliance gold no baggage cost.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by R Muldowney    (USA)

Every flight I was booked on today was late or canceled. I am sure the airlines would say not our fault, but it was late planes. Mechanical failures that blocked gates. First officers that don't show up and scratches on the bottoms of wings that mysteriously grow while the FO can't be located. Two guys booked on the flight decided to drive to Indy because it would be faster than flying. Not a ringing endorsement.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Erez Hartal    (USA)

TLV-ORD via EWR business first. Comfortable seat and was able to sleep for 7 hours. Dinner OK, good entree, nice service. Seats flat and convenient. Breakfast OK. Catering could be better, but reasonable. Staff constantly in cabin during dinner and breakfast. Liked catering on Austrian and Turkish better. EWR United club, nice showers and service from club staff, but mediocre offering of snacks.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by John Doig    (UK)

EDI-EWR, UA37 on B757-200 aircraft on the last day of 2014. (Part of a ‘P’fare booking EDI/EWR/PBI and return). Checked-in at the dedicated business class desk, and was advised that UAL use the ‘Aspire’ lounge at EDI. The lounge was fine with a reasonable selection of food items for a snack breakfast. Flights are not called from the lounge. Boarding appeared to be well managed, a number of supplementary security / travel questions were asked by an agent at the gate. Once onboard a welcome drink of champagne juice or water was offered. There is a 2-2 flatbed seat configuration in Business Class. The seat was comfortable with plenty of space and easy-to-use chair and In Flight Entertainment controls. The plane Departed on time at 09.05. On board service began roughly 45 minutes after departure. The main meal was lunch followed by a snack prior to arrival at EWR. In my opinion this is where UAL need to put more thought into what is offered. In view of the time of day, prior to 10.00, a full breakfast or brunch rather than a lunch might have been a better catering option? The service from flight attendants was efficient although some of them appeared to be a bit tired looking. Small touches such as addressing passengers by name were absent on this flight. This was done on the inbound UA36, EWR-EDI, 8 Jan 15 in comparison. The flight arrived at EWR around 35minutes ahead of schedule, this was partly due to an on board medical emergency situation. Overall, the flight was a pleasant and efficient experience. I would use UAL again in Business Class subject to obtaining a fare at a suitable price!

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

SFO-IAH, B767-300. Seat broken, not inclining. No advise at check-in, that would allow a change before upgrade list to be activated. Lounge as a nice view but nothing to eat, and bar is paid. Went to Singapore Airlines one. Much better.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by E Maassen    (USA)

This was my first and last time flying with United. I am a frequent Delta and Southwest traveler and was beyond disappointed with my experience on United. Our second flight was cancelled and it took someone over 15 minutes to inform us of this cancellation-additionally, I was not notified via their app about this cancellation. It was 10am and they claimed they had no way to get us home that day, unless we spent $80 to take a shuttle to another airport and then took two more flights from there. They then charged us three times for our bags. Overall (not including the two extra bag charges), this cost us an additional $180 and they refused to pay for a cent. I will never fly this airline again. Also, as a side note, as we spent the entire day in the airport, we noticed that they overbooked every single flight, some flights were overbooked by more than 10 people! Terrible airline-poor customer service and extra fees for everything (snacks, bags, television, etc.)

United Airlines Customer review :  19 January 2015 by Aliza Panjwani    (USA)

On our way back from Cancun, we had a stopover in Houston. The flight from Cancun was delayed 1.5 hrs, leaving us under 40 minutes to go through customs, re-check our bags, and get to a different gate in another terminal. We did not make our connecting flight. Along the way, there were no helpful attendants and no actions taken to give us even a fighting chance to get to our gate. They attendants on the plane had no information about gates, connecting flights, or any other helpful info. We missed our connecting flight to New York. We kept getting sporadic, ever- changing alert texts from United. Sometimes the flight was delayed by 2 hours and then reverted back to half an hour. We did not received a comped hotel and had to spend additional money staying the night at Houston. We were re-booked onto a flight the next day at 10.21 am. We arrived at the airport approximately two hours before the flight. Tthe flight was delayed 54 minutes and would now be departing at 11.15am. Shortly after, we were told that the flight was delayed for 2.5 hours, departing at 12.45pm. Having been up and at the airport since early morning, we were famished. We decided to use the restrooms and grab a quick bite to eat as we had a 4-5 hour flight ahead of us. In that extremely brief time, the flight time was reverted to 11 am. We received the notification at 10.30. After the flight was delayed 2.5 hours, we made the rational decision to eat something in the meanwhile. Does United expect that it's customers not get up from their seats to relieve themselves, get a drink of water, or a quick bite to eat after having waited at the airport for so long? We missed our connecting flight again due to incompetence and poor customer service. We immediately went to an agent where we again received attitude and condescending lectures. I travel back and forth from the United States just to Canada alone at least 7x (round trip) a year. We recommend you stay away from this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by S Politis    (UK)

I was astonished that 3 out of 4 flights of my honeymoon were delayed. In fact 2 of the delayed flights were more than 2 hours delayed. We flew 28th May 2014, LHR-SFO which was on time where we were supposed to catch a flight to HNL. The HNL flight was over an hour late in departure. On our return trip on 18th June 2014 the HNL-IAD flight was more than 2 hours late, and the connecting flight to LHR on 19th June was boarded, then disembarked as the plane was faulty - and we ended up with a 3 hour delay. No one at the airline seemed particularly bothered or apologetic.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Johnson Tammy    (USA)

Flew from San Diego to Mobile. On all 4 flights they didn't have my husband and I sitting together. We talked to customer service at both airports and they refused to make any changes unless we paid $59 to upgrade to an extra leg room seat. To add insult to injury you have to pay for your luggage, pay for the direct TV, pay for any snacks - not even a peanut for free.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Jonas Hutter    (Germany)

FRA-EWR-PHX-EWR-ZRH. FRA-EWR on old 767-300 with a tiny little screen in front of you that shows some movies on channels. Own earphones did not work. Plane very loud. However, seat quite comfortable, very nice cabin crew and good and tasty food. Legroom officially at 31in. but feels bigger than on transatlantic BA or AF. Brought my own entertainment, so I had an excellent flight (should have brought earplugs though). EWR-PHX on newly refurbished A319 with slimline seats. Again lots of legroom even for me (6'6" / 2m) and again no IFE but wifi available. But again a nice crew with two full drink runs (alcohol for purchase) and some walk throughs with water. PHX-EWR on 737-700 also with new interior and AVOD. However, this is provided by DirecTV, cost is $5.99 for flight of two hours or less and $7.99 for flight of more than 2 hours. Sadly, even the flight information part is enclosed here, so you don't see it unless you pay for it. Again two drink runs and good service by nice flight crew. Of the four planes on this trip this one had the worst legroom but still OK. EWR-ZRH on 767-400. Old plane with brand new interior - and a good one at that. Slimline seats with a big screen in front of you, a large choice of new movies, games and shows. Legroom again very good, the 31in. at United appear to be bigger inches than those on other airlines. Tasty dinner and small breakfast (with fresh fruit!). After reading many bad reviews, I had mixed feelings about stepping into a United plane. I even considered doling out the (quite big amount of) $$ for Premium Economy. But I got corrected. All planes were clean and well maintained, nothing rattled or fell of. The crews were all nice and helpful. Legroom was never an issue, even with pax in front of me reclining. After this experience I highly recommend United. Before you fly - find out if you have to bring your own entertainment (or pay for it)!

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Amber Peck    (Canada)

I have had more then one bad experience with United Airlines. Used United to fly at least 10 times in the last 10 months, and almost 8 of those times something has gone wrong - cancelled flights, ridiculous charges for flight changes if necessary, recently my boyfriend couldn't make his first flight so United was going to cancel his round trip ticket home which meant he had to buy new flights. These are just a few examples.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by A Snelling    (USA)

DAY-HAM round trip in Dec 2014/Jan 2015. All I can say is, "the absolute bare minimum" from United. When you buy a ticket these days, the airline only agrees to get you from point A to point B. They do not agree to feed you, entertain you, create a realistic schedule, get you or your luggage to your destination within any realistic time frame, or to help you find said luggage once they lose it. This is what you may expect from United - nothing more.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by A Cornelius    (USA)

Stuck in Belize for 7 hours because the plane did not leave Houston. No further explanation on the matter except that the plane never left. The United staff that rescheduled our connecting flights was extremely rude and not helpful at all. It almost seemed as if she was taking joy in the fact that we were all stranded there. Then, every passenger was forced to stay the night in Houston. My flight was supposed to be the first flight out of Houston, leaving at 7am, so I get to the airport at 5.30 am to find out that now it doesn't leave until 9:00. Every single staff me member I've encountered or asked for help from is miserable and rude. This was a one time thing, but I will never, ever fly United again. It's been the worst airline experience of my entire life, and I've flown hundreds of times.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by L Glenat    (Canada)

My husband and I traveled using ANA from Winnipeg - Bangkok then Toronto - Chicago and the Chicago-Toyko Narita flights were on United. We upgrade to Premium Economy for the 13 hour flight for comfort. Immediately we were grounded for 2.5 hours because the plane wouldn't accept the fuel. So all passengers including us who had to transfer in Narita were going to be late. Once finally in the air all audio wouldn't work. To add insult - the stove and cooking equipment wouldn't work either! For this 13 hour flight, the attendants served us frozen turkey sandwiches with ice cream. United staff did announce to everyone that they were sorry for the poor service. They did pay for our hotel, we were checked in at 3am and had to been on the next flight at 8am. The good news was the flight from Singapore to Bangkok was on Singapore Airlines. They are always in the top 5 airlines in the world for a good reason. On this 2.5 hour flight, we had much better service. United needs to completely overhaul their policies from top to bottom.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Tony Laverghetta    (Canada)

LAS-SFO, B737-900 and SFO-SYD, B777-200. First leg was a short flight on a new plane, soft drinks served, courteous crew, seats were just average but still too short flight to complaint. Second leg, killer flight to Australia almost 15 hrs, upgraded to Economy plus which was disappointing because basically is the same as economy with just a wider seat pitch that gave me more leg room and a comfortable sleep. Food just fine, the trays are getting smaller and smaller, crew was nice and attentive, plane a bit old, IFE average, small screens with a good selection. I have no problems flying UA again, but it has to be a really good deal as it is oceans apart compared to Qantas or Air New Zealand on the same routes down under.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Giovanna Dorset    (Australia)

The flight attendants on the flight from MEL to LAX couldn't have been more attentive, efficient and professional. Same on the LAX to NY and LAX to MEL. Food was reasonable, drinks were served regularly, cups of water offered often and service was second to none. I had heard all manner of criticism about United beforehand, however decided that given the effort by United to revamp the airline putting the 'Dreamliner' into service non-stop between MEL and LA it was only fair to give United a fair chance. United Airlines staff were nothing short of fantastic having arranged assistance for me on arrival at the various locations - in general over and above their call of duty.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 January 2015 by Nicholas Edwards    (USA)

Flew from LAX-LHR in Global First on the 777-200. Pros - Overall it is a very comfortable seat, nice and soft bedding with a mattress pad, small cabin (only 8 seats), great inflight entertainment system, and friendly service. Cons - Food was subpar for international first and the appetizer was a spring roll and a coconut rubbed shrimp skewer - very similar to what you might find in a cheap cocktail party. Soup was served in a teacup sized bowl, main was ok, desert was ok too if you like ice cream as that is the only option. If United wants to compete with other international first class, it needs more refinement, style, and "class" in their product. As I used award miles for this seat, it was perfectly fine. I would only fly first on an upgrade or on an award ticket, otherwise it is not worth the money.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Emily Franks    (USA)

What a ridiculous flight. My husband and I had to first had to wait over an hour to check our bags from Colorado to Alaska. Then our flight was over an hour late because of delays loading luggage. We missed our connecting flight and we had to wait in Anchorage with our three month old son for 8 hours. We didn't get a meal voucher or anything. The staff that worked for United told us that we weren't entitled and it was too bad. They gave everyone free movie on the plane but my husbands didn't work. I had already paid for a movie so it didn't matter on my screen. Will not be flying United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by C Fisher    (USA)

United looks appealing simply because it offers more choice and times. In previous years, it has been my first choice. Each time I was hoping the problem was just a fluke. The last 3 United flights all had huge delays and poor handling of the situation. The delay was not reported until after boarding time and passengers were not assisted with missing their connecting flight. Staff were rude and the planes were not very clean. United has grown too big to properly handle itself. If your looking for quality, not quantity, United is not the airlines to pick any more.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

NRT-SFO, upper deck B747. Check-in was quick and easy going. Avoiding UA depressing lounge, went to ANA one, which was not so so better. Wines not good. Food really uneatable (chicken). Desert: high calories ice cream with artificial flavor dressing. All of this to be avoided by healthy persons. Nice IFE, but much more limited than on B777. Old seat , but much more comfortable than B777 ANA's.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

SFO-SAN. B737-800. Everything fine, quick and easy, but luggage did nor make it. It arrived two flights later. Mysteries of UA/SFO.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by M Dennison    (UK)

Flew from LHR to Orlando via Washington. At LHR the staff were very helpful in sorting out our ESTA cock-up (kids' passports had been changed since applying for ESTA). That is the only positive about United. The seats are uncomfortable and cramped, the choice of in-flight entertainment poor (even if you could see it on the minuscule seat-back screen) or for the 2 hour flights pay-TV, and the food absolutely disgusting. No snacks offered (I guess they are worried people will fill up on these having tasted the food), although available to purchase, and no complimentary alcohol. Attendants fairly average, and could certainly do with a better corporate uniform on trip out. On way back distinctly poor. Most worrying was the man who was on our plane, and about 20 mins before take- off realized he was on the wrong flight, only when somebody else came to sit in his seat. How is that allowed to happen on United from Washington? From a security point of view it is unbelievable, and I wonder how the poor bloke fared trying to find the correct flight. Oh yes and over-booked flights, which I thought were a 20th century thing.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by A Duell    (Australia)

I flew UA from New York to LA and had to buy $10 headphones if I wanted to watch the TV. I also booked the flights with my partner and put us seated together and when we printed out our boarding tickets they had moved us so we sat separately on the flight. We then flew from LAX to Sydney Australia. Once again they had separated us. We were extremely annoyed that we had to spend a 14 and a half hour flight sitting in between strangers when we booked to sit together. There was no complimentary alcoholic beverages and the good food always ran out by the time it got towards the end of the plane which a lot of people complained about to the staff. Overall I would never recommend UA to anyone. Splitting up couples and putting single riders between them is a joke and not good enough.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Monique Cormier    (Canada)

Travelling from Ottawa to Maui on December the 28/2014, my experience with staff was not pleasant, some of them were very rude and impolite. Service was pitiful, not picking up garbage. At one point I had to take my own trash to the back of the plane, where staff were standing and chatting between themselves. If I can help it, I will never travel with this company again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Hendrix Andrew    (USA)

I used United in the past for domestic flights in the US and it was average, I thought it would be fine to use them to travel abroad. Price was the same as any other good or average quality airline. No less. Seat Comfort: average for domestic seat comfort with the disadvantage that there is no pillow, blanket, or other accessories offered. Food and Beverages: Here, the situation started bothering me. The only available food was for sale! The only beverages were water, juice and such. Everything else was for sale. Inflight Entertainment: The only provided entertainment was also for sale, even to listen to music you had to pay. Staff Service: I guess this varies but it was pretty poor. Some flight attendants were not courteous and shouted at passengers who stood up at awkward times. $1000 USD, 6 hrs trip with no entertainment, no food (only beverages), rude attendants and semi-domestic flight seats. Moreover, since only beverages were served, there was a more than 6 people line to use the restrooms at all times for the last 3 hours of the flight. After traveling to Europe and South America for the last two years in different airlines, I think this is a very poor service for such a high price. Other airlines give full service for about the same price!

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by Candace Burns    (USA)

Flew round trip Houston to Honolulu in Business Class costing over $6,000.00. The seats didn't recline enough to sleep comfortably. The foot rest was manual and difficult to operate. The seat was not as wide as a normal business class seat. There was no TV monitor, only wifi via the United app and your personal screen device. No one on the flight was aware of needing a personal device on the flight. There were no outlets available to charge a personal device if you had one, and the wifi kept going out. The selection of movies was not current. Older movies and TV shows were the only thing available. The meals were awful, pasta and sauce and a burrito, the return flight had the same offerings other than a pathetic breakfast sandwich with paper thin ham. No amenity kit was offered on the red eye return flight. There was nothing upgraded or business class about this flight. I do not recommend this airline for the trip to Honolulu from Houston.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 January 2015 by S Crapnell    (Australia)

Flight 1252 to LA. Flight started off delayed 20 minutes then out to 40 minutes. Then we boarded and sat for a further 20 minutes. No communication from the staff regarding the delay until the standard 'loading some late luggage" excuse. Really poor. Flight finally pushed back over an hour late with very little comment from a cabin crew that were largely anonymous. Crew standards are pretty ordinary. Never again with UA.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by James Wallace    (USA)

Hong Kong to Newark in Business Class. Good flight attendant and a very comfortable bed. Unfortunately, the Fasten Seatbelt Sign came on at least 8 times during the 14 hour flight and many times for the smallest turbulence which most passengers ignored. However, a very loud recorded message came on every time that said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign, please make sure your seatbelt is securely fastened". Because of this announcement, I could never sleep more than 90 minutes at a time.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

Flew SFO LAX and ICN - SFO in Business as part of a RTW ticket. I continue to see improvement at United. On the short hop to LAX, I was in F and the drinks were served in glass as opposed to my last experience when they were in plastic. The FA was friendly and very present. On the transpacific leg, I was on the Upper Deck. I continue to really like the UA Business Class seat. It has more positions and the space is well designed. The dinner was quite good - Cioppino - and nicely served. Most US crews lack the energy and enthusiasm that one finds on foreign carriers but the service was friendly and attentive. I have no complaints.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Candace Burns    (USA)

Paid over $6,000 for business class ticket to Honolulu. This is an 8.5 hour flight. Seat was smaller than any other business class seat I've experienced - no recline and very uncomfortable. Meals were worse than usual airline food, a sad dish of penne pasta and tomato sauce. Second meal was a burrito wrap! Entertainment was pathetic. No monitor, only WiFi which did not offer any new releases and service was sketchy, lost connection several times. Staff was average, competent, but certainly not $6,000+ of friendly skies. Will avoid flying this airline if at all possible. So not looking forward to the return trip. Would change plans, but united charges $200.00 for any changes.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by T Allen    (Australia)

We flew from SYD to LAX in United Airlines Business Class, B777 service in December 2014. We were quite pleased with the overall experience. The seats proved to be comfortable in the sitting position. They were a bit too narrow though for comfortable sleeping even for a 5'2" woman. In comparison, my wife stated that her recent Business class long-haul flights on Qantas and Emirates had much better seats for sleeping primarily due to the greater width. She found it very difficult to get to sleep on the United seat although she noted that the United seats were more comfortable in the seated position. The length was felt to be adequate. Storage space was minimal but adequate for our needs. TV screens were very generously sized and of good quality. Food service was excellent in quality as well as the attentiveness of service and friendliness of the staff throughout the flight - deemed to be slightly better than both Qantas and Emirates in that respect. Overall a good experience so perhaps United is making effort (apparently successfully) to improve its quality of service in recent months.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by Torwich James    (Ireland)

I flew BFS-EWR on November 3rd and returned December 3rd 2014. United is one of the worst airlines that I've ever travelled with. IFE was broken on both flights, the cabin crew were indifferent and some were down right nasty, the food was horrible. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by R Goralewicz    (USA)

Flew to Cancun in early December from NYC. To return to NYC we arrived at the airport in Cancun more than 2 hours before flight to find the United service desks in complete chaos. The line to check in stretched the entire length of the airport. No one was sure if they were on the right line as the signage was very confusing. No other airline had such problems. Very stressful and unpleasant. Will not fly United to Cancun again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by B Duston    (USA)

I recently returned from a round-trip from Charlotte-Rochester, NY with change of planes in Dulles on the outbound and Newark on the inbound. The trip was fine. Flight attendants on all flights were very professional. Ticketing crew in Charlotte and Rochester were nice. I used the lounge in Newark and was pleasantly surprised. Food was limited to snacks, but that was to be expected (why US airlines do not have lounges with food selections akin to those of international airlines is beyond me). But two unexpected plusses were the presence of showers (which I did not use) and free alcoholic beverages (albeit of limited varieties). Still, the lounge was a pleasant alternative of the hub-bub of Newark. I am a fan of propeller planes and was not disappointed. Both flights in and out of Rochester were on props. I will fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by B Nuss    (USA)

The first leg of our flight was substantially delayed so when we landed in Houston there was no time to eat. Had we known that the next leg was also going to be delayed, we would have just delayed boarding and grabbed something. From Houston to Aruba, the flight attendants were unfriendly and cranky. They began to offer food for purchase only to find that there was only enough food for the first 1/3 of the plane. On this long flight, they only came through the cabin once for beverages. A week later found us at the United counter because one member of our group of three had mysteriously been dropped from the reservation. It took over an hour to get United to see the error. Then, of course, the flight from Aruba to Houston was delayed, but at least we didn't have to wait on the plane this time. Flight attendants were at least cordial and offered beverage service twice. They offered food as well, but we had learned our lesson and ate in Aruba! Late getting into Houston so had to run (again) to catch our next plane for our final destination. The gold has definitely worn off the United name, it's just sad that they have taken Continental (which I used to love to fly) down with them.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 January 2015 by C Roney    (USA)

Right now sitting at LAX on the taxi way for 40 minutes waiting for gate to open - ridiculous. This is after 5+ hour flight from Lihue, HI. This is very poor management.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Patrick Michaels    (USA)

I have been thinking of switching my loyalty from US Airways, where I am a Million Miler. I am a mere silver on United but decided to add some miles on a round-trip from JFK to LAX, with a return through IAH to get a rare domestic ride on a flat BX seat in the internationally-configured 787. Completed the outbound yesterday in a 1 year old 737-900, with 20 "first class" seats. When the FA's started taking meal orders. The FA first goes to a young lady in the seat in front of me and informs her of the two menu choices. He then moves back to my row (4) and asks the woman next to me which she wants. He then looks at me and says he will be back. Then he works the other side of the aisle. He appears to be randomly moving between seats. Finally he gets to me and there is only one choice and he explained they have been instructed to service the FC cabin in order of United priority. In other word, the 16 nonrevenue upgrades get their choice compared to the schmuck without a lot of status who used real money (and not a small amount).

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by S Jordan    (USA)

United has stopped providing complimentary alcohol on international flights. Flight between Asia and US, they put us on a plane with no individual TV screen but the sharing overhead projector TV with pre-scheduled movies during a 12-hour flight. On my recent trip I traveled extensively with Cathay Pacific and Singapore which offers first class customer service to all travelers. I originally chose United based on its extensive hubs domestically and internationally expecting better travel planning and experience. With the increasing routes from CX between US, London, and Asia, and the abundant options of good airlines domestically (Southwest, JetBlue, Virgin), I'd much rather put a little effort to plan my trip than to travel miserably with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by J Harkin    (USA)

I was returning into Houston and catching a United flight from Houston to New Orleans. As usual for United, they cancelled the last flight into New Orleans for "maintenance reasons." Told they could have fixed the problem, but would have had to call in a new flight crew and they don't want to spend the money - it's cheaper to book passengers into a hotel. This has now happened to me and close family members no less than five times in the last couple of months. It has become a routine practice with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by C Palmateer    (USA)

Flew Business class earlier this month, Dulles-LAX round-trip. Seats were better than coach, but not by much. They recline only a little. Staff on the red-eye back to Dulles served a snack immediately, what is the point of that? I just wanted to sleep at midnight! Then they were noisily talking and carrying on throughout the flight, with the galley lights on the whole time. No curtain to block light, no attempt by them to keep their voices down so people could sleep. On the trip from Dulles to LAX, my inflight entertainment system didn't work.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by A Jones    (USA)

This was my first transatlantic flight and it was miserable. Being 6'4" the legroom was not nearly sufficient. Food wasn't worth the calories and lacked all flavor. Staff is indifferent and we left ORD 90 minutes behind schedule. I know it's become cliché to hate on United, but it Really is subpar. I've since flown Aer Lingus, American, Turkish, British and KLM over the same route and all were better (American was a tie, I'd say).

United Airlines Customer review :  31 December 2014 by Breffni McGeough    (USA)

Every winter United Airlines serves up the same "we do not care" service and "Do not even ask us to care" as it's simply more than they wish to even dream of fixing. Every winter flights leave Denver for the 30 minute hop into Aspen. Every year some flights may not land safely and the captain turns the plane around and takes the entire group back to Denver despite having three other airports at lower elevations that would place everyone within an hour to 90 minutes by bus or rent a car to Aspen but they make zero effort to make any contingency plan for this regular occurrence year after year. On the flight return to Denver the air hostess nor pilot make any effort to make any arrangements and at the counter upon arrival of course we wait another 30 min for a gate and the pilot answers are weaker than the air hostess. Then they try to pile all of us like cattle at the one service counter where the zig zag line crawls us through to one sour puss to tell you it's an act of God which excuses every lack of genius displayed on a regular basis. Each and every winter. Useless company #1 Award. I only gave them one star because I had to. Grooming is something else too with hair hanging out all over the place.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by A Van Brunt    (USA)

It's shocking how bad this airline can be. Flying out of Chicago-the United hub-we were delayed 2 hours while maintenance searched for a "no go" part to secure the carts in the galley. How such an apparently essential part was unavailable anywhere on the O'Hare property is unbelievable. It was a completely preventable delay and yet we received no apology from the crew.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by T Wiseman    (USA)

Late into Denver, switched to Late flight to Chicago but they dropped our names off the seating chart so we all had spread out horrible seats, given a motel in Chicago turned out to be a scam, (had to pay for motel), because no more final destination flights until next day. Some very nice service, but mostly very unfriendly, rude, horrible service people work for United. On way back same thing. Two hour delay for final destination and had to get another room waiting for, guess. Which led us to meet another rude service person in customer service dept. So, I will never fly the Un-friendly sky's of United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Bell Greg    (Australia)

I flew United First Class San Francisco to Seattle (Dec 2013), returning Jan 2014. I was appalled at the service, or lack of! No food or drink service at all, and this was in First Class! Ground crew at Seattle were terribly rude, and should not even be employed in the service industry. United is the worst airline I have had the misfortune to travel on!

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by B Aune    (USA)

Sat in 24D on an Airbus 320 from Seattle to Newark. This is a standard aisle seat located on the right side of the aircraft just a few rows behind the over-wing exit rows. It is one of what I call the "back-of-the-bus" seats featuring the new Slimline Recaro seating. In light of the trend by most of the domestic air carriers to squeeze as many seats/rows as possible into their airplanes, the best thing I can say about this seat is that it was adequate in terms of breadth, leg space and comfort. If you are 5' 10" or less in height, or a somewhat taller person with short legs, you will be able to sit in this seat and still have a couple of inches between your knees and the back of the seat in front of you. In other words, you don't have to sit upright and uptight and feel as though you cannot move or are frozen in place. The lumbar support of the seat back is neither better nor worse than any other typical economy/coach-class seat on United Airlines. I do wish that the seat cushion itself was more supportive - it felt soft and thin - perhaps because the density of the foam, filler or stuffing material used is lacking. On a long flight this seat may become uncomfortable and cause you to squirm a bit or want to get up and move around. Seat recline has been reduced and I was only able to move/tilt the seat back about two inches. Fortunately, for me, the middle seat on this flight was empty and that made my specific seat feel less confining and more bearable as I could spread out a bit (likewise for my seatmate in the adjoining window seat of this row). The staff appeared competent and the service itself was decent. The plane appeared relatively clean and well- maintained. Lamentably, there was no in-flight entertainment system whatsoever, which seems to be the trend on the smaller Airbus and Boeing aircraft operated by United. To reiterate my earlier comment, this seat was adequate and tolerable given the trend by the airlines of reducing seat pitch on their aircraft. Stated simply, it represents the new standard in air travel for the average passenger traveling on a budget.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by Lagstein Marvin    (USA)

My wife and I travelled first class from Orlando to Newark recently. We were surprised to see there were no PTVs on the plane. When it was time for meal service, we were told there was chicken dinner or a salad. We both don't eat chicken, so we ordered salads - we were told they were out of salads. Policy for the 12 first class seats - 6 salads and 6 chicken dishes. Out of luck! We had cookies for dinner.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 December 2014 by P Duffy    (Canada)

Orlando to Denver to Edmonton - because we had problems printing our boarding passes, we went to airport, and a courteous member of staff printed off our boarding passes for us. Because of that, today, we simply walked to security and went through. We only had 1 carry on bag each, and one pack sack each. The staff announced that we could take our carry on bag, and they put tags on each of them for us, and we dropped them off at the circle, just as you boarded the plane. Our bags went straight through to Edmonton. Due to technical problems we left about 1/2 hour late, but that was ok. Before we got off, the staff read off the gate of connecting flights. That saved everyone a whole lot of time. We made it to our next plane - had about 10 minutes and that plane had to wait for our baggage. There were other passengers in our position also The staff were excellent. No food except to buy, not staff's fault. No TV's, again not staff's fault. The seats were very comfortable.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by L Spencer    (UK)

LHR-SFO-ACV. Flight leaving LHR cancelled, ground staff at Heathrow rude and obstructive, wouldn't confirm flight was cancelled even though I called United direct who confirmed flight cancelled. United app also stated flight cancelled after 90 minute wait in departure lounge. Transfer to Newark flight, which was then delayed leaving Heathrow as SFO passengers transferred onto this flight. Overnight accommodation provided in Newark. Return flight from SFO-LHR all London based crew, utterly rude and disinterested in the role that they are paid for. 7th flight this year with United, only airline that gets me to my final destination. Crew rude when I walked to the back galley to purchase duty free, told me it was the busiest hour of the flight as were serving breakfast before landing at Heathrow, I only went direct to the galley as message on screen advised 15 minutes remaining to buy duty free. Crew member told me she hated that message and that she would have to come and have a private word with me for purchasing duty free. Flight already booked for Feb 2015, luckily booked with flight miles so know not to expect a great service.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by S Winer    (USA)

Fly the Friendly Skies of United? There's very little that's friendly about United, they have become an airline of lesser quality than the budget airlines of the world. Connecting business class flight from Auckland to San Francisco via LA. The first leg was non-stop on Air New Zealand which was excellent and connected in LA to a business class flight to SFO. When we presented our ticket at the United lounge in LA we were refused entry because it was a business class "domestic" flight but were offered entry as a guest of another person we had met on our flight from NZ. Sadly, the lounge was a worn out mess, nothing more than crackers and cheese slices in packets, Internet access that was just a bit faster than the old dial up connections - nothing like any of the lounges offered by carriers we had flown elsewhere in the world. On the tired, worn plane a minimal offer of chips or cookies and beverages. The worst part is that the personnel seemed tired of being caught between management decisions that have reduced the quality of service to nothing more than a poor commodity and travelers that resent the carrier.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by D Arnold    (USA)

Flew IAH-HNL-IAH in First Class on November 20- 24. I have flown this route several times in the last 15 years and since United took over, the flying experience has taken a serious nose dive. Since this route is taken by people mostly cashing in frequent flyer miles and there are not that many "paying" passengers, United has decided that we do not deserve the amenities that are available on other routes. The first class cabin seats are very uncomfortable and are nowhere near the first class seats of other carriers for long haul flights. The plane had no inflight entertainment and there was not any power ports for charging personal devices - and this was not just first class but the entire plane. If there was another direct flight to Hawaii from Houston on another carrier I would take it. Flying to Hawaii on Continental was a fairly good experience, the food was good and the seats were comfortable even though they did not fully recline.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 December 2014 by Jerry Freeman    (USA)

Booked flight from Newark to St Maarten months in advance - booked an aisle seat and a ctr seat together, United changed our seats to a window in next to last row and a window in the last row with seats that don't recline. Also paid for TV and only had the choice of 4 movies-no TV shows - no free snacks. We will do our best to avoid United airlines in the future!

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

Was happy with the service in First Class on this quick flight from LA to Houston on United's 737-900. Seat was comfy and the food satisfactory. Nothing outstanding but good enough.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Jorge Sanchez    (USA)

I flew with United Airlines to save money but it turned out to be a mistake. I was traveling to Guatemala City from Dallas making a connection in Houston. We boarded the plane then shortly after got off due to a maintenance issue. Not once were we asked if we had a connection flight or explained to how they would help us get to our destination nor did they give us any updates. I had to ask what to do. I was supposed to be at my destination at noon. I arrived at 10.30pm. Similar incident on my return - took me all day. Bad experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by Gilberto Brambilla    (UK)

PVG-LAX and IAH-LHR. Both flights were very comfortable. Seat and food is good. The only issue with the dreamliner (787) is the lack of proper window blinds. On the flight Shanghai-Los Angeles I was near the window facing south, meaning that I always had the sun in front of me. Although the window transparency can be chanced, it cannot be completely darkened, and this is an issue when you want to sleep.

United Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2014 by L Richard    (USA)

Flew United from LAX to IAH non-stop on an aged Boeing 737-700. The flight departed 25 minutes late for no apparent reason (no explanation given). Luggage was still being loaded 25 minutes after scheduled departure. Plenty of people that should have gate-checked luggage were wandering the plane looking for overhead bin space with no help from crew. There was no snack, pay only food options. Nonetheless, the crew was somewhat friendly, passing frequently, even offering warmed up chocolate chip cookies to some of the kids, although some had to share one cookie.

For this 9 hour flight from Houston to Buenos Aires, United uses a very old 767-300 with a 2-1-2 configuration in business class. The seats are the old Continental flat-bed seats which are angled ever-so-slightly towards the window. Although it's a flat bed, the bed is very narrow and at my 190cm I could not stretch out. Felt like sleeping in a coffin! Also, when you have to go to the bathroom, it's quite the operation to step over your neighbour without waking them up. The service and food were OK although the plastic champagne flutes and the character-less dull white dinnerware could be improved upon.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by Perrin Michel    (Brazil)

GIG-IAH-NRT. I succeeded in sending my luggage directly to NRT. No need to pick it up at IAH and then check it again. Flight 1: GIG check-in staff very nice. Lounge (GOL low cost) very poor and packed. Flat seat 9D, very nice. This part of Business class is much more noisy, because close to engines. To be avoided at all costs. FA's very pleasant and smiling. Decent food. Poor drinks. Smooth 9 hours flight, with constant info form flight deck. Surprising wide choice of IFE On time. Had to go through immigration and security in IAH. Lounge staff very pleasant. Food awful. Alcoholic beverages charged (>US10,00 a glass). Fantastic shower, and shower staff. Flight 2: Seat 1L. The best seat on board, much more space, 3 windows, Silent. Same aircraft by coincidence. FA rather unpleasant and rude. Take it or leave it. Very bad food. Horrible Champagne. A nice white Bourgogne that ended after 30 min. At 11.50am lunch was completed, then, believe it or not, no food during the next 12 hours! A tray with 2 types of frozen sandwiches was available, in a corner, self service. United is saving money on a 14 hour flight on food? One hour before landing greasy breakfast. Luggage quickly delivered.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by C Charmaine    (USA)

I may be done with United. Have had gold or platinum status for years but am getting increasingly concerned with linking flying to shopping and spending more money. As much as I hate to give up the three bags, the comfortable lounges in airports, it is becoming too stressful to keep up. I have almost lost respect for the airlines. Shop till you drop seems to be the key here. We are losing miles, we have to spend more, shop more, buy the credit card. No other alliance does what United does.

United Airlines Customer review :  4 December 2014 by K Chharath    (USA)

First off, let me preface that I am not a frequent flyer so I tend to give airlines the benefit of the doubt if there is ever any problems. In the past 6 months, I have flown two round trips with United, one was non-stop and the other had 1 connecting flight. Every single one of those flights were delayed by an average of 2 hours. I would understand if there were weather conditions that cannot be foreseen but all the delays happened in Florida and California, both of which had great weather. I even signed up for text alerts to get notified of these things and my alerts either came in an hour before the scheduled departure flights or never came I'm at all. That defeats the purpose of the alerts because you should to be at the airport about 2 hours prior to your flight. When I went to ask the staff at the counter at the airport, they all seemed clueless and was not able to help me alleviate my concerns at all. Some were even downright rude and short with me. These inconveniences have almost cost me to be stranded at the airport because those my friends and family were not able to pick me up. I am more than furious at the less than poor customer service that United has to offer. I've spent hundreds, probably even thousand, of dollars to travel with this airline but I've failed to receive the proper service and professionalism from their staff and company overall. It is sad to say but I will not be flying with United Airlines anytime again soon. I would rather pay a bit more for other airlines just to ensure that I will receive the kind of service that I should be receiving as a customer.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Rick Field    (USA)

United 1064 on November 25 from Newark to Boston. I think United must go out of their way to design a seat as pathetic as is in row 32 on their 737-700. These are narrow, don't recline and have no legroom. I travel a lot on business. Luckily I generally have a choice in airlines and I wont be choosing United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by N Leblanc    (Australia)

Flew Business class between Australia and California (Sydney to San Francisco, and LA to Melbourne). It was my first time flying Business class as I normally fly Economy or Premium Economy and as such I was looking forward to it. Overall I was very disappointed: food was average, toilets were dirty and did not appear to have been cleaned, difficult to get the staff's attention, staff not willing to smile even when I was smiling at them, meal service was disjointed (on one flight they offered a bread roll and some wine after I had finished my main course, on the other flight they took my glass away for a refill and didn't bring it back), and the staff kept on bumping me when they walked past. The only good thing was the beds lie flat, but otherwise I was very disappointed and I found that the Premium Economy on other airlines is much better (such as Qantas, Virgin or Singapore). I will not waste my money on United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by N Kapur    (USA)

I took a United flight from GRU (Sao Paulo) - IAD (Washington DC) in Business First. When I first came to the airport I saw the flight would be delayed for 5-10 minutes. The flight time was originally 12.05 am but because of the delay it was supposed to depart at 12.15 am. So it was ok. But then after I board, the flight does not leave until 12.40 am because they were waiting for passengers to board so obviously some passengers were late. In Air, the flight crew was nice but they seemed like old United flight attendants to me. So they seemed a little cold to me. But the flight was good and I slept for 4 hours out of the 8 hours. I was glad the flight attendants gave my son the executive dining with out him asking. But the flight entertainment was ok. So it was an ok flight and it was better than the average United flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by Richard Dorn    (USA)

I did my first transatlantic travel with UA premium economy on 11/15/2014 IAH-MUC, 767-400ER. Plane was clean, entertainment systems fully functioning, great service onboard. Food was a bit underwhelming, but it's economy so not much can be added there. Beverage carts made fairly frequent trips. Crew did a good job.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by D Wilson    (Canada)

Don't pay extra for business on United. We just flew United from Vancouver to Oahu, via San Francisco and are now on our way back. We paid the extra for business class - the "breakfast" on our first flight consisted of a scone. On a 6 am flight you don't exactly have a chance to grab a bite before departure. There was WiFi on this flight and it had personal TVs, which are better than nothing, but not quite up to what we are used to with Air Canada. We barely made our connection in SFO - our bags were not so lucky. The next flight had personal TVs, but no Wifi. The latter would have been really useful on the long flight. At least we finally got breakfast. The flight crew was inattentive on both flights. On the way home the long haul flight back to the mainland did not have personal TVs or overhead screens but it had WiFi! That was great for as long as my laptop battery lasted but alas, the old seats had no power outlets or USBs so my joy was short-lived. Both of our seats were not capable of staying in the upright position and would slowly recline. We chose United over Air Canada as we didn't want an overnight flight home. Next time we will go direct with WestJet and cram into their tiny seats in exchange for a direct flight that operates at a convenient time. We wish Air Canada would put back their daytime flight home. In summary - service and amenities on United are inconsistent even in United First. Even when they are at the top of their game, it's all pretty marginal.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 December 2014 by C Piszczek    (USA)

Horrible customer service at SFO. United flight was delayed into SFO from Vancouver so I missed my connecting flight to San Diego. We got into SFO at 11.50. I am still waiting in line with similar stranded passengers at the customer service area at gate 82 where there are two attendants helping 100 plus people. The attendants at the gates will not help us even though there is no line. This is deplorable. SFO is a United hub. There are United employees and gate attendants everywhere and yet there are only two people willing to help all these stranded passengers. I have been stranded many times with many other airlines and have never had such poor service. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Watson Liz    (Australia)

I travelled with United for the first time last week. I was travelling business class and was a little apprehensive. The staff were fantastic, very friendly and welcoming. The food was also very good - on both legs (from Melbourne to LAX). The flat beds extremely comfortable with very soft pillows. Not as many frills and extras as other airlines business class but if you can afford this for a long haul flight - the legroom and ability to stretch and sleep is worth it.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by D Graubard    (USA)

Last week flew ORD-IAH-TYR/SHV-IAH-FLL-IAH-ORD in a mix of 737-900 (updated interior - great), EMB-135, and A319. All mainline jets were in Econ Plus or Emergency Row so leg-room was great. Most flights on-time and service was good. It's so hit and miss with UA as one flight had great service and the next mainline flight was bitter flight attendants. Regional flights were good - flight attendants had personality and very friendly service. Entertainment on some flights and others nothing but a shared screen with a movie released a year ago. Other than the IAH-ORD flight all on-time. Fare was decent so overall a good trip. With UA's new requirements for miles flown and price paid, I won't get Gold Status next year and that will reduce my flying with them more than this year.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Desmond O'Neill    (Ireland)

BOS-LAX, Boeing 757: Had booked Premium Economy for two people 6 months ahead, arrived at check-in in BOS to be told by unhelpful and off-hand staff that 'booking not assured until you check-in', allocated economy for the 6 hour flight and money refunded. Excuse of 'change of equipment' from A319 to 757 not tenable as latter has even more Premium Economy seats. On arriving at gate discover that Premium Economy seats are available but now have to pay an extra $36! Customer service in United completely unrepentant of being asked to pay extra for the distress. Actual seats fine but would not recommend using United for Premium Economy on the basis of this experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Raymond Pratt    (USA)

HKG-SFO. I've always loved the 747 for its speed and comfort. Nevertheless, a 12 hour flight is always a daunting experience but I am happy to say that this flight was wonderful. The multinational staff exceeded themselves and the food was of a standard I was not expecting. All in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the flight, I even got 6 hours sleep too. Good job United and thank you for the pleasurable experience!

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by C Samuel    (Thailand)

IAD-LAX. Paid full fare First Class only to be shocked upon check in at IAD airport that my selected seat was not confirmed. Though UA ground staff at check in counter were quite helpful, they couldn't do anything except asking me to go to boarding gate and wait the problem to be resolved there. I was told UA does overbooking in all classes. I was looking forward to this flight enroute in First Class as I was connecting to BKK hence I wanted to relax. Alas I wasn't able to relax as I had to ask UA team for every 10 minutes for an update. Finally after a long argument with the gate staff I was given a a First Class seat by an arrogant lady who made one feel that she did me a great favor although it was within my right. Nothing special on this full B737-800 flight. Seat was ok with in-seat video but can't recline much. Having been at Jetblue Mint previously ones can't help but compare the value vs benefits.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Saketh Rahm    (USA)

Just flew DEN-LAX-MEL and return SYD-LAX-DEN. I was apprehensive about spending 16+ hours with United internationally as I avoid US carriers for long flights due to overall poor service, I was however pleasantly surprised. All flights left on time with early arrivals. Outbound flight was on new 787-9, aircraft was great and seats in Business very comfortable. Entertainment with wide variety and crew were splendid on this run (old CO crew)- very chatty and went above and beyond for passengers. Return flight the same though crew a little older/colder (UA crew). 777 on return was 2-4-2 in Business which is a little ridiculous but seats were all fully flat. Where United is not up to par is inflight catering- food almost inedible on both routes- wines good though.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by E Hernandez    (USA)

EWR-MEX-EWR. Flights operated with early arrival in both directions. Super friendly on-board staff and top-notch gate people who are all an asset to the United team at both the EWR and MEX stations. The in-seat TV ads come on to annoy you, even if you've turned the TV off. I felt like they should be paying me for constantly having to turn it off.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2014 by Eva Tidnerlewen    (Sweden)

Stockholm to San Francisco USA October 8th. The first plane with Lufthansa from Stockholm to Frankfurt on October 8 was OK. The plane from Frankfurt UA 927 to San Francisco did not start at all and we were all transported to a hotel. The next day October 9 after much waiting I was rebooked to Chicago UA 906 with further connection there. This plane did not start either. Waited on the plane for six hours before it finally left so I missed my connection. A few hours rest and back to the airport in the early morning on October 10. I got the flight to San Francisco nearly two days later than was scheduled.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by Siauw Steve    (UK)

UA 28 / UA 940 - London LHR / Newark Liberty EWR return. Outbound flight with refitted B777. Enough entertainment, friendly, helpful staff, simple food, nice overall. Inbound flight, very old B767, but clean cabin and cheerful, helpful staff. I was quite surprised by this quality actually as I frequently hear bad rumours about flying experience with United. Well done.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 November 2014 by A Clarke    (UK)

LHR/EWR/LHR. B757 out and B767 return. Outward flight was just OK. Inflight entertainment was good and the seat fairly comfortable. The big let down was the crew. They were efficient but showed no personality at all and I did not see a single smile from them. The return flight was disappointing. The entertainment system offered very little choice, was shown on tiny screens and from what I could see quite a few screens, including mine, were broken or were only showing half a picture. Again, the crew were robotic with no personality at all and although efficient they seemed totally disinterested. Unlike other airlines on the route who offer a free bar, only soft drinks are free on United. All in all United seem to be offering a budget almost 'No Frills' service but at the same price as other transatlantic carriers who offer a far better experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by R Goossen    (Canada)

I have flew twice from Denver to Winnipeg in the last month and both times they say that food is offered for you to purchase and both times they had absolutely nothing to offer. I boarded these flights thinking that at least I can buy something onboard as I did not have time to purchase something in the airport! I was not impressed to say the least.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by M Leong    (USA)

LAX-NRT-SIN. First leg was good on the 787. Food was mediocre and made me appreciate Delta and question myself why i wasn't flying DL that was leaving an hour later out of LAX and Staff basically disappeared between services. The seat was comfortable at least, the IFE was not as good as DL due to the smaller choice of movies. NRT-SIN was on a 772. The crew also disappeared after the meal service (which was also mediocre). My sister and I had our seats moved without being told, but we weren't complaining.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by Ihtsham Nissar    (USA)

I have been flying United for the past 6 years from MAN to EWR and to my dismay it is a total and utter shambles. Within those 6 years I have flown as a solo passenger, whilst being pregnant and then with an infant and later with a toddler. I would not recommend them to a single traveler let alone a pregnant one. The only reason we continued to use this airline was due to the fact that EWR has the most quickest and convenient route home. Apart from that there is nothing that is appealing about the airline. The seats are not the slightest bit comfortable, however you are able to slightly move them back to a tilt. I can disregard the seating as almost all airlines are the same, but the cabin crew were obnoxious, rude and definitely did not seem to enjoy their job. Asking for juice was definitely a chore for them. Next time I will not be flying United, too many years of bad experiences.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by John Beasley    (UK)

LHR to LAX return during October 2014. Check-in unavailable on-line and at auto machine at LHR. Had to join queue despite having carry-on bags only. Outbound flight during daylight. Seat fine. Meal average to poor. Headphones fairly useless making it difficult to watch movies etc. Staff good. Return flight overnight complete contrast. Staff polite but charmless. No drinks unless you pay. ie wine $8.99 glass. Food poor. Both flights on time and at £60 less than BA basic but fairly acceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 November 2014 by C Patel    (USA)

Flew from BOM-EWR. Fairly full flight. Unfortunately I was seated next to an already drunk passenger. Crew (very observant) discreetely intervened and rectified my problem in 2 minutes flat. I was seated aisle side with an empty middle seat (rare treat indeed). My go to drink on United is the premium red wine (Meiomi Pinot Noir) a solid value (70% premium over store price, compared to the 500% premium on beers and booze - only the stupid pays $8 for Johnny Red). Unfortunately they were not carrying it on the flight. The super helpful nice lady comped me with 2 bottles of house red with my dinner andthen brought me a big wine glass (yes, a glass and not the flimsy plastic cup) wfull of amazing cab - from the front! andshe brought it one more time before "bedtime". I was floored by the attentive service of the united flight crew. Hope my relationship with United will continue to thrive.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 November 2014 by L Condon    (UK)

London to Orlando via Washington. Terminal 2, fab help at self serve kiosks swift bag drop and security. Boarding efficient. 777-200 comfortable in aisle seat. Inflight service excellent plenty of soft drink runs expected charge for alcohol so had card with me. 3 choices for dinner, lovely green Thai chicken curry with salad and some type of apple cake. FA's disengaged and going through the motions but professional, no extra touches here. However clean cabin and toilets blanket pillow and headphones on all seats on boarding. Inflight entertainment choices very good. Arrived on time connection in Washington smooth. Crew on 2nd flight less interested but so was I by this point! Was just so relieved to be on this aircraft ad not some of the older smaller jets UA are still using on transatlantic routes.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Tara Kulkarni    (India)

My flight was 2 hours late from MSP to EWR and so I was going to miss my connecting Etihad flight to Mumbai. However the ground staff at MSP were very helpful and booked me on a direct United EWR to BOM flight that was scheduled just an hour later than my original flight. However my good experience stopped there. The premium economy seats were terrible. Not enough leg space and the head support wings were not adjustable vertically which meant anyone shorter than 5 feet 8 inches could not use them. Second, there was no complementary alcohol (not even a glass of red wine) available on the 14 hour flight. I was mentally prepared for their standards but was still let down. On top of which I could pay only by credit card for a drink. Considering I was a Indian tourist, the likelihood of me doing this was very low. The food was terrible and both the veg/non veg meals were almost inedible. The air hostesses were not friendly and avoided eye contact. They seemed very put upon by their job. I don't blame them as they probably had to eat the same food as us. I would never ever book this airline voluntarily.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 November 2014 by Gene Adler    (USA)

Flew EWR-HNL-EWR on Oct 24 2014 and returning on Oct 31 2014. The crew on EWR-HNL was quite good. They sure let passengers know that the food available for purchase would be available during entire duration of the flight and all we had to do was come back to the galley. Very important on a long flight with no meal service. They also made sure to go through the aisles with water repeatedly. The crew on the return flight from HNL- EWR left much to be desired.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by L De Caro    (USA)

IAH to DXB via IAD, IAD to DXB 5 hours late, no help from ground staff, I thought that their rules about lengthy delays, evidently not on United, sat in first class lounge for 7 hours. I have never seen such a pathetic excuse for a lounge, the snacks were questionable and the whole lounge is out dated and appears dirty. Cabin staff were clearly annoyed by the delay, imagine I paid for this, my seat area was sticky and dirty, flight attendant was un co-operative when I asked her to clean it. I was never once addressed by my name, the crew clearly thought that they were doing me a favour by even being on the flight. Food was worse than I've ever seen even for a United flight. Fortunately I took my own food, we were told Restroom was reserved for crew, so the 2 restrooms for business class had to serve first class. All food was prepared by bare hands and galley person eat food as she prepared it, also sneezed and even scratched her head whilst preparing food. Other airlines offer pre packed nuts etc. considering the choice of other airlines that fly from the US to UAE United is way behind. Looking at Emirates lounge in Dubai or BA lounge in London puts United at the back of the line. I did arrive in Dubai and so did my luggage but the trip was far from first class and worse still some of the original crew were on my return flight and still equally annoyed by having to perform their duties. Cabin staff are obviously disgruntled and it shows, I wonder what happened to the old continental crews because before the merger continental really wasn't that bad as airlines go. Today's first class on United is not even as good as the old business first on continental. Worse still one of our group who had suffered 15 hours from Dubai to IAD was down graded from IAD to IAH because of over booking. I've learnt my lesson, never again with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by K Smyth    (UK)

Having spent the last 7 weeks travelling around the world business class with various airlines, we were very excited about our business first class flights, firstly Honolulu to San Francisco and then Newark to Edinburgh on our journey home. The disappointment started with entry to the lounge on both occasions where no substantial food was offered. Carrots by the truck load and processed cheese on the tiniest crackers did not appeal so we had no option but to head back out to a food retailer for a sandwich at further expense (having spent £6,000 on tickets already for this allegedly upgraded service). Liquid refreshments are limited with my husband being charged for a third drink when I had not even had one! It would appear that United Airlines Cabin Crew, Bar Staff and Club reception staff attend regular classes in being curt, disinterested or just plain rude! Thankfully waiting staff etc do not and are very pleasant. Regarding the plane itself on both occasions, these were very obviously old and incredibly uncomfortable. Sitting in row 2 on both flights subjected we were subjected to cabin crew slamming doors continuously, chatting very loudly or witness several members chomping on food whilst preparing the passengers meagre offerings. Please, United Airlines take note of all these negative reviews, you are offering a low budget service at a Premium price. Having looked around at the miserable faces (staff as well as passengers I might add!) in Newark lounge as I write this it says it all! We will we making as many friends and family aware of this and I'm guessing the others mentioned will too so I guess "what goes around comes around" eventually.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by D Singh    (USA)

Traveled ORD-PEK-ORD in economy. Very minimal service. Lounge offerings for star alliance gold are downgraded. Not even packaged cookies any more. Complimentary bar is extremely low quality, no complimentary alcohol on plane. In- flight movies are OK. Avoid.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Betty Hrubes    (USA)

Just got back home from an around the world trip. 62 hours of total of flying time. Jetstar was not good but I was really disappointed in United Airlines. Our United leg was a 6 hour flight from Newark, NJ to LAX. I felt the seats were to close together. They give you water, coffee or tea once. That is it. I'm so glad I had some snacks with me. You could buy something if you wanted. For a 6 hour flight they should give you something more. No nuts are anything extra. Really Oh if you wanted to watch a movie you had to pay for that too I will never fly with them again. This flight was booked by a travel agent. I have learned my lesson.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Richard Nash    (UK)

Having recently travelled to and from London to Nashville via Newark on United Airlines I do not understand how this airline is still in business. We had 4 flights with them, one cancelled, one delayed 3 hours, and one with the most rude and arrogant staff. The airline is a disgrace.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Streb Lovell    (Taiwan)

ORD to PSP, via Denver, one way in economy. Both flights on time, in fact the flight to PSP was about 20 minutes early. Planes clean. Staff was very competent. They are really starting to put in noticeably smaller seats.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by P Borgardt    (USA)

First Class round trip from San Francisco to St Louis. The flight over was fine. The return trip was on a Sky West jet! The 4 hour flight had no video, the seats were poor and there was no meal, only a snack box! While I'm sure that this saved United Airlines money, I describe it as a bait and switch. I paid the extra for First Class and didn't get what I had paid for.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by J Evans    (USA)

Flew UA from DEN to HNL in First Class. This is apparently a converted Continental plane with full reclining seats in first class. The seat was very comfortable with plenty of room. The food was decent, although the spinach calzone was drowned in a cream sauce - tasty, but not very healthy. The servers were friendly and helpful although after the meal was served about an hour in, you had to make a request for a beverage over the next 5 hours as opposed to any regular beverage service. I rarely fly first class so maybe they expect you to ask for something as opposed to bringing beverages out regularly? The plane had seatback, on-demand entertainment, which was great, except why is it that the UA webpage is still showing their listings for September and October only?

United Airlines Customer review :  3 November 2014 by Linda Sullivan    (Australia)

Recently travelled from Australia to US and back this included both international (SYD-LAX) and domestic (LAX-BOS) returning LAX-MEL, was apprehensive as had read critical reviews, however my experience was positive in all aspects. Found cabin staff both helpful and friendly, helping passengers with difficulties in placing on board luggage, this was more a problem on the domestic legs probably because people try to avoid checking in luggage and therefore push the limits with carry ons, I note that some Aussie domestic airlines are cracking down on this so perhaps other airlines will follow. Anyhow just wanted to relay my positive experience with United and would recommend them for a good service at good price. Loved the "Dreamliner" on the return flight!

United Airlines Customer review :  31 October 2014 by McDermott Gail    (Australia)

Our travel agent booked our flights within the USA from Australia. Each leg was on United Airlines. I had read previous bad reviews on this airline, but thought we would give them a go. The experience was okay. The staff were fine, each flight was crowded and each time we were down the rear of the plane. There was nothing remarkable about any of the flights, but at least we arrived safely.