El Al Israel Airlines Passenger Reviews and El Al Israel Airlines Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  28 February 2012 by M Shilkrut (USA)

EWR-TLV, economy, B777-200. The cheapest flight on this route. Check-in was fast, but boarding was slow and the security officer rude and pointless. Plane left 45 mins late but arrived on time. Seat was comfortable with enough space. Food was delicious, especially the breakfast. The entertainment was not as extensive as other Asian carriers. Flight attendants were responsive and present in the cabin during this long flight.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  28 February 2012 by A Septi (Israel)

I have flown El Al many times, both TLV-JFK and TLV-Europe. In terms of legroom, while flights between Israel and the US may be a bit tight, I have found on all of my flights to Europe that there is plenty of legroom. The menu has been upgraded in the past few years and the food is excellent. The crew are very attentive to passengers' needs.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  16 February 2012 by S Crocker (Australia)

Sydney-Bangkok on Thai, Bangkok-Tel Aviv on El Al - I saw a great contrast. The worst thing apart from long security checks was the minimal seating space. Back of seat pockets hanging off, in-seat screen stopped working within 30 mins, passengers congregate in the aisles. No safety info, some of the "waitresses" rather haughty. No-one was rude but the whole trip was a cramped, overly warm experience that ideally demonstrated why the name "cattle class" was invented.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  6 December 2011 by Lloyd Rosenberg (USA)

The seats were very narrow and uncomfortable and leg room was the same on my flight from New York to Tel Aviv on a 777 jet. The food was good for airline food and the service was good.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  17 November 2011 by Harry Aronowicz (Canada)

TLV-YYZ. Flight on time, clean plane, spacious comfortable seat. Nice food, pleasant crew. Seat did not have video screen but portable "vidibox" was offered which was an acceptable alternative. In any case, prefer to sleep during night flight then watching movies.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  14 November 2011 by Sandy Socal (USA)

Please note most of the good reviews are for Business Class - this is no accident. The economy seating is extremely poor in comparison to many international carriers I've flown. My knees were touching the seat in front before seat was reclined! On the 16 hour flight between Los Angeles and Tel Aviv, El Al kept the cabin lights dim and enforced all window shades shut for 14 hours. I have to concur with previous posters about the lack of decorum: some passengers insisted on fully reclining their seats during meals and landing. Strangely, flight attendants seemed fearful of some of these people and would not confront them.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  1 October 2011 by J Brown (UK)

Business Class from London to Tel Aviv. Check-in was located in a new area with security lane directly into the duty free shopping area. Staff were thorough and polite. Aircraft was 90 mins late leaving. I was sitting on the lower deck of the 747 with a 2x3x2 configuration. New seating in 'shells' meant there was no reclining seat annoyance. The angle of seat recline and general comfort was poor and I could not get comfortable. Choice of beef, chicken or fish with no menu, I opted for the fish which was reasonable. Flight attendants pleasant. Immigration at Tel Aviv easy as I was first off the aircraft and luggage soon followed. In summary everything was fine apart from the uncomfortable seats.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  12 September 2011 by K Hopkinson (UK)

Flew from London. Security staff split my partner and I up and questioned us at length, they then called us into a side room just before boarding to search our hand luggage. By the end of a long day's travel I felt stressed and miserable. I understand the need for security but there was no attempt at service. The flight itself was ok and the food nice. But as someone else noted they do not observe inflight safety procedures, bags are left in aisles and emergency procedures not demonstrated. The in cabin atmosphere was pretty chaotic. That will be the first and last time I fly El Al.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  21 August 2011 by R Taylor (USA)

Business class was wonderful, friendly service from NY to Tel Aviv. Seat was not flat, but I slept for 8 hrs. Food was great and Business was worth the price.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  29 July 2011 by B Namsil (USA)

Newark-Tel Aviv, B777-200, Business Class. Very professional and attentive crew. Excellent food service. Comfortable seat but not fully flat nor anything outstanding. Entertainment system with good selection. In summary, a good recommended travel experience.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  25 July 2011 by Leonard Fagan (USA)

Outstanding flight from TLV to CDG. Upgraded to Business Class from Economy for $100/seat. Service was excellent. Cabin was clean. Flight attendants excellent.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  6 July 2011 by Daniel Rubiniak (Israel)

Roundtrip TLV-AMS-TLV, both trips on a new 738. Check In reasonably efficient, FA's enthusiastic, tasty meals although very limited choice as the same two dishes were offered in both flights, and beyond all, the flight was offered for the most competitive price., All in all, a good and worthy experience.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  29 June 2011 by MW Studer (Austria)

VIE-TLV-VIE on a Boeing 737-800, seats comfy, meal sufficient and almost tasty. We booked El Al because it was more than 200 Euros cheaper than Austrian Airlines. We didn't worry about the security before we got to the airport, as Israeli friends have told us that we would be asked some questions about security matters only. In the end we spent about 1 hour at the check-in counter, telling some young security guy about our private lives and personal relationship. As non-Israelis we were questioned separately and our "stories" were put together afterwards. Telling so much about your private live to some 20 year old security guy is not worth saving 200 Euros.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  18 June 2011 by E Cristol (USA)

Probably one of the worst Economy Class cabins I flew. They pack you in like sardines so you are out of luck whether you are in a window or an Aisle seat. Food is horrid, service is not rude, but sort of non existent. I enjoyed Israel a lot, and found that the airline does not represent the country well. The security part was actually not too bad, but the flight was hot, cramped and rather unpleasant.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  6 June 2011 by Sharon Bebek (USA)

Aside from some of the worst service inflight, El Al let my cat loose on the tarmac at Ben Gurion airport. When calling their lost and found call centre, I was told by a representative that a lost suitcase has a higher priority than finding a family cat. Their actions display a lack of regard for life, period. Unlike people in Israel, those of us from the United States love and respect our family pets.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  29 April 2011 by Richard Edmondson (New Zealand)

We visited the Middle East in May 2011. Before leaving New Zealand, we made bookings with El Al (via the Web) to fly Tel Aviv to Cairo. When we arrived at the airport to check in for the flight, El Al staff informed us that the flight had been cancelled. They arranged for us to fly to Cairo via Amman with Royal Jordanian the same day, but we are cross that they didn't bother to inform us of the cancellation. The booking was made in September 2010 and they had an email address to reach us at.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  29 April 2011 by P Koch (USA)

EWR-TLV, B777 business class, fantastic staff, good food. Business class seats not comfortable for 12 hour flight TLV-JFK on old 747 business class. Food good and nice staff, nice lounges in Newark and TLV.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  28 April 2011 by Matthew Snowling (UK)

BRU-TLV-BRU Economy. I fly this route regularly and on the two very rare occasions I saw this flight cheaper than Brussels Airlines, I chose it. Never again! On all 4 legs of the flight I was treated like a criminal by ELAL security, the front room staff are rude, ask the same questions without listening to the answer, they left me in a room for over an hour each time and failed to advise why. I appreciate security is very much needed, but it must be professional. Israelis were barely checked! The plane was old, service awful, noisy and safety terrible as airline regulations not enforced, such as bags in emergency exits and people removing bags on landing!

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  27 March 2011 by J May (USA)

JFK-TLV. Security top notch, food pretty good and I found flight attendants attentive, but the seats on both the 777 and 747 were horrible - the tightest I've ever had to endure. Unless they reconfigure seating, I'll never fly El Al again.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  23 March 2011 by A Paull (USA)

TLV-JFK. Flight was overbooked and denied boarding even though we were on a tour. I understand this is a common occurrence and that Israelis are given preference over residence of other countries. El Al wanted to place us on standby even though there were seats in business and 1st class. EL AL wanted to place us on the 600am flight from TLV to Barcelona with transfer to AA plane to JFK. So instead of arriving 600am we would arrive 300pm with no sleep. Not acceptable. Wanted to purchase 1st class ticket, EL Al did not want to sell. Finally convinced El AL to sell me the 1st class tickets. Once I became a paying passenger, I guess a group ticket does not count as a paying passenger, attitudes change and El AL became friendly. Flight was pleasant, lots of space, seats folded flat, FA attentive. Unless you fly business or 1st class, cannot recommend this airline.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  7 January 2011 by Kathryn Coke (USA)

LAX to TLV recently, and the worst flight I've ever been on. Bad leg room, terrible food, and an elderly lady next to me trying to take over half my seat, I've come to expect nothing more from most flights. What I do care about is the careless way they treated my luggage. All of my luggage except for my violin were messed up (and I mean messed up) when I got them back.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  11 December 2010 by F Butler   (UK)

EL AL between London and Tel Aviv 4 times now and each time has been stressful in one way or the other. B767 has really bad legroom and is very cramped with very poor IFE. You don't get a choice, you just watch whatever is being shown, and Iwas a good 4-5 meters away from the pathetically small screen. Many passengers refuse to conform to any rules, ignoring the crew instructions. El Al needs to be more forceful in maintaining a level of decorum. Food is very good, service was friendly on flight and the airport. Security is lengthy but the security staff are polite. Since I don't have much choice of carrier for business flights, I can be sure that I will be flying with them again, but after 8 flights with El Al, I'm as prepared as I can be - some good earplugs, an eye-mask (they keep the lights on too long overnight), an ultra-small laptop to watch my own movies on the cramped seating area, and the all-essential neck-pillow. Try to get the thursday evening flight out of Tel Aviv, rather than the Friday morning flight - its a lot less busy, albeit no less noisy and irritating.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  16 November 2010 by M Jackson   (USA)

The restrooms and aisles were blocked for long periods of time as men congregated to pray. The seats were awful - narrow and hard. My wife asked for some orange juice; never got it. The security is great but terrible at the same time. I felt safe but was worried I would miss my connecting flight due to some searches taking 30 minutes each. I will never fly El AL again.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  24 October 2010 by K Downs   (USA)

I flew El Al for the first time this past week and will never fly this airline again. I was seated next to the galley and the attendants left the curtain open at all times. I kept closing it so I could get some sleep since it was a 1 am flight, but the attendant always opened it again. There was so much noise on this flight that I could not get to sleep at all. The reservation desk of El Al made a mistake with my return flight and it took 2 hrs at the airport for them to fix it. The food was the only good thing about this airline.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  23 October 2010 by E Har-Tal   (USA)

New York JFK-Tel Aviv, Tel Avi to Newark. On the way to Israel, B744, old seats, old LCD screens, with poor quality image. Food okay flight attendants nice and polite. JFK is a nightmare to connect. EL AL security personnel polite. One complaint is that they kept the lights on, to allow them to sell Duty Free items for another hour. TLV-EWR, newer B777, but not with IFE on demand. Service for dinner only a sandwich, since it was a midnight departure. I got a Gluten Free meal which was nice and actually had a taste. The seats on B777 were nicer. EWR much easier to connect. Check in staff in Tel-Aviv excellent. My father in law was 83, they allowed us to go to a special check in desk where the security personnel came and cleared us instead of standing a long line.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  23 September 2010 by J Floss   (Israel)

Tel Aviv-London, Berlin-Tel Aviv, in old B757. Cabin crew very friendly and attentive. However, there's a big minus for the old plane, in the rear of the cabin the noise is almost unbearable. The security check on the flight to Israel was quite surreal, the cross- questioning and other things made me feel like in a James Bond movie; however, the security personnel friendly. My bag was opened and searched without me, but everything arrived in one piece in Tel Aviv.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  15 September 2010 by F Lanquetin   (Germany)

Tel Aviv to Frankfurt on B767-300. On the bad side, the flight was delayed for approx 2 hours due to a technical problem on the incoming aircraft. However we were given accurate information and breakfast was offered in an airport café. Aircraft was old but in good condition and clean. Seat comfortable and seat pitch fine. Staff friendly and attentive, serving water during the flight. Hot meal was fine. Headphones free of charge, IFE limited to old overhead monitors showing a recent movie.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  19 August 2010 by B Namsil   (USA)

MAD-TLV Business Class B737-800. On the positive side, attentive crew and excellent lunch service. Entertainment program enjoyable. Seat from the old generation but comfortable. Service and comfort would shine more with an upgraded airplane. On the preventive side, some flights form the USA and South America connecting in Madrid with ELAL to TLV do not have enough time for luggage to be transfered and go through ELAL strict security process which includes passengers recognition of each piece. This is due not so much for the extra time for ELAL security but mainly for slow luggage transfer and baggage claim at Barajas airport.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  14 June 2010 by Jonathan Miller   (UK)

C-class Luton-TLV and return TLV-LHR. Out on a tired 757 with far from state-of-the-art seats and antique IFE, cheerful crew, decent food. Smooth security screening at Luton. Easy clearance through newish T3 at TLV. Return on a 777 - again fairly weary but with an excellent crew. I know my experience is not in accord with others, but I found nothing really to complain about other than a somewhat tired collection of aircraft.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  21 April 2010 by J Feiglin   (Australia)

CDG-TVL-FCO. CDG-TLV on B777. Aircraft reasonably new and IFE acceptable though not brilliant. Long boarding delays, due to what seemed like poor organisation and passengers not following instructions. Econony class was reasonably comfortable. Food not bad. TLV-FCO on an old B737, IFE limited and quite poor, and seats were not as comfortable as the B777. The service was reasonable, and security, whilst thorough and overbearing was not as bad as I had thought that it would be.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  22 March 2010 by G Preis   (USA)

I did not enjoy my flights from JFK-TLV-JFK. The meals were OK, lack of legroom was appalling. The IFE was passable, but nothing on demand, just a few movies on a cycle. El Al is too permissive with the amount of carry-on luggage permitted. But the big problem is the passengers who treat the aircraft like a city park, wandering the aisles, clustering in conversation groups to the point of ignoring the crew’s instructions. El Al needs to enforce some decorum. Crew did their best to smile, but seemed to have given up on any hope of more civility. Nice snacks in the galley throughout the flight.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  17 March 2010 by Paul Hillier   (Australia)

Bangkok to Tel Aviv. Very old aircraft, dirty and many features/items not working. Entertainment system appalling, still projecting movies onto bulkhead screen and only radio options in seat. Too much cabin baggage allowed. Food surprisingly good, although no frills like other carriers. Sparing with water, but available on request. Lots of children on board, so all bulkhead bassinets taken. Cabin crew did their best, generally cheerful and accommodating. Long flight time, but didn't have too many options to get to Tel Aviv, was also expensive for economy class ticket. TLV security measures - be prepared and stay calm!

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  12 February 2010 by L Green   (USA)

Airplane dated and small seats but crew friendly. Breakfast good, other meals fair to poor. At airport in NYC I was interrogated and my companion taken in a private room and his bags searched. Fine with us - I feel safer.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  28 January 2010 by Jan Kaye   (Australia)

Johannesburg to Tel Aviv on Boeing 767. Old aircraft, narrow seats, small food portions and tasteless. No beer or wine served. A budget airline with expensive airfares - never again.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  26 January 2010 by C Amouyal   (USA)

I have been flying El Al since 1968 but the last trip was the worst. The seats are smaller than most airlines and my seat was next to the galley, the noise and smells were horrible. Instead of the advertised dinner meal- they have switched it to just a sandwich - either egg or chicken smothered in peppers. Flight attendents were actually very rude and sarcastic and informed me Israelis eat their meal at lunch - assuming no one else flies this airline - and they said breakfast was better - horrible also. After 40 years of flying El Al I was so surprised - they always had great food and extra if you requested it. I did send a complaint letter and they called me and said they are trying this now because they do cater to Israelis and they like egg sandwiches for dinner. They said maybe they will "Sell" food - well after paying about $1300 they will give you a sandwich and hope you buy the better food?

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  24 January 2010 by L Ramirez   (USA)

TLV-LAX-TLV. Extremely poor service for unaccompanied minors. Despite having paid the 75 USD unaccompanied minor fee (150 USD roundtrip) at the point of origin, the agent at the check-in counter at LAX forced my children to pay it again on the return trip. This, despite the fact that the airline record which I later obtained, clearly showed the fee was paid round trip. The refund procedure has been another nightmare. Upon arrival at TLV, the employee who was supposed to escort my children to the arrivals area released them without asking to see my ID, and without requiring a signature. Very sloppy indeed.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  23 January 2010 by K Bird   (USA)

Los Angeles to Tel Aviv direct flight business class on a 777. The seats do not recline to 180 degrees, friendly staff and personal tvs. I agree the security is invasive during the check in process but in today's world I welcome it!

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  21 January 2010 by J Chan   (New Zealand)

Bangkok to Tel Aviv. After the friendly attentive Thai service from Melbourne to Bangkok, El Al was a stark contrast. The security at Bangkok was excessive. I appreciate the need for tight security but only non-Jewish/Israelis were cross-examined. The guy doing the questioning was rude. I was made to wait for about half an hour then taken to a downstairs room - with no explanation of what was happening. My bags and shoes were taken into a separate room for inspection. I felt the entire time that I was a criminal. Onboard the flight was totally packed and the FA's did the bare minimum. I didn't get my vegetarian meal - but luckily the breakfast meal was vegetarian (kosher) and quite tasty. I will avoid flying EL AL at all costs in the future.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  14 January 2010 by A Parker   (Germany)

The check-in security procedure is far too invasive, including asking to see photographs on my camera, itinerary on my laptop, receipts, etc. I understand the need for security, but looking at personal photographs and items on my laptop is beyond ridiculous. The onboard service is mediocre, food below mediocre, and the quality of aircraft is below average - on two 6+ hour international flights, we were subject to viewing in-flight entertainment on projection screens at the front of each section of the aircraft. My luggage was left in Tel Aviv, even though there was a 5 hour layover.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  13 January 2010 by V Berman   (Australia)

AMS-TLV-AMS. The security procedures were not too tedious or invasive, security people were friendly. We flew Melbourne to Amsterdam by a separate booking, and one of my suitcases was lost before the El Al flight. Schiphol staff filed the complaint and told us to follow it up in Tel Aviv. The plane was an old 737, the food was not so good, neither was the quality of the service. In Tel Aviv the lost and found department not only helped handle the luggage problem, but gave me and my wife free toiletry kits with T-shirts, underwear and all the basics, not just a cheap disposable type. The luggage arrived to the place where we stayed safe and not tampered with. The flight back was still with 737, but better service and food. El Al FAs might appear rude, not paying enough attention but you do need to know how to talk to them. Overall, I'd rather fly a European or Asian airline, but El Al is acceptable when required to go direct to Israel.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  7 January 2010 by David Rose   (UK)

LHR-TLV return. The flights were busy but check in and security both ways quick and efficient. The staff questions were y, polite and professional, as were flight staff. The planes - ageing 767s - had no proper entertainment system, but a better leg room pitch than usual in economy these days. Food quite poor. Overall: a much better experience than I had feared.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  8 November 2009 : by Alan McQuillan   (UK)

LHR to Tel Aviv return. Outbound on B777-200ER. Seats excellent, PTV but I didn't bother with it. Economy over 80% full but staff attentive. After take off, served drinks and nibbles followed by meal. Tel Aviv to LHR was a venerable 747 - dated but everything worked. Aircraft was full and cabin crew working flat out. The bargain was the seat upgrade - economy seats are fine but if there are seats free on board you can buy what's really a premium seat with about 48" legroom at bulkhead or exit rows - just $39.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  5 October 2009 : by Linda Notelovitz   (South Africa)

International seats as small as domestic SAA. No drinks served, understaffed, food disgusting. Flying EL AL has been the worst experience of my life. Now I know what it means when they say you get what you pay for. I will gladly pay an extra few thousand rand next time to go another airline - but will never again fly EL AL. They are so concerned about their security issues they forget all about their customers. They make you feel like a criminal and treat you like a dog during flight.

EL AL Israel Airlines customer review :  8 September 2009 : by L Schuman   (US)

EWR-TLV-EWR. First trip on new 777, almost full but we had the center seat empty. Food was good and hot. Comfy seats and minimal noise. Return delayed by an hour due to a broken lavatory door. No empty center seat this time and a "would not shut up" passenger next to me made this flight a lot less comfortable. Dinner good although served at 2-30 am! Used frequent flyer miles and the cost for two tickets was $155.00 US round trip.

1 2 3