United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

United Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

United Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by Stephen Mordey    (UK)

I took a trip from London out to Rio De Janeiro and from there to Sydney and back home after another stop over in Rio. My travel started on April 1st on UA 5 from London to Houston. I'm a 1k and upgraded this whole itinerary of about 48,000 miles of travel from economy to business using mileage and a cash fee. All upgrades cleared in advance allowing me to select my favourite seating which on United one can do free of charge. I continue to be impressed at the level of courtesy and service in United's premium cabins. The vast majority of cabin staff gave very good attentive and professional service. Good simple food but very enjoyable and well presented. The fish dishes continue to be my personal favourite and were quite delicious. Frequent drink refills, no need to ask its just given. Some really outstanding flight attendants. Some customers dislike the business class seating, personally I have no problem with it. After a nice meal and plenty of snooze inducing beverages I can literally sleep for hours. The only downside in the whole trip was the closure of Houston Airport as a result of thunderstorms on 16/04/15. This could not be avoided or blamed upon the airline. End result I arrived at Rio on my way back 24 hours late. As a 1k a free phone call to a dedicated phone line got me rebooked on the next days flight keeping the upgrade. But I have to say that I did not envy the legions of poor souls who had to stand in line at Houston Airport that night to receive the same service from customer service. It seemed like hundreds of passengers waiting to see one or two agents working at 2am and it was not a pretty sight! All in all thirteen long haul flights, apart from the one delayed by weather, all other flights operated either on time or ahead of schedule. There are airlines out there that could not even come close to this level of punctuality. And as always, my baggage appeared in the right place at the right time. United continues to provide generally very good service in my experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 April 2015 by James Lamont    (USA)

BCN-EWR. United gets dumped on so much here, I wanted to say something nice. Our trip was near-perfect. The flight was full, yet the staff were friendly, attentive, prompt and accommodating in all ways. Very good, filling and nutritious lunch plus a pre-landing hot snack. Seating in the Boeing 757-200 was spacious and comfortable. (We sat in their Economy Plus, which offered plenty of leg room, and I'm six feet tall.) Entertainment was plentiful and varied (I watched three recent movies I had missed in theatres), and the viewing screen was quite large enough. Overall, the trip was so relaxing that we still had energy for the final two-hour leg home, EWR- ORD, which also was quite pleasant.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 April 2015 by Archie Ramsay    (UK)

I flew from Dulles Washington to London Heathrow on the 7th April 2014 although I was in economy it was the best flight I have experienced, I usually sit at the window when I fly but this time I opted for the aisle - it does make life so much easier when flying. Anyway although I was in economy the service was first class, the cabin crew were excellent, its nice to be looked after by cabin crew with a genuine smile rather than a false grin. The free television on the back of the seat is also a nice addition anyway thanks united for a great trip.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by George Weber    (Australia)

My wife and I travelled business class Sydney to Tampa Florida via LAX. Sadly a passenger died two hours of Sydney so had to return. Told flight was rescheduled for the next day. As we live in Sydney on the fringe, we were told to go home and come back tomorrow. Cab fares were $240 with no reimbursement. Next day plane was an hour late boarding. Business Class cabin carpets were soaking wet. Further delay to clean. Cheap sparkling wine served in plastic cup. Departed Charleston SC sixteen days later back to Sydney via Chicago and LAX. As no internationally trained staff at UA Charleston, could only ship bags to Chicago thus to baggage collection/security there. Airline lounge packed in Chicago. At LAX UA lounge was so full we were not allowed in. Then found out no frequent flyer points Sydney-LAX because it was an unscheduled flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by M Howard    (USA)

I flew from IAH to NRT. Not the worst flight but many aspects could be greatly improved. Too much air- conditioning, I had to have 3 blankets to keep myself warm. The IFE was better than I expected though. Some acceptable selections to watch. It kept me entertained for the 12 hour flight. Overall, probably taking another airline is a better choice for your trip.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Bradley Ricks    (USA)

On a flight from LAX to New Orleans. Flight 1/2 full with all exit rows empty. My husband and I attempted to move to a exit row seat and was told by the flight attendant we could not move. You have to pay to sit in an exit row. The flight is half empty. United, this is our last time fly with you!

United Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by J Griffin    (USA)

PBI-IAH-LAX-NRT-SIN - original scheduled route. Route actually flown with delays: PBI-IAH-LAX-SFO-HND-SIN. All domestic flights offered only beverages or you could purchase food. Flight delayed due to weather in IAH. Arrived into LAX and my connecting flight had left. Ground service was little to no help. Crew at gate barked to go to Customer service and they only deal with guests at that gate. Customer service had only one person to rebook flights for 40 folks waiting in line. Called 800 number and then was told to call another number to speak to someone about my international ticket. Finally got rebooked but it meant flying to SFO and then onto Singapore. Good part is my flight from Tokyo to Singapore were on ANA. There was a gate change while en-route to Japan. The ANA attendant met me at security to inform me of gate change and asked if I wanted a transport.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 April 2015 by Steve Bryant    (USA)

A recent flight from London to New York recently was perhaps the worst experience we've had. We recently flew Nashville - Dallas - San Francisco on United (first class). Food, service, etc was great. But woe to the huddled masses. For some reason on the return we were bumped to business (first leg) then economy (last leg). For a six hour flight, "breakfast" was a box with a roll, candy bar and yoghurt. But the last leg we were seated in economy and the blinders came off. Seats were probably used on misbehaving prisoners - as ergonomic as a stone carving, tattered "leather", painfully thin. Video screens (and I use the term loosely) had been randomly attached to the ceiling for which earphones could conveniently be purchased. I'm unsure which is worse - this or the "individual screens" on the last AA we flew - scratchy, color off, glaring, possible the worst picture quality on Earth. No problems with bags or leave time.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 April 2015 by F Slegers    (Netherlands)

Flew to Las Vegas from Amsterdam with a stop at Chicago. Were delayed at Chicago for 3.5 hours with no communication from United staff and 6 gate changes. Onboard entertainment system broke down after 2 hours (on our flight from Amsterdam to Chicago) so we had 6 hours where we had nothing to do but just sit. Flight crew was uninspired. Return flight from Las Vegas to Amsterdam got cancelled 15 minutes before we arrived at McCarran airport because there was no crew available. Eventually flew back to Amsterdam through Los Angeles with KLM. Customer care pointed at Reservations and Reservations pointed at Customer Care. Was on the phone (international call) for over an hour and just got disconnected. Several e-mail back and forth, only thing United did was apologize for the inconvenience. Stay away from United.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 April 2015 by Mary Choi    (USA)

Premuim Economy

Flew EWR-AMS-EWR earlier this month. Had extra legroom in Economy Plus. Boeing 757 was very comfortable. Food was surprisingly good. Their "Asian Vegetarian" option was a really nice Indian curry. Soft drinks, coffee, and tea are complimentary and are frequently offered throughout the flight. Crew on both sectors were accommodating and very pleasant. They made quite an effort to make sure we were well fed and hydrated. I was travelling with two very young children, and the crew constantly came up to our row and checked in on us. It made us feel welcomed and relaxed. Great in-flight entertainment with lots of great video on demand. Would definitely fly with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by Cassandra Leen    (USA)

I was very disappointed with the service and overall experience I received from this airline, I had a flight out of Fort Lauderdale Airport at 7.45 am I had arrived early around 6 am with my 4 month old infant. We boarded the flight on time, everything seemed to be going as planned until the flight was delayed due to some electrical in the control panel. We ended up sitting on this flight for a good 2 hours waiting as they kept saying sorry and we will update you more in 5 minutes and then 30 minutes and overall a 2 hour wait time until they said we are sorry but we must all exit the plane and wait in line until we could get booked for another flight. Once booked for a new flight they gave us food vouchers, the new flight they booked me on was at 2.55pm, it was only 11am so I was expected to wait with an infant for another 3 hours - a long day waiting me with my son. I then received a notification on my phone that the flight they rebooked me on had been delayed 90 minutes which would have meant being stuck in Houston airport where my connecting flight was but that I would have missed by the time the new flight had arrived. I was then put on another flight leaving Fort Lauderdale at 5.15pm and arriving to my destination at 11.18pm. I don't think that this was handled well at all, especially since I was carrying a child around and had only me.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 April 2015 by M Peterson    (USA)

Flight 1660, from Denver to Houston. This airline is horrible. If you have other options to fly to a location, exercise the alternative and pay whatever it costs. Delayed 5 hours. Refused to hold connecting flight despite the fact that over 30 passengers were connecting via that flight. No discounts offered on flights. No ticket offers to fly at no expense in the future to another location. Absolutely horrible customer service. Rude and ineffective agents/representatives. A company that could not care less about customer service.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by W Burke    (USA)

ROC-ORD-JAC and JAC-ORD-ROC. Outbound flights went without a hitch. ORD-JAC segment in an A-320 with new slim seats. Seats were more comfortable than I thought they would be based on previous reviews. Flight Attendants pleasant and made several passes with water for a three hour flight. Return was delayed two hours in JAC. Not a problem for me as I had a 5 hour layover scheduled in ORD. Equipment was an A320 as well and the Flight Attendants were pleasant and attentive. I would give higher marks for seat comfort except both ROC-ORD and ORD-ROC segments were on a regional partner using an ERJ-145. Seating was cramped and the small cabin is not for those with claustrophobia. In all United gets you from point A to point B. They certainly aren't JetBlue.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Ian McGrath    (Canada)

I've never actually been embarrassed to be seen travelling business class before. I met a colleague at the airport and I was wearing the same clothes for the past 2 days (they cancelled my flight and didn't return my luggage- later found out that they had reinstated the flight but didn't tell me). In front of us both, I was told by a flight agent that the flight United had booked me on was full-they didn't even book the other flight! Now my rescheduled flight is delayed another 4 hours.

United Airlines Customer review :  13 April 2015 by Jim Davison    (Canada)

Overbooked flights, planes grounded for maintenance issues, replacement aircraft with fewer seats. My flight out of Houston quickly fell apart as the original plane was both over-booked and grounded for maintenance issues. While waiting to find out if there were enough seats for everyone, stragglers who had been bumped off previous flights were given seats over those who were actually assigned to the flight. Overall, a very poorly executed attempt at damage control.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by M Fineberg    (USA)

LAX to MEL on new 787-9 Dreamliner. This is the world's longest 787 route at around 15 hours so I would not even had considered flying United if they were using their old 747 with no IFE. This flight was excellent to the point I was wondering if I was actually flying United. I was in economy plus (which is not premium economy) but the extra legroom for a small surcharge really makes a big difference for such a long flight. The plane was brand new with excellent Panasonic IFE with very clear screen, USB and power at every seat, Wi-Fi which worked well for the entire trip, good food and polite service. This was the best United flight I have ever taken and really feel they have a competitive product on this route (competing with QF A380). The only negative would be that you have to depart from the hideous terminal 7 at LAX. The return flight arrives at TBT to clear customs so think it would be much improved experience if UA international flights could depart from TBT as well.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by Carrie Daly    (USA)

Had over 3 hour delay for a flight from Chicago to San Diego. After a 1 1/3 hours they finally boarded the passengers and just as the last people were getting on they reassigned the flight crew. Had to wait another hour before a new crew showed up. Another delay because they need more fuel them once we were ready to go we had to delay again because we had to get a new flight attendant because one of them had been on for too long. Complete mismanagement by United.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by J Ridderhof    (Australia)

Travelled SYD-LAX-LAS and GCM-IAH-LAX-MEL and found the airline to be well above average. Whilst some of the aircraft are a little older, the LAX-MEL leg was on the 787-8 and we were upgraded to premium economy (economy plus) for that leg - possibly the most comfortable flight I have ever been on. Flight attendants were typically very cheerful and despite the large amount of legs, no complications with baggage. Food was fine, entertainment on the long-haul flights was pretty good. In any respect, they performed much above my expectations and don't deserve a lot of the bad rap they get on this site.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 April 2015 by R Cross    (USA)

I flew United from KIAD to DXB in economy and really liked it. I wasn't very optimistic about the airline when I read reviews on it but United surprised me with how good they were. The ticket was the cheapest I could find. I have flown on several different airlines and United served me one of the best meals I have ever had on a plane. The seats were big and comfortable since United has a good seat configuration. United uses a 3-3-3 seat configuration unlike many airlines that uses a 3-4-3 configuration on their Boeing 777's. The flight attendants were nice and helpful. The inflight entertainment was good with a lot of the latest movies and TV shows that kept me occupied the entire flight. I would recommend this airline to anyone.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2015 by Khan Irfan    (France)

I flew from Paris to St Louis (MO), transit at Newark, 3 hours flight delay from Newark to St Louis, and 4 hours flight delay on the return flight from Newark to Paris. Reasons for delay: aircraft/crew not available, plane maintenance etc. Food quantity absurd compared to other airlines. Avoid this airline even if it offers attractive prices, it is not worth it.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2015 by Mike Tigg    (Canada)

I flew to New Orleans from Toronto on Air Canada in business class on a cramped and ancient CRA jet which was very substandard compared to what it used to be, and returned on United via Newark on a 320 Airbus which was surprisingly comfortable and superior to AC in every department and for nearly half the price than Air Canada charged for the outgoing trip. I will favour United over Air Canada in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 April 2015 by Boyd David    (Australia)

Flight 839, Los Angeles to Sydney, 4th April 2015. Departed LA near enough on time, flight uneventful until approx 3/4 hr before landing. We were informed by the Captain that because of bad weather we were to be diverted to Brisbane. In Brisbane we were told to stay on the plane until further notice. With only minutes to spare before the cut off time for Pilots and Crew expired we approached the runway for our return to Sydney. We only got half way when the Captain announced we were not going to take off as their time had expired. We were taken off the plane and told to wait until a new crew could be found. Almost 12 hrs later and a frustrating lack of information we were told that finally they had a crew but no pilot, then we had a pilot but due to administration problems we could not leave. After a 15hr flight and 12 hrs sitting in an Airport we were all tired and at the end of our resolve. We finally arrived in Sydney with a loud applause from all of us passengers, 27 hrs later.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by Saketh Ram    (USA)

I have taken several flights with United in the last 2 months (DEN-BOS-ORD-PHL-DEN and DEN-IAH). The online reviews are fairly awful but I have had overall decent to good experiences. All flights have arrived on time and early on a few occasions. Inflight service was overall good, with smiling crews. Ground crews have also been reasonable good overall. I have found crews not based in EWR are in general a lot nicer. Inflight Internet worked well overall.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by James Bradley    (USA)

My son and I recently had a connecting flight from Denver to Salt Lake City. When we got off the plane the board said our flight had been cancelled. When we asked why they customer service representative told us that our flight had been chosen at random because of the weather. We were told to either wait at the airport for 12 hours or we could pay for a motel. In my opinion the motel should be provided if the airline has the ability to just randomly cancel flights. What a major inconvenience. The customer service rep was very rude and unaccommodating. I'll never fly united again.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by William Robinson    (Canada)

UA1464. We flew from Palm Springs to San Francisco, then from San Francisco to Calgary yesterday. Excellent flights, connections and service.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by D Mauro    (USA)

EWR-SJO-EWR. No-frills airline. All flights were on time, but the seats were uncomfortable and cramped, there was no free food in coach, and the flight attendants were unpleasant and unprofessional. Ever since the merger, service has declined and prices have gone up.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 April 2015 by S Sullivan    (USA)

I made my reservation months in advance. I was supposed to have an aisle seat about 5 seats from the back of the plane. When I boarded the plane, I was not in that seat. Instead, I was put in the very last row by the toilet. I had work to do and tried to power through it despite the terrible seat. The seat would not recline and the gentleman in front of me reclined so there was no room. My head was just inches from his reclined seat (I asked and he agreed not to recline all the way back). I was constantly bumped as people walked to use the toilet and the smell was terrible! I asked the steward why my seat was changed, he said it happens all the time. You think you have reserved a seat in the middle of the plane but it is really further back. Otherwise, no one would choose the back row. So I was tricked and according to the steward it happens all the time. He made no effort to apologize or make the situation right. It is one thing to realize in advance that the only open seat is by the toilet. It is another to pay that amount of money and reserved far in advance and get "placed" in the back by the smelly toilet. I put 1 star for food and beverages because I couldn't eat anything, even the food I brought on board because of the smell of the toilet. I put 1 star for the entertainment, because it required a credit card. I would have given negative for seat comfort and satisfaction if I could have. I put 1 for staff service as the man in the seat in front of me was hit in the head by the trash bag every time the stewardess went by and she didn't even seem to notice. On the plus side, it was terribly windy and the pilot did a good job with the landing.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2015 by Fallows Scott    (USA)

I booked a last minute trip from Orlando, FL to Hong Kong. The price was OK for few days notice but the in-flight experience was one I would like to forget. In the past, I flew overseas with other international airlines from abroad and most treated me and my family very good. With United it was my worst experience flying overseas. Flew from Orlando via Newark to Hong Kong direct. The seats were hard as a rock which made it very hard to sleep. The entertainment system offered all these channels and music that did not work and not available for viewing. The food was terrible and small. It was half the size of a lean cuisine dinner. They charged me $8.00 for a half a can of beer. The attitude of the flight attendants were rude. Returning back to Orlando via Chicago from Hong Kong, the flight was an hour and a half late which caused me to miss my connecting flight to Orlando. Got no sympathy from service desk and was stuck in Chicago for an extra 4 hours. I will not fly United ever again. Its not only bad service they provide, but bad attitudes and they want to change you for every single little amenity. Avoid this airline if you can.

United Airlines Customer review :  5 April 2015 by Marcel Bogaerts    (Belgium)

BRU-ORD-BRU. On the flight BRU-ORD the entertainment system was down, so we had no entertainment at all. This was announced prior to boarding, so it did not come as a bad surprise after take-off. This is not pleasant on a 9+ hours flight, but United compensated us by serving all beverages for free, including beers, wines and liquor. After dinner, the attendant even proposed to pour us a cognac, without we had to asked for us. This is proper compensation and client care. The food was airplane food, not great, but the chicken was OK and before landing in Chicago we got a hot sandwich. On the flight ORD-BRU the entertainment system was working properly, but the seatback screens on the Boeing 767 were utterly small. For dinner I ordered the pasta, which was dough and something like tomato sauce, not very tasty. Legroom was better than on most Asian airlines, and attendants were courteous and caring. I see no reason why I should not take United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2015 by Lorraine Scotson    (USA)

The flight is always too full for everyone's carry on baggage. I don't like having to make sure I'm first in line to get onboard, just so I know I don't have to check my bag. I had to check my bag the last few trip, and wait for an hour for it to come through after landing. I cannot believe they are now charging for inflight entertainment. It's one step too far.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2015 by F Paul    (USA)

ORD (Chicago) to OGG (Maui). They notified us that there would be no wi-fi on the flight. Fine. We had media- filled devices, so we could tolerate the 9-hour flight. OGG to ORD, wi-fi was 'available', but none of our devices (Android and iOS) would connect. Loading for the sign-in page would stop at 80% at the highest, but then would hang. Forget about it. Take-off was delayed for loading of 'catering supplies' (food that would be sold to us?). Flight attendants are always rude, as if, clearly, they would rather be doing something other than attending. Waving a hand for your trash, dour faces, curt language ("You need to [do this or that].") All this for the privilege of a non-stop flight at an international price. Hello, Alaska Airlines.

United Airlines Customer review :  31 March 2015 by F Paul    (USA)

ORD (Chicago O'Hare) to OGG (Maui Kahului), round trip. To Maui, it was announced that the flight (a B777) would not have wi-fi. Luckily, we brought our own electronic devices loaded with media to watch or read on. On the way back, wi-fi was available, but none of our devices was able to connect (iOS and Android), stuck in "sign in" anywhere from 20% to 80%. The home-leg departure was delayed for loading of catering supplies (i.e., food that would be for sale?). Flight attendants are rude, as if you were sitting in their furniture without asking. It's easy to use polite language and manners even if you're not sincere, yet they could not muster a minimum effort. The price for this flight is quite high, as much as ORD to an Asian destination, but it seems more like a budget flight. I guess it's because it's a straight flight (no lay-overs). Next time, I will try Alaska Air, with one stop-over at a much lower price (less than half!).

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by L Munzer    (USA)

My husband is a frequent flyer with United Airlines in his personal and business travels, without incident. In saying that, I am a reasonable person, I can understand that our flight was delayed and then cancelled due to mechanical problem. However, the rudeness of the ticket agents was a total shock to me and most of the other passengers. Staff did not seem to be equipped to handle helping people re-route their flights and were flustered and unprofessional. It is very difficult for me to express my disappointment in the way the situation was handled. The only apologies we received were from the airport security officers who showed up at gate 29. There were no announcements stating that they (the ticket agents) were going to help us with connecting flights, there were no apologies for the inconvenience of having to sleep in the airport, no announcement that first class passengers and those with small children would be found hotel rooms and others would be left to their own devices to sleep at the gate. Some water and sodas were provided but not enough for everyone. The ticket agents seemed to be "put out" in trying to help us. Isn't that their job? I believe that customer service is a huge part of any business, and if you don't have good customer service you have nothing. No food vouchers were offered unless asked for, this I found out by asking a fellow passenger where he had received his vouchers.It should have been announced that everyone would receive these after a long night sleeping at the gate. The lack of communication was shameless and again, unprofessional! I believe there needs to be some training with the staff at United Airlines Maui to help in dealing with situations such as cancelled flights and exhausted guests. And regarding the 125.00 voucher we received for the inconvenience of this debacle doesn't come close to compensating for the discomfort and inconvenience of having to sleep on a filthy airport floor! Horrible customer service made the situation even worse.

United Airlines Customer review :  28 March 2015 by K Kelly    (USA)

Recently flew SFO-IAH-EWR then EWR-ORD-SFO. First class cabin every flight. United's 737-900 series aircraft are nice but the leg room provided hardly warrants first class. Wifi failed on every leg except SFO-IAH. If you navigate off the personal entertainment offering to wifi it is impossible to get back. So if the wifi fails - which it often does on United - you have nothing. Meals were improved over past on a couple of legs, the same poor food as on the others. Wines still bad. Boarding ridiculous as Group 1 is now huge with no preference to First Class. I've flown the airline for years because of its dominance at SFO but take other Star Alliance airlines when going overseas. United had delays on both parts of return whereas others I knew on Jet Blue out of JFK (down a runway) got out on time. May be time to give up my 1K and go elsewhere.

United Airlines Customer review :  25 March 2015 by H Parker    (USA)

I had my first and hopefully last experience with United Airlines this past week. I flew round trip to Orlando with a friend for spring break. Our flight down was delayed three hours because of weather, which is admittedly not United's fault, however we missed a connection in D.C. and had to fly standby on a later flight that put us at our destination 6 hours after we were scheduled to arrive. The return flight was the real terror though. Our first leg from Orlando to Chicago was fine except for the airline insisting on checking our carry ons through to the final destination. Once in Chicago we were told our flight to Burlington was delayed due to mechanical problems. Eventually we boarded the flight an hour late and took off. We then turned back and circled O'Hare for an hour and a half due to mechanical problems before making an emergency landing and having to get off the plane. They then cancelled that flight after leaving us sitting for two hours while they tried to find another aircraft. At that point I was told there was no way to get me to Burlington before Sunday night (my original flight was Friday morning). I tried to book a flight to a nearby city and was told it was impossible to fly anything other than standby. I was booked on a confirmed seat to Albany for Saturday morning and tried two standby flights Friday night. My friend made it out but I ended up in the airport overnight (I was not offered accommodation). When I went to board my flight Saturday morning they informed me that there had been an error and the flight was overbooked. I was bounced from that flight and booked on one departing in the afternoon. The afternoon flight was cancelled due to mechanical problems and I was unable to get out until Saturday night at 11 pm. After all that they refused to even consider shipping my bag until I had landed in Albany (it had been shipped to Burlington on Friday). It is now Monday and I still have not received my bags. Their customer service is unfriendly, unhelpful, and refuses to let you speak to someone in charge. I will never fly United again and I discourage anyone from doing so unless they don't mind spending hours in an airport without their luggage.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by Mclaughlin Robert    (USA)

Business seats not up to international standards. The row of 4 seats in the middle feels like a dormitory. Excellent that an airline would invest in such sub-standard seating. United is my last Star Alliance choice for international travel.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by D Morton    (UK)

I booked my trip from UK to Florida via Newark over 8 months ago. I did not realise that the flights would be regularly cancelled or changed. First flight out of Manchester was 3 hours delayed because of staff shortage. Last flight out of Fort Lauderdale was delayed by 4 hours leaving us 30 minutes to run to gate for the flight back to Manchester. There is only one flight a day and we felt we had to make it. Most of staff were not interested in helping us. The whole United experience was a nightmare not the dream holiday we planned. Also the inflight entertainment did not work in my seat.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by Huffman Sharon    (USA)

Arrived at Calgary Airport only to find out our plane which was coming out of Denver was delayed over two hours due to weather. This will put us in Chicago too late to make our connection. This means we cannot fly out till the next morning. United will not give us a voucher for anything because the delay was not 4 or more hrs. I looked at Denver weather radar and there is no bad weather. Gate people keep saying bad weather. Maybe there was down the line but not in Denver as they are insisting. So they don't have to supply vouchers for this late leg. The week prior I was booked on flight out of Houston. They had to change equipment then we were told it would take a few minutes to do the 'paperwork'. Two hrs later they finally finished. I like being informed and being told the truth. Will not fly United anymore.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by L Matt    (USA)

I recently flew United from Shanghai to Chicago on B747-400 in Global First, seat 2A. This airline is a disaster. First, the boarding. Group 1 which includes first class had about 90 people in Shanghai, with the line stretching down the corridor. In fact, there were more people in group 1 than in group 4 or 5. So much for First Class. The front cabin of B747 is old and dirty. Seat 2A has more privacy than most but overall, the first class cabin is tight with very little privacy and people on top of each other. The seat is long and comfortable and you can sleep. The flight attendants…- one was pleasant and the other really did not care about anything. The food was horrible, cold appetizer, awful salad. The food lack warmth/taste/presentation. Breakfast was down right disgusting. Maybe this is because on the way to China I flew with ANA and the service is excellent and incomparable. Flying United is not really a first class experience in any shape or form.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by M Corbett    (USA)

I was very hesitant to fly United again for my family vacation. The first time I flew United, I ended up sleeping in the airport when my flight was cancelled. The second time, I had two delays that left me on the runway for two hours each. Today, I am done. I will never fly United again. Right now, I'm in Houston. I was supposed to be in Florida two hours ago. Instead, my family of three is sitting in a hotel room with a 4 year old who can't sleep.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by I Chuprynenko    (Greece)

25 Jan 2015, UA993 (LX3218). 1 Feb 2015, UA992 (LX3219). I swore I'd never fly United a couple of years ago, this time I didn't notice the flight was operated by United. Horrible experience. Delayed for 2 hours as always. For 9 hours flight they serve very little food, cold and bad quality. Rude attendants. No legroom, uncomfortable seats , everything is wrong with United. I know learnt to always look very closely which airline the flight is operated by.

United Airlines Customer review :  24 March 2015 by Susan Morris    (USA)

I booked a flight to Bahamas through United and it was their Silver Airlines. My flight over was late and coming back, the plane had 20 plus passengers and we were all checked in and they delayed our departure. We all missed our connecting flights. There was no apologies, no explanations. We were to depart at 2.25, finally getting off the ground at 6.25. Since I was heading to New England, there were no seats and I had to purchase a new ticket on a different airline and could only get to Hartford. That ticket cost me $600 and I am very upset with their lack of customer service. My advice, don't fly United Silver unless you have make your flights a day apart. This company didn't apologize and kept us in the dark.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2015 by S Koenig    (Brazil)

GRU-EWR-LAX r.t. in BusinessFirst. Wife and I sat in center row (2-1-2 configuration) so had lots of room. I was dreading being in the first row, since when I'd been in a similar configuration before, people stepped over my feet all night to get to rest rooms, but now the seats are "suites," so no problem. Very comfortable, fully lie- flat seats. Food was actually pretty good. Service good. Nice array of films. We chose United for this trip due to price, but were pleasantly surprised by how nice it was. Only two bags up to 70 lbs. each, even in biz (some airlines allow 3), but overall we were happy. All of our flights were calm but if there was any possibility of turbulence, I'd want the announcement to fasten seat belts to be audible to all, even those asleep, not just on video screens (as one reviewer suggested).

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2015 by John Robert    (USA)

My family and I were flying from Cancun to San Antonio with what was supposed to be a short stop in Houston. Because the plane departed late from Cancun we made it through the long lines and customs with 15 minutes left to make our gate. That is until they called me back and said they won't take my luggage. I asked why and was told there was not enough time. We told them we could easily make it to the gate and they refused to let us go. Instead we were sent to the ticket counter to. Rebook our flight. That is when we were told the flights were booked and we might not leave till the next day. They were not willing to work with us at all and it just infuriated us more. We asked to speak to the manager and he also came off as arrogant and took no responsibility for our situation. We ended up having words with him that got us nowhere. That was the last flight with United that we will take.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2015 by Jordan Hilbert    (USA)

I traveled from Minneapolis to New York and didn't have to check my suitcase at all. Then, on my way back to Minneapolis I had to check my bag at LaGuardia airport in NY. I don't understand why I have to check my bag on the way back but not on the way there. The baggage people were not the nicest and it definitely wasn't an ideal situation. I had to pay a fee that I wasn't planning on paying, and I shouldn't have had to pay it. From this experience, I would not fly United Airlines again.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 March 2015 by G Moore    (Canada)

YOW-EWR-PBI on the Sunday of March Break. Both flights on time, using Embraer emb-145 and brand-new Boeing 737-900er with scimitar winglets and boeing sky interior. Ground and flight crew really polite and helpful, with special mention for the check-in agent at YOW for being a brilliant help. Both flights on time with good seat comfort (I am 5'11", 160 lbs.) with the real treat being the new plane and the boeing sky interior. My only gripe was the lack of IFE on the almost 3 hour EWR-PBI leg, but with a book and music, it was no big deal. Would recommend United for a reliable (but not outstanding) trip quality.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by S Matta    (USA)

With so many carriers to choose from why would anyone fly United. We flew from San Fran to Boston and were never offered a glass of water. There was no entertainment offered. On the flight out it cost $7.99 for DirectTV and it was not worth it. The 'food' offerings were terrible (Pringles? Trail mix?). There is no leg room and seats barely recline. Is this airline for real?

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Vermeire Frank    (USA)

We set out from Omaha, NE approx. 6am to arrive in Kona, HI on Feb. 5th at approx 2.30pm. We had connecting flights in Denver and LAX. We sat on the runway in Omaha for 1.5 hrs with maintenance issues and paperwork, past our connecting flight departure time out of Denver. At Denver, they shuffled us back and forth between customer service and the boarding gate, finally they ended up booking us on a flight to Oahu, then Hawaiian Airlines to Kona. When we arrived in Oahu, they had no record of us, saying United did not have us booked to Kona. After waiting for everyone to board, they were able to get us on. We arrived in Kona approx. 6.5 hrs after we expected to, missing a 1/2 a day of our vacation time, any activities we had booked, and no luggage! Our luggage arrived about 11pm at night. Our return flight was not any better. We arrived at the airport early and was told they had a flight leaving shortly and room on it. With our Kona bound experience we thought it may be a good idea to have more time. Before we boarded they had hydraulic problems, and the flight was delayed. We were told our tickets were gone for our originally booked flight. So we waited, and for once we made it in time for our connecting flight to Denver, until we boarded the plane and the starter went out on the plane they brought it back in, fixed it, but not before we missed our connecting flight from Denver to Omaha. By now we were wondering if this was normal for United? At Denver, again we were shuffled around until they finally found a flight into Omaha for us. Our flight experience with United was well below satisfactory levels. The maintenance issues should be a concern for United. I wonder what their Preventative Maintenance plan looks like, if they have one at all, and or if they should reconsider their Union, as paperwork should not take that long. Not sure we will ever Fly United again. On the positive side we made it there and back!

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by Jeanette Frederick    (USA)

I have never experienced such horrible service as I did this past weekend. I purchased my tickets on Jan 30, 2015 for a trip on March 8, 2015. Arriving at my destination was a pleasant experience, the return was horrible, upon receiving my boarding passes I did have a seat assigned in which when I bought my tickets I choose my desired seats. All of this occurred at the Washington Dulles Airport, First of all I did not have a seat due to no seating being assigned to me and was told I may not have one due to overbooking. The flight ended up being cancelled due to the crew being late, so therefore I was not able to get home because no other flights were being booked for my destination. Spent the night in the airport and when I did reach my destination the next morning my luggage had not yet been shipped. This is terrible service being that this was my first time using United.

United Airlines Customer review :  17 March 2015 by N Call    (USA)

This was my first time flying with United. I took a trip from Kona, HI to Salt Lake City, UT. After 30 minutes and not taking off we finally discovered the fuel pump was out. Problems happen, so that wasn't an issue. But they continued to have us sit on the airplane for 3 hours and got upset when people stood up, even though the plane was not moving. After the three hours they confirmed the flight was canceled. They set everyone up with a hotel and a new flight which was excellent. My next two flights were delayed for over 25 min of the original take-off time, making people rush if they had a connecting flight. I was not at all satisfied with how the trip went. My one day of travel turned into three days. On the newer planes the seats were comfortable. The staff were always well mannered and helpful. The food and beverages were good, and the inflight entertainment wasn't great, but there were a few options on the bigger planes. The small planes only had magazines, which are not entertaining at all. I would not recommend United to anyone I care about.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 March 2015 by Jodi Zigler    (USA)

We booked a flight from BWI to IAH for 2/22 at 7.10 am and were scheduled to arrive in Houston at 9.45 am. Instead, we did not arrive until about 8pm. It was an all day ordeal and we lost an entire day of our vacation. United had mechanical issues on flight 234, but after many delay announcements, it took them until about noon to cancel the flight. We sat on the plane for a short while, then for many hours in the airport until they cancelled it. Then we had to go all the way back out to check-in to wait in a line for about another 2 hours to be told there were no flights at BWI to Houston that day. United employees were few and far between, not nearly enough to handle the re-booking of an entire flight. Eventually we were bussed to the Dulles airport for a 4.30 flight to Houston. We were not given any food and United employees were short-tempered and quite helpless. I heard other passengers say they received food vouchers, so I couldn't help but wonder why we were not given anything. Maybe it was because we were Travelocity customers rather than direct customers with United or maybe it was because we were very easy and never mouthy or difficult with anyone. On our flight from Dulles to IAH, I was seated in a middle seat separated from my husband which was very difficult because of all the turbulence and my motion sickness. Our experience with United when flying back started out much the same - computers down, very long lines and few United employees to help. After check-in, the process finally improved and our flight back to BWI was smooth and uneventful.