China Eastern Airlines Passenger Reviews and Customer Trip Reports

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  3 January 2014 by R Kelly    (Australia)

My flight from Sydney to New York was grounded in Hangzhou for 5 hours due to smog. They had run out of food supplies to distribute. The flight then stops at Shanghai Airport where we were told to stay overnight at a hotel (as we had missed our connecting flight) and that we would be on the next flight to New York (which was the next day). Arrive at the airport to be told we were only on a waiting list (due to a backlog of delays), despite being promised by the "supervisor" that we were guaranteed seats on the flight. Staff members were incredibly unwilling to help. Avoid at all costs.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by Gaebler Lars    (Thailand)

Flew Economy on BKK-PVG-FRA and return. The ticket price was very cheap. Seat Pitch is okay, PVG airport Terminal 1 is a bit soul less and don't expect to find much to keep you busy but transfer was okay, food on the aircraft is bad but edible if needed. Suggest that you stock up before the flight. IFE was okay on the A330 not excellent but fair, the short haul fleet has no such service except for overhead monitors. No amenity sets handed out so take your tooth brush with you. Drink choice includes beer and wine "made in china" and soft drinks. No spirits. Flights were on time and check in and boarding was normal. All in all it is a bit like an LCC flight with only basic service features. Baggage allowance is very generous even so I did not take advantage of it. Service was not brilliant but I guess okay by Chinese Standards, command of English is basic. All in all exactly how I expected it to be.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  2 January 2014 by B Passmore    (Dominican Republic)

Flew LAX to Shanghai and Shanghai to Sydney, December 28, 2013. Friendly and efficient check-in, great seats, friendly staff and huge amounts of good food. After reading some of the reviews here we were somewhat concerned about our trip but everything was excellent.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  29 December 2013 by L McGinniss    (Australia)

MEL to LHR via Shanghai. No problem at all. On time and on budget! Requested and received exit row seat. Food and entertainment were fine. The transiting procedure in Shanghai was clunky and slow. That was the only (minor) frustration. Ticket was 60 percent of other carriers. It worked for me!

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  25 December 2013 by T Kirchmaier    (UK)

I've now done LHR-SYD three times in C with China Eastern, and have to say it is an excellent offering. Very good value for money, very good seats (lie-flat), and good Chinese food. Getting a short stay visa in Pudong is no problem.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  23 December 2013 by T Maeder    (Germany)

Flew MU220, FRA-PVG in C on 19th Dec. Despite all bad comments about MU I have to say, that they have a superb C- Class product with very comfortable lie-flat-seats on that route, served with a good looking A330-200. Food was very good. The crew rushed through the service. Some may like it, some may not - but because of this there was more time for sleeping. No complaints about IFE, very nice noise-reducing headset. Excellent kit by Salvatore F. Flight was on time. Value for money and recommendable. Will have some domestic travel with MU and the return- flight to FRA and hope to get the same nice experience.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by A Lambert    (China)

Flew Shanghai - Dubai - Shanghai. I have flown over 120,000 miles this year and this was by far the worst experience I have had. All the staff were at least indifferent while some where downright rude, there was confusion on one flight where we were given boarding passes for seat numbers that did not exist, this happened to other passengers on the same flight. Last part of flight delayed by over 4 hours with no apologies from the flight crew.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  10 December 2013 by Marshall Mills    (Canada)

We flew from Vancouver to Shanghai, then Shanghai to Bangkok. The plane from YVR was new. 10" TV's with a huge selection of free, on demand movies in English as well as games, music and other entertainment. There's also a plug for your laptop under your seat and a USB port near the screen. The food was plentiful. Service was fast and efficient. I have nothing bad to say about this airline. From Shanghai, the flight to Bangkok was just as good, although no on demand entertainment. This was fine as it was only a 3.5 hour flight and I had my laptop with me. Plenty of leg room on both flights.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  9 December 2013 by Victor Chan    (USA)

Dec 2, MU578, SFO-PVG on A330. On-time normal flight with 70% passenger occupancy. Service was adequate. No complaints. Dec 3, MU9307, (FM9307), PVG-CAN on B737. On-time normal flight with 90%+ passenger occupancy. Service was adequate. No complaints. Dec 6, MU3294, (CZ 3611) CAN-PVG on A320. 4 hrs delayed because <100ft visibility smog in PVG. No PA announcement. Deplaned once. Provided lunch by CSA. No flight info available. No offer to change flight and no help from China Eastern. Dec 6, MU577, PVG-SFO, A330. Nightmare on this flight. Landed on T1 but had walked to T2. T1-T2 was a long distance walking. Ticket counter service was provided by machine-like people in China Eastern uniform with unwilling, unaccountable and rude attitude. Totally denied to issue boarding pass even plane was sitting at gate for 2.5 hrs from original departure time. Claimed airlines not responsible for bad weather caused delay, cancellation and passenger missing flight. Told to come back next day but no guarantee for seat on standby. Stayed at CSA's hotel for one night. Next day came, still the same message - "airlines not responsible for bad weather caused delay, cancellation and missed flight. Told to come back next day but no guarantee for seat." Went to ticket counter supervisor. Still the same message. Finally, I got a seat. Should you take China Eastern Airlines from SFO to PVG? I would be crazy recommending anyone take China Eastern Airlines.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  3 December 2013 by K Le Quang    (New Zealand)

The worst airline I've flown! My trip was from SGN to PVG and it was delayed for more than an hour but without any advanced notice. The cabin crew appeared too tired to welcome passengers on board without a smile. They announced breakfast would be served after taking off, it was some nuts, water, cracker, biscuit - and they called it breakfast. No one cleaned the rubbish up! The first time during turbulence that I'd heard the crew said "We are in turbulence, but don't worry, we will be landing soon", so ridiculous! Please re-consider if you decide to fly with this airline, unless you cannot find any other option.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  27 November 2013 by K Bakor    (Hungary)

Avoid this airline! I was flying in early October from Beijing to Dhaka. This is supposed to be a direct flight with short stop in Kunming only to refill the plane. Well, it was definitely not true, in Kunming we had to leave even the transit area, and go through all checks again. There were no staff to move our baggage. They decided to leave the baggage behind, but were lying about this. I had connecting flights, and received baggage only two days later, of course without any apologies. The staff were rude and food was terrible.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  25 November 2013 by J Reynolds    (USA)

We were quite worried about this airline after reading all the reviews but were pleasantly surprised at our experience. We left from SFO, flew to Shanghai, then to Osaka and had very good service and on time planes the entire round trip. The food was good and plentiful, the attendants were always serving water and responded immediately to peoples' needs, and the in-flight entertainment was excellent. We would recommend China Eastern Airlines to others.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  21 November 2013 by T Lin    (Australia)

Flight from Shanghai Pudong (PVG) to Sydney Kingsford Smith (SYD). It may have been our luck rather than fault of the airline as the plane was packed with mainland Chinese lack of education or understanding and customs: This flight was rated 'miserable' for us as the elderly behind us bashed our seat forward and refused to communicate. The food served was poor and close to 'inedible' unless you are really hungry. I'm not a drinker on the flight but I did overheard disappointments on lack of alcohol. Our flight attendants had a lack of positive attitude and all seemed to appear a bit grumpy. About 50 minutes before arrival, I was using my iPhone on airplane mode and was demanded to shut it down. Meanwhile there was an iPad in action in front of me and this was completely ignored. Not strictly Eastern China related, but Airbus A330-200 is not suitable to fly long distance (9 hours flight) as it is too small, believed to experience stronger turbulence (this was a bumpy ride) and virtually no Inflight Entertainment. Final words, we have decided to never fly with Eastern China for the time been as (luckily) competition is strong and we have plenty of options between these 2 cities.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  21 November 2013 by Warren Ron    (Australia)

Unfortunately, I do not believe that China Eastern Airlines lives up to the expectations of a "Full Service International Carrier". Even as a cost-effective carrier, they fall short of the mark in my estimations. We recently travelled to Shanghai from Sydney on MU562 and returned approximately ten days later on MU727. On the outward flight, we were at least presented with an aircraft that had rear seat entertainment facilities, however, the inward flight provided nothing more than drop down screens and sub-titled movies. Refreshments were scarce unless you wanted Sprite, Coke, Water or Orange Juice. Alcoholic beverages were nigh on non-existent. On the inward flight, I couldn't eat the breakfast provided as it was neither aesthetically pleasing, tasty nor appetising. Seat space on the aircraft to Shanghai was much better than on the return leg because of the intrinsic design of the seat back. Service was a little off-hand, with basic questions. Not an airline that I would be in a hurry to use again or recommend to anyone else.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  20 November 2013 by L Kong    (Canada)

MU598, YVR-PVG, NOV 9 2013. MU5129, PVG-PEK, NOV 10 2013. MU597, PVG-YVR, NOV 17 2013. At check in, I requested and was granted the window emergency exit seats. As I boarded, I was greeted by flight attendants. I usually board last to avoid crowds. I was given instructions for the exit seat soon after I put away my bag and settled. FAs bowed as the in-flight announcement progressed. Drinks were served, the food had taste, but the rice was kept in the heater for too long and has lost form. The second meal was "breakfast", and I received congee. It was actually good, lots of ginger and was refreshing. The tray was taken away without a long wait. Lavatories were cleaned quite frequently. Since I had the exit seat, there were a lot of flatness in front of me. I ended up sleeping on the ground, and apparently nobody really cared. (I was told not to on the return flight, so I guess it depended on who the flight crew were). The seat could recline well. The domestic (PVG to PEK) flight was a similar experience, though there was only drinks as it was only a 2-hour flight. The return flight was a similar experience, except I did not take the first meal. Overall, there was zero delays, including the domestic flight on a rainy Sunday morning. The returning flight was actually early.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  19 November 2013 by S DeWit    (Netherlands)

I booked a flight on the KLM website for Amsterdam-Shanghai. Only after booking I noticed that it had an AF flight number, but was operated by China Eastern, member of the SkyTeam. The flight to Shanghai over Paris was so-so (food very bad and worst of all, the cabin was all but clean, next to the window chair the dirt (nuts, paper, dust, etc, etc) was still there from previous flights. The flight from Shanghai to Paris was even worse. The food was flatly awful. The crew left the light on (only slightly dimmed) during the night flight (since when do people sleep at night with lights on?), crew was nowhere to be seen in business class until 2 hours before landing, one (way too) small bottle of water. I requested another one and they told me that there was no more!. During the flight there were no snacks (what was offered was so unattractive and small that you wonder where they got this). The English of the staff is not good at all. This was by far the worst Business class flight in many years of flying. SkyTeam do something its hurting your reputation.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Andre Chan    (China)

Shanghai to Guilin round trip. Both legs took off and arrived on time. No food for both flights and flights attendants were very rude. I travelled with some friends and most of them don't understand English, all I can say is we were very well behaved as passengers and one of them said, "I can't take this anymore, they are very annoying." to another in Chinese. Very disappointed, worst flight experience ever and will never fly MU again.

China Eastern Airlines Customer review :  18 November 2013 by Steven Cao    (China)

Shanghai Hongqiao-Beijing-Kunming-Shanghai-Hongqiao last week. Never on time, all kinds of reasons for delay (from weather to technical problems), boarding always disorganized and took a long time, shuttle bus used pretty often instead of air-bridge caused lots inconvenience. Food and drinks poor quality. Cabin crew friendly, that's the only positive point.