Alitalia Customer Reviews and Alitalia Passenger Trip Reports

Alitalia Customer review :  20 September 2014 by B Edelman (USA)

AZ0610. Flew Alitalia yesterday Rome to NY. Bathrooms so filthy, we tried to put off using them. Food was congealed. Saving grace was that plane was pretty much on time. Will search for another airline for our next Italian trip.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 September 2014 by Thomas Matava (USA)

AZ703, 2 Sep, IST-FCO, C Class, connecting onto AZ C class to JFK. This is my 4th USA-Istanbul business class trip on AZ this year - and my last. On checking in told the reserved, and multiple times confirmed, seats requested were not assigned to me. Agent has no idea why and cannot recover them. No greeting on boarding, C cabin is full. Immediately after take-off the flight attendant (term used politely) closes the forward curtain and sits down. After an hour of no service - and no one even walking into the cabin - I begin ringing the call button to ask for a coffee (flight departs 06.15 hrs). Rung at least 8 times, finally a coach attendant comes forward to ask why I am ringing the button so much. When I ask for a simple cup of coffee the forward attendant says everyone is asleep, why did I have to awaken them? When told I had been ringing for service she shrugs and says she never heard the bell. Throws half a cup at me, and says she has to now prepare for landing. Many of our complaints on here are petty but hopefully some airline execs read these comments. In this case, a lazy and rude flight attendant coupled with a begrudgingly served half cup of tepid coffee has cost AZ the potential for my returning and for AZ to get some pretty decent revenue.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A Scott (Italy)

I am a business traveler and I have seen the industry change over the years. I no longer expect outstanding service and all that goes with it. My expectations have been 'right-sized' over the years. But my last two flights on Alitalia will be my last two flights on Alitalia. Not only was the service awful, but the plane hadn't seen proper cleaning and service since the 90s. I flew the same aircraft 4 days apart, and the lav didn't work coming or going. I cannot understand how it is possible. I chose the flight ONLY because it was direct from Rome to Chicago, but I would prefer to spend the extra time changing planes somewhere just to avoid this awful airline. And as a side note, I returned on Saturday and today is Monday. I am still waiting for my luggage.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 September 2014 by S Layman (USA)

We'd never fly Alitalia again. We're thankful we landed safely on our return Toronto/Rome flights, but our traveling family of 6 were extremely uncomfortable on the flights. Despite paying top dollar for economy tickets and being assured we'd be seated together, we were all spread out. The three in the back didn't get food: they ran out by the time they got to the rear of the plane! The bathrooms were filthy / disgusting and didn't have paper. You could smell them throughout the flight. Some seats were held together by duct tape. Like to watch a movie during an 8 hour flight? Forget it on Alitalia, they have a few old drop-down screens so bring your own movie-watching device with lots of power (they don't offer plug-ins). If you want water or anything else during an 8 hour flight, you're unlikely to get it on Alitalia. We had no service for 7 of the 8 hours on our return flight. I'm a very frequent flyer and this was the worst quality and service ever encountered on an airline.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 September 2014 by A Crociani (Italy)

FCO-BUD-FCO both flights delayed, about 20 min. in Rome for heavy traffic, and this is not an Alitalia's fault, on the return from Budapest 30 min. for some "uncommon" luggage boarding procedures, but we ended up landing in Rome only 15 min. past the scheduled arrive. Cabin crew professional and polite. Will fly Alitalia again.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 September 2014 by S Delrio (Italy)

I've being flying Alitalia for the last few years back and forth between Milan Linate and Sardinia (Cagliari or Alghero). In four years (and 80+ flights), it occurred only once that my flight was 1-hour delayed. Planes used by Alitalia for my short route were usually Airbus A319/A320, with spacious seats and entertainment system (only radio). I never had problems with the luggage (1 hand-luggage and 1 32kg check-in bag is included in the price). Personnel was always nice to me. Some things can still be improved, but I think Alitalia is still the best that Italy can offer.

Alitalia Customer review :  27 August 2014 by K Luu (Australia)

Flew with Alitalia last month from Rome to Thessaloniki and then Thessaloniki to London via Rome. 1st flight, my husband and I were told that only one of us could get on the flight because they were 'overbooked'. On the way back, flight was delay 90mins, only to find out that our luggage was delayed and still in Rome. It has now been 14 days. I will refuse to fly with Alitalia. I would rather pay extra money to ensure these things don't happen.

Alitalia Customer review :  16 August 2014 by R Hagey (USA)

My husband and I were scheduled to leave July 31 aboard Flight 621, headed for Rome. Plane was set to take off at 4.30 pm. It was late, we taxied out on the runway and then stopped. It took the pilot 2 hours to tell us that we had mechanical difficulties. At 8 pm, we were told that the plane could not take off. We were herded off the plane, told to reclaim our luggage and told we would be put up at a hotel. Ushered to the sidewalk outside Bradley International Terminal to await a bus. For 90 minutes, we were shuttled back and forth from one side of the sidewalk to the other. The Alitalia representatives were useless. We finally got on a bus to a Marriott Hotel, we got there at 9.45 pm, only to be told that there was no room at the inn and we now had to go to another Marriot. At 11 pm we arrived at the next hotel. The bus picked us up the next morning for our reschedule 11 am flight, which of course was late. The plane was straightened out but the food sitting in their kitchen overnight was congealed. The crew were indifferent. We arrived in Rome at 8.15 am local time. Now, if you have a plane-load of people delayed by almost a day, many of whom have connecting flights, wouldn't you think the airline would have spent some time going through the passenger list to make sure they would be rebooked onto other flights? We got off the plane, only to find out that we had to reclaim our luggage once again. We were escorted to the ticket counter and left to fend for ourselves. It took us hours to book our connecting flight to Istanbul. As we made our way through the airport which, by the way, has no people movers or luggage carts we kept running into fellow passengers. Absolutely no help from Alitalia. We boarded a bus that would take us to our plane, it was easily in the 90s outside and the bus had the heat blasting. No one from Alitalia noticed. Our flight was delayed. Of course.

Alitalia Customer review :  16 August 2014 by R Khsib (Canada)

JFK-FCO / FCO-TUN. TUN-FCO / FCO-YYZ. Delays of around 1.5 hrs deemed normal (had to run to catch the next flight). Crew rude to a point you think twice to ask them. Assigned separate seats so had to travel away from my wife. Fellow passengers had to do musical chairs to seat families together. Lost luggage on the two legs of the flights and no updates yet. Airplane dirty, no entertainment. Catering is so dismal so we were hungry and with delays left hungry for about 24 hours. Bottom line avoid Alitalia, pay extra, pick extra layover but avoid it.

Alitalia Customer review :  12 August 2014 by G Vecchi (Italy)

In the last month I flew two round-trip MXP-JFK-YQB with Alitalia (MXP-JFK) and Delta (JFK-YQB). All AZ flights on time, new A330 in good conditions, crews sometimes excellent and sometimes not so friendly. Food in economy class is not a pleasure, IFE good as usual on A330. I think that AZ offers a good service on this route at reasonable price.

Alitalia Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Morrisoni Paula (USA)

Had not flown Alitalia in years and was curious whether they had improved anything. JFK to Rome. I was not able to get a pre-assigned seat on the old and clunky web site. At the gate a bitchy attendant didn't let me on with my carry-on and forced me to check-in my business trolley. Plane was not full and there was plenty of room on overhead storage. Flight attendants quite unresponsive to extra drink/coffee requests. Seemed bothered by passengers asking more than bare minimum. In Rome waited well over an hour to get my luggage.

Alitalia Customer review :  12 August 2014 by Edwin Moore (USA)

Traveled this month on Alitalia Magnifica Class from Los Angeles to Rome. Flat bed seats were reasonably comfortable and due to cabin angle felt a bit more spacious, but wear and tear was obvious and unappealing. Inflight entertainment system was not touch screen and was out dated, not intuitive with poor picture quality. Bathrooms and overall cabin were out dated and need to be upgraded. Food was actually very good but service was unremarkable.

Alitalia Customer review :  3 August 2014 by Tony Laverghetta (Canada)

YYZ-FCO on J class. A332, old and tired aircraft with old Biz class seats configuration. No lie flat bed however I managed to get 5+ hrs of sleep. IFE just okay, very low quality old removable screens provided by cabin crew. Flight attendants were great, all smiles and attentive throughout the flight. Dinner was served in style, it was one of the best meals I have ever experienced in an airplane, many food selections, plenty of drinks, desserts, fruits, in the morning the breakfast was very good as well. It was just bad lack to have flown the old 332, as the newer aircraft's have got such a better configuration and much more comfortable seats. Overall a good experience again.

Alitalia Customer review :  3 August 2014 by D Olteanu (Hong Kong)

For 10 years I avoided Alitalia but then visiting Italy for holidays I thought we may give it another try. So travelled from Florence to Bucharest via Rome on 31 July 2014. It is a 1.5hr flight that was delayed by about 30-45 minutes but there was no acknowledgement or announcement of the delay. Transiting through Rome itself is a case study in how not to organise an airport for transit and boarding the flight was a nightmare. No priority for families or business, no possibility to upgrade to business with miles from the alliance, even though the business class was completely empty (meaning not one seat was taken). On the flight itself food was very poor and the cabin staff just disappeared. There were no sick bags in the seats and the staff did not answer the call button at all - too busy chatting in the empty business class - and then spent 10 minutes looking for sick bags. Also, no announcement for landing, or beginning of landing. In fact no pilot communication whatsoever after taking off. And as we got to our destination in Bucharest our checked in bag was lost and apparently many other people on the flight who transited via Rome had the same problem so long queue at the Claim section. Not willing to waste my time and money on this airline again.

Alitalia Customer review :  1 August 2014 by Dimitrios Zaxhos (Greece)

I flew with my wife from Thessaloniki to Rome and back. Both flights were delayed. Plane could be cleaner. As it is an international flight almost 2 hours, the only thing you get is a drink and a small bag of biscuits. The coffee is awful. The staff could be more polite. The worst impression was on the return flight. We had only one suitcase which weighed 25 kg. Staff told us that we had to take 2 kg out, because only 23kg was allowed. When we told her that we were 2 people but had only one suitcase, much less than allowed (23x2 = 46kg), she insisted that we should take 2 kg out of the suitcase. So we had to open our suitcase at the airport. We will never choose this airline again.

Alitalia Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Andrew Shrugs Hall (UK)

Alitalia check in at Heathrow were superb, but after that the whole experience was the worst we've ever experienced on a long haul flight. Staff in Rome airport were rude during our delayed connecting flight, and when we eventually got onto the plane to Buenos Aires, we all sat waiting in our seats for over an hour for the flight to commence, no refreshments, boiling hot and no explanation to what the delay was. Staff were indifferent to the passengers requests, that's when they could be bothered to work. Finally, the inflight entertainment to help us forget this nightmare was a disaster in as much the screen would randomly switch off during movies. Avoid at all costs until Etihad take over.

Alitalia Customer review :  30 July 2014 by Marty Turner (USA)

7/7/2014, ORD-FCO, AZ0629. 17/7/2014, FCO-ORD, AZ6028. I would never recommend flying Alitalia! Plane was very old. Plane was very dirty, food all over floor when we boarded. Only 3 out of 6 restrooms were in working order and those were filthy. Not cheap tickets so I expect much more. Heard lots of complaints from the passengers so we weren't the only ones who were very disappointed.

Alitalia Customer review :  23 July 2014 by S Farrello (USA)

Boston-Rome, July 2014. Don't book extra comfort seats (this is not economy plus). The seats that are near the exit on the window sides are looking right into the bathroom. Food was bad but movies and drinks were fine.

Alitalia Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Carmen Russo (Australia)

AZ1426m 8 Julym TRN-FCO. AZ1733, 8 July, FCO-CTA. AP862 (AirOne), 13 July, CTA-TRN. Excellent service! Passengers were welcomed on board with smiles by all staff. The seat was quite comfortable. A snack was provided which was ok - reasonable given the relatively low cost fare. This service was also provided with a smile. I was very pleased with Alitalia. The check-in staff also goes beyond the call of duty. Highly recommended.

Alitalia Customer review :  13 July 2014 by L Walker (USA)

Milan to JFK/New York. The smoothest flight in recent memory (and I am a frequent traveler). There was no turbulence and a perfect landing. Inflight entertainment had a nice assortment of movies and games. There has been much said online about airport staff and flight staff for this airline not being ideal. As for airport staff, not sure if their demeanour is 100% their fault. Check in was not clearly explained in Milan. There was a line for "baggage drop of" and "economy check in" as well as kiosks. This makes for grumpy passengers. As for flight attendants, the ones on my flight were businesslike and polite. They were not rude or happy. It was fine with me.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Michael Bragg (USA)

It pains me not to give Alitalia a high mark. Their inflight experience in Business Class is impressive. But it's everything leading up to the flight that is a disaster. Their website is outdated and nearly impossible to use. Their call center is a joke, with incompetent agents who read off a script. And Alitalia will change flight times on a whim and penalize the traveler financially. In our experience, after paying over $8,000 for a ticket, they charged an additional $850 for change fee and $1,500 for fare difference when I asked for an earlier flight, after they changed flight times from the original booking and shortened my connection time in Rome. They also changed my booking from Business to Economy and I had to make innumerable calls to their idiotic call center to try and resolve it. Once in the air, the service was lovely from a friendly, sharp-looking crew. The food is a showcase of the best of Italy with delicious pastas and breads, served course-by-course. I don't drink, but the wine list was extensive. They provide a high-end Ferragamo amenity kit. And the seats are lie-flat and great for a long sleep. The only drawback from the inflight experience is a poor IFE system with limited options and a dirty Business Class bathroom. If Alitalia can get their act together on the ground, they can become a well-rounded and competitive airline. But until then, despite a great inflight product, I will avoid them.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 July 2014 by T Matava (USA)

AZ703, IST-FCO connecting onto AZ 630, FCO-MIA, Business Class/29 June. On boarding in IST the forward attendant was busy in the galley on her cellphone, with no greeting or attention to the boarding. Her service was minimal, and after the light breakfast she brought a pass-riding co-worker to the jumpseat and closed the curtain, where she remained for the rest of the 2 hour flight. FCO-MIA was the exact opposite. The purser (and the entire Magnifica Class crew) was/were attentive, cordial, available, willing to help, and grateful for passengers choosing AZ. On approaching MIA the purser came to my seat, acknowledged my frequent flyer status (DL) and offered enrolment into the AZ program. I really like AZ when a crew is good; the problem is the inconsistency of AZ crews! They also tend, it seems, to focus more on co-workers than revenue passengers.

Alitalia Customer review :  7 July 2014 by B Cook (New Zealand)

Flew from Rome to Tokyo. We were told that we could not sit together due to the plane having only 4 seats left (wrong). We were told we could sit together if we paid 85 Euros for a "Comfort Seat" so we paid it. We sat together ok, but the seat was just a standard seat and an uncomfortable one at that. I was told all sorts of lies by the cabin staff who tried to get my receipt off me presumably so I had no proof I had been ripped off. We will never fly again with Alitalia!

Alitalia Customer review :  1 July 2014 by S Kesavan (UK)

Flew from Rome to Lamezia Terme and back. A modern airbus. The interior was immaculate. The staff were very smart in appearance. They were courteous and attentive. The flight was only one hour but we were served a red orange or peach juice and snacks. All were good. The flight itself was smooth and the announcements clear and helpful, including from the captain. Alitalia is a good airline and I would not hesitate to fly with the airline again. There's an air of sophistication and smartness that you rarely find with other airlines.

Alitalia Customer review :  1 July 2014 by D Cerulli (Italy)

Rome to Nice and return. We took off 10 mins early and landed on time, the flight was quite full and operated by an airbus A319. The flight attendants treated us very kindly offering snacks and drinks. The return was the same pleasant. We have nothing to complain, will fly them again.

Alitalia Customer review :  26 June 2014 by N Yanaky (Canada)

My parents and I were returning from a lovely vacation in Italy to Toronto on June 1st, 2014, when we discovered our flight AZ650 from Rome was delayed over 3 hours. We were not offered any advice, or meals and only found out from talking with other passengers that we could get a meal provided to us for our long wait. We were not allowed to choose the food we felt like, but were limited to very limited selection of very bland, overcooked pasta. When we finally got on the plane, we were shocked at its condition and that it felt very uncomfortable. The upholstery was all worn, the seats were cramped and my mothers seat even had her arm rest duct taped! When the television screens came down (unfortunately not on the backs of seats) our screen was flickering and full of static, so we could not see the safety video at all. When the movies came on, we discovered that both my mothers seat and my seat did not have working sound systems, so we could not hear any movies. The screen continued to flicker so much, that not only could we not hear the movie, but we could even see the movie. A flight attendant came and folded the screen back up and said it was not working. For 10 hours, my parents and I were crammed in a middle seat row, with no sound, or movies to watch. This was unacceptable. Our row of seats was in the middle (unfortunately) and had bathroom doors at either side, so we continually heard the slamming of doors. The food was awful, so surprising from an Italian airline. Our seats were also the most cramped I have experienced, and I am a small person. It was a disappointing end to our vacation.

Alitalia Customer review :  21 June 2014 by Giovanni Rossi (USA)

Linate - Trieste, LIN-TRS. Now this flight is handled by Air Mistral, basically the Italian Post Office airline that during the day carries passengers and switches to mail cargo in the night hours. Not kidding. And you pay full fare. The plane is a ATR 72, if you get it in the morning still smells from the night activity. Seats incredibly uncomfortable and small, no hand luggage allowed unless very small, and therefore you have to wait your trolley back beside the plane (even under the rain). Horrible, unacceptable, below any civilized standards.

Alitalia Customer review :  21 June 2014 by C Awad (Israel)

June 15, ORD-FCO was scheduled to take off at 8.40 pm. At around 8.30, it was announced flight was delayed, then announced that it was mechanical issues. At around 11pm, people were told to go pick up their luggage (which was never loaded onto plane) and those passengers who lived in Chicago were told to go home, the rest of us were told to go to Alitalia check in where we would be given a hotel room for the night. The process of getting a room and getting to the hotel took 2 hours. People in wheelchairs and families with small kids were standing waiting for shuttle buses to their hotels. We were told to return to airport at 10am next day to check in for a flight to depart at 2pm. One look at the line told me that 2pm was fantasy, it actually took off around 4pm. We stood in line for 4 hours to get seats sorted. The plane we flew on was old, grubby, no entertainment, and terrible food. During the 4 hours waiting on Monday, passengers were given no information from Alitalia, no refreshments were offered, no consideration given to those traveling with babies or elderly.

Alitalia Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S Parry (UK)

LHR-FCO-TLV-FCO-LCY - This airline is worse than any European Budget Airline. 3 out of 4 of the flights were delayed and no one seemed to care. If you are above 175cm doing not fly with this airline otherwise your knees will be pressed against the seat in front of you. Make sure you have a meal before you get on the flight as the food is limited to a very small packet of dried snacks. All of the aircraft's are very old and do not have any screens showing you the flight information. Also do not transfer at FCO unless you have more than 3 hours between flights as the additional security checks are chaotic. Terrible experience.

Alitalia Customer review :  18 June 2014 by J Rodder (UK)

London City to Rome and back to London Heathrow. We got to and from Italy safely, the crews were friendly but don't expect anything other than a tiny packet of breadsticks and a juice, water, coke or wine on the flights. Rome airport is the worst I have experienced as it is disorganised and crowded. All in all, nothing special but they got us to our destination relatively comfortably.

Alitalia Customer review :  18 June 2014 by J Hale (USA)

My wife and I booked this as a Delta flight but had to completely recheck in when changing planes in Chicago. They re-assigned our confirmed seats in row 18 to separate middle seats in rows 36 and 48 in the back of the airplane. We were told that Delta confirmed seats meant nothing. After much fuss we were finally given seats together in the middle section of row 48 (next to last row). My seat had no cushioning at all, it was like sitting on the metal frame. The people in front of us promptly shoved their seats all the way back into our faces for the whole trip. But worse was the urine smell in our area which was apparently from a window seat in the row ahead of us, all they did was spray the seats and areas with a lemon scent which quickly dissipated. This airline is now at the bottom of my list as the worst international carrier I have ever flown and will never fly again.

Alitalia Customer review :  17 June 2014 by Gomes Jorge (United Arab Emirates)

Abu Dhabi to Malaga on 13th/June. I was shocked with their onboard service. The first flight was 6.5 hours from Abu Dhabi to Rome. They only served a single drink and breakfast. In fact they should have also served a meal. The second flight from Rome to Malaga. The flight is 2.45 hours. I was shocked. they only served a drink and a packet of Pretzels. We were all waiting for a meal. Nothing came. Alitalia is worse than a budget airline. Never again.

Alitalia Customer review :  13 June 2014 by C Luca (Italy)

FCO-GRU-FCO, 15/2 - 8/3. This was second time I took this flight. Very cheap, and comfortable no delays. Good food and crew. Nothing to complain about. These flights especially to GRU or GIG (Rio) are always full.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 June 2014 by Shahrul Anizan (Malaysia)

Flight was from Amsterdam to Rio de Janeiro with a transit in Rome. Before that I have a connection by KLM. There are several transfer counters in Rome airport but all pointing me to the other for the boarding pass. I thought any transfer counter can issue the boarding pass? When I purchased the ticket back in November 2013, I personally called the Italian call centre to request my special meal on board. I did this on all other legs of my trip on other airlines. However during the flight, my special meal was not available and not booked. The cabin crew did not even try to solve the problem. On my other legs on other airlines I did get my requests. This shows that Alitalia is terrible with customer service and also inflight services.

Alitalia Customer review :  9 June 2014 by K Wilding (USA)

Just landed at FCO from LAX. Worst long haul flight I've ever had. Upgrade to premium economy. Promised great seats and better food by the agent. $3.200 round trip ticket a total waste of money for 5 of us. Told 120 degree reclining seat - just read the fine print 'up to 120 degree' reclining seat was closer to 90 degrees! Five of us had seats together then reassigned at check in. Terrible in flight movie selection. Trash all over the plane. So disappointed and now have to fly home in 2 weeks. Nothing good about the flight.

Alitalia Customer review :  5 June 2014 by U Bell (Canada)

Flew from Toronto-Rome-Tel Aviv on May 3 and returned on June 3. I was flabbergasted that Alitalia uses such old planes. There was no in-flight entertainment system on the transatlantic flight (both ways). From the comments on here and speaking with American friends who fly the airline often, it doesn't seem to be case with U.S. routes (they use newer planes), so Canadian customers be aware that you will get shafted. I echo the sentiment on here: why bother and offer headphones for such clunky equipment? I will say that the flights left on time and arrived on time (minimal delays) and my luggage was waiting for me, which is always a nice feeling. The food was just adequate. From Toronto-Rome, they served for breakfast a puny Danish and Oreo cookies. My luggage was 3-5 lbs overweight and they said nothing so I appreciated that. Service was fine and flight attendants were pleasant enough but I think in this day and age, not having an in-flight entertainment system for 8-9 hour flight is just unacceptable, especially when pretty much every major European airline offers it. I will only fly Alitalia again if they have an amazing sale. Otherwise, there are better options out there.

Alitalia Customer review :  5 June 2014 by T Alevizos (USA)

ORD-FCO-IST in Economy on May 22-23, 2014. The plane from Chicago to Rome -- an airbus A320-200 - smelt, the upholstery was stained, seats were not equipped with individual screens. And then there were the Alitalia flight attendants - a dour group that couldn't be bothered to smile and were practically taken aback by requests for things like water. I will never again complain about my usual carrier, Delta.

Alitalia Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Frank Parisi (USA)

On May 12 2014 our flight from ORD to FCO was cancelled for weather related reasons. After 7 hours in the terminal we were told to go to a hotel or go home and come back for a 13.00 departure on May 13. We were told by the gate crew we would be reimbursed for cab fare or hotel fare and then had to go down and wait for our bags and then go through the whole check-in procedure the next day. Alitalia denied our request for reimbursement. While I understand weather is unavoidable, I can't accept being lied to and shabby treatment. I think Alitalia could have handled this better especially since we had a 9.5 hour flight ahead of us with very little sleep. To add insult to injury, there was a ground delay at ORD the next day which kept us on the tarmac for 2.5 hours after leaving the gate. By the way, the seats were extremely uncomfortable.

Alitalia Customer review :  2 June 2014 by K Barr (USA)

This was my first flight with an international carrier and I was unimpressed, to say the least. I flew round trip from New York to Rome in economy class. The cabin was extremely cramped and the plane was old. On the way to Rome, I was assigned a different seat from the one I originally chose when I booked months in advance. I am a small person, but there was still very little leg room. My return trip from Rome was worse. Check-in took forever and the airport staff was rude. Upon checking in, the agent at the counter told me he couldn't give me a seat assignment "at this time" and I would have to get my seat assignment at the gate, that is, unless I wanted to pay an additional 70 euro for a "comfort seat" on an exit row. Again, I had already selected a seat months in advance. The food and cabin service were adequate and both flights were on-time. Other than that, it was an unpleasant experience. I will choose a different carrier in the future.

Alitalia Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Alan Thompson (UK)

London to Bari return via Linate. Perfect trip. Pleasant ground and cabin staff, all flights arrived ahead of schedule, all planes, A320s clean and smart. Luggage arrived without problems if slightly slow as is usual at Heathrow.

Alitalia Customer review :  30 May 2014 by C Dappiaggi (Italy)

Milan - Vienna and return. Both flights departed and arrived 20 minutes ahead of schedule, planes looked new, well maintained and clean. Cabin crew was caring and charming, even if the flight to Vienna was full. The ticket was really cheap, though I bought it two months prior of departure. Almost unbelievably the luggage in Milan Linate was delivered only 10 minutes after landing. If this turns out to be the new standard of Alitalia, they will become my first choice.

Alitalia Customer review :  27 May 2014 by G Gargano (USA)

JFK to Milan return in April 2014. Plane was new, seat comfortable, and entertainment system was varied, included movies, TV shows, music, games. Kept my nine year old entertained for the entire flight each way. Cabin crew was very attentive, and came around often. The only minor complaint I have is the food was mediocre, but all in all it was an enjoyable flight.

Alitalia Customer review :  27 May 2014 by Maurice Carlier (Canada)

Budget price and you get what you pay for. Toronto-Rome return, 20+ year old A330, 15 inch ceiling mounted TVs that do not work - neither does the audio system. I don't understand why they bother to provide headphones! Decent leg room but seats that recline in your face so it is hard to use a laptop on the seatback table - needless to say there are no power outlets WiFi etc. Food & beverages were okay and promptly served - thereafter the cabin crew were nowhere to be seen for the duration of the 10 hour flight. Water etc was self service from the galley. Despite a 45 minute delay on departure the flight arrived on time. Before flying Alitalia long haul, find out what plane they are using on that route. They advertise their new fleet but, be warned, they are still flying ancient and well worn aircraft on transatlantic routes and the cabin service is risible.

Alitalia Customer review :  26 May 2014 by C Granzarolo (Italy)

Rome to Tel Aviv return. Both flights on time, planes well maintained and clean. Cabin crew was perfect, even if the flights were full (especially on the way back) they managed the situation perfectly, helping passengers to locate their hand luggage in the overhead lockers, providing food service quickly. After they served the main course, walking around the cabin asking if we need anything else. The only fault I noticed is the chaotic boarding process.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 May 2014 by M Kropf (Canada)

We flew Toronto to Rome and returned Rome to Toronto in May 2014. The service was just fine, attendants were very helpful and polite. Food was better than we thought it would be. We would fly with them again.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 May 2014 by Rita Mix (USA)

Flew Alitalia on 5/13/14 from Chicago to Rome to Tel Aviv, then back on 5/21/14 from Tel Aviv to Rome to JFK. I had low expectations due to some reviews, but I would definitely fly them again. Prefer the 777 that we came back on over the Airbus 330 that we went over on but both were comfortable even in coach. Food and drink service were great. Weather thwarted the flight out of Chicago the evening of 5/12 necessitating an overnight stay and Alitalia provided food vouchers while we tried to out-wait the weather, and then claim forms for the overnight stay in a hotel and taxi expenses. All agents and flight attendants were gracious and helpful.

Alitalia Customer review :  18 May 2014 by D Day (USA)

I recently flew Alitalia return BOS-FCO, then back. Our flights went without a hitch. On time, and great service. Some people complain about the crew disappearing. I did not find that to be the case. It was an overnight flight, so we had lights off during take off, and then when we got to what I would guess is cruising altitude, they served wine and dinner. It is airplane food, not great, but I don't care about the food on a plane. I was awake for the entire flight. Unfortunately my seat did not recline, and the one in front me was broken in the down position. So that was not great. But all through the flight the attendants passed out cold water, and asked the people awake if they needed anything. Not everyone speaks English, not a big deal. They did not lose any of our luggage. Flight home was the same but no broken seat! Five us flew together and they honored all our assigned seats.

Alitalia Customer review :  12 May 2014 by Juanita A Waters (USA)

Trip Scheduled from Hartsfield Atlanta on Delta 1873 to Miami, FL with connecting flight on Alitalia 631 or 6371. Flight delayed in Atlanta because of bad weather in Miami on Saturday, May 3, 2014 in Miami for one hour. Could not print boarding passes in ATL for the connection flight. Arrived at gate late in Miami and through no fault of the passengers that were travelling together our seats were given away and we had to take the extreme last two seats in the plane. The people that were occupying the seats that we paid for should have been moved since they were obviously last minute booking when we arrived at the gate and not us. It was a very horrible flight even after making the gate in spite of the bad weather.

Alitalia Customer review :  6 May 2014 by Balboni Francesco (Italy)

Flight from Tokyo to Milan (MXP), May 4th 2014. 3 hours delay, no compensation at all about lost trains and connections, except about 7 euro for lunch at airport. With that delay, we lost two trains (already paid) and I had to rent a car for the trip from Malpensa Airport to the city where I live (about 300 km).

Alitalia Customer review :  30 April 2014 by Harry Finnegan (USA)

Recently flew Alitalia return BOS-FCO. Very impressed by the service, comfort of seats and in-flight entertainment. FAs very attentive and friendly. Concerned after reading prior reviews, but was very pleasantly surprised. Would definitely recommend this airline.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 April 2014 by B Miklas (USA)

April 2014, Naples to Rome (NAP-FCO). Rome to New York (FCO-JFK). Baggage check in seemed as if it would be easy at Naples which is a smaller airport. I was checking in 2 bags for work equipment. The baggage agent generated my boarding pass and baggage ticket, stickered my luggage, took it and told me I had to go to another counter to pay for the extra baggage. Then I had to go back to the original baggage check-in counter for my already printed boarding passes and baggage claim ticket stubs. Security was routine and a short line at 10am on a weekday. There were no power outlets at all in the gate area or just above it near the more comfortable couches. The first flight was routine. Economy row 8C. I think it was a 737. Upon arriving in Rome we deplaned and took the bus to terminal. I had to change terminals, which according to the sign would be a 12 minute walk to Terminal G. What the sign did not say was after 2 minutes would be a passport control line which was 5 minutes. After that was the walk and a train shuttle ride to Terminal G for flight to NYC. The boarding was the cattle call I had read about. The plane was a 777-200ER. Ticket = Class Y/Economy. Seat row 27D center section of 4 seats. My concerns were warranted: No USB power jacks at the seats. Once on the plane and stowing my personal items the plane grew uncomfortably hot as we were on it for over an hour without proper air conditioning. We left 30 minutes late. An hour after takeoff the drink cart came through. 80 minutes into flight I received my vegetarian special diet meal for lunch which was vegetable Jalfrezi, a cold lentil salad, a tiny fruit salad, and a breadroll. All adequate. After meal service at 2 hours after takeoff the fasten seat belt sign was finally turned off even though no bad weather. After meal service and coffee offering the FA's mostly disappeared to the back of the plane behind the curtain. FA's were professional and pleasant. I did not use the IFE at all. Self-service Water, soda, and breadstick snacks were available in galley area. Yes as others mentioned the IFE restricts legroom in many seats.

Alitalia Customer review :  20 April 2014 by Chase Landreth (USA)

I flew Magnifica (Business) Class from Rome to JFK on March 15, 2014. The service and the food were excellent - one of the best in the industry. The planes were clean and new. The Alitalia Lounges at FCO, however, leave much to be desired. I go out of my way to fly Alitalia.

Alitalia Customer review :  8 April 2014 by Roy Proteek (USA)

Yesterday 06/04/2014, we came from Rome to JFK. In the last 15 days we have taken 5 different Alitalia flights. JFK-Rome, Rome-Tel Aviv, Tel Aviv-Rome, Rome-Milan, and finally Milan-JFK. At the time of booking we picked up our seats, but they were not honored at all. No leg room, no decent meal, no good service. For us this was our last flight with Alitalia.

Alitalia Customer review :  31 March 2014 by G Golob (Canada)

Flew from Toronto to Rome for March break on Alitalia. We were very pleased with our flight. Plenty of leg room, very professional service, good meals and snacks. I would recommend Alitalia to anyone.

Alitalia Customer review :  31 March 2014 by J Cataldo (USA)

Flew non-stop Boston to FCO on March 19 and returned on the 28th. Have to say overall they have improved since my last flight in 2011 and dramatically so in the last 10 years. My pet peeve however is the lack of safety enforcement on the plane on takeoff and landing. Unlike other airlines, not a single flight attendant came around to make sure seats were in the proper position (many were fully reclined) and several people were up and walking around, indeed, going into the overhead bins during or shortly after takeoff and landing on both flights! Very dangerous. Also, although I had requested a gluten free meal, I was served my gf meal with a wheat roll sitting in the coffee cup. Good thing I am every vigilant and did not assume that this was the best gluten free roll ever made! Also wish they would allow one to choose seat assignments at the time of booking like every other airline on the planet.

Alitalia Customer review :  19 March 2014 by S Kirschner (USA)

Vienna to Rome on March 12 and from Rome to New York on March 16. The best long distance and also short distance flights we've experienced. Great seats with lots of room, good food, and friendly, helpful crew. We had flown to Europe on Air France and had the worst flight in history! We were sceptical about our flights home as we had never flown with Alitalia. We had the best and most comfortable flights ever and we were even in Economy seats!

Alitalia Customer review :  19 March 2014 by M Mark (USA)

Business class from JFK to Tel Aviv, changing planes in Rome. I chose Alitalia because of the 1-2-1 across seating in business. Their arrival/departure times at all 3 airports were convenient. I used the business class lounges in all 3 airports: they were all relatively pleasant and much better than waiting at the gates. Complaints: Only on the first leg of the flight was there an English-language newspaper. While I have read some bad reviews of the lounge in Roma, I found it pleasant, if not outstanding. They did have decaf coffee, which is a big plus for me. The food selection was limited and unexciting, but I did expect better on board the flights themselves. Unfortunately, on the JFK-Rome legs, the food was truly awful and did not taste good. Perhaps the speciality meals would have been a better choice, but I did not know in advance how bad the business class meals would be. I wish I had wrapped up some of the finger sandwiches from the Rome lounge and taken them with me back to NYC.

Alitalia Customer review :  10 March 2014 by Jeyes Philip (UK)

LIN-LHR (Milan-Linate - London-Heathrow). Short flight from Italy to the UK. Pleasant enough, nothing specifically remarkable but no real gripes either. I'd have no reservations about using the airline again.

Alitalia Customer review :  25 February 2014 by Maria Yordanova (Bulgaria)

Travelled with my husband from Sofia, Bulgaria to Rome, Italy and back with business class tickets. Inbound flight operated by Bulgaria Air and the outbound by Alitalia. The service I received was not up to the standards applicable for business class. We went through the same security and border control lines as economy passengers, waited in the same area as economy passengers, boarded the same bus and we boarded at the exact same time as economy passengers. Received no better service from the flight attendants. The only difference I saw was that the food in the business class cabin was better. On the first flight we did not check bags and printed the boarding passes at home. On our way back we had to check in one bag. There was a desk with sign "sky priority", with just one person serving customers. After the second flight my bag was not the first one to arrive although it was the only one with priority tag. In both cases we had to be transported from the airport to the plane by a bus. That was a terrible experience for business class passengers. On our way back, we boarded the bus with priority, but this means that we were one of the last ones to board the plane, there was already no space for our handbags. Not entitled to lounge access either in Rome nor in Sofia. First flight was on time, but was 30 minutes early on arrival in Rome. The second flight was 30 minutes late departing. Inbound flight was on a Embraer E-190 aircraft where we had 2 seats on each side of the aisle. The seats in business class are not wider, do not have more leg room, do not recline better than those in economy - they are the exact same seats. Outbound flight was on a Embraer E-175 aircraft, which is essentially the same as the above with some "extra" - none of the first class seats has a window!

Alitalia Customer review :  21 February 2014 by A Crociani (Italy)

Rome-Fiumicino to Tel Aviv-Ben Gurion and return. Both flights of 3 hours with old Airbus A320, the cabin crew served a lunch on the outbound leg and a dinner at the return, you could also take more drinks in the galley in the rear part of the aircraft. On the FCO-TLV leg we took-off 15 min. late but we arrived on time, on the TLV-FCO route we took-off and landed on time. Nothing to complain, I will fly Alitalia again.

Alitalia Customer review :  21 February 2014 by J Atkins (Israel)

I flew Tel Aviv to Paris CDG via Rome in January and then Rome to TLV in February. Overall I'm pretty impressed by Alitalia. The gluten free meal served on the TLV-FCO leg is excellent and showcases simple Mediterranean cooking. Staff are always friendly and all my flights have been on time. Cabin crew did become rather short, however, in dealing with difficult passengers when there was no more space in the overhead lockers, despite announcing a strict 1 bag policy on boarding (not enforced, I think).

Alitalia Customer review :  11 February 2014 by O Benyehuda (USA)

Flew from JFK to Rome. A330 in excellent condition. Seats were super comfortable with lie flat. 1-2-1 config is great. Entertainment system was excellent with large screen and excellent selection. Food was ample, nicely presented. Excellent pasta. The cabin crew was very friendly and attentive. Overall impressed. Much better than my experience on Swiss or United or Lufthansa. On par with Delta's Business Elite.

Alitalia Customer review :  3 February 2014 by T Matava (USA)

IST-FCO-MIA, AZ630, 28 Jan, travel between Rome and Miami in Premium Economy. I have flown AZ long haul several times in both Business and Prem Eco and quite like the hard product. I particularly like the Business seat, it offers good privacy and nice comfort. On this trip in Prem Eco I found the seat somewhat uncomfortable. Well- padded, the recline however is awkward and does not have a good recline. What bugs me about AZ is the crew is always reactive to the passenger; never anticipating passenger needs. When asked however service is provided quickly and graciously. On this trip however, call lights went unanswered and crew was hard to find. AZ also seems to have an unwritten practice that employees, family members and friends traveling with a crew member can sit wherever they find a vacant seat - in any cabin they want. This becomes a distraction to the working crew as they focus more on their traveling companions and less on higher-fare paying passengers.

Alitalia Customer review :  31 January 2014 by Bastien Antoine (USA)

Flight 318, FCO (Rome) to CDG (Paris), January 26, 2014. Flight departed and arrived on time, seat somewhat uncomfortable, not much in the way of a complimentary snack or beverage (tiny bag of bread sticks, juice). The twin-engined Airbus was new and clean, the FAs courteous and competent. I'd fly Alitalia on a short trip again.

Alitalia Customer review :  28 January 2014 by D Wahid (USA)

We caught a connecting flight with Alitalia from Paris to Rome - a very old plane, and luckily it was a short flight. Then we flew Alitalia from Rome to NY, a very long 10 hr disappointing flight! The TV monitors didn't work and the staff didn't seem to care even after numerous complaints. The food was horrible! Some awful lasagne or chicken. After serving this, the staff disappeared for the remainder of the flight and passengers were asked to go to the back and help themselves. Then an hour before landing they served cheese sandwiches which were inedible. The seats not to mention, were so uncomfortable and I'm short and even I couldn't stretch my legs out. If the person in front reclined their seat, you were eating in your lap. I will never fly Alitalia again.