Alitalia

"was a bit apprehensive"

Verified Review | Rome to Catania. First time on Alitalia as part of a trip from Düsseldorf to Catania via Rome. I only learned of the insolvency of the airline after booking so was a bit apprehensive. But everything turned out fine. We were assigned an emergency exit seat without any cost and were served a drink for free. Took off too late because of typical Italian discussions about hand luggage. I don't understand why they allow hand luggage bigger than my luggage on hold on board. Took ages before it was settled because the plane was full. Arrived only five minutes too late in Catania though. All in all it was a good flight. The only reason why I don't recommend is the insolvency.
RouteRome to Catania

"mediocre to bad flight"

Verified Review | New York to Rome. I have flown Alitalia for years, but it is just getting worse. I thought by upgrading to premium economy it would be much better, but no. For twice the price of economy, you do get easy check-in (thank God, because economy check-in must take about an hour), but after that, very little difference. The seats are a bit larger wth 7 seats across instead of 9, but they are just as hard and uncomfortable. The food is the same as economy , which is awful. I love Italian culture, particularly the food, but how can the national airline of Italy have such bad food? (All 4 meals round trip). And beware Americans, this airline does not stock vodka on board, even for an 11 hour flight. Also, flight attendants are cool and impersonal, very un-Italian. As far as in flight entertainment was concerned I had never heard of any of the films on offer. Overall, a mediocre to bad flight experience.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteNew York to Rome
Date FlownAugust 2017

"seems like issue of overbooking"

Verified Review | Paris to New Delhi via Rome. Alitalia is starting operations in India from 30th October 2017. I had booked tickets in July for my travel to Switzerland and Paris then return back to Delhi. Booked with this airline as the tickets were cheap. But now they are changing my return dates. Orginal return is on 27th Nov they changed it to 26th Nov without informing me. Now their new email says your flight for 26th has also been cancelled, please contact (a telephone number is given) to change your reservation. When contacted they don't speak English (just Italian, i don't understand italian). When you will check the website for the tickets on same date, tickets were available but were 5 times more costly than for what i have booked. Clearly seems like issue of overbooking and making out money by cheating on customers. Really bad experience before flying, god help me don't know what the flying experience would be.
RouteParis to New Delhi via Rome
Date FlownNovember 2016

"food is a salty or sweet snack"

Verified Review | Palermo to Amsterdam via Milan. Flying Alitalia was a horrible experience for me. There is nothing positive to mention. Badly organised boarding, rude, impatient and cranky cabin crew. The food is a salty or sweet snack, the sweet is kind of ok, the salty is tasteless. Drinks of sodas, coffee or tea only. There is no legs pace. Even creating a bit more space by removing the magazines didn't give me enough space to sit straight. And they wanted me to put my laptop backpack below my seat.
RoutePalermo to Amsterdam via Milan
Date FlownOctober 2017

"Alitalia was probably the worst ever"

Verified Review | Tokyo to London via Rome. I have done 8 long haul flights this year and my Alitalia flight from Tokyo to London was probably the worst ever. The cabin was really hot. Rude staff. Horrible food. Old plane, some things were literally falling apart. My seat didn't work properly. 2h after take off (on a 12h journey) I asked for a can of beer and I heard 'there is no more beer, everyone is drinking beer, we only have wine' so I asked for a glass of wine, got half a cup. Asked for a bit more wine an hour later and this unhappy face came to me and said 'this is gonna be the last one!'. I asked why, she said 'we are not allowed to serve too much wine to the same person'. I didn't want to start arguing but I was fuming. People pay quite a lot of money for those flight tickets and the last thing you need is seeing that miserable face and feel bad every time you need to ask for help. Honestly do yourself a favour and chose different airlines. I don't think I will ever fly with Alitalia again.
RouteTokyo to London via Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"seats very narrow and uncomfortable"

Verified Review | Rome to Los Angeles. This is by far the worst airline I have ever flown. The flight was fully booked, upon boarding it was very hot in the cabin and smelt horrible. The Economy attendants were rude and impatient! Hours would go by and no one was in the cabin, after 3 hours with no one checking, I walked to the back and asked for water, obviously an inconvenience since the attendants were rude! The seats were very narrow and uncomfortable which is saying a lot since I'm just over 5 ft tall and 155lbs. If you are of any reasonable height, expect zero leg room! I will never fly Alitalia again! Worst experience we've ever had!
RouteRome to Los Angeles
Date FlownOctober 2017

"One of the worst major airlines"

Verified Review | Rome to New York JFK on a Boeing 777-200. One of the worst major airlines I have experienced. The lines to check in stretched about 100 feet. No clear signage where to go. Obnoxious Alitalia attendants. Flight left the gate over a half an hour late for no apparent reason but inefficiency. Seats are the narrowest I ever experienced on transatlantic (Norwegian's are better).
RouteRome to New York JFK

"but refused compensation"

Verified Review | I had to fly with this company between Geneva and Rome on September 2, 2017 at 7:00. I receive an sms on September 1st at 9 pm to tell me that the flight is canceled for no reason and to contact customer service. Unfortunately at 9pm the French customer service is closed, I had to call the customer service in Italy which cost me dear. I was offered no solution other than the refund but I had to go to Rome for the weekend so I took another very expensive ticket as it was the day before departure for Rome via Swiss. I contacted Alitalia on my return to obtain the refund but above all the legal compensation of 250 euros for a canceled flight not notified within 14 days before the date of departure. I got the refund of the tickets but refused compensation under the pretext that the weather was bad on Rome and so there were exceptional circumstances. This is where it hurts even more because it was a big blue sky over Rome and the Swiss company that brought us to Rome had no problems.
RouteGeneva to Roma
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"choose a different airline"

Verified Review | Amsterdam to Rome. An utterly ridiculous experience with this airline. The experience is that of a low cost budget airline.. Flights leaves 3-4 hours late. No food served except for a pack of sweet or salty (I still cannot understand how Italy famous for its food can offer the passengers of its national carrier a sole option of either something salty or something sweet (literally, that's how crew members ask you what would you prefer to have). Drinks are limited to very few poor choices - apricot juice, Coke, orange juice or 7 UP. No Italian wine or any other alcohol drink is available. I love Italy and I have heard about Alitalia from others but did not believe what I was hearing because my image of Italy and the description of Alitalia by others did not match. When it comes to flying, if you have a choice, choose a different airline.
RouteAmsterdam to Rome
Date FlownSeptember 2017

"clean aircraft, nice crew"

(Italy)

Verified Review | I have flown with Alitalia for years and never posted a review, but against all criticism the airline receives I felt I should share my positive experience on this last round trip to the USA. I have flown economy Rome to Miami and back, clean aircraft, nice crew, edible (may be scarce) food, 3 services going west and dinner/breakfast going east. IFE not spectacular but many good films, orderly and relaaxed boarding both at MIA and FCO. Only shortfalls, seats a bit hard for the 10 plus hour flight and toilets not in top condition already at midflight. Having flown the North Atlantic many times also with American, United, Delta and US Airways, I think Alitalia is at least on a par with Delta and far superior to the other US heritage airlines. Both flights departed on time and arrived ahead of schedule.
RouteMiami to Rome