Marseille Airport

Marseille Airport customer review

I have used Marseille in the past and found it perfectly acceptable. However last week I endured the new terminal 2 (warehouse would be a better description) for low-cost airlines; it is a truly horrible experience. I know that when travelling low-cost it is just that and you get what you pay for but this takes the concept to a whole new (lower) level. They obviously did not waste any money on decorating as it is mainly bare walls pipes concrete floors etc. On the few places they actually put some paint it is the most disgusting mixture of lime green purple and orange you can imagine. You get plenty of time to admire the 'design' of this box as you queue to put your luggage onto a conveyor belt (about 20 minutes and quite what cost it saves is beyond me) and to go through security (about 45 minutes). If this is the future of mass air transport it will surely kill itself it is a totally joyless and annoying experience. At least when you get to the aircraft it feels fairly luxurious.

Marseille Airport customer review

Several more good experiences of this efficient airport in February and again last week - given its increasing busy-ness I am always surprised that so few passengers comment on it but maybe that's a sign of overall contentment! My usual route is MME-AMS-MRS and return (KLM - rather wobbly Fokkers on both legs but generally personable crews and reasonable timekeeping) which means I get to use Hall 4 at MRS undeniably pleasanter than Hall 1 or the new low-cost terminal MP2 (although one of my daughters used this in December and thought it perfectly adequate). Check-in staff at MRS are always pleasant the waiting area by the gates is light and airy and (since changing from Europcar to Avis) I have found the collection and return of hire cars to be quick and hassle-free. If carless the bus service to Aix is frequent fast and relatively cheap: all in all this airport provides a good start or end to your trip.

Marseille Airport customer review

Marseille is my local airport and I use it a lot. Generally it works well and is a pleasant experience for a 'small' airport. Parking is excellent and only a short 5 minute walk from the main terminal and at 620 euros per day very reasonable. I did have one bad experience recently where passport control took over 40 minutes coming in from London. For some reason they had no EU passport desk and delays were lengthy for non-EU passengers. At least the bags were available when we cleared passport control. One word on the new low-cost terminal. This is now open but clearly not finished (as of mid-December). The decor is sparse with lots of concrete but hopefully this will be improved soon.

Marseille Airport customer review

I really like this airport and support the comments by Martin Hambleton below. Check-in desks are normally only opened at a specified time before departure so arriving too early is not a good idea. There are some shops before security selling some Provence souvenirs. Security is normally quick and once through to the departure lounges it is very peaceful. There is a cafe to buy drinks and snacks. The so-called Duty Free shop is mostly empty - reason - the prices are higher than in the high street for EU travellers - so buy your Pastis before travelling. The car hire pick up and drop off is just across road from the terminal building - extremely easy and efficient. Within 5 minutes you can be on the motorway. Just as close is the bus station with regular services to Marseille Aix-en-Provence etc. I always travel via MRS when I can. I also support Mr Hambleton in confirming there is a business class lounge called "Cezzane".

Marseille Airport customer review

I recently travelled through MRS and found it perfectly acceptable as an airport. In particular hiring a car was easy only 50m from the terminal and well signposted (as was the returns area). One area that could do with improving is the catering airside.

Marseille Airport customer review

Recently I was in Marseille aiport and I can assure everybody that there are duty free shops and a business class lounge. Now there may be a domestic side that doesn't have these things but there was a duty free shop newseller a coffee shop and one or two other shops airside. MRS is not a large airport but it is easy to get to and out of. Staff friendly particularly the tourist information desk. There are other shops bars in the arrival and departure areas - which are all on the same level.

Marseille Airport customer review

Whilst the air conditioning is being upgraded in the check in hall in T1 the airport as a whole is big enough spacious enough and friendly enough. Food and drink/food is expensive - but not too much (same old all over the world high prices) We were out of the airport in our hire car in 50 mins from touch down. Car hire offices were 50 yards from the terminal and on return had friendly check in staff for our delayed flight. It's ok. It's no architectural gem but it does the job efficiently and quickly which is what you want.

Marseille Airport customer review

By the way Mr Parra should know that the business centre (or executive lounge) is in Hall 4. I have seen it with my own eyes and full details are on the airport's own website. Has Mr Parra actually been to the airport?!

Marseille Airport customer review

I have used MRS regularly for the past three years and find it a quick friendly and pleasant airport. Admittedly I am among the 'other' (inferior?) i.e. economy class passengers that one of your correspondents objects to sitting with but there you go - the downside of democracy hey?! It is not true that the car hire pick up is in a distant corner of a car park - it is much closer to the arrivals hall than at Nice for example and is very clearly signed. Once in your car you are quickly out of the airport and onto the excellent Autoroutes du Sud network or in my case the quick D7 to Aix. I like MRS!

Marseille Airport customer review

It is evident that Mr. Martin Hambleton doesnot know Marseille airport as well as he mentions. There are no business class lounges at all. I checked with the Air France staff at the information counter in the international departure hall and they confirmed that there is no business class lounge at the airport. There is also NO duty free hall at all in whatsoever international departure hall at Marseille airport. I know there are some shops but these are not in the departure hall. I used both the Schengen and the european departure halls and I could not find any F&B facilities. Maybe Mr. Hambleton could be so nice to inform all air passengers where the business class lounges are located where the F&B facilities in the departure halls are (I do not mean the Flo and other brasseries which are not located in the actual departure halls) and where on Marseille airport we can buy duty free products. I fly once a week have visited hundreds of airports all over de world and feel that Marseille is the worst airport to spend your time waiting. No comparison at all with Schiphol Frankfurt Copenhagen Hong Kong Bangkok Nice Vienna etc.