Alitalia

"unacceptable service from Alitalia"

Trip Verified | Business Class from London to New Delhi via Rome and this was the worst C class product I have seen. Check-in at LHR took 25 minutes as economy class passengers were served at the C class check-in. During the first flight there was no pre-departure drink offered. The meal served after take off was the smallest I've seen and inedible. I did not see an FA for the remaining of the flight. I had to push the call button to get some water that came in a plastic cup. Plane landed with some blinds closed and items on the floor on first row as there was no pre-landing cabin check. The flight to Delhi was worse. We were served a small meal soon after take off and for about 4.5 hours I did not see an FA in the cabin. I wanted a snack and a drink mid flight and pushed the call button 4 times within 2 hours - no one turned up. About an hour before landing we were served another small meal. Most of the options on their menu apparently did not exist, so I ended up having some bread and fruits. This is unacceptable service from Alitalia.
AircraftA321 / A330-200
RouteLondon to Delhi via Rome
Date FlownMarch 2018

"skip Alitalia at all costs"

Trip Verified | Tehran to Toronto via Rome. I thought North American airlines were the worst but both flights on Alitalia were terrible. Particularly the flight from Tehran, the aircraft was extremely old, staff terrible and they skipped us for drinks. The food was a terrible cheese sandwich and seats super tight with no screens. The aircraft to Toronto was better and the staff nicer. Food was terrible and it's the first time I've seen an airline save on butter and water. Unless you want to see Rome and no other airline can take you, skip Alitalia at all costs.
RouteTehran to Toronto via Rome
Date FlownApril 2018

"only two rounds with drinks"

(Poland)

Trip Verified | Miami to Rome. This is the worst airline I have travelled with. The only positive I can mention is the ground service in Miami, after this everything was only getting worse. Cabin crew was unfriendly and unhelpful, there was only two rounds with drinks during entire almost 10 hour flight, no snacks between dinner and breakfast. During the dinner service cabin crew forgot about me and I had to go after service to ask for a dinner for myself. The food was so terrible that after the dinner I thought that skipping me during the dinner service wasn't the worst thing that happened. Toilets were very dirty.
RouteMiami to Rome
Date FlownMarch 2018

"not worth this nightmare"

Trip Verified | My boyfriend and I flew Alitalia Miami to Rome and our luggage did not make it to Rome with us. We filed a claim at FCO and were assured our luggage would be delivered to us where we were staying in Venice. We spent our entire time in Venice either trying to contact them or being available for them to contact us to let us know when to expect our luggage. Every person we talked to gave us different information ("the bags should be delivered tonight," 2 hours later "one bag is in Rome but we don't know about the other," 2 hours later "both bags are still in Miami," etc.), but all assured us that our bags would be delivered to us. It wasn't until the night before we were supposed to leave Venice that we were informed that we would have to go pick up our luggage ourselves from the Venice airport. Because the lost and found office at the Venice airport doesn't open until 10AM, this meant missing our 9:30AM train to Florence which we'd already bought tickets for, and having to spend 30 euros on roundtrip tickets to the Venice airport plus buying 100 euro replacement train tickets to Florence. Since we've been back home, Alitalia has been just as useless. I was told the office that handles delayed baggage claims has no phone number, and it takes roughly 3 days to get a canned email response from them. Alitalia is refusing to reimburse us for the bus tickets to the Venice airport and the replacement train tickets to Florence we had to buy, because according to them we could have elected to not pick up our bags and just have them shipped to us back home in the states, clearly not a real option. My boyfriend is a graduate student and I work for a nonprofit; we got an amazing deal on these flights to Italy and saved up for 5 months for this trip. Any money we may have saved was negated by Alitalia's negligence. I have never experienced worse customer service in my life, and would advise anyone to avoid flying with Alitalia at all costs. While the flight experience itself was actually one of the better transatlantic flights I've taken, it was obviously not worth this nightmare. We had a tight connection coming from Atlanta to Miami via Delta so I understand the delayed luggage, but the way they handled the situation is absolutely unacceptable.
RouteMiami to Rome

"the cancellation policy"

Trip Verified | New York to Albania via Rome. I reserved my flight a month ago and asked about the cancellation policy. I was charged extra so if I needed to I could cancel. 2 days before the flight I has a family pass away and could not make the flight. I called the company and I was encountered by the most heartless woman. She refused to help and hung up on me when I asked for the call to be escalated. I wish I would of never booked with them.
RouteNew York to Albania via Rome
Date FlownMarch 2018

"had to give up flying with Alitalia"

(Brazil)

Trip Verified | Flew Paris CDG to Sao Paulo via Rome. I have finally had to give up flying with Alitalia. I love the food on the flights (premium and business), I love their lounge in Rome FCO but unfortunately the organisation of this airline is an absolute disaster and it is no longer viable for me to fly with Alitalia. If you travel with only hand luggage and require no assistance Alitalia is still a great airline, if you need any assistance from ground crew or management forget it. I am sad to say my next flight (already booked and paid for) the week after next will be my last with Alitalia.
Cabin FlownPremium Economy
RouteParis CDG to Sao Paulo via Rome
Date FlownMarch 2018

"haul it was almost perfect"

Trip Verified | Santiago de Chile to Berlin via Rome. Because the economy fares around Christmas and New Year were pretty expensive, I got an business class ticket for Alitalia, going from TXL to EZE and back from SCL, which was almost half of the price a normal trip like this would cos in business. I was a little afraid Alitalia will go bankrupt before my flights but I did risk it and the service I got was worth the money. The business class inside Europe is not a big deal, the legroom a little more and a meal served which was good. On the long haul side, it was almost perfect and I think this is how flying was used to be back in the 90s or 2000s. A lot of legroom, the seat turns into a bed, a huge screen with pretty good entertainment program, a lot of attention from the crew. The only downside I had was that the food portions (although incredibly delicious) were very small and don't fill you up. All flights landed around 30 Minutes before of schedule and I must say it was the first time I hadn't feel a 14 hours flight passing that quickly. The lounges in Rome were very well equipped, the ones in TXL and SCL were average.
RouteSantiago de Chile to Berlin via Rome
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"Shocking customer service"

Trip Verified | My husband and I flew from Geneva to Palermo via a brief stop in Rome. When we got to Rome our bags were not transferred onto our connecting flight and arrived in Palermo on another flight a few hours later. We received a text notifying us that our bags had arrived in Palermo, but our bags were not delivered to us until 2 days later, causing us to incur a lot of expenses in purchasing emergency items for the 2 days we were without baggage. After agreeing (over 5 months later) to compensate us for some of the hassle we went through, another 3 months later and they still haven't paid us. Emails are not responded to. Phone calls go nowhere. All we now get is silence. The airline has been fined by DOT for violating the International Baggage Liability Rule, but it still continues to violate the Montreal Convention. Shocking airline. Shocking customer service. No wonder it has started bankruptcy proceedings and has been put up for sale. If a buyer comes to bail it out, they are going to have one big mess to clean up!
RouteGeneva to Palermo via Rome
Date FlownJune 2017

"horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | Prague to Rome.They are absolutely horrible. They overbooked our flight from Prague to Rome by around 12 people. 12 people could not get on the flight! There was no information given and we waited in line to check in for an hour and a half before someone finally told us what was going on. We were then informed that the next available flight to Rome wouldn’t be for another 2 days. Who would like to reimburse us for the two days we may miss in our airbnb in Rome??Absolutely ridiculous and horrible customer service. How do you manage to overbook a flight for 12 people??
RoutePrague to Rome
Date FlownFebruary 2018

"a very enjoyable flight"

Trip Verified | I have flown on Alitalia many times on the same flight and as always, it was overall a very enjoyable flight flying from New York City to Milan. Besides having a free seat next to mine which added much more comfort, the aircraft was clean and cabin crew were very nice and welcoming. The meal was quite tasty and they don't serve as much food as Delta does on the same flight, but for the length of the flight it was enough.
AircraftA330-200 (A332)