Mauritius Airport

Mauritius Airport customer review

Though queuing in front of the immigration desks seemed a rather hard time when disembarking from a long-haul night flight the rest was OK - quick luggage delivery (immigration queuing time left time enough for luggage to be delivered!). It's a bit of shame there is just a small stairway to get from rental car return office (in arrival hall) to departure hall but we managed to make it pretty quickly. No queue upstairs in spite of three jumbos leaving a the same time. I must say our flight to Paris counted 60 people only. Well equipped tax free shop showing prices in euros. Nice business class waiting lounge from air mauritius shared by partner airlines such as Air France Emirates or South African Airways. There is a first class lounge for the same airlines -doesn't look much better. On the whole rather good terminal for such a small and comparatively poor island

Mauritius Airport customer review

Unlike other comments I have a few nice things to say. The amount of people at the airport depends on what time of day you are arriving / departing. As I was arriving at 08:40 I can remember seeing only two other planes parked at the airport. So for me Immigration was the only problem. I agree it was hectic - there are only about 3-4 desks with everyone forming messy queues as we were all eager to experience this beautiful island. Nice views of the airfield though. I remember walking through immigration and thinking "wow" because they've really done up the airport since my previous visits to the island. It was a vast improvement.

Mauritius Airport customer review

There is one stupid design at this airport. Their rental car counters are located inside the arrival hall. Then when you return the car key and settle the bill before departure you have to walk pass the security check outside of the arrival hall - although the security guards were friendly at the time this design made me feel like breaking the regulation. After returning the key I have to take my luggage and walk up the stairs outside of the building under the rain (sorry no escalator connecting the arrival and departure hall) to the departure hall.

Mauritius Airport customer review

Just returned after 3 weeks on this wonderful island. However the airport departure experience was so awful I expect many people would think twice about returning. Security check before check in was not just chaotic as the previous author suggests but an absolute disaster. Three 747 loads of people in a queue with only one machine! After check in the immigration queues were totally unacceptable. A further 25 minutes queuing with a three year old and four year old is not a lot of fun I can tell you. Only had a short time to enjoy the very pleasant lounge. SSR airport looks better than it did a few years ago but they really have got to sort the queues out.

Mauritius Airport customer review

Mauritius' Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam Airport (SSR) is located in the south-east of the island and transfer time to anywhere else is usually an hour. For a small country of 1.2 million it is basic but has all the usual facilities even if it's not particularly attractive. There is a baggage security check just before the check-in counters although it isn't particularly thorough and queuing was a bit chaotic. Two lounges are available for First and Business Class passengers one of which is handled by Air Mauritius. This is the one I used for a Singapore Airlines flight. Again it did the basic job and had all the usual facilities such as internet fax machine shower and so on. Also a lot of staff on hand which seems to be standard in hotels and restaurants on the island. Okay overall. One thing to remember is that immigration control on arrival in Mauritius are keen that all visitors leave in due course - and insist on seeing an onward ticket. This can make things complicated if you arrive on either a one-way or open-jaw ticket as I did.