El Al Israel Airlines Passenger Reviews and El Al Israel Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  28 October 2014 by Carolynne Drori   (USA)

Tel Aviv to Rome, Italy round-trip. Sept 15, LY385. Oct 7, LY386. We had a perfect flying experience. Granted the security is a bit much - but our safety is worth the inconvenience. They have the most professional and seemingly smart security personnel. The check-in and inflight staff were friendly and very helpful. The flight was uneventful - exactly what you one hopes for. Inflight food, service was equal in quality to every other first class airline we travel on.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  23 October 2014 by A Shul   (Australia)

Flew TLV-BKK with a 747. Plane was old and dirty. The service was okay, but the food was inedible. The TV's were on a loop, with 2 out of the 4 channels not working. Unfortunately this is the only airlines for me to travel to Israel, but whenever I get the chance I'm taking another airline.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  13 October 2014 by M Kozlov   (The Netherlands)

LY339, Tel-Aviv - Amsterdam, 28 Sep 2014, 737-800, window seat. The flight was full and had a delay of almost 2 hours which is main reason of the total score, however El Al arrival and departure times are more convenient as compared with KLM. The flight attendants were not particularly cheerful but they did their job professionally. There was a choice of 2 main courses, I opted for chicken meatballs with couscous which tasted fine. The seats with adjustable headrests were quite comfortable.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  6 October 2014 by C Mahler   (USA)

ATH-TLV-EWR horrible service. Security never ending. Wanted me to explain reason for my vacation, why had so much vacation time. Looked through my phone pics in ATH. Onboard first flight warm sandwich and bottle of water. No entertainment. Prepared for landing very early close to 45 mins out. On way to Newark one beverage service with tiny cups. No beer or spirits. Only soft drinks and red wine. Then dinner which was OK. No further beverages entire flight. Only tiny water on meal tray. They did follow up with coffee. IFE was so old and on a loop. Made 12 hour flight unbearable. I fly often and found these seats horrible. No room to move. Only plus were gate agents who were kind. Crew and security out of control and rude. Never again.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  7 August 2014 by S Rose   (Israel)

TLV-ATH-TLV in July. Outbound full B747-400. Total chaos during boarding, many of the home printed boarding cards did not pass the reader, many passengers were asked to wait aside for new boarding cards for up to 20 min. Not a nice scene. Onboard, no IFE, the excuse "short flight" never heard of such a poor reason. Food was a warm bun with cheese or tuna and a bottle of water. Poor. Some passengers were offered choices between cheese or tuna, some were not. Kids were offered nice toys or games, nice touch. Return onboard B737-800, all went perfectly. Friendly and organized crew, but same poor catering. This time IFE was offered, even though flight was "shorter" than outbound. All in all good experience.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  14 July 2014 by A Srisawat   (Thailand)

TLV-BKK round trip. Flight was old and not comfortable. Service was non-existent on both flights. The tasteless food was given as if we were begging for it. When I asked for water from the crew, it was also given in a similar manner. Apart from those interactions, the staff was invisible throughout the flight. There was no on-board entertainment. Also, we weren't able to hear anything the pilot said due to bad speakers. The toilet was filthy. Definitely not worth going through the excessive security and flying the longer route (to avoid other middle eastern countries) for such old plane and bad service.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  9 July 2014 by Sara Jacobs   (UK)

Friday June 27th from London Luton. Returned on July 6th. I flew with EL-AL June 2014 London-TLV-London. 737-800 series from Luton. I find staff very friendly and always willing to help. Very acceptable food. Best thing about EL-AL is the security.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  1 July 2014 by S Rose   (Israel)

B777, LHR-TLV. Warm welcoming crew at the door, inclusive of head stewardess, nice touch. Had a bulkhead seat which was comfortable. Free soft and alcoholic drinks followed by a delicious hot lunch Israeli Style. 2 water rounds on a 4 hour flight, toilets clean, cabin crew always smiled and ready to serve. IFE on demand, but very limited selection. Great Israeli hospitality, US carriers can learn one or two things about economy class service from ELAL.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  11 June 2014 by Paul Atkins   (Australia)

Flew from HKG to TLV last week on Boeing 777. Unlike my previous flight in the opposite direction this flight was very good. The purser and flight attendants were friendly and helpful. The food was tasty.T here were drink runs throughout the flight. The seats were comfortable for economy class. The toilets were kept clean. The entertainment system was on demand but programing was limited. It goes to show that the quality of the flight is determined by the crew and this is inconsistent on El Al.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  27 May 2014 by Jack Marshall   (USA)

Flew from LAX to Tel Aviv and back on 777. Crew was curt and inattentive, service is not a word staff understand, please and thank you was like wise. The food was eatable but uninspiring, plane was dirty.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  26 May 2014 by A Subrahmanyam   (USA)

TLV-LAX B777. Seat back when not reclined is too stiff and strains neck muscles. Just two meal services, both very light. Very poor snack selections. IFE is laughable, fuzzy video on fixed loop with obscure movies. That El Al cannot invest in state of the art IFE for such long flights is shameful. Flight attendants pretty curt and careless (delivered my special meal to the wrong seat and didn't check or apologize). While the 3-3-3 seat layout on the 777 helps, the cabin still seemed very cramped.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  5 May 2014 by Paul Atkins    (Australia)

TLV-HKG, Boeing 777. At check-in staff were so rude in their manner and speech to the passenger. Sold me an extra leg room seat that had no electric's, no reading light working, no movie screen working. When complained to the purser he shouted that it was not his problem. A fellow passenger an El All platinum ff member told me that the seats have not been working for a while. All the extra leg room seats electric's were not working. It is unfair to charge unsuspecting customers for seats that they know do not work. It is terrible being on a 12 hour flight without being able to read or watch anything. The food portions were tiny but tasty. The hostesses did not hand out landing cards for Hong Kong when I asked them they said it was not needed! Wasted 10 minutes having to fill them up at immigration. No drink service throughout the flight had to go get water which were given in tiny cups. Not a pleasant experience.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  28 April 2014 by K Collins    (Australia)

We flew Bangkok to Tel Aviv on 13/01/2014 and return to Bangkok 27/01/2014. Both planes were old Boeing 747s, extremely cramped seating and not very clean. Food served was very average, staff needed a lesson in politeness. On return trip we were asked if we wanted to upgrade our seats, which we did as I had had both hips replaced. We accepted this and paid $99 each to be given two seats under the TV screen at the partition of the section, I could not stretch out both of my legs as it was impossible. I asked the hostess to move the both of us as these seats had less leg room than we had previously been allocated. I explained to the hostess that we had paid for extra leg room and that it was impossible to sit in these seats for 10.5 hours. We were moved to the area at the kitchen which was more leg room. but the noise and traffic in the aisle was pathetic. To charge $99 each was nothing short of a RIP OFF. I suggest that It is about time that EL AL bought some new planes and retire these old planes to the Arizona graveyard. Never again.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  23 April 2014 by Harary Steven    (USA)

I was traveling with my wife and my 6 year old and 3 year old. The seats I was assigned were split, 2 seats together and another 2 seats together mid-way in to the plane. I was under the assumption that when I get to the airport I could ask them to place us near each other, as it would be very inconvenient and uncomfortable to be separated from family members on a long flight like this. At the airport, the representative said she would see what she could do. There were available seats closer together and closer to the front of the plane. The last thing I expected was that the tickets that were given to me would be taken away minutes after. For no apparent reason, the representative revoked the seats. As she handed me the tickets she simply said that she could not give us those seats anymore and the only seats now available were the ones in all the way in the back of the plane. She assured me we were still all going to be seated together and now that's all that could be done. The reps showed no remorse. After boarding the plane, I realized that they put my 2 kids with my wife and had me seated in the middle section of the plane. I had to ask someone to switch seats with me so I could be near my family. The seats were unacceptably tiny for a 10 hour flight, I am an average sized man and I couldn't move my legs! The smell from the bathroom was absolutely unbearable! I stood up for most of the flight. Although I do understand that certain things are surely out of an airlines control, but I do not comprehend why I was treated so poorly during check in.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  12 April 2014 by M Alain    (Israel)

We flew from Tel Aviv to Bangkok in March 2014. Airplane was a 747-400 in both directions but they hadn't the same configuration. On the flight to Bangkok on the lower deck there was business class in the front of the plane. On the flight back, only economy on the lower deck. We decided to book Economy Plus for 150$ each way. On the flight to Bangkok we discovered that our seat were next to the kitchen. Needless to say that there was a lot of interference and I hadn't the opportunity to sleep much despite the fact that it was a night flight. The seats were, as promised, of an improved model with a higher pitch and a greater recline angle. On the flight back to Tel Aviv, the Economy Plus section was situated at the front of the plane were generally you can find the Business Class. This time there was no kitchen nearby but the seats were of an older model with an increased pitch. El Al didn't deliver the same product on the two flights despite what is published on their site. The staff were efficient and kind as always.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  24 March 2014 by Gilad Noiman    (Australia)

HKG-TLV-HKG, flew many times over the last decade, every time the level of service, the quality of food and beverages and the condition of the cabin seems to get worse. Entertainment system always has faults, seats are poorly maintained, beverages selection is minimal and service between meals is hardly available, if you have a window seat you can't find any steward walking the cabin and you must call one specially to bring you a glass of water. An email sent to customer service was never answered and even a survey initiated by El-Al which I had filled was left un-answered. I am a frequent flyer who will try to avoid flying with them in the future whenever possible.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  15 February 2014 by J Gold    (USA)

TLV-JFK. Paid extra for more room seats. Seat was next to the kitchen area, constant activity. When I asked the flight attendant to please close the curtain I was spoken to in a harsh manner and told I was waking everyone up. I was awake the entire 12 hour flight. What a disaster. I will never fly El Al again. Very rude and inattentive staff.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  20 December 2013 by D Farkas    (Israel)

FRA-TLV, Boeing 737-800. EL AL use the Luxx Lounge at FRA. This is shared with Condor, TunisAir, US Airways, Qatar and whoever wants to pay. Packed, almost no food available and before passport control. A hassle and not worth it. Crew onboard nowhere near as nice as on the TLV-FRA flight. Not addressed by name this time. While the seat is not a lie-flat seat like LX or BA use to TLV, it is more comfortable than the so-called business seat that LH and OS use. There could be more recline and more space between the rows but overall fine. Food and wines were again very good. Overall not as my previous flight with EL AL but better than the product LH offers on this route.

TLV-FRA, Boeing 737-800. King David Lounge at TLV a pleasure, quiet and with good food and wine. Onboard greeted by a charming purser and his colleague. Always addressed by name. While the seat is not a lie-flat seat like LX or BA use to TLV, it is more comfortable than the so-called business seat that LH and OS use. There could be more recline and more space between the rows but overall fine. Food and wines fantastic. Crew were proactive, friendly, chatty and present at all times. Very good experience!

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  4 December 2013 by T Kohl    (Germany)

FRA-TLV round trip. Best Economy Class food I have had. Seated at emergency exit, felt like Business Class regarding seat comfort. Entertainment was better than Lufthansa (A321) on this route. Certainly and reasonably more security, so needed to be earlier at the airport. Security staff were very nice anyway.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  18 November 2013 by Daniel Floeckinger    (Austria)

Munich - Tel Aviv. In Munich, they have their own building which is very hard to find. Everywhere policemen and interrogators ask you very personal questions. Baggage is searched without exception. I had a full body inspection with special interrogation because I often fly to Dubai and hold a residence Visa there. They try to be friendly but you feel that they don't want you. Seats are ok and food as well but no one speaks English with you. You can see that they actually understand you very well but don't want to answer to you. No smiles the entire flight. Inflight entertainment is not up to date. Movies are played in a look and I actually did not know one single title. All unknown stuff. Not very tempting on a 4hr flight. Never again.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  18 November 2013 by D Fine    (USA)

My experience was similar to many of the comments already written. I flew JFK-TLV-JFK. 747 outbound. 777 inbound. It is not the fault of El Al, but the 747's faster speed, combined with a strong winter tailwind, made the JFK-TLV leg 9 hr 45 min. On the return (TLV-JFK) a strong headwind and the 777's slower speed made the trip 12 hr. 5 min. I am 6' 1" (182 cm) so I am glad that I was in business class. I found the quality of service to be mediocre to non-existent. In spite of the long length of the flight and my being in business class, I was impressed both by the poor quality of food and the lack thereof! After a 9.40am takeoff, a breakfast was served. The main course was a tiny, tasteless omelette. The next meal was 10 hours later (lunch). My seat malfunctioned. And as many others comment, in the 10-hour interval between meals, the cabin staff made themselves disappear. I would also repeat the comment that the planes are old and the toilets dirty. The real question here is: Does anyone care?

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  12 November 2013 by S Clewett    (New Zealand)

I'm sure they're fine, but they hardly every smile, nor do they even try to speak in English. The food alright I guess, but nothing compared to proper Israeli food. The entertainment is ridiculous. In a land known for ground breaking technology, they have terrible choices of tv/music/movies that most English speaking people have never heard of. Movie starts once and that's it. I'm 5 foot 10 and I was squashed in the seats beyond belief for the entire time. I travelled on this airline as this is what was chosen by my travel agent - never again. I flew Air NZ from New Zealand to Hong Kong, and then at the El-Al airline check we were interrogated and asked some incredibly personal questions. We then flew from Hong Kong to Israel - 33 hours in total - very disappointed indeed.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  26 October 2013 by D MacInnes    (New Zealand)

Cabin was dirty, entertainment was a continuous loop so if you missed the start of a film you would have to continue watching because if you changed channel and watched another film you would have to watch it from the same point so you would miss the beginning. Service was poor - never came back when I requested another glass of wine and looked like they didn't want too help. They only smile if you speak Hebrew! Seats were cramped. Food was actually ok but not special - a bowl of hummus and pitta, but no beer! Additional security hassles - again if you don't speak Hebrew they will give you an additional grilling in a pointless and child like way possibly searching you as well. A pointless episode as all other flights fly in to Israel without this hassle!

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  16 October 2013 by A Borodin    (Australia)

Flew Bangkok - Tel Aviv, LY082 and return LY081 September/October 2013. Extensive security interrogations bordering on the ridiculous. Once on board, the plane was quite dated and dirty. Entertainment system was too poor to bother with. Food was reasonably good (esp. the breakfast). Onboard service was minimal and cursory (not so much unfriendly, just not particularly hospitable - compared to the Thai flight BNE to BKK it was the diametric opposite). Drinks (of all kinds) were not being served regularly but only once with dinner and there was no real selection. Overall it was reminiscent of Finnair on its Helsinki-Hong Kong flights, but with an older aircraft. I would suggest avoiding this airline unless you have no other choice.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  16 October 2013 by Harry Aronowicz    (Canada)

YYZ-TLV-YYZ, LY 030 on 8th of October, LY 029 on 15th of October. Both in and outbound flights on time. Very friendly staff, excellent leg room and decent sleep comfort. Plane very clean, does not show its age. Entertainment has been significantly improved as now an IPad with a large movie selection is being offered. What makes these flights much better then the competition is their scheduling. Both flights are overnight and both arrive in the early morning hours in Tel Aviv and Toronto. This allows to maximize time - staff does its utmost to allow for a long "night time sleep" and jet lag is minimized. An added bonus is their very competitive pricing in Business Class.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  8 October 2013 by J Holtz    (Switzerland)

Zurich - TLV - Zurich on 737-800. Seat 23A. Seating was more comfortable and spacious than you would expect on a single-aisle aircraft. Cabin and toilets were very clean. Food was tasty, generous servings and very friendly and responsive flight attendants on both flights. Alcoholic beverages offered with the meal services and frequent cabin walk-throughs with water and soft drinks throughout this 4 hour flight. Punctual departures both in Zurich and TLV. The comfort in seating and meal service was like on a long-haul aircraft. However, EL AL lags behind in the entertainment business, as there were only small foldout screens on the sealing. Overall, I would recommend this airline to any traveler from Europe to Israel. Very friendly and uncomplicated service, including the security personnel - they were very thorough, yet very polite.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  3 October 2013 by L Norton    (UK)

Flew LTN to TLV and return back to Heathrow, both in business class. Flight delayed by 2 hours on the way out and was called and emailed by El Al. The lounge at Luton is nothing special, food supplied by a local kosher milky restaurant. 767 was ok, it's old and dated but the leg room is great. Seat in front reclines back which does encroach on your space and they give you an iPad as a tv. I travelled with a toddler and the kids meal was okay. Return back on a very fully 747 and really enjoyed the flight. Excellent cabin crew who were lovely and had no issues.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  1 October 2013 by R Cohen    (Israel)

Flight delayed more than 3 hours, so I missed an important meeting. Earlier notice would have given me time to find an alternative. The staff didn't even try to help and find a solutions. The food inflight was inedible. The entertainment system was ridiculous and included a poor quality public screen. The flight price was extremely high compare to the value.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  3 September 2013 by Assaf Schwartz    (Israel)

Tel Aviv-Munich-Tel Aviv and Tel Aviv-Milan-Tel Aviv. Captain was very nice and welcoming like all flight attendants. The meal was ok. Flew with old Boeing 767-300ER and Boeing 737-800ER. For short flights the 767 plane is ok and the 737 is less comfortable. Entertainment was a little bit poor, no individual TV's.

1 2 3