Air Berlin Passenger Reviews and Air Berlin Customer Trip Reports

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Air Berlin Customer review :  4 August 2014 by Dilip Rajagopalan    (USA)

Air Berlin takes low cost to the max - we will never fly with them again. 3 of us flew from Heraklion to JFK via Dusseldorf on July 20th. After checking in online the previous evening, we arrived at Heraklion airport 2 hours early to drop off our bags. There was no separate bag drop line, and we were at the very back of the check in line. AB was trying to check in 350 passengers for 2 flights, using only 2 counters Each group would take 10-15 min to be checked in - a total nightmare. By the time we got to the counter, it was 10 min past departure time, the PA system was calling our names for boarding, and we hadn't even started the check-in process. By some miracle, we made it onto the plane, but our bags didn't. When we got to JFK, we filled out the lost bag paperwork, and headed home, thinking we'd get the bags in a day or two. We finally got 1 bag 5 days later, and the other two 8 days later.

Air Berlin Customer review :  3 August 2014 by J Kwiatkowski    (Poland)

Very comfortable leather seat. Quick boarding at TXL. They gave snacks and drinks during the flight from TXL to VCE. Very polite and friendly crew.

Air Berlin Customer review :  1 August 2014 by S Pisoncik    (USA)

Hard to rate Air Berlin as a whole, since we never got on the plane. Our complaint is about the people who work at the Air Berlin counter in Zurich, Switzerland. We arrived 40 min. before departure and were told that they couldn't check in our luggage because we were 20 min. late. We asked if they could send our luggage on the next flight, we were told no because it must go with us. Our dilemma was to lose our luggage or lose the flight. They were very uncooperative and unhelpful to 2 old travelers. One would expect more from the personnel at the counter, aren't they there to help us instead of causing more stress. We rushed to Swiss Air and they boarded us with 30 min. before departure, with our luggage. That's what you call a helpful personnel and a good airline!

Air Berlin Customer review :  30 July 2014 by A Holster    (USA)

Flew ORD-TXL-STR, STR-TXL-ORD. Was nervous after reading all of the comments here, but the flight was very good. The IFE was perfect, small TVs on the back of every seat in economy, with more than enough movies, TV shows, music, and games. Food was decent enough for the price, water was served periodically. 5 bathrooms: more than enough. Staff was pleasant enough. Only problem is that the 2 hour layover in Berlin Tegel was hell. Berlin-Tegel Airport is designed terribly, and was under construction when I flew, but that isn't Air Berlin's fault.

Air Berlin Customer review :  28 July 2014 by T Jones    (UK)

Flew business class from Berlin to Abu Dhabi. Outbound flight in the evening was good. Service was great. Flat beds great. Food was pretty poor though. I've tasted better 99p microwave made meals. Inbound flight - flat beds great. Service was awful. I echo comments made here about attendants wanting to get the job over and done with as quickly as possible. On top of that, the breakfast, was, without a doubt, the worst breakfast I have ever tasted. A McDonalds McMuffin is fine dining in comparison. So, good hard product. Mediocre soft product.

Air Berlin Customer review :  18 July 2014 by C O'Brien    (Australia)

We flew Economy with Air Berlin as it was the only carrier that offered a flight from Naples to Stockholm at a good price, and we were pleasantly surprised with the whole experience after reading quite a few negative comments in this forum. There was a 3 hour stopover at Berlin Tegel which wasn't great, but no issues whatsoever with Air Berlin. Both flights left on time, aircraft was newish and clean, service was pleasant despite a fully loaded plane, and they also threw in coffee and a sandwich. No inflight entertainment, but hey, on a 2 hour flight who needs it? We were very happy with what was delivered for the price (Italy to Sweden for just $200), and I wouldn't hesitate to use them again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  11 July 2014 by S Gregorn    (Slovenia)

Flying Air Berlin OLB-TXL. Plane in a good condition and clean. Cabin attendants however very unpleasant and seemed just to wait to finish the job. Sandwich with cheese of very bad quality. Hope not to be in situation to fly them again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Barker Milton    (USA)

6/08/14, AB7421, ORD-TXL. 6/24/14, AB 7420, TXL-ORD. I had the privilege of flying Air Berlin business class last week from Berlin to ORD. It was my first time with Air Berlin. The seating was the best I have had. The staff were friendly and efficient. On my return from Berlin-ORD I had the best airline meal I have had. It began with a Thai beef salad and I selected Beef Slices in water chestnut sauce for an entree. Both salad and entree had very tender beef. The cold meal was also very good. A recent review said the new business seats were narrow. At 300+ pounds, I found it to be fine. I'll definitely fly them again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  7 July 2014 by S Winterfeld    (USA)

After using United for many years on my trips from the US to Berlin, I was excited to try Air Berlin. The fare was more than UA, but I decided to try them. Mistake! The crew on my ORD to TXL flight seemed interested only in getting the service over with ASAP. The food was terrible and served ungraciously. The seats are hard and more cramped than on UA (I did not opt to pay extra for an XXL seat since I'm 5'2 and weigh 98lbs, I didn't think I needed it). On my return TXL to ORD, the fight experience a mechanical problem resulting in a 2 hr delay. The ground staff made an unintelligible announcement and then retreated behind a glass partition where no one could ask them anything. Again, on board service was without a single smile. Same terrible presentation and lacklustre service. I will not be using Air Berlin again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  7 July 2014 by M Howe    (Australia)

Dusseldorf to Madrid. Air Berlin is a very nice airline. They gave everyone a complementary sandwich and a drink. Entertainment was okay, just a little hard if you are a bit far from the dropdown screen. Staff very helpful.

Air Berlin Customer review :  21 June 2014 by M Manev    (Germany)

TXL-JFK and return. Can't understand what all the bad reviews are about. Both flights were on time, using an A330 with the cabin in a clean, good condition. Not a lot of space in economy, but I wouldn't say it was much worse than other European carriers. IFE is excellent, with a very good selection of Movies and TV series. Food was OK, but nothing to write about. Considering the low price and punctuality would definitely use them again. Only negative is Tegel airport which is simply not designed (or capable) of handling large aircraft - but that is not Air Berlin's fault.

Air Berlin Customer review :  21 June 2014 by L Buckley    (USA)

I flew the OSL-TXL route on an A320. The plane was packed but the staff still did a great job. They gave a Air Berlin - The Ryanair of the One World alliance, just plain poor. Having flown TXL-SOF return here is my experience. I am a top tier OneWorld member and fly all the time but AB are, by far, the worst member of OW. Their hub airport Berlin Tegel (TXL). Without doubt the worst hub airport in Europe easily surpassing chronically bad airports like LHR. It is a series of temporary buildings and metal huts connected by temporary walkways. Grossly overcrowded with massive deficiencies in service such as bathrooms, restaurants, seating areas etc. Those they do have are dirty. AB check in is often crowded and has long lines, security was OK. But wait I am a top tier member so I can use their lounge right? Yes sir it is past security. OK I have 2 hours to kill, I get to the lounge and there is no attendant, there is an automated card swipe machine to enter that only accepts AB status cards. Eventually a man appears, I explain I am an emerald member, sorry you can't get in, must have an AB card, no override or personnel available. Now for you USA fliers that have a US sized carry on, this gets a frown of disapproval from AB staff, I was asked to check mine. Except they lost it from SOF-TXL. Inflight service on this 2 hour cramped seat pitch was a drink and a "sweet or salty" snack. I am done with AB - I'll connect through Madrid, Helsinki or London thanks.

Air Berlin Customer review :  13 June 2014 by Pranav Sharma    (India)

I flew the OSL-TXL route on an A320. The plane was packed but the staff still did a great job. They gave a coloring book and stickers to my children. They enjoyed the flight. Water was served. The inflight magazine was in both German and English and had some good content. There was some turbulence coming into Berlin but the pilot handled it well and landed.

Air Berlin Customer review :  10 June 2014 by Agnes Williams    (USA)

Smooth sailing on all four legs: JFK to Berlin, Berlin to Gdansk, Warsaw to Berlin and Berlin back to NY. Flights were punctual, staff was very friendly and attentive, food was decent, price was right. Legroom a bit tighter than our recent flights on American and British Air. But overall, totally fine.

Air Berlin Customer review :  10 June 2014 by S Hawkins    (UK)

EY1996, AUH-HKT, June 4th. Absolutely appalling customer service from the very rude and miserable "flight attendants", cramped seats, awful food. We were given a (what they called) sandwich which was half the size of the palm of my hand and bottle of water, this constituted a 'meal', just woeful. The people who run this airline should be embarrassed to be associated with this below par sub standard outfit. Never again. If Ryan Air flew > long haul I'd rather go with them.

Air Berlin Customer review :  10 June 2014 by Eugene Rousseau    (USA)

My wife and I had reservations on Air Berlin, FCO-DUS/DUS-MUC, AB8841/AB6031. The DUS-MUC flight was cancelled, which in itself is not unusual. However, the manner in which their personnel dealt with this was not at all professional. There were no clear announcements or directions on what we had to do, nor on where to proceed to claim our luggage. Then, after we secured our luggage, there was the re-booking procedure. There was much time and frustration in this process, and did not leave us with a good feeling about Air Berlin.

Air Berlin Customer review :  3 June 2014 by L Warren    (USA)

Air Berlin was fine going from ORD to TXL. Good service, actually decent food. Booked an extra size seat. Beware of this. The seats that are by the window in the bulkhead do not have much space for your feet as there is a large boxed in area for the door when it is closed. Aisle seat is fine, but window seat not. TXL has to be one of the worst airports I have ever been to. Slow bus service from the plane to the terminal. 2 passport agents for 100's of citizens. On the way back, I could not find out where my flight was leaving from as I had made a connection and no one would help me. Poor signs. I had to exit the terminal, walk two other terminal down on the street and then re-check in for my international flight. I had 55 minutes between flights and kept asking when I booked was this enough time. I was told YES - plenty. I barely made it and was the last person on the plane. Ran the whole way to the gate. Flight back was not so good. A bit of a surly flight attendant. The guy in front of me kept putting his seat totally back and I could not eat my dinner or even get out of my seat! I am a small person - this was crazy. I asked him for some assistance, but even though he spoke English - he ignored me. Would I fly them again, probably not.

Air Berlin Customer review :  2 June 2014 by J Fraz    (Philippines)

Flew FRA-TXL-SZG. Excellent Airline. Food was good. Helps so much to have a few screens to look at during a flight. The staff were so kind. The funny thing I noticed was they advertise more for Etihad than they do for themselves. Would definitely fly them again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  26 May 2014 by Martin Hammer    (Germany)

Air Berlin business class from Los Angeles to Berlin in May 2014. The first thing I noticed about Air Berlin business class: It's cramped. Very cramped. Air Berlin tries to sell the head-high dividers between its business class seats as "even more privacy," "even more isolation," and so on, but in reality these are just flimsy plastic screens that fail to disguise the fact that Air Berlin has taken away about half the width of a "normal" business class seat and inserted another seat, which is recessed, so the other passenger's feet are sticking into your space. They manage to cleverly disguise this in their advertising by depicting only isolated seat units. In Air Berlin business class, the feet of the person in the recessed seat next to you are a few inches away, separated by a flimsy, shaky plastic screen, cutting into your space. The person in front of you is also recessed, with their head sticking into your space. Air Berlin's plastic seat divider is - inexplicably - cut low in the back, with the effect of exposing the top of your head if lower your back rest. If you recline and the person "behind you" (remember, they're only half-way recessed) doesn't, they're breathing on your scalp. If the person behind you coughs a lot - as happened to me - you're either coughed on the head a lot or you simply can't recline. This is exactly the kind of annoyance one pays to avoid in business class. In addition to significantly reduced width, the seats are very short. I'm 185cms (6'1"), and I could only "lie down" with my knees pulled up toward my chest. On my right, the armrest was about four inches thick. On my left, it was exactly the width of my index finger (not an exaggeration) and it was squeaky and wobbly (hard to believe but true). The in-flight entertainment is good, with a solid noise-cancelling headset provided. The 15" screen is decent, and operated via a remote with a mouse-like controller that works reasonably well, but which your mother will not learn to use in a 100 years. The entertainment selection is limited. There were a few new movies, but most of the selection was old stuff. There is a power outlet and a USB outlet. Storage is a problem. There is a compartment with cheap carpeting under the ottoman, a pouch for magazines, and rather small overhead compartments. Except for the medium-sized table, there are no surfaces. Every business class passenger has - a few inches from their face - a strange, UFO-looking contraption that turns out to be a combination of reading light and "night light." One can't help thinking this must be a case of designers gone insane. These units are unnecessary because there already is a reading light in the ceiling, and ugly and cheap-looking, producing the palest "night light" you could imagine. The food is pretty bad. Decent alcoholic beverages and snacks are available at any time. The flight attendants try pretty hard, but they can't make up for the failings and cheapness of the cabin. They're nice, but they'll throw you out of the kitchen immediately if you try to get up and stretch your legs a little. This shouldn't even be called "business class." It's more of a glorified economy class plus.

Air Berlin Customer review :  24 May 2014 by M Cowan    (UAE)

Phuket to Abu Dhabi. Most uncomfortable seat and with the smallest leg room I've ever experienced. Knees where wedged against the seat in front of me the entire flight and I'm only 5'11". They had to have the guy in front of me put his seat forward when serving the meals just to fit the food trays in. Entertainment and movie selection was laughable with nothing even remotely current. I know this is a low cost carrier but Ryanair is more comfortable that Air Berlin. Spend a few extra dirham and go with any other carrier than Air Berlin.

Air Berlin Customer review :  18 May 2014 by Robert Bumann    (Germany)

Flyer beware! I recently booked a flight through OneWorld Alliance-American Airlines. I received the confirmation email stating clearly a 2 baggage allowance. I arrived to the airport with an extra bag which I was prepared to pay for. The check in desk refused to acknowledge the baggage allowance in the confirmation email and preceded to charge my card for all the bags. The card was swiped several times as the agent said the charge would not go through. At this point I opted not to take the flight due to the excessive cost (550 Euro) and left with all my bags. I checked my account today only to discover that $412 USD has been taken from my account from AirBerlin. As I did not approve these charges, I do not have a receipt. I attempted to call AirBerlin but was not able to get a human being on the phone.

Air Berlin Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Khawla Amin    (Qatar)

Abu Dhabi to Phuket on an Etihad ticket. Air Berlin flies this sector on behalf of Etihad. A satisfying experience. The plane was only around 60% full so I had 2 seats to myself. The seats were a bit cramped, so it would be uncomfortable if the flight was full. Very nice and friendly crew who chatted and socialized with the passengers. Food was not bad at all, I was actually dreading German food due to my previous experiences with Lufthansa, but Air Berlin's food was obviously from Abu Dhabi airport and tasted good. Smooth flight, no complaints at all.

Air Berlin Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Michael Shipley    (UK)

Flew Air Berlin last night (26/04/14) from Phuket to Abu Dhabi. Extremely limited service, left my food and very uncomfortable flight. These are literally a low cost airline with a poor meal and a bottle of water thrown in. If Etihad endorse these then we'll revert back to Emirates.

Air Berlin Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Kai Matuschewski    (Germany)

TXL-MXP return. Pleasant and straightforward flight, on time. Clearly not the most exciting option, as it is a low budget carrier, but excellent value for money.

Air Berlin Customer review :  28 April 2014 by H Mutschler    (Germany)

Flew Cologne-Berlin/TXL return. Modern aircraft both flights with Boeing 737-700, one brand new with Dreamliner interior, very nice. Good service from flight crew, got 2 drinks and offered sweet or salty snack. Crew was nice and smiling. Pilot informed during flight and arrived on time in Berlin. Baggage was quick on belt. TXL is an old airport and that is not to blame Air Berlin for that. Return flight was nice as well, crew gave me a 3rd hot drink, that was a nice touch. Plane was not full and the service was nice and with a smile. Much better than Germanwings. I wish Air Berlin would fly CGN-HAM.

Air Berlin Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Roger Stone    (Australia)

Milan-Berlin-Antalya and return via Dusseldorf: a reasonably enjoyable experience although Berlin Tegel was possibly the worst 'airport experience' I can remember for a long time, especially as I had a 4 hour layover stuck in, what seemed like, a make-shift demountable building plus use of a few old steel chairs. Nevertheless, it was good that Air Berlin efficiently recognised my One World Emerald/Platinum Status so I had pre-allocated good seats and quick check-in with early 'pre-board' on every sector. I also pre-ordered their hot meals and bought myself some wine on-board so not a bad experience overall. The return flight back from Antalya was somewhat bizarre but enjoyable with only 10 out of 210 seats occupied, so it was essentially an empty aircraft - all other flights were full (and all on-time). Priority luggage does not appear to be recognised. All in all quite a pretty good experience and which reminded me, for the benefit of my fellow countrymen, very much like some of the better Jetstar flights and experiences in Australia.

Air Berlin Customer review :  18 April 2014 by R Birkelund    (Norway)

Oslo-Berlin (Tegel). Boeing 737-700, round trip. Same equipment. Check in was fast both ways. We checked in 1 bag. You can have 1 free (23kg) bag checked in. Pretty much left gate on time both ways. Seats were comfortable but jiggly. I got the seat of the passenger sitting in front of me in my lap during take off both ways. Air Berlin says on their website state they will give you a free non alcoholic drinks and a Ham/Cheese sandwich on flights over 90min. We got a choice of "sweet or salty". Note: If you choose "sweet" you will get a waffle bar. If you choose "salty" you will get a bag of chilli potato chips. Drink choices of coke products and juice/coffee. It would have been nice if they asked if you want a "waffle bar" or a "bag of potato chips", because I was confused. An overall average flight. Left on time and landed on time. Good value for money.

Air Berlin Customer review :  17 April 2014 by A Rodriguez    (USA)

Took this flight long haul from JFK to Poland. The seats were small and the leg room is very small. I usually travel this route through Aer Lingus which has a lot more space and more comfortable, but unfortunately they discontinued this route. The flight attendants for my flight was rude and not nice. They didn't smile and if you asked for anything it seemed like you were bothering them. The food was the worst. Would not use this airline again. The price was very good though.

Air Berlin Customer review :  4 April 2014 by J Kuntz    (Germany)

TXL-TFS 5 hours, flight was on time, friendly flight attendant but the free food was not good at all. There was the choice cheese or chicken sandwich. The food you have pay for was a little bit better but still not worse the money. The flight was not expensive so I would recommend this airline.

Air Berlin Customer review :  2 April 2014 by D Ellard    (Austria)

I fly Air Berlin every 2-3 weeks long haul from Europe to Miami doing the same flights all the time. One thing that stands out is that they are not consistent. The crew (under-staffed) do not work as a tight team and so the service is often all over the place. Being a TopBonus Gold member makes no difference at all, except for priority check-in, lounge access and pre-aboard. I always fly economy and choose to sit at the back, I usually miss a choice of meal, the seat next to me is rarely kept free and the regular collection of rubbish from your seat is very poor or non-existent. I often disembark with a seat pocket full of rubbish or I take it with me to the toilets during the flight. When pressing the call button they attend to your seat, turn the call button off and then a give quick glance to see if you actually wanted anything. Water is given to you in a bottle, there is no mid-flight juice/water service. When boarding they have 1-2 crew members greeting passengers while the rest stand in the galley, no effort to emerge and help people find seats, store luggage etc. I fly Etihad frequently and am shocked at the tie-up the two airlines have - complete opposites when it comes to service. I have a tomato allergy for which I can rarely get a special meal so when boarding I ask them to make sure they put aside a meal that does not contain tomato, this request is often met with no response or an attitude of that is a lot of work, of 14 in the last year only once did a crew member actually give me a crew meal. I now take my own food. Have tried several times to upgrade to business class with miles but never been able too. On a positive note the long- haul aircraft is modern, IFE is excellent and seat comfort is ok, and they are nearly always on-time. I have flown business class a few times and they are excellent - there is however only two business class cabin crew for 19-20 people so if full I imagine service would be different, when I have flown there is only a 10-12 people in business class.

Air Berlin Customer review :  28 March 2014 by Eelco van den Heuvel    (Netherlands)

DUS-TXL-MAD. AB cancelled the original DUS-MAD flight, which was quite a nuisance. So had to fly via Berlin which added 3 hrs, since they didn't offer to fly direct on their OW-partner Iberia. On the positive side: very punctual, flawless performance. Free drinks and a nice snack and only 80 euros one way. Seating in 737-800 to TXL cramped. Luckily an empty middle seat. Otherwise it would be hardly bearable.

Air Berlin Customer review :  27 March 2014 by Anthony Acosta    (USA)

This a totally no frills airline with seats so close together that there is no room for your knees, and if the person in front of you decides to recline your poor knees will pay a price. Getting in and out of seats is difficult and seats are very thin. Our flight was MIA-DUS and too long for comfort, this carrier is best suited for regional routes, not trans-Atlantic routes that become gruelling. I would rather pay 10% more to get additional leg space from a more traditional carrier. Crew was nice but had a reluctance to speak English even though they are serving an American market, I thought that was strange as they clearly could speak English. Food was normal airline fare with lunch and a light breakfast. We flew the A330, which was very nice and new. Our DUS- Berlin and Berlin-Rome flights were fine, both on A320's.

Air Berlin Customer review :  26 March 2014 by C Mayr    (Austria)

SZG-HAM-SZG on A320 both ways. Long time ago since I last flew with Air Berlin and it was a positive surprise. Both flights on time. Cabin was very clean and spotless, seats are nice and not cramped. We even got coffee and tea on this one hour flight. FA's very friendly. Overall a very good experience and I would fly Air Berlin again on European routes.

Air Berlin Customer review :  27 February 2014 by Edo Gerkema    (Netherlands)

After a long trip from Sydney-Abu Dhabi, and a stop time of 3 hours (+1/2 hour delay), the more than 7 hours flight to Dusseldorf started. After almost 2 hours flying finally the staff offered us a small sandwich (with beef or cheese) and one cup of coffee. Another 2 hours later we got a bottle of water. Doing nothing but trying to sit, compressed between my seat and the extreme tilted seat in front of me I really felt hungry. When I asked for another piece of bread I got one and the promise that there would be more served in 20 minutes. Indeed, we got food. While collecting the rubbish we were offered a drink, coffee? No only cold drinks. Before my experiences with Air Berlin were ok, but this last flight was really unpleasant.

Air Berlin Customer review :  18 February 2014 by Jay Ananth    (USA)

JFK to DUS. Great flight. 8 hour trip non stop, great entertainment and staff service was excellent.

Air Berlin Customer review :  7 February 2014 by M Malina    (Czech Republic)

DUS-AUH on December 24th, 2013. Air Berlin 7460, code-shared by Etihad. The seats don't offer much space, but I was very impressed by the personal entertainment system. It basically looked like a tablet - very sharp display, touch screen, fast response. I've haven't seen such a great system anywhere else yet (I only fly economy though). When somebody's unit stopped working, the flight attendant brought a replacement! The only drawback of this was the fact that it was a night time flight so I tried to get some sleep rather than spend the time watching movies.

Air Berlin Customer review :  28 January 2014 by B Baser    (Switzerland)

ZRH to TXL and back in mid-November 2013. As an OW Sapphire member, I was able to reserve a seat for free in advance, additionally, because I made the seat reservation only 3 days prior to departure, I was able to obtain an XL seat free of charge, which is something that Air Berlin normally does not offer its OW partner members. On the flight to TXL, the plane type was changed without advance notice, so I ended up with a normal seat, but on the way back I enjoyed the larger legroom. I must say that if you're taller than 6'2, the normal seats are at the limit of what one could call comfortable. Though there is no pain or pressure in any way. The fare cost less than 5$, the rest made up of various taxes and fees, and it ended up costing me around 120$. I like the fact that overall the service was good enough for this amount of low fare. Along with the good public transport connections in ZRH and TXL, door-to-door cost me 135$. Departure was on time in both cases. Staff was friendly in both cases, though there was nothing special about food and beverages being offered. No inflight entertainment at all, bring your own.

Air Berlin Customer review :  29 December 2013 by R Thomas    (UK)

STN-DUS-TXL. After I read lots of negative feedback about Air Berlin over here I was a bit terrified to use this airline. Actually my both flights were just fine and I can't say nothing bad. It's just 3 star airline, so expect 3 star service. Cabin crew not smiling that's true. I read that on intercontinental flights lots of tall pax struggle, I was just fine and picked an aisle seat as precaution. Seat comfort - just normal. Flights were departing little late but arriving on time. Check in luggage arrived with me into destination. The small plane this airline is using on route from London are extremely loud.

Air Berlin Customer review :  17 December 2013 by Laurie Kurilla    (USA)

My reservation was for LAX to Dusseldorf to Salzburg. After I made my reservations, I got 6 changes from Air Berlin. I paid for the XL seats (more leg room) from LAX to Dusseldorf. After all their changes, I am now traveling from LAX to JFK to Dusseldorf to Salzburg, and they gave me XL seats only from JFK to Dusseldorf and I now have a 12-hour layover in Dusseldorf. They have rude clerks on the phone. No one can make a decision without a manager, and managers only work 8-5 European time.

Air Berlin Customer review :  19 November 2013 by Carmel Monaghan    (Australia)

I flew to and from Abu Dhabi to Norway and return. I was very disappointed in both the seat comfort, quality of food and general service. The seats were narrow with poor leg room. In fact there was more leg room on the short flight from Oslo to Berlin than the long flight from Berlin to Abu Dhabi and they were hard and generally uncomfortable. The food on the way over was unrecognizable let alone edible with a business class passenger asking me what is was while we were awaiting customs clearance, so they obviously got the same thing. The return flight food was marginally better. The staff were friendly and polite, but did little to help a woman who had a 4 month old baby and a toddler, who had booked a seat with a crib and didn't get it. She was basically told 'bad luck' and they left her to ask 2 other passengers if she could swap seats with them to accommodate her sitting with her child in the crib which attached to the wall. The toilets were also in a revolting state by the time we arrived at both destinations because they were not cleaned at all. I will not use this airline again. I had expected better from an affiliate of Etihad airlines who are excellent.

Air Berlin Customer review :  18 November 2013 by S Song    (Romania)

I am only 5'3" tall, a frequent traveller and have never had any issues with legroom. Flew Budapest to Chicago round trip in economy class, and was shocked at how cramped it was. If the person in front of you reclines their seat at all, it is impossible to even move in your chair. The monitor was literally just a few inches from my face. I have never felt so claustrophobic on a flight before. Flight attendants do their job but with a bit of attitude. Also, I had one piece of extra luggage (not overweight) on the return flight and I was charged $200 USD. Their fees are written very clearly on a piece of paper when you arrive at the airport, but are very unclear and confusing on their website. Considering most airlines charge anywhere from $50-70 for an extra piece of luggage, $200 is beyond ridiculous.

Air Berlin Customer review :  15 November 2013 by T Donovan    (USA)

We paid extra for seats with leg room from Chicago to Berlin and on to Salzburg. We did get the leg room seats. However, it seems that Air Berlin seats are exceptionally narrow. I did not measure the seat, but my guess is that even an inch or two makes a great deal of difference. As we were taxiing in (both directions) the air conditioner condensation came dripping down onto my legs. On the way to Berlin this was a significant amount of water, less so on the way back. The flight attendants who were sitting facing us and just smiled and said "condensation". While on the plane, after I read for a while I attempted to turn off the overhead light. It would not go off. The flight attendant said that it had to be turned off by the computer which, for the life of me I could got get into place. After he helped, he could not get the computer to turn off the light. He switched computers and that still didn't work. We asked if we could change seats, but there were not leg room seats available. The flight attendants tried to be very helpful. Berlin Tegel is a grey stone cold airport. Cigarette butts all over the place. Even people who were cleaning just bumped into you with the mop without a word of "excuse me", like the whole row of waiting passengers was supposed to get out of our seats while she mopped. I would not recommend Air Berlin.

Air Berlin Customer review :  11 November 2013 by C Epure    (Germany)

For an almost 2 hours flight to Bucharest, from Berlin TXL, we we're served a 20g pack of potato chips which was described as snack. Every airBerlin flight the "snacks" become smaller and smaller, but this is too much. That bag of potato chips will cost anywhere less than 1 Euro and I think this becomes towards a customer humiliating. There are always the same unhappy stewardess-faces always looking like they can't wait to finish their shift and go home. Not to mention that at the airport, we were sent in an improved Terminal, with only two flights, very crowded and absolutely no duty free facilities. I am fed up with this airline and I have given up my topbonus card after one year of bad experiences with them. I hope I will never have to travel again with them. The only plus I can give, the flight was in time.

Air Berlin Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Linda Doering    (USA)

I will never fly Air Berlin again! Some of my flights were ok, but flying Dusseldorf to JFK business class was terrible. The seats seemed like they were from 1966 - very old and extremely uncomfortable. Fly this airline at your own risk.

Air Berlin Customer review :  24 October 2013 by Alexander Mokretsov    (Russia)

DME-DUS-VRA and back. Excellent airline, which offers very competitive prices, but also good service. The flights from Moscow and back were on time. The connections in Dusseldorf went smoothly. The transatlantic flights were great. I enjoyed excellent entertainment system, which provided wide selection of great movies and music. The food were very tasty and fresh. The staff were very efficient and polite. All in all a very pleasant experience. I would recommend not to economize though and pay some extra fee for the preferred seat selection, since the leg room is rather scarce.

Air Berlin Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Alex Hempel    (Australia)

Vienna to Rome in October 2013. Vienna has this amazing facility where, if you fly Air Berlin or Austrian, you can check your hold luggage in at the city train station up to a day before, and take the express train out to the airport. We made use of this facility, and despite being a bit doubtful, everything worked perfectly. Thanks to this, we had no waiting time at check-in or at the airport. Boarding was orderly and quick, even with only one person at the gate. Flight crew was friendly, the plane being a newish A320. Inflight snack was okay, nothing special but I've seen worse airplane food. On arrival in Rome, we had to wait over half an hour for our luggage, but that seems to be par for the course there. All in all, I'd fly them again.

Air Berlin Customer review :  23 October 2013 by Andrew Jones    (UK)

Travelled from Berlin to Chicago. I generally have low expectations of airlines today, especially when travelling with my national flag carrier, British Airways. I was pleasantly surprised by this flight. Yes, Economy Class seat pitch is just 30", but the scooped out seat backs help in that respect, so you gain a little knee room. The food was pretty good, that is to say I've had a great deal worse, and the crew were friendly and attentive at all times. I particularly liked the entertainment system which worked well and had large seatback screens. All in all, for an Economy Class flight of nearly nine hours, not a bad experience.

Air Berlin Customer review :  21 October 2013 by Daisuke Ito    (Germany)

FRA-TXL-FRA: Just 55min flight, but complementary snacks and soft drink in the afternoon flight and also complementary warm bread and soft drink in the early morning flight. Cabin attendants were friendly on both flights. Even landing on time at FRA, due to full spots, we had to wait on a taxiway for 10min. Outsourcing ground staff at TXL could not answer where the AB lounge was. "I don't know" with smile.

Air Berlin Customer review :  10 October 2013 by P Knap    (Germany)

Air Berlin domestic TXL-DUS-TXL, 737-800. Though almost fully booked on both ways, boarding was smoothly (maybe due to new boarding process). Crew - as always at Air Berlin - a bit of a mixed box: varying from friendly with a personal touch to absolutely indifferent. Seat quality and choice of snacks and beverages very good for a short hop. Arrival 5 min late both ways - so almost on time. All in all good domestic product and value for money.

Air Berlin Customer review :  10 October 2013 by Y Raltseva    (UK)

SKG-Dusseldorf-Stansted. Flight went very well. All on time. Polite staff and good "meal" on board. I would recommend.

Air Berlin Customer review :  7 October 2013 by Joerg Lehnert    (Germany)

Flight from CPH-TXL. As this is a short flight (around 60 minutes everything included) food and beverages are not a matter of survival. However Air Berlin was once renowned for its on board service even on short haul routes. No longer. There was absolutely no service at all on this flight. Neither was there any explanation. One flight attendant privately admitted that they did not have anything on board. Too bad as they were one such a great airline.

Air Berlin Customer review :  3 October 2013 by G Mayer    (Israel)

No Transit At Tegel airport and double security check at arrival and departure! One hour transit is not enough and we almost didn't make to the flight! From TLV to Tegel and from Tegel to Zurich. Our luggage didn't arrive and we had to wait 3 hours for the next Air Berlin flight to receive our luggage! Cheap but not worth it!

Air Berlin Customer review :  1 October 2013 by L Thornton    (USA)

DUS-JFK, Business class, flight 7450. Good service, good staff, good food, good wine and drinks, but the seat was horrible.

Air Berlin Customer review :  25 September 2013 by A Polczynski    (UK)

Worst experience with Air Berlin, was my first and will be my last. Flying from TXL to GDN and the flight was cancelled at the last minute, no extra information was given, and the boarding screen was just switched off so no one knew what was going on. Then we had to stand in a line for over 2 hours to be told that there were no flights for a few days after, which was unacceptable. Then it was the whole process of finding the luggage to collect and the staff were so rude and unhelpful.

Air Berlin Customer review :  25 September 2013 by M Walker    (UK)

Our flight from San Francisco to Dusseldorf was delayed 27 hours. We were promised a hotel for the night in the SF area. Instead Air Berlin provided us with no accommodation, no advice, no refreshments, no phone calls. We were misinformed by Air Berlin about the availability of hotels in SF and alternative flights across the Atlantic. In effect we were abandoned by Air Berlin. We therefore cancelled the flight and flew with another airline. We would not recommend Air Berlin.

Air Berlin Customer review :  14 September 2013 by Pei-Kuan Feng    (USA)

My flight was on 9/1. I took the 2 hour flight from Zurich to Dusseldof and then Dusseldof to JFK. There is no sign outside Zurich airport about Air Berlin, you have to discover that its Check In area is at 3. Check-in line was short and easy. The plane arrived at Dusseldof with no gate, so a bus took you to the door. Once you exited the door you enter Germany. You have no idea where you were. I found out I had to move from the arrivals area to the departures area. I had to go trough the security check and then get my passport stamped. The inflight service and food were excellent. There were two meals. Flight attendant provided non-stop service and distributed water bottles. The programs on the monitor were excellent and the screen has very good resolution. The flight map was not working.

Air Berlin Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Martin Alexander    (USA)

JFK-Berlin-Sofia-Stansted-Dusseldorf-JFK. Planes are new and clean but the space between seats is really small. I am 5'7" and found it to be tight, can't imagine how someone taller will feel. At one point, the person behind me asked me to move my backrest forward because it was too tight for them. Food is average to below average maybe at par with American's food on international trips but lesser quality than British Airways. Flight was on time, service was decent. I have a OneWorld Sapphire status, so I used the BA lounge in Berlin (TXL). The lounge was old and quite dirty, kind of like the airport itself. Selection of food was poor, drinks were ok. On return flight, I was not able to use a lounge at the Stansted airport - AirBerlin pointed me to a lounge but when I got there, the attendant told me that AB does not have a contract with them. Then there was a last minute gate change and I had to sprint to a new gate to catch my flight. Used AirBerlin lounge in Dusseldorf - minimal selection of food, ok on drinks. Flight from Dusseldorf to JFK was on time with 2 meal services, average quality of meals. I do not plan to fly AirBerlin in the future.

Air Berlin Customer review :  4 September 2013 by R Paterson    (USA)

JFK-TXL return in Economy. Overall quite satisfied with Air Berlin. Check-in at JFK quick and staff accommodating in helping find me a good aisle seat (I am rather tall). Gate staff and boarding were fine. AVOD fine although TV choices were a bit limited. Seats are comfortable, legroom should be more than adequate for someone under six feet. Cabin crew were polite, drinks service was punctual, liked the whole bottles of water handed out. Food was merely decent. Return flight same comments although TXL gates leave a lot to be desired. Overall I would recommend AB; despite their lower cost they are indeed better than most United States carriers when it comes to Economy long-haul.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

| Home| Airline Opinions | Legal Notice | Airline Ranking | Airport Ranking| Advertise | Surveys| Site Map| Contact Us | Links |