Pisa Airport

Pisa Airport customer review

I have to agree about the chaos at Pisa Airport - both arrivals and departures have been the worst airport experiences of my life. On arrival we had to wait in a queue for 40 minutes on the tarmac in baking hot temperatures to get to security. Then another 45 minute wait to get the shuttle bus to the car hire terminal then another 45 minute wait to get to the Hertz desk. On departure a week later we made it through check in no space in departure lounge so went straight to the gate then sat at the gate until an hour past our departure time with no word as to what was happening. Eventually a passenger who spoke Italian found out that the baggage handlers had gone on strike. After another half hour we were told there was a 4 and a half hour delay to our flight. The lack of communication as well as the airport being too small for the number of flights using it means I will think very carefully before using this airport in future.

Pisa Airport customer review

I wish I had read these comments before travelling. The facilities are sadly as grim as others have described. The infrastructure is simply inadequate for the volume of passengers. The arrivals / baggage reclaim experience was hideous - we feared the worst when we saw the queue to leave the tarmac and enter the building then bags were assigned to carousels seemingly at random: too many bags arriving so slowly for too many people in too small a space. Then we too suffered the horrors of the interminable queue for the shuttle bus. Airlines should pre-warn their customers of what to expect. The best advice would be to ensure all your bags have wheels then walk round to the car hire place. Only about 350 - 400 metres I reckon. Over 15 different firms operate from far too small building; our experience leads me to recommend Europcar: they had a ticket based queuing system so you could dive out of the melee for water etc. Departure was similarly fraught. The air of nonchalance of the check-in staff as check-in time came and went with no clue as to which desks were about to open was irritating. As was the overcrowded departures hall and the bizarre repetition of the Ryanair embarkation route announcements over the PA. We were on Easyjet but the hordes responded with random queuing etc as others have reported. A good word for Easyjet - their service was impeccable on both journeys - but they and the other carriers should play hardball with the Pisa airport authorities.

Pisa Airport customer review

Mixed views of the airport - the queue for the hire car bus in 33 degrees and followed by an even longer 1.5 hour queue at the Budget car hire desk was not a pleasant experience (Avis and Hertz seemed better at clearing customers through the process) but is that the airport's fault or the lack of customer care from the hire car companies. The airport itself was east to get in and out off- the facilities land side were good for a regional airport (have you ever flown from the shed at Coventry!!) but a little disappointing air side - so called 'duty free' was rip off! Not as bad as I was expecting based on other people's comments - just wished I'd known it would have been quicker to walk to the hire car building rather than wait in sunshine for the bus!

Pisa Airport customer review

Great location. There is a rail station outside with trains to Pisa central and on to places such as Florence. Buses also stop outside. The motorway down to Rome and the Tuscan coast is also very close. Announcements were in Italian and English. A few shops and cafes and toilets dotted about the place. All the car hire outlets are a five minute shuttle bus ride away in an air conditioned building.

Pisa Airport customer review

Pisa airport seemed small and a little old but generally fine - my main concern was security; I accidentally ripped up my boarding pass (confusing my outbound & return e-boarding passes). Somehow I managed to get through security until that point with the wrong boarding pass.

Pisa Airport customer review

Pisa Airport road construction is still not finished. The parking station is always full - there's simply too little parking available. The hire-car pick-up and drop off is via a bus service and check-in is slow. Very helpful lady at the help desk but the terminal has few shops and little food. If you're flying EasyJet back to Gatwick as we were doing make sure you buy your in-flight food well before you arrive at check-in. Of course no water is allowed through security - but don't buy any more bottled water after security or they'll take it away too! Toilets at the gates are abysmal - one toilet to service all the passengers waiting for a 737.

Pisa Airport customer review

Pisa Airport on arrival the luggage collection area was a total sham. Crowded with no information it became an adventure game to try and find which carousel the luggage arrives. The toilets are to small and the queue was long so if you need to use the toilet you are in for a treat. The car rental area has now moved and is about 250 yards from the main terminal building and is accessed via a free shuttle bus service expect long queues here also. Forget the shuttle bus if you drop the car off early it's an obstacle course of a walk in the dark. Will they ever finish the road works? On departure also expect a long queue as the customs and baggage search fiasco starts where rules are made up depending on their mood. A total farce in my opinion. If you are buying cigarettes and drink get them in the supermarkets prior to departure.

Pisa Airport customer review

I flew from Pisa Airport in July the flight was two hours late departing. It was a Saturday morning and busy with scheduled and budget carriers the place was chaos - the reason for our delay? 'they didn't have enough buses to transport passengers from the terminal to the aircraft'. I flew from Pisa again on 8th Sep - late again - the place was chaos again. Reason for delay? 'they didn't have enough buses to transport passengers from the terminal to the aircraft'.When are the carriers going to get a grip on the airport management? They accept the fees from the passengers/carriers but do little to improve the service why? because the alternatives are so limited and they don't care? - Florence is too small Bologna too far away as is Rome - the place is a nightmare at busy times.

Pisa Airport customer review

Small but convenient. Almost in the town near the rail station. Word of caution when you pass immigration etc. to go upstairs the only facilities are vending machines and toilets don't expect bars and duty free shops.

Pisa Airport customer review

Just a note on arriving. If you are going to Florence or anywhere by train and your not on your own. The queue for train tickets soon builds up so while one of you wait for the bags the other one should shoot out and get the tickets to save queuing for 20-30 mins. Train service is excellent.