United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

United Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Katyare Reena    (India)

Had a very bad experience with United Airlines. While travelling from EWR to MSP, we boarded the aircraft and were kept sitting for 1 hour, then we were told that there were some technical issues so we changed aircraft. Second aircraft also made us wait for one and half hours due to a fuelling issue. Coming back from MSP to EWR, the flight was delayed an hour. I will never fly again with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by J Engels    (Netherlands)

ORD-AMS overnight on B767 in Biz Class, lousy service by uninterested cabin staff, food barely edible. Late departure, late arrival. Will try to avoid.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by E Moss    (USA)

I was supposed to fly direct from Indianapolis to Washington Dulles Sunday Sept 14 on UA3726. When I got to the airport I was advised the flight had been cancelled earlier that day. The ticketing agent said there were no available flights so I was stranded in Indianapolis until the next morning. She was unwilling to offer any hotel or any other compensation. The only available flights the next day had layovers instead of being direct. I took a United flight easily from IND to ORD the next morning. However, the flight from ORD to IAD on UA382 was horrible. We boarded the flight late because there were so many people on standby. Then we sat on the tarmac for over 2 hours because they said they needed to refuel. Supposed to land at 11:39am but arrived after 1.30 pm.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by S Andrews    (UK)

On 21st August this year, my wife and I were to fly United from Heathrow to Chicago and booked in early July. As soon as online check in opened, I found that only five seats were left which meant that we were to be separated during the flight. How were all the rest allocated before the 24hr opening time? The night before we were due to fly out, I received a text message to say that the flight was cancelled. Whilst on route to LHR, a text arrived telling us to check in as normal. At the United desk, we were told that we would be bussed to a hotel for the night. The best compensation they could offer was Economy Plus instead of our Economy seats. On the flight out, the food was appalling. Drinks were served from jugs carried down the gangways in a very unprofessional style by very unprofessional stewardesses. After arrival at Chicago, we thought our problems were over. Whilst in Washington, we went to Dulles Airport to see a United Supervisor to ensure that we could sit together on the return flight on 11th September. The system would not allow her to print boarding cards with seat allocations more than 24hrs before departure, but she printed some boarding cards and wrote the seat numbers on the cards. For the return journey, we arrived in good time at Chicago, checked in, and boarded the aircraft on time to find that we had been given Economy Plus seats. Start up time came and went and then an announcement was made that an electrical fault existed. We waited, eventually, after a delay of approx. 1.5 hours, we were off back to Blighty. The flight through the night was unpleasant due to the aircraft being very cold which made sleeping almost impossible. Altogether, not a very good experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Pat Jackson-Holley    (USA)

UA5260, IAH-LIT. Uncomfortable seats, unacceptable number of delays in Houston. Lack of concern for inconvenience caused to passengers is unacceptable. These tactics are a sign of pure greed. I will make it a point to never fly this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Patricia Knott    (USA)

PDX to MRY round trip Sept 3rd and 10th via San Francisco and via LA. They have consistently delayed flights to/from MRY because they cannot find a plane. On September 3rd, they changed gates twice, making it difficult for a senior to get to. Today, September 10th they are delaying again for the same reason. This means that I'll miss my LA connection because this flight will arrive after the plane leaves that airport. I'm going back to Alaska, they can schedule planes to flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by S Rabin    (USA)

LHR-SFO. Connecting to this flight from Brussels on Brussels Airlines, maybe 4 or 5 folks on this flight going to the SFO flight. Brussels flight late, connecting time tight for LHR (scheduled for 70 minutes, more like 25 with the late flight, and you have to go through security to get to US). Brussels Airlines has not transferred to Star Alliance Terminal 2 yet where United lives, so we had a mad dash across from Terminal 1. Got to gate after going through security-one of the agents said don't worry, they were holding the flight a few minutes for us. (That's good service). As usual, the flight attendants on UA were generally friendly and polite, but are not formal like the European or Asian airlines, which is fine with me. Food reasonably good; had a chicken dish for lunch that was quite tasty actually. Overall, a nice easy flight after working up a sweat running to the gate.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by K Hose    (UK)

I have to say I was extremely hesitant after reading the reviews on this site and due to fly with UA on 22nd August 2014. I had 5 flights covering a 3 week period and flew from Glasgow - Newark- Las Vegas - San Fran - San Diego back to Newark - Glasgow and was totally happy with the service provided to my family and I. We experienced no delays, the cabin crew couldn't have been nicer and the pilots seemed to go out their way to improve passenger comfort. The seating within the plane was large enough in economy and the in flight entertainment was excellent during the international flight to and from Glasgow. All in all I have no issues with any of the flights, delays happen and when they do you have to deal with them its a part of every day travel and I'm sure every airline experiences them. Will definitely be recommending UA to anyone who asks.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by L Spencer    (UK)

Just returned from USA flying both ways with United. 3rd flight this year flying with United to SFO connecting to ACV (Eureka). United is the only commercial airline flying into ACV. Food is never that great, but that's pretty much the norm with most airlines I guess. Inflight entertainment is perfect with personal screens (777 aircraft, if flying 747 then just multi screen). I am a silver mileage plus member so currently gain access to economy plus free of charge which is a bonus, along with the extra benefits of being a silver mileage plus member. Outbound flight on time, three seats to stretch out across which was great. Returning from SFO to LHR all crew London based. The service from the Base crew was the worst I have experienced from any cabin crew. I've even flown US Airways a couple of times in the past and anyone who has flow US Airways will know how scratchy their service is, but even US Airways cabin crew offered better service than what I witnessed from the London base crew with United. Crew looked like they didn't want to be there, drinks service only twice for a 10 hour flight, food awful. Breakfast just a croissant and a couple of chunks of melon, why even bother. Maybe United should send out WYR surveys to passengers and that way they would get a broad idea of a customers experience. However I'm not flying with United for cheap smiles and attractive cabin crew and 1st class service, what I am flying with United for is airline miles, premier service with mileage plus and an airline that can get me to my final destination, the rest is just extra.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Ronald Bryant    (USA)

After two years of planning, I thought I had all my ducks in a row for a trip from the USA to the Australia Zoo north of Brisbane. I even hired a Travel Agency to avoid any mistakes on my part. Boy was I mistaken. August 25, 2014 was finally here. I went to my local airport two hours early (as instructed) and sat there for six hours at the United Airlines boarding gate. We were told the four hour delay was due to the weather in Chicago. Ok, not a deal breaker since I had a scheduled six hour layover in Los Angeles. The ticket agent at my local airport is the only good thing about United. She kept track of my schedule and issued me a new ticket from Chicago to Los Angeles when it became obvious that I was going to miss my scheduled flight. I arrived in Chicago four hours late and promptly went to the United gate for my flight to Los Angeles only to to find out that it also was running four hours late. I found another United flight to Los Angeles and got a standby ticket. This flight was running three hours late. Finally, I actually got to board a United Airline plane bound for Chicago. Now that all the passengers are onboard, the pilot decides he needs to refuel. After maybe ten minutes, he announces that the refuelling truck is broken and that the mechanics are working on it. So here we sat waiting to be refuelled. After maybe another hour the pilot announces he was going to taxi over to the international terminal to refuel. Well, now it's very clear that I'm going to miss my connecting flight and I can't get off this plane. Fast forward - we arrived in Los Angeles at 2.30 am and my flight to Brisbane, Australia left shortly after midnight. I asked the United employee at the gate how to get to the other terminal and she bluntly said the airport was basically closed until 4 am and said I could sleep on the plastic chairs until then. I can't blame anyone for weather delays but the refueling fiasco in Chicago is unacceptable. The rude United employees are unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by K Chai    (Malaysia)

I took a flight from Shanghai to SFO, and onward to LAS. On the return trip, from LAS to SFO, and then to Hong Kong. 1) Old planes - the planes are so old you don't even get your own personal TV. I remember flying in the 1990s to be just like that when inflight entertainment runs over the large monitor in the front. How is anyone near those screens ever going to sleep on the long flights? 2) Food just is bad. You need to pay for alcoholic drinks. Really? You can't price that into the ticket? 3) Check in at LAS is a nightmare. The auto check-in machines don't really work and require a lot of manual intervention from the staff, but there's probably 2 staff serving about 2 dozen machines. 4) Seats are bad.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by L Altman    (USA)

If I could give United Airlines 0 stars I would. United is a horrible airline with awful customer service, unreliable departures, dirty airplanes and rude stewards. I booked my ticket 6 months in advance and was bumped to a different, later flight about a month prior to my trip. I called the airline and was able to be placed on my original flight. The customer service representative offered no sensical explanation as to why I got bumped. I wanted to ensure I would not be charged for their mistake. The representative assured me I would not be. Well that was not the case. On the day of my flight I found out I had double reservations for two different flights and was charged twice. I immediately called customer service to rectify the situation. I was on the phone for over an hour and the situation was handled horribly. I am beyond disappointed and disgusted with their lack of professionalism. As frequent traveler for both personal and professional purposes, I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Traci Greene    (USA)

I used to only fly united but my last trip will be the last tome I fly United. I booked a trip to Las Vegas and the flight was delayed. United re-routed my flight through Delta. Delta offered complimentary TV and snacks, more leg room and I didn't feel as if I was sitting on my neighbors lap. I think United has forgotten about the customer service which used to be the only reason I would fly with them. I will now definitely try other airlines to pick my go to for travel.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by L Collins    (USA)

Flying from Cincinnati to LA at 5.30am - got to the airport about 40 minutes prior to departure - told us we couldn't check our bag (I've flown internationally and have got bags checked with 30 minutes prior to flight and come on - there aren't that many flights leaving CVG at 5 in the morning) however they rebooked us on other flights and we arrived in LA about 1.5 hrs later - ok, not so bad, except that when the ticket agent changed our outbound flights she cancelled my son's return flights and when we tried to fly home - no flights - luckily another airline for the return, but triple connections due to the agent's mistakes. The flights themselves were ok but everything costs extra now.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Constance Marshall    (USA)

After flying from Sacramento to Dulles airport in Washington and then on to Frankfurt, it was apparent why United ranks at or near the bottom in the airline ratings. The Airbus 320 to Washington, a 5+ Hour flight, was brutal. There is no leg room at all, the seats are flimsy and uncomfortable and it's impossible to recline your seat because of cramped space. It should be unlawful to pack that many people into limited space. The flight attendants were tired, surly and unfriendly. We were in Economy, but a row of seats right in front of us were Economy Plus, they were empty on our flight. My husband needed to use the bathroom so I sat down in one of the Economy Plus seats until he finished so I could stretch my legs. An FA quickly came over and informed me I couldn't sit there. I told her I was waiting for my husband etc. She said rudely that I needed to return to my assigned seat. There were many empty seats on this flight, but when people tried to spread out to get more room, they were told no. One man asked if he could sit in one of those seats and was told no because they were Economy Plus. I don't get this attitude. The food was horrendous! There was no food service on the Sacramento to Washington flight, which is inexcusable on that long of a flight. Aegean Air from Istanbul to Frankfurt, a 55 minute flight, served a hot meal - at midnight! There's something wrong with this picture. On the Washington to Frankfurt flight, we were served something called a crostini. It had processed lunch meat and processed cheese. It was so horrible I couldn't eat it. Airline food has never been great but it's reached a new low. United should be ashamed of their service. We won't fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Seah Wy    (Singapore)

I travelled from Singapore to San Francisco only because it was a codeshare flight with ANA (from which I booked my tickets). Inflight entertainment was decent on the 1st leg of the flight to Tokyo, presumably because it has just been upgraded with touch screen high resolution screens. However, inflight service was horrid, if you would even call it service to begin with. Flight attendant lashed out when I returned my tray (I was back from the restroom returning to my seat and thought it would be convenient for us both if I were to hand the tray to him since he was collecting the trays 2 rows before mine). "Can you please wait" with absolute annoyance and utter look of disdain before grudgingly snatching the tray away. The same flight attendant stepped on a pillow (which fell from a passenger's seat) while pulling the trolley and conveniently kicked it aside to the bottom of the passenger seat without a bat of his eyelid. On the food, expect the same food you'll get from a low cost carrier. In fact, you'll be better off with just cup noodles. It was the first time I have seen attendants hand out food without giving you the option to choose, simply because "we ran out of xx option, so this is your only choice". Inflight service was scarce, no one bothered serving water after the meals and before flight landed. On the 2nd leg from Tokyo to SF, there was a huge screen in front which they call inflight entertainment. You have the option to pay a nominal sum for wifi access and watch the movies from your own smart devices. Food was as poor as it can get for an international airline, with poor service all the same. Rude attendants were still present, but I was spared from any lashings this time round (the lady in front got reprimanded for the most ridiculous reason). I asked if I could make an inflight purchase 4 hrs before the flight was scheduled to land and was told the attendant in charge was resting. 2 hrs later, I asked the same question and the same answer was given. Just when I decided I am not going to let United earn another cent from me, that flight attendant finally finished her break right before the plane commenced its descent and asked what I would like to get. Do note that the ratings were made when comparing against the inflight experience I had when I took Cathay Pacific and ANA flights from Singapore to SF earlier this year and last year.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Fritz Brenda    (Germany)

We were on a trip from Newark to San Diego. The nightmare began when we noticed that we (as two friends travelling together) had been assigned seats that were not located next to each other. But we were okay with this. The flight attendants were pretty friendly, but drinks were only served 2 times, and food was not served at all (on a 5.5 hours flight). There was the option to purchase food, but in my opinion it should go without saying that complementary food is offered on a long-distance flight. Onboard entertainment was also not available for free. Furthermore, the TV screens could not be turned off, so we were exposed to continuing advertising, which lasted the whole flight. When we finally reached our destination in San Diego, we were tired, starving and thirsty.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

Not great. Flew Newark to Panama, bare bones service, even have to pay to watch the tiny TV so take an iPad. Minimal service but on time. Transferred to Copa for short flight to Medillin Colombia, seemed like first class! When I arrived I was told the was a problem with my return and you had better sort it out. Copa can do nothing with a 'United booking' so called United in USA to find out. Flight had been cancelled although no email received. Eventually got on economy plus and gone via Houston with tight connection but made it ok. They really just get you there and back without any frills. I live in Asia and in a country with usually great customer service, US Airlines and United in particular, are very basic!

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Allan Sweetser    (Canada)

Flight UA3789, August 27 2014. Boarded an almost new plane that was in pristine condition, comfortable seats (travelling on miles and paid for upgrade to premium seating). Ready for a great flight, left on time. The flight crew were terrible, there were glares from the front of the plane to the back. Almost no eye contact with customers, rude finger pointing. When the snack trolley came by they simply walked past, directed their comments to the air in front of them and continued on - likely very few sales there! When coffee and drinks came by they were already past before we could even request a drink (we weren't really asked you see) and we had to call them back to get a coffee. When I went to the toilet the crew simply jerked their finger at me without saying anything and gestured me into a seat that was vacant to wait. They scowled at everyone. By the time we left the plane the people in the seats behind me, across from me, and the seats near the toilets (I heard them talking as well) were totally turned off by our crew. This was the fourth bad experience I have heard of with United in the past year from co-workers and friends. In fact I have as yet to hear a good experience from any of my colleagues. Also when deplaning they gave out erroneous information. They said that those with connecting flights would have their luggage forwarded and they did not need to collect it. It was wrong in that they do need to collect their luggage to go through customs. Fortunately customs officials were asking people to make sure they had their forwarded luggage. Terrible service. I was flying on miles so the value was great, the plane was new and comfortable, the experience the pits!

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Daniel Glesby    (Canada)

YWG-ORD-YWG: Got to the airport in plenty of time, check in on United App didn't work for me so had to use the kiosk and have by far the United kiosks take the longest to fill out. Line up through security was long and slow due to only one lane being open (obviously not United's fault but still frustrating). United flight to and from Winnipeg are seldom on time and either delayed or cancelled probably about 70% of the time. It was no surprise to me that it was delayed an hour and a half. Ended up landing in Chicago about 2 hours late. On the way home mobile check in worked and the whole experience was positive. Got to the gate and seeing my flight was on time was too good to be true and it was. It moved gates and was delayed 40 minutes. Both flights were on an E145. I knew it was going to be snug so I can't really complain since I knew what I was flying on. Both flight attendants were pleasant. Overall I will not fly united anywhere other than Chicago or Denver and I'm even hesitant to fly United to those cities non stop.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

SFO-MSP-DEN-SFO. I was pleasantly surprised on all legs by the genuine friendliness and interactivity of the crew. I have often been critical of UA regarding their crew attitude but this was entirely the opposite and made the trip far more pleasant. Due to status, I was upgraded to F from MSP to DEN. A nice bonus.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by C Kim    (USA)

Come on United, you need to step things up! While others are proceeding forward since their merger and around the globe, I feel that UA has remained stagnant in their old ways. The club in LA is just abysmal with the lack of any proper amenities. My recent fight from Los Angeles to Seattle experienced an hour delay and there wasn't any proper dine for sale option though the flights departure was around dinner time. The service standards were one that provided no less or more of what was to be done. I really wish there was a better alternative to United for Star Alliance members to travel domestically on.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Nathan Yu    (USA)

UA977, DXB-IAD, "Businessfirst". Check in and boarding were smooth, professional, and efficient. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of this flight. Food was mediocre at best. Filet was well done, and not done well. Smoked salmon appetizer and salad were disappointing-small in portion and bland. Passed on dessert. Lie flat seats were coffin like in a flat position. Service was spotty. Honestly, I can't understand this legacy carrier. Emirates' CEO was right when he said his economy product was better than most carrier's business class. A total disappointment, but shouldn't have been surprised. Switching to Emirates in 2015.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Spence    (UK)

MAN-EWR, 24/8/14, Flight UA80. I have never experienced a flight in which the crew have seemed almost desperate to pick a fight with passengers! I'm sure they were all tired and keen to get back home, but aren't they being paid to attend to the needs of passengers? As well as the staff being incredibly surly, I was amazed that they chose to serve a chicken dinner at 10.30am in the morning! They can't even use the rationale that they were working on the destination time zone as we were flying to the US and it would have been 3am there! Luckily the food was absolutely inedible so it wasn't an issue in the end.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Chestnut    (USA)

ATL-ORD-LAX, 27 Aug 14, UA3542. United likes to change your itinerary at the last minute. My reservation was ATL to LAX thru Denver when made, but when I went to check in I was routed through Chicago. It was an agonizing trip lasting much too long. United doesn't even give you basic, horrible airplane music or rerun TV episodes. You have to pay for everything. Bad business. Not flying United for a year or 2. Maybe, never.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Cynthia Chase    (USA)

Unless you want to have hours of intimate contact with a stranger, do not fly United! I am a small women in my 60's. United's seat size just fits me. I was in a window seat, when a medium-large gentleman, a little round around the edges, sat next to me. This man was not obese. He overflowed his seat enough that every time he moved, we were shuffled together from butt to knee. I put up with it for half an hour and then excused myself to the aisle. I paced in the back of the plane for an hour. The attendants were serving whatever they serve, and saw that I was near hysteria at the thought of returning to what awaited me in my assigned seat. They did find a solution eventually. A United employee was flying coach, and they switched me out with him. But the new seat was only 3 rows in front of the gentleman who had been next to me, and he had to watch this seat change, knowing his size overlapping mine was the cause. These conditions are set up by United in planning an aircraft with seats that are way smaller than the human population of these times. They know this, and leave it to their flight attendants to deal. Other airline carriers are tight too, but I have heard and witnessed that United is the worst.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by N Miller    (USA)

SFO/IAH/SJO (San Jose Costa Rica) /IAH/SFO in First on domestic, Business on the international flights - 737-900 and 737-800 - pleasantly surprised by the service, which was almost perfect (only 1 FA on 1 flight was rude when I was forward enough to ask about whether there would be dessert). New lounge at SFO is still pretty bad considering it's a UA hub and supposed to represent the USA to the Pacific Rim, but it was adequate (although be warned the bar closes at 10.30pm sharp, not so good for those of us on midnight flights). Food on 1 flight also not so great (overdone tasteless steak), but otherwise good - I think they serve starbucks coffee because it tasted so burnt I could only drink 1/3 cup even though we were going on 30+ hours with no sleep by the time we were landing in Costa Rica. All in all we were happy with the flights, unexpectedly so given some prior experiences with the carrier.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by TK Hill    (Vietnam)

IAD - SAV in August. Flight was on schedule both ways, which, I gather, is unusual. The CRJ 200, equipment designed to be uncomfortable, was pretty scruffy around the edges. Non stop on this route is convenient. I fly Asian carriers where I live. The FAs, while maybe not as professional as they might sometimes be, are always friendly, well turned out and exquisitely polite. Those on the flights I take back and forth to the US are even more impressive. So imagine my surprise when, arriving at the top of the gangway, I was greeted by the assigned FA's not inconsiderable rear end. Have good manners been unbundled from the basic ticket price also?

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by P Droar    (USA)

Aug 26, UA 1683, SFO EWR. On time departure and arrival. Younger crew members more friendly than the older ones. Regular runs through the cabin with water. Captain gave regular updates. Direct TV a nice option. UA hub to hub flights seem to work more effectively than connections, especially those through EWR and ORD. Bad weather at EWR causes major problems for all airlines operating to/from there.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by N Brown    (UK)

My wife and I booked a flight through last minute.com it was really a last minute thing because we had to be in Auburn by the 22nd August 2014. We got a flight for the 21st August which involved a couple of stops. The flight was from Birmingham UK stopping at Newark NJ and then at Washington Dulles then Syracuse (outgoing). First the flight was supposed to leave Birmingham at 09.00hrs, that left 3 hrs late due to technical trouble. Got to Newark NJ so late we missed the 14.50 connection to Washington Dulles. They then booked us on another flight from Newark to Syracuse that was leaving at 21.04hrs that never turned up until about 22.30 and because there was a little downpour of rain the flight was delayed it had never left Attica. We went out on to the tarmac to board the plane and was confronted with a plane that looked like something from the Fred Flinstone era. This was a tiny DHC8 turbo prop plane and we were buffeted around like a roller coaster. So for that trip we were delayed for about 12 hours. Not even a cup of tea or a glass of water was offered to the passengers. The way back was even worse, we were supposed to leave Syracuse at 19.10hrs on the 2nd September 2014. Next thing you know, the rain started to fall again, flight cancelled for 24 hours. We had to spend our own money for a one night stay in a hotel. So instead of going from Syracuse to Washington to Brussels to Birmingham we now had to go from Syracuse to Washington to Dublin then Birmingham. I won't be travelling with them again or recommending them to anyone.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by P Droar    (USA)

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Jezrel Sabaduquia    (USA)

JFK-SFO. Ground staff at JFK could not have been more helpful. We had a connection to NRT with ANA and our reservation had some issues but it was efficiently solved by the staff and our luggage was directly tagged to NRT, avoiding luggage fees despite being on two separate reservations. Flight was ahead of schedule both departure and arrival. Service on United has always been warm, friendly and efficient. I'm a big fan of their service and never had an issue. While they are not as polished as most Asian carriers are, they are interactive with the passengers and their service makes you feel at home. BOB options were extensive and quality was excellent. They also did frequent beverage runs despite only being a 6-hour flight. IFE system is wonderful, the movie choices were great and most of which are recent Hollywood movies. The system was responsive, easy to use, and the moving map was of excellent quality. Overall, a very pleasant flight with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Coles    (Hong Kong)

I took a flight from Hong Kong to Newark. Appalling from the moment I stepped on the plane. The staff were very unwelcoming. My seat was behind the exit row which was empty - all the row was empty and seeing as I was sitting between a family who had been split up because of the shoddy seating arrangements we asked if we were able to use the exit row. The response (in an aggressive tone) was no! If you want to sit there, its now been designated premium economy, its an extra USD 170 each and you can pay by credit card! Note that this in the economy / coach section. The stewardess then made a big deal of slamming down all the dining trays on those seats as if to "seal off the section" - it all made for an incredibly unpleasant start to the flight. Aside from the small seats and lack of leg room, when dinner came round I politely requested a cup of tea. The cup of tea was passed to me without any milk or sugar. I politely asked for milk and sugar. She stopped - glared at me and snapped - "well you could have told me that when you asked for the tea". By this stage, me and the family I was sharing the row with were finding the staff so rude it was verging on comical. Then to top it off, having spent thousands of dollars on this flight I learn that there is no free alcohol. Don't get me wrong I can go with out a drink for 16 hours but its a small touch to offer an alcoholic beverage as part of the service. Anyway an absolute shambles and I shall not make the same mistake of flying with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by M Blank    (Germany)

On July 3 we were bound for intercontinental flight from SFO to FRA. Departure should be at 2 pm and was announced for 6.45 pm. After some more trouble boarding started at 8.15. After a tour on the airfield the plane came back to starting point. At least we departed with a delay of nearly 8 hours. The gate staff was completely stressed with the amendment of connecting flights for other passengers. No customer voucher were given, no telephone calls offered, no service at all.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Steven Grapperhaus    (Japan)

We are a Star Alliance Gold family. We purchased Economy tickets from NRT-IAH-FLL-SCE-IAD-NRT but I later upgraded to BusinessFirst, with cash. The cash upgrade cost $1,400 each. On the NRT-IAH leg, the first thing that I found odd was that the FA literally threw the tablecloth to/at me, at the beginning of dinner service. I think he just didn't care, because throughout the flight, his demeanor was cold. Small things like my wife's request for water without ice were met with the glass of water with the biggest piece of ice in it. The seat was great, the food was about what you'd expect at a family restaurant, and I'm ok with both of these things, but I really had to wonder, don't people who pay to fly premium deserve at least not passive-aggressive”service? I guess not. The NRT- IAH departure was an hour late, due to weather. We were not able to make our connection at IAH. I bet United Airlines could have helped expedite passengers (through immigration/customs/re-checking) with tight connections. Our IAH-FLL departed while we were waiting for our bags. I informed the UA rep at the baggage claim and he told me they'd rebooked us on the next mornings 06.40, IAH-FLL. I asked if I could get a meal/hotel voucher, but he informed me that since it was a weather delay, UA couldn't take care of us. We feared that we might oversleep the 06.40 flight, because of the jetlag. I called UA to ask for another booking, and though there were 4 IAH-FLL flights that day, our only options were 06.40 or 20.00 departure. Their website revealed open seats on all flights, but the rep explained to me that those were first class seats, and we weren't eligible for them. The weather delay on departure was caused by a typhoon. IAH is also known to be quite poor at handling international flights. UA made the decision to sell NRT-IAH tickets with a 1.5-hour buffer, nonetheless. Maybe it's my fault for buying it, but at any rate, rather than stay up all night or lose yet another day with my family, we accepted a better-timed flight to MIA. Our business with UA resumed two weeks later for the SCE-IAD-NRT return to Japan, we took another carrier for our FLL-MBJ and MBJ-ATL-DTW-SCE trips. I mistakenly placed a bottle of honey in my carry-on, which was picked up by TSA at security. I figured that if I couldn't get to my bags, I could box and check it. I saw my bags were already gone, so I waited at the side of the check-in line, and figured I would wait until they announced last call for SCE-IAD. The desk rep soon did so, and I politely explained, “I'd like to get this in to my checked bags.” The man was the portrait of hypertension and stress. He acted as if the world were about to end. Eventually another rep nicely asked me to go get a box from the store across the hallway, and I did, and when I came back, the stressed-out rep acquiesced, and while printing the tape/tags, repeated over and over “ The flights boarding/you've got to get on it/it’s leaving.”The flight was just starting to board. I am writing this onboard IAD-NRT. We've decided that we won't fly UA again. We’ll pay more to avoid it.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

This 80 min United Express flight from Nashville to Washington, D.C. was on an ancient CRJ200. The window frames were caulked, the overhead bins had chipped edges and the seats ripped. The equipment certainly doesn't represent the United brand in its finest light.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Joel Henderson    (USA)

My two children and I had a flight booked from Albany to Portland Oregon changing planes in Newark and Houston. I received my first delay notice via email at 10.16 due to late inbound aircraft arrival. The second one came at 4.39 pm while we were at Newark Airport due to same reason, however my children and I watched the plane arrive. The plane had tons of cargo underneath. Not just baggage, but tons of commercial boxes. Our plane which was originally supposed to take off at 5pm for Houston did not take off until almost 7pm, which put us in Houston at 9.30 a half hour after our plane left for Portland. That was just the beginning of our frustration. As I got to the gate and went to ask the United Airline attendant about connections, she said "see the guy down there and he will help you with connecting flight." She was just telling us what we needed to hear to get us out of her way. By the time I got to customer service at 9.45, United Airlines customer service workers were dropping like flies among a mob of very unhappy people. We are talking 10pm people at one of America's busiest airports. 10.30 I finally get with a customer service worker who gets me food voucher's, taxi voucher's and a hotel voucher for a best western 25 minutes away from the airport. She said "grab some food around the corner". All food venues were closed. We walked down to ground transportation and were informed only yellow cabs accept taxi voucher's. Finally got a cab and made it to the hotel at 11.30. In short, lies and terrible customer service. The cargo was more important than the passengers and the customer service was horrible. I guess I'll never fly United again and given the amount I travel, that's a loss for them.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by K Sobkowski    (USA)

Flew from SEA to AMS via ORD on July 12. Both flights arrived ahead of schedule which was welcomed since I had only 45 minutes for transfer in Chicago and 48 minutes in Amsterdam to catch inter EU flight. Service basic but good, flight attendants offered beverages very frequently and food served on transatlantic flight was OK. My bags joined me a day later at my final destination, but it was not UA fault. As a Silver status holder I still appreciate upgrade to Economy Plus, but with new regulations for earning points in 2015 this seems to be harder to get in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by R Frieden    (USA)

As I near one million miles with this airline I marvel at the abuse I regularly endure. 1/3 flights have some irregularity in part because I live in a community served by UA Express. Regularly UA cancels flights nearly always on the pretext of weather. The UA rez engine never seems to find me the next available flight despite my Premier Exec status. The last 2 cancellation reported at 4.17 am for a 6.27 departure (SCE-ORD-YUL) didn't see anything available until 8.30 pm with an overnight at my expense. I called rez and got a 1pm departure after a wait list failed. 0 customer care for a loyal flyer.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Aba Meha    (USA)

I started off from Seattle to Ottawa. Flight was delayed by more than an hour in Seattle b/c of a "technical problem." Then I was stranded in Chicago for hours before I got to Ottawa after 2pm. I was supposed to get to Ottawa approximately at 9:30am. On my way back, a week later, I got to Ottawa airport at 4am for my 6am flight. We were told flight was canceled due to a "technical problem", and I was asked to come back at 2pm. I had to argue with them to get me the 11.45 flight to Chicago. Stated in Chicago for hours, then arrived in Seattle close to 6pm. I was supposed to be back in Seattle approximately at 10.30am. To be fare, they provided us two $8 (Canadian) food vouchers. However, I will never rely on United Airlines to get me to my destination on time, and I will never fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Carole Hoffman    (USA)

Left Houston for Milwaukee after four flight delays! Return flight - I was delayed another four hours in Houston without explanation and no vouchers. Next time - American Airlines. Another dissatisfied customer!

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Matthew Blackett    (UK)

TPA-ORD-LHR: terrible. I know you get what you pay for but I still expect more than this for what was mainly a transatlantic trip. The TPA-ORD leg was the usual 'bus' service you get used to for US domestic trips but the international leg was beyond terrible. The aircraft was old - decor of a bygone era. The TV screens were the sort I remember for a decade ago - tiny, no personal controls. The food was stingy and poor quality (a slab of meat resembling a chicken breast at some time in the past). The cabin crew were surly and long past retirement age (who knows what would happen in an emergency). Surely they could stump up at least one complementary alcoholic beverage like other transatlantic carriers. Next time I'll pay more for a much superior service. This is the budget airline of the Atlantic.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by AJ Bolton    (USA)

Paid high premium for last minute flight. Wasn't given a seat assignment because no coach seats were left and only seats toward the front, which they charge $84 to sit in, were left. Got seat assignment at gate, back of the plane. Received lowest Group Boarding number because the gate agent said they order group number based on where you sit. Windows higher, middle lower, aisle lowest. But if you fly stand by you get to set in premium seats with better group number, getting a better chance to have overhead space, because no one wants to pay $84 just to sit closer to the front of the plane, which gives you a better group number. Other airlines are based on more you pay more you get. Was already paying max for flight, way more than rest because time constraints, than other passengers. United does not care about their customers, gate agents are mostly grumpy. They have some of the shortest leg room of most carriers.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by G Stoykovich    (USA)

MUC-EWR-MUC, Aug 2014. Purchased very expensive summer tickets online at Lufthansa.com, all the way being led to believe the flight was operated by LH. Only realized it was United after paying the ticket. 1) Pre-ordered special meal not available (although chosen when purchasing ticket at Lufthansa.com). 2) In order to select seats had to go to United.com after purchasing tix at Lufthansa.com. 3) In-flight entertainment had no sound on the MUC-EWR portion of journey. 4) Alcohol on board available only for cash? 5) Online boarding passes not available for either flight - never had this problem with Lufthansa, Swiss, or any other European airline! 6) EWR airport Terminal C is the worst ever seen, nothing to do and bad food available only after the security checkpoint. 7) Check-in procedure at EWR: a huge and completely empty section of United check-in reserved for "premium" passengers (for all 12 of them). 8) Economy passengers check in a cellar, at "self-service" terminals overseen by only a handful of employees, slow, inefficient, overcrowded. If Lufthansa is serious about its Star Alliance ratings they should revise the membership of third-rate airlines.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Tumey Charles    (USA)

I fly 3-5 times a month domestically and internationally. My most recent flight was from Houston Texas to Mexico City. I must say that in 20 years of air travel I have never experienced a flight attendant crew as unprofessional as the crew on that plane. They were very short with passengers! The over head bins were full and they asked that stored our bags under the seats in front of us. I am 6' 2", the new planes have even less room to fit your legs and feet. Once you bag goes there where are you to put your feet and legs? Keep in mind all I had was a computer bag. I was sitting mid plane in an aisle seat, I asked if there was any room up further for my computer bag - "No if you don't like it the next flight in 3 hrs is less full if you would like me to arrange it for you". This was the reply in a very threatening tone! A few moments later I watched the same scenario happen to 2 more passengers with the same consequences. Very unprofessional atmosphere! This atmosphere and overall attitude seems to be becoming the normal for United. Flight #431, departed Houston 8.55am, arrived Mex City at 11.10am.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by S Loomis    (USA)

Another cancelled flight! I can't remember the last time a United flight took off on time. Unfortunately, I live in Chicago and take them a lot. 2 cancellations in 2 months. They gave me a few points for the last cancelled flight. Big deal - I have to use them on United. United is so horrible that they actually tried to charge me for scheduling a flight in place of the flight they cancelled! Can we get trains to go Chicago to New York? Boston? It would be wonderful, just like going from Amsterdam to Brussels to Paris. United has ruined travel. What a mess.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by J Arciaga    (USA)

I flew a 747 in first class from San Francisco to Seoul Korea. For a 13 hour flight, I was expected to be tired when I reached my destination. However I was wrong. When I entered the aircraft I was immediately asked what beverage I would like as well as providing hot towels. The crew were very nice and gave us hand written Thank You notes for my business. The food was better than I expected it to be. They served so many appetizers before the main course that I was full. I was so surprised when they asked if I would like ice cream, and customized it with toppings right in front of me! If you were hungry between meals there is a walk up bar that has fruits, snacks, wraps, desserts, etc. The IFE had a huge screen and had all the newest Hollywood blockbusters, tv shows, music, and games. The seats were really comfortable as they had the option to put them 180 degrees so that you can sleep (the armrests automatically go down as the bed reclines) and can sleep comfortably for a tall person. They also had plenty of plugs that accepts USA and other countries plugs. The seats have plenty of storage however found it odd that flight attendants won't allow you to stow things under your seat. I slept right after the Meal service and was woken up just in time for breakfast. I couldn't believe that I could actually get sleep on a plane! It was a great experience flying United and would definitely fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Liu John    (USA)

I only had two to three on-time flights from April to June out of more than 10 flights. My flight from Chicago to PVG got cancelled after sitting in the cabin for more than 3 hours in July. Yesterday, my wife and son took same flight (UA835) and got delayed by 5.5 hours. UA staff on board were very rude. I will never fly United Airlines.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by C Murphy    (USA)

Gate agents are rude, flights constantly delayed with no regard to connecting flights and mostly for "crew availability." Our most recent disaster was trying to get home to KC from San Antonio. First flight delayed putting us in Houston an hour after our connection was to leave. Had to call to find another flight since they offered no alternate options. Once in Houston the flight out was delayed twice due to "awaiting aircraft," a third delay due to "crew availability," and at 10pm was finally cancelled, conveniently, due to "weather." Which of course relieves United of any lodging responsibility even though the initial delay which caused this fiasco was fully their fault. Was traveling with my 11 year old son, had no access to our luggage and ended up with a $361 airport hotel bill. They did finally do one thing right in the end that I have to give them credit for, when they rebooked our cancelled flight for the next day, they put us on Delta.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by C Lyttle    (USA)

I had to fly for business to Springfield, IL. United offered the best deal on this flight. We flew from Orlando to Chicago on an Airbus A320. Exit row, very comfortable, nice staff. Flight out of Chicago was delayed 3.5 hours, but staff handled it well. After the delays, we had a hydraulics issue, and had to return to the gate. The flight attendant on board the CRJ-200 aircraft was phenomenal and helped us with anything we needed. She was very professional, and great at helping us arrange things for arrival in Springfield. This was my first time flying United, and even though the delays were outstanding, staff were wonderful at handling it.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by J Smith    (USA)

I was flying CVG-ORD-LHR. Had an onward very good flight to Mumbai with Jet Airways. CVG-ORD flight was alright. Small aircraft, not much of a problem as it was a short trip. It all started once we reached Chicago. After landing, we waited in the aircraft for more than an hour. I reached my gate and asked the United staff about my plane. They clearly said that it was on time. So, I go, eat and come back, and my flight is cancelled! I asked the same staff member again, and she says I have to contact customer service. They tell me that there is another flight in 2 hours and they will transfer me. Told there are only middle seats in the middle row left! Th4 flight was delayed by an hour again and I was sure I would miss my connecting flight. Onboard, the seat was very narrow, no leg room and me being a vegetarian, my special meal did not get transferred onto this flight. The staff were rude, no smiles and hated being even asked for water. The entertainment was the worst I have seen! 4 channels, 4 fixed movies, one on each and they all start at the same time. Absolutely no value for money. As we finally, after 8 hours, land in London I had just 25 mins to go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 to catch my next flight, so ran throughout, no option and was one of the last people to catch the plane. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by B Porter    (USA)

I was flying recently from Lincoln, NE to Chicago, IL. This flight goes back and forth between the two cities multiple times per day. The Lincoln airport also houses Delta and only has four gates, so it is very small. The first flight left Lincoln and made it to Chicago with no problems. As the flight was coming back to Lincoln, from Chicago, it was diverted to Kansas City, MO, in which the staff members told us that it is too "foggy" to land in Lincoln. What was upsetting was that our flight was delayed three hours and there was not any fog in the area. In fact, there was partial sunshine the day of our flight. The staff did not even apologize or attempt to assist the customers who had connecting flights in Chicago. Once on the aircraft, the flight attendant was very rude and demeaning. For example, we were at the back of the airplane, and we did not even receive a beverage before we landed, in which the flight attendant told us that we did not need one because she ran out of time.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Tracy Willner    (USA)

My husband, myself and 3 year old was supposed to fly out the 12th of Aug at 6.10pm. Our flight was delayed 3 times. Then we were told now we had to stay the night at Richmond airport or at O'Hare. We had a choice. We decided to just go home and come back to the 7.45am flight. We got the airport at 6am and was told our flight was delayed until 9am but our connecting flight took off at 9am. So at this point we had no flight out of O'Hare. The airline told us we could sleep at O'Hare on the floor for 7 hrs and couldn't promise a flight out. We did change to American Airlines but did have to wait 5 hrs for that flight. We slept on an airport floor until we left. But no issues after we got off of United.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by S Whis    (USA)

Flew from Dulles to Brussels on what was described by crew as "a better option than Dulles to Newark to Brussels" and then were left in Belgium with no baggage and no attempt of help from United. We ended up going to Morocco from there and were helped by both Air Maroc and the Belgians. On the way back to the U.S. we were then bumped from our flight due to United giving away our pre-booked tickets to another family. They then complained to us that we were late, when we were in fact 3 hours early.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by P Stephenson    (USA)

Horrible experience on a Tuesday night flight, United flight delays because of some rain from Charleston WV to Chicago caused me to miss flight to Memphis. United only rebooked flight the next day. No offer to put up in hotel. Had to stay in the airport and just sit for 9 hours waiting on the next flight (which got delayed too). It took over 19 hours to go from Charleston to Memphis. I should have taken a Greyhound bus, it would have been much cheaper and faster. Horrible service, they simply don't care. Never will fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Kandace Young    (USA)

My husband and I went to Cozumel from Dallas and back with United. The night before out flight I tried to check in and on one of our flights the only way to get to claim seats was by paying 40$ per person. Ridiculous as I had booked the flight months ago. Departing there was a 40 min delay due to "lack of personnel" but as we were boarding the pilot came on saying there was no reason for the delays and that the crew were all there. On the way home the same issue of not being able to claim seats without paying. Then on the way home we had a delay once again from Houston to Dallas. The first delay was due to "awaiting aircraft" and it was 50 min, then we boarded the plane 15 mins late due to delayed customers, then a final delay of 45 min due to operations. Absolutely ridiculous, especially as I paid 100 dollars more for an earlier flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

Flying on this United Express service Embraer RJ 135 from Houston to Nashville was a very claustrophobic experience. Being 190cm, when I walked in, I had to seriously bend over for the ceiling is very low. The 2-1 seating configuration is a good indicator of how small and narrow the cabin really is. All-in-all, felt like flying in a cigar tin can. These regional jets are not my favourite, yet they seem to be getting more prevalent in the United network.

First class on this new 737-900 seems to have more leg room than what I recall from the old first class. Add to that the comfy seats and the experience is quite OK. This 3+ hour flight from San Francisco to Houston had a much improved service - the United staff finally seem to be having some fun and are proud again of their airline. It shows. Besides the service, the meals have also improved. There are more healthy choices, such as a salad with grilled chicken and fresh toppings, chicken wrap and the likes. And then there are those sumptuous warm chocolate cookies that they serve at the end. This flight had not IFE so I resorted to using my iPad and paid for the very inexpensive inflight wifi service. I was shocked how great the wifi onboard worked and for only $2/hour. This is a game changer.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by David Hunt    (USA)

I have been flying JFK to Dulles now for 4 weeks on the Friday 2.29 departure. It has never left on time and is generally 1 hour late. On Friday 8/8/14 it left 3 hours late. On two occasions the problem has been mechanical. One time because we needed to put more fuel on as we were given a new flight route. 140 mins longer than originally planned. I guess we were cutting it close before the re-route. All in all it is a bad flying experience. Their tag line should read "you would be better off driving".

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Lin Jing    (USA)

My wife and son took United Airlines this summer back form China and transfer in Newark airport. The connection flight and last flight of the day was cancelled due to thunder storms. During the time they waited for their next flight, United Airlines did not provide any accommodation, they has to sit in gate area seats the whole night until next day. A horrible experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Nijjar Parminder    (Canada)

Horrible experience flying with United Airlines. From Calgary to Orlando two flights and no snacks provided. My kids were so upset not having any entertainment. TV did not show any channels unless you pay with your credit card. Snacks, only if you pay. Missed a connecting flight and delayed due to weather. Waited in line for 3 hours and then boarded. Still no complimentary snacks provided to passengers. No taxi voucher provided due to missed flight. I had to pay more than $200 USD to taxi and I stayed in hotel for only 5 hours. Cost me more time and money to stay for those 5 hours. When I went to board the flight I was told only 2 members of my family could board, they did not have space for all four. Options I was given was to connect to flights to different cities which would cost me more time. Paid over $160 for baggage. I will make sure no one in my family fly with this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Marcela Martinez    (USA)

The second time United Airline had failed me. The first was on October 2013. This review is about my last flight in August 14. I was flying from Houston, Texas to LAX. There was a storm near Texas and we were delayed about 2 hours. I understand there are natural disasters out of the airlines control. The problem is how these situations are handled. First, one of the flight attendants seemed annoyed by people asking if they could use the restroom and get some water. The other flight attendant was very nice and she tried her best to accommodate peoples needs. Once we were in the air they started selling food to people about an hour into the flight. I have a gluten free restriction and they had very limited options. I wanted the cheese plate with grapes and chocolate and they sold out! That was pretty much my only option. Finally we arrived to LAX 2+ hours late and the gate didn't work. So we waited once again to be let out. Finally it was time to go get my luggage, which was taken from me in Texas because there was no more room for my bag. I was the last one on the flight because they had a computer glitch and they couldn't find my seat. It took them about 20 minutes to fix the problem. They didn't tell me if I should wait by the door or go to baggage claims once I arrive at LAX. Once I arrived at LAX I tried asking about my luggage but there was big lines to talk to someone. There seem to be many other problems last night. Finally I asked one United flight attendant and with an attitude she told to go to baggage claim. I told her nobody had explained to me where to get my bag and she was annoyed with my questions. I had flown in other airlines were my luggage was given to me once I exited the plane! It was a legitimate question. Once I was in baggage claim they had about 5 different places two pick up luggage. 3 out of the 5 screens was broken. I asked another Inited employee where I could get my luggage and again with an attitude she said "Obviously it's right there can't you see it?". I told her their screens are broken so no I can't see it. Most United Airline employees are rude, disrespectful and not helpful. They seem to hate their job. Unfortunately, this is the 2nd time I have such a horrible experience with United.