Alitalia

"not informed of baggage policies"

Trip Verified | Naples to Rome. We booked our tickets through Kayak and were not informed of the baggage policies beyond the usual thing. When we traveled from Palermo to Naples, we were allowed to check one bag and carry on a bag with no additional fees. However, the problem began on our flight from Naples to Rome. When we went to check our bags, we were informed our checked bags were each over 8 kg. They charged us 53 Euros per bag to check them. The ticket agent gave us a lot of misleading information about what our options were. According to their company policies, we were charged the wrong excess baggage fee but they won't even refund that and charge us the right fee. Take the train for much less money, no baggage restrictions, etc.
RouteNaples to Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"never again and never Alitalia"

Trip Verified | Rome to Boston. I would like to thank the Alitalia desk agent at the Rome airport who taught me a very important lesson! I will never be a complacent traveler again. We arrived 6 hours early to check in for our flight home. We had bought and paid for our seats 5 months ago and were to be seated in Row 19 A and C. For some reason we were reassigned to seats 44 A and C right next to the toilet. We did not notice the change until we had left the area. Fortunately, there were numerous empty seats in the middle of the aircraft and we did move. Now the fault lies with us for not returning to the agent for an explanation and to demand our original seats. The agent must have really enjoyed her day knowing that she had placed two people in the worst possible seats for a nine hour flight. I always try to be patient and understanding when changes are made. Never again and never Alitalia.
RouteRome to Boston

"Horrible customer service"

Trip Verified | New York JFK to Rome. Horrible customer service: rude, horrible flight. Cramped more than other flights, air conditioning did not work so it was extremely hot. Extremely disorganized.
RouteNew York JFK to Rome

"cold and unfriendly"

Trip Verified | Flew Alitalia from Palermo to Geneva via Rome. Worst customer experience on an airline yet. All flights were on time and baggage arrived correctly, so it is not about operations. From the first telephone contact, initially to change a flight, to the personnel at check in and inflight service, the welcome to guests is cold and unfriendly. Both ways (to and from Palermo) was obliged to check my carry on bag, despite it being of regulation size, as the flight was supposedly full and overhead bin space needed for other carry on. (Why theirs, not mine? Because I also had a checked bag?). In both cases, I observed plenty of available space in overhead lockers when flights took off. Additionally, boarding badly indicated and several passengers from Rome missed the first bus to the plane. Of four flights, 3 all had buses to distant locations despite this being a national airline. Final detail: no food offered to passengers other than a salty cracker snack, whether first thing at 7 am or at 9 pm. Soft drinks only. Would rather fly a low cost and pay for my drinks.
RoutePalermo to Geneva via Rome
Date FlownMay 2018

"a waste of money and time"

(Greece)

Trip Verified | I had a terrible experience travelling with Alitalia. I booked a ticket with KLM from New York JFK to Athens via Rome, but the return flight was unfortunately operated by Alitalia. First of all, we were waiting for 5 hours inside a landed airplane because the crew were waiting for the second pilot. I can't even tell how rude they were with passengers, they only gave us one glass of water and a small snack, even though we'd been waiting 5 hours! Furthermore, I had a flight connection, which I lost because of the long delay of the first flight so I had to wait for 4 more hours at Rome Fiumicino. The ground staff were rude and barely spoke English. Alitalia was a waste of money and time!
RouteNew York JFK to Athens via Rome
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"everything was perfect"

(Czech Republic)

Trip Verified | Prague to Cairo via Rome and Alitalia was really nice. I was impressed by the quality of service. The only problem was that they don't have any in-flight entertaining , other than that everything was perfect.
RoutePrague to Cairo via Rome

"Really improved experience"

(Argentina)

Trip Verified | Rome to Buenos Aires. Alitalia's premium class service improved significantly in the last years. Alitalia Lounge (Casa Alitalia) in Rome Fumicino is far from what you expect for a Business Class Lounge, they still have to work on it. On the plane, the renovated Magnifica Class seats on the Boeing 777-200 are really comfortable and recline 180 degrees. Seat massage is standard and IFE has to be improved (few movies for a 14hr flight and most of them could only be seen in italian). Professional and attentive crew. They walk through the cabin during the flight asking passengers if everything is OK. Food service is awesome, four course dinner. Amenity kit from Bulgari is fine, the only thing missing, an Alitalia pen. Really improved experience.
RouteRome to Buenos Aires
Date FlownJanuary 2018

"This is the worst airline"

Trip Verified | Missed my connection to Cairo because my United Airlines flight was late getting into London. To get me to Cairo faster. They switched my flight to Alitalia and this is where my nightmare began. I flew from Heathrow and transferred in Rome to Cairo Egypt. Before I boarded my flight I went to the desk to make sure my suitcase had been transferred to the flight. The gate attendant looked on the computer and said yes your bag is on board. I then boarded the flight transferred in London and made it too my final destination Cairo. The flight from Rome to Cairo was very rocky and I couldn't wait too get off that plane. I then proceeded to baggage claim to pick up my suitcase. Every bag came out and mine was no where to be found. I started to panic because I was meeting friends in Cairo and we were on a 14 day trip to Egypt, Israel and Jordon. I went to look for baggage office and there was know one there except a lady giving out paper missing luggage reports. No computers nothing. I pleaded with her that this was an emergency and I needed to get my suitcase back immediately because I was on a 14 day international trip. She assured me my bag would be on the next flight and they would immediately send my bag to my hotel in Cairo. I felt relieved went to my hotel two days passed no bags no nothing. I tried calling the number on missing luggage report that she gave me know one answered. Tour guides,manager of hotel everyone tried calling to get my luggage back. Finally I realized they gave me a number that wasn't being answered at all. I had another flight and went back to Cairo to file a police report. I reported my luggage stolen because the airline gave me false contact info. I had to borrow clothes from my friends I was traveling with. Buy clothes from street markets when I could. I was stressed out but still hoping they would return my luggage well long story short. Alitalia airlines kept my luggage the whole 14 days I was traveling. My bag was finally returned to me when I got back to USA. It was twenty five days later. I had put a card on my luggage with my contact info it had my name home phone number, address and email address. They never contacted me at all instead they let my luggage sit in a luggage room the whole time with my info on it. What did I get from this airline. They said we're sorry you were inconvinced. To date I have received nothing no compensation for severely disrupting my dream vacation. This is the worst airline on the planet. I wouldn't trust them with anything. Don't give them your bags. They lose bags and don't care.
RouteLondon to Cairo via Rome
Date FlownMarch 2018

"very efficient indeed"

Trip Verified | I flew from Milan Linate to Palermo with Alitalia. This was my second Alitalia flight of the day. I found the boarding very efficient. The cabin crew were mostly older men and not friendly. I observed how Italian passengers were treated in a more friendly and amicable manner than non-Italians. The interior of the aircraft was very clean and the cup of coffee was much appreciated. The flight arrived on-time and my bag was quickly delivered.
RouteMilan to Palermo

"the flight was smooth"

(Japan)

Trip Verified | Wasn’t bad at all! I was really preparing for the worst after reading some terrible reviews but the flight was smooth and seats not too uncomfortable. I’m an incredibly nervous flyer and was crying during boarding and take off but the staff were very kind and helpful. The food was bad though, and entertainment system subpar and outdated and the flight from Rome to London had nothing at all. However it was a very smooth flight and my baggage arrived safely too. Satisfied! I hope the return trip with Alitalia goes as well.
RouteTokyo to London via Rome