Mauritius Airport

"terminal was nice and clean"

Trip Verified | Check in was slow but this was the airlines responsibility and not a reflection on the airport. Signage around the airport is good and the terminal was nice and clean. There is no smoking anywhere inside the airport. Smoking is only permitted in designated areas outside the terminal building. As I was a business class passenger, I used the fast track through passport control and security and I was pleased I could, as the queue to use the normal passenger route was very long indeed. Security screening was as efficient as it could be, and the only delay to the process was passengers unpacking items which needed to be screened separately. It still amazes me that passengers still don’t know how items need to be separated for screening and what items should be removed from the body, belts, coins, watches etc. So passengers slowed the process and not the screening and security staff. There is a good amount of seating available in the departure lounge. A good range of shopping and food and beverages is available in the departure lounge but there is no electronics shop. 3 hours free WiFi is available and while speed isn’t fantastic, it’s sufficient.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"I was extremely impressed"

Trip Verified | I was extremely impressed. My flight from Paris arrived at 05:35 and there was a bit of a walk from the arrival gate to immigration, but there didn’t appear to be any other arriving flights. There was no queue and I was processed within seconds of arriving at immigration. On arrival at baggage reclaim my bag was already on the carousel. I think it’s safe to say I was out of the airport within 20 minutes of arrival.
Date VisitOctober 2019

"They should hire more efficient staff "

(South Africa)

Not Verified | This was our second trip to Mauritius and we are still coming back regardless of the horrible waiting at the airport for passport control. I have 3 small kids and we had to wait 2 hours to get through. My watch has a timer on and the kids and I actually timed how long it took the staff to process passports. It took 10 min per 1-2 tourist at a time. This is the high season and it is horrible. They should hire more efficient staff and extra for peak seasons!
Date VisitDecember 2018

"I got everything back"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | Arrived after a very long journey and must have been very sleepy when leaving the aircraft so I forgot my wallet on board. Noticed it after the immigration and panicked. Wasn’t allowed to go back but the friendly immigration officer told me to contact the ground service in the arrival hall. A lovely lady immediately made a call and after 15-20 minutes I got everything back, the cash, cards etc. Fantastic. Immigration was really fast and so was the baggage delivery. Hopefully the departure process will be as good!
Date VisitAugust 2019

"the worst airport for arrival"

Not Verified | Probably the worst airport for arrival we have ever experience. Took 90 minutes to get through immigration and some of the officers decided to leave half way through when there was hundreds of people in the queue. This has been the case for years and every time I visited the island there would be 2 officers working and hundreds of passengers who have flown for more than 12 hours waiting to go through. And their attitudes stinks too. They don’t care. Being a Mauritian myself I am ashamed of their behaviours. It great building new airport, but please spend some money to train these guys in how to welcome people in their country.
Date VisitJuly 2019

"worst arrival experiences"

Not Verified | Probably one of the worst arrival experiences ever. We had a one hour wait to go through immigration. Joined the line for visitors and after about 20 minutes staff disappeared leaving only one person.on duty. In the meantime, they opened another line which the flight behind were using. The one person on duty then started prioritising aircrew. Ok, that's fine but we were just left. One guy noticed this and seemed to be summoning more help but this was not forthcoming. Returning home tomorrow and dreading the airport.
Date VisitJune 2019

"neat and pleasant airport"

(South Africa)

Trip Verified | Early morning arrival at 0500 and through immigration + baggage claim and customs in +/- 45mins. Very neat and pleasant airport with friendly officials. Departure was super quick, super friendly drop + go check-in agent. Lots of seating available at gate. Boarding on time and pushback 10mins early. Beautiful tropical island to visit with a vibrant and friendly mix of cultures and tastes.
Date VisitMarch 2019

"efficient and very polite"

Not Verified | Can't understand the other negative reviews on this website. But my experience is completely different. Virtually no waiting at all when I arrived. I found the staff to be efficient and very polite. Airport also immaculately clean and very modern, far more so than Gatwick from which I had just flown. I've flown a lot in North America, Africa, Europe and extensively through out Asia but honestly this is one of the best airports I've experienced in recent years.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"Worst airport I have seen"

Not Verified | Worst airport I have seen. Immigration queues of over 60 min on arrival. Should have more agents on the counters. For a country which derives huge inflows from tourism, the attention to passenger comfort is pathetic. Officers were slow, inefficient and some quite rude to passengers. NO drinking water fountain at the airport. They expect passengers to buy US$3 water bottles for quenching their thirst. Bad attitude of staff at shops. Duty free shops have little variety and higher prices than most asian airports for most goods.
Date VisitJune 2018

"clean, green and modern"

(South Africa)

Verified Review | SA190, 11 Oct 17, arrival off a full Airbus A340. Customs for foreigners took +/- 45mins. Customs official friendly. Airport terminal is clean, green and modern. Our arrival was at 16H00, and the peak international arrivals is between 11-15H00, which is described as chaotic by the locals. Bags off the aircraft was quick, immigration was a breeze. SA191, 22 Oct 17 departing to JNB. Only three customs officials on duty and took quite a while. My official was super-friendly - the rest looked stressed and grumpy! Security was OK. Quite amazing to think that this little country of 1.2 million inhabitants processes 1.5 million international tourists. All in all, a pleasant experience.
Date VisitOctober 2017