Alitalia Customer Reviews and Alitalia Passenger Trip Reports

Alitalia Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Chase Landreth (USA)

I flew Magnifica (Business) Class from Rome to JFK on March 15, 2014. The service and the food were excellent - one of the best in the industry. The planes were clean and new. The Alitalia Lounges at FCO, however, leave much to be desired. I go out of my way to fly Alitalia.

Alitalia Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Roy Proteek (USA)

Yesterday 06/04/2014, we came from Rome to JFK. In the last 15 days we have taken 5 different Alitalia flights. JFK-Rome, Rome-Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv-Rome, Rome-Milan, and finally Milan-JFK. At the time of booking we picked up our seats, but they were not honored at all. No leg room, no decent meal, no good service. For us this was our last flight with Alitalia.

Alitalia Customer review :  31 March 2014 by G Golob (Canada)

Flew from Toronto to Rome for March break on Alitalia. We were very pleased with our flight. Plenty of leg room, very professional service, good meals and snacks. I would recommend Alitalia to anyone.

Alitalia Customer review :  31 March 2014 by J Cataldo (USA)

Flew non-stop Boston to FCO on March 19 and returned on the 28th. Have to say overall they have improved since my last flight in 2011 and dramatically so in the last 10 years. My pet peeve however is the lack of safety enforcement on the plane on takeoff and landing. Unlike other airlines, not a single flight attendant came around to make sure seats were in the proper position (many were fully reclined) and several people were up and walking around, indeed, going into the overhead bins during or shortly after takeoff and landing on both flights! Very dangerous. Also, although I had requested a gluten free meal, I was served my gf meal with a wheat roll sitting in the coffee cup. Good thing I am every vigilant and did not assume that this was the best gluten free roll ever made! Also wish they would allow one to choose seat assignments at the time of booking like every other airline on the planet.

Alitalia Customer review :  19 March 2014 by S Kirschner (USA)

Vienna to Rome on March 12 and from Rome to New York on March 16. The best long distance and also short distance flights we've experienced. Great seats with lots of room, good food, and friendly, helpful crew. We had flown to Europe on Air France and had the worst flight in history! We were sceptical about our flights home as we had never flown with Alitalia. We had the best and most comfortable flights ever and we were even in Economy seats!

Alitalia Customer review :  19 March 2014 by M Mark (USA)

Business class from JFK to Tel Aviv, changing planes in Rome. I chose Alitalia because of the 1-2-1 across seating in business. Their arrival/departure times at all 3 airports were convenient. I used the business class lounges in all 3 airports: they were all relatively pleasant and much better than waiting at the gates. Complaints: Only on the first leg of the flight was there an English-language newspaper. While I have read some bad reviews of the lounge in Roma, I found it pleasant, if not outstanding. They did have decaf coffee, which is a big plus for me. The food selection was limited and unexciting, but I did expect better on board the flights themselves. Unfortunately, on the JFK-Rome legs, the food was truly awful and did not taste good. Perhaps the speciality meals would have been a better choice, but I did not know in advance how bad the business class meals would be. I wish I had wrapped up some of the finger sandwiches from the Rome lounge and taken them with me back to NYC.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Jeyes Philip (UK)

LIN-LHR (Milan-Linate - London-Heathrow). Short flight from Italy to the UK. Pleasant enough, nothing specifically remarkable but no real gripes either. I'd have no reservations about using the airline again.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Maria Yordanova (Bulgaria)

Travelled with my husband from Sofia, Bulgaria to Rome, Italy and back with business class tickets. Inbound flight operated by Bulgaria Air and the outbound by Alitalia. The service I received was not up to the standards applicable for business class. We went through the same security and border control lines as economy passengers, waited in the same area as economy passengers, boarded the same bus and we boarded at the exact same time as economy passengers. Received no better service from the flight attendants. The only difference I saw was that the food in the business class cabin was better. On the first flight we did not check bags and printed the boarding passes at home. On our way back we had to check in one bag. There was a desk with sign "sky priority", with just one person serving customers. After the second flight my bag was not the first one to arrive although it was the only one with priority tag. In both cases we had to be transported from the airport to the plane by a bus. That was a terrible experience for business class passengers. On our way back, we boarded the bus with priority, but this means that we were one of the last ones to board the plane, there was already no space for our handbags. Not entitled to lounge access either in Rome nor in Sofia. First flight was on time, but was 30 minutes early on arrival in Rome. The second flight was 30 minutes late departing. Inbound flight was on a Embraer E-190 aircraft where we had 2 seats on each side of the aisle. The seats in business class are not wider, do not have more leg room, do not recline better than those in economy - they are the exact same seats. Outbound flight was on a Embraer E-175 aircraft, which is essentially the same as the above with some "extra" - none of the first class seats has a window!

Alitalia Customer review :  21 February 2014 by A Crociani (Italy)

Rome-Fiumicino to Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion and return. Both flights of 3 hours with old Airbus A320, the cabin crew served a lunch on the outbound leg and a dinner at the return, you could also take more drinks in the galley in the rear part of the aircraft. On the FCO-TLV leg we took-off 15 min. late but we arrived on time, on the TLV-FCO route we took-off and landed on time. Nothing to complain, I will fly Alitalia again.

Alitalia Customer review :  21 February 2014 by J Atkins (Israel)

I flew Tel Aviv to Paris CDG via Rome in January and then Rome to TLV in February. Overall I'm pretty impressed by Alitalia. The gluten free meal served on the TLV-FCO leg is excellent and showcases simple Mediterranean cooking. Staff are always friendly and all my flights have been on time. Cabin crew did become rather short, however, in dealing with difficult passengers when there was no more space in the overhead lockers, despite announcing a strict 1 bag policy on boarding (not enforced, I think).

Alitalia Customer review :  11 February 2014 by O Benyehuda (USA)

Flew from JFK to Rome. A330 in excellent condition. Seats were super comfortable with lie flat. 1-2-1 config is great. Entertainment system was excellent with large screen and excellent selection. Food was ample, nicely presented. Excellent pasta. The cabin crew was very friendly and attentive. Overall impressed. Much better than my experience on Swiss or United or Lufthansa. On par with Delta's Business Elite.

Alitalia Customer review :  3 February 2014 by T Matava (USA)

IST-FCO-MIA, AZ630, 28 Jan, travel between Rome and Miami in Premium Economy. I have flown AZ long haul several times in both Business and Prem Eco and quite like the hard product. I particularly like the Business seat, it offers good privacy and nice comfort. On this trip in Prem Eco I found the seat somewhat uncomfortable. Well- padded, the recline however is awkward and does not have a good recline. What bugs me about AZ is the crew is always reactive to the passenger; never anticipating passenger needs. When asked however service is provided quickly and graciously. On this trip however, call lights went unanswered and crew was hard to find. AZ also seems to have an unwritten practice that employees, family members and friends traveling with a crew member can sit wherever they find a vacant seat - in any cabin they want. This becomes a distraction to the working crew as they focus more on their traveling companions and less on higher-fare paying passengers.

Alitalia Customer review :  31 January 2014 by Bastien Antoine (USA)

Flight 318, FCO (Rome) to CDG (Paris), January 26, 2014. Flight departed and arrived on time, seat somewhat uncomfortable, not much in the way of a complimentary snack or beverage (tiny bag of bread sticks, juice). The twin-engined Airbus was new and clean, the FAs courteous and competent. I'd fly Alitalia on a short trip again.

Alitalia Customer review :  28 January 2014 by D Wahid (USA)

We caught a connecting flight with Alitalia from Paris to Rome - a very old plane, and luckily it was a short flight. Then we flew Alitalia from Rome to NY, a very long 10 hr disappointing flight! The TV monitors didn't work and the staff didn't seem to care even after numerous complaints. The food was horrible! Some awful lasagne or chicken. After serving this, the staff disappeared for the remainder of the flight and passengers were asked to go to the back and help themselves. Then an hour before landing they served cheese sandwiches which were inedible. The seats not to mention, were so uncomfortable and I'm short and even I couldn't stretch my legs out. If the person in front reclined their seat, you were eating in your lap. I will never fly Alitalia again.