United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

United Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

United Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by G Bampfield    (UK)

I can honestly say this was the worst trip I have had in 20 years. Seat allocation is by far the worst especially if you are travelling with children. Chances of getting seats together are slim. My 11 year old wasn't even allocated a seat regardless how many times we tried online prior to flying and we booked last June. After a lot of stress got a seat but not together. They over book all flights and offer people compensation if they take another flight. Or offer you an upgrade to get all seats together as they tried with us for an extra££80 each. As someone said to us on the flight was that they are only after money. As regards to check in at Heathrow. What a mess. All electronic to get boarding passes. It was like a bun fight. United make a big thing about there new systems and app but have forgotten the most important thing. The customer. Luggage. Make sure each bag is under weight. As they don't take into account overall weight. Tried to charge us £150 for 1 bag over by 2 lbs. We transferred it to a lighter bag. As I said before only interested in the money. They could learn a thing or too from EasyJet as regards to seating. The food was good is the only positive experience. I would never use again.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by C Tompkins    (USA)

I am sitting in First, EWR-LHR so can't complain too much, but I'm shocked at how a global first customer is treated. First I had to argue with the gate agent at the entrance to the global first/global services lobby who said I was not allowed in. I pointed out that I was flying global first 3 times and then demanded that we ask the people inside, who said I was, of course, welcome. After heading into the lounge, which at EWR is only a United club, not first, I went to the gate which was chaotic. They called global services group 1 and I came in behind the one GS person in group 1. I was actually pulled out of line and held back because they said only global services. I asked about global first and group 1 which was being called and was promptly told first class is very different from global services. I know now why I usually just take Lufthansa and connect through Germany for their grace and ease. It is amply clear that we million miler 1k fliers just aren't worth much at united. Why bother being loyal.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2014 by W Buddenbaum    (USA)

My flight out of Austin to San Francisco was delayed over an hour which caused me to miss my next flight. That flight was the last one out of SF for the night. The 3 people at the counter in Austin told me bluntly that there would be no compensation for the fact that I was going to stay the night sleeping in the terminal in SF. When I arrived in SF, I went to the counter in Terminal 1 looking to get my boarding pass for the next day. I was handed hotel and food vouchers. I use United because they're the only carrier out of my smallish town (Chico, CA) and before getting that voucher, I had promised myself never to use United and to drive the almost 2 hours to Sacramento to use another carrier.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Bill Byers    (USA)

My first trip to Asia, IAD-SFO-ICN (Seoul Incheon) and back. A319 from IAD to SFO was small, first class seats were old and not great. FA's were good, food was OK, Flew global first on a 747 to Seoul. Toilets stopped working half way through the flight and we landed in Osaka for repairs. Delayed my trip by two hours but the crew handled it well. Return flights was upstairs in business first, seat was narrow but not bad, IFE was good, food was also good. SFO to IAD on a 757-200 that had to be 25 years old with CRT IFE from 1990. FA's were excellent but the plane needs to be retired. Overall, a good trip and I truly think once United modernizes its fleet, it needs to decide if it wants to compete with the foreign carriers. If so, maybe a few less seats in business class, get away from 2-4-2 configuration, and perhaps better first class seating in the domestic fleet.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Corina Del Valle    (USA)

I fly with United because it is one the few alternatives to fly directly to Bogota. They do not respect the seat assignments. On 2 occasions, they changed without explanation, even though I had paid for economy plus set, they sent me to the back, I had to really fight to get one in economy plus. On a 5 hour international flight they give you nothing, just a drink. No entertainment.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Chase Landreth    (USA)

I flew First Class on UA14, HNL-EWR. The plane was clean and the entertainment system was excellent. The food, however was inedible. What they called "chicken cacciatore" was really a piece of cardboard. I have had better food in Coach on other airlines. Service on the flight was de minimus. The flight crew seemed only interested in finishing the pitiful dinner service as quickly as possible. Nobody flies for the food, but United sets the bar for the worst food and catering in the industry. I thought Delta had poor food (which they do), but by comparison, they look pretty good.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by J Young    (USA)

As a long time Continental customer and I really am trying to like United but they sure make it difficult. This is supposed to be an American company but they outsource customer service to India and Philippines with poor service to us customers. My flight from Narita to Newark Liberty was on a 777 that needs repairs and a good cleaning. My seat controls weren't working properly and the lavatories were dirty. Absolutely no amenities in the lavatories. I asked the flight staff for some soap and she gave me her own bacteria spray! For the cost of a business class ticket on this international flight you would think that United would provide what is standard on other airlines. The food was mediocre and no longer worthy of a business first pricing. All my other flights to Asia and around Asia were with Asiana and Bangkok Air. Amazing trips and outstanding service, staff and amenities. Of the Star Alliance group, United seems to be the only airline in the group charging outrageous prices and giving the customers barely basic services. I know all our USA airlines are the same, lousy service, but it sure does embarrass us with the rest of the world and I envy their far superior airlines. I took several 45 minute flights on Bangkok Air and would you believe they provided box breakfast/lunch with soft drink on each flight at no extra charge. And served and cleaned up over 100 passengers within the 45 minutes. It takes that long to get one drink, sometimes, with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

LAX-NRT-LAX (en-route to BKK) BizFirst on UA's new 787. Service both directions was really top notch. The crew were professional and attentive and on both legs, the International Service Co-ordinator came to personally thank each passenger for their business and for choosing United (I thought that added a very nice touch). Meals were actually quite good and the wine parings worked well. Opted for the Japanese meal on the return and found it pleasantly delicious (including the array of sushi appetizers). The best thing about the trip was the aircraft. Arrived refreshed and didn't feel like I'd spent 12 hours in an airplane upon landing. Would recommend flying the a/c wherever possible. Overall, high marks for this flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by Patrick Bellot    (USA)

Orange County-SFO, Round Trip - April 2014. Be aware: paying extra for an Economy Plus gives you the privilege to board last (group 5). On a full plane, it means that the overhead bins will be full when you embark and you will be deny boarding with your carry-ons. They will be checked at the gate of the aircraft. It happened to us on both legs of this trip even though our carry-ons were undersized and we had only one per person other than my wife's purse and my computer shoulder bag. But for our surcharge, we had a free half glass of water served by stern attendants. What a bargain! Too bad Virgin America no longer flies out of SNA. I really miss them. Their service is light years ahead of United. And when you pay a premium for a Virgin seat, you have real perks coming with it. Not bait and deceit.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2014 by B Certain    (USA)

Most excruciating flight I have endured was the 757 UA flight from Newark to Oslo on 5 April. The seats in economy were sadistically cramped. The aisle was so narrow that the crew could not move their carts without repeatedly banging and bumping into passenger seats. United's utter contempt for its customers and its crews is all too evident in its creation of such a tortuous experience. United has finally jumped the shark in the cheap, cheesy, penny-pinching department. I can choose to fly another airline and, believe me, I will.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by Shaukat Mahmood    (USA)

This was our worst experience. United Airlines had already been the airline with the most customer complaints and proved to be true when we took a trip to Florida. On the way back our flight for 3pm had been delayed for 5pm and then was cancelled due to "maintenance issues." We took another flight for 8pm and again was delayed to 9.30pm. We asked the lady at the counter and she said that the cabin crew wasn't prepared for travel so they delayed the flight. They are disorganized and I will never be flying United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by T Funk    (USA)

United Express: I flew from ORD to ASE in March and although they have us over a barrel as they are the only airline with non- stops, the flight wasn't bad. We had to cram into a little regional jet, definitely much smaller than United's traditional mainline aircraft, but it was a relatively new plane. The seats did seem smaller, but the service was jut about the same as its big brother. The fare was on the high side, though.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 April 2014 by K John    (USA)

I have flown from Newark to Delhi or Mumbai multiple times. The routing works well for me, as I can access EWR from Philadelphia easily with the Amtrak codeshare, although since they require more than a 3 hour layover in EWR on the way back, the codeshare is only useful outbound. I like the Economy Plus seating, which is a plus for the long trip. Despite being at the top Premier level, however, I find that I never get upgraded to business class despite supposedly having "System-wide upgrades" available. In practice these can never be used on these flights in my experience, and one has to pay extra to be "eligible" then does not get the upgrade anyway. I am trying to book a ticket now, and even though 38/40 business class seats are empty, they will not confirm the upgrade, and from what one reads on the internet, the only way to get it is to check again and again and again and perhaps you might get lucky when they have opened one. In general the "free upgrade" offer for international travel seems to be a scam. The economy plus seating is better than normal economy though, although I'm not sure it compares favorably with other airlines' economy.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by T Gugelyk    (USA)

HNL to BKK. Aborted take off in HNL. Plane back to ramp, sit inside plane for 5 hours. Problem could not be fixed, mechanical. Flight cancelled. Told to disembark, get out luggage at Arrivals, and go to Departure area to rebook. This on a 747 with 350 plus people on it - all pulling their luggage about 1/2 mile to Departure area. Line up at departure area United to re-book - wait 7 hours to get to counter. Only 2 staff members to rebook the entire airplane. I was put on Delta the next day to NRT. Gave me $10 voucher for meals, and over night free stay in Waikiki hotel. Cheapest meal at hotel was $18. Next AM, Delta took off on time got me to TKO, then transfer to United back to BKK. Never again with United!

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by Jay Smith    (USA)

I flew from DCA-EWR on Monday April 14. It was a mess, United cancelled all of its flight out of DC without any reason. The weather was perfect, my flight was suppose to be at 11.30am, they cancelled it, then I was put on the 4.30pm, which was delayed, and finally at 6.30pm they decided to cancel. They don't think of their passengers, they don't respect their time, this airline is really the worst airline I've ever flown. Would not recommend.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2014 by K Jenkins    (UK)

London Heathrow-Chicago O'Hare, UA0929. Chicago O’Hare Intl-Denver, UA1014, 29th May 2013. Denver-Rapid City, UA4914. Rapid City-Chicago O’Hare, UA4414. Chicago O’Hare-London Heathrow, UK. UA0938, 23rd June 2013. I cannot understand United are not upping their care for its customers. We flew with United on our last holiday and quite honestly never again. We have flown to many places around the world and United without any doubt are the worst airline I have used. The cabin crew are lazy and somewhat rude, doing as little as they can. They could not even ask for the window blinds to be raised when coming in to land at London Heathrow. They did a standard talk when we were on the plane (with a special welcome to our premium and military customers). So quite obviously the economy passengers do not matter remembering of course that it is economy passengers that are the bulk of their customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 April 2014 by L Grand    (USA)

We flew from LAX to Dublin, Ireland. I will never fly United again. The plane looked old, it was also dirty. The drink service took forever! I realized it was because when you order a soda they don't give you a cup of ice and the can anymore. No. They now open a can a pour some into the cup for you and then use the same can for the next passenger. I've never had an airline do this. Very cheap. The worst part was the food. I am a vegetarian. When I booked the flight and went online to request a vegetarian option, the only option I saw was Indian food. I highly dislike Indian food so I thought this was odd. I called customer service to inquire about other vegetarian options. They have no satisfactory options for vegetarians. I told her I would stick with the regular meal instead, my plan was to eat the sides. When the meal service came around they brought me the Indian vegan plate! I told them that I did not request this and asked for a regular meal. They said they did not have enough and maybe once they served everyone if there was an extra I could have it. I didn't eat on the way to Ireland. On the way back I had to make sure to bring food for me to eat on the plane. Both flights, to and from, were delayed by 2+ hours.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by K OMalley    (USA)

I recently was on a United flight from DFW to ORD with my two small children (3 years and 10 months). After takeoff it became necessary for me to change my daughter's diaper. I pressed the flight attendant button and told the man that I needed to utilize the restroom with my daughter but since the lavatory was so small it was impossible to bring my 3 year old son with me. I asked if he could keep an eye on him just to ensure he stayed seated. I was told very tersely that this was not his job and he couldn't possibly do such a thing. I tried contacting United and got the following response "The flight attendants are not required to assist with these type of activities, it is strictly up to the flight attendants." If you offer no assistance for people traveling alone with multiple children, perhaps you should make your customers aware of your flight attendants utter uselessness before they board a plane assuming they will be treated as valued customers.

United Airlines Customer review :  12 April 2014 by Charles Kennedy    (UK)

SFO-LAX and LAX-LHR - in the recent past this airline has made my no-fly list for being unreliable to the point of fitting the description of "not fit for purpose" so I was reluctant to use them on this routing but had no choice as it was part of a Star Alliance mileage redemption. In fact both flights were easy to check in with no surprises, boarded in an orderly way, pushed early, the crew were friendly, the meal on the 777 from LA to London was tasty, the entertainment options on the 777 were diverse and well chosen (and no tedious pre-roll ads before the movies), and my bags were on the carousel promptly. Couldn't ask for more, so they're off my no-fly list and fingers crossed for a few more flights like this. All we need now is to get rid of the ghastly 90s photoshop globe with the wonky perspective and bring back the Saul Bass tulip.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2014 by Oswald Elphick    (Australia)

First time when we used united airlines, international connecting flight in San Francisco, we notice their system are very disorganised in their terminal, no one to help and most staff are not helpful. On another experience coming back from LAX going back to Sydney the staff at check were the same - all unhelpful. All they did was stand and talk among themselves.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2014 by L Carpenter    (USA)

United Airlines was a disaster to travel through and not worth the amount of stress they cause all of their passengers. I was on a 7 hour flight, and they had all movies and shows on repeat. The staff were very unhelpful. My flight ended up getting cancelled and I got re-routed to a much longer flight pattern. There were others I could have taken, but United were SO unhelpful that I didn't find out until after the flight. The people there have no idea what they're doing. I was a day late for an important meeting. I received nothing in return for the inconvenience.

United Airlines Customer review :  8 April 2014 by H Castle    (USA)

SAN-IAH-AMS, LHR-LAX-SAN in economy plus. Planes were clean, service was professional and pleasant, food decent, IFE was very good, and my baggage arrived with me. One flight segment, IAH-AMS, was 40 minutes late departing but arrived on time thanks to strong tailwinds. No complaints.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by Larsen Troy    (USA)

We were on the last leg of our trip at Denver Airport when out flight had been delayed 5 times. After the fifth time they changed out gate assignment and again the flight was delayed twice. After waiting until almost all other flights from the airport were gone for the night our flight was canceled. We were sent to customer service where things were even worse. Told we would have to stay in Denver until late the next day or even until 2 days from then. I was able to find flights the next day on many other airlines but they would not allow. We then decided to driver home from Denver, Co to Madison WI (15 hours) with two young kids. The customer service lady gave us some vouchers for the food stores in the airport but the stores would not accept these vouchers. I will pay great amounts of money and drive hours to other airports to never use this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2014 by A Dennis    (USA)

United overbooked my flight. They asked me to take a later flight to Hawaii, when I refused they changed my flight anyway which gave me a five hour wait at the SF airport. They offered nothing for this inconvenience and acted as if they were doing me a favor. This was my first and last trip on United.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by Camirand Felix    (Canada)

Very disappointed with my experience with United on Feb 2014. Had a first flight that was oversold, we couldn't get on the plane. Had to be re-routed and got 3 flights instead of 2 originally, scheduled to arrive at 9 pm instead of 4.30 pm to destination. We found out prior to our last flight that we had not been properly booked into the flight, had to be changed to another flight again, after an hour of waiting at the understaffed customer service desk. At destination, now trying to confirm our seats for the return flight. It's been cancelled! We've tried to call customer service, after a 20 minutes wait, we're told that we need to be transferred to international flight dept. Another 20 minute wait. Another transfer. We ended up waiting 2hours. Very poor service.

United Airlines Customer review :  3 April 2014 by C Landrehth    (USA)

I recently flew First Class on United # 15 from Newark to Honolulu. This is a 10+ hour non stop flight. The plane leaves at 9:20 am in the morning. The 767-400 was recently updated with the new sleeper seats. The plane was clean and very comfortable. The entertainment system was excellent. The crew were efficient and nice. The really surprising disappointment was the food. A breakfast was served shortly after take-off, but after that, there was nothing except some doughy concoction that was served an hour before landing. The paucity of food and food service was stunning. Most other airlines serve Mai Tais on flights to Hawaii, but not on United. I might as well have been on a flight to Cleveland. My advice to people traveling on United is to bring your own food, even in First Class!

United Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by R Jones    (USA)

Flew SFO to PEK on 29th March in First and we had an exceptional crew. I'm not normally one to post positive reviews about United, but they deserve this one. We found all flight attendants to be friendly, eager to assist, and they tried their best to meet all requests. The food was tasty, and served at the appropriate temperature. It's still not exactly an elegant service, but it's good.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by M Schultz    (USA)

I was a loyal and frequent Continental flyer for a number of years. All airlines have problems and cause the passengers problems. Continental was not an exception. However, I was generally pleased with the aircraft (the newest of fleets) and with service. I recall having been delayed at AUS on a trip to LHR via IAH with my wife. We arrived at IAH with only 3 minutes to spare. We were met with a cart, and our passports were checked and tickets issued as we sped along. All that ended with the UAL merger. I got caught in FRA with the merger mess on "the" day, and since then it has been a series of canceled and long delayed flights with missed connections and very old and ragged aircraft. Most recently I tried to fly AUS to LAX on a CRJ in First. The attendant grabbed my suit coat and started stuffing it in an overhead bin. I objected as I was to go straight into a meeting. Seems the closet had been removed for an additional rows of seats. We were delayed for de-icing, then for a malfunctioning APU. Finally, at the 2+ hour point, we returned to the gate, and I deplaned, making an AA flight in time. I suspect this is my last UAL attempt. Too unreliable.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 April 2014 by Michael Jambrek    (USA)

Second time in 25 days connection return flight layover +3 hours plus delayed takeoff by 3 hours out of O'Hare. This time there wasn't even any weather issues. Also both trips had cancellations and overbooking. Why bother paying for poor service when I can actually drive home faster.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by S Burgquist    (USA)

I just returned from a flight from Chicago (ORD) to Tampa (TPA) for spring break. I made a reservation that was non-stop both to Florida and returning home. I'm handicapped and was traveling with my 7 yr. old grandson. The flight to Florida was fine, leaving and arriving on time. The flight home was a different story, my flight home was cancelled during the night and I was booked on a flight that left 40 min. earlier with a layover in NJ. for 2 hr. then another plane which we had to sit on for 30 min and leaving late. I called and explained why I needed a non stop flight, I was told the only non stop plane wasn't leaving until 3 days later. This meant instead of a less the 3 hr flight it was a 7.5 hrs. I was unable to get any help from management, customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by R Fowler    (UK)

I flew from Heathrow to Charleston (SC) via Washington Dulles, for vacation in late March. I flew UA123, which was a B757-200. This was an old plane but it had great AVOD and leg space and the staff were friendly. The flight was also early and very empty which is always a plus. The connections were typical subsidiary small airline service; nothing special, nothing bad and on time. On my return from Washington our B777-2000 was delayed due to a fuel problem, however the entertainment system was left on so we could finish our film. After a 45min delay, the plane left and made up the time coming back across the Atlantic. This plane was half-empty and had been recently refurbished with a great AVOD system and spacious seating. Cabin crew were very helpful. I would definitely recommend United on the Heathrow - Washington route.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Shirley-Grant Roma    (USA)

London Heathrow to Newark to connect to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. My trip to Newark was uneventful. It was after landing in Newark that everything went wrong. Starting with the long immigration lines that wound around and around. My connection was scheduled to depart at 1.17pm and I was still at immigration at 1.10 even after enquiring about help from a United representative who was standing talking to a fellow colleague. She told me to join the line and when I ask what happened if I missed my connection she just tersely answered they will rebook you and walked away. At baggage claim there was no sign of my bag, I was told to catch the flight and look for my bag in Fort Lauderdale. I finally got seated without a welcome or assistance from the two attendants standing at the door. We sat on the tarmac for over 2 hours. In the meantime however, the empty seats started filling up little by little and I began to wonder if they were not just awaiting a fill to capacity flight. Not offered anything to eat. They gave us tea, coffee or water and that was it. Needless to say that when I go to Fort Lauderdale my checked baggage was not there and was told it had been left in Newark and would be arriving on the 11pm flight. As I am writing this my baggage has still not been delivered.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Liam O'Brien    (Singapore)

Narita, Tokyo to Singapore Changi on March 28th. IFE did not work (and even if it did I would be stuck with, according to what was in in-flight mag, an old and poor quality selection), food awful and had to pay for wine on a transcontinental flight (a first for me). Whole flight experience a bit of a revelation for me as I am used to flying Asian and European carriers. It was a bit like flying a short-hop domestic flight in UK - nothing much really to keep you happy while you are stuck in your seat. Maybe UA treat international flights like their domestic US ones. Even the announcements were the worst I have come across. Purser who did not seem to be able to speak English and a captain who had obviously not been sent on any course about speaking to the public (lacklustre, disjointed and very rare). Won't be booking anything with UA again.

United Airlines Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Luisa Marques    (USA)

Feb 2 from Newark to Punta Cana, flight UA 1520, returned Feb 9, flight UA 1518. Traveled from Newark on March 21, flight UA 423 to Fort Myers. Returned on March 24, flight 1587. What a disappointment! It started at check-in at Newark airport, they expect you to do everything and if you ask for help, they make it seem they are doing you a huge favor. The seats are super tight, have to pay for luggage, food, TV, I'm surprised they don't charge to let you use the bathrooms! They make you feel like you are getting on a bus.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by M Gephart    (USA)

LAX-SFO-SEA-LAX in United First. Outbound legs to Seattle were great. Service was warm and personalized, even if only snack basket and drinks were offered on these short runs. Where United really shined was on the return flight. Original SEA-LAX flight was canceled due to mechanical on inbound aircraft. I received a text message with this update and before I could even get to the agent, UA had me rebooked on another carrier getting in just 30 minutes after my original UA routing. When I got up to the agent, she had my ticket ready and waiting for me. I fly United almost every week and seldom have cancellations or major delays. Regardless, the way they handled this one was flawless and I couldn't have asked for better service all-around.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by B Parker    (New Zealand)

4 Sectors with United, YVR-ORD, ORD-BOS, BOS IAH, IAH-YVR. Very poor customer service, on the ground and in the air. Greeted at the aircraft door by the usual icy scowl. A "good morning" from me totally ignored on all sectors. Officious cabin crew. A request for two drinks met by a terse response of, "We do more than one drink service, this is United!" Hugely oversized carry on bags allowed in the cabin. As a result the last few passengers to board are separated from their carry-ons and ordered to relinquish them, even if they are of legal size. Purchased a roast beef sandwich on the 4.5 hour BOS-IAH leg, it was tiny, soggy, and disgusting. On the 5 hour IAH-YVR sector, departing at 2100, no hot items for purchase, just snack boxes with cheese and crackers. I don't believe that United is any different to any other US airline these days. I can tolerate the ancillary charges, the cramped seating, the lack of food, I understand that's what most of the budget conscience travelers demand these days. But simple manners, courtesy, and mutual respect cost nothing to provide, and sadly they seem to be the most difficult qualities to find in any US airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2014 by T Jayson    (USA)

If there is any alternative to flying United, take it. The staff do their best, but everything about the interface is far from traveler-friendly. First of all, the food - and this is in first class - can only be somebody's idea of comedy. Murky, chalky flavors and strange un-natural textures characterized every dish I was given. Also, on one recent Newark - Los Angeles flight there was were no screens in the plane - no movies, no TV. No wireless available and no plugs.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Lindsay Dolan    (USA)

Denver to Midland scheduled departure time was supposed to be 2.15pm. The flight was delayed 3 times and all while the plane was sitting at the boarding gate. The airline employee spike very broken English. Said that anyone traveling with children needed to be checked due to weight restrictions. She then said that 6 people needed to give up their seats for luggage of other travelers or she would not let the last people that checked in on the flight. No one volunteered so she picked 6 people, 2 of which were military personnel. Once on the plane, people were told to move seats to even out weight since. We will never fly with this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Ron Staszak    (USA)

The worst experience I have encountered when flying. Total disregard to their customers and employees. The poor people at the gate were just beat up to no end and it was not their fault. Flew out of Aspen, Colorado which only has 6 gates and 2-3 planes to manage and they could not even accomplish this simple management. United changed my flight without even giving me the courtesy of an e-mail or phone call to check to see if this arrangement was ok. It wasn't even a change in a flight on the same day, but they changed the day I was flying out, changed from one layover to two layovers, changed the total flight time and did not even offer an apology for this inconvenience. In the future the only way I will ever fly United again is if there was no other airline going to this location. A horrible experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Anshul Sharma    (USA)

I am on a flight to LAX from SFO, already delayed by 45 mins waiting for flight crew to arrive. This had already given me a pretty good idea of customer service the flight's staff has to offer, but that got solidified when I asked for 2 cups of water from one flight attendant and she told me - 'why don't you finish one first?'. She eventually got me another cup.

United Airlines Customer review :  26 March 2014 by A Miller    (USA)

First international flight from MCO to HKG was great. Very smooth. Crew very helpful. Being on a 15+ hr flight, hydration is important. All I had to do was take my water bottle to the back and the crew happily refilled it for me multiple times. They even came around with trays of cups with water every so often. Second flight back (HKG to MCO) was a disaster. First flight from HKG to Newark was delayed 2 hours. Not a big deal, we still had time to make our connecting flight. However, the plane was further delayed by another 1.5 hrs after we were already on it. The crew were extremely rude. After 6 hours of no water, my husband asked if we could refill my water bottle, same as the first flight, but this time they looked at him like he was crazy and said they were about to bring the drink cart around so to just wait for that. By the time we finally touched down in Newark, we missed our connecting flight, so had to be put on one 4 hours later. Again, that flight from Newark to MCO was delayed. Instead of leaving at 9pm as scheduled, we took off from the runway at 11pm, after waiting 2 hours on the plane. One of the bathrooms was not functioning properly. They made an announcement that they weren't going to fix the bathroom, but had to fill out paperwork anyway so we'd be off the ground as soon as paperwork was finished. Next thing we know, a guy is coming down the aisle, and starts fixing the bathroom. Then we had to wait for him to fix it before we took off. In the meantime, they let 5 more people on the flight, so they had to play the safety video a second time before we could take off. Thankfully, we had no problem getting our luggage. The movie selection available was also decent. Food was okay for the first two meals and the third was disgusting.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2014 by J Ryu    (Canada)

UA 861 from Washington to Rio de Janeiro scheduled to depart at 9.30pm. The flight was delayed first and then after making me wait for 5 hours, the flight was finally cancelled due to mechanical problems at 3am. I got re- booked on the flight for the next day at the same time, was given a night at hotel and $14 voucher for the meal for the whole day. The next day, I found out that my connection to Sao Paulo to Rio no longer existed, so was booked on a later flight with a regional airline. Basically what should've taken me 14 hours, took me 48 hours. Furthermore, my luggage arrived 2 days afterwards, after several phone calls and different answers from United agents. The food served on the plane was inedible. Worst air travel experience. The seat was so crammed for a 9+ hour flight, I had to buy premium economy on my way back so that my knees won't hurt.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by N Khan    (USA)

Absolutely the worst flight. Both trips were delayed for aircraft mechanical issues. 3 hrs on the way there, 4 hrs on the way back. I've never really liked United but we still fly because we were avid Continental flyers for years. I will make it a personal goal to avoid United as an airline for any future flights I have. The price was ridiculous and the service and crew were mediocre at best. I thought United had newer aircraft fleet. Then why are two flights delayed because of mechanical issues? I would never recommend flying United.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Karen DeShong    (USA)

Milwaukee to Los Angeles, March 16 2014, returned March 19 2014. Flight 5165. Flight 1273 missed this flight due to the above one being late, next flight UA729. Return flight 1498 delayed and missed connecting flight 5438 rebooked to flight UA5425. Late flights and rude service. My flight leaving was late and missed connecting flight. On the return home my flight leaving and connecting flights were late. Flight attendant stands in aisle talking while we try to get off plane to make connecting flights. Captain had asked everyone to be seated unless you have a connecting flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2014 by S Bennett    (Ireland)

I booked a return trip to Las Vegas via Dublin. On the return trip the seat in front of me was an emergency exit. The seat itself appeared to be broken, when the passenger in this seat put the seat in the rest position, the seat reclined back so far that the space left to me was extremely confined. When I asked the cabin crew if I was obliged to have this person sitting "on top" of me she stated he was allowed to put his seat back. As a result I sat for 6 hours approx with no reasonable space in front of me. I got no food as there was no room to let down my food tray.

United Airlines Customer review :  22 March 2014 by T Daniels    (USA)

Both coming from and going to our destination the check in staff were very rude and difficult to work with. We've always been around 50 pounds for our checked bags, sometimes a little over, sometimes less and most airlines don't care as long as you're close enough. Not United - it's 50 lbs exactly or they won't take your bags. Their check in staff are normally pretty unhappy and rude. What makes it even more ridiculous is most people just shift the weight to their carry-ons - meaning the airplane is still carrying the exact same amount of weight.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by J Marcos    (USA)

I recently flew from SFO to Cancun and back. First off, I had to pay for poor entertainment offered inflight when other airlines offer better entertainment for free. I mean, I paid for movies that I can't even pause when I use the restroom (ridiculous). Secondly, no food was served for this long flight. Even some chips or light snacks would have helped. Thirdly, the seats were meh, I have had better seats. It is a forgettable experience except for the bad parts like the entertainment system. If given the chance, I will not fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by Hunsa Punnapayak    (Thailand)

UA838, BKK-NRT, Biz class. Flight was packed. Wonder why UA would discontinue BKK with the planed loaded with passengers. Laid flat seat. Sat on the upper deck near the cockpit. UA Biz were pretty crowded. Food was mediocre. Breakfast choices were Thai noodle or omelette. Grilled sandwich prior to landing was delicious.

UA79, EWR-NRT, Biz-First. This is a long haul flight about 14 hours on a Boeing Dreamliner with staggered seats. Would have been nice for privacy but unfortunately seated next to a guy who had cold and sneezed around most of the time. Mid flight snack placed in the galley was minimum. When I went there most were gone. Toilet was poorly stocked with only 1 liquid soap bottle. Flight crews were nice. Amenity kit came in a lousy tin can but it is said to be a collectible one.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2014 by J Willis    (UK)

UA29, 14/03/14. Friday evening departure from Newark and the airport was busy, however the check in and bag drop facility was well organised so wasn't queuing long. Onboard the flight the 777 was full so it did feel quite claustrophobic, the seats were not very comfortable but the legroom was ample. The flight only took 6 hours 15 minutes but the cabin crew were friendly and worked really hard and managed the meal service and two drinks runs before turning the lights off. Breakfast was served an hour and half before landing and consisted of a warm croissant and a small fruit salad. The flight landed ahead of schedule in to Heathrow and I was again fairly impressed with United.

UA 468, SFO-PHX, First Class. UA 1265, PHX-EWR, First class. Typical domestic UA first which is nothing more than a bigger seat and free food. Ordered SW Chicken salad but got tasty beef with noodle instead. First class fare is not reasonable. If purchased separately way too expensive for what you get.

UA838, NRT-SFO, Biz class. This is a long haul flight with amenity bag. Japanese food selection was Okay. Mid flight snack was placed quietly in a galley. Good thing was the arrival lounge at the SFO to freshen up and shower after landing. This lounge closed at noon and quite difficult to locate. It is on a lower level on the way to terminal 3, if you walk from the international terminal. Info desk did not know about the UA arrival lounge.