Cebu Airport

"very poorly managed"

Not Verified | Worst airport I've ever been to. Starting with the check-in ticketing took 30 minutes, the lady at the counter was typing each letter with her index fingers. Next, the Terminal Fee (850 PHP per person tax) if you dont have cash, be prepared to get taxed ever harder at the nearby currency exchange (lady told me $20usd was 1500 PHP) the terminal tax can only be paid in cash. Than, the immigration passage - can they be any slower? It took another 20 minutes at the window for them to process. Lastly, the security check, wow - about 80% of bags will be flagged and they will ask you to remove your belongings and start throwing things away. This airport is very poorly managed and literally drains you of all the fun and excitement you had during the trip, be prepared.
Date VisitNovember 2018

"customs delays are absurd"

Not Verified | Like everyone, I was looking forward to the new international terminal being open hoping for faster processing and a gate arrival, not being parked in a stand off position. The customs delays are absurd. Processing time was in excess of two hours from joining the queue. This is totally unacceptable nowadays. Arriving at 1.00am from Singapore, we did not leave until 3.00am. This is not the first time this has happened. The automated gates are working but only for Philippine citizens. Half of the Customs booths staffed. At least the construction work has been cleaned up a bit. The bathrooms are a big improvement but when you are arriving in the middle of the night, you just want to leave and get home. For those travelling with small children the delay must have been unbearable.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"was left feeling rather disappointed"

Trip Verified | After travelling here for many years I was excited to experience the new airport but was left feeling rather disappointed. The building itself looks great but once you get into the transit area there isn’t a lot going going on. Everything in the Duty Free is priced in USD, I think since we are in the Philippines it should be priced in PHP. People don’t have time to do currency conversions in their head and most people will have left over change in PHP. As a UK citizen, I also think the prices are quite extortionate in there, I saw a plush toy that was $65, which deterred me from looking at anyrhing else. There also needs to be more seating, in the section I was in, there were approximately 64 seats for 3 gates - with some gates having passengers for 2 flights a few hours apart. I would also look into improving the wifi, at the moment you have to scroll through a list of numbers/country codes, it would make better sense to have the countries listed alphabetically or give you the option to type it in. It also times out after about 15 minutes. But I would much prefer Changi Airport’s approach and just let people connect without having to enter a series of information. Surprisingly, lots of people have tablets but not phones. I think the terminal fee also needs to be abolished, when you book your tickets it tells you the that the airport taxes etc are covered, so why is Mactan trying to take advantage of people on the way out? It does not allow passengers to leave on a positive note. All in all, I actually prefer Cebu’s Domestic terminal as oposed to the aforementioned International (T2) terminal. They have a better selection of places to eat at like Jollibee and Dunkin Donuts. But I do think the departure hall is a much better improvement in comparison to the old airport.
Date VisitOctober 2018

"lacks seats at the waiting area"

(Philippines)

Trip Verified | There were so many cancelled and delayed flights to Manila because of the accident of Xiamen Airlines on the runway of Manila airport. I noticed that this airport lacks seats at the waiting area and near the check-in area that passengers had to sit or lie on the marbled floor.
Date VisitAugust 2018

"Bad management"

Not Verified | AC blower unit was working blowing out hot air and using electricity so I asked 4 different employees and a manager if they could fix or look into the problem since it was ridiculously hot. I had just taken a shower and was sweating and nobody working there could care less. Bad management is all I can say.
Date VisitJune 2018

"can't wait for the new airport"

Trip Verified | I can't wait for the new airport to be ready for service. Cebu airport is much better organized than Manila airport even without the newest building. The service and border control are both excellent! There are only two minor issues: 1) The traffic-jam outside of the airport. 2) Almost all airports around the world will advise you not to push carts next to the carousel at the baggage claim area. Most of the airports have yellow line around the belt as well. But, not in Cebu airport. The ground crew will push the carts lying around the carousel evenly, so that it will slow down and create chaos for you to pick up your luggage.
Date VisitMarch 2018

"be prepared to have the cash in PHP"

(Sweden)

Trip Verified | There are barely any airports in the world that still charges airport fees, but this airport does! When I came to the airport, I was told that you need to pay an airport fee at 750 Philippines peso per person, but they did not accept any payment by card, only cash in local currency or in USD, but if you pay in USD, the fee becomes 16 dollars which is more than 750 PHP. There is a cash machine nearby, so I chose to pick up PHP in cash instead, but besides an extra 250PHP fee to pick up the cash from the machine, fee from your home bank, the exchange rate from the ATM was very bad, I ended up paying almost double the airport fee. So be prepared to have the cash in PHP with you when you come to the airport.
Date VisitFebruary 2018

"excruciatingly slow and arduous process"

Trip Verified | An excruciatingly slow and arduous process. International passengers: Be warned that you will need 750 PHP cash (or equivalent dollars) to pay international terminal fee. This fee is not included (bafflingly) in your airline ticket. If you are not carrying sufficient cash, you may be forced to use the ATM. None of the airline staff are helpful about this process and they will simply say that it is not their responsibility. Thankfully for us, we found a couple of people who were willing to give us cash as we paid their store bills using our credit card. I almost missed my flight because of this stupid process. After this, there is another slow process of security check and immigration. Even though we had a huge queue, there were only 2 counters open for immigration and security checks. It made the whole process very painful for us. As we arrived at the airport quite early, we were able to complete this process but I can easily imagine someone missing their flight if they arrive only 2 hours before departure.
Date VisitDecember 2017

"check-in is a slow arduous task"

(Philippines)

Verified Review | Mactan Cebu international Airport. It is my hub and departure point everytime I have a plane ticket out of my home city. The Domestic Terminal Section is pretty much straight forward. Once you get past the initial security you are at the check-in counters. If you have the unfortunate luck of arriving early and your check-in counter is still closed you'll be hard press to find seating or any lounging areas. Once you get through check-in which is a slow arduous task, you'll be in the pre departure gate which on my opinion is hopelessly at over capacity during peak hours as airlines share gates with turn around times within minuets of each other. If you're not careful you might end up boarding the wrong plane as the path leading to your ramp from the gate crisscross with arrivals and other departing flights.
Date VisitJune 2017

"experience with immigration was aggravating"

(South Korea)

Arrival: My family and I flew into this airport on the 3rd of July around 1 am and our experience with immigration here was aggravating. Considering this place is promoted for being a popular tourist destination, one would think that the airport would be more appealing and the employees more productive. The line for immigration was very long with more people joining as their plane lands. When we got there there were 2 people handling tourists with foreign passports and one for crew/Philippine passport holders. Not even 15 minutes later the female immigration agent (there was a male and a female) left. For the next 30-40 minutes the male handled the foreign passports all by himself. This was a slow process. Considering the time, this was very frustrating especially travelling with young children. I left my family in line while I went into their office to find out/inquire why there was only one agent. In the office I found 4 people, and 3 desks. The first desk in front of the door had an older man that looked like he was going through paperwork. The second desk had 2 people, a male and a female. The female was seated but laying her upper body across the desk messing with her phone while the male was seated with his feet on the desk. In the back room there was another person that was also sitting at their desk leaning over. I asked the room in general why there is only one person outside handling foreign passports when there are so many people coming through to get processed and hopefully move onto their next destination? The male with his feet on the table responded and asked me if I am a Filipino. I told him no, I am American but I was born there. He came outside with me and said no there are 2 agents. I said yes there are 2 agents but only one handling foreign passports. He asked me how many was in my party and told me to take them through the Filipino/crew line. There should be more than one person handling the flow of tourists/residents coming through especially at that time. Departure: My family and I got to the airport around 9.45 pm despite our flight being at 01.20 am. Before you leave the country you have to pay an exit fee but first must present your boarding pass. We walk over to check in and turn over our passport, and bags expecting to get our boarding passes pretty fast. 5 minutes in another agent is called, at 10 they keep handing over our passports to the agent at the next line to swipe our passports and typing something. 30 minutes later there are now 4-5 agents helping. Another agent comes to us and tells us that our kids cannot sit on the scale by counter. My husband and I are frustrated having been here waiting for over 30 minutes to get our boarding pass. Our kids were out of the way and entertained during this long, boring, frustrating process. Manager is called at 1 hr mark and soon get manual boarding pass. The problem according to this agent is despite having a valid ticket, passport and visa for South Korea, their system kept telling them to detain me for invalid info. Every station I stopped at kept detaining me because of this pass. At midnight I finally get my boarding pass. Other things wrong: Bathrooms are not clean with half inoperable. No charging stations for electronics. Chairs are stained and uncomfortable. Waiting area stinks. Smoking area is small and unventilated. Vending machines don't work very well. Dining areas are tiny with limited seats.
Date VisitJuly 2017