China Eastern Airlines Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  1 October 2013 by E Duff    (Australia)

We flew China Eastern as part of a package Tour with a Nexus Holidays. The fight was from Sydney to Beijing via Shanghai. The food was good and drinks (beer/wine) was available on request, although friends who traveled on an earlier flight said that they only received one beer for the whole trip. We ignored the movie as it was a small screen set in the ceiling and you risked a stiff neck watching it. Seats were uncomfortable for such a long trip and we had over an hour delay at Shanghai airport, most of it sitting in the plane, with poor air conditioning, before our connecting flight took off for Beijing. On the connecting flight to Beijing, the in-flight movie was once again on a small screen in the ceiling but this time we were not supplied with a headset, so it was pointless. Our return flight to Sydney was from Shanghai, food was OK but if you were seated in the middle of the plane, and wanted a wine or beer with your meal - bad luck - they ran out half way through the service. The Steward told me that they only had four bottles of wine to serve among all passengers and only a dozen small cans of beer. I guess the point I am trying to make here, is that China Eastern promote themselves as a full service airline - not a budget one, however you get the feeling that it is bordering on a budget carrier. Would we fly with them again? I don't think so, this was a one-off package tour for us to experience a trip to China and, as we always arrange our own travel, I would rather pay that little bit extra and enjoy a more comfortable and full service flight.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  27 September 2013 by S Harding    (UAE)

Kunming to Chengdu, 26 September. Good points: 3 week old 737-800 with passably comfortable seats, that reclined and had ample leg room. Food and drink provided for a flight just over an hour long although, being a vegetarian, the ham sandwich was not to my taste. Bags waiting on the carousel - beware the long walk that characterises modern Chinese airports. Bad points: Twice the price of the outbound flight though, to be fair, it was a peak time departure (1630). An hour late leaving with no explanation other than the incoming plane was delayed; probably weather related with the after effects of Typhoon Usagi creating havoc generally - the weather at Chengdu was particularly inclement - so why not say so? Failure to control carried-on luggage resulted in chaotic boarding, the overhead lockers full with little more than half the passengers onboard - again, beware if travelling in China, pretty much anything and everything, irrespective of size, is brought into the cabin. In summary, OK, a far higher standard than any European airline would provide, but I've had better in China, notably Sichuan Airlines.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2013 by R Smith    (UK)

Gets you from A to B at reasonable price but not an experience to be repeated too often. Flew Singapore to Vancouver with Shanghai change. Food was barely edible. Choice of drinks very limited. Out of 4 USB tried only 2 worked and headphones crackled too much to enjoy movies. Hope the aircraft maintenance is better.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  25 September 2013 by M Veldman    (Korea)

My flight started with a 3 hour delay in Korea and therewith I missed my connecting flight in Shanghai. China Eastern put me on a new flight, however I had to transfer airports, the expenses that came with this transfer were on me. The employee however told me that I would be upgraded to business on my new flight. Once I arrived at Pudong, I was informed that my new connecting flight was delayed, which was already known the day before. Later on the evening, the flight was cancelled. After a struggle with staff, nobody spoke English and after some effort I was able to have them call someone for me, I was able to get on another airline, however I was put in the worst seat at the back of the plane, with a seat that did not recline. On my return flight, I had to change airports again from Pudong to Hongqiao. Upon arrival at Hongqiao I was denied access to the airport, because the airport closes at midnight! On my flight to my destination: China Eastern put me on a flight that was delayed without informing me, did not give me the choice to take a flight the next day, promised an upgrade but did not actually give it, put me on a flight and caused me a 7 hour delay, creates additional transportation costs between airports, has staff that does not speak English. On my flight back: does not notify passengers about delays, while boarding time has passed and the airplane has not even arrived yet, offers flights with a transfer between airports, while the airports closes, does not offer the transfer between the airports, does not inform the passengers that the airport closes, does not offer accommodation nor compensation for any of this. My advice: avoid this airline.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  23 September 2013 by George Anda    (Australia)

I will never use this airline again. We had a 10 hour flight. There was no entertainment except for a small monitor at the front of the economy cabin showing an Asian movie with subtitles. No screen on back of seats. A long flight and not much water supplied. Food was terrible and not much anyhow. No salt or pepper sachets. We asked for a glass of wine and were shocked to receive a tiny amount (about 40mls or 3 tablespoonfuls) at the bottom of a plastic cup, when we complained we were told there is "only one bottle for the whole plane". At dinner no wine was offered to anyone so I assume this is true. Ten hours on a long flight, with no entertainment, not much water, terrible food and virtually no wine, little English spoken by staff is torture.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  19 September 2013 by R Allemann    (Switzerland)

Flight from PVG to NRT on A321. I have read many negative comments on China Eastern and was a bit worried. Check- in was fast and staff very friendly. The lounge was rather poor. Also boarding was slightly chaotic but once on board all was fine. The business class seats offered quite some space. Food was good, drinks ok. IFE not existent, but who needs this for a 2.5hr flight anyway. Overall a nice experience.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  11 September 2013 by R Bliss    (Japan)

On my return flight from Denpasar through Shanghai to Osaka, the flight was delayed out of Bali for an hour with absolutely no information, there was a gate change with no information, and we had to clear immigration in China, collect our bags, check them back in and re-clear immigration. All in, it was pretty annoying, especially considering I had arrived at the airport after midnight for a 3.40am flight. But these irritations aside, I found the service prompt and friendly, the food about as exciting as I have had on any other airline, and the value for money exceptional. Of course a trip across the Pacific on a new A380 is more comfortable, but for short and medium haul flights this airline is not incomparable to what other full service airlines have to offer for the same length hauls. It is ridiculously cheap. Return from Japan to Bali on a full service airline cost me less than a flight from Australia to New Zealand (half the distance) on a budget airline where I have to pay for my own luggage, food and drinks and entertainment, whilst sitting on a hard faux leather chair with my knees under my ear lobes. I don't know what people expect when they are practically flying for free, but I thought China Eastern was wonderful, given the price!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  5 September 2013 by J Bee    (China)

Unfriendly check in. No knowledge or desire to seat passengers comfortably. This leads to getting on to a half empty flight and discovering people are packed in to the middle rows when half the other rows are empty. Delays - almost never leave on time. Communication about delays is poor/non-existent. Stewardesses often with very little English skills. Their programming is to simply follow a checklist. Abysmal food. Eat before you get on, or take your own food. Many planes arriving in Shanghai, supposedly their "home airport", get met with buses. Poor, thin seats with little padding and minimal recline. Dirty toilets. Entertainment system, or lack of. No in-seat entertainment. Small dropdown screens every 5th row with subtitles too small to read. Don't think business is better. MU business is maybe on par with other airlines economy, in terms of food and entertainment. Complete lack of understanding of service culture. If service is important to you, avoid MU.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 September 2013 by J Seitz    (UAE)

China Eastern was a great option for a cheap flight. Flight from Vancouver to Dubai. First leg Vancouver to Shanghai was a brand new plane with great inflight service. Next leg was Shanghai to Kunming and then on to Dubai. Plane was a little older but still in good shape. Inflight service was very good. I was a little scared when I first read the comments but then realized that some people just love to complain.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  22 August 2013 by J Chen    (USA)

ICN-PVG-WUH. Our flight was suddenly changed 1 day before scheduled departure. It was a pain to get in touch with the airlines and make rearrangements. Then flight was delayed 4 hrs - originally at 10pm but left at 2am. Had to stay in airplane with no air conditioning and with bad service. Food was horrible.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  21 August 2013 by P Henderson    (UK)

Phnom Penh-Shanghai-Tokyo. Food on both flights was awful. Baggage was not checked through despite flying China Eastern all the way and so had to endure a tortuous transit procedure at Shanghai. Flight from Shanghai to Tokyo was delayed 1.5 hours. Reason given was Air traffic control. Both planes were old. The headrest could not be adjusted and stuck into my back making it very uncomfortable. Worst of all was the temperature inside economy class on the second flight. It must have been close to 30 degrees inside the cabin. Clearly something wasn't working properly but no explanation of apology given. I complained to one staff member who just said "mmm yes it is a bit hot isn't it." First time flying China Eastern and almost certainly the last.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  15 August 2013 by J Tickner    (Australia)

My husband and I travelled on MU551 from LHR-PVG and 3 days later on MU561 from PVG-SYD. The trip from London was fine, the A330 plane was near new, seats not that comfy but ok. The food was fine not western but it is a Chinese airline. Entertainment was good, choice of films not great but enough. Flight attendants appeared aloof but came regularly around the cabin with water. No bar service apart from red wine. Flight from Shanghai to Sydney was also ok - an older plane with drop down screens and subtitled movies. Staff again appeared aloof however served water regularly, again no bar service except limited red wine. Food was not brilliant. The worse thing was the Chinese passengers who would not follow instructions from the cabin staff! A couple of things to bear in mind - The Chinese do not deal with strangers well whether Chinese or Western, even if it is there job to do so, it is there culture not to smile at people they do not know. A lot of comments have been about lack of alcohol, well this is a Chinese airline, the Chinese culture is not a big drinking culture, white wine is uncommon and spirits only for the wealthy. All in all the staff were polite but had a job to do which they take very seriously. I think one has to remember this is not a western airline and the main thing is they get you from a to b safely. Both flights were on time.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  13 August 2013 by N Anderson    (South Korea)

I will never be flying them again. I did not run into a single polite staff member. Yes, there was the typical "hello" when getting on the plane and of course the asking of "what do you want to drink?" but I rarely saw a smile. One of my flights was delayed 3 hours! However, I didn't know it was delayed until it was close to the take off time and the screen above me finally read that it was delayed an hour. Another hour later it was delayed another hour. Another hour later, it was still delayed. Not a single apology was given to passengers. Not even on the plane. On top of that, I missed my next flight. Do not recommend.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Irene Whennan    (Australia)

Flight MU738, Melbourne to Shanghai and connecting with MU5186 to Beijing - 19th July 2013. Aircraft clean, seats comfortable, our attendants courteous, food satisfying and delicious, and the service was great. Variety of movies and in-flight entertainment was second to none on the leg to Shanghai but on the leg to Beijing we had a drop down screen and with no headphones the subtitles were too small to read so I read a book. This was our first trip overseas and we were glad there were no delays.

Our return leg from Shanghai to Melbourne was as good as our flight over. We travelled on flight MU737 on 28th July. We had the same type of aircraft as on the forward leg and were once again extremely pleased with the aircraft, meals, service and in-flight entertainment. We even managed to get a reasonable amount of sleep in Economy class, and our flight was punctual.