Air China Passenger Reviews and Air China Customer Trip Reports

Air China Customer review :  9 September 2013 by R Young (Australia)

First Class Beijing to Nanjing in 737-800 and my first flight with Air China. Check in fast, priority security queue, lounge very pleasant with nice wine but a surly staff member pouring it, "battery car" to the gate so could board last in a leisurely way was a nice touch. Long taxi, flight itself was fine once in the air. Wine not great as great in the air as in the lounge and no entertainment but hardly needed for a 1 hour 40 minute flight (+30 minute taxi). Staff friendly and cabin OK but a bit tired. Luggage delivered quickly to "red carpet" rather than the carousel was a nice touch. Better that most domestic Star Alliance carrier First or Business flights I have had recently in Europe or the America's.

Air China Customer review :  4 September 2013 by Antonio Venditti (Australia)

MEL-FCO return. If you are a business traveller and you have to be somewhere on time, choose another airline as Air China has a tendency of running late. Other than this, Air China was compatible to many other airlines I've flown with. Staff were extremely efficient, food was tasty except when flying out of China. IFE was good with a mixture of international movies, seats were comfortable and in excellent condition, toilets were always clean and the plane spotless. Consistency of Air Chinas services are an issue eg: food out of china does not compare with the quality of that of Australia's. The drinks are sometimes served on the warmer side. All considered, I found Air China to be good value.

Air China Customer review :  3 September 2013 by M Horton (USA)

Ulan Bator - Beijing - San Francisco on July 28 and 29. Ten hours late leaving UB due to weather that didn't affect any of the other airlines that arrived and departed in the ten hour time span. Dumped in Beijing with no hotel as promised or staff and spent the next 16 hours sitting on luggage that they wouldn't check through. Finally checking in on the 29th and had to fight for a seat. No honesty, no service, no respect. Won't fly Air China again.

Air China Customer review :  3 September 2013 by Antonio Venditti (Australia)

MEL-FCO return. If you are a business traveller and you have to be somewhere on time, choose another airline as Air China has a tendency of running late. Staff were extremely efficient, food was tasty except when flying out of China, IFE was good with a mixture of international movies, seats were comfortable and in excellent condition, toilets were always clean and the plane spotless. Consistency of Air Chinas service are an issue: food out of China does not compare with the quality of that of Australia's. Also, the drinks are sometimes served on the warmer side. All considered, I found Air China to be good value.

Air China Customer review :  2 September 2013 by D Gill (Canada)

YVR-PEK-DEL return. I did this trip twice and I am surprised that Air China has a 4 star ranking. It is cheap, and that explains everything, bad service, bad food, old planes and non existent IFE. There was no inflight entertainment between PEK and DEL. Soon after the meal they shove a wrapped sandwich in your hand as a snack for later on. Air China did it to us twice and it is a common practice, as we found out from other people, that they cancel or delay a flight and pile up passengers in one plane. The result is chaos in PEK. I fly frequently and my experience was the worst. First time I flew with them because of price and second time because I had to book a seat very late and could not find another airline. Regarding food, I do not think that Air China realises that there are people of other cultures fly with them. Same is true about hotels in Beijing. You get to eat Chinese food or no food.

Air China Customer review :  28 August 2013 by S Verma (India)

Uncomfortable seat on a flight between Delhi to Peking (and then again upon return). No in-flight entertainment. Very bad food. Staff courtesy below par. For me, the Delhi-Peking leg is a difficult flight starting 0315 and reaching 1230 next day especially on a crowded flight carrying PAX traveling long distances connecting for different destinations again at Peking. All apart, really cannot understand why the food should be so bad especially since the Chinese cuisine/food is so good. Even if they are adjusting tastes for international passengers their standard meals should be better, not something that's unfit to be served!

Air China Customer review :  27 August 2013 by R DiResta (USA)

PEK-SFO. No seat back entertainment, terrible food, hot temps and poor airflow, no ability to control temperature. Old seats. Old plane. No English or bilingual reading material. Rude staff. Obsession with mobile phones even in airplane mode while flying, not during takeoff/landing. Never, never again. Greyhound buses have better amenities.

Air China Customer review :  20 August 2013 by Elias Farah (France)

DXB-PEK / PEK-DXB with Air China's A330. Seats weren't comfortable with very bad legroom. Almost no English movies, they were all in Chinese. Flight attendants weren't nice, with no smile. When we left the aircraft they weren't at the door thanking us and wishing us a good day. The food wasn't good and only a small quantity. This was my first and last time with Air China.

Air China Customer review :  16 August 2013 by B McLaughlin (Australia)

Hohhot-Beijing. Delayed 3 hours before boarding. Initially, told we'd be delayed 15 minutes, then were told we'd be delayed "for a while". For the second and third hours, we were told that the delay was because of dangerous weather on the route. This would have been a lot more believable if we hadn't seen several other flights to Beijing depart during the same period. I know flights are going to be delayed, especially into and out of Beijing, but the airlines need to be straight with us about what was happening. We boarded 3 hours late, pushed back, and were then told we'd have to wait another 15 minutes - it turned out to be 45 minutes - before we could take off. The flight itself was fine - 45 minutes in a new, clean 737 with polite service. But the delays would be a lot more bearable if they'd tell us what's going on.

Air China Customer review :  15 August 2013 by R Toral (Thailand)

Bangkok to JFK out of necessity rather than choice. I typically fly business but could not justify the price especially after reading the reviews. My decision was justified. Bangkok to JFK leg was not as bad as I expected, but the food quality, service and entertainment were substandard when measured against other Star Alliance carriers. (I am a Star Alliance Gold Member). The nightmare was the return trip. Upon arriving to JFK I was informed that I would miss my connection from Beijing to Bangkok because the flight was delayed and I was ticketed on the next available flight which required me spending the night in Beijing at Air China's expenses. When I landed there was no CA agent at the gate to help direct you. Second, the transfer desk personnel could not provide clear instructions of what to do and several of us spent 1.5 hrs going through a maze trying to find someone who could direct us properly. Took almost 2 hours to get us to the hotel. Upon arriving to Bangkok my bag was lost and 36 hours later I am still waiting. A disappointing experience and no value for money.

Air China Customer review :  15 August 2013 by S Tang (Germany)

Hong Kong - Beijing - Munich. Sat for 2 hours in the boarding lounge, then 3 hours inside the plane in HK to finally hear that our flight was cancelled. Spent one night in HK and when back at the airport early morning we got a new route: Beijing - Frankfurt - Munich. Arrived in Beijing, flight to Frankfurt was fully booked and there were no more flights available that day. Queued at the ticketing counter for 2 hours and had a new route: Beijing - London - Munich, having the last part of the journey by Lufthansa. After issuing hand written paper tickets we spent another 2 hours waiting for baggage and shuttle bus to hotel. Spent one night in Beijing and the next day, we finally took off to London. Long distance flight was ok: flight attendants don't really know the meaning of customer service and the food was reflecting Chinese cuisine very poorly. In London we were not booked onto the flight to Munich! The lady at the ticketing counter in London was very understanding (Lufthansa) and she put us on to the next flight to Munich. Arrived in Munich 2 nights and 3 days later than initially planned, and our last surprise, one piece of checked in luggage went missing. Conclusion: Air China is a cheap airline and this reflects on how they handle passengers.

Air China Customer review :  14 August 2013 by D Pattinson (Australia)

SYD-PEK, Aug 2013. Flight was shown as non-stop from Sydney to Beijing which was the main reason for choosing Air China, but we stopped over in Shanghai where we were required to clear customs and re-board the (same) plane. Return was non-stop as advertised. Really not enough legroom for a long-haul. Crew were polite but not friendly. Flight was smooth, but fasten seatbelts was on most of the time as the pilot announced (non-existent) turbulence. As a consequence of the non-existent turbulence, the cabin crew stopped their service and were not available for 80% of the flight - it seemed as if this was intentional. Wouldn't go on Air China again.

Air China Customer review :  7 August 2013 by David Harrison (Australia)

MEL-PVG-LHR-PEK-PVG-MELin J Class. PVG-LHR was code-share using Virgin so won't comment on that. CA178 was my first long-haul with CA. Mostly it was a pleasant trip with good service. A330 was in good condition. A few scuff marks at feet level. Bathrooms were clean throughout. Captain spoke excellent English, and FA announcements were clear English. Requests to FAs were mostly understood. Service when the call button was pressed was very prompt. Meals were fine. Presentation was a bit naff, but food OK. The seat was good, the design made me think of J in Lufthansa. I worked the whole trip so didn't try it as a bed. Access to the power point and headphone socket was fiddly, under an armrest. The overhead light was not accurately aimed at the table. Amenity pack was OK. Mostly working so not much time for AVOD. Video feed quality was excellent. Headphones not noise cancelling, but adequate. LHR-PEK - Departed on time. Good quality pyjamas provided, and the bed comfortable. Blanket a bit on the small size. Meal service was fine. Choice of movies was OK. Headphones were very good, with noise cancellation. PEK-MEL - First time trying PEK as a transit. Not good. Arrived in T3. After walking about a kilometre, reached the transit desk. Half an hour later I was through. Had to take the train, then finally get to the domestic lounge. Was called to the gate but stood for 45 minutes waiting for the bus to the plane. Plane to Melbourne was via Pudong. Lunch was OK, then arrived at PVG. A man with a flag rounded up all the MEL pax and herded us to the baggage claim area, then to immigration. Bit of a queue there. So after about a 750m walk, arrived back at the same gate, same plane. All in all, I came away with perception of 4 star service for the air portion. 2 stars for the transit service at PEK, maybe 2.5 stars for transit at PVG. A pity, because Air China itself was fine.

Air China Customer review :  5 August 2013 by Gael Dufoyet (France)

CDG-Beijing / Shanghai-CDG. First class on the way out, business class on the return. Check-in at CDG was smooth and Air China own staff greeted each first class passenger and was escorted to the passport check area. The star alliance lounge has friendly staff but pathetic choice of food and tired facilities. On board, the seat was comfortable and turned into a bed. It was however like a Turkish Airlines long haul business class seat but with more privacy. Male flight attendant was very kind and nice but definitely needs a touch up on grooming while female flight attendants were immaculate in grooming but need a brush up on service skills. Bizarre meal combination with Chinese spicy chicken and prawn served with Risotto. Whole service lacks refinement and sophistication of other airlines but very efficient. Return check in at Pudong was fast and friendly. Did not have time to visit their lounge. Flight was operated by an old A330 but still with a seat that turns into a full flat bed. Did not eat and slept for a good 8 hours. Cabin crew on this sector were all attentive and very friendly. English did not seem to be a problem on the flights I took as others experienced. Inflight entertainment has a lot of choices but has a strong focus on Asian / Chinese speakers.

Air China Customer review :  5 August 2013 by M Sockel (Australia)

SYD-PDG-MXP-PEK-SYD. Original flight cancelled. Offered to fly 2 days earlier or 2 days later. The flight over was in a very old example of an A330. The delay on the "media" system was about 30-40 seconds per touch instruction. The "food" was inedible. Flying through Shanghai I could not check my luggage through to Milan but had to collect it and go through customs and Quarantine and Re-check in. Shanghai Airport was not air conditioned during my 6.5 hours layover. I had to carry my luggage with me as I could not re-check-in outside 2.5 hours before departure. Contrary to my expectations , my luggage arrived at the same time I did. If you have a choice, fly with other airlines.