Alitalia

"All in all, Alitalia delivered"

Trip Verified | This was my fifth flight on Alitalia in the past 12 months and I have been fifth time lucky in experiencing on time departure and arrival! Ground crew at Malpensa's Terminal 2 were helpful - I had an easy check in at a counter. Immigration and security checks were smooth and quick despite the large number of flyers. At the gate, the boarding appeared to have been started too close to the departure time as a result of which everyone was standing and crowding the entrance. The seating was in a 2-4-2 configuration and I had an aisle seat. The leg space was sufficient and the seat reclined more than I had expected. There was personal IFE with a large collection of Italian movies and also films in languages other than English. I particularly appreciated the live BBC and NBC news that was available. The IFE was turned on after 30 minutes into the flight and free head phones were provided. Being an afternoon flight, a lunch was offered. There were only two choices - no menu cards. One was a vegetarian lasagna, the other a turkey sandwich. I chose the former. The overall portion of the meal was on the smaller side. Alcoholic drinks were complimentary. After the lunch, I asked the flight attendant if limoncello, the Italian after meal drink was available. She smiled and brought me some from, I assume, business class. Flight attendants spoke English and were very approachable. Before landing, a snack was served. Drink carts ran up and down the aisles quite regularly. The bathrooms stayed relatively clean. Customs cards were distributed prior to landing. You don't need these any more if you are using the passport machines to process your entry into the U.S. There was a duty free catalog in the pocket behind the seat in front of you. But there were few, if any, items in it that you could not get in any major city. I would have liked a cold towel on boarding, given the heat and sweat that accompanied the trip to Malpensa and a similar towel just before arriving could be refreshing. All in all, Alitalia delivered.
AircraftA330-200
RouteMilan Malpensa to New York JFK
Date FlownJuly 2018

"was a very bad service"

Trip Verified | Rome to Tirana. The worst airline I have traveled with. Traveled with Alitalia twice and both times I had major problems. To begin, we were a large family traveling to Albania with a connection in Rome. On our way back to Toronto, my grand-parents needed assistance and therefore had to remain seated in the plane until assistance came and took them to the connecting flight. Long story short, when we got to our connecting flight and asked if my grand-parents boarded, the Alitalia representatives had no idea where my grand-parents were. After a long argument they finally found them and brought them to the flight. When my Grandparents sat in their seats, my grandpa began to vomit and the flight attendants did not help or offer assistance at all, they just rolled their eyes. In general it was a very bad service, no warmth.
RouteRome to Tirana
Date FlownJuly 2018

"found service extremely poor"

Trip Verified | Chicago to Tel Aviv via Rome. Overall, I found the service provided by Alitalia be extremely poor. First, my seat back was broken, that it would just recline, even without me pressing against it. Next, while I had requested a specific dietary meal a few days before boarding, the airline had no record of. Instead of trying to be accommodating and helpful, the steward's attitude was "we don't have it." There was no one offering drinks throughout the flight. While deplaning with my children (as we were last), I thanked the steward. His hostile reply was, "well, the cleaning crew is waiting for you." I was shocked, and in the scurry, I forgot my cell phone on the plane. There was no one at the gate to welcome us, and report the lost phone. I had to go to a central service desk, wait a half hour for service to file a report, which didn't get me anywhere. I tried calling customer service, I was told that there is no line to customer service, you can only file a claim via email. This turned out to be nothing but a headache and much aggravation. It is certainly not worth your time or money to fly with such an amateurish airline.
RouteChicago to Tel Aviv via Rome

"No timely announcement"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | Rome to Athens. On initial boarding time (15:35) an announcement issued for delay of the flight until the airplane arrives. No timely announcement to passengers though late aircraft arrival was known. Delay, again. Usual Alitalia food (crisps, biscoti or saltie) compared to other airlines regular food supply. No entertainment unless if you consider entertainment the airline shopping guide.
RouteRome to Athens
Date FlownJuly 2018

"getting its act together"

Trip Verified | Alitalia had some great deals lately so booked 2 round trips in Business class. AMS-FCO-ATH AND AMS-FCO-FLR. All flights more or less on time. Lounges in Amsterdam and Athens good. Lounge in Rome new lounge in E concourse prefect the old Schengen lounge at D1 a dump. Check in staff generally outsourced but perfect. Alitalia staff is a mixed bag. Some staff really doing their best some really need a training or unmotivated. Onboard in general spacious for euro business, middle seat free and extra legroom. On all flights (except domestic) there was a hot pasta meal served which was surprisingly good, along with hot bread a sweet dessert but a lousy salad. A selection of wines , incl sparkling and limoncello and chocolates where also offered inmost cases. All in all especially considered the low price a great steal. Also Alitalia offers lots of miles compared to other Skyteam partners. Alitalia is getting its act together hopefully its saved by the bell. Will book again
AircraftA321/A319
RouteAmstedam to Florence via Rome
Date FlownJune 2018

"Last time for me flying Alitalia"

Trip Verified | Los Angeles to Rome. Flight was delayed 40 min. without explanation. As usual with Alitalia there was no order in calling rows to board the plane and a huge crowd of passengers were standing there waiting for the rows to be called. Very confusing without structure. My seat was completely abused and it was the worst seat I’ve had on over 200 flights in my life. Crew looked great but poor service. Arrogant and unlike other airlines they were sitting talking among themselves in the back of the plane. Last time for me flying Alitalia! That’s for sure!
RouteLos Angeles to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"price was very reasonable"

Not Verified | Heathrow to Rome (rtn) in economy class onboard an older A321 outbound and an A320 on the inbound flight. Check-in on both flights was prompt and professional and seats which had been pre-booked were offered. The boarding was organised and although both flights were full this was straight forward and stress free. The seats are tight in economy but no more than other airlines. The price was very reasonable at £146 return and again was the main factor for choosing AZ. The flight offered a drinks service which was all complimentary but no food. Once again this is comparable to BA so no major grumble here. Overall I would recommend AZ on the short-haul product. The staff are friendly enough and I don't see any major difference from any other airline within Europe.
RouteLondon to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"charged 55 Euros per bag"

Trip Verified | I did not note that if I did not pay for my bags ahead of time I would be charged 55 Euros per bag. Then I got on the flight and I have never been crammed into a seat so small. I am 5’8 and I couldn’t even sit in the seat without my legs being squashed into the seat in front of me.
RouteCatania to Rome

"was pleasantly surprised"

Trip Verified | Have heard a lot of negative reviews about Alitalia but was pleasantly surprised. Onward journey, Delhi-Rome staff not so friendly but otherwise efficient, food ok and leg space ok. Rome-Delhi staff friendly, food only Italian but tasty, leg space ok and flight on time. A no frills airline. Will definitely recommend.
RouteNew Delhi to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"definitely fly them again"

Trip Verified | London to Johannesburg via Rome. Booked Alitalia due to the price and had no expectations at all. The flight from LHR was delayed by an hour due to really bad weather and was uneventful. The cabin crew were not happy on this leg but were still cordial. Arriving in Rome I boarded the JNB flight straight away. The crew meeting passengers at the door were great, especially the male flight attendant. I was happily surprised with the seats too. I had been led to believe that it would be cramped but this was not the case. The seats were wide and the pitch was really great compared to many other airlines. The service was swift and on the whole friendly. The food was standard and on par with other airlines and drinks and snacks were left out in the galleys along with a variety of drinks. I honestly have no problem in recommending Alitalia and will most definitely fly them again.
AircraftA320 / A330-200