United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

United Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Michaud Veronique    (Canada)

This is the second time I have flown United. The first time was without incident. Great trip just lots of stops. This time however, the plane I was getting on in Albany was late arriving and thus we were late taking off. This resulted in our flight arriving in Newark too late to catch the connection flight. Not only was I now delayed a day but I was told by the airline that I would likely have to travel to LaGuardia by bus or taxi but they would not cover the cost. This is insane. Also the airline did not seem to have any thought of giving a discount. I purchased a service and the service was not provided. In any other industry, I would not pay for this. This will be the last time I travel with United. I will pay the extra money and take a more reliable airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Uwe Langhammer    (USA)

Flew YYC-IAH yesterday on B737 and have to say, nice flight mainly because of the class of service and the nice crew on board. Plane interior had seen better times and looked a bit outdated. Delay almost made up during flight. The friendly skies are much more friendly in Business than in Economy and unfortunately the gap between the 2 classes are way too big. In the future I hope United will shine some friendly 'skylight' towards the back of the planes to really earn the friendly sky status for all classes.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by Siauw Steve    (Indonesia)

LAX-SFO one-way on B757-200. Surprisingly, United has installed a good IFE system with updated blockbusters collection. Enjoyed my snacks and sweet apple juice on board. Speaker a bit too loud, but all in all, a surprisingly pleasant experience for such a short flight as 2 hours.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by M Friedberg    (USA)

Nice seats, smiling staff and cutting every corner in First Class on an ORD-FRA route. Four croutons on my salad and ordinary, less costly meal choices. 2 mid-priced white wines offered, and wasn't even offered a refill during the meal. Had to pay 16.95 USD for WiFi despite a 10,000+ USD ticket. Crew has rules about bags on the floor on take-off (even underneath the pod in First Class) and requests we wear shoulder plus lap belts - unlike other airlines. Even check-in was below par, no dedicated lines. Nice big seats and big meal portions, but equal or less than many other airlines' business class at double the price.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by N Matson    (China)

United has recently changed its airplane (routing from PVG-ORD) from a 777 with personalized on-board entertainment in economy, to a "new" 747 was shared projection screens. Also, they recently changed their US/Asia route to also require payment for alcoholic beverages for those not in business or first-class. Travelling from China to the US quite often, the 13+ hour flight seems even longer now that I have no control over what I can watch and no free drinks to "shorten" the travel time. In addition to these new changes, the United crew has always been less than pleasant. It seems that the passengers are an inconvenience, and I have heard the crew yell at each other on more than one occasion. Given the above, I have changed my frequent flier membership to another Star Alliance airline and avoid flying United at all costs. It's just not worth the pain when flying that far and that long.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by V Kim    (UK)

London - Newark, June 14 2014. I used my miles to purchase a ticket back to New York last month and was a bit nervous because I hadn't flown with United in a while and wasn't sure how the quality would be. Luckily, it was better than I expected! The entertainment was pretty old, and barely usable unless I wanted to go deaf by turning up the volume to its max. Since I wasn't using it, flight crew asked me to swap with a couple who had a broken machine which I did. The crew member then forgot to give me my drink, skipping my row completely until I reminded him. I was a bit annoyed but you know, staff get busy and flustered. I enjoyed my flight, smooth and got home safely, so cannot fault it. One thing that made me smile is that an older crew member, who witnessed me giving up my seat and then getting my drink forgotten, thanked me personally and talked about how the crew really wanted to encourage good experiences for everyone. Anyway, I quite liked the flight so well done United.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by N Perkins    (USA)

Ever since Continental merged with United it has been downhill. My flights are repeatedly delayed for various reasons but mainly due to technical issues because they have so many old planes still in service. On my most recent flight my flight was delayed for five hours. The plane did not show up for three hours due to 'weather grounding' which was totally false because the weather was fine in Houston, even if there were thunderstorms it would not have grounded for three hours. Then we were boarded and the pilot mentioned they had technical issues. I still do not understand why they would board an entire plane before knowing if/how long it would take to repair, everyone sat in the plane for two hours until they were finally able to fix and take off. We were told to contact United for 'compensation' due to the trouble and I was offered $50 (only because I have status otherwise it would have been $25) due to our inconvenience. Apparently a new policy just instituted to give you even less because in the past for something similar I received $100 and $150. They do not even care anymore about customer service so I am moving onto another airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Schultz    (Germany)

We booked a flight from SFO to LAX on United and a separate flight from LAX to Europe. Layover in LAX was supposed to be 5 hours - but rather safe than sorry is what I thought - and sorry we were to be: Upon entering the aircraft, doors closed, we were informed of a minor delay due to traffic restrictions. A while later a technical problem was added to the mix, and they promised to keep us informed. It kept going on like this for a while, until about two hours later we were released from the plane and tried to get on the next flight. After a total of three hours the ticketing agent kindly re-booked us on a Delta flight to LAX. We landed just in time to possibly make it on our next plane, but the surprise was that our baggage was still on the original plane. So we had to wait even longer in LAX, re-book the flight till next day, find a hotel and so on. I asked UA ground crew if they could offer assistance with any of it, hoping my star alliance gold card might come in handy. It certainly did not. The essence of this trip is: You are most welcome as a client as long as you pay and shut up!

United Airlines Customer review :  28 July 2014 by C Stueart    (USA)

Economy-plus from EWR-HKG. Staff at the airport were very friendly and in-flight were pleasant. For a 16 hour flight I was dreading the experience as I am 6'6" tall. The seat was actually reasonably roomy, and thankfully the middle seat of three was vacant. The idea that United now charges for alcoholic beverages on even such a long haul flight really sets them apart from their competition in a bad way. The food was probably the worst I've ever had on an airline, and that's saying a lot. Entertainment options were fine but the remote control at y seat did not work and the touchscreen worked only badly. Watched one movie and then slept. Overall though I felt as though I was flying on a budget airline and I wasn't! United, step up your game!

United Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by Bryan Romaine    (USA)

My worst flight was 2 weeks ago with United. My original flight was re-routed due to delays and not being able to make my connection. My re-routed trip had a connection which was delayed several times. Several passengers requested clarity to the problem and were given vague excuses and lied to several times. When the final flight was boarding, I along with several others were denied boarding as the plane provided was not large enough to accommodate all reservations. I spent that night in the airport and flew to a different location the next day. The staff were unprofessional and created nothing but frustration and anger for many passengers. The planes were uncomfortable and I felt as if we were cattle being driven to our destination. I will never choose United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by J Wood    (USA)

I find that United ground crew, in particular, seem to delight in going out of their way to be surly (on a good day) or nasty (typically). We flew coach today but honestly it doesn't seem to make a difference. Continental was a great airline that was merged with a terrible one and since the merger we have tried to avoid United wherever possible. Old United equipment, substandard IFE, overall bad attitudes no matter which cabin you find yourself in. Flying United is an endurance marathon. If we fly up front I am annoyed that we spent money or miles for bad attitudes. When we fly in the back I am annoyed by horrible service, inedible food (we bring our own now) and shabby cabins. It's time for the United brand to retire.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by A Choitz    (Germany)

I booked a "direct" flight from Berlin, Germany to Newark, NJ, USA and instead of being direct once we got to the airport we were told the airplane would be stopping to fuel up in Maine (obviously not for our flight but for the one after ours). Furthermore having made this trip from Germany/USA several times with other various airlines, in comparison United has old planes and less amenities. Lastly, there was no way to request a special meal from their website, I looked and looked but the meal option was continually grayed out, and ended up having to call customer service - another inconvenience.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by F Bonerigo    (USA)

We scheduled a flight from Dayton, OH. to Boston with a connection going to Boston in Newark and another connection flying back with a connection in Chicago. Not once did we depart on-time. Newark was a disaster. We had our flight cancelled, obtained a second flight but the customer service rep never suggested we try to get an earlier standby flight. Nobody called us from standby until I questioned the boarding attendant minutes prior to takeoff but managed to get onto the plane only to sit on the runway for over an hour because of a backup radio malfunction which ultimately caused the flight to be cancelled. After 7 hours we made it to Boston. Going home we arrived in Chicago and again on United's commuter connection we had another 2 hour wait while something on the plane was fixed. Service was poor especially in Newark where there were two hundred people waiting at customer service to rebook and two reps staffing the computers, talking on a phone, and letting a plane load of customers wait. Bottom line is that I almost could have driven to Boston from my home in Ohio and not lost much time.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by L David    (USA)

I am appalled with the way I was treated by this airline. My connecting flight was canceled and no other accommodations were made for an entire flight. When I was told that I would have to stay at the airport for 10 hours for the next available seat, my only option was driving to my final destination. The staff had no answers to my questions. When I went to get my baggage, I was told it would be about 2 hours before my 1 suitcase would be brought to the carousel. The woman at baggage claim did not follow through and my suitcase was sent to another airport. I had to drive to get my bag from the other airport. I received nothing but frustration for all of the airlines mistakes. Terrible start to my vacation and I will never book with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 July 2014 by James Nesmith    (USA)

I flew out of LAX at 6 am, July 9 2014. The flight took off at its scheduled time. The only complaint I had concerning this flight is it makes no sense to me for the airline to load the front of the plane first. It would be more efficient and there would be far less congestion in the front of the aircraft. For the flight from LAX the ground staff were very sloppy and inattentive. United has rules concerning the size allowed for carry-ons. Many passengers were allowed to bring full-size suitcases on board and of course the overhead bins rapidly filled up. I was pleased to see the staff at Dulles for my return flight were enforcing the rules and numerous passengers had to check over sized carry-ons. Charging an extra $25 for the first checked bag will preclude my flying United in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by E Pierce    (USA)

This week will be the last time I fly United Airlines. I made the mistake of doing a status match program after having Delta status for years, simply because I thought that there was better options for flights into my business territory, Canada. Today is the final straw in what has been a nightmarish year of unavoidable layovers, constant delays, cancelled flights and the worst customer service experience possible. I had a flight to Halifax scheduled today. I get to Newark airport for my 2 hour layover and see that my flight is leaving from Concourse A, which has no lounge or other comfortable place to get work done. I take the dingy bus to Concourse B/C to use the lounge. While in the lounge I wasted a good hour trying to get Internet to work. I went to the front desk and reported that the Wifi was very slow. The lady behind the desk said that no one else had reported this, then went on talking about her vacation pay hours remaining with another United employee. When I arrived in the lounge initially I asked while checking in if they were announcing all flights and was told yes. I did also hear them announce many flights, but there was never an announcement for mine. I realized it was 7.05, and my flight left at 7.30. I raced to the bus to Concourse A, by the time I arrived at Gate A20, was told that I would not be going to Halifax. I went to the customer care line, where I stood for over 5 minutes while 2 agents ignored me. I sat there for almost 10 minutes while she typed away, without saying a word to me. Finally she started telling me there was a flight from Houston tomorrow but no seats on it. I heard a passenger next to me say something about a flight to Moncton and asked the agent next to me if there was a flight to Moncton tonight. I asked the staff member to look into the Moncton flight, and without saying a word, she got up and walked away. Finally got onto the Moncton flight, which left 40 minutes late. Again no apologies for the inconvenience to us passengers who foolishly chose to spend our money with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by F Roche    (USA)

Recently flew business class with United from Narita to IAD. For my $13,000 r-t ticket, I got the narrowest business class seat I've ever been in. They squeeze 8 across in their 777s, including 4 abreast in the center aisle. Basically an unfriendly cabin staff that showed little initiative in anticipating customer needs and were inflexible and downright rude in enforcing cabin protocol (use of first class rest rooms when business class facilities were wait listed, even though the only people in first class were the second pilot and co-pilot). Food was mediocre and served with little flair.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Robert Loehr    (USA)

Would not recommend anyone use this airline. Cancelled our flight and did not get booked until the following day. Lines were long in Kansas City, had 2 people working. The facilities are old or not functioning. Worst travel experience ever!

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by T Ferguson    (USA)

On 10 July, Flight 4857 was delayed 2 hours awaiting incoming aircraft. On 13 July, Flight 4856 was delayed 3 hours due to mechanical on inbound, then further delayed for unknown reasons. Connection in Dulles was missed, and later flights to Colorado Springs were unavailable. Attempts to rebook into Denver were unsuccessful, as they were also delayed multiple times into early AM hours. Travel from Dulles to Colorado Springs was rebooked for 14 July on Flight 6349. That flight was delayed, and subsequently cancelled. Travel was rebooked on Flight 1694 to Csprings via Denver, though downgraded from business class to economy. That flight was delayed due to crew issues, so the Denver COS connection was missed as well. Travel was rebooked on 6259, which arrived in CSprings on 14 July at 10:.56pm. The gate people were very helpful, but the system was unresponsive and they were basically victims as well. Having been loyal United customers for 30 years, this sort of thing has become the norm over the last few years, predictably unpredictable. They have lost our business.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by R Dow    (UK)

I flew with United for the first time back in June/July, flying non-stop on the new service between Edinburgh and Chicago and on to Wausau. I was surprisingly impressed with everything, the check-in was fine, there was no delays and the "Premium Access" (speedy boarding) was worth it. The entertainment options on the way out were of a good choice (by my standards), and sneakily ordering a special meal meant I got fed first (and it was still hot). Think it was chicken and something, pretty good by economy standards. The seat was comfortable, and obviously for the person in front of me to as she decided to recline her seat for the whole flight, but I guess the fact of a spare seat beside me overcame the fact. I was slightly nervous about having to navigate Chicago as after reading reviews I thought it was going to be awfully daunting but everything was quick, like seriously only 10 mins in the immigration line, extremely impressed with that. Also sneaking into premium access and security at terminal 1 was an added bonus. I had a scheduled stop over of six hours but United decided to double it to 12 as the plane taking me to Wausau was delayed due to weather, which I will say not entirely United's fault but some food and drink tokens would not of gone un-noticed. The flight home was all on time and everything went as planned. Thank you United, you have impressed me, I will be flying this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by P Schaefer    (USA)

I travelled business class from Taipei to Boston via San Francisco. The appetizer had unidentifiable meat on it that was so leathery I couldn't even chew it. The roll was as hard as a rock. The toddler in a seat near me made a lot of noise. I usually travel economy and tolerate all of this. When you pay for business class you shouldn't have to tolerate any of this. I arrived in San Francisco and there is a four hour delay on my flight to Boston due to an engine failure on the plane originating in Washington D.C. So I got on an earlier flight but have to travel economy class. I asked the agent to if she could help reimburse me for the difference between economy and business. She said I have to do it by myself online. Hassle after hassle after hassle.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by R Samuel    (Canada)

I was on a flight to San Francisco, traveling via Washington, D.C. All passengers boarded the plane and everything seemed normal. We didn't take off for a few minutes, but I assumed that a few minutes delay was normal. The captain walked in next and announced that the "tyre pressure was low". After some conversation with the maintenance crew at the airport, the captain announced that they will have to deplane us. My thoughts at that point were - why wasn't it looked at before the previous crew left the aircraft? Or afterwards? They kept intermittently announcing that the flight would take off now and then and so on. But, eventually, 6 hours after we first boarded the plane, the flight was cancelled. The crew expressed helplessness - we can't blame them. The airline staff were also helpful in rebooking, but, it was a lesson - a significant one in my life and I'll certainly think a hundred times before choosing United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by R Prentice    (UK)

Airline staff (only one) never smiled and I mean never smiled even when I was pleasant to them, when purchasing drinks the stewardess couldn't find what we wanted, we had to point them out to her and she made a comment after buying 3 drinks if we were going to "buy the entire cart" and she wasn't being funny. We had to ask one of them could they collect trash after eating and he grunted and went off to get a bag and when we said thanks he just glared at us. We felt like cattle, first you eat, then you buy drinks and then don't annoy us. It was a long night from Newark to Belfast, and was very glad to get off that flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by J Laquerre    (Canada)

I was booked on another flight after my original flight was cancelled due to Hurricane Arthur. I decided to check- in for this flight as I would have to get up at 5am to catch it. At 7pm when I went to check in online I found out that my flight had again been cancelled (couldn't blame the weather - reason given was no crew) and I was re- scheduled for a flight at 1.30pm. There was no email sent to me nor was I contacted to be informed of this change less than 10 hours before my flight. When my flight 5876 was cancelled on 3 Jul 14 there were 2 staff members to re-schedule over 50 people - it takes about 45 minutes for the staff to re-schedule each person. How come United could not find more staff - this was known there would be cancellations predictable that flights would be cancelled. Overall a pretty shabby performance from United. Now again today they cancelled my flight - also did not inform me at all - I found out by accident by looking at their website. This was the only flight cancelled going to Harrisburg PA. Flights cancelled 3 times in the last 3 weeks and no-one told me. They have all my contact information and send me my boarding passes and tickets but won't tell me when a flight is cancelled.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 July 2014 by H Costa    (USA)

I was on my way to Houston at McAllen airport and for almost 12 hours they kept postponing the flight every 30-90 minutes until finally cancelling one of the flights after about 6 hours but letting us know that we could go on a flight that again was postponed several times for about 5 hours until they finally cancelled the flight. Bottom line they kept me in a small airport from almost 9am until 9pm and then no flight. I've heard similar problems with this airline. Seems the service offered by this airline has declined tremendously since the merger (Continental + United). Very unreliable and I definitely try to avoid using this airline at least until there is significant improvement in service.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Bardos Paul    (UK)

I flew several internal US flights with my family May 2014. I was hugely disappointed with the quality of seating and the service. United is absolutely a cheap airline operating cattle trucks in the sky. The cabins are rammed full with very little space, the seating is dreadful, the customer service a joke and the mighty dollar king. I am only surprised the toilets were not charged for. The baggage handling was terrible. It is truly amazing that this airline has gone so far downhill.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by C Roberts    (UK)

MUC-EWR in Economy Plus. The EC cabin was probably less than half full, which made things more comfortable, but that didn't seem to affect the overall poor service. Most flight attendants perfunctory with their work (with one exception), and attitudes were poor. Food given to us as if we were a million-man army, and the quality continues to decline. Few water runs. On the upside the movie selection was excellent, but I have never seen a worse cabin crew ever.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by T Barton    (USA)

On July 1, 2014 my family and I were traveling to the Cayman Islands, flight was cancelled 1 hr prior to our departure time, due to bad weather in Houston. They tried to reschedule our flight for two days later, we could not go two days later we had to return to work in a certain amount of time. Once we were on a flight that day the flight attendant reported to us that there was no bad weather and had no idea why our flight was cancelled. We were then sent to Houston airport where they got us on a flight to fly into Miami where our next flight could not leave until the next morning so we spent the night on the floor at the Miami airport. The experience to our destination was horrible flying United and their express flights. Once we were returning home on United they did not tell us we did not have to pay for our luggage again and let us pay again Once again the flight was unpleasant. Once we arrived into Houston, our flight home was delayed again, the experience with United Airlines was horrible and the flight attendants were very unfriendly. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by F Hryn    (Canada)

I flew United 148 Newark to Geneva, economy, July 8. After reading other reviews, I was prepared to expect less but was pleasantly surprised. The stewards and stewardesses were prompt with service and very friendly. Seat-back inflight entertainment provided me with many options to kill the 7.5 hour flight. The meal was good for an airplane meal and they were generous with drinks making numerous coffee/soda/water runs. The flight wasn't full and I was able to actually sleep on an international flight which made me happy since I had no one sitting next to me. We left Newark on time and arrived in Geneva on time. They got me there safely and cheerfully. What else can I ask for?

United Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by B Wilkins    (UK)

Like many people, I flew United because of the great service I used to receive when Continental was still around. After the merger, United seems to actually try to become the worst airline in United States history! On my last 4 trips, United was responsible for 6 flights. Out of the 6, 5 had major issues. The first trip had two legs. The first flight was delayed 1.5 hrs because the pilots couldn't show up on time. That caused me to miss my connecting flight by 3 minutes. Because the connecting flight was missed, they booked me on the next flight (after an hour wait in the Customer Service line at O'Hare). Well, the next flight was delayed nearly 3 hours - 1.5 of which was on the tarmac! On the return trip, I checked in to my LAX-ORD flight only to find out my seat had been canceled. After arguing with the ticket counter agent that I, indeed, paid to be on the flight, they finally called their reservations department. They, in turn, told me that I cancelled the flight. After more arguing, they finally conceded that my seat may have been "accidentally canceled" by the ORD customer service. Finally, on my last connection from ORD-ATW, I sat around for over 5 hours because the aircraft that was supposed to take the route was late coming in. Really? It's Chicago O'Hare airport, United's biggest hub! They couldn't pull another ERJ-145 into service? I could have driven to ATW and back (probably should have) in the amount of time I waited for the delayed aircraft. Despite having been a loyal Continental customer for over a decade, I will not be flying United again in my lifetime.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by Steve Rodriguez    (USA)

The wife and I purchased a last minute Vegas package deal in June through Priceline. We got a non-stop round trip flight with United. We have flown with them before and never had any problems. Unfortunately there was a death in the family and we had to change our departure date. I was not sure if we were locked into our package itinerary and would have to buy new tickets to get home, so I called United's Customer Service. I advised them of our situation and the need to go home. There staff told me not to worry and assured me they would get us back in time for the funeral. They arranged a non-stop flight for us to get home with no extra fees. There courteous and swift service was greatly appreciated.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 July 2014 by K Carter    (USA)

Flew from SLC to DFW with my two toddlers. Our first flight from SLC-Houston was delayed about 40 minutes which gave me 20 minutes to get on my flight in Houston to DFW. I gate checked my stroller so I could use it to get from one flight to the next. After our flight, I waited for the stroller and it never came. A baggage worker approached me and told me that he couldn't bring my stroller up because it had a white tag when it needed the pink tag. I told him that I needed to get to a flight that was leaving in 20 minutes. He was nice and offered to get the stroller onto my next flight. I trusted he would and ran to our next flight, dragging my two screaming kids with me. We barely made it before it took off. When we landed in DFW I again waited at the gate for my stroller. It never came. I again dragged my two toddlers across the airport to baggage claim. The stroller still wasn't there. I eventually found the stroller without anyone's help. I will not fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by D James    (USA)

Our flight from Anchorage was to depart around 8.35 or so but delayed 2 hours due to electrical issues. Repairs made and flight was smooth and safe. But this put many people into flux because of missed connections. Houston airport was a total mess with people milling around and scrambling for standby options. We had a package of frozen fish we did not care to lose. We would approach the podiums for standby only to be advised the flight was already overbooked. On top of that, many flights did not have a crew on the ground and had to await arrival on yet another messed up flight. I feel for the employees. Some were very nice and helpful but many but totally burned out and fighting with each other. This is a nasty situation and I encourage another airline at the moment.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 July 2014 by Edna Meji    (USA)

On the way to our destination, they wouldn't accommodate my family (5) since we missed our connecting flight due to a delay on their part. It took us over 24 hours to reach the east coast which normally takes 6 hours flying. On the way back, they gave away my paid for ticket that I purchased 2 months in advanced to someone who bought it 2 hours before. They re-booked me on the same flight with my family and only to find out once I boarded it was double booked. They also misplaced our luggage and left it in Newark, New Jersey when we live in California.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Harvey    (USA)

United's poor handling of airline operations and poor customer service led to two cancelled flights and nine hour in the airport on June 30 (ending on July 1 at 3.30am) for my originally scheduled flight #518 from Chicago ORD to Portland, OR (PDX). After arriving 3 hours late into ORD on a flight from Munich because of an unscheduled stop in Boston to change pilots, I arrived to find flight #518 from ORD to PDX delayed because of a maintenance issue. After three delays, two gate changes and three hours, the flight was cancelled. I was reassigned to Flight #627 scheduled to depart at 8.25pm. If my original flight had left on time, I would have missed the weather delay that started at about 7pm and lasted for an hour or so. The weather delay did mess things up and flights were diverted to wait for the weather to pass. Our incoming plane was diverted to Rockford, IL for a ground stop and then never made it to Chicago. We had 7 official delays, several noted only after the original delay deadline had passed and then the delay was only another 30 to 45 minutes, so not much time to go get food etc. We had 3 gate changes during the process, the last of which brought us back to the gate where our plane for Flight #518 was still sitting, still with its mechanical problems. Our inbound aircraft never made it, no alternative aircraft could be brought to the gate, even though there was an alternate aircraft available and the flight crew timed out at just before 2am when they cancelled the flight. They offered a hotel voucher, but the closest hotel was 20 miles away. After 26 hours travelling, the last nine being at ORD, I left for a hotel I had to pay for an hour away in downtown Chicago. Very poor customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by D Perera    (Canada)

Worst travel experience ever. Travelling with two young kids, not given seats together on flights from YVR to IAH and IAH to Tampa even after calling Customer Service before the flight. Flight to IAH was late resulting in missing connection to Tampa. Had to stay in IAH for 6 hours with two kids and Customer Service did not appear to care or want to help. UA has the worst customer service and do not listen to their customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by L Hollaway    (USA)

I flew UA Spokane WA to Denver, CO and flight staff were late for work so slight delay. Plane was crowded but staff pleasant. Got to Denver, landed at Gate B1 and had to run to Gate B95 because I had 5 mins to catch my next flight, also UA. Finally got to my gate to find it was changed, and there was a delay for half an hour. This turned into a two hour delay as they kept extending it. Plane was very crowded and tiny seats, staff were friendly enough, served cold coffee. I was lucky as everyone I sat with had a UA flying horror story. All in all it could have been worse. I thought staff being late was rather tacky. I think I will fly Delta next time.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Toni Pozo    (Catalonia)

Our United flight DCA-ORD (direct) was cancelled and finally we arrived to Chicago 12 hours later, flying via New York. Very bad information from staff. Only 4 days later another United flight, from Chicago to Frankfurt, was delayed more than 2 hours and we lose our flight connection to Barcelona. Entertainment and service on board was very poor. We've flown with many airlines from five continents and United is the worst in service. We cannot recommend this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Bang Anne    (Norway)

UA 39from OSL to EWR, 23 June and UA 38 from EWR to OSL, 29 June 2014. The plane was on route both directions (OSL-NYC return). The cabin staff made our flight very pleasant. Of course there is not much space in economy seat, but it turned out to be manageable.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by J Larner    (UK)

We flew from Birmingham, UK to Newark, USA (Washington to Las Vegas, San Francisco/Newark and then back to Birmingham, middle of May and United were brilliant. Seats reserved as requested on all flights so no stress there. A bit more legroom would be good especially when passengers recline their seats usually not necessary. No delays, all staff, especially those on board very pleasant and most helpful on all flights. Food served was pretty good, water offered throughout the various flights. All baggage looked after, nothing lost or delayed. A good airline, keep it up. [Unfortunately, some passengers tend to disregard the comfort of passengers behind them, backs of their seats reclined fully from the start and throughout the journey even though not sleeping, but watching a movie or playing games].

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Walter Martin    (USA)

Premuim Economy

Flight 63, July 4 2014. We had a full coach with no functioning bathrooms! I found out from one of the FA's that the flight came to Madrid from Washington with the forward bathroom already broken and the service crew didn't bother to fix it. Mid flight the second bathroom got irreparably jammed because of over use and lack of water. Of the last one soon followed. What sort of management runs a company like that. United will soon have the reputation that Aeroflot had back in the eighties. We will never travel with United again and that after twenty years of loyalty.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 July 2014 by E Oddo    (USA)

I am a Premier Silver member on United. I am on the verge of switching airlines for future travel due to the horrible experience I'm having. I used miles to book a ticket from Sao Paulo to Chicago. They cancelled the flight (UAL 844) on July 1 (apparently weather in Chicago), again (UAL 844) on July 2 and automatically rebooked me on a flight on July 4 with a connection through Washington D.C. There has been zero communication from United except for an automatic rebooking email. Hundreds of travelers are now stranded at a Holiday Inn on the outskirts of Sao Paulo, Brazil. I will be stranded in Sao Paulo for four extra days! I consistently attain Premier Silver status and always defend United when other customers complain of how bad an airline it is. Since I fly out of Chicago O'Hare, I know I have other options in terms of airlines. I do not even know if I will make it out on July 4. The hotel we are at has provided no information to any of the customers in terms of what is the next step. As United increases capacity to try to build revenue, they need to not forget about what matters the most: the customer. If this is not resolved to my satisfaction, I will be taking my business to American Airlines (or elsewhere).

1999-2014  Copyright Skytrax