United Airlines Passenger Reviews and United Airlines Customer Trip Reports

a World 3-Star Airline

a World 3-Star Airline

United Airlines
3.0 Star Rating: Fair

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by C Kim    (USA)

Just completed a series of three flights back to back. The flight attendants and all other aspects of the flight were passable, but with that said that's as far as it seems to go. United has gotten me back, to and from in one piece, but nothing from my 10 hour journey with them in a single day has been impressionable, which brings me to conclude that perhaps that's all this airline is trying to achieve unlike some of its peers. Back and forth from Los Angeles to Austin, I was able to get some rest and the buy on board food purchase wasn't half bad. The flight attendants on most of my flights were much younger than the usual veteran crew that I encounter on their flights, therefore enthusiastic. At the end of the day, United may not be my first choice, but it gets me there.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by S Daniels    (USA)

Fantastic business class flight from Chicago to Shanghai in upper deck of United Airlines 747-400. Attentive and friendly crew and great food - exceeding business class food on many international airlines. Entertainment system also has excellent offerings. United Business First Seat is very comfortable and creates the perfect lie-flat environment for plenty of restful sleep. I haven't flown United's business class in a few years and was pleasantly surprised.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by P Pomeranze    (USA)

Oct 7 SF to Kona, First Class. At the prices they charge even in this age of low expectations I was shocked at the experience of this trip. To begin with the aircraft used, a 737 is just inappropriate for a five hour trip. The legroom was ridiculous for any class of service but unbelievable for a premium ticket. When the gentleman in front of me reclined his seat I had absolutely no space left. In coach one has come to expect this but not at these prices. I was one of two people judging from the upgrade list posted who paid full fare and that resulted in a full cabin. The flight attendants tried hard but United gave them nothing to work with. The breakfast served was small and awful, there was only non fat milk for coffee and the food was inedible. The flight was timed to leave at 9.44 to avoid serving a more expensive lunch by one minute. The cost cutting is unbelievable, the experience absolutely horrific to be avoided at any cost. Back to Hawaiian Airlines I go - the extra stop required is well worth it.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by E Rodriguez    (Canada)

GVA-IAD. United needs to update its fleet flying to Europe. It is incredible the type of screens they have (a bit bigger than a smartphone). How will they ever compete with other airlines? Sadly, nothing special.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by James Manner    (Sweden)

Flew Oct 6th, LAS-ORD on an ancient B-757. Like a trip back in history, albeit not a good one! No idea why United still flies these ancient planes with pretty much original interior from the 80's. Chose Premium economy as it was 3,5h flight, 79$ for this was just a scam pretty much. Got 5 extra inches leg room and that's it. Would have been nice with at least a free sandwich or whatever. Guess US carriers are still years behind European and Asian one's. Why not just call it what it is, extra leg room seats? Spent 3h playing on the phone as United appears to address their customers as idiots as this was a morning flight with mostly business passengers, yet still playing a cartoon movie on the overhead monitors. Talk about missing your target. Several items on the menu also ran out, was sitting on row 2 so guess they just dont care to stock up on items, guess what United, that's another way to miss income from your passengers. Am a Star Alliance Gold member and will never choose United again as my first choice alternative in the states.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by Michael Rooney    (USA)

Friday 26 Sep 2014, my wife and I went to BTV for what we thought were two legs of a flight on United Airlines that would get us into SFO at 12.40 PT. We actually arrived at approximately 02.30 PT on Saturday, about 14 hours late. Part of the delay was caused by someone starting a fire in the FAA control tower at ORD. I have no complaints with United about that. My complaint with United is its total lack of communication on that Friday and on the return the following Friday. On the first leg from BTV to ORD, United kept telling us we had to wait an hour. We could not leave, we had to sit there, with no information, hour by hour, from 07.00 to 16.00. The only thing we were told was our connections would be okay because they could not fly either. United even put us on the plane and pulled away from the gate at about 12.30. Then they brought us back to the gate and had us deplane and wait some more. Finally, we left at about 16.00 and got to ORD expecting to get on the flight to SFO we were told was waiting. Imagine our surprise and anger to find the flight had left hours before. We were told we would have to stay the night in Chicago at our expense and leave in the morning! When I asked what about getting on the SFO flight the customer service person said it was fully booked and had a wait list. When I pushed the agent did put us on the wait list. One piece of luck, we got on the plane. It was late enough that other people did not show. We spent the week in SFO and went to the airport in plenty of time. We had checked in for the return flight when we checked in for the outbound flight online. We went to the kiosk to check-in and there was no reservation. The agent at SFO was able to get us on the plane somehow, so we relaxed again, almost as much as we were when we went to the airport. Then she hit us with an unwarranted baggage charge. It was unwarranted because we used a United MileagePlus card for the flight. Despite realizing we had not been charged for the bags on the way out to SFO she would not believe us they should not be charged for. When we got to ORD, we discovered our flight to BTV was not our originally scheduled 3 hour layover but an 8 hour layover. Again, there was no communication from the SFO agent to us about changing our second leg, it was just done. After a lot of talking we got onto our originally scheduled flight and got home on schedule.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by H Kleiven    (Australia)

I travelled with United alone with a 16 month old and 4 yr old twins from Australia to Los Angeles, to Memphis, Orlando and back to Australia. We got the cheapest fare available with anyone and my expectations were low. United were great! Good and helpful staff, good entertainment for twins, when we missed a flight we were promptly rebooked and paid no fees, food was not excellent but fine. This was a very welcome surprise - well done United!

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Bell Julie    (UK)

I flew from Manchester Airport and was flying to Newark, then had a connection flight to Rochester. As soon as I checked in I was told they had overbooked and asked us to fly to London first. I explained that we had a connection flight to Rochester and we were attending my nephews wedding so couldn't have any delays. We were then told there was no seats on the Rochester flight. After a lot of arguing they got us on the 1st flight to Newark and then found us flights on the Rochester flight but the 4 of us would not be seated together. I had 2 children with us and was not happy but just pleased to get the flights. Coming home we were delayed 3 times from Rochester. Our connection flight from Newark was boarding at 6.30pm, we got off our flight from Rochester at 7.05pm and had to run for 10 minutes to catch the flight, my daughter has asthma and struggled, however we just made the flight. I wouldn't book with United again as they did not make either of my journeys relaxed and enjoyable.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by Lake Sruart    (UK)

Travelled LHR to SFO - flight fairly full, food good and seat plus fine. SFO to EWR - ordinary seat ok, snack tasty, no problems. Later EWR to LHR, again food fine and snack quite acceptable. We had no problems on 3 flights - only thing to complain about having to pay for t.v from SFO to EWR.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by L Ormerod    (UK)

Manchester to New York before flying to Las Vegas - all flights with United. Staff were terrible. They were completely uninterested in any one of the passengers and we we're treated as a huge inconvenience. The food was horrendous. When we flew from New York to Vegas things got even worse - we had a 5-hour flight with no entertainment. If we wanted something to eat or drink they wanted paying for it and the prices were ridiculous - the free tea, coffee or juice were disgusting so we stayed away from them for the entire flight. Again the crew were abysmal to say the least. We will never fly with United again. We have travelled a lot of long haul in the last ten years and I have never experienced anything as shoddy as United - what a start to the holiday you spend forever saving up for.

United Airlines Customer review :  14 October 2014 by N Burkoski    (Canada)

Travelled on a connecting flight from Toronto to Houston TX en route to Rio de Janeiro. Flight from Toronto was inexplicably delayed. Upon arrival in Houston, taxied to the gate only to find another plane at the assigned gate. Had to re-taxi to another gate arriving 5 minutes before scheduled departure to Rio de Janeiro. In spite of pleas from more than half the passengers regarding connecting flights, flight attendants stated it was out of their control to deal with. Upon deplanning, the Customer Service representative appeared over-whelmed with the situation and was of no assistance other than to direct all connecting passengers to the Customer Service Desk in Concourse C. The representative at the desk was of little assistance other than booking us on the next evening flight with non-adjacent seat assignments. Was not provided with the Premier Boarding package that I had booked and paid for in advance. We were told that we would not have access to our luggage and we were offered accommodations at a sub-par hotel chain which we declined. Also offered two $7 meal vouchers for a 24 hour period (which I also declined). Upon arrival the next evening, gate staff were less than courteous. Certainly such delays occur when flying however, the issue of not holding connecting flights when some 40 passengers are affected is not acceptable. This is especially true when arriving at or very near the scheduled departure time of the connecting flights and considering that such connection times are offered by the airline. Enhanced public relations by United staff would also go a long way in appeasing disgruntled passengers. That being said, the regional jet from Toronto to Houston was new and very roomy. The premium economy seats on the B777 was also comfortable.

United Airlines Customer review :  9 October 2014 by J Joseph    (Canada)

We had a great experience with United Airlines on our return flight from Ottawa (Canada) to Phoenix connecting through Chicago O'Hare. Our flight to Phoenix was smooth and on time. The only thing missing was inflight entertainment. Our return flight was complicated by the fact that a disgruntled employee set a fire to a centre governing the flights through both Chicago airports on the Friday before our Sunday departure. We called the United 1-800 number and got through to an agent quite quickly. She was extremely helpful and could not find us an alternate flight with United so arranged for us to take a flight from Phoenix to Philadelphia and Philadelphia to Ottawa with US airways. We departed and arrived at a very similar flight to our original flight with United. This was the best service that I have ever received in a difficult situation like this. We had a very tight connection on the way back and our baggage arrived on the flight with us. Good job United!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by D Fuluvaka    (USA)

Flew from Tucson AZ to Kona HI today. Horrible trip!. In Tucson the ticket agents argued and snapped at each other in front of the customers. The Tucson-LAX portion was fine, the flight attendant was very professional and as I was traveling with a handicapped companion she was very helpful. The flight from LAX to Kona Hawaii however was awful. The flight attendants were rude, short tempered and often ignored passengers questions. This was a five and a half hour flight to not even provide peanuts as a snack is ridiculous considering the cost of the food available for purchase. I will say the ground crew in Tucson, LAX and Kona were fantastic and really went out of their way to help out. My issue is that the ground crew doesn't work for United and I didn't buy my ticket from them. United seriously need to work on their customer service relations!

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by C Tasker    (New Zealand)

On a recent trip we flew 3 times with United. The first flight was on 9 September, and we flew from Vancouver to Denver with a stopover en route to Albuquerque. These seats were all booked by a travel agent, and confirmed 5 months prior to travel. On the first flight my husband and I were seated separately - I was seated behind my husband. We were given water and/or soft drink during the flight. The attendants were very brisk, and almost rude in the 'service' they offered. But, the flight did leave and arrive on time. The connecting flight, however was not such a straight forward experience. When we went to the check-in we were informed by the staff that the flight had been over booked, and that we, at that stage were the over booked people. They did not apologise, in fact they treated us very rudely. They spent the next hour and a half offering 2 passengers other flights, hotel accommodation and $500 flight vouchers each in an effort to allow us to board the flight. Eventually, and approximately 3 mins before the flight doors were to close after boarding, and after I stood at the counter for around 10 mins they informed me that we could board. Again, we were seated separately, with my husband at the back of the plane, and me sitting at the front. Never any apology. Our third flight was on the 13 September, and we flew from Albuquerque to LAX in readiness for our flight back to Auckland, NZ. The staff at the airport were, again, rude. Our flight left more or less on time, and the flight staff were great, bright, and friendly. They actually appeared to be enjoying their job, and treated the passengers with friendliness and courtesy. We actually managed to sit together on this flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by McCoy Mike    (USA)

I have the United app and I was checking on the situation in Chicago from the day before - was not told anything until I was stuck in the airport away from freedom when the agent told me the first leg into Chicago was delayed 2 hours and the 2nd leg from Chicago to San Diego had a connection I was not going to make because of the time I get in - it was the last flight out of Chicago for the night. The Agent was amazing and put me on another airline that would get me home to my family. Forever grateful! Once on the plane to Chicago the 1st class flight attendant was very attentive and extremely caring. When I asked if there were any snacks she said that the previous flight had depleted the stock. When I informed her about my birthday flights and the problems I was having she went all out. She offered me her own personal snack out of her purse with a smile. Selfless and sincere. She was a blessing to my day. As I left she handed me a "care package" of treats she was able to scrounge up on the plane for and offered me a happy birthday wish. She and the gate attendant both made my long hours and travel home to my family not just bearable but enjoyable.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by Karl Moosbrugger    (Austria)

FRA-IAD, and next morning IAD-MIA in business. FRA-IAD flight had to return to gate to get some loose freight container fixed, so plane left with 2 hour delay. Otherwise flight was fine. Seats were reasonably comfortable, entertainment OK. The inflight service was excellent with a delicious menu and very attentive flight attendants who regularly walked around with drinks and snacks. Baggage delivery at IAD was very fast. Domestic connection next morning also fine. Friendly and efficient check-in. Seats were comfortable and flight left on time. On the domestic leg they served drinks and a warm cookie. Baggage delivery on arrival reasonably quick.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by H Cody    (USA)

I recently traveled from Arkansas where I was visiting my family, back to Honolulu, HI where I am currently stationed in the US Air Force. On the last flight, as I was boarding, I was informed that my seat had been moved. When booking the flight I paid extra to have an exit row aisle seat, because I have bad knees and needed the extra leg room. I was instead placed in the middle seat of a non exit row. The staff made no explanation regarding my seat change, did not offer their apologies, and did not seem to have any concern over the money I had lost paying for a seat that I did not end up having. I am extremely frustrated with this service and will encourage all of my friends to fly with a different airline. This kind of treatment is unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by R Foulkes    (USA)

First class sure isn't what it used to be. On a round trip from Dulles to Vegas, both times they ran out of cereal before they took my breakfast order, so all they had to offer were some nasty eggs, broccoli casserole and dried out croissants. Apparently they only stock enough cereal for 1/2 of first class? Really? For a $1378 ticket, I want my freaking cereal, not food poisoning. The clincher was that they charge first class passengers for wi-fi access. They should be ashamed. Only a half notch above economy, if that much.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by K Kenneth    (Singapore)

SYD-SFO-SYD: Flew in late September. I got the same plane for both legs of the journey, which looks rather old. There appears to be more Economy Plus seats than Economy seats. Plane had a dodgy IFE for the entire section of seats I was seating. My own AVOD was jammed and could not be reset. Food was barely edible for dinner, but it got better for breakfast and drinks were forthcoming. Legroom was okay. From the US leg I had to use the kiosk to check in, but it refused to print my ticket and required a staff to assist me. I was disappointed with quality of the airline overall because I would have expected US-based airlines to have a superior standard. If you are flying on a budget, this may be for you but otherwise you might want to look elsewhere.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by J Kearns    (USA)

Our flight from Boston to Denver was delayed by an hour. We approached the service desk in Boston when notified about the delay because we had a very short layover on our way to Seattle. We were told all connecting flights would be fine, and that they would make up the time in the air. It wasn't until we were almost to Denver that they bothered to inform us of the added time to the flight, and we arrived just in time to see our next plane depart. They did put us up in a hotel for free, and got us on the next flight out the next morning, only to have that plane stop mid-takeoff due to a plane malfunction. If the staff had been gracious and accommodating during this nightmare, it might not have been so bad, but they had the nerve to tell us it was our fault for not having a longer layover (as if we had a choice). Never flying with United again, if we ever get back to Seattle.

United Airlines Customer review :  6 October 2014 by S Bramwell    (UK)

SFO-LAS, short flight on a 737 - flight departed about 25mins late, arrived a bit late, seats comfortable for a short flight. The flight did what it said on the tin. However, in my years of flying I've seen nothing like it! Onboard no crew at the door, sat down and noticed people across from me put three large bags by their feet and then put tray tables down to cover them. Crew failed to spot this on a few occasions but eventually did ask 'can you put your tray table up' walked away before they seeing the bags. Crew served drinks by just looking at you, no thank you, no hello, nothing! The flight had a free gift of cards given out - thrown at you of course. On leaving the flight the crew were at the front chatting. First time I've flown United is the last based on crew attitude - no smile, no communication.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Margaret Grace    (USA)

My initial flight from CA to Denver was delayed for 2 hours - no explanation. From this delay I missed the connecting United flight from Denver to Peoria. I was given tickets to flyig into Chicago - arriving 2 am with a ticket to Peoria the following morning. Of course no luggage as it was already re-routed and person at ticket counter at 2 am did not have access into the "holding" area. Traveling with my sister we were left in Chicago 2am - no hotel - no luggage- no vouchers- just be back in morning for 8 am flight to Peoria. United could do so much better with customer service - none of the United attendants seem to be concerned about a flight filled with unhappy customers - they just repeat their scripted message. The attendant at the end handing out flight information was rude to anyone who asked a question.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by J Jerks    (USA)

My husband and daughter had nothing but troubles with their recent flights. Part of their flight home (a 50 min flight from Chicago to Green Bay) was cancelled with no alternatives. They ended up having to rent a car to get home in time for the next day of work and school. United did not offer any compensation for the cancelled flight nor the car rental. Their customer service lacked immensely and the communication on the flight cancellation was obsolete. We will never fly with United again!

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by J Wallace    (USA)

Tel Aviv to Newark in Business Class. Security was quick but the airline did check for beverages in the carry-on bags as I entered the 777-200 airplane don't purchase drinks for the flight. One hour forty-five minutes after a smooth take-off they turned off the fasten seatbelt sign but then turned it back on four minutes later. A recorded message said, "Ladies and Gentlemen, the captain has turned on the fasten seatbelt sign. Please make sure your seatbelt is securely fastened". The flight attendants then repeated the message in English and Hebrew. This happened five more times during the 12 hour flight which made sleeping difficult. Breakfast was served one hour before landing and the flight attendants did a great job. It would be nice if they could turn down the volume of the recorded message as it made sleeping difficult.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by M Bonham    (USA)

I am currently sitting on a brand new United Airlines plane using their "United Airlines WiFi Beta". First off, I am sitting in front of an exit row. I was never notified that my chair will not recline. Why did United notify me when I was selecting my seat? Next question, why does United Airlines WiFi Beta not allow video streaming? GoGo WiFi works very well given the circumstances of being inflight when streaming videos. If you are going to force your passengers to use your WiFi, please offer a superior solution than what currently exists or just use GoGo or another service that already does a great job. Why was I not notified that this brand new plane would not have TVs? I expected to have TVs in a brand new plane. If these new planes must have so many hours to be certified before TVs can be installed, why do passengers not receive a discount on the flight and notified before purchasing the ticket? I feel like the staff, the plane, and the overall experience is geared to "securing" your safety which is great but every airline does that. Please don't use "my safety" as an excuse to give poor service. I can hop on a safe flight with any airline, I want an airline who thinks of the small things that I mentioned above. They have the capital, they have the people, how do they miss the small things I mentioned above?

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by J Wallace    (USA)

Newark to Munich in Business Class with a rude Continental crew. When I plugged in my headset which was located behind me, my tablecloth came off my tray and the flight attendant said, "your making a mess." When I got up to use the toilet in the back of the Business Class cabin, the toilet was occupied, so I waited in the aisle because I know flight United flight attendants don't like people waiting in their galley. With a hand motion the flight attendant told me to move back another few inches. Breakfast was served 1.5 hours before landing. The fasten seatbelt sign had been on for five hours straight and passengers were told to prepare for landing. The plane was still at 36,000 feet and there was still 40 minutes before landing. Within one minute, the flight attendant was moving my seat to the landing position and said, "your not paying attention." It doesn't take 40 minutes to prepare for a smooth landing. If you are looking for a pilot that says, I'll be turning the fasten seatbelt sign on soon for landing, so if you need to use the restroom, now would be a good time to do this, don't pick this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 September 2014 by Gongora Angie    (Canada)

Took an economy class flight from Burlington to Bogota, with a stop in Newark. On the flight over from Newark to Bogota a 6 hour flight, the AC was on full blast, I was freezing so I asked the flight attendant for a blanket, told that they don't provide blankets or pillows. They don't provide food on the flight! A 6 hour international flight without food is unacceptable, they want you to pay 10$ for poor quality plane food. On top of all of the above mentioned you have to pay for inflight entertainment, 7.50$ for 4 hours! In summary, I had a 6 hour flight with no food, no entertainment and freezing up.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Mordey Stephen    (UK)

I've been a Mileage Plus member and a United frequent flyer since 1995. The programme can offer outstanding benefits if your travel needs match their network. I recently flew LHR to EZE via IAH. And this was fairly typical of my travels in recent years. I booked an itinerary in economy class and upgraded using miles and a cash fee. All flights were upgraded to business first, well in advance of my departure. All flights offer lie flat seating. Sleeping for several hours on long haul sectors comes easily. Service is most often generous, food is not luxurious, but is well presented, tasty and enjoyable. Particularly the fish dishes which are my first choice. Drinks are plentiful, I love the cheese course, rounded off with an ice cream sundae, served to order. Followed by a liqueur and coffee. During UA958 from ORD to LHR on the morning of Sept 18th, I awoke to discover that my passport had fallen from my pocket and was rested in an impossible to reach location beneath the structure of my seat. I requested some assistance from a flight attendant in the galley hoping that this might be offered after landing. The professional concerned simply picked up a flashlight and a large serving fork. The flight attendant lay flat on the floor and successfully retrieved my passport for me. All done with a smile and a great attitude. While criticisms often aired in forums such as this sometimes come with fair justification. On a good day, and certainly with increasing frequency, I find the level of service on board United Airlines to be improved, and sometimes outstanding. I am a 1K and million mile flyer. I am confident that I will continue to be. There are some lovely people in the friendly skies!

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by C Damato    (USA)

UA635, LAS to LA, 15 Sept 2014. UA 306, LAX to BWI, 15 Sept. The worst thing that has happened is United merging with Continental. Having been a million mile flyer on Continental, I find the flight schedules on United a total mess. Always a hub connection whether it's Chicago, Denver, Houston, Cleveland, LA or San Francisco always inconvenient and time consuming. Boarding process is archaic, Southwest can unload, reload and leave in the time it takes United Passengers to Board. Always delays and excuses. Give me Southwest any day, no Mickey Mouse seat charges, baggage charges, have a decent amount of non stop flights, plus at least you get peanuts more than I can say I get from United's unhappy flight attendants.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Roger Geisler    (USA)

Very dissatisfied! Today I had a flight from Charleston to Phoenix with a one hour lay over in Houston. Very little time to switch terminals but scheduled by United. While waiting I learned the Charleston flight was delayed by 30 minutes. Told by flight attendant that this is due to one crew member coming late to the flight causing the delay. Now I have 30 min to get to flight which will not happen and have to stay night in Houston. United has reserved flight at 07.30 next morning. Problem: Parking has been prepaid on my vehicle only until my arrival time. My luggage is already in Phoenix as it left on earlier flight. No reservations in Houston for stay. No meal arrangements. I will refuse to travel with United in the future. Just a note. United has offered meal vouchers and hotel.

United Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2014 by Qadi Z Jalisi    (UK)

Travel agent persuaded me to buy economy plus seat tickets at £960 per person for travel on 22nd August 2014. The seats for outward journey LHR-Washington was 19G and E which was fine, but on return journey our seats were 27 G and H These seats are just like any normal cheap economy seats. As usual the leg room felt the same as cheap economy seat, the space between two aisle seats was the same. Trolley kept hitting passengers. The food was of poor quality on both legs. The seat were sold by their agent claiming that the Economy Plus class is just as good as Premium class of other airlines and few hundred pounds cheaper.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by J Trusky    (USA)

The first leg of my trip from Buffalo NY Washington D.C. (IAD-Dulles) was three hours late departing. Weather was fine. September 12, 2014. They didn't have a plane? Why sell tickets for "ghost flight". My return flight from Washington D.C. (IAD-Dulles) was Sept. 15, 2014. Supposed to depart 8.15 am, arrive in Buffalo NY 9.35 am. At 7.45 am they text me with a flight delay of 30 minutes. At 8 am they announce that the flight is cancelled because of no crew. Another ghost flight. Go to Customer service where they tell me they can get me home at 11 pm that night, which is 9 hours later. I say no. They can put me on US Aiways but I have to go to Reagan National airport. I have no way of getting there, so they put me on a shuttle. My checked luggage (which I had checked in at United) ends up in Norfolk VA. I fly on the 4 pm flight from Reagan airport on US Airways to Buffalo NY and get home at 5 pm. I will never fly United again. I have used them for over five years for my flights to D.C. where my son and grandchildren live. The plane was dirty and noisy. The US Airways plane was at least a jet and it was clean and staff were professional.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Hillar Brandt    (Spain)

CCS-IAH-MIA and back, Business class. Never have I flown another airline with this kind of awful service, small airplanes and old smelly seats, pretty uncomfortable for business class. Rude attendants was quite bossy, boarding is odd, you have a business boarding pass and start wondering how many people fit in that section of the plane before they allow you to board. I have a feeling they inherited the bad service from Continental. One thing is sure, no one in his right mind, after flying any European, Asian or Latin American airline like me, will surely never set foot on United's planes again.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by C Arnesen    (Canada)

LAS-ORD-AMS. I try to like United, but the delays have become too much. Initially booked LAS-IAD and onward SN connection to BRU. Aircraft change on LAS-IAD led to being bumped onto LAS-ORD-IAD-BRU. Unworkable as ORD layover was only 50 minutes and my parents on separate ticket weren't bumped. Ultimately accepted change to LAS-ORD-AMS on UA metal, but with upgrade to E+ for trouble, which was appreciated. Tight layover of 75 minutes in ORD. Morning LAS-ORD flight delayed 60 minutes despite good weather across the country. UA agent offered next day's flight if we missed our connection, I had to push hard and literally read out each flight number on alternative LH, LX, and UA flights. Agent was in the end helpful in taking my instructions, protecting us on LH flight from ORD-FRA-AMS if flight was missed. Stress remained high; paid for Wifi on ORD to monitor situation. Arrival gate repeatedly changed, adding to stress of possible connection success. All the while, ORD-AMS flight delayed 40 minutes, yet never appeared on UA website or advised by crew throughout LAS-ORD flight. Frantic disembarkment of flight and did not learn of delay until arrived at gate. Set aside improving its operation, UA could avoid stress and hassle of employees and pax if it could at least learn how to communicate situations and update flight status's. Seatmate had experienced same mess the day before but unfortunately did have to wait 24 hours for the next UA flight to AMS. ORD-AMS an hour late, though ironically great news for us. The infamous and ancient B763 Ghetto Bird, window covered in sticky goo, but led to free apology wine from FA after I called attention to it and personally cleaned it. Announcements in Dutch noticed and appreciated. Crew notably pleasant. Baggage made connection, which was merciful. Food markedly worse than AC and European carriers. Delays are too routine, however, and with the watering down of MP program, I have already actively booked away from US carriers when flying to Europe on next two flights, both from the States and Canada. Return on AC B772 was on time and more comfortable all around - food, IFE, seat.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by J Voss    (USA)

As a Platinum customer I fly a lot with United and it is amazing how bad United has become over the last 5 years. Not only did they delay today's departure for a little bit of rain in DC and called it a thunderstorm, but they also let our connection leave without us for our honeymoon. I am less frustrated when it is a business trip as I always expect that United does not make its connections. Last year I did not have a single flight on time and missed 6 flights. The business class had very uncomfortable seats, the staff made the same announcement every 20 minutes for about 2 hours, that we would be a little bit late. Then they made another announcement that someone would be waiting with information for us in Munich. All we were told at Munich airport was to go to the Lufthansa Service Center. The service agent sen us immediately to the departure gate but did not let the airplane know that there were multiple customers coming. So the plane left 5 minutes before we arrived at the gate after a wild goose chase through Munich airport. After flying for years and being vegetarian, I usually bring my own food as I am over the monotonous and tasteless food they serve, but today I flew business and I wanted some champagne and a meal. It is always the same and the quality of the food has gone downhill and the dessert has also not changed in the last 5 years. The purser came and apologized in person, big deal, however she did not have any information for those that got stranded in Munich.What about their new security video, between images with kangaroos and people sitting in seats on the beach, you get completely lost in their new bizarre security video. As an educator I can guarantee that not 1/3 of people have afterwards a clue of what was said because this looks more like a reality TV series or a bad infomercial. I have been to Africa, Peru and Europe on three long flights and the movies between these directions do not change. In the last 6 weeks I have seen almost all of what is worth seeing so that's why I gave the Entertainment 1 star. All in all, stay away from United, flying with United is no fun anymore, the individual customer does not make any difference to United.

United Airlines Customer review :  20 September 2014 by Carol Massey    (USA)

6012, IAH to LIT non-stop flight due to leave IAH at 12.50 pm cancelled. Reason given was bad weather in Little Rock area. No bad weather in area so that was a bogus excuse. Re-routed to Chicago into LIT. Missed connecting flight in Chicago. Finally caught flight to LIT at 8.30 pm. Upon arrival at LIT, could not get bags which had come in on an earlier flight. Terrible service and nobody involved seemed to care.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by Katyare Reena    (India)

Had a very bad experience with United Airlines. While travelling from EWR to MSP, we boarded the aircraft and were kept sitting for 1 hour, then we were told that there were some technical issues so we changed aircraft. Second aircraft also made us wait for one and half hours due to a fuelling issue. Coming back from MSP to EWR, the flight was delayed an hour. I will never fly again with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by J Engels    (Netherlands)

ORD-AMS overnight on B767 in Biz Class, lousy service by uninterested cabin staff, food barely edible. Late departure, late arrival. Will try to avoid.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by E Moss    (USA)

I was supposed to fly direct from Indianapolis to Washington Dulles Sunday Sept 14 on UA3726. When I got to the airport I was advised the flight had been cancelled earlier that day. The ticketing agent said there were no available flights so I was stranded in Indianapolis until the next morning. She was unwilling to offer any hotel or any other compensation. The only available flights the next day had layovers instead of being direct. I took a United flight easily from IND to ORD the next morning. However, the flight from ORD to IAD on UA382 was horrible. We boarded the flight late because there were so many people on standby. Then we sat on the tarmac for over 2 hours because they said they needed to refuel. Supposed to land at 11:39am but arrived after 1.30 pm.

United Airlines Customer review :  18 September 2014 by S Andrews    (UK)

On 21st August this year, my wife and I were to fly United from Heathrow to Chicago and booked in early July. As soon as online check in opened, I found that only five seats were left which meant that we were to be separated during the flight. How were all the rest allocated before the 24hr opening time? The night before we were due to fly out, I received a text message to say that the flight was cancelled. Whilst on route to LHR, a text arrived telling us to check in as normal. At the United desk, we were told that we would be bussed to a hotel for the night. The best compensation they could offer was Economy Plus instead of our Economy seats. On the flight out, the food was appalling. Drinks were served from jugs carried down the gangways in a very unprofessional style by very unprofessional stewardesses. After arrival at Chicago, we thought our problems were over. Whilst in Washington, we went to Dulles Airport to see a United Supervisor to ensure that we could sit together on the return flight on 11th September. The system would not allow her to print boarding cards with seat allocations more than 24hrs before departure, but she printed some boarding cards and wrote the seat numbers on the cards. For the return journey, we arrived in good time at Chicago, checked in, and boarded the aircraft on time to find that we had been given Economy Plus seats. Start up time came and went and then an announcement was made that an electrical fault existed. We waited, eventually, after a delay of approx. 1.5 hours, we were off back to Blighty. The flight through the night was unpleasant due to the aircraft being very cold which made sleeping almost impossible. Altogether, not a very good experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Pat Jackson-Holley    (USA)

UA5260, IAH-LIT. Uncomfortable seats, unacceptable number of delays in Houston. Lack of concern for inconvenience caused to passengers is unacceptable. These tactics are a sign of pure greed. I will make it a point to never fly this airline again.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Patricia Knott    (USA)

PDX to MRY round trip Sept 3rd and 10th via San Francisco and via LA. They have consistently delayed flights to/from MRY because they cannot find a plane. On September 3rd, they changed gates twice, making it difficult for a senior to get to. Today, September 10th they are delaying again for the same reason. This means that I'll miss my LA connection because this flight will arrive after the plane leaves that airport. I'm going back to Alaska, they can schedule planes to flights.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by S Rabin    (USA)

LHR-SFO. Connecting to this flight from Brussels on Brussels Airlines, maybe 4 or 5 folks on this flight going to the SFO flight. Brussels flight late, connecting time tight for LHR (scheduled for 70 minutes, more like 25 with the late flight, and you have to go through security to get to US). Brussels Airlines has not transferred to Star Alliance Terminal 2 yet where United lives, so we had a mad dash across from Terminal 1. Got to gate after going through security-one of the agents said don't worry, they were holding the flight a few minutes for us. (That's good service). As usual, the flight attendants on UA were generally friendly and polite, but are not formal like the European or Asian airlines, which is fine with me. Food reasonably good; had a chicken dish for lunch that was quite tasty actually. Overall, a nice easy flight after working up a sweat running to the gate.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by K Hose    (UK)

I have to say I was extremely hesitant after reading the reviews on this site and due to fly with UA on 22nd August 2014. I had 5 flights covering a 3 week period and flew from Glasgow - Newark- Las Vegas - San Fran - San Diego back to Newark - Glasgow and was totally happy with the service provided to my family and I. We experienced no delays, the cabin crew couldn't have been nicer and the pilots seemed to go out their way to improve passenger comfort. The seating within the plane was large enough in economy and the in flight entertainment was excellent during the international flight to and from Glasgow. All in all I have no issues with any of the flights, delays happen and when they do you have to deal with them its a part of every day travel and I'm sure every airline experiences them. Will definitely be recommending UA to anyone who asks.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by L Spencer    (UK)

Just returned from USA flying both ways with United. 3rd flight this year flying with United to SFO connecting to ACV (Eureka). United is the only commercial airline flying into ACV. Food is never that great, but that's pretty much the norm with most airlines I guess. Inflight entertainment is perfect with personal screens (777 aircraft, if flying 747 then just multi screen). I am a silver mileage plus member so currently gain access to economy plus free of charge which is a bonus, along with the extra benefits of being a silver mileage plus member. Outbound flight on time, three seats to stretch out across which was great. Returning from SFO to LHR all crew London based. The service from the Base crew was the worst I have experienced from any cabin crew. I've even flown US Airways a couple of times in the past and anyone who has flow US Airways will know how scratchy their service is, but even US Airways cabin crew offered better service than what I witnessed from the London base crew with United. Crew looked like they didn't want to be there, drinks service only twice for a 10 hour flight, food awful. Breakfast just a croissant and a couple of chunks of melon, why even bother. Maybe United should send out WYR surveys to passengers and that way they would get a broad idea of a customers experience. However I'm not flying with United for cheap smiles and attractive cabin crew and 1st class service, what I am flying with United for is airline miles, premier service with mileage plus and an airline that can get me to my final destination, the rest is just extra.

United Airlines Customer review :  15 September 2014 by Ronald Bryant    (USA)

After two years of planning, I thought I had all my ducks in a row for a trip from the USA to the Australia Zoo north of Brisbane. I even hired a Travel Agency to avoid any mistakes on my part. Boy was I mistaken. August 25, 2014 was finally here. I went to my local airport two hours early (as instructed) and sat there for six hours at the United Airlines boarding gate. We were told the four hour delay was due to the weather in Chicago. Ok, not a deal breaker since I had a scheduled six hour layover in Los Angeles. The ticket agent at my local airport is the only good thing about United. She kept track of my schedule and issued me a new ticket from Chicago to Los Angeles when it became obvious that I was going to miss my scheduled flight. I arrived in Chicago four hours late and promptly went to the United gate for my flight to Los Angeles only to to find out that it also was running four hours late. I found another United flight to Los Angeles and got a standby ticket. This flight was running three hours late. Finally, I actually got to board a United Airline plane bound for Chicago. Now that all the passengers are onboard, the pilot decides he needs to refuel. After maybe ten minutes, he announces that the refuelling truck is broken and that the mechanics are working on it. So here we sat waiting to be refuelled. After maybe another hour the pilot announces he was going to taxi over to the international terminal to refuel. Well, now it's very clear that I'm going to miss my connecting flight and I can't get off this plane. Fast forward - we arrived in Los Angeles at 2.30 am and my flight to Brisbane, Australia left shortly after midnight. I asked the United employee at the gate how to get to the other terminal and she bluntly said the airport was basically closed until 4 am and said I could sleep on the plastic chairs until then. I can't blame anyone for weather delays but the refueling fiasco in Chicago is unacceptable. The rude United employees are unacceptable.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by K Chai    (Malaysia)

I took a flight from Shanghai to SFO, and onward to LAS. On the return trip, from LAS to SFO, and then to Hong Kong. 1) Old planes - the planes are so old you don't even get your own personal TV. I remember flying in the 1990s to be just like that when inflight entertainment runs over the large monitor in the front. How is anyone near those screens ever going to sleep on the long flights? 2) Food just is bad. You need to pay for alcoholic drinks. Really? You can't price that into the ticket? 3) Check in at LAS is a nightmare. The auto check-in machines don't really work and require a lot of manual intervention from the staff, but there's probably 2 staff serving about 2 dozen machines. 4) Seats are bad.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by L Altman    (USA)

If I could give United Airlines 0 stars I would. United is a horrible airline with awful customer service, unreliable departures, dirty airplanes and rude stewards. I booked my ticket 6 months in advance and was bumped to a different, later flight about a month prior to my trip. I called the airline and was able to be placed on my original flight. The customer service representative offered no sensical explanation as to why I got bumped. I wanted to ensure I would not be charged for their mistake. The representative assured me I would not be. Well that was not the case. On the day of my flight I found out I had double reservations for two different flights and was charged twice. I immediately called customer service to rectify the situation. I was on the phone for over an hour and the situation was handled horribly. I am beyond disappointed and disgusted with their lack of professionalism. As frequent traveler for both personal and professional purposes, I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Traci Greene    (USA)

I used to only fly united but my last trip will be the last tome I fly United. I booked a trip to Las Vegas and the flight was delayed. United re-routed my flight through Delta. Delta offered complimentary TV and snacks, more leg room and I didn't feel as if I was sitting on my neighbors lap. I think United has forgotten about the customer service which used to be the only reason I would fly with them. I will now definitely try other airlines to pick my go to for travel.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by L Collins    (USA)

Flying from Cincinnati to LA at 5.30am - got to the airport about 40 minutes prior to departure - told us we couldn't check our bag (I've flown internationally and have got bags checked with 30 minutes prior to flight and come on - there aren't that many flights leaving CVG at 5 in the morning) however they rebooked us on other flights and we arrived in LA about 1.5 hrs later - ok, not so bad, except that when the ticket agent changed our outbound flights she cancelled my son's return flights and when we tried to fly home - no flights - luckily another airline for the return, but triple connections due to the agent's mistakes. The flights themselves were ok but everything costs extra now.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Constance Marshall    (USA)

After flying from Sacramento to Dulles airport in Washington and then on to Frankfurt, it was apparent why United ranks at or near the bottom in the airline ratings. The Airbus 320 to Washington, a 5+ Hour flight, was brutal. There is no leg room at all, the seats are flimsy and uncomfortable and it's impossible to recline your seat because of cramped space. It should be unlawful to pack that many people into limited space. The flight attendants were tired, surly and unfriendly. We were in Economy, but a row of seats right in front of us were Economy Plus, they were empty on our flight. My husband needed to use the bathroom so I sat down in one of the Economy Plus seats until he finished so I could stretch my legs. An FA quickly came over and informed me I couldn't sit there. I told her I was waiting for my husband etc. She said rudely that I needed to return to my assigned seat. There were many empty seats on this flight, but when people tried to spread out to get more room, they were told no. One man asked if he could sit in one of those seats and was told no because they were Economy Plus. I don't get this attitude. The food was horrendous! There was no food service on the Sacramento to Washington flight, which is inexcusable on that long of a flight. Aegean Air from Istanbul to Frankfurt, a 55 minute flight, served a hot meal - at midnight! There's something wrong with this picture. On the Washington to Frankfurt flight, we were served something called a crostini. It had processed lunch meat and processed cheese. It was so horrible I couldn't eat it. Airline food has never been great but it's reached a new low. United should be ashamed of their service. We won't fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by Seah Wy    (Singapore)

I travelled from Singapore to San Francisco only because it was a codeshare flight with ANA (from which I booked my tickets). Inflight entertainment was decent on the 1st leg of the flight to Tokyo, presumably because it has just been upgraded with touch screen high resolution screens. However, inflight service was horrid, if you would even call it service to begin with. Flight attendant lashed out when I returned my tray (I was back from the restroom returning to my seat and thought it would be convenient for us both if I were to hand the tray to him since he was collecting the trays 2 rows before mine). "Can you please wait" with absolute annoyance and utter look of disdain before grudgingly snatching the tray away. The same flight attendant stepped on a pillow (which fell from a passenger's seat) while pulling the trolley and conveniently kicked it aside to the bottom of the passenger seat without a bat of his eyelid. On the food, expect the same food you'll get from a low cost carrier. In fact, you'll be better off with just cup noodles. It was the first time I have seen attendants hand out food without giving you the option to choose, simply because "we ran out of xx option, so this is your only choice". Inflight service was scarce, no one bothered serving water after the meals and before flight landed. On the 2nd leg from Tokyo to SF, there was a huge screen in front which they call inflight entertainment. You have the option to pay a nominal sum for wifi access and watch the movies from your own smart devices. Food was as poor as it can get for an international airline, with poor service all the same. Rude attendants were still present, but I was spared from any lashings this time round (the lady in front got reprimanded for the most ridiculous reason). I asked if I could make an inflight purchase 4 hrs before the flight was scheduled to land and was told the attendant in charge was resting. 2 hrs later, I asked the same question and the same answer was given. Just when I decided I am not going to let United earn another cent from me, that flight attendant finally finished her break right before the plane commenced its descent and asked what I would like to get. Do note that the ratings were made when comparing against the inflight experience I had when I took Cathay Pacific and ANA flights from Singapore to SF earlier this year and last year.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Fritz Brenda    (Germany)

We were on a trip from Newark to San Diego. The nightmare began when we noticed that we (as two friends travelling together) had been assigned seats that were not located next to each other. But we were okay with this. The flight attendants were pretty friendly, but drinks were only served 2 times, and food was not served at all (on a 5.5 hours flight). There was the option to purchase food, but in my opinion it should go without saying that complementary food is offered on a long-distance flight. Onboard entertainment was also not available for free. Furthermore, the TV screens could not be turned off, so we were exposed to continuing advertising, which lasted the whole flight. When we finally reached our destination in San Diego, we were tired, starving and thirsty.

United Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2014 by T Patrick    (Hong Kong)

Not great. Flew Newark to Panama, bare bones service, even have to pay to watch the tiny TV so take an iPad. Minimal service but on time. Transferred to Copa for short flight to Medillin Colombia, seemed like first class! When I arrived I was told the was a problem with my return and you had better sort it out. Copa can do nothing with a 'United booking' so called United in USA to find out. Flight had been cancelled although no email received. Eventually got on economy plus and gone via Houston with tight connection but made it ok. They really just get you there and back without any frills. I live in Asia and in a country with usually great customer service, US Airlines and United in particular, are very basic!

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Allan Sweetser    (Canada)

Flight UA3789, August 27 2014. Boarded an almost new plane that was in pristine condition, comfortable seats (travelling on miles and paid for upgrade to premium seating). Ready for a great flight, left on time. The flight crew were terrible, there were glares from the front of the plane to the back. Almost no eye contact with customers, rude finger pointing. When the snack trolley came by they simply walked past, directed their comments to the air in front of them and continued on - likely very few sales there! When coffee and drinks came by they were already past before we could even request a drink (we weren't really asked you see) and we had to call them back to get a coffee. When I went to the toilet the crew simply jerked their finger at me without saying anything and gestured me into a seat that was vacant to wait. They scowled at everyone. By the time we left the plane the people in the seats behind me, across from me, and the seats near the toilets (I heard them talking as well) were totally turned off by our crew. This was the fourth bad experience I have heard of with United in the past year from co-workers and friends. In fact I have as yet to hear a good experience from any of my colleagues. Also when deplaning they gave out erroneous information. They said that those with connecting flights would have their luggage forwarded and they did not need to collect it. It was wrong in that they do need to collect their luggage to go through customs. Fortunately customs officials were asking people to make sure they had their forwarded luggage. Terrible service. I was flying on miles so the value was great, the plane was new and comfortable, the experience the pits!

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Daniel Glesby    (Canada)

YWG-ORD-YWG: Got to the airport in plenty of time, check in on United App didn't work for me so had to use the kiosk and have by far the United kiosks take the longest to fill out. Line up through security was long and slow due to only one lane being open (obviously not United's fault but still frustrating). United flight to and from Winnipeg are seldom on time and either delayed or cancelled probably about 70% of the time. It was no surprise to me that it was delayed an hour and a half. Ended up landing in Chicago about 2 hours late. On the way home mobile check in worked and the whole experience was positive. Got to the gate and seeing my flight was on time was too good to be true and it was. It moved gates and was delayed 40 minutes. Both flights were on an E145. I knew it was going to be snug so I can't really complain since I knew what I was flying on. Both flight attendants were pleasant. Overall I will not fly united anywhere other than Chicago or Denver and I'm even hesitant to fly United to those cities non stop.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Ron Kuhlmann    (USA)

SFO-MSP-DEN-SFO. I was pleasantly surprised on all legs by the genuine friendliness and interactivity of the crew. I have often been critical of UA regarding their crew attitude but this was entirely the opposite and made the trip far more pleasant. Due to status, I was upgraded to F from MSP to DEN. A nice bonus.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by C Kim    (USA)

Come on United, you need to step things up! While others are proceeding forward since their merger and around the globe, I feel that UA has remained stagnant in their old ways. The club in LA is just abysmal with the lack of any proper amenities. My recent fight from Los Angeles to Seattle experienced an hour delay and there wasn't any proper dine for sale option though the flights departure was around dinner time. The service standards were one that provided no less or more of what was to be done. I really wish there was a better alternative to United for Star Alliance members to travel domestically on.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Nathan Yu    (USA)

UA977, DXB-IAD, "Businessfirst". Check in and boarding were smooth, professional, and efficient. Unfortunately, that was the highlight of this flight. Food was mediocre at best. Filet was well done, and not done well. Smoked salmon appetizer and salad were disappointing-small in portion and bland. Passed on dessert. Lie flat seats were coffin like in a flat position. Service was spotty. Honestly, I can't understand this legacy carrier. Emirates' CEO was right when he said his economy product was better than most carrier's business class. A total disappointment, but shouldn't have been surprised. Switching to Emirates in 2015.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by M Spence    (UK)

MAN-EWR, 24/8/14, Flight UA80. I have never experienced a flight in which the crew have seemed almost desperate to pick a fight with passengers! I'm sure they were all tired and keen to get back home, but aren't they being paid to attend to the needs of passengers? As well as the staff being incredibly surly, I was amazed that they chose to serve a chicken dinner at 10.30am in the morning! They can't even use the rationale that they were working on the destination time zone as we were flying to the US and it would have been 3am there! Luckily the food was absolutely inedible so it wasn't an issue in the end.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by J Chestnut    (USA)

ATL-ORD-LAX, 27 Aug 14, UA3542. United likes to change your itinerary at the last minute. My reservation was ATL to LAX thru Denver when made, but when I went to check in I was routed through Chicago. It was an agonizing trip lasting much too long. United doesn't even give you basic, horrible airplane music or rerun TV episodes. You have to pay for everything. Bad business. Not flying United for a year or 2. Maybe, never.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by Cynthia Chase    (USA)

Unless you want to have hours of intimate contact with a stranger, do not fly United! I am a small women in my 60's. United's seat size just fits me. I was in a window seat, when a medium-large gentleman, a little round around the edges, sat next to me. This man was not obese. He overflowed his seat enough that every time he moved, we were shuffled together from butt to knee. I put up with it for half an hour and then excused myself to the aisle. I paced in the back of the plane for an hour. The attendants were serving whatever they serve, and saw that I was near hysteria at the thought of returning to what awaited me in my assigned seat. They did find a solution eventually. A United employee was flying coach, and they switched me out with him. But the new seat was only 3 rows in front of the gentleman who had been next to me, and he had to watch this seat change, knowing his size overlapping mine was the cause. These conditions are set up by United in planning an aircraft with seats that are way smaller than the human population of these times. They know this, and leave it to their flight attendants to deal. Other airline carriers are tight too, but I have heard and witnessed that United is the worst.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by N Miller    (USA)

SFO/IAH/SJO (San Jose Costa Rica) /IAH/SFO in First on domestic, Business on the international flights - 737-900 and 737-800 - pleasantly surprised by the service, which was almost perfect (only 1 FA on 1 flight was rude when I was forward enough to ask about whether there would be dessert). New lounge at SFO is still pretty bad considering it's a UA hub and supposed to represent the USA to the Pacific Rim, but it was adequate (although be warned the bar closes at 10.30pm sharp, not so good for those of us on midnight flights). Food on 1 flight also not so great (overdone tasteless steak), but otherwise good - I think they serve starbucks coffee because it tasted so burnt I could only drink 1/3 cup even though we were going on 30+ hours with no sleep by the time we were landing in Costa Rica. All in all we were happy with the flights, unexpectedly so given some prior experiences with the carrier.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by TK Hill    (Vietnam)

IAD - SAV in August. Flight was on schedule both ways, which, I gather, is unusual. The CRJ 200, equipment designed to be uncomfortable, was pretty scruffy around the edges. Non stop on this route is convenient. I fly Asian carriers where I live. The FAs, while maybe not as professional as they might sometimes be, are always friendly, well turned out and exquisitely polite. Those on the flights I take back and forth to the US are even more impressive. So imagine my surprise when, arriving at the top of the gangway, I was greeted by the assigned FA's not inconsiderable rear end. Have good manners been unbundled from the basic ticket price also?

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by P Droar    (USA)

Aug 26, UA 1683, SFO EWR. On time departure and arrival. Younger crew members more friendly than the older ones. Regular runs through the cabin with water. Captain gave regular updates. Direct TV a nice option. UA hub to hub flights seem to work more effectively than connections, especially those through EWR and ORD. Bad weather at EWR causes major problems for all airlines operating to/from there.

United Airlines Customer review :  7 September 2014 by N Brown    (UK)

My wife and I booked a flight through last minute.com it was really a last minute thing because we had to be in Auburn by the 22nd August 2014. We got a flight for the 21st August which involved a couple of stops. The flight was from Birmingham UK stopping at Newark NJ and then at Washington Dulles then Syracuse (outgoing). First the flight was supposed to leave Birmingham at 09.00hrs, that left 3 hrs late due to technical trouble. Got to Newark NJ so late we missed the 14.50 connection to Washington Dulles. They then booked us on another flight from Newark to Syracuse that was leaving at 21.04hrs that never turned up until about 22.30 and because there was a little downpour of rain the flight was delayed it had never left Attica. We went out on to the tarmac to board the plane and was confronted with a plane that looked like something from the Fred Flinstone era. This was a tiny DHC8 turbo prop plane and we were buffeted around like a roller coaster. So for that trip we were delayed for about 12 hours. Not even a cup of tea or a glass of water was offered to the passengers. The way back was even worse, we were supposed to leave Syracuse at 19.10hrs on the 2nd September 2014. Next thing you know, the rain started to fall again, flight cancelled for 24 hours. We had to spend our own money for a one night stay in a hotel. So instead of going from Syracuse to Washington to Brussels to Birmingham we now had to go from Syracuse to Washington to Dublin then Birmingham. I won't be travelling with them again or recommending them to anyone.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by P Droar    (USA)

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Jezrel Sabaduquia    (USA)

JFK-SFO. Ground staff at JFK could not have been more helpful. We had a connection to NRT with ANA and our reservation had some issues but it was efficiently solved by the staff and our luggage was directly tagged to NRT, avoiding luggage fees despite being on two separate reservations. Flight was ahead of schedule both departure and arrival. Service on United has always been warm, friendly and efficient. I'm a big fan of their service and never had an issue. While they are not as polished as most Asian carriers are, they are interactive with the passengers and their service makes you feel at home. BOB options were extensive and quality was excellent. They also did frequent beverage runs despite only being a 6-hour flight. IFE system is wonderful, the movie choices were great and most of which are recent Hollywood movies. The system was responsive, easy to use, and the moving map was of excellent quality. Overall, a very pleasant flight with United.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by A Coles    (Hong Kong)

I took a flight from Hong Kong to Newark. Appalling from the moment I stepped on the plane. The staff were very unwelcoming. My seat was behind the exit row which was empty - all the row was empty and seeing as I was sitting between a family who had been split up because of the shoddy seating arrangements we asked if we were able to use the exit row. The response (in an aggressive tone) was no! If you want to sit there, its now been designated premium economy, its an extra USD 170 each and you can pay by credit card! Note that this in the economy / coach section. The stewardess then made a big deal of slamming down all the dining trays on those seats as if to "seal off the section" - it all made for an incredibly unpleasant start to the flight. Aside from the small seats and lack of leg room, when dinner came round I politely requested a cup of tea. The cup of tea was passed to me without any milk or sugar. I politely asked for milk and sugar. She stopped - glared at me and snapped - "well you could have told me that when you asked for the tea". By this stage, me and the family I was sharing the row with were finding the staff so rude it was verging on comical. Then to top it off, having spent thousands of dollars on this flight I learn that there is no free alcohol. Don't get me wrong I can go with out a drink for 16 hours but its a small touch to offer an alcoholic beverage as part of the service. Anyway an absolute shambles and I shall not make the same mistake of flying with United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by M Blank    (Germany)

On July 3 we were bound for intercontinental flight from SFO to FRA. Departure should be at 2 pm and was announced for 6.45 pm. After some more trouble boarding started at 8.15. After a tour on the airfield the plane came back to starting point. At least we departed with a delay of nearly 8 hours. The gate staff was completely stressed with the amendment of connecting flights for other passengers. No customer voucher were given, no telephone calls offered, no service at all.

United Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2014 by Steven Grapperhaus    (Japan)

We are a Star Alliance Gold family. We purchased Economy tickets from NRT-IAH-FLL-SCE-IAD-NRT but I later upgraded to BusinessFirst, with cash. The cash upgrade cost $1,400 each. On the NRT-IAH leg, the first thing that I found odd was that the FA literally threw the tablecloth to/at me, at the beginning of dinner service. I think he just didn't care, because throughout the flight, his demeanor was cold. Small things like my wife's request for water without ice were met with the glass of water with the biggest piece of ice in it. The seat was great, the food was about what you'd expect at a family restaurant, and I'm ok with both of these things, but I really had to wonder, don't people who pay to fly premium deserve at least not passive-aggressive”service? I guess not. The NRT- IAH departure was an hour late, due to weather. We were not able to make our connection at IAH. I bet United Airlines could have helped expedite passengers (through immigration/customs/re-checking) with tight connections. Our IAH-FLL departed while we were waiting for our bags. I informed the UA rep at the baggage claim and he told me they'd rebooked us on the next mornings 06.40, IAH-FLL. I asked if I could get a meal/hotel voucher, but he informed me that since it was a weather delay, UA couldn't take care of us. We feared that we might oversleep the 06.40 flight, because of the jetlag. I called UA to ask for another booking, and though there were 4 IAH-FLL flights that day, our only options were 06.40 or 20.00 departure. Their website revealed open seats on all flights, but the rep explained to me that those were first class seats, and we weren't eligible for them. The weather delay on departure was caused by a typhoon. IAH is also known to be quite poor at handling international flights. UA made the decision to sell NRT-IAH tickets with a 1.5-hour buffer, nonetheless. Maybe it's my fault for buying it, but at any rate, rather than stay up all night or lose yet another day with my family, we accepted a better-timed flight to MIA. Our business with UA resumed two weeks later for the SCE-IAD-NRT return to Japan, we took another carrier for our FLL-MBJ and MBJ-ATL-DTW-SCE trips. I mistakenly placed a bottle of honey in my carry-on, which was picked up by TSA at security. I figured that if I couldn't get to my bags, I could box and check it. I saw my bags were already gone, so I waited at the side of the check-in line, and figured I would wait until they announced last call for SCE-IAD. The desk rep soon did so, and I politely explained, “I'd like to get this in to my checked bags.” The man was the portrait of hypertension and stress. He acted as if the world were about to end. Eventually another rep nicely asked me to go get a box from the store across the hallway, and I did, and when I came back, the stressed-out rep acquiesced, and while printing the tape/tags, repeated over and over “ The flights boarding/you've got to get on it/it’s leaving.”The flight was just starting to board. I am writing this onboard IAD-NRT. We've decided that we won't fly UA again. We’ll pay more to avoid it.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

This 80 min United Express flight from Nashville to Washington, D.C. was on an ancient CRJ200. The window frames were caulked, the overhead bins had chipped edges and the seats ripped. The equipment certainly doesn't represent the United brand in its finest light.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Joel Henderson    (USA)

My two children and I had a flight booked from Albany to Portland Oregon changing planes in Newark and Houston. I received my first delay notice via email at 10.16 due to late inbound aircraft arrival. The second one came at 4.39 pm while we were at Newark Airport due to same reason, however my children and I watched the plane arrive. The plane had tons of cargo underneath. Not just baggage, but tons of commercial boxes. Our plane which was originally supposed to take off at 5pm for Houston did not take off until almost 7pm, which put us in Houston at 9.30 a half hour after our plane left for Portland. That was just the beginning of our frustration. As I got to the gate and went to ask the United Airline attendant about connections, she said "see the guy down there and he will help you with connecting flight." She was just telling us what we needed to hear to get us out of her way. By the time I got to customer service at 9.45, United Airlines customer service workers were dropping like flies among a mob of very unhappy people. We are talking 10pm people at one of America's busiest airports. 10.30 I finally get with a customer service worker who gets me food voucher's, taxi voucher's and a hotel voucher for a best western 25 minutes away from the airport. She said "grab some food around the corner". All food venues were closed. We walked down to ground transportation and were informed only yellow cabs accept taxi voucher's. Finally got a cab and made it to the hotel at 11.30. In short, lies and terrible customer service. The cargo was more important than the passengers and the customer service was horrible. I guess I'll never fly United again and given the amount I travel, that's a loss for them.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by K Sobkowski    (USA)

Flew from SEA to AMS via ORD on July 12. Both flights arrived ahead of schedule which was welcomed since I had only 45 minutes for transfer in Chicago and 48 minutes in Amsterdam to catch inter EU flight. Service basic but good, flight attendants offered beverages very frequently and food served on transatlantic flight was OK. My bags joined me a day later at my final destination, but it was not UA fault. As a Silver status holder I still appreciate upgrade to Economy Plus, but with new regulations for earning points in 2015 this seems to be harder to get in the future.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by R Frieden    (USA)

As I near one million miles with this airline I marvel at the abuse I regularly endure. 1/3 flights have some irregularity in part because I live in a community served by UA Express. Regularly UA cancels flights nearly always on the pretext of weather. The UA rez engine never seems to find me the next available flight despite my Premier Exec status. The last 2 cancellation reported at 4.17 am for a 6.27 departure (SCE-ORD-YUL) didn't see anything available until 8.30 pm with an overnight at my expense. I called rez and got a 1pm departure after a wait list failed. 0 customer care for a loyal flyer.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Aba Meha    (USA)

I started off from Seattle to Ottawa. Flight was delayed by more than an hour in Seattle b/c of a "technical problem." Then I was stranded in Chicago for hours before I got to Ottawa after 2pm. I was supposed to get to Ottawa approximately at 9:30am. On my way back, a week later, I got to Ottawa airport at 4am for my 6am flight. We were told flight was canceled due to a "technical problem", and I was asked to come back at 2pm. I had to argue with them to get me the 11.45 flight to Chicago. Stated in Chicago for hours, then arrived in Seattle close to 6pm. I was supposed to be back in Seattle approximately at 10.30am. To be fare, they provided us two $8 (Canadian) food vouchers. However, I will never rely on United Airlines to get me to my destination on time, and I will never fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Carole Hoffman    (USA)

Left Houston for Milwaukee after four flight delays! Return flight - I was delayed another four hours in Houston without explanation and no vouchers. Next time - American Airlines. Another dissatisfied customer!

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by Matthew Blackett    (UK)

TPA-ORD-LHR: terrible. I know you get what you pay for but I still expect more than this for what was mainly a transatlantic trip. The TPA-ORD leg was the usual 'bus' service you get used to for US domestic trips but the international leg was beyond terrible. The aircraft was old - decor of a bygone era. The TV screens were the sort I remember for a decade ago - tiny, no personal controls. The food was stingy and poor quality (a slab of meat resembling a chicken breast at some time in the past). The cabin crew were surly and long past retirement age (who knows what would happen in an emergency). Surely they could stump up at least one complementary alcoholic beverage like other transatlantic carriers. Next time I'll pay more for a much superior service. This is the budget airline of the Atlantic.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by AJ Bolton    (USA)

Paid high premium for last minute flight. Wasn't given a seat assignment because no coach seats were left and only seats toward the front, which they charge $84 to sit in, were left. Got seat assignment at gate, back of the plane. Received lowest Group Boarding number because the gate agent said they order group number based on where you sit. Windows higher, middle lower, aisle lowest. But if you fly stand by you get to set in premium seats with better group number, getting a better chance to have overhead space, because no one wants to pay $84 just to sit closer to the front of the plane, which gives you a better group number. Other airlines are based on more you pay more you get. Was already paying max for flight, way more than rest because time constraints, than other passengers. United does not care about their customers, gate agents are mostly grumpy. They have some of the shortest leg room of most carriers.

United Airlines Customer review :  29 August 2014 by G Stoykovich    (USA)

MUC-EWR-MUC, Aug 2014. Purchased very expensive summer tickets online at Lufthansa.com, all the way being led to believe the flight was operated by LH. Only realized it was United after paying the ticket. 1) Pre-ordered special meal not available (although chosen when purchasing ticket at Lufthansa.com). 2) In order to select seats had to go to United.com after purchasing tix at Lufthansa.com. 3) In-flight entertainment had no sound on the MUC-EWR portion of journey. 4) Alcohol on board available only for cash? 5) Online boarding passes not available for either flight - never had this problem with Lufthansa, Swiss, or any other European airline! 6) EWR airport Terminal C is the worst ever seen, nothing to do and bad food available only after the security checkpoint. 7) Check-in procedure at EWR: a huge and completely empty section of United check-in reserved for "premium" passengers (for all 12 of them). 8) Economy passengers check in a cellar, at "self-service" terminals overseen by only a handful of employees, slow, inefficient, overcrowded. If Lufthansa is serious about its Star Alliance ratings they should revise the membership of third-rate airlines.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by Tumey Charles    (USA)

I fly 3-5 times a month domestically and internationally. My most recent flight was from Houston Texas to Mexico City. I must say that in 20 years of air travel I have never experienced a flight attendant crew as unprofessional as the crew on that plane. They were very short with passengers! The over head bins were full and they asked that stored our bags under the seats in front of us. I am 6' 2", the new planes have even less room to fit your legs and feet. Once you bag goes there where are you to put your feet and legs? Keep in mind all I had was a computer bag. I was sitting mid plane in an aisle seat, I asked if there was any room up further for my computer bag - "No if you don't like it the next flight in 3 hrs is less full if you would like me to arrange it for you". This was the reply in a very threatening tone! A few moments later I watched the same scenario happen to 2 more passengers with the same consequences. Very unprofessional atmosphere! This atmosphere and overall attitude seems to be becoming the normal for United. Flight #431, departed Houston 8.55am, arrived Mex City at 11.10am.

United Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2014 by S Loomis    (USA)

Another cancelled flight! I can't remember the last time a United flight took off on time. Unfortunately, I live in Chicago and take them a lot. 2 cancellations in 2 months. They gave me a few points for the last cancelled flight. Big deal - I have to use them on United. United is so horrible that they actually tried to charge me for scheduling a flight in place of the flight they cancelled! Can we get trains to go Chicago to New York? Boston? It would be wonderful, just like going from Amsterdam to Brussels to Paris. United has ruined travel. What a mess.

United Airlines Customer review :  19 August 2014 by J Arciaga    (USA)

I flew a 747 in first class from San Francisco to Seoul Korea. For a 13 hour flight, I was expected to be tired when I reached my destination. However I was wrong. When I entered the aircraft I was immediately asked what beverage I would like as well as providing hot towels. The crew were very nice and gave us hand written Thank You notes for my business. The food was better than I expected it to be. They served so many appetizers before the main course that I was full. I was so surprised when they asked if I would like ice cream, and customized it with toppings right in front of me! If you were hungry between meals there is a walk up bar that has fruits, snacks, wraps, desserts, etc. The IFE had a huge screen and had all the newest Hollywood blockbusters, tv shows, music, and games. The seats were really comfortable as they had the option to put them 180 degrees so that you can sleep (the armrests automatically go down as the bed reclines) and can sleep comfortably for a tall person. They also had plenty of plugs that accepts USA and other countries plugs. The seats have plenty of storage however found it odd that flight attendants won't allow you to stow things under your seat. I slept right after the Meal service and was woken up just in time for breakfast. I couldn't believe that I could actually get sleep on a plane! It was a great experience flying United and would definitely fly with them again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Liu John    (USA)

I only had two to three on-time flights from April to June out of more than 10 flights. My flight from Chicago to PVG got cancelled after sitting in the cabin for more than 3 hours in July. Yesterday, my wife and son took same flight (UA835) and got delayed by 5.5 hours. UA staff on board were very rude. I will never fly United Airlines.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by C Murphy    (USA)

Gate agents are rude, flights constantly delayed with no regard to connecting flights and mostly for "crew availability." Our most recent disaster was trying to get home to KC from San Antonio. First flight delayed putting us in Houston an hour after our connection was to leave. Had to call to find another flight since they offered no alternate options. Once in Houston the flight out was delayed twice due to "awaiting aircraft," a third delay due to "crew availability," and at 10pm was finally cancelled, conveniently, due to "weather." Which of course relieves United of any lodging responsibility even though the initial delay which caused this fiasco was fully their fault. Was traveling with my 11 year old son, had no access to our luggage and ended up with a $361 airport hotel bill. They did finally do one thing right in the end that I have to give them credit for, when they rebooked our cancelled flight for the next day, they put us on Delta.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by C Lyttle    (USA)

I had to fly for business to Springfield, IL. United offered the best deal on this flight. We flew from Orlando to Chicago on an Airbus A320. Exit row, very comfortable, nice staff. Flight out of Chicago was delayed 3.5 hours, but staff handled it well. After the delays, we had a hydraulics issue, and had to return to the gate. The flight attendant on board the CRJ-200 aircraft was phenomenal and helped us with anything we needed. She was very professional, and great at helping us arrange things for arrival in Springfield. This was my first time flying United, and even though the delays were outstanding, staff were wonderful at handling it.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by J Smith    (USA)

I was flying CVG-ORD-LHR. Had an onward very good flight to Mumbai with Jet Airways. CVG-ORD flight was alright. Small aircraft, not much of a problem as it was a short trip. It all started once we reached Chicago. After landing, we waited in the aircraft for more than an hour. I reached my gate and asked the United staff about my plane. They clearly said that it was on time. So, I go, eat and come back, and my flight is cancelled! I asked the same staff member again, and she says I have to contact customer service. They tell me that there is another flight in 2 hours and they will transfer me. Told there are only middle seats in the middle row left! Th4 flight was delayed by an hour again and I was sure I would miss my connecting flight. Onboard, the seat was very narrow, no leg room and me being a vegetarian, my special meal did not get transferred onto this flight. The staff were rude, no smiles and hated being even asked for water. The entertainment was the worst I have seen! 4 channels, 4 fixed movies, one on each and they all start at the same time. Absolutely no value for money. As we finally, after 8 hours, land in London I had just 25 mins to go from Terminal 1 to Terminal 4 to catch my next flight, so ran throughout, no option and was one of the last people to catch the plane. I will never fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by B Porter    (USA)

I was flying recently from Lincoln, NE to Chicago, IL. This flight goes back and forth between the two cities multiple times per day. The Lincoln airport also houses Delta and only has four gates, so it is very small. The first flight left Lincoln and made it to Chicago with no problems. As the flight was coming back to Lincoln, from Chicago, it was diverted to Kansas City, MO, in which the staff members told us that it is too "foggy" to land in Lincoln. What was upsetting was that our flight was delayed three hours and there was not any fog in the area. In fact, there was partial sunshine the day of our flight. The staff did not even apologize or attempt to assist the customers who had connecting flights in Chicago. Once on the aircraft, the flight attendant was very rude and demeaning. For example, we were at the back of the airplane, and we did not even receive a beverage before we landed, in which the flight attendant told us that we did not need one because she ran out of time.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Tracy Willner    (USA)

My husband, myself and 3 year old was supposed to fly out the 12th of Aug at 6.10pm. Our flight was delayed 3 times. Then we were told now we had to stay the night at Richmond airport or at O'Hare. We had a choice. We decided to just go home and come back to the 7.45am flight. We got the airport at 6am and was told our flight was delayed until 9am but our connecting flight took off at 9am. So at this point we had no flight out of O'Hare. The airline told us we could sleep at O'Hare on the floor for 7 hrs and couldn't promise a flight out. We did change to American Airlines but did have to wait 5 hrs for that flight. We slept on an airport floor until we left. But no issues after we got off of United.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by S Whis    (USA)

Flew from Dulles to Brussels on what was described by crew as "a better option than Dulles to Newark to Brussels" and then were left in Belgium with no baggage and no attempt of help from United. We ended up going to Morocco from there and were helped by both Air Maroc and the Belgians. On the way back to the U.S. we were then bumped from our flight due to United giving away our pre-booked tickets to another family. They then complained to us that we were late, when we were in fact 3 hours early.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by P Stephenson    (USA)

Horrible experience on a Tuesday night flight, United flight delays because of some rain from Charleston WV to Chicago caused me to miss flight to Memphis. United only rebooked flight the next day. No offer to put up in hotel. Had to stay in the airport and just sit for 9 hours waiting on the next flight (which got delayed too). It took over 19 hours to go from Charleston to Memphis. I should have taken a Greyhound bus, it would have been much cheaper and faster. Horrible service, they simply don't care. Never will fly United again.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Kandace Young    (USA)

My husband and I went to Cozumel from Dallas and back with United. The night before out flight I tried to check in and on one of our flights the only way to get to claim seats was by paying 40$ per person. Ridiculous as I had booked the flight months ago. Departing there was a 40 min delay due to "lack of personnel" but as we were boarding the pilot came on saying there was no reason for the delays and that the crew were all there. On the way home the same issue of not being able to claim seats without paying. Then on the way home we had a delay once again from Houston to Dallas. The first delay was due to "awaiting aircraft" and it was 50 min, then we boarded the plane 15 mins late due to delayed customers, then a final delay of 45 min due to operations. Absolutely ridiculous, especially as I paid 100 dollars more for an earlier flight.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Tercon Bojan    (Singapore)

Flying on this United Express service Embraer RJ 135 from Houston to Nashville was a very claustrophobic experience. Being 190cm, when I walked in, I had to seriously bend over for the ceiling is very low. The 2-1 seating configuration is a good indicator of how small and narrow the cabin really is. All-in-all, felt like flying in a cigar tin can. These regional jets are not my favourite, yet they seem to be getting more prevalent in the United network.

First class on this new 737-900 seems to have more leg room than what I recall from the old first class. Add to that the comfy seats and the experience is quite OK. This 3+ hour flight from San Francisco to Houston had a much improved service - the United staff finally seem to be having some fun and are proud again of their airline. It shows. Besides the service, the meals have also improved. There are more healthy choices, such as a salad with grilled chicken and fresh toppings, chicken wrap and the likes. And then there are those sumptuous warm chocolate cookies that they serve at the end. This flight had not IFE so I resorted to using my iPad and paid for the very inexpensive inflight wifi service. I was shocked how great the wifi onboard worked and for only $2/hour. This is a game changer.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by David Hunt    (USA)

I have been flying JFK to Dulles now for 4 weeks on the Friday 2.29 departure. It has never left on time and is generally 1 hour late. On Friday 8/8/14 it left 3 hours late. On two occasions the problem has been mechanical. One time because we needed to put more fuel on as we were given a new flight route. 140 mins longer than originally planned. I guess we were cutting it close before the re-route. All in all it is a bad flying experience. Their tag line should read "you would be better off driving".

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Lin Jing    (USA)

My wife and son took United Airlines this summer back form China and transfer in Newark airport. The connection flight and last flight of the day was cancelled due to thunder storms. During the time they waited for their next flight, United Airlines did not provide any accommodation, they has to sit in gate area seats the whole night until next day. A horrible experience.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Nijjar Parminder    (Canada)

Horrible experience flying with United Airlines. From Calgary to Orlando two flights and no snacks provided. My kids were so upset not having any entertainment. TV did not show any channels unless you pay with your credit card. Snacks, only if you pay. Missed a connecting flight and delayed due to weather. Waited in line for 3 hours and then boarded. Still no complimentary snacks provided to passengers. No taxi voucher provided due to missed flight. I had to pay more than $200 USD to taxi and I stayed in hotel for only 5 hours. Cost me more time and money to stay for those 5 hours. When I went to board the flight I was told only 2 members of my family could board, they did not have space for all four. Options I was given was to connect to flights to different cities which would cost me more time. Paid over $160 for baggage. I will make sure no one in my family fly with this airline.

United Airlines Customer review :  16 August 2014 by Marcela Martinez    (USA)

The second time United Airline had failed me. The first was on October 2013. This review is about my last flight in August 14. I was flying from Houston, Texas to LAX. There was a storm near Texas and we were delayed about 2 hours. I understand there are natural disasters out of the airlines control. The problem is how these situations are handled. First, one of the flight attendants seemed annoyed by people asking if they could use the restroom and get some water. The other flight attendant was very nice and she tried her best to accommodate peoples needs. Once we were in the air they started selling food to people about an hour into the flight. I have a gluten free restriction and they had very limited options. I wanted the cheese plate with grapes and chocolate and they sold out! That was pretty much my only option. Finally we arrived to LAX 2+ hours late and the gate didn't work. So we waited once again to be let out. Finally it was time to go get my luggage, which was taken from me in Texas because there was no more room for my bag. I was the last one on the flight because they had a computer glitch and they couldn't find my seat. It took them about 20 minutes to fix the problem. They didn't tell me if I should wait by the door or go to baggage claims once I arrive at LAX. Once I arrived at LAX I tried asking about my luggage but there was big lines to talk to someone. There seem to be many other problems last night. Finally I asked one United flight attendant and with an attitude she told to go to baggage claim. I told her nobody had explained to me where to get my bag and she was annoyed with my questions. I had flown in other airlines were my luggage was given to me once I exited the plane! It was a legitimate question. Once I was in baggage claim they had about 5 different places two pick up luggage. 3 out of the 5 screens was broken. I asked another Inited employee where I could get my luggage and again with an attitude she said "Obviously it's right there can't you see it?". I told her their screens are broken so no I can't see it. Most United Airline employees are rude, disrespectful and not helpful. They seem to hate their job. Unfortunately, this is the 2nd time I have such a horrible experience with United.