Chiang Mai Airport

"Avoid this airport at all costs"

(Thailand)

Not Verified | Worst airport and employees ever! Not one person working here spoke to me. Just hand motions that I’m apparently supposed to understand. My friend and I were the only two people in line to check in, and noticed the service counter woman mix up our boarding passes and luggage tags. She informed us of the mix up, and when I told her that was ridiculous and to please fix the tags - she acted as though it was an inconvenience to do her job correctly. Thank goodness she didn’t have a full line of people behind us to screw their stuff up too! Not one person we interacted with at this airport was friendly, helpful, or competent. Avoid this airport at all costs if you can.
Date VisitJanuary 2020

"There is nothing"

Trip Verified | Worst airport ever. Arrived for a 1.20pm flight to Hanoi. Have flown domestically out of Chiang Mai a dozen times. Assumed there would be a similar level of food outlets in international as domestic. There is nothing. You can buy 2 minute noodles and a soft drink. No restaurant, no fast food, no bar. Travelling with a hungry, cranky child.
Date VisitDecember 2019

"unprofessional, inadequate and arbitrary luggage check"

Trip Verified | The most unprofessional, inadequate and arbitrary luggage check ever. We were shocked about the way we (and our belongings) were treated when we entered the airport for the first (and overall pointless) check-up. They were focused on batteries and power banks that they unpacked aggressively my whole luggage which I've put before neatly in my bag. I asked them to handle at least a bag with some glass bottles containing my medicine with care but I just got ignored. Then they scanned every bag and some single items they took out of my bag again. They just threw my belongings rudely in a tray. It took my partner and me quite a while to sort this mess out. Thankfully we weren't in a rush. As a criminologist, I'm aware of certain (none-EU) security standards but this action was completely inappropriate and a waste of time. Especially as I could have brought easily a bottle of nitroglycerin with me - no one would have known. Amateurs! Furthermore, food and drinks are even for an airport overpriced. They charged more for a coffee than in London - ridiculous!
Date VisitJune 2019

"a less than rewarding experience"

Not Verified | Chaotic, lack of facilities and no departure board all make for a less than rewarding experience. Incomprehensible announcements and general chaos. No soap in toilets. No ATM or decent food - avoid this airport if you can.
Date VisitFebruary 2019

"not a lot of food options after security"

Trip Verified | Left Chiang Mai for Bangkok. All bags are security screened prior to entering the airport which meant a bit of a line outside in the sun. I get the security behind it but it was a pain in the butt. There was a lot of space at the check in counter and security moved well. We had all of our water taken away at security but there is filtered water near the departure gates. There is not a lot of food options after security. A few coffee shops and news stands. Boarding area was not too big for the number of passengers going through the area.
Date VisitDecember 2018

"friendly and helpful employees"

Not Verified | Upon arrival in Chiang Mai, we had to take the bus to the terminal, which thankfully was a quick trip. Customs was fast and the baggage claim was easy. Even as a small airport, there were friendly and helpful employees. It was easy to get around, especially finding taxis. I would prefer Chiang Mai over Bangkok airport, and I will continue to go to this airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"worst airport I have visited"

(Thailand)

Trip Verified | This is the worst airport I have ever visited - and I have visited many. All flights were cancelled on New Year's Eve - yet foreigners were not contacted to inform of the cancellations of their flights. Both the airlines and airport continued to show flights scheduled long after the airport had been closed (see attached). There were no airline staff in the airport and the information staff were beyond useless, leaving people stranded in the airport overnight, many losing a lot of money on connecting flights. The information staff refused to help and even refused to let people use the phones. We were not offered so much as a glass of water. People from Germany, the USA, the UK were simply told "come back tomorrow". When I asked to speak to a manager, a very rude and unpleasant female member of staff on the information desk told me: "You can speak to the police" and called airport security police. Meanwhile the security personnel were lying about on the floor and across seats. Until this point we have received no compensation for the cancelled flights, nor any apology. Since I have now discovered that Chiang Mai airport frequently closes at times of celebration, citing the reason that planes cannot take off when there are fireworks/lanterns, I strongly suggest you do not go there. They have no respect for foreigners, and are simply interested in taking our cash.
Date VisitJanuary 2018

"super easy to navigate"

Verified Review | This was one of my favorite airports in Thailand (also helps that Chiang Mai is just such a beautiful place). The airport was clean and super easy to navigate, had a good selection of places to buy things from and when arriving we got a great cheap price on a taxi. Unlike Bangkok, we were not asked for an outrageous price to get to our hotel, it was a simple 150 baht to get across town (about $4.50 USD). Very organized, I'd go back anytime!
Date VisitSeptember 2017

"airport very crowded, sometimes not enough seats"

(Thailand)

I was traveling to NYC, USA, on 24 Feb, 2017. Airport very crowded, sometimes not enough seats and seats were uncomfortable. No water fountain on ground level, one water bottle on second level to serve too many people so there was a long queue. I finally gave up and bought a bottle of water. Ladies room had no soap, no paper towels, no hand drier. Very unsanitary! In contrast, the facilities at the Seoul airport were cleaner, had hand soap, paper towels, and comfortable seats.
Date VisitFebruary 2017

"not enough space for all the people"

(China)

Arrived into Chiang Mai on the 31st of December from Luang Prabang in Laos, and it was chaos! Several Chinese flights arrived at the same time and there was not enough space for all the people. No staff available to direct the people and nobody knew where the line started. With only 4 officers on duty, it took us more than 2 hours to get through immigration. My pre-booked driver left because he thought I was not on the flight and there was no way to contact him because the airport wi-fi was not working. They desperately need to change the international arrivals area to accommodate all the passengers. Departure was a domestic flight to Bangkok which was a bit better than the horrific experience in the international arrivals terminal. Will definitely avoid this airport in the future as far as I can.
Date VisitDecember 2016