Air China Passenger Reviews and Air China Customer Trip Reports

Air China Customer review :  17 April 2014 by James Halley (China)

HKG-YVR via PEK and vv. I had been on some domestic flights with a number of Chinese carriers, none of which were anything to write home about. The flight out of HKG was an A321 and left on time. The e-ticket stated we would be served refreshments but they served a full lunch, accompanied by a few beers. Water runs followed until we reached PEK in good time for the connection to YVR. Transit visa desk and security were relatively painless although you cant help notice the overstaffing which we will put down to 'security'! The trans-pacific flights were more than simply acceptable especially as the flights weren't full. I like the seating layout of the A330 which allows for better sleeping as there is no third person wanting to get into the aisle for whatever reason. The final flight from PEK to HKG was actually operated by an Air Macau aircraft and crew. An 321 and it got us safely back to HKG on time. Good trip with CA overall and I would certainly not hesitate to use them again if the price is right. FAs emotionless but weren't rude!

Air China Customer review :  16 April 2014 by B Moates (UK)

I booked a return trip from London to Manila via Beijing due to the flight price and we had a stopover for 2 days in Beijing. Having read some comments I was not expecting the most comfortable flight. However, I was pleasantly surprised. All our flights were on time and the planes were clean and the seats were comfortable. The inflight entertainment was ok on the London - Beijing route as there was a good selection of films / programmes. The only negative points of our flights were the boarding of the plane at Heathrow which could have been organised better and the quality of some of the food could be improved. The staff could have also provided more drinks for a long flight. However, overall this was a good value for money experience.

Air China Customer review :  11 April 2014 by L Cantu (USA)

I often fly between Houston and Beijing on Air China's nonstop flights 995 and 996. Overall, I like their service. Aircraft's are new and clean. Flight attendants provide good service. The food is not bad as airplane cuisine goes. On a recent flight from Houston to Beijing, we were 2 hours late departing Houston. The aircraft had pushed back more or less on time (shortly after 1am) but then we taxied out into the darkness and just sat. We sat and sat and sat some more. Eventually a tow truck came out, hooked up to the aircraft and pushed it back a few feet. Then the tow truck pulled the aircraft forward a few feet. Then pushed it back. Then pulled it forward. This went on for the longest time. There was no explanation given by the pilot. No comments given by the flight attendants. It eventually became clear that the tow truck was getting the plane turned around. Apparently the pilot had taxied the aircraft into some kind of dead-end where we were trapped and could not turn around without the help of the tow truck and the spotters. Once the plane was turned around, we taxied out to the proper runway and finally took off. The flight crew disabled the flight progress display. Maybe they thought that would prevent anyone from noticing that we were two hours behind schedule. There were no apologies or even an acknowledgement that anything had gone wrong. The lack of transparency and honesty with their customers cost Air China dearly in my opinion of them. From conversations among passengers after we landed in Beijing, I was clearly not alone in feeling disgusted about being treated by Air China as if I were blind and stupid.

Air China Customer review :  9 April 2014 by R Vane (Australia)

I was a bit hesitant due to mixed reviews of this airline . I traveled from Sydney to Beijing return and was very happy with the airline. There seemed to be great leg room and the food was really good, especially comparing it to the food I ate while in China which was a very low standard much to my disappointment. There was a good choice on the inflight entertainment but don't travel at night as the Chinese nationals on this flight kept up the talking and noise through out the wee hours of the morning making sleep impossible, something I have not found travelling to other countries. They sprayed the flight on the way back into Sydney with some sort of insect spray, which is something I have not encountered before, but maybe this happens on all airlines from China? It would be a problem if you were sensitive to chemicals.

Air China Customer review :  2 April 2014 by R Jones (USA)

Business class from PEK to BKK was a solid flight, but I'd suggest eating before you board. The food had an odd aroma, as did the damp hand towels that were kindly offered before the meal. The champagne was okay although it was served in a thimble sized glass, the fruit was sweet, and the rice was positively offensive. How can rice be bad? Not too sure what was wrong with it, but it wasn't edible. The flight attendants were observant and wanting to please, but everything was done without any smiles. Perhaps that's a cultural thing. Bathrooms were spotless, as was the plane. The seats were super comfortable, perhaps more comfortable than United Global First seats apart from the slightly restricted foot space. It was interesting that they didn't offer seat back monitors, but they did offer individual iPads. The lounge was comfortable and offered limited food selections. Apart from the dismal food and the lack of entertainment, Air China provides a very good product.

Air China Customer review :  1 April 2014 by Hoffmann Alexander (Germany)

Moscow-PEK-HKG in business class. First time on CA biz class. Was a bit hesitant due to very different reviews here. Have to say that I was pleasantly surprised about the whole experience. New biz product is great. One of the most comfortable biz seats ever experienced. comfortable in any sleeping position. Some airlines compromise in terms of width or length of seat, not CA. Only negative is the lack of a screen on Moscow-PEK route. CA provides tablet but unfortunately mostly Asian/Chinese movies. Food is decent so is service - friendly but not overly attentive. Would definitely fly them again if price is competitive.

Air China Customer review :  28 March 2014 by L Peters (Canada)

I flew YVR-PEK-MNL and return in March 2014. The airline was better than I expected. The check-in was excellent in Vancouver and Manila, fast and efficient. All aircraft's left and arrived on time. The food was good, but not excellent. Cabin service was okay, the only downside was the staff never smiled. The entertainment was also good. All in all, when the low price of the trip is considered, the trip was good. I would recommend Air China.

Air China Customer review :  24 March 2014 by Dennis Blank (USA)

Flew Sep 2013, LAX-PEK-BKK. Id chosen Air China strictly on price and was a little apprehensive. However, everything from check-in on was up to international travel standards. The flight was no better or worse than other transpacific trips I'd taken in recent years on more highly regarded carriers. Food was OK and in-flight service was just fine. The coach seats were considerably more comfy than those on the Cathay Pacific flight I'd taken a year earlier. Because it is very geared to Chinese travelers, I could see why someone might find the in-flight entertainment lacking. Available English language movie selection was a bit dated and odd and included a fair number of Westerns from the 50s and 60s. While flying CA is not bad at all, transiting in the Beijing airport is another matter entirely. Before proceeding on to the connecting flight, we queued up in a pretty long line for the thinly staffed Chinese immigration desk to stamp us into China. We were then channelled into the airports general security line for re-entry into the airports departure gate area. Very frustrating and very time consuming. I'd be reluctant to take any flight where there is a transfer in PEK. If you have a tight connection, you are not going to make it. Bottom line: if the ticket price is attractive and there was ample time between connecting flights in PEK, I would not hesitate to fly CA again.

Air China Customer review :  22 March 2014 by Linda Freeman (Canada)

Just returned March 11 from Beijing to New York. The plane was brand new and although it was a 14 hour flight, my husband (6 ft 2) and I were very comfortable. Flight attendants were friendly and if one didn't know English very well, they would find another attendant to help. Lots of food, wine and beer served, then during the night it was self serve for cold drinks and snacks. Few lineups for the bathroom. Smooth flight from New York to Beijing, then we flew 5 days later to Shanghai. Returned to Beijing airport 3 days later and flew back to New York JFK. Beijing airport is huge but we had no problem getting around and checking in for all flights. Great value for the money.

Air China Customer review :  13 March 2014 by R Lillyman (UK)

Economy return trip from UK to Manila via Beijing. Overall we were very impressed and it is on a par with other airlines. All flights were on time and none were full to capacity. The food was standard although no hot drinks served. All cabin crew were very helpful. We could not check-in online (machine not working) and had difficulty with the automatic machines at Heathrow which accepted only one of our passports. The queues at the check in at Manilla on the return flight were extensive and although not vast numbers were flying we were still waiting in line for about an hour, as so few check-in kiosks open. Beijing is a very large airport, but times passing through security etc is very slow. One lady (by herself) was operating the X-Ray machine and she was also manually checking everything in the hand luggage she wanted to query. She was very thorough, but it caused long delays. We had only just enough time to get our connection (final boarding) - which was 90 minutes. On the outward flight we had 8 hours to kill at Beijing Airport. In the evening the shops seem to shut, but we did find some recliner chairs which afforded us the opportunity for rest.

Air China Customer review :  12 March 2014 by Morgan David (UK)

Recently flew LHR-PEK-HKG and return. Transfers at Beijing were a joke, worst organisation I have ever seen with many people missing their connections. Knowing the tight schedule luggage was not loaded onto the LHR flight, meaning people like me who pushed to the front of the queue had no luggage on arrival. Staff at Beijing were rude, uncooperative and didn't seem to care about the situation.

Air China Customer review :  7 March 2014 by Max Johnson (Canada)

LHR-PEK, Boeing 777. All in all a superb flight, starting with access to the Singapore Airlines First Class lounge at Heathrow. On board the cabin was immaculate, and the suites in First very private; the flight attendant was attentive, and while there was some small language issues, she was extremely accommodating, and ensured a fine trip., The food was good, but not great, the wines fine and there was a good selection of movies on the IFE system. All in all a product that I highly recommend, and will happily travel with Air China in the future.

Air China Customer review :  6 March 2014 by R Powell (USA)

Feb 10, return on 28th.CA986 and CA179 for the flights out and CA180 and CA985 for the return. Held in the plane on the tarmac for 5 hours while repairs were made. Old plane still had ash trays. Customer service was horrible but that could be a cultural issue. Multiple complications, arrived late in China, missed connecting flight to the Philippines. Coming back was a little better with a nicer plane and a little better customer service. Still had complications on the return flight and issues still unresolved by Air China. Overall in price I saved $200 per ticket, but I would rather pay $200 more and avoid all the misfortunes of this journey with using Air China.

Air China Customer review :  14 February 2014 by P Wu (Sweden)

I flew from Stockholm Arlanda to Wuhan, China with a transit in Beijing. It was an 8 hour flight from Stockholm to Beijing. The flight crew had a rather bad manner towards economy class customers, the crew was impatient, spoke terrible English, and speak Chinese directly to customers. They don't serve wine until it's time to eat. I was sitting only two rows away from a couple who brought their two young kids, one of which cried for over 4 hours during the flight. Not single staff member showed up to comfort the baby. Air china lost my luggage in Beijing while I made it to Wuhan. I have to fly again to another city in two days, without luggage, I guess.

Air China Customer review :  30 January 2014 by D Grosvenor (USA)

I flew from PEK to LAX in Business class on the newer aircraft and seat was basically lie flat. No issues with that flight. Check-in time was much nicer at 7pm since not at 7am or earlier like USA based airlines. On the way back I was from SFO to PEK on an older 747 but I asked for row 83 at the gate (they block it since it is an exit row) and I got it. I still love the peace and quiet afforded to the upstairs passenger by the 747. This is since the economy and crying babies are one level lower. Only a few passengers up there so I had a flight attendant pretty much to myself. Got all the drinks I desired and a double meal of the Salmon. It was so flavorful. The entertainment system truly needs to be like Cathay Pacific as right now it is just not enough movies that are in English and newer. The best part is they did a few announcements at the beginning of the flight and then remained quiet for the rest pretty much. I wish the entertainment system had an ability to not break-off for PA in a language that was not your own. Overall I would say Air china ok for business class. My next trip might be in their Economy and I bet I will not be as happy.

Air China Customer review :  30 January 2014 by S Feming (USA)

New York to PEK to Chengdu. Plane was clean and attendants were all friendly and polite. I found the food surprisingly good for "airline food". While I was in the economy class, I never felt like my needs were unimportant. Some attendants did not speak English well. But they certainly did their best and always smiled and figured out what I was asking or needed, and I must say, their English is far better than my "Chinese". Good job Air China, I hope to fly with you again.