Air China Passenger Reviews and Air China Customer Trip Reports

Air China Customer review :  23 July 2014 by Bob Zhang (China)

Flew from PEK to SFO with Air China CA985, a brand new Boeing 777-300ER plane. Seat was comfortable with personal 9-inch PTV. Films and music were good. Cabin service and food were also satisfactory. The flight was punctual and I'm very satisfied with the journey. Hope to fly with Air China again next time.

Air China Customer review :  18 July 2014 by Gan Stephani (USA)

CA1520, Shanghai to Beijing, July 15th 2014. First time using this airline for a trip to Beijing from Shanghai. Booked the trip about a month ahead, and was told during check in that the flight doesn't exist anymore and that they could get us on the later flight at 7.30 at night when our flight was supposed to be at 11.30 am. We managed to get an earlier flight in another airport in Shanghai that was also delayed. When we checked in, the customer service was rude, we spoke to the supervisor, and she was even worse. Our flight was delayed and we were told that it would only take 2 hrs, it took more than 5 hours. There were a lot of angry passengers as well and there was no answer. Very unprofessional! we asked several questions about our luggage and they didn't have answers to these basic questions. Very disappointed and definitely will never use this airline again.

Air China Customer review :  16 July 2014 by J Solo (Australia)

Melbourne - Shanghai - Beijing - Stockholm, and then reverse. Inflight entertainment was fine on the flights that included a personal screen, but for both Stockholm-Beijing routes, it was just one screen on the bulkheads. On one route, the screen wasn't even working. Food varied from delicious (Melbourne - Shanghai) to poor, to everywhere in between. The price I paid, however, made up for most of these gripes. I got to and from my destinations safely and on time. Even when we got stuck at the terminal in Beijing for over an hour due to no fault of the pilot, we landed back in Melbourne on time. The toilets were always clean. Beware the hotel the airline will put you in for lengthy layovers. The airline will not help you find your way to and from the hotel. Overall, very unpleasant, but cheap and consistently on time. Take the good with the bad!

Air China Customer review :  16 July 2014 by A von Friedeburg (USA)

Took Air China for the first time on my first trip to China - from LAX to PEK on Jun 21 and PEK to IAD on Jul 10. Based on some negative reviews on this and other sites, I was a bit worried about spending 12-14 hours on an old plane with lousy service, bad food and non-English speaking staff. My expectations were completely shattered: our plane was the latest Airbus model, seats were very comfortable, the flight attendants very attentive and polite, all spoke English, and the movie selection was just fine. First time travelers to China are well advised to choose Air China. Moreover, the passport and custom controls at Beijing Airport beat almost any US and European standards in terms of ease and friendliness.

Air China Customer review :  12 July 2014 by K Aridanto (Indonesia)

Flew Jakarta-Xiamen-Beijing and Beijing-Xiamen-Jakarta route. The journey took place in December, the northern part of China was absolutely freezing. When I arrived in Xiamen, there was no problem. The problem was actually when I arrived in Beijing. The pilot parked the aircraft far away from the terminal. By the time I got off the plane, the temperature was below 5 degrees Celsius. We needed to be transported by bus to the airport terminal. The seat on the aircraft alone, was very narrow, quite an inconvenience for me. Overall, it was fair.

Air China Customer review :  7 July 2014 by F Strempel (Germany)

Flew FRA-PEK-HND, KIX-PEK, PEK-BKK and BKK-PEK-FRA. Service on the longhaul flights was good, FA's friendly and their English was fine. Food was okay for coach. Shorthaul flights were fine too but nothing special. All flights on time and always got an emergency exit seat for free. Seats were comfortable, I didn't check the IFE because I had my tablet with me but it seems to be average. Very good value for money! Tickets have been very cheap und nevertheless I could change my last flight back home for free. Excellent customer service at the office in Frankfurt!

Air China Customer review :  7 July 2014 by Chad Renee (Australia)

We flew from Brisbane to Auckland on Business Class (I upgraded us last minute on the flight June 27th) - I think people are very harsh with their reviews as we had a fantastic experience.

Air China Customer review :  1 July 2014 by C Flores (Austria)

On board service is absolutely minimal. Unfriendly staff, no trace of hospitality at all. Entertainment: all music is Chinese only! No classical music at all (but Chinese traditional music in abundance). Inflight magazine in Chinese language (with some minimal English words added). Cleanliness is rather low, overall impression: very low. The good things: flights were smooth and we felt safe. Punctuality was good.

Air China Customer review :  1 July 2014 by D Gerhart (Germany)

I flew Frankfurt-Beijing-Guiyang and return and I was completely satisfied. The first flight was on-time. In Frankfurt Air China flies from the Lufthansa gate, which is quite conveniently located. Entertainment was good, but it can be boring for people who speak neither Chinese nor English. The flight attendants were very friendly, the food was good, supply of drinks after request at night. Flight landed on-time in Beijing, but we needed to take a bus to the terminal. Connecting flight was on time again, but operated by Shandong Airlines, which was also okay. On the way back both Air China flights were punctual leaving, but due to high air traffic (not Air China's fault) we were delayed for about 90 min at Beijing Airport. During the waiting time drinks were available (self- service only) The cabin crew was friendly and we encountered some turbulence, so service was suspended quite often. There were too many announcements telling passengers to stay at their seats! Self-service in the galley was okay, even alcoholic beverages were included. Flight attendants didn't mind people going into the kitchen and getting food and drinks by themselves.

Air China Customer review :  26 June 2014 by Tianli Chen (USA)

Terrible service all around, will not fly with them again. Our flight did not even land in Beijing because of a "weather" condition, but when I checked the weather at the time, it was sunny. No other explanations were given. Upon landing in Beijing, I obviously missed my connective flight to Harbin. They offered us a hotel and a good 3 course meal, but instead we were transported to a rural area with only a cup noodle.

Air China Customer review :  24 June 2014 by P Pomeranze (USA)

Beijing to Shanghai, Business Class, June 21. Despite both ATC and weather delays (neither of which were the carriers fault) we had a really good experience. Flight was operated by an A330 which was internationally configured as it was continuing to Melbourne. Very comfortable seating, good entertainment including camera's and maps and a very decent snack. Crew were efficient and kind although not overly warm and they were inconsistent in their enforcement of safety regulations i.e. Cell phones on and seat backs up. The female crews seemed hesitant to enforce correct behavior of Chinese men. All in all a very good professional experience.

Air China Customer review :  21 June 2014 by S Shahab (Australia)

I did not have any service related problems with air china on return flights SYD-PEK-STO. Slight flight changes were emailed well in advance. I requested special meals which I got on all legs. Crew were very courteous. Some of the PEK-STO have inflight personal entertainment now but the selection is very poor and worst of all it is the same on all legs. Better to have your tablet or laptop pre loaded. If you are tall like me then don't choose a window seat. These seats and the middle two seats in the centre rows have a large black media box that sits where your left leg should - very uncomfortable on overnight flights. Overall a good experience minus any frills.

Air China Customer review :  18 June 2014 by J Hall (Australia)

I flew from Osaka to Ho Chi Minh with a connection in Beijing. The first flight from Japan was ok, although staff were quite unfriendly and check in was really slow, they took about 15 minutes looking at my passport and visa. The second flight was an hour delayed just boarding - no announcements were made for the reason of the delay. Once we boarded, we waited another hour and a half on the plane. Again, no announcements were made as to why we were waiting for at least the first hour and no crew were in sight, we just sat there. Food was pretty mediocre, and when offered a choice of chicken or seafood they then said there was no chicken and I had to wait. It took about 15 minutes for them to bring the food out after serving everyone else, and when I asked for it after about ten minutes the crew member just laughed and said you will have to wait. Small, uncomfortable seats. However no issues with baggage being transferred which was good, and flight itself was pretty smooth. All in all, not a great experience and one of the worst airlines I have flown with.

Air China Customer review :  18 June 2014 by Gerald Werner (USA)

My return flight from Changsha to Beijing was delayed 3 hours causing me to miss my connecting flight to LAX. No explanation, apology or help to make the LAX flight. I was flying business class at great expense. This kind of treatment was most unexpected. I missed the flight by only 5 minutes and had I received some help at the gate I could have made it. Other airlines make the effort. Going back to rebook was very difficult with no help offered. On the later return flight to LAX the flight attendants were very poor for a business class seat but they did allow Chinese to move into open business class seats but when I asked to move to first class for my problems I was rudely denied by the international manager. The food and drink for business class was both cheap and poorly offered compared to other airlines business class. Last time I use this airline.

Air China Customer review :  14 June 2014 by P Acheson (Canada)

Flew LAX to PEK. Other reviews had made me resigned to a bad experience, but I was pleasantly surprised. I would rate my flight much more highly than the three flights I had with Hainan Airlines in 2012. Checking in, I was happy that the agent could change my allocated window seat to an aisle seat. It turned out that I was given one of only six double seats on the Boeing 777-300 ER! My troublesome right leg was therefore free to move around. The airplane was newish and very clean. All the flight attendants were female, young, and smartly turned out. While not particularly friendly, and making little attempt to socialize with the passengers, they were polite, and at least one was always available near the midship galley, which had tea, water, juice, and cookies for snacking. Seats were fairly comfortable, with the usual minimal recline feature. Food was another surprise: tasty chicken and rice, or shrimps and rice; but the "tomato" juice was atrocious. Late in the flight, the faucet in one of the toilets disintegrated. I alerted a flight attendant, who examined it, gave up on fixing it, and then walked away! I wrote a warning sign in English, and asked a more senior attendant to write a Chinese version. She did so, and agreed with me that locking the door was a good idea. That was a sound decision, because I later observed several fellow passengers waiting to use the toilet, oblivious to the clearly posted message! The choice of inflight entertainment was wide, and the maps were the best I have seen on an airplane.

Air China Customer review :  14 June 2014 by P Acheson (Canada)

Lhasa-Kathmandu. May 10, 2014. Inexplicably, instead of flying directly from Lhasa to Kathmandu, which would be a diagonal flight path, with Mount Everest to the left of the plane, we flew due south, then due west, and so I saw Everest from my window seat on the right of the plane. I had asked to change my seat to the left window, but was told that this was not possible, so I was glad that I got to see Everest after all! Otherwise, an OK flight. Nothing remarkably good or bad.

Air China Customer review :  5 June 2014 by B Tang (Hong Kong)

HKG-PEK-ARN / ARN-PEK-HKG. Surprisingly, no delays at all. Flight attendants were impolite. Lack of ground staff support at ARN. Seats were narrow and really uncomfortable. Economical with respect to fare.

Air China Customer review :  3 June 2014 by Venton David (UK)

Flew on May 3rd, LHR-PEK-NRT and return May 11th/12th, NRT-PEK-LGW. Flight CA938, LHR-PEK on 777-300ER excellent service from boarding to departure at Beijing. Boarded and departed on-time at LHR and meals and drinks service in Economy class were excellent and the cabin crew were very efficient and polite throughout. After disembarking at Beijing and transferring through the transfer formalities in 20 minutes, then boarded CA421 from PEK to NRT. A smaller aircraft A320 but still fantastic service and the added bonus of a full meal for this 3.5 hr flight. Once again cabin crew attentive and efficient and thoroughly enjoyable flight to arrive at Narita on time. Return flights were equally impressive, firstly an evening flight on CA168 from NRT to PEK on 737-800. Another good inflight meal and drinks, and service impeccable despite aircraft virtually full of Chinese tourists returning to Beijing. Arrived in Beijing at 9.45pm and after an even quicker transfer at Beijing, boarded flight CA861 to London Gatwick (LGW). A330-200ER. A rather strange departure time of 01.35 was slightly tempered by plane preparation which meant an 03.00 departure, however once on board this aircraft, the service was excellent once again. Inflight meals and drinks perfect and service once again impeccable, arrived at LGW at 07.52 feeling very refreshed. Air China are in my opinion are excellent and are excellent for value. It does help to speak some Chinese Mandarin, as I can, as the Cabin Crew do respond very well if you at least make some effort.

Air China Customer review :  2 June 2014 by Sawhney Swati (Canada)

Flew from YVR-PEK-DEL and return. Like most of us I had absolutely no idea how bad Air China was and so booked the tickets solely because of the low prices. Well after reading the dreadful reviews here I was terrified to go aboard but was pleasantly surprised that the flight was not half as bad. Well the food wasn't all that great but it was bearable. No hot drinks but there were plenty of cold ones in the galley. To be honest the seats were pretty comfortable and plenty of pillows and blankets were provided. I was kind of expecting them to not serve too many meals so was well prepared with my own. The crew was quite helpful, they weren't smiling much but weren't rude as such. I guess their lack of English makes them sound rude, they don't do it on purpose. Surprisingly Beijing airport staff was great too, I was with my 3 yr old daughter and they helped me at every point. To be honest the service was quite good considering the low tickets fare. When you travel with a child you hardly get time to watch any movies so I can't really comment on that but overall the flight was good. Wouldn't mind traveling with them again if the airfare is low.

Air China Customer review :  2 June 2014 by V Gorjanc (Slovenia)

Short domestic flight CA1832 from Shanghai to Beijing on a A330 was great. On time. Brand new aircraft, comfortable seats in economy class, on board service with warm meal (even with the choice of two different ones) and good choice of non-alcoholic beverages. Cabin crew very attentive and worked as a well-trained team. As a LH frequent traveller I had never experienced such high level of service on some of the European flights. Simply great experience. Will definitely use them on a next trip from Europe to China.

Air China Customer review :  28 May 2014 by Arthur Leung (Hong Kong)

Flew round trip HKG-PEK-LAX and IAH-PEK-HKG with them. First plane was delayed from Hong Kong to Beijing which caused us to miss the connecting flight. Ground crew were rude and incompetent in re-booking our ticket with long queues also just to find anyone. Cabin service was lacking in both legs of the flight with cold food. Beijing Airport itself is chaotic and terrible: long line just for transferring flight (through immigration), lack of any decent food option and shopping, lack of any crew for customer service when asking for directions. On return trip, I got a middle seat in 77W, seat is very cramped and unpleasant even for not a big guy (5'7" tall). Entertainment is very lacking in the AVOD system. Food is OK but some parts just plain look uneatable. Cabin crew are OK on the first leg of the flight with the normal service. The second leg is in the old 747-400 plane. I got the typical emotionless cabin crew with lack of any service after the normal drink/meal service. When asking for just a cup of water I got a reply of "do it yourself". Despite their relative cheaper price, never again for the bad experience. They have a long way to go.

Air China Customer review :  25 May 2014 by G Birman (France)

Unpleasant crew, it's like you are talking to a statue. The seats were dirty (fresh sticky stains) and pillows and blanket missing - asked them twice. Seats are small and the box for the media is occupying the quarter of the space for your feet (half if its broken). They didn't want us to move on an other seat reserved for the crew (10 free seats never occupied). My wife was pregnant and I told them but they don't care. Asked for some water (twice), never came - I think they got angry at us somehow. On the way back we asked for a larger seat (emergency exit) but they put us in the middle between two persons. I am not a difficult person but this company is just inhuman.

Air China Customer review :  25 May 2014 by P Hill (Australia)

Currently waiting in Air China lounge in Beijing, where the food is terrible and all the supposed "cold" drinks are warm. Flight has been delayed twice. Due to depart at 4.45pm now departing 8.40 no announcement, this after a 3 hour delay yesterday traveling from Guangzhou, where they loaded us and pushed back from the gate and sat there for 3 hours due to bad weather. Surely with all the technology available they know this before boarding us? I was traveling in business class which is far below most other airlines standards. Never again.

Air China Customer review :  25 May 2014 by Thierry Theodose (France)

CDG-PEK-TYO,TYO-PEK-CDG. Flight Attendants behave very rudely to passengers, have very poor English skills (even the most common words) barking at passengers when they "order" them to do something (put your seat in first position when landing for example). Don't expect them to bring you something after the meal was served (water for example). No choice with meals, but despite that no smile and they almost throw the meal at your face. The transfer in Beijing was the most unpleasant and horrible experience I've experienced. We had 1 hour only from our flight CDG-PEK to the other flight PEK-TYO. After passing the corridor when exiting the first plane (CDG-PEK) an attendant was present to ask whether we have a transfer. As we said "Tokyo in 1 hour' she said Hurry, hurry go! and pointed the direction where to go. But a huge queue of passengers was our destination, and among them some with a transfer for a flight 3 or 4 hours later. No Airport staffwas present to direct us. We had to apologize to other people to come before them as our flight was leaving in 30 minutes as time was passing and the officer did not dare to accelerate the process of immigration control (for a transit flight!). This queue was a joke as people in transfer had to face immigration control and security control just like they trip would stop in Beijing. All that passenger had already passed these different controls in the country of their departure. Then we had to run for 500 m with our bags to the gate were a bus was patiently waiting for us. TYO-PEK-CDG looked like the same, except that we had 2 hours for the transfer. Always security and immigration control with unpleasant and unhelpful officers, sure of the power they have to annoy cistomers. One officer even took the external hard drive of my friend in a suspicious way (he had all his pictures in it) making him almost believe that he would confiscate it. I cannot believe this airline takes part of Star Alliance with ANA, Lufthansa and others. Air China in 3 words : Incompetence, Inefficiency, carelessness.

Air China Customer review :  21 May 2014 by K Huang (USA)

Beijing to LAX and a number of minor run-ins that I didn't expect. The first annoyance was when I asked for a second bottle of water. The flight attendant replied with: Didn't I give you one earlier? The first bottle I received when I boarded the plane and I asked for the second bottle after I'd eaten my meal. Rather than bringing me a new bottle, she proceeded to fill up my empty water bottle. My second complaint was the breakfast. I slept past the breakfast time. When the flight attendant gave my breakfast after I woke up, it was cold dim sum. The flight attendant did not bother to heat up my food. My last occurred when I was about to fill out the customs declaration; I was given a choice between English and Chinese on the flight to Beijing, but the flight attendant made an assumption and gave me the Chinese one without asking. I've lived in the US for 30 years and would have preferred an English one over simplified Chinese. I never expected to face this kind of attitude and service from a first class flight attendant.

Air China Customer review :  20 May 2014 by Sinead Lynch (Australia)

Sydney to Rome return. My tv screen did not work. Asked staff several times could I move, and they just kept resetting it. Majority of the consoles did not work properly. Very poor movie and food choice. But the worst part by far was then they added a 3rd destination without our knowledge. Major confusion, increased because it was a domestic leg added. So had to check out of the airport and back in at both Beijing and Shangai. I tried calling their complaints department but conveniently you can only email and its been 2 weeks and no response.

Air China Customer review :  9 May 2014 by M Davis (USA)

SFO-PEK-MNL. The flights were better than expected based on past reviews I read. The food was fine and the kid's meal provided for my son was much appreciated. The FA's were not overly friendly but polite and efficient. I particularly liked the beverages made available in the galley. It was nice to be able to get up and get something to drink when needed. The FA's kept it well stocked with water, soda, tea and juices. The inflight entertainment could have been better. The movie & TV options in English were limited and aged. However, they still gave us something to do during the flight. The provided headsets were not very good but we brought our own for the long trip so it wasn't a problem for us. Overall, I was satisfied with Air China and appreciate the money saved when compared to other airline prices. For the value, I would consider flying with them again.

Air China Customer review :  9 May 2014 by F Pramana (Australia)

Booked Business for my wife and myself from Sydney to Beijing, Beijing - Munich, Paris - Shanghai and Shanghai - Sydney utilizing the 72 hours Visa free stopover in Beijing and Shanghai. We did the first leg from SYD-PEK. Flight is on Airbus A330-200. Seat is comfortable and it's genuinely a Flatbed 180 degrees with an ample leg space, comfortable pillow and quilt. Meals were served hot with a choice of Western and Chinese Dishes. The TV is large with plenty of movies. Cabin Crews were friendly and attentive, although some did not speak English well, they understood our requests. The Restroom was cleaned and wiped each time a passenger used it. Plane left on- time. On Arrival in Beijing the plane stopped on the Tarmac and a small bus was waiting just for the Business Class Passengers. After the arrival gate 2 ground staff members were holding our names and took our cabin bags and guided us to the Immigration Express Lane, then to pick up our luggage. Air China is now our preferred Airline.

Air China Customer review :  8 May 2014 by Velmonday Cerino (USA)

My flight from JFK New York to Beijing China was 14 hours long. I was pleasantly surprised that the quality of my requested dietary preference was excellent. The meal times also were appreciated because the cabin crew requested all passengers move their seats back to the upright position. I am 6 feet tall and when the seats recline the passenger in front of me ended up crushing my knees. The bathrooms were top notch. On a long flight I expected them to be a disaster, but they were always clean. The inflight entertainment was good and kept my kids busy when they were not eating or sleeping. Compared to other long flights I have been on before Air China better than I expected.

Air China Customer review :  2 May 2014 by Sandra Douglas (USA)

DEL-PEK-SFO. After great service at Delhi departure check-in it was downhill for the next 2 flights. None of the cabin crew spoke a word of English or Hindi, they were rude and unhelpful. Food was still frozen, coffee and tea were not served without a hassle. I booked for convenience of arrival time, and it was a mistake. I fly to India once a year and have flown many Asian airlines and they are excellent. When you have 21 hours on a plane you really do expect movie choices more recent than 1960's. I could deal with bad food, and no entertainment in a comfortable seat, but they should give the ones they have back to the bus they got them from.

Air China Customer review :  28 April 2014 by Martin Brandon (UK)

Hong Kong to London Heathrow connecting in Beijing. Multiple schedule changes prior to departure. Flight from Hong Kong to Beijing delayed - no explanation or apology. Flight form Beijing to London delayed by over an hour - no explanation or apology. Cabin crew had little and in some cases no English skills, and few if any manners. Wine ran out half way through the meal service, and tea and coffee was not offered afterwards. Films in English language consisted mostly of black and white offerings from the 1950s. Checked in luggage did not arrive at Heathrow and it took 3 days for it to be sent to my home. There is nothing good to say about this airline - its the worst national carrier I have ever travelled with.

Air China Customer review :  24 April 2014 by M Cavanagh (Australia)

HKG-PEK flew in Economy and did not expect that there would be inflight entertainment, but no headphones distributed. Luckily I had my own set. It was good that the broadcast was in Chinese through the right ear and English through the left. The service was good and the food was adequate.

Air China Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Fisher Paul (UK)

Flew from London Gatwick to Tokyo via Beijing. My 2 teenagers were a little apprehensive after reading some negative reviews, but were pleasantly surprised by the experience. Modern aircraft to Beijing with inflight entertainment and a Boeing 777 to Tokyo, with no entertainment console, but only a 3 hour flight. All flights left on time and the transfer through Beijing was relatively painless as all flights in same terminal. Meals were very good for airline fodder and plenty of them, along with water and drinks. Staff were well turned out and efficient, but as pointed out in another review, quite emotionless. A couple of smiles wouldn't go amiss! My only gripe, was the complexity of the inflight entertainment remote control. Took a bit of working out and couldn't get my daughters to work on the outbound journey. However, as travelling in economy goes, I would say Air China were one of my better experiences and would be happy to use them again.

Air China Customer review :  22 April 2014 by P Rogalski (Poland)

Beijing - Moscow, 2 weeks ago in Y class. The worst flying experience I have had. The aircraft was old and everything was outdated. I have never seen such a dirty plane: tray with dirt, ceiling splashed with food and coffee, food splashed on side wall, floor dirty, seat pocket full of debris inside, toilet not cleaned, sink and out of stock. The food was awful. The worst part of journey were the FAs. They were very rude, no smile, no English. They did the minimum during the whole flight. Never again.

Air China Customer review :  22 April 2014 by Rick Salzer (USA)

PEK-IAH, April 2014. First Class, 777/300. Flight departure time 3.00. My wife and I were at the gate 15 minutes before boarding and the pushing had already started. There was no sign for a first class line so both lines were 20 passengers long. When I finally got the attention of the gate agent she pointed to the front of a line. After boarding we took our seats 1L and 2L. We were served a drink and told we would be the only two in FC. Here is where it starts to go downhill fast. After take off we were served dinner. When I checked the menu on their web site it was supposed to be Australian Beef. They didn't know anything about that but they had a beef meal, the only Western choice. OK, I'll try it. Soup was cold so I sent it back and it came back cold. Now for the beef. It looked like pot roast with cold lumpy gravy. I sent it back and it came back exactly the same. Dessert was something round the size of a half dollar. Tasteless. Red wine was supposed to be French but I think it was Chinese brand Great Wall Wine. Not drinkable. The AVOD wasn't bad so I watched a movie and tried to sleep. Should be easy with only 2 of us in FC. Then crew moved to empty seats to sleep. Just when I thought I would fall asleep, the FA's started cooking in the FC galley. Banging dishes and glasses. The cooking smell went on for several hours. Arrival in Houston was a welcome relief. Priority tagged bags hit the belt about 10 minutes after the first bag. Air China has a long way to go to compete in the International market. They actually make United look great. I was using miles for this flight. I would have been more upset if I had paid for it. When I checked their web site FC one way PEK-IAH was $13.000. Hard to believe they operate this flight with limited English FA's and horrible food as a United codeshare.

Air China Customer review :  17 April 2014 by James Halley (China)

HKG-YVR via PEK and vv. I had been on some domestic flights with a number of Chinese carriers, none of which were anything to write home about. The flight out of HKG was an A321 and left on time. The e-ticket stated we would be served refreshments but they served a full lunch, accompanied by a few beers. Water runs followed until we reached PEK in good time for the connection to YVR. Transit visa desk and security were relatively painless although you cant help notice the overstaffing which we will put down to 'security'! The trans-pacific flights were more than simply acceptable especially as the flights weren't full. I like the seating layout of the A330 which allows for better sleeping as there is no third person wanting to get into the aisle for whatever reason. The final flight from PEK to HKG was actually operated by an Air Macau aircraft and crew. An 321 and it got us safely back to HKG on time. Good trip with CA overall and I would certainly not hesitate to use them again if the price is right. FAs emotionless but weren't rude!

Air China Customer review :  16 April 2014 by B Moates (UK)

I booked a return trip from London to Manila via Beijing due to the flight price and we had a stopover for 2 days in Beijing. Having read some comments I was not expecting the most comfortable flight. However, I was pleasantly surprised. All our flights were on time and the planes were clean and the seats were comfortable. The inflight entertainment was ok on the London - Beijing route as there was a good selection of films / programmes. The only negative points of our flights were the boarding of the plane at Heathrow which could have been organised better and the quality of some of the food could be improved. The staff could have also provided more drinks for a long flight. However, overall this was a good value for money experience.

Air China Customer review :  11 April 2014 by L Cantu (USA)

I often fly between Houston and Beijing on Air China's nonstop flights 995 and 996. Overall, I like their service. Aircraft's are new and clean. Flight attendants provide good service. The food is not bad as airplane cuisine goes. On a recent flight from Houston to Beijing, we were 2 hours late departing Houston. The aircraft had pushed back more or less on time (shortly after 1am) but then we taxied out into the darkness and just sat. We sat and sat and sat some more. Eventually a tow truck came out, hooked up to the aircraft and pushed it back a few feet. Then the tow truck pulled the aircraft forward a few feet. Then pushed it back. Then pulled it forward. This went on for the longest time. There was no explanation given by the pilot. No comments given by the flight attendants. It eventually became clear that the tow truck was getting the plane turned around. Apparently the pilot had taxied the aircraft into some kind of dead-end where we were trapped and could not turn around without the help of the tow truck and the spotters. Once the plane was turned around, we taxied out to the proper runway and finally took off. The flight crew disabled the flight progress display. Maybe they thought that would prevent anyone from noticing that we were two hours behind schedule. There were no apologies or even an acknowledgement that anything had gone wrong. The lack of transparency and honesty with their customers cost Air China dearly in my opinion of them. From conversations among passengers after we landed in Beijing, I was clearly not alone in feeling disgusted about being treated by Air China as if I were blind and stupid.

Air China Customer review :  9 April 2014 by R Vane (Australia)

I was a bit hesitant due to mixed reviews of this airline . I traveled from Sydney to Beijing return and was very happy with the airline. There seemed to be great leg room and the food was really good, especially comparing it to the food I ate while in China which was a very low standard much to my disappointment. There was a good choice on the inflight entertainment but don't travel at night as the Chinese nationals on this flight kept up the talking and noise through out the wee hours of the morning making sleep impossible, something I have not found travelling to other countries. They sprayed the flight on the way back into Sydney with some sort of insect spray, which is something I have not encountered before, but maybe this happens on all airlines from China? It would be a problem if you were sensitive to chemicals.

Air China Customer review :  2 April 2014 by R Jones (USA)

Business class from PEK to BKK was a solid flight, but I'd suggest eating before you board. The food had an odd aroma, as did the damp hand towels that were kindly offered before the meal. The champagne was okay although it was served in a thimble sized glass, the fruit was sweet, and the rice was positively offensive. How can rice be bad? Not too sure what was wrong with it, but it wasn't edible. The flight attendants were observant and wanting to please, but everything was done without any smiles. Perhaps that's a cultural thing. Bathrooms were spotless, as was the plane. The seats were super comfortable, perhaps more comfortable than United Global First seats apart from the slightly restricted foot space. It was interesting that they didn't offer seat back monitors, but they did offer individual iPads. The lounge was comfortable and offered limited food selections. Apart from the dismal food and the lack of entertainment, Air China provides a very good product.

Air China Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Hoffmann Alexander (Germany)

Moscow-PEK-HKG in business class. First time on CA biz class. Was a bit hesitant due to very different reviews here. Have to say that I was pleasantly surprised about the whole experience. New biz product is great. One of the most comfortable biz seats ever experienced. comfortable in any sleeping position. Some airlines compromise in terms of width or length of seat, not CA. Only negative is the lack of a screen on Moscow-PEK route. CA provides tablet but unfortunately mostly Asian/Chinese movies. Food is decent so is service - friendly but not overly attentive. Would definitely fly them again if price is competitive.

Air China Customer review :  28 March 2014 by L Peters (Canada)

I flew YVR-PEK-MNL and return in March 2014. The airline was better than I expected. The check-in was excellent in Vancouver and Manila, fast and efficient. All aircraft's left and arrived on time. The food was good, but not excellent. Cabin service was okay, the only downside was the staff never smiled. The entertainment was also good. All in all, when the low price of the trip is considered, the trip was good. I would recommend Air China.

Air China Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Dennis Blank (USA)

Flew Sep 2013, LAX-PEK-BKK. Id chosen Air China strictly on price and was a little apprehensive. However, everything from check-in on was up to international travel standards. The flight was no better or worse than other transpacific trips I'd taken in recent years on more highly regarded carriers. Food was OK and in-flight service was just fine. The coach seats were considerably more comfy than those on the Cathay Pacific flight I'd taken a year earlier. Because it is very geared to Chinese travelers, I could see why someone might find the in-flight entertainment lacking. Available English language movie selection was a bit dated and odd and included a fair number of Westerns from the 50s and 60s. While flying CA is not bad at all, transiting in the Beijing airport is another matter entirely. Before proceeding on to the connecting flight, we queued up in a pretty long line for the thinly staffed Chinese immigration desk to stamp us into China. We were then channelled into the airports general security line for re-entry into the airports departure gate area. Very frustrating and very time consuming. I'd be reluctant to take any flight where there is a transfer in PEK. If you have a tight connection, you are not going to make it. Bottom line: if the ticket price is attractive and there was ample time between connecting flights in PEK, I would not hesitate to fly CA again.

Air China Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Linda Freeman (Canada)

Just returned March 11 from Beijing to New York. The plane was brand new and although it was a 14 hour flight, my husband (6 ft 2) and I were very comfortable. Flight attendants were friendly and if one didn't know English very well, they would find another attendant to help. Lots of food, wine and beer served, then during the night it was self serve for cold drinks and snacks. Few lineups for the bathroom. Smooth flight from New York to Beijing, then we flew 5 days later to Shanghai. Returned to Beijing airport 3 days later and flew back to New York JFK. Beijing airport is huge but we had no problem getting around and checking in for all flights. Great value for the money.

Air China Customer review :  13 March 2014 by R Lillyman (UK)

Economy return trip from UK to Manila via Beijing. Overall we were very impressed and it is on a par with other airlines. All flights were on time and none were full to capacity. The food was standard although no hot drinks served. All cabin crew were very helpful. We could not check-in online (machine not working) and had difficulty with the automatic machines at Heathrow which accepted only one of our passports. The queues at the check in at Manilla on the return flight were extensive and although not vast numbers were flying we were still waiting in line for about an hour, as so few check-in kiosks open. Beijing is a very large airport, but times passing through security etc is very slow. One lady (by herself) was operating the X-Ray machine and she was also manually checking everything in the hand luggage she wanted to query. She was very thorough, but it caused long delays. We had only just enough time to get our connection (final boarding) - which was 90 minutes. On the outward flight we had 8 hours to kill at Beijing Airport. In the evening the shops seem to shut, but we did find some recliner chairs which afforded us the opportunity for rest.

Air China Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Morgan David (UK)

Recently flew LHR-PEK-HKG and return. Transfers at Beijing were a joke, worst organisation I have ever seen with many people missing their connections. Knowing the tight schedule luggage was not loaded onto the LHR flight, meaning people like me who pushed to the front of the queue had no luggage on arrival. Staff at Beijing were rude, uncooperative and didn't seem to care about the situation.

Air China Customer review :  7 March 2014 by Max Johnson (Canada)

LHR-PEK, Boeing 777. All in all a superb flight, starting with access to the Singapore Airlines First Class lounge at Heathrow. On board the cabin was immaculate, and the suites in First very private; the flight attendant was attentive, and while there was some small language issues, she was extremely accommodating, and ensured a fine trip., The food was good, but not great, the wines fine and there was a good selection of movies on the IFE system. All in all a product that I highly recommend, and will happily travel with Air China in the future.

Air China Customer review :  6 March 2014 by R Powell (USA)

Feb 10, return on 28th.CA986 and CA179 for the flights out and CA180 and CA985 for the return. Held in the plane on the tarmac for 5 hours while repairs were made. Old plane still had ash trays. Customer service was horrible but that could be a cultural issue. Multiple complications, arrived late in China, missed connecting flight to the Philippines. Coming back was a little better with a nicer plane and a little better customer service. Still had complications on the return flight and issues still unresolved by Air China. Overall in price I saved $200 per ticket, but I would rather pay $200 more and avoid all the misfortunes of this journey with using Air China.

Air China Customer review :  14 February 2014 by P Wu (Sweden)

I flew from Stockholm Arlanda to Wuhan, China with a transit in Beijing. It was an 8 hour flight from Stockholm to Beijing. The flight crew had a rather bad manner towards economy class customers, the crew was impatient, spoke terrible English, and speak Chinese directly to customers. They don't serve wine until it's time to eat. I was sitting only two rows away from a couple who brought their two young kids, one of which cried for over 4 hours during the flight. Not single staff member showed up to comfort the baby. Air china lost my luggage in Beijing while I made it to Wuhan. I have to fly again to another city in two days, without luggage, I guess.

Air China Customer review :  30 January 2014 by D Grosvenor (USA)

I flew from PEK to LAX in Business class on the newer aircraft and seat was basically lie flat. No issues with that flight. Check-in time was much nicer at 7pm since not at 7am or earlier like USA based airlines. On the way back I was from SFO to PEK on an older 747 but I asked for row 83 at the gate (they block it since it is an exit row) and I got it. I still love the peace and quiet afforded to the upstairs passenger by the 747. This is since the economy and crying babies are one level lower. Only a few passengers up there so I had a flight attendant pretty much to myself. Got all the drinks I desired and a double meal of the Salmon. It was so flavorful. The entertainment system truly needs to be like Cathay Pacific as right now it is just not enough movies that are in English and newer. The best part is they did a few announcements at the beginning of the flight and then remained quiet for the rest pretty much. I wish the entertainment system had an ability to not break-off for PA in a language that was not your own. Overall I would say Air china ok for business class. My next trip might be in their Economy and I bet I will not be as happy.

Air China Customer review :  30 January 2014 by S Feming (USA)

New York to PEK to Chengdu. Plane was clean and attendants were all friendly and polite. I found the food surprisingly good for "airline food". While I was in the economy class, I never felt like my needs were unimportant. Some attendants did not speak English well. But they certainly did their best and always smiled and figured out what I was asking or needed, and I must say, their English is far better than my "Chinese". Good job Air China, I hope to fly with you again.