Air China Passenger Reviews and Air China Customer Trip Reports

Air China Customer review :  12 November 2013 by T Skelhon (UK)

London Heathrow to Hong Kong via Beijing, one month round trip. Flights left pretty much on time, nice planes with good food and great entertainment on the long haul LHR to PEK flight - individual entertainment systems. Aircraft were modern. Wide range of refreshments including Chinese beer and wine on both connecting flights. Small issue with return ticket (as PEK - LGW service had been stopped after I purchased), was easily rectified at Hong Kong check in - desk staff spoke good enough English. Point to note: confirm any schedule changes that are sent to you by phone for ease of mind.

Air China Customer review :  10 November 2013 by W Nichols (USA)

LAX to Beijing to Hong Kong and back to LAX. The staff is mean to you if you are a westerner. The food is terrible - it reminds me of the food you would get on airlines in the 1990s. With every meal they would give you a tea cup but not offer you any tea so the cup just gets in the way while you are eating. The inflight entertainment is very poor, some of them don't work at all and sometimes you don't even get any. The staff English skills are lacking terribly to the point that they might as well just speak to you in Chinese. I cannot stress enough how mean they are they are to westerners.

Air China Customer review :  4 November 2013 by Richard Harris (UK)

Flew from London Heathrow to Beijing on a weekend, late afternoon flight. Wasn't particularly looking forward to it given some of the other reviews but the plane was fairly new and clean, the in-flight entertainment system was fine (on demand, personal seat selection, with plenty of choice in English). The food was reasonable enough and the customer service at check-in and prior to that when I rang up to request seats together for three of us, was good. Bit of an attempted scrum on to the slightly delayed plane but all-in-all this was much better than I had expected and up to the standard of other Star Alliance members. I'd still prefer to travel with British Airways, and would pay more to do so, but, to be honest, Air China weren't far away in terms of what they offer (though a bit more wine wouldn't go amiss).

Air China Customer review :  4 October 2013 by E Noyer (USA)

SFO to PEK in late August 2013. Plane was a 747 Combi. The plane had no entertainment system for a 15 hour flight with no entertainment system. There is a single screen at the front of economy and the entertainment (in Chinese) consisted of what appeared to be 30 second commercials. Late leaving, mechanical malfunction before take off. Dinner was bland and disgusting, the best thing were the dinner rolls which were fresh and warm. When you order drinks you are given a small 10oz plastic cup of the beverage, no cans and good luck getting a refill. After dinner is server the cabin crew vanishes never to be seen again. I was told to call 2 weeks before I left for seat assignment. I followed the instructions and was told they could not issue seats, I could not get seats in the US and now I can't get them in China. I was traveling with a child and therefore needed to ensure I had seats together. When I arrived at the airport they were able to get me two seats together for the trip from Shanghai to PEK and then PEK to SFO, or so I thought. First leg of the trip the same poor service to which I had become accustomed, no change there. When they scanned my ticket before boarding they said, oh your seat assignment has been changed and wrote a new seat number on my ticket, my nephew was located in another part of the plane. It seems that they do not feel the need to notify you of seat changes until you board. I told them this was unacceptable, to which they put me off to the side and proceeded to board a full flight. Eventually they managed to get two seats together. I will never fly this airline again.

Air China Customer review :  1 October 2013 by A Su (USA)

SFO-Beijing-BKK flight in June 2013 and the service was mediocre. An old aircraft with 60-70 people sharing one big TV monitor. When we first got onboard, it was very hot in the cabin, the stewardess said its normal and once we were flying the temperature would cool down. The flight was late so I missed my connecting flight. I was placed into an airport hotel. On the last flight coming home, there was water dropping from the overhead bin, so the stewardess put tissues and napkins in between the gaps.

Air China Customer review :  27 September 2013 by Margaret Schirmer (Australia)

My husband and I along with mother and a group of friends flew to Paris via Shanghai and returned today from Madrid via Beijing. We have traveled using many of the Asian airlines and I would have to say that I have never experienced a worse airline at every level. On the first leg to Shanghai we were unable to book our luggage through and were all forced to go through immigration, customs, pick up our baggage and then repeat the process in reverse late at night, even though we never left the airport. Told our flight was delayed 3 hours and were left to sit and wait in a deserted terminal, staff were rude and unhelpful. Experienced a 2 hour delay at Beijing on the return flight. No explanation was given for either delay. On all aircraft's the seating was the most cramped of any airline I have used, the staff were rude and the inflight entertainment mostly Asian. The European food option was limited and always seemed to run out at about aisle 50. Will never Air China again.

Air China Customer review :  26 September 2013 by A Lim (USA)

Houston, TX (IAH) to Hong Kong (HKG), 9/23/13. Arrived in Beijing (PEK) to transfer to Hong Kong on 9/23/13 around 04.30am. Found out our flight to Hong Kong was cancelled due to the Super Typhoon. Tried to reschedule but was met with the worst customer service! Ticket counter employee was not only rude but unhelpful. Stated the only way to get to Hong Kong was to get on a flight on 09/28/13 or get on a flight to Shenzhen the follow day 09/24/13. Told the employee that our temporary visa was only good until 9/24/13. The employee then proceeded to rudely state that once we get to Shenzhen we were on our own to pay for the train into Hong Kong that the airline will not pay for. Told that we had to get out of the terminal and go to the booking counter to get our flight changed. We proceeded to head out but was stopped by another Air China employee that rudely said we cannot leave because we don't have a ticket to fly out. Finally was able to get my new ticket. Got on my flight to Shenzhen at 11.30am, 9/24/13. Arrived in Shenzhen and caught a bus to Hong Kong. Stopped by the boarder security that said we were not allowed to leave Shenzhen and that our temporary visa was only good for Beijing! 0 customer service. Will never fly with this airline again.

Air China Customer review :  25 September 2013 by E Rani (Australia)

I flew on 2 international and 3 domestic flights with Air China. Overall the experience was stressful and frustrating. My booking allowed for changes to my flights but the staff I communicated with about this were unhelpful and slow. All except one of the flights departed late (between 15 minutes and 5 hours), without clear communication as to the reason for the delays and how long the flights would be delayed. It took an hour to check in for one flight due to the staff being disorganised and once I boarded that flight I found that my seat had been changed without checking with me first. The food was average. Usually I really enjoy flying and am happy with what I pay for. Air China didn't deliver and was terrible value for money.

Air China Customer review :  20 September 2013 by M Nisam (Thailand)

Flight 982 departed JFK late causing missed connection in Beijing to Air China Flight 979. Air China staff in Beijing were very rude. No apology for the missed connection and they sent passengers to a dreadful airport hotel and would only pay for shared rooms. If I wanted a single room I would have to pay for it myself, which I did. Air China is a member of Star Alliance and I expected them to re-book on the first available flight, which would have left at 6am the next morning, but they would only rebook on the next Air China flight which did not depart until the next afternoon. I arrived at my destination almost 24 hours late and paid for lodging and food in Beijing out of my pocket.

Air China Customer review :  20 September 2013 by T Nakamura (Japan)

Tokyo-Shanghai-Paris, and Paris-Beijing-Tokyo. Trusted this airline because it is a Star Alliance member. International transfer at Shanghai was terrible. You have to immigrate and emigrate, wasting a lot of time. Cabin crews were cheerful and trying to help passengers. Shanghai-to-Paris old A330, overall shabby, but seat was not bad with full-flat and wide leg space. Paris-to-Beijing new 777-300ER, clean and new aircraft, full-flat bed, but leg space was very narrow (not shot). Food was OK. Finally, they lost my bag even though intra-airline connection.

Air China Customer review :  17 September 2013 by I Rustandi (USA)

Given the at-best mixed reviews on Air China's economy class product on this site, I was pleasantly surprised at the JFK-PEK-SIN-PEK-JFK trip that I just completed this morning. When I searched for the flights, Air China was among the most competitive in terms of the price (only United and Delta were cheaper). The JFK-PEK legs were on B777-300ER while the PEK-SIN legs were on A330-300. Seat comfort was expected given the class, nothing stellar, but nothing too bad either. On all legs, AVOD was available. Food was decent, but as far as I could tell, only Asian options for the main dishes were available (featuring rice or noodle and some protein). Portion size might be small if you usually eat big (might be a problem for Americans). Flight attendants did a few rounds bringing water, but you could also venture to the galley yourself to help yourself with some water and snack. If you are Asian, the flight attendants would most likely talk to you in Mandarin first. I had no problems with transfers in PEK.

Air China Customer review :  14 September 2013 by R Singh (USA)

JFK-PEK, and SHA-PEK-JFK on return leg. JFK-PEK-JFK flights were on a new B777-300ER. Full flat seats in an angled 2-2-2 configuration. Very comfortable seats for sitting and sleeping. Good food and drinks with a full bar, and helpful FA's who sometimes struggled with English but could get by. Large IFE screen with AVOD although I wish they had a wider selection of English titles. Both flights were delayed by about half an hour. SHA-PEK was bang on time and was on a 777-200 which surprisingly had identical seats to the B777-300ER, ie, full flat - very nice for a 2-hour domestic flight. Very comfortable and they served a lavish hot breakfast on take-off. Baggage delivery was flawless. Overall very good experience and would recommend, but the lounges at both PEK and SHA need to be upgraded.

Air China Customer review :  12 September 2013 by Peter Johnston (UK)

Booked from SYD-PEK-LHR. On arriving at Sydney discovered a delay of 2.5 hours. Once in the air it transpired we were flying to Shanghai (with no notice of this). Arrived in Shanghai and were told we didn't need immigration cards as we were just transferring to PEK. However they made us exit the plane and walked us through Chinese immigration which took 1.5 hours. After a hellish crowd pushing through to the desk we were told to then walk back the same way we'd come and wait outside the same plane we'd just left. Rushed onto the plane and told to hurry, sat in the same seat as previously. Waited nearly 2 hours sitting on the tarmac before we took off. On reaching PEK we were told we'd missed the flight to London and were shouted "go to hotel". Provided nothing in terms of information / customer service or food or drink. We had to sit and wait until 6am for any staff and had no help or English speaking customer service staff. After finally waiting until 6am, told the flight would be 2.30pm. After waiting 13 hours in Beijing airport we finally got onto the flight to London Heathrow. The plane was hot / food was poor and the movies were also sub par.

Air China Customer review :  11 September 2013 by D Strass (Australia)

SYD-PEK-SYD economy on an A330-200. Plane was clean, comfortable, good seat pitch, good pillow and blanket. Flights left and arrived on time. Service was efficient with limited communication in English but friendly and pleasant. IFE was back of seat, films a little dated but nothing offensive or vulgar so great for a family and easy to watch. Dinner was plentiful but average tasting and breakfast if European go English. Same on the return average but plentiful. Drinks are warm but that's everywhere in China not just in the air. Bathrooms clean but can get dirty quickly and queuing is not always respected. Flight was full so strict on luggage weight and allowance, but the allowance is more than most airlines anyway over head lockers where plentiful and hardly used. I rang Air China and selected my seat in advance free over the phone and entered my FF details, very helpful and good English. For a cheap carrier better than most, direct flight on certain days SYD-PEK-SYD.

Air China Customer review :  10 September 2013 by F Gillone (Italy)

Milan-Beijing delayed about 3 hours so I lost the transfer to Sydney. I asked for assistance but the service was totally inadequate. They give me for the night an awful hotel (Golden Phoenix) in Beijing, they had no accessible bus-shuttle and didn't seem to care about it, everybody was unkind. Inflight, the crew did not speak good english and unprofessional, the entertainment did not work for a long time.

Air China Customer review :  10 September 2013 by M Alonso (USA)

Houston-Beijing-Bangkok. Food quality inconsistent and for the most part poor. Service poor and some flight attendants rude, can't have your phone on even in plane mode, and staff is not bilingual. If you have a medical problem they try to ignore you. I had an asthma attack and had to beg for oxygen which they were initially reluctant to give me.