Isle Of Man Airport

"let down by poor organisation and some rude staff"

Trip Verified | I travel through the airport four times every week. There is a strange combination of helpful efficiency and friendliness from staff, and then appalling rudeness and inefficiency from a few individuals who seem to rejoice in being officious and unhelpful. Today, most notably the gentleman at the entrance to the security queue was particularly obnoxious. with four flights boarding and departing wIthin a short space of time, only 50% of the scanning facility was operating. Delays were over 40 minutes. It’s a shame this wonderful island is occasionally let down by poor organisation and some rude staff.
Date VisitFebruary 2020

"helpful staff at security"

Not Verified | The airport in general was great with no queues, clean and helpful staff at security. One negative point was the disgusting manners of the shop assistant in the duty free shop. (Sunday lunchtime) After having a wonderful weekend in the Isle of Man with nothing but friendliness this rudeness was disappointing for our way home.
Date VisitJune 2019

"Very humiliating"

Trip Verified | Arrived in plenty of time with no lines. My laptop bag was selected for further screening which I do not mind. Passing through the security gate I bleeped, again I do not mind and the security officers asks me to take off my shoes as they may have a steel pin, I know they have not as I deliberately travel with the same shoes, again I don't mind. By now my bag is waiting to be manually checked and I am being body screened which is now in process so a line starts forming and everyone is waiting for me. However when I protest at the soles of my feet being tested I am merely advised the name of the person I should complain to, the rudest airport staff I have ever experienced, worse than Manchester, made me stand against the wall like I was being arrested and lift my feet in order to "wand" the soles, yes the soles of my feet. Very humiliating.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"it is still the same chaos"

Trip Verified | Ronaldsway is tiny but it is obviously the intention of the staff to make transiting this airport as unpleasant as possible. Arrivals were fine but departure was not a nice experience, the previous LCY flight had been cancelled, (not an uncommon occurrence) and the check-in staff couldn't decide whether help the stranded passengers or check-in people for the next flight. I understand security has been improved, no it hasn't, it is still the same chaos and rude staff you would rather be somewhere else. I have had two hip replacements which cause everything to bleep, so why get me to remove my shoes and then a cursory pass with the wand? When boarding was announced, those requiring assistance, us, were told to go to the 'green area' outside security - needless to say we disregarded the instruction. We've been flying to IoM for twenty years and every-time we pass thru' Ronaldsway, we vow - never again but that means we wont see the family on the island!
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Lovely little airport"

Not Verified | Lovely little airport the bigger airports could learn from them, had a meal before returning flight and it was value for money and extremely tasty, clean toilets and helpful happy staff, it has encouraged me to also visit the island for a holiday.
Date VisitMay 2018

"staff manners are just appalling"

Not Verified | Absolutely the most incompetent, unhelpful and rude staff I have ever come across! The line for security was ridiculously long (only opening one of the lines as opposed to two) with uneducated staff causing a group of people to miss a domestic flight they were all over an hour early for. After emerging from security not only did they miss a flight but they were told extremely rudely “it was your fault I’m sure you would be able to arrive earlier” yes maybe, but they should have to. I am completely appalled at the state of this airport. Serious action needs to be taken for this to be an appropriate place for anyone to go to. Honestly, the staff manners are just appalling.
Date VisitApril 2018

"not an airport I would recommend"

Unverified | My experience off your staff is that they are rude, inconsiderate and either too stuck on rules and regulations or don't care! I was told to put my liquids into a bag that was inadequate and did not meet the size that is recommended by air travel guidelines! The recommended size for travel is 20cm x 20cm, the bag offered to be was barely 18x18! This meant I had to throw items away unnecessarily. The older lady was ignorant and rude, she didn't even look at me but just shoved this 'sandwich type bag' in my face. The bag I had was adequate and fulfilled the standard, it had got me through check in at Gatwick with no problems. Its like their staff just wanted to cause stress and upset where none was needed. Pedantic is our the word! My ID was never checked, my boarding pass was scanned and on I went. I could have been anyone but obviously the two women were more interested in their gossiping than security! Not a good experience and not an airport I would recommend. I suppose being the only airport, you probably know you can get away with acting like this and providing rubbish service because not a lot of people have a choice to go elsewhere. Very very bad show!
Date VisitOctober 2017

"not a good experience"

Verified Review | Have been using this airport my whole life however today I actually experienced the legendary queue. 40 mins to get thru security in a small, provincial airport. The security area has been expanded however there was only 1 scanner open and less than helpful staff. The excuse was that there were a couple of flights leaving within 10 mins of each other! If that's the case, roster on more staff. Lots of stress, temper and disbelief from passengers, not a good experience.
Date VisitOctober 2017

"Traveling here is an ordeal"

The airport itself is fine but the security is on power trip. I had liquids in a plastic zip bag and security demanded I put it in a flimsy sandwich bag. The liquids bag I use is clear same dimensions, I have traveled internationally with said bag no problem. Isle of Man could use the tourist dollars. They should be facilitating passengers not putting them through a gauntlet of meaningless regulations. Traveling here is an ordeal. 6 months ago had similar experience with a Gate agent at IOM.
Date VisitMay 2017

"nice small airport"

Nice small airport, good check in efficient and extremely friendly security. Excellent seating airside and good cafe after security or full restaurant before security if you prefer. On arrival bags came out quickly. No airbridges but covered walkway to terminal.
Date VisitDecember 2016